Holy Grind Wars 2!

Holy Grind Wars 2!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I never read a negative thread post. I will delete. However it does seem that your posts are very one sided and you constantly rush to defend Anet in any decision that they make. I want GW2 to be the greatest fuxking game of all time. That’s why I post on these forums.

First, I’ve complained about numerous things, including RNG in cash boxes, content coming out too frequently and various other bits (such as the personal story changing from solo to five man for Arah).

That doesn’t mean I can’t disagree with people who make sweeping generalizations that are simply wrong, or people who come here just to bash the game without any constructive comments to back it up.

You don’t know anything about me.

But you are going out of your way to defend them on this. Apparently a lot of people do think that they said there would be no gear tiers. And their opinions are valid, what is the point in trying to say they are wrong?

I can understand that you might not agree with people here, but you are going out of your way and trying to dismiss everyone’s opinions on this after people have provided quotes and articles and videos defending their stance.

I mean you were doing this two months ago:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Gear-Grind-or-People-leave/page/3

For the last time, I’m not defending gear tiers and if that’s all you’ve gotten from what I’ve said, you’re not reading what I’m saying.

A company makes statements about intent. They try to do what they say. It doesn’t work. They change their approach.

People are making this something personal. Anet betrayed me. Ummm, Anet doesn’t know you.

A company invests hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars into a project and they have a right, within the law, to manage that project as they see fit. This isn’t a betrayal of anyone. This is a company that tried to do something different and, from their perspective found it didn’t work.

I don’t say people shouldn’t post negatively about gear grind or about vertical progression. But saying a company lied (when they have no evidence of the intent to deceive) is a little rich. And saying that a company is now lying, because they’re in damage control mode…shrugs. PR departments are PR departments.

I don’t love vertical progression and I never have. I’ve said so. It’s not my preferred style.

ALL I’m saying is that I’m not so sure others here, even those complaining the most loudly, wouldn’t have done the same stuff Anet has done in the same situation.

It’s so so easy to say I’d never have done that. I’d have stuck to my guns. It’s very easy to say that until you have millions of dollars on the line.

Do I think the game is perfect? No. Do I think the game is great? No.

Do I think Anet woke up one day last November and said for no reason I think we should do a 180 and kitten off our more loyal fans? No.

I don’t think that’s what happened, and that’s pretty much all I’m saying.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Wow..all the failed MMO’s core philosophy changed and all the successful ones didn’t. How interesting. I’d be interested to know which MMOs you consider failed and which you consider successful.

snip

snip

Nope, LOTRO did not change core systems. They built new systems on top of the old ones, without invalidating the old ones. These include Legendary Weapons and Mounted Combat.

snip.

Everyone that I know that played Lotro left the game because of the change to free to play and the increasing influence of the cash shop. Many people considered that a core change. It became a whole lot closer to pay to win for a lot of people. Unless you were one of the few who paid for a life time membership up front, the game’s changes were too much for many of the original players.

We had an entire cadre of Lotro players in my guild who just couldn’t play the game any more, because of the changes to what they considered to be core principles.

You might not see it that way but a there are definitely those who do.

Okay, let’s consider payment model a “core system”.

If that’s the case, haven’t you just proved my point?

That drastic changes to core systems cause MMO decline?

Sure, but the company made more money, ie was more successful when that system changed. The claim I was refuting was when someone here said that every time a company has done that the game has failed. It’s simply not true, that’s all.

I’m not saying they didn’t kitten people off and lose some players. I’m saying that they changed the core game and it didn’t cause the game to fail. I’m only answering someone’s argument, not saying that the game never lost a player over it. Their profits went up after the change, not down.

Actually, that’s not true either.

LOTRO saw an immediate boost after they went F2P for about the first year. The expansion Rise of Isengard, released during that time was their best-selling ever.

However, the next and most recent expansion, Riders of Rohan, seems to have been a major disappointment. Sales figures were never released, and there were lay-offs afterwards. This was for an iconic Middle Earth location, and an all-new game system: Mounted Combat.

I wonder if GW2 will follow the same trajectory. Initial boost after changing the core system, but long-term decline.

That’s the crux: has Anet sacrificed long-term growth for short-term retention with Ascendeds?

Well since their Riders of Rohan was AFTER the changes I talked about, and it was the most successful ever, I’d guess that it wasn’t those changes that caused the failure of the game.

You’re drawing major conclusions to say that the change of the game was the reason for the game doing badly now, when in fact we don’t really know that’s the case. In fact, the whole western thought process of blaming one thing is wrong in almost every case. There were probably dozens of reasons that conspired to cause the company to start losing money now, possibly the popularity of Guild Wars 2, in fact. Guild Wars 2 is one of the few games that might have taken people away from Lotro, because it’s so PvE centric, and the PvP and PvE are so well separated.

But the conclusions being drawn here are simply not supportable.

