sometime between now and never.

Hall of Monuments Update?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

This is something that the team is still working on, and it has not been back-burnered. We’re sorry for the time that it’s taken to correct this, but as mentioned previously, we want to ensure we do it right so we’re taking the time to research every aspect of the fix.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

This is something that the team is still working on, and it has not been back-burnered. We’re sorry for the time that it’s taken to correct this, but as mentioned previously, we want to ensure we do it right so we’re taking the time to research every aspect of the fix.

I appreciate that Anet is not taking the easy way out with this and just letting them keep their ill-gained rewards.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I appreciate that Anet is not taking the easy way out with this and just letting them keep their ill-gained rewards.

>.>

It’s not ill gained rewards, it was a bug. People who created a character when the bug was active were assigned the HoM rewards. That’s all they had to do to get them. To call it “I’ll gained” implies they did something wrong.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Raven.3957

Raven.3957

Almost another month down the toilet.. Really hope this is coming out with the next patch come this point in time. Otherwise I’d be pretty ticked off to find out that its been fixed and anet is waiting to release it with the Lions Arch content update, or something like that, as a feature…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Almost another month down the toilet.. Really hope this is coming out with the next patch come this point in time. Otherwise I’d be pretty ticked off to find out that its been fixed and anet is waiting to release it with the Lions Arch content update, or something like that, as a feature…

Considering that it is not a game-breaking (or even playability related) issue, it is rather unlikely that they would push it out on its own but rather wait until an already scheduled patch.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Any-Updates-On-HOM-I-NEED-MY-REWARDS/5125458

Posted by: Talesoffan.2059

Talesoffan.2059

Hi Guys,

I really want that black widow ranger pet, but I never played Guild Wars. I know it takes a ton of time to get those 30 points, but is it still feasible? As in, are people still selling the needed items? Thanks!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yup, it’s very doable. My husband and I started playing GW1 again last November just to do Hall of Monuments stuff. I’m now at 29/30 (slacked off a bit here and there, otherwise I would have been done a bit sooner), and he’s at around 27/30. I honestly haven’t bought much at all from other players to get my points, but Kamadan is still heavily populated with sellers/buyers every day.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars/comments/iu3qw/a_hom_guide_to_3050_aimed_at_beginners/

That’s a really good guide to follow (or use to give you a general outline of what to do).

Posted by: Neyensb.2581

Neyensb.2581

Hey,

It is still possible, there are many guides to 30/50 Hom.
like: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards
You can just play the campaigns and farm up some platinum/ecto
A lot of the 30points can be “bought” like mini-pets, prestige armor and weapons

expect to play at least 150-200hours of gw1 to get to 30/50. unless you are rich ofcourse

Talesoffan.2059

Ah ok, thanks guys!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Also worth noting that you get a free tormented weapon in August once per account.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Also worth noting that you get a free tormented weapon in August once per account.

For this reason, it’s good to start as soon as possible to make sure you are able to get a character through all the campaigns before the Wayfarer’s event starts.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Talesoffan.2059

For this reason, it’s good to start as soon as possible to make sure you are able to get a character through all the campaigns before the Wayfarer’s event starts.

I’m sorry, what are you referring to here?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m sorry, what are you referring to here?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Wayfarer%27s_Reverie

But more specifically this from that event:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Reverie_Gift

It’s fairly grindy to get compared to the others (when acquiring the normal way outside of the event) and worth doing as there is a “task” for having at least one of them. In this case, it’s essentially a free point towards your HoM.

I’ll also add that you’re better off farming common mats (e.g. Feathers, granite) and sell them for gold than to farm hero armor or items for weapons. The drop rates for hero armor are so horrible that you can farm the gold quicker than it would take you to get all 5 pieces.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Raven.3957

Okay, another moderator mentioned “Were close, seriously” In an older post, and here it sounds like your still researching how to fix it?

