Has Guild Wars 2 been worth your $60.00?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Paid $50 for my copy, and I think it was.

But it’s not going to have much replay value because there not a single kitten person anywhere on the maps anymore.

Once I’m done with the personal story it’ll be shelved. The “MMO” descriptor is a blatant lie in my case.

User will be infracted for this post.

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

Yes, Think i clocked 200 ish aswell now.
Most games have a replay value of 30 – 40 hours.

Besides that you can expect content updates, quite literally next week + the event.

Fingers twitched that the updates wont be that fast. Hardly have time now. =[

Posted by: BrutikusIV.1827

BrutikusIV.1827

I paid $80! And YES. Great game. Superb release. Very few bugs. One of the best releases I’ve played and I"ve played most mmo releases in the last 14 years. I think of the hundreds and hundreds of events I’ve been thru and only a few were bugged / broken is astonishing ( many of these has since been fixed even ! ) So worth every dime and more IMHO. I’ve played hundreds of hours and have only scratched the surface when you include all the alts I have and yes alts are fun! The learning curve around gameplay and how diferent weapons change each classes playstyle is awesome but can be slightly confusing at first to understand just how much they alter gameplay feel for certain classes. Overall a very impressive game.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yes and no…

There are times when I just want to quit for good and leave and never come back, why? This God kitten kittening community! No one wants to help you in the high level maps when you are stuck between two overlapping events (IE a veteran group and a champion) as a) no one is around (or there is only bots), b) only people there are those that already did the map and are only waiting for dungeons, or c) people think its a solo only game and they think you are too weak or stupid to play the game “the right way/their way”.

I keep getting people say I’m just a whiner that can’t fight things off themselves that is playing my class wrong. So what if I’m am and not playing to their standards? I bought this game to not be like I was in GW 1 all alone (despite being in a guild) playing with only heroes and henchman…

Gw 2 doesn’t have heroes and henchmen, maybe for devil’s advocate’s sake, we should have npcs to follow us around so we don’t fail against events CLEARLY MADE FOR kitten PARTIES!!

Another thing, all the events that do have failure clauses, always end up being failures as no one is on the kittening map to help you do them!

All things considered, I expected to be with my old friends tackling maps one by one in 5-man team taking on all challenge together having a good time and sharing our stories and experiences and going back to old maps to help others and build our community. It may be my idealist inside coming out, but isn’t that what Anet wanted?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Shooopa.5632

Yes and no…

There are times when I just want to quit for good and leave and never come back, why? This God kitten kittening community! No one wants to help you in the high level maps when you are stuck between two overlapping events (IE a veteran group and a champion) as a) no one is around (or there is only bots), b) only people there are those that already did the map and are only waiting for dungeons, or c) people think its a solo only game and they think you are too weak or stupid to play the game “the right way/their way”.

What server are you on?

Because I have the exact same problem on Henge of Dervani. Only minus parts A and C because there’s no one around period.

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

Yes.

Rather it is worth anything more than that I am not sure yet.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

@ Shoopa

Why, I’m on Sea of Sorrows. Only people that are on this server are in Lions Arch and in lv 1-15 maps. I want to be able to get parties together and do every map as a community. The same sentiment is heard from others in many 15, 25 and 40 maps. Once you reach lv 50 and higher maps, no one is around except for the usual lfg for the local dungeon spam. My own guild tells me to do it alone (and change my play style/build) as they believe its a solo game as well. If its that easy, why can’t I fac roll a Champion every time I see one?

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

Really fun game. I just wish they would give more updates. Other than that, I am happy for the most part. Considering I was paying to play a game a didn’t like to I am playing a game I like for free, I IS HAPPY.

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

Heck yes! I don’t buy games days into release as I take my time reading reviews and what not.

Anyways after months of reading it basically came down to Mass Effect 3 or Guild Wars 2. Am so glad I chose the latter.

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

Absolutely. It is the most fun per dollar spent that I have had in a very long time.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

Many times over. I thought I was done with MMOs for good, but this is going to be my home for a long while, assuming they keep the good thing they have going and don’t compromise their vision.

