Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Laeris.9137

Laeris.9137

Definitely not. Most games allow you to play the Beta for free to see if it’s something you’d like to invest your money in. This game forced us to pay $60 up front to play their beta, and I knew after a couple hours of playtime that I wouldn’t return to play the released version. $60 wasted, in my opinion.

Posted by: YSBT.7843

YSBT.7843

450 hours of play across six characters. 100 additional hours in beta. No question it was worth it.

Co-Leader of the Charter Vanguard Guild on Henge of Denravi.
Recruitment Status: Closed.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

It officially has now because last weekend I hit the 1$/1h ratio that I set myself to measure a worthy game and I’m still level 48.

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

every penny
every penny
every penny

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

350+ hours for $60, compared to 10 ~ 30 hours of every other single player game.
Yes it has been worth it.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Yes. MMOs in general are among the best value for money of all types of games.

Compared to other MMOs, GW2 has been the best value for money.

The only game that compares in value for money terms is LoL.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

Very much yes indeed.

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

$60? 300hrs played. Yes, but there’s no way I would pay a sub unless they fixed the FoV.

(edited by Shayde.2564)

Posted by: Arazel.4185

Arazel.4185

Definitely worth it

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

Nope, because apparently I am not allowed to have an opinion that differs from A.Net’s.

Posted by: TheEhn.5920

TheEhn.5920

as i have put +200 hours into the game id say yeah its way worth the money, just havent been playing that much lately due to the fact i dont fancy doing dungeons as an end game anymore. Think its boring, i did it for 3 years back in wow before i quit a year ago. I just need something more to do than running dungeons to get the shiny gear, and what do you when you get that gear? sit around? I have a few alts highest at 40 but i just dont play that much nowdays :s wish there was something cool to do, i love the game

Phenom 955 @ 3,7 | 6950 @ 890 / 1270 |
Kingston HyperX Black limited 8Gb |
Sabertooth 990FX | Nexus RX-1K | Samsung F3 1Tb | Antec DF-85 |

Posted by: Strejda Tom.6108

Strejda Tom.6108

Yes, it has definitely worth it. I’ve played since 1st beta and I am sure that I will play for long time.)

Strejda Tom, the last unicorn.
Always remember one thing – your opinion is your opinion not fact.

Posted by: Ming.8495

Ming.8495

I don’t see how people can go wrong. Getting 1 character to 80 is easily worth the box price. The cool part is, if you get bored you can put it down without feeling pressured to get your money’s worth.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

If this game had been done by a different company, I’m sure you would have to pay at least another 15 bucks for monthly subscription, after you had bought the game. So we are all bloody lucky it’s Anet decision to not go this way. So this thread is silly actually by miles far.

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Ambrosiaa.6054

Ambrosiaa.6054

Definitely worth $60. But most definitely NOT worth a subscription fee as you will run out of things to do after 300-400hrs.

Posted by: Ghita Blackwolf.3147

Ghita Blackwolf.3147

Yes it has. And I spent even more by buying a few character slots and bank tabs.

There are still some kinks that need to be ironed out, but on the whole? It is an awesome game with a huge area to explore. And it is the first game where I level more or less by accident. I just do stuff in game and suddenly I’ve made another level.

And while I thought I’d hate the downleveling… it’s actually one of my favourite features now. One of my pet-peeves has always been outleveling content and thus making it not fun (to me) to play. The way GW2 solves that problem works very well for me.

A lot of those annoying little things in other games have nice alternate design solutions in GW2. I’m really very happy how the game has turned out.

Also WvW is even more fun than I had hoped. (Especially since I’m playing on the Tarnished Coast server)

Cixi Blackwolf
Officer of Shadow Company (SC)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: vitigis.4160

vitigis.4160

Was the game worth $60? Absolutely. Very fun, even if it has a on of bugs and balance issues. Were the Gems I’ve purchased worth the money? Kitten no!

Q-everyone has it better than me-Q

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

it was worth that + the extra 30 bucks I slammed down for additional character slots + the extra 20 bucks I laid out for gems (need my transmutation stones!).

