Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Yes, it’s worth it for me.
It’s the same price as any ps3 games I bought.

GW2 feels like a ps3 game than a mmorpg though. >_<
It’s great for the journey to end of story and level cap, but the end-game doesn’t pull me into it. I feel that mmo should constantly make players stay even after they reach the end of story and level cap. I’m waiting for them to improve on their end-game.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Yes. Absolutely.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

I agree with Naoko.
GW2 is like a PS3 game, to me it’s too single-player as of late…All you need are like Serpah/Vigil all those other folk NPCS and recruit to make the game a Console solo game.
My main problem is that, the rest of the stuff is okay but kitten man where are people in this game? Absolutely no one talks. I say this everywhere I go when giving my opinion with GW2, other than that. It’s alright and my friend bought this for me so lol.
There are problems but everyone else said it. It’s still a fun game to me.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Rich Beardman.4763

Rich Beardman.4763

No. The pre purchase was about what I spent for the first two parts of GW1 – I played through all four parts. The story lines were interesting, cut scene dialogue at least well acted and no subscription. If you wanted pvp at odd hours you could move around servers all over the world – Europe, USA and Rest of World to find populated servers. This game GW2 is boring and buggy and I’ve only bothered to level to 80 to see whether it would get any better – even the cut scene dialogue is appallingly acted – who hired the guy who voices Trehearne or is his wooden reading actually method acting so he’s reading it with the emotion of a block of wood. The set skill bar is pathetic. GW1 only had 8 skills available at a time but you could create all sorts of builds with all the skills you could get. So no, compared with what I spent on GW1, GW2 was not worth it.

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Well I disagree with your opinion, but that is just me. This threads is a good reason why they should offer an opportunity to make “polls” in the forums.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

Definately, even if I stopped playing now. In its current state it would not keep me playing for years, but then I’m positive that more features and content will be added in time. Without sub to pay, I find it easier to stop playing for a while and come back later on. Just like I did with GW1.

Posted by: Crudelis.5420

Crudelis.5420

No, I haven’t even finished leveling due to the boring grindy nature of it, and got tired of zerg vs. zerg, I like quality pvp and this game lacks it.

Posted by: nlgray.5846

nlgray.5846

Yes and thank you Arenanet!

PS
WTB FOV slider

Posted by: Birkita.3240

Birkita.3240

Yes. I have 6 chars with not even close to 80 but I do not care as I am loving the journey.

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

ArenaNet basically took multiple features from Multiple MMO, and did poorly on them all..

World vs World – Worse then both DAOC and Warhammer Online
PVE – Their Event system was stolen from Warhammer and is Worse, Hell Rift’s system is better. Dungeon wise pretty much every MMO is better
Classes – Pretty much same as every other MMO, only they’ve managed to make some things worse (Thieves for example)

I mean, if this game actually had a Subscription fee, You’d get to see how poorly it will end up doing.

Its going to fail just as badly as every other MMO released.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

60$??

Well first I paid for two digital deluxe editions, one for me one for fiance. Then we both needed at least 8 character slots. Plus 3, 5 for her, extra bank slots. Then there is the bag issue we had to increase, and the black lion keys, dye sets etc.

I love it all. I would gladly pay every bit of it again because it is fun. The only exception is the stupid requirement of PvP in order to get 100% exploration. Not an issue for me as I love PvP, but for her that’s a killer. Doubt she will get any expansions or anything because they probably plan on forcing more PvE players into PvP and they just don’t feel comfortable there. Fortunately I have no problem working towards crafting her legendary for her.

Posted by: Zilvarael.2301

Zilvarael.2301

Anyone who says no is nuts, I realize that NO mmo is perfect but for the price I could not beat this. Plus the added perk of not having to pay monthly! This game so far has been a dream come true I just wish I had more time to play it!

Over all Wonderful experience. Neither overly challenging but not incredibly simple. On my main character I only have three percent of the map known. And I’m looking forward to seeing what other adventures are in wait!

Plus: I just started two days ago

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Consider I haven’t had to pay a monthly fee in two months, which equals to $30 and that’s half of the game price, . . . . Yes.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Yes as well.

I just expect to see more patches and bot banning.

Also, a little help for melee on DE couldnt hurt either.

