Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: crimsoncruloc.4038

crimsoncruloc.4038

It’s been worth it up to now. Getting bored with it. Have an 80 character and a 64 character. Tried a little PvP after mainly just doing PvE…and I’m just not getting into it much.

PvE has turned into farming materials and karma. But what’s the point, those Legendary pieces of equipment are so expensive I’ll never be able to attain them. Or even the Cultural armor and weapon karma merchants….Tier 3 is over 42K for one item…so you’re talking about getting 6 pieces of armor, and at least 2 or 3 weapons, and your underwater weapons as well. I’d have to quit my job and just farm karma and materials for gold and silver.

Overall though, the game is visually magnificent. Huge amount of depth. But I’m starting to fade away.

Posted by: Sister Sola.8109

Sister Sola.8109

Yes, well worth the money I’ve spent (DD edition, plus a few bucks in the Gem store). I have a recent lvl 80 and a few lvl 25-30s, all exploring different parts of the world and doing different things.

I feel that ANet has a provided a great game. Once all the tweaks have been made and bugs have been squashed, they’ll have an awesome foundation for all the additional content they have planned.

Posted by: inspectorpj.4087

inspectorpj.4087

Most definitely! Even though I barely started playing the game, I’m already amazed on how evolved it is compared to other mmo’s in the market.
Clean and fresh ideas, that make GW2 feel like a completely different game, for the better.

Keep up the good work Dev People!

A million to one shot!

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

Yes ! I am so glad I bought this game and that my hard earned money went to a talented and passionate team.

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

I spent 80$ on the premium version of the game, bought their game guide (although I found it on the web hours later, for free, go figure, but i felt I WANTED to buy it because Im rich like that), bought about 100$ worth of gems, and planning on getting other weapon skins if they offer it. I got a imac 27inch with 16gb of memory, a g19 keyboard, and even took a few days of from work just to play.

Yes, this game to me is the best thing I played in years.

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

Yep! I’m enjoying myself in this game quite a bit,

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I spent a little more because I went for the DDE (and am in € zone) but it’s a resounding YES!
No matter from which angle I look at it (eg. comparing both the quality and level of entertainment to other games or to other forms of entertainment like going to the movies), I feel I already got the purchase price returned in entertainment value during the BWE’s only even though that doesn’t really count.
I’m still having a blast so the returned entertainment value is still increasing every day.

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

Not a perfect game. Has a lot of bugs/balancing issues still, but even in it’s current state the best MMO value and the only one worth playing IMO.

Posted by: motmot.5402

motmot.5402

Yes! I played wow, tor, and many f2p mmo’s for the last four years; I was hoping that one of those games would satisfy my need for a mmo tailored for the player. They all were boring and grindy, they were meant for you to give them most of your money, not for me to enjoy them. Guildwars 2 has taken the concept of buy to play, and has made a true win win harmony of having no subscription fee. This is the new standard of all mmo’s

Posted by: ccrazool.2905

ccrazool.2905

Yes, and my highest level character is 53.

So much to do. Soooooo much to do.

Posted by: SparkStormrider.4512

SparkStormrider.4512

Very much so. I have so enjoyed this game, and continuing to enjoy this game. There have been other games that I have bought that cost more (limited editions and such) that were nowhere near as good as this game. Though I do have 1 lvl 80, and one alt that I’m leveling now, I am truly have a blast not racing through content to get to end game. This is the first MMO where I didn’t care what level I was because it didn’t matter as much. There are a few things the game needs attention in, and Anet is working that, and what game doesn’t have faults?

Over all I’m extremely satisfied. This isn’t some fanboi response, this just the honest truth.

In war the worst thing you could do is die for your country, make the other jerk die for his!

Posted by: Licht.5168

Licht.5168

Got almost 300 hours in-game. Have one character at L80, and working on another two. Still need to get map completion to 100%, and then the long grind for Twilight, Sunrise, and, in the long run, Eternity begins for Xarinn. xD

Xarinn – Warrior L80 – 400AS/400WS
Sanctum of Rall
“Quaggan’s a piwate! Yarr!” – “Pirate”

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

As much as I want to say yes, I can’t really, the game gives me very bad motion sickness and I feel a lot of the skills are sloppy and not thought out well at all.

Posted by: delmarqo.5038

delmarqo.5038

Totally yes. I’d gladly pay a monthly fee too if they went that way instead of Gems/microtransactions (which they won’t, just sayin’ ).

