Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Absolutely. I can’t remember the last time I got so much enjoyment out of a game. Well worth the wait, well worth the money.

:)

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Yes, the message body length must at least be 15.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

No. I got bored very quickly. This game is a hollow shell of it’s predecessor.

The game is streamlined to the point where everyone just runs around going through the motions. It’s casual to the point of being silly. There is very, very little depth to the game.

I guess some people like the illusion of winning, even though nobody is really doing much of anything. DEs are a huge step backwards for mmos both in terms of presentation and player interaction.

It’s surreal to me to see people talk about how different GW2 is. It really isn’t. It ends up offering less than other mmos. But hey the interface is a little different, revolution!

(edited by Gohlar.3671)

Posted by: Plutorian.6192

Plutorian.6192

Absolutely yes!

Before GW2 i kinda gave up on MMORPG’s, but GW2 has me hooked again.
55 Euro’s for this ammount of gameplay is a very good deal and i love every minute of it.

Yes it has bugs, yes it has its problems, but the overall experiance is nothing short of amazing.

Thanks ArenaNet for making this awesome game, love it.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

No. I think I can safely say that I got the better deal out of this, not ArenaNet. $60.00 is way too cheap for this gem of a game.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Alucardrx.8930

Alucardrx.8930

Nope. GW2 could cost even more, it could cost 15 a month as well.

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

If before I spent $120 I knew what I know now. I wouldn’t have spent it.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: BrienBear.6073

BrienBear.6073

Yes, I think it’s been worth my money.

To the people saying things like “Most 60 dollar games only have about 30 hours to them! This one has HUNDREDS!” You do realize that most MMOs that come out are around $60 right? And most MMOs are timesinks, if nothing else, right?

Posted by: Razamis.1062

Razamis.1062

GW2 the game alone, taking out all outside influences and factors.. yes it was worth $60 to pick up, play for a month and then shelf the game just like any old console game.

GW2 as an MMO, and what effects (if any) it could have on the mmo genre? no it was not worth the $60, and from this perspective I wish I had not purchased the game, because the last thing I want to do is send a message to game companies that this kind of thing is ok for an MMO, when it is clearly not. I feel GW2 is a great game but a terrible MMO. When it comes to MMOs, a traditional style MMO with actual end game (continued character progresson, not necessarily raiding) is more rewarding and interesting to most people.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

As of last night, I’d logged 204 hours since launch day.

If that’s not worth $60….I don’t know what is. :-)

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

“Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?”

…definitely^^

Posted by: Raigirin.2574

Raigirin.2574

Yes overall it has been worth it.
I think the only thing I could have wanted , was no broken events, quests, skill points.

Posted by: Violet.7935

Violet.7935

Yep. Been having a lot of fun.

Posted by: vengeance.7529

vengeance.7529

No. Diminshing returns amoung a few other things have completely ruined the game for me.

Vengeancee ~ LVL80 Elementalist
In theTop 70 to reach lvl 80 :)

Posted by: Wolfend.5287

Wolfend.5287

Yep, even worth the additional $100 spent for gem/upgrades etc, and planning to spend more–

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

To the people saying things like “Most 60 dollar games only have about 30 hours to them! This one has HUNDREDS!” You do realize that most MMOs that come out are around $60 right? And most MMOs are timesinks, if nothing else, right?

The difference is, I don’t feel like I’m “sinking” time in the game … I’m enjoying my time in the game. Many MMOs are about repetitious grind and I get sick of those very quickly … I don’t usually put 150 hours into an MMO in the first month and change … I might put that much time into one eventually … if I stick with it long enough, (which I usually won’t) but not so quickly.

I probably put 60 quick hours into SWTOR before I realized it was the same ole same ole and got sick of it, and I was lookin’ forward to that game just as much – if not more.

GW2 has been everything I wanted in an MMO (bugs aside) and finally got.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

Um… is it sad that i spent $220+ on this game so far?
$80 for the game and the rest for gems

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yes, I think it’s been worth my money.

I spent $60 (or whatever the standard edition price was at launch) for SWTOR, and a month later spent $45 for a 3-month sub. Stopped playing after 2 months, went back a couple months later and got another $45 sub because some of the game bugs and quality issues were fixed. Still got bored and left after a month or so. I hear it’s free to play now, but the point is that I spent $150 on a game that I don’t play.

