Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GreenZap.1352

GreenZap.1352

Dunno ATM. haven’t played it for awhile.
I’d say that I don’t regret buying it like I did with TSW but I don’t really enjoy playing it either right now. Too much bots, too much bugs, too few choices. My list is long

Zayn Al’Sabaan
Elonian sword-dancer, poet and bard
Greatsword Chronomancer

Posted by: timex.1739

timex.1739

No. Too many bugs, too many bots.

Posted by: duo.3490

duo.3490

was worth it till Dr was added now the way i loved to play is gone

Posted by: Cayden.4587

Cayden.4587

Totally wish I could get my 60 bucks back.

Back to Planetside 2 beta. Where 500 v 500 v 500 happens everyday with no invisible armies.

Posted by: icelance.2791

icelance.2791

i just dl gw2 and i am disappointed…
i don’t like the graphic, i don’t like the UI.
it’s no wonder they don’t offer trial.
just my opinion.
i’d like my 60 bucks back.

Posted by: oldenglish.8543

oldenglish.8543

For me it was worth it for sure. I play it exactly as I would halo/cs or something of that nature. As in I log in and run a few spvp matches and thats it. I havent leveled past the tutorial, and for me thats all this game was suppose to be.

I hate mmo’s pve, its always terrible no matter what the game and I am completely clueless to why anyone would enjoy that torture.

So as a pvp player, yes this game is great, its a lot different than wow and my only complaint is lack of communication in spvp, but everyone seems to do exactly what they need to regardless, unlike in wow where people just mess around in mid.

Great game, main game I play until Halo comes out probably.

I still play wow (bgs/arena only) and gw2 (spvp only) and I still enjoy both.

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

For me, It does worth It.

Sad to see that most of those who does not agree are those with issues that they can solve/deal with It by themselfes.

Posted by: Gulliger.8963

Gulliger.8963

No. I haven’t played since they locked me out from sending money to my friend a month and a half ago.

Posted by: Deadnight.5948

Deadnight.5948

An absolute yes. Can’t wait to purchase the next expansion too. Though i wish the boss fights were more technical and tactical, it is still the best f2p mmorph game.

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

YES it was worth the $60! I’m a level 15 Human Thief and I just 100% Queensdale, including the hidden cave ;-)

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

I’ve had 275 hours of great enjoyment out of the game and going. For time and enjoyment, it’s great.

My only disappointment with this game is that a large portion of armor and weapon design favors a specific class extremely heavily (mesmer/ranger/warrior).

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

absolutely not. it was not worth my 60 bucks. in fact, i’m pretty darn sure i’ve ripped anet off. i must owe them a mortgage by now.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Yes, even with the head start; my highest just hit 70 today. Enjoying every minute of it.

Posted by: Pyro.7640

Pyro.7640

A definite yes, and I bought the C.E.

Outside of the trading post being down in the first week and a few minor issues, it has been one of my best gaming experiences since probably Unreal Tournament and GW 1.

Posted by: John.5648

John.5648

I really really hate this game because I foresee forking over more cash to buy in-game stuff…AND I never have been so into a game that I felt compelled to buy things from an in-game store before.

GW2 is the first game I have run across where I love it so much, I will buy stuff from their store and not regret it. When you consider how much one pays to play WoW…$60 for GW2 with some light purchases (~$10/month) if you so choose, GW2 is a no brainer.

Posted by: jamescowhen.1562

jamescowhen.1562

Yes, but I don’t think I got more out of it. I say it’s worth $60 but it could have been worth so much more

Posted by: VoodooMonkey.1703

VoodooMonkey.1703

PvP like no where else.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yes i can say that the game was worth of my money.
1.I don’t pay monthly
2.I don’t feel pressured to level
3.No need to have the best gear so you can stay competitive
4.Lack of holy trinity actually a good thing.I can farm every gear that i want.And only those which i like without worring of stats.
5.I like very much the gem shop.I can buy things with in game gold.In other MMOs i didn’t have this option.

So yes it was worth my 60 bucks.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Kisses.1054

Kisses.1054

Sure, but I’ve now uninstalled it & I think that it has some of the worst pvp in any mmo I have played. It is just a joke & have little motivation to play or try to improve when I hardly ever encounter situations where I can say “oh I kittened up, do this differently next time”. In fact, worse than this, when I play certain builds I don’t feel I am punished despite making egregious errors and literally facerolling, which is why I use the term “joke”.