Balthazar temple as melee is still in my memory.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

ArenaNet basically took multiple features from Multiple MMO, and did poorly on them all..

World vs World – Worse then both DAOC and Warhammer Online
PVE – Their Event system was stolen from Warhammer and is Worse, Hell Rift’s system is better. Dungeon wise pretty much every MMO is better
Classes – Pretty much same as every other MMO, only they’ve managed to make some things worse (Thieves for example)

I mean, if this game actually had a Subscription fee, You’d get to see how poorly it will end up doing.

Its going to fail just as badly as every other MMO released.

That your personal opinion.
I cant agree that world v world is remotely close to player versus door on warhammer.

The only thing killing wvwvw for me is the lack of faster control on those exploits….

DE events are fun and people complainning about it is because they cant get a group of friends and actually progress in Orr.

Dungeons are as well pretty interesting, but it is far too hard to do as melee.
I can do it just fine, but ranged get an easier time.

Posted by: Eyevan.6027

Eyevan.6027

At first it was a yes, but the way ANet is handling the game is making me see this more and more as a regret.

Posted by: Draconius.9076

Draconius.9076

well … yeah it has.
The game has its flaws and errors but so do all new games in the beginning.
I seriously hope they’ll get rid of the bugs and bots though nonetheless it has been money well spend, giving me hours of relaxation and amusement.

Guild: Order of an Allied Tyria [OAT] ~°~ Co-leader
Server: Underworld

Posted by: Ingram of Haz.5987

Ingram of Haz.5987

I have to say yes, I’ve gotten many hundred hours out of it but like all games after a time it goes on a shelf till I feel the need to play again. I basically log in on occasion and craft a little and catch up with the guildmates but for the most part I may only play an hour or two a week now till something new comes out to buy for it or whatever… the $60 investment at preorder and the additional $40 for strat guide and prob another $40 for account storage upgrades was well worth it so that I can play casually now at my pace anytime I wish. Well at least until NCSoft feels they milked it for all its worth and attempts to shut this game down too that is… Hopefully Anet will keep that from happening, but I doubt it. I find it very hard to trust a publishing company that shuts down games on their whims when they are still making profit and growing fan base. ArenaNet will do well to be rid of them if they want to ensure long term money commitments to future upgrades and expansions from the gaming community. If not at this point I feel I got my moneys worth, I just dont know if I will trust that I could make that commitment again with any NCSoft product.

HAZTEAM Guild
Jade Quarry
www.hazteam.net

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Closing in on 470 hours played and still having a lot of fun. I fully expect to still be having fun when I hit 1,000 hours, which will take several months, as I’m reducing my weekly hours to attain a healthier balance with RealLife.

So, yeah. More than my money’s worth. I’ve had to settle with most other MMOs in recent years being worth the box price if I got more than 40 hours of fun from them. In comparison, GW2 is a feast of fun and value too great to have imagined.

Nice to have an MMO that is actually worthy of being played for months and years, rather than days or weeks.

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

I’ve spent about 150 bucks on gems too, unlocking all bag and bank slots for my main and adding 5 more character slots. Obviously it’s more than worth 60 bucks to me, and I’ll be buying more gems too. On the other hand, I spent a bunch of leftover gems on black lion keys, and I won’t ever be doing that again.

I’m interested in the fact that it outsold pandas btw.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

Posted by: Fiesbert.9816

Fiesbert.9816

Totally worth it. One of the best games this year.

Necro autoattack/minion DPS http://tinyurl.com/8wd6lv6
DS battle tank http://tinyurl.com/8dv5q9p

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I got my first $60 by the end of the BWE’s.

And the extra spent on gems for bank slots, yep.

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

Well almost for worth $60 for me.
I’m already with Full Exotics excluding Backpack (No Exotics for this one)
but as i’ve said almost worth $60 due to the combat.

No the combat aint fast and smooth as an action mmo should be.
There are always 0.5s-1s delay in almost every skill pressed.
And Skills continue the full effect even when target is out of range or already dead.
Delaying time to switch target, another delay there.
There are couple of threads bout this already.

Expansions – Doubt i’ll be getting the expansions if combat stay as it is.
Unless Anet does something bout the combat.