I spent $60 on GW2 and have enjoyed it a lot more than SWTOR – it was a good game but once the “cool! lightsabers!” thing wears off there’s not much there. On the other hand for the same $60 I can keep playing GW2 until the last server shuts down, presumably many years from now.

Posted by: Gryz.8376

Gryz.8376

I paid 41 euros.
GW2 delivered enough content and enjoyment for me.

However, it was not a bargain. It did not give me more than I paid for. I finished leveling to 80 this afternoon. I might finish world completion. But I will not start an alt. I will not do PvP. And the developers of the dungeons have told me (on this forum) that I am not worthy to play the content they developed. I feel I am done with the game.

It was sometimes fun. Sometimes it was very bland. I could explain in detail why, but nobody is interested (and certainly Arenanet is not interested). I have fond memories of playing my first year of WoW. I have fond memories of TBC. I played a zillion hours of UT (over a decade ago), and I will never forget that game. Morrowind stole my heart. Thief 1&2 and System Shock are amongst my favorite games. Maybe I can name a few more. But Guild Wars definitely doesn’t belong in that list. The game world was beautiful, the jump puzzles are fun. But the PvE-game-mechanics are just not good. GW2 is not a classic for me. I will not buy any expansion-packs.

Posted by: Kira.8695

Kira.8695

Worth the $60 for my copy, the $60 for my hubby’s copy, and all the $$ worth of gems we’ve bought so far too!

It wasn’t Quite what I expected, but it captured the essence of every important thing I hoped for, and will almost definitely be my MMO of choice for some time to come. I look forward to their future content, and fully intend to continue supporting ANet with GW2!

Posted by: Fenris.2483

Fenris.2483

For me it’s a strong yes I’ve put in close to 300hrs and I brought my Hardcore WoW guild over and we’re all having a blast.

Officer of Tyrian Claws 500 Strong Ehmry Bay Guild
80 Guardian |100% World Comp |“Yes I’m a Dev and
yes I’m a wolf and no you can’t touch my tail.”

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

No its has not been worth my money, I feel like I should give them much more than I paid.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Best $60 I ever spent

Posted by: douceline.2741

douceline.2741

Definitely. It’s been pretty stellar so far, the occasional glitch aside. I must have put in at least a good hundred or more hours and still feel like I am nowhere near done exploring the world.

Posted by: Granz.4068

Granz.4068

Yep… I finished Gears of war 1,2 and 3 in 8 hours and never complained. This game is well worth it.

Posted by: Morgolus.9637

Morgolus.9637

Worth my $140 actually. Love it love it love it!

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

My 400 hours on 7 characters definitely says yes

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Sure is, I’m having fun with it.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

I wish I had my $120 back

Making a terrible decision to not give us an FoV adjustment in the near future was the last straw.

It’s sad too, word of mouth is the best advertising you could ask for. Well, those words won’t be coming out of my mouth.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

If I looked it like a play station or xbox game that you play for a month, then sure.

Was it worth it looking at it like an mmorpg? No, not at all.

Posted by: Zzulu.5489

Zzulu.5489

Yes. I won’t keep playing much longer but I definitely got my moneys worth. I’ll be looking forward to future expansions/DLC content

Posted by: Makade.8042

Makade.8042

Absolutely. But I am not sure it is worth my time to continue. We shall see how the game shakes out here in the next month.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. At this point in my life my time is worth more than $60 and I am wondering whether or not I should invest my limited amount of “hobby time” into this game or another MMO that has more going on at level cap. Tough decision.

Posted by: elpsychodiablo.7168

elpsychodiablo.7168

For me i think the 60€ was a waste it was so hard the last years waiting for GW2 , after 2 weeks leveling to 80 i dont know what i should do, the endgame is kind of boring so i go back to League of Legends again.

I dont buy a game for Leveling twinks i want good endgame.

Posted by: Synn Dinalt.7251

Synn Dinalt.7251

:) Can only answer the question based on my experience – so this is only my view, and I realise others will totally disagree.

So, has GW2 been worth my $60.00 ?

A resounding no I’m afraid.

Never played wow before anyone mentions that, but played the original GW since just after its release date, through all add ons and still play occasionally now.