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

Is it worth slightly less than 30 cents (and getting cheaper) an hour I’ve paid? Yes.

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

No, and the reason I say that is not to be controversial, I genuinely don’t believe it’s worth the money. I have played for 272 hours. Which is good compared to single-player games or standalone retail RPG’s. But for an MMORPG I started out thinking I would play this game for years to come, only to be disappointed I expected a whole lot more.

“Worth the money you spent on it” is a different question from “met your expectations”. With the amount of pre-release hype and the expectations of some of the GW1 fans, I imagine there are lots of folks that ended up at least a little disappointed.

If ~300 hours of play for a flat ~60 dollars is a good value for one type of game, why would it not be a good value for a different type of game?

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Strifey.7215

Strifey.7215

Yes.

I am not saying I am completely happy with this game or there aren’t alot of issues that need to be addressed, but for a $60 no sub game I can agree that it has been worth the money.

But this is similar for many online games, there is a certain level that many people expect compared to single player counterparts, which is why online games have such a vocal community. Because many people fully intend on playing online games for a huge amount of hours. I probably have over 1000 hours in each Diablo 2, Counterstrike, and Team Fortress 2, all 3 of which were very cheap relative to the enjoyment I received. I still think the product should continue to evolve and improve in quality even if time played shows it was technically already “worth it”.

Guard/War/Mesmer and Dungeon Guides:
https://www.youtube.com/user/strife025

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

More then that. I QQ quita lot but I love the game . I mean srsly if you want a mmoRPG ther is no way you can dislike this game!

Blub.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

Without a doubt, yes.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Worth 60? Easily.

Something I’ll play for a long time?

Hard to say at this point. I would’ve said yes a few weeks back but there is so much botting, so little action by ANet, and it seems like players who shortcut the game, cheese the econ, and otherwise don’t play in the spirit of the game are getting ahead while ANet glacially fixes things and doesn’t punish such people, that it’s becoming a game that’s not fun to play if you actually PLAY the game the right way.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

Most definately YES. And for me it’s $80 since I bought two bank upgrades because what we start with is pathetic (yes, ANet, it worked, you forced me to spend more money).

Posted by: Derpinator.2894

Derpinator.2894

As much as I complain, 100% yes, and then some. 1,000% even. MMOs in general, and this one in particular are the best digital entertainment value in existence.

I still want changes/improvements to make it playable and rewarding post-80, but definitely worth what I spent and more.

Posted by: Sarnax.8357

Sarnax.8357

Anytime Ive played more than a 100 hours in a video game I always consider it worth my money.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I actually paid $150 + $40 in gems and yes, I’d say it was definitely worth it for the hours I spent playing it, which is something like 350. If I can get at least a 1:1 ratio of hours played vs. dollars spent, I consider it a good deal.

Posted by: Masaki.2153

Masaki.2153

Absolutely! I cancelled a couple of pre orders because frankly, as much as I love this game, I wont have time to play the others. In essence, GW2 SAVED me money.

Posted by: Zetoe.1327

Zetoe.1327

I don’t find this game that entertaining, the community building is a joke, there is no teamwork, the classes are uninspired. Builds are all way too shallow, everything is a zerg. The quests are a joke. Sometimes literally.

Yet, ask me if it was worth my 60 dollars? Absolutely.

Would I buy it again? Definitely.

I only noticed all the glaring flaws this game had after over 100 hours of play, that for 60 dollars is well worth it.

Posted by: CoffeeBean.8690

CoffeeBean.8690

Bought two copies for my spouse & I, and a third copy for a good friend.

I don’t regret the purchases at all.

Posted by: Terrant.2903

Terrant.2903

Mostly. I have conerns about how certain things are implemented, and my girlfriend is this close to uninstalling due to the same.

1) DR is making playing for more than 30 minutes pointless.
2) Dungeons are horriblly overtuned in some cases. (Anet has said they might fix? we shall see)
3) Dungeons do not provide rewards commesurate with their difficulty. (Anet has said they might fix? we shall see)
4) Broken Skill Challenges and DEs still abound. (Many have been fixed, but still seeing a lot of problems)
5) Not a lot of incentive to earn karma currently. Orr armor isn’t good enough, Legendaries are but are so unreachable to the average player that there’s no reason for them to earn karma.
6) I understand why dungeon tokens were moved to the end of the dungeon, but this punihses the player who is unable to complete but put an hour or more time into a dungeon. My gf played Arah explorable for 4 hours on one run yesterday (I do not know the path; I make no judgements on her or other player’s skill). She got no tokens, because the leader ragequit before the last boss and the instance reset.