Again people make these sweeping, generalized statements, that really can’t be supported. They can guess. They can estimate. But no one really knows.

The only way anyone will know if the same thing will happen to Anet and Guild Wars 2 as happened to Lotro is to wait and see what happens.

I get that people are really vested in their view of how the game should be run…but most of us (including me) have neither the knowledge or experience to really see all ends.

None of us have the info that Anet has. None of us were present at productivity meetings, and none of us are privy to the ins and outs of how the game is doing.

Circumstantial evidence would suggest it’s doing at least okay but beyond that… we just don’t know.

So saying well this happened to Lotro because they changed something, when the game was doing fine for years after the change..that’s quite a stretch.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

this game has no future…..

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Hey I remember when Kripp was banned. Why’d you post that?

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

I did a tl:dr of this thread.
I divided people who can accept the new direction of the game (green) from the ones that are not so willing to (red), there is also a group of players of which I did not understand very well their position (gray):
(22 pages are a lot of comments so I might have done a bit of confusion, please forgive me and remember that english is not my native language ç_ç)
Btw:
- 61 are ok with the current form of VP (top poster Vayne with ~111 posts)
- 133 are not ok with the idea of VP (top poster MikaHR ~89 posts)
- Of 34 I was not able to fully understand their position, some I suppose didn’t give a lot of weight to this topic, some other remain neutral and highlight the good points of both reds and greens (top poster Lanfear ~8 post)

p.s. I know I played the ape with some of the greens quotes (not even so much btw), but it’s not a secret that I’m rooting for the reds :P

Attachments:

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The problem with SWTOR and GW2 to me is they overhyped it so people expected to much. My lesson for future developers is let the game do the talking, stop over hyping your product.

The problem is that the market is littered with failed MMOs (and games) that DIDN’T hype themselves, and never got off the ground because no one bought them. An example I like to use is Mirror’s Edge. Dice really didn’t push too hard marketing that game, they wanted the gameplay to speak for itself.

The game pretty much flopped at launch. I’m actually amazed EA is letting them make a sequel, considering how much that company values sales out of the gate.

Consumers WANT to get hyped up. They WANT to be riled up and excited, and frankly, when it comes to pre-release, you better go big… because otherwise it won’t matter if you do a 180 later. Customers won’t give you the chance.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

I divided people who can accept the new direction of the game (green) from the ones that are not so willing to (red), there is also a group of players of which I did not understand very well their position (gray):
(22 pages are a lot of comments so I might have done a bit of confusion, please forgive me and remember that english is not my native language ç_ç)
Btw:
- 132 are not ok with the idea of VP (top poster MikaHR ~89 posts)
- Of 35 I was not able to fully understand their position, some I suppose didn’t give a lot of weight to this topic, some other remain neutral and highlight the good points of both reds and greens (top poster Lanfear ~8 post)

p.s. I know I played the ape with some of the greens quotes (not even so much btw), but it’s not a secret that I’m rooting for the reds :P

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to compile that from a sort of empirical standpoint. It’s certainly a stark portrayal of the official forum community; despite your slight biases showed through it is definitely fascinating to see the breakdown.

Tragically (for both sides, really), attempting to draw any conclusions at all from the content of this thread would be a god-awful idea for anyone interested in the future of the game.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Erick Alastor.3917

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to compile that from a sort of empirical standpoint. It’s certainly a stark portrayal of the official forum community; despite your slight biases showed through it is definitely fascinating to see the breakdown.

You’re welcome.

Tragically (for both sides, really), attempting to draw any conclusions at all from the content of this thread would be a god-awful idea for anyone interested in the future of the game.

:S

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Btw:
- Of 35 I was not able to fully understand their position, some I suppose didn’t give a lot of weight to this topic, some other remain neutral and highlight the good points of both reds and greens (top poster Lanfear ~8 post)

It’s interesting. Probably not very useful when it comes down to the fact that most of the people I know who enjoy the game have stopped posting here altogether, because they’ve been attacked by people who don’t enjoy the game.

That’s the problem with stuff like forums. If you like something, you’re a blind fan boy. One of my guildies who used to post here asked me yesterday why I continue to torture myself. I told her that I don’t. I post because I find it entertaining.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

It’s interesting. Probably not very useful when it comes down to the fact that most of the people I know who enjoy the game have stopped posting here altogether, because they’ve been attacked by people who don’t enjoy the game.

That argument can go both ways. Even when players have valid criticisms like this gear grind one, they are attacked.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

That argument can go both ways. Even when players have valid criticisms like this gear grind one, they are attacked.

It depends on what you define as a “valid” criticism.

For example, “I’m afraid that this Ascended thing is really the tip of the iceberg. Because the sort of players that this is supposed to appeal to AREN’T going to be satisfied with just one tier of vertical progression. What happens when they’ve got all of that, and want something more to grind and be more powerful? How can I be confident this really IS the end of the line?” That’s a valid criticism. I certainly hope that people aren’t attacked for that.