Time to embark on painful long (for me anyway lol) learning curve which is moba games, as friends have long recommended.

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

I’m at about 16 cents an hour at this point so I’d have to say YES.

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

Oh, yes, most definitely. And I love that, once I’ve paid my $60, it’s free to play without being naggy. Other MMOs I ultimately end up quitting because I spend a period where I don’t have time to play and feel like I’m wasting my monthly fee. No monthly fee = no play pressure, and I’ll totally be dropping some cash on the gem store in appreciation of this.

Full disclosure: half the reason I’m posting this is just to make sure the forum is working for me. Had a bit of trouble getting the log in to work for several weeks. ^.^’

Posted by: Geekcheck.3407

Geekcheck.3407

To be honest, no. I had high hopes for this game, but it took only two months of playing and the actions of ANet to make me realize that this game is probably not for me.

While countless others have pointed out specific problems such as bots, broken quests, and Legendary crafting, I feel the real problem lies in ANet’s perspective on what make a challenging game. After reading various dev responses, I feel ANet doesn’t understand the difference between challenging and frustration. There are so many fundamental problems with the game, it cannot be coincidence. — This was planned and ANet doesn’t seem to want to back down.

One of the key promises was ANet’s assurance that grinding was a thing of the past (or at least unnecessary), yet we find ourselves grinding endlessly for items just to sell/salvage for crafting, karma for more items, or tokens for — wait for it — more items.

The Trading Post and economy are a mess due to early exploits and brute force assaults on the Mystic Forge. The desire to acquire precursors have caused a behavioral shift in players to acquire as much gold as possible, in hopes of attaining a Legendary item. This turns their focus from enjoyment to attainment.

Guilds are hoping from server to server causing population and competitive shifts in WvW, so they can play w/o queues or be on the dominating server. This loose 24hr restriction on server transfers is detrimental to the building of server pride on a basic level.

Dungeons are simply overly frustrating. I have cleared several dungeons and I understand what ANet was trying to do, but they executed it horribly. When players are actively avoiding certain paths, because they are too difficult, you have a design problem. When the rewards aren’t worth the effort it takes to clear dungeons, you have a design problem. You can try to explain it away as ignorance or laziness, but that is frankly a pathetic excuse for being unwilling to recognize that what you designed just isn’t working. It is not the player’s responsibility to understand how YOU want them to play. It is your responsibility to understand how the players DO/DON’T want to play.

But one thing in particular has stood out to me and in my opinion is a root cause of the problems many players are having — the acquisition of money. With all the problems with low selling items on the TP, inflated prices for precursors, and the excessive farming of high level areas like Cursed Shore and dragon battles, it occurred to me that the economic system is flawed in one single way — There isn’t enough money flowing into the economy, therefore nothing is flowing out of the economy.

It is obvious that in their quest to avoid the trappings of other MMOs, ANet designed a game where money is scarce. Unfortunately it is too scarce. Mobs do not drop very much and all the trash items we acquire are worth little to nothing to a vendor. If these items are worth so little, then why bother creating them in the first place. This wouldn’t be a problem, but when you combine this with the previous farming exploits, repair costs, and bots, you create a situation where in order to survive, a player has to spend more time grinding, and less time playing.

If players don’t have money, they don’t spend money. And if players don’t spend money, those that have the most control the flow of the economy. This is why we are where we are today with precurosrs inflating to prices unaffordable and countless groups of Lv. 80 players sitting around waiting for dragon battles and Dynamic Events in Cursed Shore. This is not challenging, nor is it fun. It is an exercise in futility for the player.

The fact that GW2 has no subscription cost is it’s only redeeming factor when so many things are turning me off. It is the primary reason why this doesn’t upset me as much as other MMOs have, because there is no continuing monetary investment. But even after paying $60, I feel my time could be better spent playing something else.

(edited by Geekcheck.3407)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Seems like a fare price to me for the current content. To ask more seems a bit outrages do you think one game should some how take the places of every other game that it out there. Look at it this way WoW did not kill all other types of gaming why would GW2 be the end all be all game for here on out?

Simply put you ask for Gold at the price of Soil.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Enthusiast.3057

Enthusiast.3057

I paid for the Deluxe version which was £65 or $100 because NCSoft or whoever make up their own exchange rates. I keep playing to justify my expense, but only for short periods because I become frustrated and bored.