Posted by: ciannait.1945

ciannait.1945

Completely. I have a whole stable of alts. I’m enjoying going through all of the racial content, seeing all of the maps, doing all of the DEs and heart quests. I haven’t touched WvW yet and I’m already in love with this game.

Posted by: RenRen.5706

RenRen.5706

Completely and more.

Posted by: GreyFeathers.8175

GreyFeathers.8175

Yes.. the game is a breath of fresh air from other games I’ve played. I can finally immerse myself into my character, explore, fight and also mingle with others. I honestly hated MMO’s with a passion but I’m loving this game. I’m looking forward to expansions in the future but quite honetsly I’m still exploring everything as it is right now and I’m not even close to being done.

Yes.. the game is a breath of fresh air from other games I’ve played. I can finally immerse myself into my character, explore, fight and also mingle with others. I honestly hated MMO’s with a passion but I’m loving this game. I’m looking forward to expansions in the future but quite honetsly I’m still exploring everything as it is right now and I’m not even close to being done.<<<< played the betas and since release

Yes.. the game is a breath of fresh air from other games I’ve played. I can finally immerse myself into my character, explore, fight and also mingle with others. I honestly hated MMO’s with a passion but I’m loving this game. I’m looking forward to expansions in the future but quite honetsly I’m still exploring everything as it is right now and I’m not even close to being done.<<<< played the betas and since releaseHell yeah it was worth every penny and I can see years of enjoyment from this game not just a few months. This game has some staying power to it !

Honor is limited only by the limitations that we place upon ourselves.

Posted by: Wildman.9641

Wildman.9641

$60 isn’t much so yeah it was worth it for a few months of play.

If there was a sub then No it wouldn’t be worth playing. Best free to play game out there right now.

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

i spent money on the deluxe digital version, and so far my money has been well worth it.

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

I’m up to about $100. I’ve purchased 3 additional character slots, and an extra bank slot. Well worth the money if you ask me.

I just hit level 80 on my first character, and only at 40% world completion. It’s going to take me at least a year to max all of my characters out, and there should be plenty of new content available by then.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

The amount of content I am getting for $80 is just staggering. Although I think GW2 is a little light on the lore side(want more to read!), I am not regretting having paid what I did.
The game still has issues that can’t be left unchecked(DEs breaking), but honestly, I feel like I can cut ANet a bit of slack there. Not too much, but enough to not go on an over the top whin-a-thon on their forums about how X completely breaks everything.

Posted by: EXAR.7963

EXAR.7963

Definitely, but to be honest it hasn’t been worth much more than 60$ up to this point.

That could very easily change if end-game content is added however.

Posted by: Mazrem.3291

Mazrem.3291

Has it been worth it? I suppose so, I’ve been playing it since launch. Could it have been better? Absolutely.

To be honest, I haven’t seen a more buggy release of an mmo for a very long time out of the games I’ve chosen to pick up over the past 10 years. It’s going to take a long time to hammer out all the things that are flat out broken and not working as intended, from dead skill challeneges, broken skills, graphics glitches that crash the game constantly, so on so forth we’ve heard this song and dance since the beginning. To this end, it hasn’t been as fun as it could have been, and I often find myself stopping for the night more out of frustration than out of simply deciding to stop.

Really, I suppose it comes down to this though… it’s free to play after the $60 investment, the bugs WILL eventually be ironed out, and they will be adding more content as the next year goes by. So yes, in the long run, I can see this having some staying power.

Posted by: Mrflushy.8342

Mrflushy.8342

After the $60 upfront investment for the game. I’m finding the game is worth the price cause there is no subscriptions. You can play all you want or take a break from the game.

While there is still a few bugs that needs to be worked out yet. I find the games price to enjoyment a nice ratio. If you take your time and enjoy the game you will like it even more. I’m for one not in the rush to hit lvl 80.

Posted by: Quietwulf.1603

Quietwulf.1603

Easily. Hell, it’s been worth that and the cash I spent on gems post launch.
I’ve had a great time with the game and am really looking forward to the future.

Posted by: Enikuo.9205

Enikuo.9205

The game has definitely been worth my money. The world feels alive. The artistry is incredible – I feel like I’m playing in a beautiful painting. And, I really enjoy the design choices they made that make group play less painful and more fun (individual loot/nodes, auto-grouping, no trinity, etc). All in all, I feel that they delivered.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

despite its flaws, it’s been worth the money.