Confused, is the fix found and being implemented, or are you guys still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Ultimately, i’m more interested in an ETA.. 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.. “Close” means nothing relatively speaking.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Oh sure, like you’re busy. What, are you working on an expansion or something?!?!?!

…o wait.

But seriously, ty for working on this.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Okay, another moderator mentioned “Were close, seriously” In an older post, and here it sounds like your still researching how to fix it?

Confused, is the fix found and being implemented, or are you guys still trying to figure out how to fix it.

Ultimately, i’m more interested in an ETA.. 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.. “Close” means nothing relatively speaking.

perhaps this can dispell your confusion:
kitten happens. bugs pop up out of nowhere. the company policy is that you cant have an ETA until a fix is implemented. and then the ETA youll get is “itll be in the next patching cycle probably” because even then they have to say “probably” until the fix is actually live. because if they dont do it like that, theyll get blamed for not delivering on promises, and getting a reputation for not delivering is approximately their PR person’s biggest fear.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

‘research every aspect of the fix’ is not ‘researching how to fix it’…

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

This close.

No, this close.

Attachments:

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

To call it “ill gained” implies they did something wrong.

They did do something wrong, they played the game the way it was created. Just like all the people banned for making chili peppers and forging rare cultural weapons back in the day.

Seriously though, don’t expect this company to take any blame on any issue or bug that arises in this game; it is obviously not their fault. I mean, they just made the game.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

They did do something wrong, they played the game the way it was created. Just like all the people banned for making chili peppers and forging rare cultural weapons back in the day.

Seriously though, don’t expect this company to take any blame on any issue or bug that arises in this game; it is obviously not their fault. I mean, they just made the game.

I guess “ill gained” means improperly acquired, which is true for this, even if some people were definitely innocently caught by the bug (i bet they don’t mind if this gets fixed). I’m also willing to bet that there were at least as many people who were excited to get these things when they found out it could work like that.

Like with those who forged cultural weapons when it was a well-known bug. Had they not banned them, people would have been asking rightfully, why the heck do they get away with that?

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

if its going to take this long (we are already months in), why not just reenable the HoM rewards, fix the bug at your leisure and when implemented take away all HoM titles/rewards from everyone and force everyone to revisit the HoM to get them back.

That way, folks that didnt do the work in GW1 wouldnt be able to get these rewards back, and in the meantime folks who did earn the rewards can use the items now and when fixed with the minor inconvience of revisitng EotN.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

if its going to take this long (we are already months in), why not just reenable the HoM rewards, fix the bug at your leisure and when implemented take away all HoM titles/rewards from everyone and force everyone to revisit the HoM to get them back.

That way, folks that didnt do the work in GW1 wouldnt be able to get these rewards back, and in the meantime folks who did earn the rewards can use the items now and when fixed with the minor inconvience of revisitng EotN.

I’ve seen this argument elsewhere and i agree with it. If they are already designing a tool to mass remove things from accounts, just also make it able to remove pets, mini’s, and skins from the wardrobe and turn HOM back on now for the people that need it. (I’m not one of those people btw)

Posted by: MasterD.4790

MasterD.4790

I’ve seen this argument elsewhere and i agree with it. If they are already designing a tool to mass remove things from accounts, just also make it able to remove pets, mini’s, and skins from the wardrobe and turn HOM back on now for the people that need it. (I’m not one of those people btw)

I can only imagine all the scenario’s that already have to be accounted for. The longer they wait the worse it gets too.

Example….not only do you just take the titles away, but you have to take the achievement points away too….what happens if the person has already gained achievement chests during that period? Do you try to take all those away as well and everyone will be at different points in AP’s so the amount of code to properly remove the items that were obtained and the titles and recalculating it would be a nightmare for a coder. Then the longer it takes to implement and the more AP people get the harder it gets to properly roll back. I’m sure they don’t want to make mistakes so they are taking their time, but at least they are trying

Gamadorn the epitome of a hotjoin hero

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to guess they are going to leave the achievement points and rewards from the chests alone. How can they remove the rewards? Some are undoubtably used up already. If, for example, the WvW blueprints are sold or the mystic forge stones were used to make a salvage kit, then they are gone. They would at best be removing some of the chest rewards, but not all. If they left the rewards in but remove the AP then people will get the same chest twice which will give them those rewards again. If the skins weren’t removed then they will have the chance to select another skin, essentially ahead of schedule a second time. If they are wearing that skin they selected, then will the game remove it off of their armor/weapon? If it was a chest with only one reward, such as a hellfire helm, and it’s removed but the AP isn’t then through no fault of their own they will never get that helm.