I’m fed up of being hindered by bugs, paying ridiculous sums to map travel and killing the same monsters repeatedly. The whole experience is very repetitive, the quality of graphics is actually less than 7.5 years-old Guild Wars and it bears no resemblance whatsoever to its fine predecessor. I feel defrauded by the title of the game.

Posted by: poe lyfe.5879

poe lyfe.5879

all games should be this quality for this price.

Wintersday is for the Charr, also Meatober.

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

I was pleasantly surprised and was not a fanboi from the beginning but I will give anything a shot that gives the shaft to gear loot progression. Now I find myself defending the game from Panda lovers. Those people have a mental illness.

Posted by: Veni Vidi Vici.9435

Veni Vidi Vici.9435

“quality of graphics is actually less than 7.5 years-old Guild Wars and it bears no resemblance whatsoever to its fine predecessor.”

Your PC is trash or you’re lying.

I’m playing this on an overclocked i7 + GTX670. This game is one of the most graphically articulate MMO’s i’ve played since WoW’s release.

@OP: Yes the game was well worth the $60, i’m taking my time with it and enjoying it.. it has soo much potential and possiblities the ball is pretty much in anets hands..can’t wait to leave work and play.

Posted by: Zuggy.4501

Zuggy.4501

I’m at $0.18 an hour and still immensely enjoying the game, so I would say I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth out of it.

Posted by: fathamburger.8453

fathamburger.8453

Despite the issues with endgame (which I’ll be making a longer separate post), YES. A friend deliberately waited a month to join me here to get my "longer term " impressions and before I ran into endgame issues more directly I told him, yes – the issues are relatively minor and they still are (to fix).

Basically.. I’m another “300 hours in”, and the content is good enough to be exceed or at least be compared to other single player 100 hr+ RPG’s and in this respect GW2 is more than worth the money even if you don’t do the dungeon grind of PVP. Currently on a third character whenever I’m not “endgaming” to do the Order of Whispers track and after I’m done with that one, then I can really say I’ve finished the game.

Basically.. I’m another “300 hours in”, and the content is good enough to be exceed or at least be compared to other single player 100 hr+ RPG’s and in this respect GW2 is more than worth the money even if you don’t do the dungeon grind of PVP. Currently on a third character whenever I’m not “endgaming” to do the Order of Whispers track and after I’m done with that one, then I can really say I’ve finished the game.You are not paying a subscription so even if you feel there is no draw right now you can always keep coming back when there are content expansions, that’s what I ended up doing with GW1 and despite my issues with that game leading to my quitting early cough cough UAX, I ultimately did feel I got my money’s worth for that one too

Woman Scorned – 80 Sylvari Elementalist
OMG U Noobs – 80 Norn Guardian
Jade Quarry server

Posted by: Fiesbert.9816

Fiesbert.9816

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone for all the nice comments about Gw2 in this thread. We’re thrilled to see such an overwhelming majority of you feel like you got more than your moneys worth out of Gw2!

And while that is all well and good, we’d like to think we can give you even more for that initial $60 investment. The Shadow of the Mad King release on 10/22 is just the start of what will be a series of high quality regular releases expanding on all parts of the Gw2 world, from special events and holidays, to new content and features.

Our hope is by the end of the year, you look back on those $60 and feel like you not only got a great game, you also got a massive amount of live additions as part of that one-time purchase.

We’d love to have you all come back to this thread on January 1st 2013 and let us know how we’re doing

Thanks again everyone, and see you in game!

After the downfall of Bioware and Blizzard, ArenaNet is one of the few quality studios left.
You are on par with Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham City), CD Project Red (Witcher), Firaxis (Civilization) and DICE (Battlefield).
I salute you for being developers and artists!

Necro autoattack/minion DPS http://tinyurl.com/8wd6lv6
DS battle tank http://tinyurl.com/8dv5q9p

Posted by: issacTheMarker.8530

issacTheMarker.8530

lvs1- 80 yes. 80+ time NO

Posted by: ApeBit.4205

ApeBit.4205

Well seeing that I only had to pay 43€ for this it has definitely been worht every single cent. Even 60€ woulda been worth it. Anyway with a world as vast and beautiful as Tyria with so much to offer with no subscription fee it’s really hard NOT to get your moneys worth out of the game. I love the game to death. I must’ve spent nearly 200hours on it already and can’t wait for more content even though I’m still not at my goal of 100% world completion and full set of exotic end-game gear. Of course the game has it’s problems but the good things WAAAAY out weigh the bad ones. So in short: a definite and absolut YES!

