Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smigl.6178

Smigl.6178

Absolutely. Gave me x times more fun then some other games i pay 60$. sadly fun is over for me after 250 hours. But it was a very nice ride

Posted by: Sinfullysweet.4517

Sinfullysweet.4517

Very much so, I enjoy the people, I can always do something different each time I log in. that and I don’t feel like I am in a huge mad rush to get to top level.

For me that is a first in a game.

[OTG] ~ [GAME]~ [ROAM]~[AUTH]~ [LOFT]
Current Home: Yaks Bend Former Home: Maguuma/TC/SBI
Sin’s Characters on Gw2efficiency

Posted by: Ruin.1927

Ruin.1927

… Somtimes… it feels like they should be paying us for doing QA’s job. We find bugs, we write them. we find bots, we report them (granted the bots part isn’t QA’s responsibility).

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

… Somtimes… it feels like they should be paying us for doing QA’s job. We find bugs, we write them. we find bots, we report them (granted the bots part isn’t QA’s responsibility).

QA meaning Quality Assurance right? Those people fix bugs, test things within the game.
Bots are like…Game Masters job. [GM’s] That ban people on the spot. Which we really need.
Quality Botsurance.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Ruin.1927

Ruin.1927

Yah. The bots are a pain and can really hurt the game (destroy the economy). Bugs are still just as damaging. QA Testers don’t fix bugs, they just find them and write them up. Literally what we (the players) are asked to do. It’s the developers that get the bug report, make the fix, then send it back to QA to confirm the fix.

I’m frustrated because I use to work as a tester. I’d be embarrassed if i was on a project that was released and a ton of bugs were found. It would reflect badly on me and my team.

It sucks to want to enjoy a game so much, and then run into issues that i feel someone else (who’s getting paid) should have found, written up, and gotten fixed. Instead, we do it for free on our gaming time.

Posted by: Bbaghi.8934

Bbaghi.8934

I’m a PVP guy and rendering issue has been there since the start for me. If they fix this its a yes else I doubt it.

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

“Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?”
Honestly I can’t say so at this point in time. I’ll think about this question two months or three from now.
I’m still playing, so that’s good, at least.
When it comes to MMOs I judge them as a whole, and I can only do so 3+ months after I’ve played it enough. It may all fall apart once I hit 80, making me change my stance on the levelling experience.
MMOs != single player games.

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

I’ve put more hours into this game than I did Skyrim, so it’s been worth the purchase price. The game DID live up to its hype as far as being refreshing. Very little about this game is recycled designs choices we’ve seen for the last decade.

Love it or hate it, GW2 has become the industry changer it wanted to be.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: InfiniteRetro.9865

InfiniteRetro.9865

I’ve put more hours into this game than I did Skyrim, so it’s been worth the purchase price. The game DID live up to its hype as far as being refreshing. Very little about this game is recycled designs choices we’ve seen for the last decade.

Love it or hate it, GW2 has become the industry changer it wanted to be.

changed what exactly? i dont see these changes. i see an mmo full of carebear systems because gamers feel too griefed having a node stolen or a mob tagged before their lazy bum got to their first.

gw2 changed the industry in the same way rift, star wars tor, age of conan and the whole long list of mmos did. oh wait, they didnt.

Posted by: ladague.1456

ladague.1456

No, I’m afraid not. I was really looking forward to GW2, but I must say that I am disappointed.

I don’t like being forced to play in big groups to participate in events. I don’t like being forced to participate in PvP in order to fully explore the world. I don’t like jumping games. I am all for being sociable, but not for being forced to be social.

There are things I love such as the graphics, the towns, and the item shop, but the things I don’t like outweigh the things I do like. I’ve actually quit playing. I found GW1 to be a more exciting game and to fit my style of play better. Since I usually play when others don’t, I can just get together my heros and henchies and go out and have a good time in a way that is just not possible with GW2.

InfiniteRetro.9865

No, I’m afraid not. I was really looking forward to GW2, but I must say that I am disappointed.

I don’t like being forced to play in big groups to participate in events. I don’t like being forced to participate in PvP in order to fully explore the world. I don’t like jumping games. I am all for being sociable, but not for being forced to be social.

There are things I love such as the graphics, the towns, and the item shop, but the things I don’t like outweigh the things I do like. I’ve actually quit playing. I found GW1 to be a more exciting game and to fit my style of play better. Since I usually play when others don’t, I can just get together my heros and henchies and go out and have a good time in a way that is just not possible with GW2.

firing up gw1 after loading up gw2 is like going from a garbage bin meal to a 5 star restaurant.