It’s not an easy thing to fix at all.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

If this isn’t on the backburner, I wonder what else is. I hope Radiant Retaliation isn’t too lonely back there.

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

I dont want to sound like an kitten but this wont get fixed for another year or so it has already been 5 months.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I dont want to sound like an kitten but this wont get fixed for another year or so it has already been 5 months.

2 months. Instant GWAMM

ANet may give it to you.

lordkrall.7241

We already know that they are close to getting it fixed. So for all we know it can be fixed in a potential patch today.

Spreading BS that it will not be fixed for another year or so (and then use false information to “confirm” it) is just silly.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Suniahk.7268

Suniahk.7268

I love when people say “We want exact timeframes” because that’s exactly how ANet -doesn’t- work. It’s been said before, they used something similar to Scrum for their projects, meaning that they have no hard-listed ETA’s (that they would probably have to push back anyway, as that’s how most ETA’s seem to work these days). Would be better to find out what’s been done already to fix the issue, rather than demand something that would be wrong anyway.

That being said, I could totally see them coding another bridge of sorts between GW1 and GW2 to validate what people should have access to, or even going over everything in the original HoM bridge to figure out where the bug came from. Either way, it’s not going to be a quick fix, especially knowing the two major content updates (HoT and the LA patch announced today) are being worked on full-tilt. I’d bet they only have one person on this who also has a bunch of other “non-backburner” small stuff to worry about. Meaning yes, it will get fixed, but no, not timely, because reasons.

You know, or something like that. I could be completely wrong.

Therodin.2970

We already know that they are close to getting it fixed. So for all we know it can be fixed in a potential patch today.

Spreading BS that it will not be fixed for another year or so (and then use false information to “confirm” it) is just silly.

We don’t know it’s close to being fixed. They said it’s closed to being fixed.

lordkrall.7241

Ah, silly me. We should of course assume that they are outright lying.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: JakeG.9620

JakeG.9620

This doesn’t sound like an easy fix. I got the HOM points bug too, but I don’t have any of the skins that came with the points. Secretly I wish I did, but it would have been wrong if I went to EOTN and claimed them. I did get an ap chest of it though.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You’re reading this wrong. Based on this they have the fix, it seems to be functional. They are in the process of ensuring that it actually is functional under all situations, so they don’t make things worse by implementing it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

The better solution, though, is to keep it inaccessible and just figure out how to remove achievements on a case by case basis, rather than having to not only figure out how to remove achievements, but also how to remove skins and minis from the wardrobe, and also how to do it such that it also untransmutes any gear that had been transmuted with the skins that were removed.

If this sounds like it could ever be simpler than not doing all that extra work, you really have no concept at all about how programming works.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Therodin.2970

The better solution, though, is to keep it inaccessible and just figure out how to remove achievements on a case by case basis, rather than having to not only figure out how to remove achievements, but also how to remove skins and minis from the wardrobe, and also how to do it such that it also untransmutes any gear that had been transmuted with the skins that were removed.

If this sounds like it could ever be simpler than not doing all that extra work, you really have no concept at all about how programming works.

But having a tool to remove all that seems like a good thing to have right? The reason this fix is taking so long is because they did not have a tool to remove some things. Why not just give the rightfull HOM people the rewards along with whatever people that got the bug the rewards and also make the tool able to remove those? So in the future if they needed to remove those they would already have a tool for it?

Therodin.2970

Ah, silly me. We should of course assume that they are outright lying.