We’re gonna need a Server wide dungeon finder/LFG system soon, though. Sick of sitting in LA. That’s my only gripe.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Definitely, but to be honest it hasn’t been worth much more than 60$ up to this point.

That could very easily change if end-game content is added however.

Thats a funny statement, because the total mandatory buy in cost is $60… and yet you feel it is worth more, and still want even more further because its only worth more then $60? Its an ironic statment.

What do you consider end game content?

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Oh yes.
put many many hours in and will put many many more.
it will also be a lot better when anet irons out the event bugs tbh.

Posted by: dugore.2195

dugore.2195

I have played many hours and have one 80 and working on his exotics. plan to buy some gems and other items. worth $60? that is a yes

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

It’s been long enough for me to warrant paying €40 for it. I’ve been playing it for several weeks but I do feel the drag coming along now. There’s no real further objective for me. RP or farm Legendaries or do WvW or do sPvP, that’s it. With WvW and sPvP there is no sense of real progression anymore which is kind of counterintuitive for me when I’m playing MMO’s. Yet farming mats for a legendary is such a chore, as is farming plain cash.

So now I usually just wander around the eternal battlegrounds mystic puzzle and try to kill random people.

So it was worth the €40 bucks, but the game in its current state lacks a bit imho. I hope things will freshen up with the halloween update.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Yes it is. It also made me gain a little fat.)

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

Barely, the world is too small, too much bots,economy is terrible, too much bugs, not much to do for pve. Oh and the social aspect of this game is almost non existent.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Yes, heck yes.

However, a part of me really wishes this was a sub game. At least that way it would provide a monetary reason to fix things. Paying customers upset? Better fix it or revenue is lost. F2P like GW2? Ah, let’s just let is slide…that would cost money to fix so don’t bother. Please buy gems tho!

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Absolutely!
Best $60 for a game I ever spent.

Hit 80 4 weeks ago, still haven’t run out of things to do, make new friends and see new content everyday.

Posted by: Vim.7318

Vim.7318

Like all MMOs, GW2 will be a vastly superior product in 1, 2 or 3 years time. There will also be more content and more features built in, eventually it is going to a fantastic game, I just feel MMOs at launch are not in a finished state and the last few AAA MMO titles released have been lacking in terms of what you are meant to be doing once you finish the character level cycle.

Posted by: maina.5389

maina.5389

Yes. Why would i care what the rest of you think?

Seriously? why?

Maybe if some of you experts that spent money on this game could design a game, and support it, I’d think more of your posts…..

Still just reading lame players who can’t do anything to change the games I play, while pretending to be the “voice” of games…

Don’t write a wall of text till you can produce, you look funny….

Posted by: Nyme.1203

Nyme.1203

Umm…
No, it wasn’t worth my money.

Now let me elaborate on this, i was sucked in to this game by my friends buying it, i had 0 experience from GW1 since i never even tested it so i wasn’t sure what to expect, but what i found was something that differed from all of the mmo’s out there, and to be fair i left the game a few days after reaching 80, since GW2 just doesn’t offer anything to me as a gamer.

I can see how so many people like this game, for me the game has 0 content availability.
Sure, i had a great time leveling from 1 to about 60 after which the grind and repetiviness of the quests got to me and i had to slow down.

After reaching lvl80 what did i found was the content to do? Explore? Sorry, just isn’t to my tastes.
Zerg in WvWvW? I dont find this PvP since it takes 0 skill to compete here, the biggest zerg available on the map will always prevail and i dont find playing this sort of gamemode fun.

Rewardless SPvP? Sure, this could seem fun, but i never got into it because of the boring lackluster gamemode and the only thing changing being the pathing and graphics of the three different maps, it can be fun for a while but it gets annoyingly boring really fast.

Doing Events/PVE, Whats the point? theres no real challenge to be found here, its just pointless farming for tokens for gear that will not affect anything.

Now we come to making alts, this is the last possible point of content, but the thing is i’m a perfectionist kind of player, i like to get every single piece of gear with even a tad bit better stats than the last for my one character, i dont play alts, and this game as it stands just doesn’t offer me the gameplay style i want.