Posted by: Xenolith Dragon.8245

Xenolith Dragon.8245

Bought the CE for $150 ($161 after taxes) – definitely worth it. I continue to enjoy this game as much as I did when I played beta weekend #1. The bonuses that came with CE are nice, but the game itself has been worth the $150 to me so far, and it’s only been out for a little under two months. I also really enjoy Rytlock on my desk; he is very inspiring to look at, not to mention a great conversation piece when guests are over.

Posted by: lolnotacat.9814

lolnotacat.9814

Sadly No – I had hoped for much more – The questing and levelling are poorly matched, character development is weak and the weapon driven abilities become boring,, voice acting is awful, the graphics are sugar spun, and most group events are zerg fests that prove that the trinity actually works best. If this is the new answer for MMO’s I wonder what the question was.

I’ll just defer to this post.

Posted by: Eadgyt.5987

Eadgyt.5987

Oh god yes! Even bought gems to get more character slots and transmute stones, love it to bits !

:) /happy/

~ Stuff stuff STUFF! ~

Posted by: Greenbuddhas.4508

Greenbuddhas.4508

yes and no, i love the art style and the music, the story is decent and the pvp is interesting. But there’s things like not having cool looking enemies to fight and lame weapon skins.

Shooopa.5632

@ Shoopa

Why, I’m on Sea of Sorrows. Only people that are on this server are in Lions Arch and in lv 1-15 maps. I want to be able to get parties together and do every map as a community. The same sentiment is heard from others in many 15, 25 and 40 maps. Once you reach lv 50 and higher maps, no one is around except for the usual lfg for the local dungeon spam. My own guild tells me to do it alone (and change my play style/build) as they believe its a solo game as well. If its that easy, why can’t I fac roll a Champion every time I see one?

You’re in a guild that tells you to do everything by yourself?

Doesn’t that defeat the entire fraggin’ purpose of a guild?

Posted by: Blutkrieg.1320

Blutkrieg.1320

I’m also torn about this.

yes – It’s a breath of fresh air, it’s free to play and the community is awesome. Graphics aren’t too shabby as well, cities are beautiful, dungeons take skill and are fun etc…

and

No – DE don’t shape the world as advertized instead they respawn in x minutes, Constant Bugs, Features that should have been implemented in the first place aren’t, no incentive to roll alts other than farm more ori and wvwvw badges, most low level areas are empty, you need to grind\farm and anet said it wouldn’t be a game of farm or grind, DR on what we’re supposed to farm, I don’t feel rewarded at all for my spent time, other than farming orr and dungeons or playing the market there’s no way of making gold due to insane WP fees, TP taxes and low level loot. Magic Find is the worst thing of them all… should be removed in my opinion.

Officer [VILE] – Desolation

Posted by: theerrantventure.9185

theerrantventure.9185

Yes.

One way I see it is that I am okay with paying $15 to see a 2 hour movie. $60 of movies gets me 8 hours of entertainment. $60 of GuildWars 2 has provided me around 100 hours of play thus far and grows a couple hours each day. Money well spent.

I haven’t spent any money in the BLTC yet, but that’s like buying concessions at the movies, optional.

Trolls are like stray cats.
Feed them and they multiply.
Please do not feed them.

Posted by: Wyrdthane.6801

Wyrdthane.6801

Absolutely Yes. Best game evar.

Posted by: Bonfazironfoe.1054

Bonfazironfoe.1054

Absolutely. I’ve logged hundreds of hours in the game and with the Halloween event coming up I see no reason to stop. While I appreciate the HUGE amount of well made content that we get for 60 dollars (after most of the kinks were worked out) I feel like substantial PvE content not unlike a raiding system needs to be added. It would promote community and give players a sense of direction once they hit level 80 and complete Orr. PvP is exceptional but it’s not for everyone and those people need a unified clear direction for PvE outside of farming dungeons for gear.

