Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Irishbrewed.6537

Irishbrewed.6537

Yes sir…..and my gem store purchases

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

50 bucks woulda been fair tbh

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

405 hours on one character and still have lots of things I want to do.

Going to have to say yes it was worth $60

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Yes, definitely! I’ve gotten about 250 hours from it. Sadly, it pretty much ends there. Game is more of a console game like COD with just repeating the same multiplayer pvp over and over again till you put down the game completely.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Nope.

It’s worth a lot more than $60 for me, GW2 is all I’ve been dreaming to have in a MMO.
I would have never thought it would be GW2 to contain all these things until I played it (I read articles but you know…).

Which is a good thing because GW1 was my favourite online game back in the days.

Posted by: Stratzvyda.3921

Stratzvyda.3921

It was worth the money I paid, but it’s not worth my time to continue unless there are some serious changes. That was probably the intent of those updates actually, drive people away to lower costs.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

If ~300 hours of play for a flat ~60 dollars is a good value for one type of game, why would it not be a good value for a different type of game?

Well this isn’t a single-player game with co-operative, at least that’s not what was advertised, it’s an MMORPG. If the game only has a certain amount of longevity for players, then I don’t think it’s worth it.

MMO just means massively multiplayer, which GW2 is (and GW1 wasn’t). It doesn’t have anything to do with longevity except that many folks expect MMO to mean longevity because MMOs are almost universally subscription games (or started out as subscription games).

When you play a subscription game, you’re basically leasing it. You can’t play unless you pay the fee, but in exchange for the fee you’re supposed to get more content than if you buy a flat fee game like GW2. So, each game may be equally worth the money you spent, even though you’re paying more for the subscription game, because you’ll end up (in theory) playing the subscription game longer.

I still don’t see how the value proposition changes based on whether the game is single player, co-op, or massively multiplayer. Either you got $X worth of enjoyment out of the game or you didn’t.

I played only 20 hours of SpaceChem before it got waaay too hard, but on the other hand, I was completely absorbed in it when I was playing and I only payed a few dollars for it, so I feel it was a good purchase. I have 100 or so hours in D3 and I’ll probably never go back to it. Even though I’m sorely disappointed that it won’t have the longevity D2 had for me, I still don’t regret buying it. I had many moments of “OMG! That’s so awesome!” in my first play through, and I’d pay $60 for any game that I thought would give me that experience again.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Nice to see a lot of people still enjoying themselves.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Shadow.3289

Shadow.3289

This game offers excellent gameplay & content. Well else can I say…

“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom”
StormBluff Isle

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

I never paid $60, i paid £49.99 which is what? about $80? that was the cheapest retail option in the UK, at least where i live in the south west, that said, yes the price was worth every penny, i’ve played a total of 153 hours and my main character is only at level 53, i also have a level 15 Guardian,12 Ranger, and countless deleted characters. I’ve still got so much to do.

Enjoying every minute of it so far.

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

My friend bought it for me because I was reluctant to after how boring I found it in the beta, so I didn’t pay a thing. Even so, I almost still wouldn’t consider this game worth it, too much of a boring grind, too repetitive, and too little variation in gameplay. In fact, I was so bored I decided to try out the WoW MoP beta, despite having not wanted to play that game since the start of Cata.

The MoP beta was so incredibly dull it utterly quashed any desire to ever buy it. So, GW2’s dullness saved me the sixty bucks for MoP- making GW2 for free worth every penny.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Despite the bots,bugs,hackers,DR, TP down for 2.5 weeks – yes my guild is great and when I can do the things I like to I am happy. Sad panda when things are bugged. – looking at skill points and orr.

IF Anet can gain my trust again I might purchase gems but that is a way off yet.
The amount of time I have put in vs 60 is a fantastic deal in my opinion.

Posted by: Goretex.6201

Goretex.6201

Yes, I’m loving every minute of it. GW has got me converted. I’m enjoying this game so much!!