• Coming from WoW, Loong – Power of Dragons & RIFT. Combat in those games are really fast and fluid. Furthermore they are not action mmorpg.
    And believe it or not i played GW1 for 4 years. Anet knows

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone for all the nice comments about Gw2 in this thread. We’re thrilled to see such an overwhelming majority of you feel like you got more than your moneys worth out of Gw2!

And while that is all well and good, we’d like to think we can give you even more for that initial $60 investment. The Shadow of the Mad King release on 10/22 is just the start of what will be a series of high quality regular releases expanding on all parts of the Gw2 world, from special events and holidays, to new content and features.

Our hope is by the end of the year, you look back on those $60 and feel like you not only got a great game, you also got a massive amount of live additions as part of that one-time purchase.

We’d love to have you all come back to this thread on January 1st 2013 and let us know how we’re doing

Thanks again everyone, and see you in game!

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

@Colin Johanson:

Your game rocks (best MMORPG in the last 8 years, as I already said), but you guys must be careful with the bugs – I hope the Halloween event won’t be bug ridden, since you have no test server of any kind.

So I come to my question which you will hopefully see and answer – do you guys plan to add a test server to the game? I know that for some, it can spoil the surprise on new content, but it’s also invaluable in helping to release bug free content.

Anyway, keep up the good job – I’ll be with you for a long time I think

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: MrThebigcheese.2014

MrThebigcheese.2014

It’s worth 60 bucks, but it’s a pretty weak mmo. I really don’t like the new insanely simplified classes. Such a gigantic step backwards from not only the 1st game, but for the genre in general.

Posted by: Zii The Mad.2563

Zii The Mad.2563

I got 300 hours worth. That is enough for 110€.

Posted by: Magoslich.6857

Magoslich.6857

I can say I’m really enjoying the game. My only thing I would really like to see is more mini dungeons in the game. Font of Rhand/Flame Legion Tombs was a lot of fun, and having more things like that would be a nice change if you don’t want to do a full on dungeon.

I would also like the option of doing personal story style missions for my order or for the Pact after completing the overall story. Sort of an explorable mode but for personal story.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

No,

I spent 2 weeks on my first character, another mindless 2 weeks on getting his armor (didn’t enjoy that 2 weeks at all) by the time I got to my alts everything content wise was stale. I could get the same kind of deal on a single player game minus the bugs.

Guild wars 1 = worth it

Diablo 2 = worth it

GW2 = not worth it.

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

60 bucks is worth how much fun I have gotten from the game, but I can’t say I am not disappointed, this game could be so much more than just slightly better than a single player game with multiplayer elements.

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Yes x60.
But then again you track player metrics so you already know!

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

After the first BWE I felt like I had spent my money wisely and I still feel that way today; I’d buy the game all over again.

Really lookin’ forward to the Halloween update, too, and everything else what comes after.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

I needed about 150 hours to reach level 80 with my elementalist. Until then the game was great and already worth the 57 € I had paid for it.

Now I am at 290 hours. It is still ok but not as good as it could be. Very repetitive grinding in Orr. Dungeons are ok for me but to organize and then play one I need uninterrupted time – something which I only have in modest quantities (wife, 3 kids, full job). WvW is amusing though I don’t understand a lot of what is going on there. And I don’t do pvp if I can avoid it. Lots of bugs which are annoying.

But the world is beautiful – and I still have no world completion yet. So I soldier on.

All in all, yes, it was worth the money I paid for. And I like the feeling that I can stop anytime without thinking about a subscription which runs while I don’t use it. I have great hopes for the future while the present does not completely cut it yet.

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

Yes it has definitely been worth the money.
Even if the game is still a bit rough it looks gorgeous and it’s fun to play and it will just improve from here on.
Looking forward to how it will evolve in the coming years !

Posted by: Yuri.5368

Yuri.5368

No, id be happier by flashing this money down the toilet, because thats how i feel about this game. Ive never played anything this bad.

Posted by: Julie.6803

Julie.6803

It’s really has been worth for my Boyfriend and I. We love playing together and our guild mates and since we have a very busy life, I like the fact that we don’t have to pay a sub fee..

We have both been playing +200 hours and we are still excited when there’s events in our zone coming and see all the other folks cheering with us when we finished to kill a boss or done a really tricky Vista.