Posted by: Dejavu.3264

Dejavu.3264

Worth every single penny, and then some!

[DPS]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

Worth the 60 bucks – for the amount of hours it kept me occupied I would have spent much for shopping.

Was not worth spending more than 60, and same for bf and friends who are normally more frequent with their cs spending.
1. No purchase security/guarantee: no gem/item refund if you misclicked, system bugged, server lagged, etc etc

2. Really bad experience at the start w/ the karma/food thing- lack of uniform policy on dealing w/ people getting 100 golds and way to harsh on one subgroup that took advantage of one of several pricing issues while ignoring the other groups. (In before flame) I’m aware Anet can do whatever they want, but comparing to how other big gaming industries have handled similar issues, the customer policy/treatment is very different.

3. Continued lack of trust and transparency in basic Karma DR timers, Dungeon DR status, etc etc.

Part of the meh is probably due to expectation. you know, guild wars 2, advertised for their emphasis on community building and connecting with friends. Expected them to apply some of that community building between developers and players, yeah…….

That being said. They did a great job with the game itself. Love the classes and the thoughtful details in so many things. I really enjoyed the quirky and humor in gw2. The jumping puzzles, and trollish events (snowball the kids!), the random funky conversations. Gear is super duper easy to get-YAY-, although frustrating experience due to bugs, lack of notices, lack of info..

TL;DR Great game concept and design! Good software!! Would have been worth cash shopping but hammered down by Poor customer relations, unreliable Coding quality, basic checks, balances, controls…. the service side of things.

Posted by: ladague.1456

ladague.1456

firing up gw1 after loading up gw2 is like going from a garbage bin meal to a 5 star restaurant.

That’s a bit harsh, I would say. GW2 is probably just fine for those who can play at times others can and who really enjoy PvP. It’s not so great, though, if you don’t fit that profile.

It’s very much as if the developers decreed that their idea of fun was the be-all end-all and that anyone who had any other ideas or requirements could just forget it. I never had that feeling with GW1. Certainly GW1 wasn’t perfect, especially when PvE skills were nerfed due to PvP concerns, but it was a better fit for the casual gamer.

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

i dont see the ‘industry changer’ thing either.

they made so called world persistent dynamic events wich are not persistent at all
and repeat every x minuts

they dont have quests anymore, but hearts which are, oh wait quests

and i feel so useless in this world. what the kitten am i doing here and why?
only god knows

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

InfiniteRetro.9865

That’s a bit harsh, I would say. GW2 is probably just fine for those who can play at times others can and who really enjoy PvP. It’s not so great, though, if you don’t fit that profile.

It’s very much as if the developers decreed that their idea of fun was the be-all end-all and that anyone who had any other ideas or requirements could just forget it. I never had that feeling with GW1. Certainly GW1 wasn’t perfect, especially when PvE skills were nerfed due to PvP concerns, but it was a better fit for the casual gamer.

its the truth. their entire manifesto was just PR rubbish to try and win ‘other mmo’ gamers because anet decreed games like wow or what not were old and boring and they were somehow inventing the wheel (despite warhammer, tera and rift beating them to the punch).

then they launch a game people were knocking over within 6 days. add to that they stealth patch in DR, fail to address botting, fail to address glaring issues relevant since bwe1.

and people wonder why mmo’s try to go with a sub.

oh let me add in the fact they cannot roll back your account if it gets hacked. 2012 programming right up in this joint.

(edited by InfiniteRetro.9865)

Posted by: Eve.1029

Eve.1029

@InfiniteRetro.9865 wait, really? No rollback/restore abilities? Heard from friend or customer support? I know they can’t/lack policy to restore Gold if the gem exchanges bugged and ate your gold and didn’t give you gems back, but char restore is kinda basic.

InfiniteRetro.9865

@InfiniteRetro.9865 wait, really? No rollback/restore abilities? Heard from friend or customer support? I know they can’t/lack policy to restore Gold if the gem exchanges bugged and ate your gold and didn’t give you gems back, but char restore is kinda basic.

i even did a video about it on my channel showcasing the email from arenanet themselves.

to quote:
“In regards to missing gold, characters and items, currently we are technically unable to provide restorations or any direct assistance with reclaiming what was lost.”

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

I spent almost 200€ in GW2, and totally worth it in comparison with other games.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

@Terok
“Love it or hate it, GW2 has become the industry changer it wanted to be.”

LMAO oh wow that made me laugh. GW2 has not changed anything for the industry. Nothing is new and inventive one bit. The questing system is horrible. “Farm events”. Yeah do that now that the zones are all dead and you are the only one doing events. The PvP is horrid. WvW and GvG is a joke. The pve itself was nothing new or flash or inventive. In fact the pve is below Tera and Tera is horrible. So how exactly did this change anything for the industry?