Posted by: RaoZaoku.5289

RaoZaoku.5289

With the prices of console games being the same as GW2, it’s definitely been worth it. And I’m not even to 80 yet.

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

Lets see i stopped playing wow, aion, rift, tera, and swtor for this game and the only thing i dont like about it is that they didnt have the dervish profession in the game and might not ever have it back in it, but im fine with that.

Norn “cows” go moot.

Posted by: bluebacker.8679

bluebacker.8679

Easily yes. Nothing’s perfect but GW2 is very, very good and I have confidence in Anet to keep fixing, improving, and adding to the game.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Yes.

Also I have spent more then $60.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Yep. And as long as my disconnect issues don’t come back, it will have been worth the $40 I also spent on character slots and bank space.

I looked at that $40 as I would have a sub, so I will be very annoyed if I don’t get around three months of fun out of GW2. The way things are going, I’ll probably get a lot more than that, though, so I’m happy.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Lalan.3051

Lalan.3051

Many times over.

Posted by: Ghoest.3945

Ghoest.3945

I had a lot of fun the first month so yes.

But between the DR in PVE and the queues in WvW I may burn out sooner rather than later.

Posted by: michaeljhuman.3940

michaeljhuman.3940

Divide $60 by hours spent playing. Assuming you mostly enjoyed those hours, you can compare the game to other entertainments per dollar.

It’s MUCH cheaper than my golfing outing at the Broadmoor this year. And comparing it to an $8 movie, makes the movie look like a rip-off.

I think people fail to realize how cheap a game can be per hour played compared to most amusements.

Posted by: Amadeuz.4617

Amadeuz.4617

I wait for ANet fixing the issues, improving and adding more the endgame contents on the future patches. However, the good thing is I can get the update contents for free (According from Colin’s statement.), also there are still a lot of stuff to do in the current status.

Then 60$ (plus the gems purchased) for this game is absolutely WORTH it.

Posted by: elocke.7132

elocke.7132

Yes. But it seriously makes me wonder how the game would have done with a subscription fee and tons of content coming our way. Granted they can still prove me wrong, but by this time with Rift, we already had a massive content patch coming past the first month and promises of more every month to 2 months after that. So far all I hear from Arena Net is silence and the occasional but needed bug fix patch.

Posted by: Shadowgloom.1279

Shadowgloom.1279

A big huge kitten kitten kitten YES! I have played since the head start and have not stopped playing. I truly enjoy the game.

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

Considering I bought the digital deluxe (or WE edition) and paid $20 for gems to buy bank space, and considering the state of DR and Orr zones and dungeons in general, I would say, for an MMO, that no, I don’t feel I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

I will concede than everything I spent above $60 was my own choice (and I regret those choices now), so for a $60 game, yes, it was probably worth it.

But being put out by the same people who put out GW 1, but this time being called an MMO, I don’t see it having the overall quality of GW 1, and I don’t see it having enough features/content to be called an MMO – and by using the term MMO I’m implying longevity.

I would argue that an MMO is a different sort of beast than your normal $60 single player game. I have put more hours here than in any of the Mass Effect games individually, but aside from the very ending of Mass Effect 3, all 3 games did a much better job of delivering what I expected from that genre of game than what GW 2 delivers as an MMO.

(I will state that the ending of ME 3 is the single worst ending to any story I have ever gotten to the end of in any form of storytelling I have ever followed a story in – books, TV, movies, comics, games, fireside storytelling by 5 year olds, etc).

Calling something an MMO implies a certain longevity past hitting max level, and that longevity being fun. I would argue that, failed as it was, TOR was a better MMO at launch than GW 2 is now.

GW 2 has an amazingly fun leveling up process – when there are other people around – leveling up an alt now and many zones are simply devoid of other players and dynamic events – such that you can start a 35-45 zone at 36 and 100% complete it at 42 without seeing any content other than hearts – I’m looking at you Gendarran Fields – and WvW can be awesome at times (and also absolutely terrible if you are either winning 680-10-5 or losing 680-10-5 – I’ve been on both sides in these weekly matchups).