The only negative thought I have is the fact that I can’t play my own play style even if they keep saying otherwise.. By the way, sorry for bad grammar or whatever, English is not my native language

Keyven, Asura Necromancer | The Invisible College [TIC] | Devona’s Rest

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

196 hours total so far with 114 on my Guardian alone (110 hours to level to 80 – i take my time to explore), so yes the cost to time ration has been worth it (and i haven’t even been to a few zones or done a dungeon yet).

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

It’s definitely been worth it! The fact that there is no subscription gives a whole new meaning to how much money verse content you get since they have a dedicated Live team that will be constant free updates. I think people don’t realize the immense amount of content they have to work with. None of it becomes obsolete with the release of a new expansion, so it’s only going to go up from here.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

I’ve paid $180 in the first month. lol still worth it on 500 hrs.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Flavvor.2648

Flavvor.2648

Hell ya, How could this game not be worth the 60$.

Posted by: orlen.7810

orlen.7810

even taking my time getting to 80 didn’t take long.

has it been worth it? not yet

will it be worth it? yes oh yes….they just need to fix a few broken things and i’ll be more than happy. i should point out i refer to the render issue in wvw which is my main reason for playing the game.

(edited by orlen.7810)

Posted by: domino.4603

domino.4603

No, not at this time it hasn’t. I personally find it very boring and really don’t care for it. I wont go into all the details but it doesn’t fell like an MMO to me. It feels more like an action/adventure game. At least there is no sub so I might be able to come back to it in a few months and have my impression changed. I know I am in the minority here but it’s my opinion.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

@colin: Great game. I cant get enouh. I do think, however that you guys failed to deliver on some promises. Dynamic events are fun but not world changing and i thought they would be.

With that said, best mmo on the market and i hope to see content updates every 6 to 9 months. Also, the hunger games event would be cool for thanksgiving… And you could give me the royalties for that idea…make it work for thanksgiving.

Oh btw, awesome gotee.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Foronisus.4138

Foronisus.4138

Worth?? of course 300 hours for now and still im having fun i like every detail, just finished leveling my alt and now started to gear him with Dungeon Armor. Sometimes i go do maps 100% with my main character but sometimes im bored of that and go play WvW and sPVP, sometimes i do Jumping puzzles they are so good i love em but they are sometimes killing you when you see 10 enemies attacking you and you are at end and alone. Btw sry cant speak this game has ton things to do ( goes back to Gw2)

Posted by: Narcs.9418

Narcs.9418

This is the game I was anxiously waiting for! I’ve spent more than $60 (bought the deluxe edition and 8000 gems) and will be happy to spend more when that time comes.

Never been an altoholic before until now. I love experiencing diverse play styles when I need a change. I cannot express how happy it makes me to have such gorgeous characters too!
There’s very little that I can complain about. The good, by far, out weighs whatever bad there may be.

One of the things I value the most is the time I spend with my sister (who lives in another state). We rarely see each other and GW2 allows us to be together while we’re apart.

“Never leave a wrong to ripen into evil”.

Posted by: Aelelan.1639

Aelelan.1639

So worth the money, and there’s more to come. Even the people who DON’T think that it was worth their money have the opportunity to see if it ends up being worth their money down the road and that’s probably the best part. With such a low barrier to re-entry, it’s more likely than ever that someone who wasn’t a fan of the way things were right at launch can come back later and find out that things have changed for the better. It’s kind of mind blowing.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yes, yes it has, and much much more

Posted by: indi.9832

indi.9832

Was until my animation glitch was “fixed”

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

I’d say yes. Me and my wife came over from WoW burn put after seven years. We’ve only been playing a couple days but this far we both love it. Completely different. Great community and all around fun game. A few flaws here and there but that’s to be expected.

Posted by: GarySeven.1086

GarySeven.1086

It could be. I’ve enjoyed playing to level 40, but without an FOV slider I find myself logging in less and less. I simply can’t enjoy the game at 1900 × 1200 on a 24" LCD with the current FOV. It’s sad, since there’s a fix I could install right now that would fix the issue, but I could be banned.

If you can play with the current camera issues, then it’s definitely worth the $60.