Posted by: lagrangeify.5641

lagrangeify.5641

It’s the best £49 I’ve spent on a game in a very long time. And given how some of it’s fans were being on the various news sites and on forums for games like Tera and Rift, I was almost set on wanting it to massively fail.

But fact is, it’s a cracking little game, absolute dynamite bang for my buck. For all the bugs and faults (and there are plenty) the quality is abundantly evident everywhere you care to look, there’s cleverness and inventiveness and deep thought and high design in all sorts of places.

Put it this way, I’m not a camp follower, I wasn’t much of a fan of GW1 or ArenaNet – admired their chops for doing something different but it just wasn’t up to what Blizzard were doing at the time imo, those guys were still in their prime and kicking kitten with a game that was the Beatles and The Stones.

GW2 isn’t quite as audaciously game changing as it’s creators think it is, or that it’s camp followers thought it might be. But it is game changing in ways that are less loud, but more enduring. No MMO can hope to release in the next 10 years and not emulate at least some significant chunks of what it does, and while a lot of what it does has been attempted before, never with the skill or conviction we find here.

Some people who currently feel disenchanted will definitely be back. This game, unlike virtually all others in it’s field, has the chops and the allure.

And all that good stuff for $60? That’ll do nicely.

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

Yes, well worth the 60 bucks. It has given me as many hours as any other single player game I’ve played, and that’s the way I look at GW2, a single player game where occasionally I could do group activities and have other people online.

But at level 80 I’m finding really nothing to do at all. It’s too bad, I love love alts but I really don’t have the desire to go through the same exact content all over again, and that includes a majority of the storyline.

Still, it’s not a complaint. For a single player game it is more than worth its price, and it has the option to do MMO type activities and I can login whenever I want with no sub fees. My only wish is that t here was more content so I could level up alts without having to do the same content.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yes it is worth it

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

I’d say yes. I have definitely got my $60 out of it.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Easily worth the box price, yes. Even if I stopped playing tomorrow it would be. As it is, I can see myself playing for a good few months more. (I’ve never played any MMO longer than a few months, except my first.)

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Yes, although I’ve paid way more than $60 and (at this point) the game would have been cheaper with a standard subscription fee.

I’m not suggesting I prefer that, I’m just explaining that with that kind of money I have an expectation for things (like dynamic events, which are the meat of the PvE game) to be working, and the problems don’t just get a free pass with me because GW2 is advertised as being free to play.

Love the game. Want the problems fixed faster, though, before they make me not love the game.

I bought the basic edition for myself and another for my wife. Beyond that I haven’t spent a dime on the game and we’re both enjoying it. We play the same game you do – you didn’t have to spend more than the basic game costs, you chose to spend the money. You don’t have that choice with a sub-based game.

For example I spent the same amount to buy SWTOR last December and another $60 on a 3 month sub. When my sub ran out I couldn’t play any more, $120 for a piece of software that I cannot access without paying more money. Now I guess it’s free to play but you are restricted from doing things that subbed players can do.

With this game, until the day they shut the servers off I will be able to log in and play anytime I want, and I only spent $60 on it. Any purchases beyond that are optional, and does not entitle you to anything beyond the (virtual) items you are buying.

Please re-read your statement, and then re-read my statement, and then explain how your comment applies to my comment in any way, shape, or form.

Posted by: Sephelutis.3480

Sephelutis.3480

worth the money not expectation

Posted by: Bguk.1309

Bguk.1309

Simply put, yes.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Easily worth the box price, yes. Even if I stopped playing tomorrow it would be. As it is, I can see myself playing for a good few months more. (I’ve never played any MMO longer than a few months, except my first.)

The nice thing is, in not much more than that we should see some kind of expansion, if they keep anything close to the schedule they set for the first game. Which means just as you’re getting ready to leave, you’ll have all knew content to dive into. I know that was how the first game got it’s hook into me and didn’t let go for several years. And what with this game having made most of the changes I always thought would make GW1 better, I expect they’ll do just as well.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Spacerogue.9127

Spacerogue.9127

about 400 hours in, have not done dungeons, not interested in a real legendary, halfway full zone completion and 1 exotic piece of gear. Having a blast.