For me, I doubt if I’ve even put 20 hours into the game. Keep trying, but the game just hasn’t pulled me in at all. PvE seems like an endless grind, and the social interraction in GW2 (compared with GW1) is lacking in my view.

Back then you’d have people forming parties to take on the next level, higher levels helping out – here with endgame being the philosophy, you can rank up quickly, but there’s no sense of community in PvE at all.
Just run around with a bunch of players who may as well be game generated, and kill the next horde before moving on.

So no – only my view, but it’s been worth nowhere near my $60.00. Maybe PvP and WvW are better, but I haven’t stuck around to find out as the server waits are sooooo long.
And judging by those who reach the level cap, I really can’t be bothered to grind to 80 and then find it was a waste……………………………….lol, because despite everything, there are still the usual grind elements here – just dressed up differently. And with no arching epic storyline carrying you through, it gets old and dull quickly.

:)As I say, only my honest answer to the question – I know many love the GW2 format, and I wish them well.

(edited by Synn Dinalt.7251)

Posted by: Dangerkips.6035

Dangerkips.6035

Boredom has set in after 117 hours.

Despite my many, many grievances with the way the game works, I’d say it was worth the price by merit of it being a one-off fee.

Can always come back 6 months or a year from now and see if they’ve made any of the improvements they need to make to appeal to a larger audience than communist elitist hipsters/wow bashers.

Posted by: Orissa.1872

Orissa.1872

Guild Wars 2: 55€ – 3 weeks played (every single day), got bored, it will be like that till the next expansion or full dungeon fixes (SE, be more popular pls :<)

Now for comparition, the other games which are feeling as single player as GW2:
VtM: Bloodlines: 20€ – whole game passed at least 8 times (more than 1 month), fan-made mods are giving another month of fun. Game was poorly developed, yet still the lore/background works like magnet
Jade Empire Special Edition: 2,5€ (yes, so cheap in my country) – whole game passed 3 times at different difficulty levels (almost a month), still didn’t master all fighting styles and techniques
Fallout 3 (with all DLC): 20€ – whole game passed 2 times, normally and with Brotherhood of Steel (almost a month), still didn’t explore many locations, for sure I’m gonna play at least 1 more time. Maybe some day I’ll play the rest of DLC
Saints Row 3: 40€ – game fully passed only 1 time, but it doesn’t matter. I’m jumping into any saved game and doing whatever I want, never getting bored of it. For sure almost a month played

I’m not finding GW2 worth all this money. It seemed to be AT LEAST as interesting as the games above, but came out to be incredibly boring Maybe it’s just me, but it’s caused by terribly fast leveling and poorly developed end-game content. Reaching level 80 should take at least 2x more time
I don’t really know why, but I’m finding dynamic events more boring than classic repeatable quests in other MMOs. Maybe because they’re too fast, again same problem. Over certain period of time, we can do few times more turns of the same event than turns of the same classic quest. Also events are never including real traveling
PvP is pointless, repeating the same content all the time makes sense in MOBA games, there are elements of strategy and huge variety of tactics, but sadly MMORPG will never meet all those conditions. Collecting glory and advancing in ranks is not motivating enough, in MOBA games we’re getting some kinds of ranks and reward points, but it’s not the reason why we’re playing them
WvW is far different from either MOBA strategy or classic GvG, it’s something really huge and almost uncontrolable, I’m always feeling like I wasn’t be affecting the current state of fight. Also it lasts way too long to be able to change anything when something goes wrong or your server is just unlucky this time
Dungeons are still a bit bugged/unbalanced, those issues are getting fixed over time and I’m glad for it. But there’s no point doing the same dungeon more than X times, as tokens are exchanged only for gear and some useless consumables. After getting even 2 different sets (let’s say PvE and PvP one) there’s no reason to farm tokens anymore. And farming items/materials is just a joke with recent drop nerfs

Posted by: Dwarfstar.4928

Dwarfstar.4928

Hmmmm….let me think. 7 toons (5@ lvls 27-30)1 full time crafter lvl 11, 1 baby Mes @ lvl 12? Very few forum posts (due to playing all the time). You tell me. =)

“No, on second thought, let’s not go to Camelot. ’Tis a silly place.”