Just like those that say Diablo 3 was worth $60 because people spent so much time in it – but much of that time was spent in waiting to hit 60 and farm items – it’s largely irrelevant because that was not what people were buying the game to enjoy – and then people hit 60 and simply didn’t get useable drops for dozens or hundreds of hours – IE they never got to the “fun part” they bought the game for, regardless of how much time they put in.

GW2 is an MMO, and it’s pretty fast to get to max level, and then you find that Orr is (or at least was the last time I was there) a mass of broken dynamic events and densely packed mobs of sameness, and the items to get at 80 are all very grindy, and the game has a very bugged out Diminishing Returns system that prevents many people from even grinding out those goals.

That’s not good for an MMO.

But I do think that the journey to max level is by far the best I’ve experienced in an MMO – it’s just that the game is missing much stuff to do, and full of kitten blocks to do the stuff there IS to do.

Posted by: Remeliez.7048

Remeliez.7048

It has definitely been worth the money. I’m still playing too and plan to keep playing. :P

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

I would say, most games are worth the $60.

What we should be asking is, has GW2 been worth the $60 entry fee so far as an MMORPG?

as an MMORPG, they aren’t really meant to be played as a one-off event but through the course of time to get the real value relative to the genre, so the question can be a bit misleading. The criteria for judgement is / should be different. for one, this genre isn’t a stagnant one and is in a state of perpetual updates/fixes. to get a real feel of the value of an MMORPG and be fair with our judgement, it requires at least a few months of play.

I won’t judge GW2 yet. Am I having fun? Yes, but most mmorpg are fun for the first month or 2. Can it be fun thereafter is where the value of an MMORPG is at.

Posted by: AlphaMyk.8692

AlphaMyk.8692

Definitely worth the money spent. Not just on the game, but gems, and other merchandise.

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

Just popping in here to give my brief answer:

Yes.

Posted by: Imperial Thor.5487

Imperial Thor.5487

Really wish people who say people who rushed to 80 would disagree >.> Not all true.

Rushed to 80.
Two level 80s.
Both decked out
Done all dungeons Story/Explore
Still working on Exploring slowly.
sPvP has be really interested
WvW once in a blue moon but fun none the less

Spent over 500 hours so far, So I will agree completely worth it.

Posted by: byolith.8160

byolith.8160

I paid 50 $ for it, but yus it’s been worth it. C:

:: Gandara ::
- Rhéidyn :: Thief

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

I spent $150 to get the collector’s edition.

500 hours, 2 80s in full exotics and magic find sets, 5000 kills in WvW, nearly 100 tournaments won, almost done making a legendary weapon. So yes, it was worth it.

Want to keep playing this game for a long time, but it seems like the game doesn’t want me to play it, I had 3 weeks of broken dungeons not giving me anything, and now doing events isn’t giving me anything if I play more than 30 minutes. If they fix all this and stop breaking something different every week I would gladly buy the game again if I had the chance, or buy an expansion.

Posted by: ErkiB.8375

ErkiB.8375

I mean It should be yes for everyone. I mean 60 bucks for a game where you clock in a huge amount of time compared to console games which you play maybe for 8 hours for the campaign and then keep playing for fun, maybe add another 5 then, but 13 at most.

I have clocked 200 + hours in GW2, Of course it was worth the money, I would pay triple that for 200 hours worth of gameplay.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

I think this game is worth more than just the $60 bucks….effort wise, since I think Anet made some obvious errors big time… like, how do you release a game (* SPOILER) with zhaitan bugged out? They’ve got very talented engineers, but the management maybe? or somebody in Anet seriously had been way too ‘casual’ about doing the error-checking for this game.