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Despite I thought elementalist (my main) would be a mage and it ended up being a pony, I still think it’s well worth the money.

Posted by: Daniel.2743

Daniel.2743

No, and the reason I say that is not to be controversial, I genuinely don’t believe it’s worth the money. I have played for 272 hours. Which is good compared to single-player games or standalone retail RPG’s. But for an MMORPG I started out thinking I would play this game for years to come, only to be disappointed I expected a whole lot more.

“Worth the money you spent on it” is a different question from “met your expectations”. With the amount of pre-release hype and the expectations of some of the GW1 fans, I imagine there are lots of folks that ended up at least a little disappointed.

If ~300 hours of play for a flat ~60 dollars is a good value for one type of game, why would it not be a good value for a different type of game?

Well this isn’t a single-player game with co-operative, at least that’s not what was advertised, it’s an MMORPG. If the game only has a certain amount of longevity for players, then I don’t think it’s worth it.

I probably spent 400 days played time on WOW since the start of the game, probably spent a load of money on that game alone. But I wasn’t buying other games during that time, so essentially I was saving money. Something that captivates someone for so many years is worth the money spent.

Something that captivates a certain group of people for less than a month isn’t worth the money.

So I guess it’s a case of expectations weigh out the value of the game, but people don’t forget, if a game is a massive disappointment for some they will never trust the creators of that game again.

Posted by: robot.9134

robot.9134

worth the money not expectation

Thats one of the reasons why I got my refund.

I’ve gotten more enjoyment for my time from borderlands 2. Ill stick with that for now.

GW2 has nothing long term at 80 and are far to slow with support and updates.

(edited by robot.9134)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Yes.

So far I’ve only played it for about 80 hours and if that was the end of it I’d be dissapointed.* But my main character is only level 21 and I have 3 others so far so I have A LOT left to do, even if I gave up at level 80.

*For the record I fully agree that 80 hours of entertainment for $60 (or the £65 I actually paid for the digital deluxe edition) is excellent value for money and there’s not many things that give you that. But having been a gamer most of my life and played mainly very long games, or ones I could and would replay many times over I have to admit I’ve come to expect it even if I know it’s exceptional. At a rough estimate I’d say 200-300 hours is about average for me. Over several months or years obviously.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I already stopped playing the game about 2-3 weeks in because it simply got extremely repetitive and boring for me, BUT I still think it was worth it because it is free monthly and I will get the same content as everyone and I am sure I will get the itch to start playing again. I know I got bored fast but it was at launch and as time passes I am sure things will get fixed and change etc. So yeah even though I don’t play anymore for now, I still think it was worth it.

Posted by: Lee One.8640

Lee One.8640

A big fat YES. Very satisfied by my purchase. Great job ANet!

Wish I didn’t waste it on D3.

Posted by: Jalliah.7862

Jalliah.7862

I just got it a week and half ago. I have 5 characters on the go with the highest at 32. Not sure my play hours but it is a lot. I bought gems for a couple of extra bank slots as well. Even with the extra on top of that 60 dollars if I was to quit tomorrow I’d say I had my moneys worth relative to other 60 games that I can pick up and put down when I want too.

I can’t see myself quitting. Having fun so the value will just grow. Since this game will expand at some point and is ongoing for who knows how long I can say that it is well worth the money. Glad I bought it.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“…with that kind of money I have an expectation for things (like dynamic events, which are the meat of the PvE game) to be working…”

Buying a few gems doesn’t give you any more priveleges than me. You got what you paid for, and expecting or demanding more is not going to go well.

Posted by: Twaddlefish.6537

Twaddlefish.6537

Hells yes.

I can appreciate people who’ve sunk 300 hours into the game and getting bored with it. Christ, I love Half Life 2 but I’d go crazy playing it for 300 hours. This game has an absolute ton of content and it’ll keep me going for months.

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

It takes me 2.5 hours of work to make the cost of this game, and I’ve played for more than 200 hours, so the answer is yes – it entertained me enough to offset the time it takes to afford the game by more than 80 times.

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

260 hrs of fun so even if I stopped playing today, which I certainly won’t it has easily paid for itself, money well spent I think

Posted by: SheckyS.6241

SheckyS.6241

Without a doubt.
Just as good, if not better, than any other MMO out there and no monthly fee, just a one-time purchase. I have gotten far more than my money’s worth. And I bought the deluxe edition and also $50 worth of gems.