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

This game wasn’t getting “legendary” or “platinum” value for money ratings from critics and reviewers alike for no reason

YES, dear lord yes this is a game I can take only moderately seriously and still jump in and out and at it’s core it never changes, I only simply adapt more to it and truly as my skill and familiarity increases so does my enjoyment.
It offers up all the great aspects of an MMO, minus the RUBBISH old requirements of a role focus without the painful toxic player friendly designs.
It’s still got growing pains and problems, truly it’s got a long way to go (we hope)
But for some reason the more I understand the game the more I’m willing to overlook the imperfections be they permanent or temporary and see that at it’s core this is one heck of a solid and interesting game, if you expect too much of it then like everything it will let you down. But if you instead just look at what it’s offering in simple terms for NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE, it’s insane

“we want to underpromise, and overdeliver”

Good job, that’s EXACTLY what you guys did

Irony…. xD

Posted by: digglur.7285

digglur.7285

Yes! Ill get my money back in 4 months of not playing WoW.. Thank you Anet for breaking those blizz chains!!

Posted by: Kog.6710

Kog.6710

sure, I guess but its really stale right now. Btw, most people that would have answered “no” arent bothered reading this forum since theyre gone.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

sure, I guess but its really stale right now. Btw, most people that would have answered “no” arent bothered reading this forum since theyre gone.

Well, at least they’re not denied posting privileges for not being subbed to GW2
unlike another M.M.O we all know :P
If they chose to leave with some hard words and reasons they can.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

I actually paid $80 for the Digital Deluxe edition, and so far, I’d say without qualification that it’s been worth. Every. Single. Cent.

I just brought my second character to level 80 today in Fireheart Rise, and she’s still got a substantial amount of map to explore. She’s hiding out in an Ash Legion outpost right now because she doesn’t feel like battling Flame Legion on a Saturday night. :P I’ve been playing many hours every single day since headstart and I haven’t gotten jaded or bored yet, and knock on wood, won’t for a long, long time.

Posted by: Czinger.6314

Czinger.6314

Yes, it is worth the purchase, times 10.

Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz-16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

Yes, I really enjoy the game

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

No. The state of the game is near that of a beta. I’d take back my money in a heartbeat if I could. ArenaNet should be ashamed.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

Posted by: Zia.9251

Zia.9251

Well, a lot more then $60 for me (collector’s edition) but I don’t regret it at all. So far I’m enjoying myself a lot. Sure there are some minor things I dislike but like I said, minor, no game is perfect. I play almost every evenings, sometimes many hours sometime just one. I see myself playing GW2 for many years probably and I look forward to see what they will add to the game over time. For now super busy with what we have .

Sure there are a couple bugged events but nothing game breaking. I usually go back to them after a reset and can still complete my maps There is no rush after all.

Posted by: luchifer.6401

luchifer.6401

Y es, and so was SWTOR.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

A better question is has Guild Wars 2 been worth….

The 300 hours I’ve spent on it so far
The 5 years waiting for it
The grind I did in GW1 for the HoM well after I completed the game before the HoM came out.
The countless arguments I got into based on a possible release date
The $1000 I spent on a new computer to run Guild Wars 2 with no FPS issues
The $60 I spent on the original game
The $40 I spent on gas to go to PAX Prime last year just to play 40 minutes of Guild Wars 2
Not to mention the 3 hours I stood in line, with very little sleep.
The $50 I spent on gems.

The answer…..

Totally worth it

Posted by: FurMaz.1645

FurMaz.1645

I’m going to say no, because I haven’t actually been able to play the game I paid, because of being hacked, disabled, and banned for VERY stupid reasons without warning, Anet has really bad support and it takes about 5-6 days to get any help at all. I’m not going to complain about the abundance of bugged SPs, Item’s, and events. Of course Anets awesome moderator team is going to remove all the messages that make them look bad because they are in doubt.

Posted by: FurMaz.1645

FurMaz.1645

Um… is it sad that i spent $220+ on this game so far?
$80 for the game and the rest for gems

Yes, Anet wants to suck all the money out of you. If you don’t spend gems for gold you have to farm orr all day to get anything, so when idiots say they’ve spent 200+ hours on this game and that makes it good, it doesn’t, it just means they wasted 200+ hours of their life