Now on the other hand, “ANET lied to me! This is a slap in the face! It’s a gear treadmill! 500 ore is too grindy! I’ll never find a group again because they’ll demand I link my Ascended that I don’t have!!!!111!!! ANET doesn’t listen! They hate their customers!” That’s NOT a valid criticism, and frankly, if someone gets attacked for jumping to conclusions and being a whiny brat… sorry, that’s on them, really.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Btw:

You can put my name into the Against, i’m completely against this junk and the new direction Guildwars 2 is sliding into.

Honestly so many pages and so much negativity, which wasn’t hard to predict after seeing Nov last year exactly the same.

I believe this company really hasn’t a clue what their players want and are just out for money at this point, i could be wrong but the way Anet projects it on this forum it honestly does not feel like the community good or bad is wanted or even liked at all..

Just look at this thread for example, so much anger and hate for their new additions and not one reply or even a sorry to their community, that’s pretty arrogant imo.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Erick Alastor.3917

Btw:

You can put my name into the Against, i’m completely against this junk and the new direction Guildwars 2 is sliding into.

Honestly so many pages and so much negativity, which wasn’t hard to predict after seeing Nov last year exactly the same.

I believe this company really hasn’t a clue what their players want and are just out for money at this point, i could be wrong but the way Anet projects it on this forum it honestly does not feel like the community good or bad is wanted or even liked at all..

Just look at this thread for example, so much anger and hate for their new additions and not one reply or even a sorry to their community, that’s pretty arrogant imo.

I honestly think that I have a glimpse of what there is on their minds about this thread.
If we don’t count the greens and grays, just 133 people are firmly against this direction.
Why they should care of so few costumers when they have many thousands of players actively playing and enjoying the game?
But I believe that here lies their greatest mistake, relying just on statistics is as comfortable as it is unwise.
In my opinion Gw2 didn’t sold so well because it was “the perfect game” or thanks to their PR, I think they got to where they got primarily thanks to the word of mouth advertising. And for the most part maybe they should say thank you to the users of GW1.
This said, this kind of advertising is viral and very effective, especially on the net, the way in which the old media worked it’s surpassed, they can no longer rely only on an unidirectional communication.
Given that we are all connected I wonder why they don’t fear a domino effect, a negative one, and they seem so calm making some of their customers really angry, from my pov it’s an odd behaviour or a very little cautious one at least.

- Mike Obrien

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

I’ve never attacked anyone for complaining about gear grind. I’ve attacked people who keep bringing up Anet said something 87 years ago and it changed. Yes, it changed. Last November. If you don’t like the change move on…because it’s already changed. It’s not going to change back.

I don’t particularly love the change myself but having the same argument for ten months isn’t helping anyone.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Btw:

I believe you have no clue what these players want. You’re making the assumption that they bulk of players think the way you do. It may be true that the bulk of posters on the forums feel that way, but since most people lurk, we don’t actually know what they think.

And there are people who said on day one, omg this is terrible grind and then a few days later said it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be.

On that note, if this is the last tier of gear, I’m okay with it. If there’s a tier after this, I probably won’t be.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

This game will obviously either tank or it might have found the dumbest community and took it as its own. There is no content. The last actual content introduction was fractals. Anet wants a grind but they aren’t bringing the benefits you get from grinds in other MMO such as doing fun, high end raids and dungeons. The grind itself in GW2 is also one of the most boring I’ve ever seen.
People who enjoy grinding, and even people who don’t but are willing to grind when the game requires it, want content to go with it. The idea that you can introduce crap like ascended weapons and later on ascended armors without tying their acquisition to an high end dungeon or raid is senseless. The people who are attracted to that aren’t going to stand for the idea that the end game is all about open world crap, champion farming and standing in front of a crafting station.

As someone who doesn’t enjoy grinds I’d still rather play a true grind game that also has actual content than a game like GW2 whose only “content” is the grind itself, a year after release, still nothing introduced after the first release of Fractal of the Mists. And FOTM is almost all there is to high end PVE, maybe we could count some Arah in, although it’s really not comparable to FOTM 48+. I’ll probably buy FF14 once I’m done going through Dark Souls which I’ve picked up after being bored to death by Zerg Wars 2.

This game’s current vision of PVE is like a facebook game with a better engine. It has conflicted visions all over the place, it tries to be Playskool-My-First-MMO while having dungeon mechanics that, while not difficult for a decent organized group, completely shreds apart the casual crowds it tries so much to attract, while not being able to keep/retain the player base who really cares about content like dungeons.

It’s spreading out thin and can hardly satisfy everyone, while trying very hard to do so.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

xephire.8324

You’re welcome.