That’s a weird assumption to make, I never said they were lying. I just said that i dont assume they are telling the truth. What incentive do they have to tell the truth? They can say soon and if it takes a year they could just keep saying soon. It will be out when its out and unless they gave us a date i wouldnt assume anything. But i don’t need a date, i dont even have any hom points.

Just a flesh wound.3589

But having a tool to remove all that seems like a good thing to have right? The reason this fix is taking so long is because they did not have a tool to remove some things. Why not just give the rightfull HOM people the rewards along with whatever people that got the bug the rewards and also make the tool able to remove those? So in the future if they needed to remove those they would already have a tool for it?

From what they said, they are short the manpower to fix this fast and the less they have to do, the faster they can fix it. The more work they have to do, the longer it will take.

source

I’ll go ahead and comment on this thread, as it seems to be the most recent of the HOM ones.

I’ll try to explain this without getting too technical, and some parts are probably going to have to be left out.

The bug that caused players to unlock achievements/skins/titles and achievement points was caused when the GW1 server that stores the HOM status talks to the GW2 server that controls new character creation. Basically it was sending bad data to the GW2 server, and unlocking achievements that should not have been unlocked.

This means that there were multiple problem points that need to be cleaned up. The first thing to be cleaned up was the bug that caused this to happen, and that was fixed within a few hours. However, the removal of the rewards is an entirely different problem.

We don’t have the tools to easily mass remove achievements/titles, which means it’s something that has to be developed. Unfortunately, this came at a time where our resources are tapped to the max, so it’s taking longer than we would like to fix this.

Thankfully (lol), when the HOM rewards bug was happening, the actual HOM was not accessible, and those players were not able to claim any other HOM entitlements…so the damage was somewhat limited.

We are working on this, I assure you, and we will remove the rewards from players that should not have received them. I do not have a timeframe, as modifying accounts at this type of level is not something we would ever take lightly, and as long as we keep a majority of the entitlements locked there is less for us to clean up.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Well another update comes and still no fix :/

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Excuse me, but can you please read what you just wrote back aloud to yourself.

Then, if you still don’t think you make no kittening sense other than trolling this topic, I suggest you learn what saying something means.

This thread has suddenly veered off with one trollish statement after another. The case is that an Anet dev has said they’re seriously close to fixing it, then they are probably testing it and making sure it won’t bug out so that the HoM can be reenabled.

My guess is the big specialisation patch might as well contain this one, or if not, it will come later this summer.

You’ll have your HoM rewards again soon, it’s not as if they’ve have removed them with no intent to restore them. All their feedback in this thread state otherwise.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

I guess “ill gained” means improperly acquired, which is true for this, even if some people were definitely innocently caught by the bug (i bet they don’t mind if this gets fixed). I’m also willing to bet that there were at least as many people who were excited to get these things when they found out it could work like that.

Like with those who forged cultural weapons when it was a well-known bug. Had they not banned them, people would have been asking rightfully, why the heck do they get away with that?

Instead of blaming and shaming your player base, test the stupid game and get rid of the bugs before you release a half a**ed product. The players who used the vendors within the confines of the system are not to blame but the one who set the parameters. It was Anet’s mistake.

They could have admitted they messed up and then issued a “roll back” on the server. Instead they chose to shame their player base and ban the ones who “abused” it the most. It is like a child’s reaction to being embarrassed. Instead of facing the failure or cause of embarrassment they throw a fit and lash out.

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Who was banned because of the HoM snafu? For pete’s sake, some of the statements in this thread are mind-boggling!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Instead of blaming and shaming your player base, test the stupid game and get rid of the bugs before you release a half a**ed product. The players who used the vendors within the confines of the system are not to blame but the one who set the parameters. It was Anet’s mistake.

They could have admitted they messed up and then issued a “roll back” on the server. Instead they chose to shame their player base and ban the ones who “abused” it the most. It is like a child’s reaction to being embarrassed. Instead of facing the failure or cause of embarrassment they throw a fit and lash out.