“When life gives you lemonade, make lemons and life will be all like WHAAAT?!”

Posted by: poiuy.3907

poiuy.3907

Yes the game is a good buy. Even with no end game and no real replay value, at $60 for one month of game play this is fine as it works out to $2 per day or the cost of a Capuchino.

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Absolutely. first game I’ve been willing to make alts.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Drixx.3918

Drixx.3918

I paid $80 for the Digital Deluxe, and no, it has not been worth even a fraction of that cost yet. I’ve made it to level 5. The first skill point challenge I came to has been perma-broken going back into the beta by all reports, and despite the claim on October 4th that it would be fixed in the “next” update, the patch on October 11th didn’t fix the problem.

When your game is designed to guide people through the game via map completion, and in the newbie zone you have game breaking bugs that take months to fix, that turns me off from the game.

Posted by: Drixx.3918

Drixx.3918

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone for all the nice comments about Gw2 in this thread. We’re thrilled to see such an overwhelming majority of you feel like you got more than your moneys worth out of Gw2!

And while that is all well and good, we’d like to think we can give you even more for that initial $60 investment. The Shadow of the Mad King release on 10/22 is just the start of what will be a series of high quality regular releases expanding on all parts of the Gw2 world, from special events and holidays, to new content and features.

Our hope is by the end of the year, you look back on those $60 and feel like you not only got a great game, you also got a massive amount of live additions as part of that one-time purchase.

We’d love to have you all come back to this thread on January 1st 2013 and let us know how we’re doing

Thanks again everyone, and see you in game!

I hope that on January 1st, 2013 you will have gotten your game fixed and working properly so I can come back to this thread and give you positive feedback. Right now I just feel like I got suckered out of $80 for a buggy game which was not ready for prime time.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

A big yes.

There is one big dissapointment however that could have been much more epic, well it would be good if it was even remotely epic to start with… The Zhaitan fight, it must have been the biggest drag yet imo in any mmo. Was looking forward to it but it turned out to be so cheesy and boring.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

GW2 has been the best $60 i’ve ever spent on an mmo, i have no regrets getting it at all

i can safely say that GW2 is one of the best mmos i’ve ever played

it has a few bugs and glitches, but the game is still extremely new, and the things anet implemented in their game hasn’t exactly been something that’s been perfected in other mmos

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

Oh very much yes. But then again I haven’t spend $60 on the game, I’ve spent $190 including CE and $40 in gems over the last 2.5 months and I ‘still’ consider it well worth the money I’ve put in, especially considering I’d have spent more by now if it were a P2P + Microtransactions game like so many others are these days. Even WoW you could easily consider to be both.

I’m a fairly casual gamer, but I still find myself logging in and having fun. I probably put in an hour or two every few days, not a lot by any means but with the glut of amazing games we’ve had this fall, Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, FTL, Dishonored, XCOM: EU and of course GW2, thats all I can spare! Though granted I haven’t bought all of the above yet (my wife would kill me!) but I plan to soon hehe.

I also have yet to hit 80. I’m a slow leveler, I like to do a wide variety of activities in MMOGs, and can go days between level ups (though faster in GW2 because ‘everything’ gives you XP!), but I’m still having a ball. I understand at 80 it becomes a game about grinding, but I suspect thats only really for those that want the best stuff the game has to offer. The coolest, most hard to get armors, a legendary weapon, etc. I’ll likely never go after some of that stuff.

For me level cap will mean WvW with my guildies, doing an explorable mode now and then with friends just for the challenge (I have yet to do any dungeons actually and my main is lvl 42.) That and by the time I get to 80 I’m sure there will be plenty of stuff to do thanks to content patches, even doing zones I haven’t touched hehe. Heck even the zones I have done, I’m sure I missed stuff. Sometimes I find really cool little nooks that are hidden on the map and I’m sure I’ve missed some. I’ve also only found a handful of jumping puzzles and none of the real big ones so I’ll be trying to find them as well.