Posted by: Blighton.6425

Blighton.6425

I would consider it worth it if i wasn’t nickel and dimed with the gem store with events and future updates ( to those who believe wont, just wait, majority of content on previous NCSoft games ( and NCSoft Owns Arenanet since 2002 no mater how much you deny it ) was minimal compared to Store Content

as far as comparison how much Free Content compared to Store Content came out for GW1 After the RMT store was pushed?

*Edit – heck even with event, the only free thing is the horn hat , everything else is black lion chest that you need gems to unlock or flat out gem store items, even the special events will give chests as rewards

(edited by Blighton.6425)

Posted by: Naii.9810

Naii.9810

I wish I just bought the standard version instead of the deluxe.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

The game is worth it if you are a casual player, I’m not, so you can guess what my answer is.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I got the collector’s edition and I have to say yes.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Thunde.4326

Thunde.4326

no, I dont like to run and run and run forever.

Posted by: obiemvy.5632

obiemvy.5632

Yes, GW2 has been worth all $200 that I have spent so far, and I intend to spend more in the future to continue to support ANet :-D
(CE + tax/shipping $170, and $30 in gems, if anyone was wondering)
I actually probably will spend $20 more for gems for Halloween :-D

Posted by: GustavoM.7605

GustavoM.7605

After playing for more than 3 months, I’d say “maybe”, or should I say: “If I was a casual player.”
The current meta for PvP Is absolutely horrible with 0 strategy and tactics whatsoever. It’s like I’m playing a insta-gibbing FPS with RPG elements. Sure, tPvP softens this up a bit… but It’s still there. Wich Is dissapointing, with all the “When It’s ready” chit-chat.
At least WvW and PvE are there to give me a few grins here and there.

Posted by: MileHigh Hitman.3854

MileHigh Hitman.3854

Well, well, well worth it

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

I played way more than I should have… best investment in a very, very long time. I’m not hardcore, but I’m not casual either. Still plenty to do, working on 2nd profession at the moment.

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

no, I dont like to run and run and run forever.

Says he in a game with an instant teleport almost everywhere.

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

Definitely have to say that this game has paid for itself twice over with the hrs I’ve now played although I am thinking of leaving for awhile until ANet get there act together on the botting issue,it’s just getting worse and really starting to spoil the game and the game economy.But I have definitely got my moneys worth.

(edited by Bhuta.1480)

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Worth infinitely more than the $60 I payed for D3 >.>

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

Only level 3 but so far, loving it.

Overpaid, Underplayed

Posted by: aedra.8361

aedra.8361

Yes. I was incredibly skeptical at first. I hadn’t really followed the game till about 6 months before release, it looked mildly interesting to me and I’ve been really burnt out with MMOs in general. I find myself approaching this game far more casually then any MMO I’ve played and I feel its a good thing. I can’t pinpoint why, I feel no huge compulsion to play but when I do I have plenty of fun with my partner. The lack of pressure to log in to get my money’s worth makes me actually enjoy the game alot more. I’m not sure whether it’ll be a really long term thing but I have no regrets!

Posted by: MasterfulWizard.3567

MasterfulWizard.3567

If they fix the bugs that hinder my ability to enjoy the game it would be worth it.

I chose the necromancer as my main class and it kinda sucks because it’s so buggy.. especially the minions…

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

Yes, up to this point anyway. But the bots I have been seeing regularly are reminding me of FFXI, and I left that game solely due to gold farmers and bots.

I really don’t like this type of deja vu.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Still not optimized, still 10 FPS in WvW / large events.

Worth 60 ? Lolno. I got more enjoyment out of modern trollfare 3, at least I could play to the end of the game for 60 bucks then experience online gameplay with perfect FPS.

Never bought such a useless game for 60 dollars, I mean it’s nigh unplayable in some area’s unless I’m willing to spend 3k dollars on a PC. I run an intel 4core with a 650 TI btw.

Disappointment is an understatement, I am raged at ANet. The amount of love I had in GW1 and the amount of hate I have now is just…. sad.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Mastermind.3169

Mastermind.3169

The amount of free time wasted because of bugs, which is way more than the amount of time of actual play for fun, would probably end up in the negative alot. And that my char doesn’t get completes for dungeons like the other guys it is running with, which makes it impossible to be allowed to play explorables… Best not to think about it and only play chars below level 30 or something.