(Vanthian is referring to an exploit involving cultural weapons not long after launch, not the HoM)

It wasn’t people who bought a few cultural weapons, but those who took deliberate advantage of a missprice, bought hundreds or thousands of weapons and used them to mystic forge large numbers of rare and exotic weapons to make a lot of gold and make precursors. Since people were reporting it at the time, it was obvious the prices were wrong and that taking advantage of this was an exploit.

“This morning there was a widely-publicized, newly-introduced exploit in which specific cultural weapons were selling for one-thousandth of their normal price. We fixed it with an emergency build this morning. We want to thank the vast majority of players who became aware of the issue, responsibly reported it, and did not exploit it. However, a smaller group of players did significantly exploit it, each purchasing hundreds or thousands of these weapons. We permanently banned 3,000 accounts of players who substantially exploited it, and applied 72-hours bans to another 1,000 accounts of players who mildly exploited it.”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Blame is a funny word. It’s quite different from responsibility. But there are also times when things do happen that are beyond any individual’s control. Now those that want to blame and see things in terms of blame will look to blame.

But anyone’s who’s actually worked on a project with 300 other people, a project that has deadlines, they’ll find that it’s virtually impossible to find every bug. Bugs will get through. It’s NORMAL for bugs to get through. Most MMOs have pages of bugs on their bug list and Guild Wars 2 is no exception.

The more complex the program, the more people working on it, the more it’s going to have bugs. I have never seen an exception to this. If you want to talk about blame, go right ahead.

But it doesn’t mean that blaming people is fair, in any case.

In the case of people getting banned for exploiting bugs, that’s slightly different. People who did something a couple of times didn’t get banned. People who did it hundreds of times did.

If they can’t figure out that, say, buying something for less than everything else in the same list (that all have identical numbers) that gives them insane profit isn’t a bug, they’re probably not smart enough to play MMOs in the first place.

People who did it hundreds of times, spent an entire day just buying more of them, should be banned. And even then those that accepted a roll back, got their accounts back anyway.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The other exploit Vanthian is referring to is the Chili Popper exploit where people bought cheap karma cooking mats, crafted chili poppers and sold these back to the NPC, making large amounts of gold within minutes, reportedly about 1-2 gold a minute back when most people only had a few gold.

It should have been obvious to them that making so much gold in such a short time when nothing else made gold like that just by buying a couple of cheap karma items then reselling the finished item back to the NPC for 25 silver a stack was too good to be true and was taking advantage of the situation.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

/bounces through to check for updates and cheer people on.

By the way THANK YOU Chris Cleary and Gaile Gray for keeping us updated. Even saying “we’re close, seriously” is encouraging. I finally unlocked the Dwayna gloves and I’ve been on the edge of my seat waiting to snag ’em. Getting updates has been really nice.

Thank you!

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Raven.3957

On an unrelated note, seeing as people seem to be chatting more about exploits and bans and such. A solution that should make everyone happy is some what complicatedly simple. If anet did develop this into an easy to use tool for their devs, it could be used to undo these exploiting players, and save people who had been hacked/lost items and whatnot due to bugs. More or less if a character or account has a timeline thats recorded as its played, for each item picked up, achievement earned, and etc. Then if there is ever an issue, Anet can “roll back” that one particular account to a spot previously on its timeline. Sort of like a reverse laminar flow, only with characters.

If people “exploit” because there is a bug that anet missed upon creation, those people now loose whatever ill gained items they created, and their time put into it, without loosing their account. Warnings can be issued, and if they constantly break these rules then temp/perma bans can be handed out.

Ultimately, you have to remember how this community works. Most people just look for a meta. If a current “meta” on making gold happens to be an exploit, people might be too stupid to realize just that, and get banned thinking they are just playing the game super efficiently. I’m not saying they are right for exploiting, but I am saying Anet is to blame at least 50% for having the bug in their game; and the exploiter the other 50% for abusing it.

Just sayin’