Can I just add that I am so happy this game has a variety of zones at different level ranges. I am an explorer and altoholic at heart so I really.. really hate MMOGs with only one zone per lvl range (per faction usually). Add to that the static nature of other MMOG advancement and anyone can understand why no MMOG since TBC WoW had held my interest for more than a month, two at ‘best’. The last big one to come out, you know the one with lightsabers, the static and enclosed nature of that game, with one zone per level range and static zones at that.. barely lasted me the 13 days of pre-launch. I’ve always thought it was my problem that I hopped MMOGs so frequently. GW2 thankfully has solved that problem.

GW2.. beyond worth that initial investment.

(edited by Xaielao.8510)

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I passed the $60 value mark after the first month, everything now is Orrian gravy.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Copenhagen.7015

Copenhagen.7015

Yes it has been worth it. I have 3 level 80s at about 500 hours played. I just started working again 40 hours a week so I wont have much time to play. If I didn’t start work i’d probably be bored in the coming weeks. The problem I have with Orr is the temple karma rewards have horrible stats and aren’t really worth going for. WvW is great but I’ve been taking a break from that to get my exploration finished. The leveling in this game is fantastic, but max level events need some work. I’d really like to see something like a 10 man dungeon/raid. There needs to be something that encourages guilds to work together in PvE, just like there is in PvP with WvW.

P.S. people that say the graphics aren’t good are kidding themselves.

Posted by: darkehawke.1269

darkehawke.1269

was a yes, but with devs nerfing my class of choice constantly thanks to brainless bad pvpers it’s currently a no.

i had better hopes that the devs wouldnt be the type to wield the nerf hammer, but sadly this is not the case

Posted by: Pneumothorax.2964

Pneumothorax.2964

YES! Really enjoying it all at the moment.

Posted by: Guppy.2753

Guppy.2753

Yes.

So far, my $60 comes out to about 30 cents an hour for the entertainment, not counting the hours outside the game spent on guild activity, netsurfing for GW2 tips, podcasts and videocasts.

And the Halloween events are coming.

Posted by: Liac.8219

Liac.8219

Collectors edition somewhat dented. i would buy more gems at a retailer, hint hint. My Sylvarie ranger girl is so beautiful, and with her rare weapons and wonderful pets .. well she carries me through the game with much class. i have played me some games. well worth it. fan boy here.

Posted by: Skaldir.5319

Skaldir.5319

Yes, it’s been worth my 60€. Compare this to some solo games which can be completed in 6hours with the same price, it’s pretty much worth it.
The game has a lot of flaws, be it bugs, balance etc; but on the overall i enjoyed my time spent on it.

But i have to admit that after over 600hours of total game, i am bored. Most of the people i’ve started to play with have stopped playing weeks ago, and aside from a bit of wvw, i just stay in Lion’s Arch and alt-tab to do something else.

I hope there will be new content, but the kind that will not arrive before the next big update/expansion. I don’t like seasonal events like halloween, but will see what it’s gonna be, might be surprised.

Posted by: flyinpoons.6481

flyinpoons.6481

The game is worth every penny I spent on it. I got it as a gift, so take that however you want.

Posted by: shingui.4197

shingui.4197

I’m rather ashamed to say, i haven’t been playing GW2 in the past few days. not because I’m bored, or that i have nothing to do, I just have other things to do(Dishonoured, the Total war mega-pack i got on sale on steam, as examples), and now that i’ve started my second year at uni, my free time has been severed completely. (Yet saying this, i’ll be back when the halloween updates go live, they look amazing, and i can’t wait to see the mad king)

So i don’t have time at all to play GW2 at the moment, but the time i’ve spent in game so far, that time being around 200 hours or something ridiculous, has been easily worth every penny of my purchase, why, it’s been so fun, i bought a copy for my brother so we could play together, and he’s now got 200 hours + on the game as well.

This is easily the best MMO i have played to-date, and i can’t wait to jump back into the game, when my schedule calms down a bit.

Cheers Anet, keep up the work for Halloween!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yep, haven’t put in as much time as most, I’m a really casual player, and it’s still been worth my money.

Posted by: Methesda.5198

Methesda.5198

Love this game to bits. The game fits my lifestyle, and I am absolutely blown away by the idea that I can log in for 15 mintues, or 4 hours, and have a good time either way.

In terms of feel, my Warrior is the best warrior archetype I’ve ever played. In a game that professes to play without the holy Trinity, I’m so happy that I’ve finally found what I can say is the best feeling ‘Tank’ i’ve ever come across. I feel like the Hulk with a sword and board.

Very well worth it.

Well done Anet.