If anything my money is that Titan will will change things. You can bank on that.

(edited by bojangles.6912)

Posted by: philzouk.9306

philzouk.9306

YES!
The game is amazing.

Posted by: Discordia.8761

Discordia.8761

The game was worth $60 but not a penny more. I got my moneys worth but I cant wait for a new game to launch I will not be coming back.

Posted by: NorthStar.3798

NorthStar.3798

Yes of course !! Best MMO game so far IMHO..

[VNG]Northstar
www.VengeanceClan.com
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

From a pure time spent playing to dollars spent, since people always bring this ratio in, it’s definitely been worth it. However, the enjoyment once I got to 80 has been steadily diminishing.

I acknowledge though that while a lot of my discontent has a lot to do with content, finding a good player-base, whether it’s the entire community, a guild, or group of friends, is key for long-term enjoyment (at least for my enjoyment).

Posted by: Clownbaby.2065

Clownbaby.2065

Just got it from Greenmangaming for $45. I really dig it thus far. Don’t know anyone who plays currently. Using the Mac client mostly and really impressed by what was pulled off with this. I was never a WoW person. My MMO experiences are limited to Final Fantasy 11 and some lesser long dead games. So it’s a big jump.

Very worth the cash. Now if only I can meet some cool regular players who don’t mind a new guy asking random dumb questions. I tend to not do it much but it happens.

Looking to transfer to a more active and friendlier world. The one I’m on seems very isolated.

(edited by Clownbaby.2065)

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

$60?

Collectors Edition. Soundtrack. Character slots. Bank slots. Gems for misc purchases. Charr plushie. The total is a bit embarrassing. (Disposable income and having other past times that are relatively cheap is a wonderful thing)

And you know, after all that I still think I’ve gotten my money’s worth

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Algo.3972

Algo.3972

Well worth the 60 bucks, no doubt. I have 3 80s running around, and am still continually amazed at the size of each PVE zone and the sheer amount of stuff going on in each one. Plus the combat is just intensely fun, and you guys really delivered an experience that captures the spirit of open world coop play (whether you’re in PVE or PVP).

seriously. THANK YOU.

(edited by Algo.3972)

Posted by: Hargrik.8672

Hargrik.8672

Hell yes! Every other game sound uninteresting to me now.

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

Ofc.

Just some fixes in PvP and some more content and it’s the best mmo so far.

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: fenec.4835

fenec.4835

No. I don’t think Guildwars 2 was worth the $48 I spent on it. I had a pretty weird experience with GW2. The first time I played it during BWE 1 I found it to be very dull. In BWE 2 my opinion changed and I thought it was pretty great. By BWE 3 I found it to be dull again. At release I found the game to be quite fun as most games at release are. I quickly found the experience to again be fairly dull and only spiking in fun at some points like during some main story quest lines or when you hit a milestone in leveling and unlock something. This is my main problem with GW2, even if the experience isn’t a bad one- it’s rarely a great one or even a good experience. It’s just okay and stays that way. I find myself confused when I read other people rave about the game because while I understand that I’m in the minority with my opinion, I have always found myself open and I can usually see why people might find certain things appealing even when I don’t. With GW2 I just don’t see where the fun is or how anyone could see this more than just okay or good. Really though where is the fun? Is it at level 80? Because seeing what the game has to offer 1-60 I just didn’t find any fun that lasts very long.

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

No. I don’t think Guildwars 2 was worth the $48 I spent on it. I had a pretty weird experience with GW2. The first time I played it during BWE 1 I found it to be very dull. In BWE 2 my opinion changed and I thought it was pretty great. By BWE 3 I found it to be dull again. At release I found the game to be quite fun as most games at release are. I quickly found the experience to again be fairly dull and only spiking in fun at some points like during some main story quest lines or when you hit a milestone in leveling and unlock something. This is my main problem with GW2, even if the experience isn’t a bad one- it’s rarely a great one or even a good experience. It’s just okay and stays that way. I find myself confused when I read other people rave about the game because while I understand that I’m in the minority with my opinion, I have always found myself open and I can usually see why people might find certain things appealing even when I don’t. With GW2 I just don’t see where the fun is or how anyone could see this more than just okay or good. Really though where is the fun? Is it at level 80? Because seeing what the game has to offer 1-60 I just didn’t find any fun that lasts very long.