Posted by: GuineaGuy.2031

GuineaGuy.2031

I love MMO’s and this is no exception! In fact i could easily say that this is the best one i ever played! So YES!

Posted by: Sparty.5934

Sparty.5934

Yes. I think the people complaining about the game need some patience. No game that I have played has been perfect at launch. Even WOW had bugs and other problems at launch and did balancing (nerfing) after the game was out for a long time. I have been gaming for six years now and I have tried numerous games and this has to be the most polished at launch that I have tried. Overall – bravo!

Posted by: Delnee.3827

Delnee.3827

Easily.

The thought that has gone into this game amazes me.

Posted by: Faul.8109

Faul.8109

Yep totally amazing. I really think this will sum up the general thinking: the game is very well designed and flawless, if you find it otherwise it’s your problem only. Please keep that in mind when buying another game from this software developer.

Posted by: Enthusiast.3057

Enthusiast.3057

People keep citing the number of hours played per $ or £ as a basis for determining value for money. Is everybody actually enjoying every minute of it?

For me, I’m grinding the map: vistas, waypoints, POIs etc. which are all the same in each map. Even the story missions are the same as each other: “go there, kill those, then go here, kill these. Now here’s a reward.” It’s a very time consuming way to do a mere half a dozen things.

As mentioned by others, I’m also patiently awaiting the optimizations. With an i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz, 16gb 1333MHz RAM and GTX560Ti surely I should have more than 28fps without the tremendous heat (80-85C on gfx and CPU). I play with the panel off my PC and it still gets much hotter than any other game I’ve run on this system. I ran Skyrim for months with 50+ FPS on all max settings with temperatures averaging 20C cooler than GW2.

For a game that was originally planned for release in 2010, I can safely say it’s been an anticlimax and a half. It’s a blessing in disguise for me since it means I can get on with university stuff.

Posted by: Xiccarph.7352

Xiccarph.7352

Well worth the money.

Posted by: Spudfuzz.6185

Spudfuzz.6185

I feel like the hype got me more excited and expectant than what it should have been – but overall I’m still satisfied with the game and don’t feel like it went to waste. Having my boyfriend play through it with me (who leans more towards FPS style games) helped open my eyes a bit towards areas GW2 could really improve on combat wise and other things, but I’d still like to see where GW2 goes in the coming years with future content/ changes.

Posted by: Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Every single dollar. Just yesterday i bought gems to give this guys some extra for their outstanding work.

Not a single game EVER has got so much content and so well polished for being a jusr launched game. Many people is just way unfair and compare contents whit games that what, 10 years? give me a break. In 10 years this will be one of the best if not the best MMORPG of our generation, a milestone on the industry.

There a lot of things i dont like of the game, but i understand that no game has been half as good as this at launch, anybody played those old-school epic games from their start? Anyone remember how was L2 in the 2004? or ragnarok online in the 2003? or even the biggest hit on the genre, WoW the 2004…

Just remembering them, great great games, makes me smile thinking about how this game will grow if it is already this good.

Posted by: loulakion.9741

loulakion.9741

well it took me around 280 hours to get 80lvl and still bellow 50% of world exploration ..! still i havent visited the Orr ..

for sure its worth 60$, even the 150$ i spend for my CE : )

http://imgur.com/a/Kzi1J#0 they give me joy and out of game lol xD

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

Still can’t understand how my bag of chip 300 dollar pc can run GW2 maxed out and everyones complaining like mad about that.
lol.

AMD Athlon II x4 650 3.1ghz
Nvidia Geforce 630GT 1GB
4GB 1333mhz Ram

Must be me.

Anyway, yeah like I’ve said before it’s well worth it.
Just have to try it out, dependable what server your on it can be a pretty much flawless experience.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Yes.

If only because it has dragged me away from the deadly time-sink that is APB:Reloaded. Some people have been complaining about bugs, you need to SEE that game to believe how bad the hit reg and optimisation are. Words do not do it justice.