Don’t care about the bugged SP or NPCs, the maps so big in this game that it’s hard to be perfect. However, when you’re talking a class’ single skill-trait not working, wrong trait descriptions (some are only a sentence with 4 words and they get it wrong), the big end-game boss not functioning properly, and etc… the only reason this game sworth 60 buck is cuz a) maps are rediculously big, b) too many events to even count, c) dungeon runs that takes up to 2 hours almost per run (x8 dungeons)…. the hours that this game gives is why this game is absolutely worth 60 dollar. But whether it’s worth the enjoyment…is another thing, since this value we put on fun will simply b e obscured if we start off thinking about it using the ($) sign.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

60$?

I paid 195$ (156€), and it was worth every cent.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Hell to the yes.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Antrasith.2187

Antrasith.2187

150 hours of gameplay on several characters combined, highest level character is only 57 (didn’t feel like rushing through this game like I usually do) and still having loads of fun.. It’s great!

The Wheel turns as the Wheel Wills

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Not a lot of games are worth the full price nowadays, so I usually only buy them when they’re reduced / on sale. Paid full price for this as soon as pre-purchase opened. I’m on nearly 400 hours at the moment, so yeah definitely worth £50.

Posted by: kabaal.1832

kabaal.1832

Starting to get a little bored but yes it was worth the money. I’ve spent more time playing the game so far than 4 or 5 single player games combined which each cost the same as GW2.

Posted by: Discopumper.7260

Discopumper.7260

hell yes
Was worth every cent. EVERY CENT.

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

I’ve spent that much on worse games, like Stronghold 3…

Then again, it hasn’t really exceeded expectations, I would’ve rated this game at 30 bucks at most. The repetition, the rampant bugs, the ceaseless issues, the hardships of trying to play with friends and the unfinished feel in general.
In comparison Starcraft 2 was way more then worth the price – I enjoyed every second of it’s campaign, as I spent 300 hours doing singleplayer achievements, loving every second of it, the endless multiplayer felt like a bonus afterwards!
The funny part is that I didn’t pay a cent for GW2 – a friend bought it for me, and since I got it for free, I can’t really complain, now can I?

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

eyup, that was well spend money

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

Posted by: Zuralork.7341

Zuralork.7341

Yes, I been playing 200+ hours (Casual player) & By far its been well worth it. I don’t feel forced to go to level 80 in order to have all the content. I can level my alts, enjoy the landscape.. etc.

Stormbuff Isle server.
Guardian, Ranger, Necromancer, & Warrior.

Posted by: shadowblue.8290

shadowblue.8290

For me, GW2 has definately been worth the money

I’m really enjoying playing through the game and as a casual player I feel that I’m getting more than £60’s worth of entertainment from the game.

There may be bugs now but I know that Arenanet listens to their players and that any bugs can and will be fixed and also I know that by the time I have exhausted all the things there is to do in the game that they will have released new content.

I have a feeling that I will still be playing the game in months / years to come as I did with GW1.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

For me, absolutely! A singkitten investment and I have countless hours of enjoyment, both solo & with my friends. No monthly fee?? Thank you.

No, and the reason I say that is not to be controversial, I genuinely don’t believe it’s worth the money. I have played for 272 hours. Which is good compared to single-player games or standalone retail RPG’s. But for an MMORPG I started out thinking I would play this game for years to come, only to be disappointed I expected a whole lot more.

Did you enjoy those 272 hours? Because even if you’re done right now, you got 272hrs of enjoyment from $60. Try finding anywhere to get that but from a quality video game.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Steve.7926

Steve.7926

If you’d asked me a week ago, I’d say YES 100%

Now I’m unsure, as the total and utter infestation of bots is making it very hard to do anything and is ruining my game. if this doesn’t change, then I guess my answer will be no.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

If only I had this kind of return on investment for everything I spend money on!

Posted by: Cyberz.3756

Cyberz.3756

Definitely yes!
but it can still be better.

Posted by: Metal Agent.2764

Metal Agent.2764

/guildwars2appreciationthread

But yeah, best MMO I’ve ever played….so yes, 60 bucks well spent.

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Totally well spent, you complaining about some things they need to change