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

Yes. it has. It has a beautiful world and many hours of game play to achieve.
But not much more than that. It’s become tedious and the only reason I am still playing it is my “gamer heart”. And it’s beautifully designed world.
Repetition, lack of personal immersion and choices during PVE are just so overwhelming that to me, they are game brakers. And this is the reason I don’t see myself playing for a long time, like I did with other MMOs.
While on the topic of money: I would gladly pay 15 Eur / month if that would mean more choices or options, gear, some proper RP elements and some other things.
I will definitely not put even one single Eur into cash shop, if GW2’s economy stays in this absurd state that it is right now. It feels like ANet’s decisions are more and more in nature of “milking” the money from players than stabilising their market economy.

Posted by: Suneku.6410

Suneku.6410

Worth my every penny.
Guild wars 2 had change the way to play MMORPG.

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

YES it was worth the $60! I’m a level 15 Human Thief and I just 100% Queensdale, including the hidden cave ;-)

UPDATE: Still worth the money. Still love the game. Level 21, 29 hours, 100 deaths.

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

Definitely, yes! SO worth it x)
It´s the very first game that intrigues me to go on and play one particular char®. My beloved guardian of Doomhammer
In any other game I´d probably be playing some alts by now…
And IF I am ever to make another character its going to be a guardian again xD

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Having clocked around 4500 hours over 4 years in a certain other brand MMO (name withheld for diplomatic reasons), at a combined cost of about 740 euro comes down to 6 hours of play per euro.

Almost 250 hours of GW2 over about 60 days, that’s about 4 hours of play per euro.

Compared to other “B2P” games, e.g. 120 hours on Skyrim and considering the lack of a sub means the GW2’s value will keep growing every hour I’m playing (and as it is, it looks like that will continue on for a long while) I’d have to say…

“HELL, YES!” =D

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

Oh yes, it has! Guild Wars 2 is the best game, I’ve ever played. But I’ve played not much though.

Guild Wars 2 (as well as Origin Guild Wars), is beautiful, kind, touching game, with amassing history, I love GW history! Even now, I’m reading GW1 wikipedia, and GW2 wikipedia as well. For me it’s like reading an interesting fantasy book.
And how much work has done, I can’t even imaging.

So much love developers put in this game, so much love! And I’m grateful them for that. They have created a truly amassing, a truly touching, interesting, and so kind game. And I’m not talking only about GW2, I’m talking about GW1 as well.

But the most impotent part, for what I’m grateful to you Arena, is the fact, that this game is tolerate for casual players.

Many other, classic mmorpg isn’t as tolerated, where you have to spend a lot of time to get stuff you need for playing. But not GW1 and GW2.

I thank you for that. And I wish you good luck in your creative plans. =)

Seize the day.

Posted by: Tyr.1965

Tyr.1965

I just purchased the game yesterday after watching Angry Joe’s review of the game on Youtube and I must say, it’s worth every penny and then some. ArenaNet took everything I secretly hated about MMO’s and made it right and fun.

Other companies cajole their player base into staying subscribed to over-hyped, lifeless worlds with outdated engines and mechanics, forever chasing the proverbial carrot on the stick in hopes of “getting your money’s worth.” But that never happens because you keep paying to play a game you already bought once.

Guild Wars 2 does away with all that noisy jazz and focuses on delivering the epic gaming experience and box price of a single player RPG, with all the social elements and endless content of a MMO. Its truly the best of both worlds with none of the negative elements of either.

I will say that there is room for improvement. MMO’s are continuously updated and improved upon, but Guild Wars 2 is going to deliver that same cadence of quality content without charging you the subscription fee along the way. For years now, I’ve been waiting for a game to come along and truly redefine and revolutionize the MMO genre and its finally here: Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Anatarin.7018

Anatarin.7018

Sadly No – I had hoped for much more – The questing and levelling are poorly matched, character development is weak and the weapon driven abilities become boring,, voice acting is awful, the graphics are sugar spun, and most group events are zerg fests that prove that the trinity actually works best. If this is the new answer for MMO’s I wonder what the question was.