You got no fun lvling because you already did it in BW, it’s ur fault. I played BW1 for like 32h.BW2 and BW3 i just played for like 1h. Nothing more, because i knew i would lose the fun of lvling up. It’s completely your fault :P

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: fenec.4835

fenec.4835

You got no fun lvling because you already did it in BW, it’s ur fault. I played BW1 for like 32h.BW2 and BW3 i just played for like 1h. Nothing more, because i knew i would lose the fun of lvling up. It’s completely your fault :P

No.

Posted by: Benkei.6293

Benkei.6293

remove bots and it would be worth my 60$+ 140$ for sure but with all this bots running the economy and the lack of real endgame gear, the game after beaten it has no replay value. legendary arent epic. game is lackluster in the aspect of hardcore gamers hit the endgame and there is nothing else to do.

Also having all gears to do the same makes people build way to similar.
most of you dont know what im talking about but you will after u play a couple 100s+ hours

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

I’m glad I left the cartoony world of WoW for GW2. This game is beautiful (not as gorgeous as Skyrim) but kitten good. I really enjoy it.

Posted by: Sals.9534

Sals.9534

Cost $60 to fill up the gas tank, that lasts a week!
I could play this game for along time due to no subscription.

After all the MMO failures in the last 7 years GW2 has a lot going for it.

Colegate / Selos Song Kaineng-DE Guild

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Yeah it was. Especially considering there is no monthly fee, otherwise it wouldn’t be – no game is worth a sub fee.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

What I dont like, and the reason why many mature mmo enthusiasts aren’t playing much longer is that combat and wvw is meaningless.

I’m a mature (44 years old today) MMO veteran (been playing those games in their graphical version since UO beta like 17 years ago, and some text MUDs before too), and I still thoroughly enjoy GW2 even though I already have a 80 in full exotics. WvW is awesome, and my guild and me are having a blast. Combat is refreshing after the awful invasion of WoW clones these last 8 years.
Just to say – don’t assume your personal experience and opinion is anything even remotely close to any majority. All you do is flexing some virtual meaningless muscle here, nothing more.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Posted by: AsgardNation.2953

AsgardNation.2953

im waiting for much better/cooler items in shop in order to spend much more!

Posted by: AsgardNation.2953

AsgardNation.2953

already bought a logitech g700 to replace sidewinder x8only for this game. but shop its empty, and the primeval suit its dissapointing, i want a perma suit even at 5x actual price

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Well worth it, my /age is kinda sad considering I have an SO and a fulltime job. Sometimes I wonder how I get that many hours logged in…

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

There are a lot of negative and positive posts here… it’s too bad not everyone can be happy with their purchase. I’m on the satisfied side of things. The game has lived up to my expectations and I’m still enjoying it and I believe I’ll be enjoying it for many years to come.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: TrickSmartly.7391

TrickSmartly.7391

No no no no no no no no

Posted by: Whistu.6019

Whistu.6019

Game is amazing. Not sure what anybody who complains expects for $60? Unless you played it for a few hours, didn’t like it, and quit, I would like to hear some examples of things that cost $60 and give more entertainment time.

When people wonder what is game changing about it-id say a few small things like not competing for resources and xp by not hitting mobs first-but the large one to me is no kitten monthly subscription fee. This game compares to other MMO’s out there that charge you just to be able to play the kitten game you already paid for. That is a huge difference to me.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I was so impressed that I gave them a 110 dollar tip via the gem trade.

Posted by: dandamanno.4136

dandamanno.4136

Yes. If I were to stop now it was well worth the $60.00. Every day I continue to play just makes it more of a bargain.

Posted by: Knifeprrty.8274

Knifeprrty.8274

No, I very much wish I could get a refund.

Posted by: Seraph.8315

Seraph.8315

YES! Additionally I am eagerly anticipating unannounced upcoming world events, festivals, the new content, etc.

Great Game!

Posted by: Valhallen.1693

Valhallen.1693

It is by far the best $60 I have ever spent.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

$60 for an entertainment product shouldn’t be looked purely by hours of “entertainment” it can provide, but also relative to the quality hours of enjoyment and degree of enjoyment you can get from it….

I still have an old Risk, Monopoly, and Chest/Checkers set from ages ago and if I can get any half decent player(s), it can be a blast… Considering how many hours I’ve “logged” into any one of these games for their price, GW2 has a long way to go. The difference too… about 95% of my time playing these board games have been enjoyable, even when getting my butt kicked. I can’t exactly say the same for GW2.

Going to a sporting/concert event (for a sport/team/band you like) can be super expensive, but it can be so electrifying to be there such that the enjoyment of the moment way exceeds whatever you could get from any game.

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

Add 2 yes answers – both my wife and I love it.

-A man of many Valins [KONG]