:S

Nice analysis keep up the good work man

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

This game will obviously either tank or it might have found the dumbest community and took it as its own. There is no content. The last actual content introduction was fractals.

Do you know the number of people who play this game who don’t give a fig about the Fractals at all? Do you believe most players want challenging content? Do you believe that the fractals are what this game was meant to be about?

If so, I don’t know what to say.

Actual content. As if you or anyone else has a right to say this is good content and this is bad content. And you know, I like the fractals and all, but I much prefer the Teq battle. For that matter, I prefer Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survival.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

xephire.8324

I don’t give a fig about teq battle and Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survival but fractals were actually good.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: deathklock.4961

deathklock.4961

Overflow would like to have a word with those of you saying the game is dying.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I’ve never attacked anyone for complaining about gear grind. I’ve attacked people who keep bringing up Anet said something 87 years ago and it changed.

Now, Vayne, that’s clearly incorrect. ArenaNet was founded in the Spring of 2000 (I’ll assume Northern Hemisphere Spring because that’s where Bellevue is). That makes it around 13 1/2 years old, which is clearly a much smaller number of years than 87. Don’t go saying things that aren’t completely, absolutely, and verifiably true on these forums – we wouldn’t want people to get the wrong impression.

I believe you have no clue what these players want. You’re making the assumption that they bulk of players think the way you do. It may be true that the bulk of posters on the forums feel that way, but since most people lurk, we don’t actually know what they think.

How do you know that most players lurk? Do you have metrics from ArenaNet? This is just speculation. For all you know, most players post, and our friend Erick is spot on with his statistical analysis.

I just wanted to make sure that what you said wasn’t misinterpreted by anyone. Must be correct to a “T”, as it were.

Have a nice day!

;)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

This game will obviously either tank or it might have found the dumbest community and took it as its own. There is no content. The last actual content introduction was fractals.

Do you know the number of people who play this game who don’t give a fig about the Fractals at all? Do you believe most players want challenging content? Do you believe that the fractals are what this game was meant to be about?

Actual content. As if you or anyone else has a right to say this is good content and this is bad content. And you know, I like the fractals and all, but I much prefer the Teq battle. For that matter, I prefer Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survival.

So who then has the right to say what is content. Sure you prefer Teq and sanctum spring and southsun survival and i bet most people do. That doesnt make it content. especially sanctum spring and southsun survival. But if thats what people want thats what they get. However just because most people want a certain kind of “content” doesnt mean that the minority should be left unattended to. In fact the minority are probably the people who play the game the most, the hardcore crowd. I prefer Dungeons and Fractals to all of the other content in this game. I dont even do dailys anymore and i havent even been playing as long as everyone else. Honestly Anet needs to stop devoting as much time to LS and start focussing on bringing in permanent content. I dont mean to say stop LS (although thats what i want) bc most people like it but they need permanent things that people can get better at. And even when the bring permanent content through ls or so they say they will i bet it will be more open world and then one dungeone like molten facility thats boring as kitten.

also to your argument that no one can say what content is, thats kind of a bad idea. Think of it in terms of books. We have critics who say what good content is and what bad content is. Thats why critics dont say anything good about twilight but they will keep publishing articles and speaking highly about Invisible Man. Why? because IM and all great literature is filled with content that is longstanding and interesting that grips you as you read it. Now back to gw2. yes there is content but its not that gripping. I mean most people probably do the champ farm and read dufly while quickly finishing achievements and doing dailys. Is it content yes. Is it good interesting content no (well majority of it is not). It is a mockery of content which gives shallow stories written by 5 year olds and pushes them out as fast as the zhaitan fight was pushed out. They do seem to be taking steps in the right direction with tequatl and SAB tribulation mode but as it stands now gw2 is the twilight of mmos.

(No i have not read twilight i have just heard from friends how awful and poorly written it is.)

also the target audience: “if you like mmos then you should check out gw2, if you hate mmos you really want to check out gw2”

(edited by champ.7021)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

I don’t give a fig about teq battle and Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survival but fractals were actually good.

Yep. I was never convinced you were the target audience for this game.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

I’ve never attacked anyone for complaining about gear grind. I’ve attacked people who keep bringing up Anet said something 87 years ago and it changed.

Now, Vayne, that’s clearly incorrect. ArenaNet was founded in the Spring of 2000 (I’ll assume Northern Hemisphere Spring because that’s where Bellevue is). That makes it around 13 1/2 years old, which is clearly a much smaller number of years than 87. Don’t go saying things that aren’t completely, absolutely, and verifiably true on these forums – we wouldn’t want people to get the wrong impression.

How do you know that most players lurk? Do you have metrics from ArenaNet? This is just speculation. For all you know, most players post, and our friend Erick is spot on with his statistical analysis.

I just wanted to make sure that what you said wasn’t misinterpreted by anyone. Must be correct to a “T”, as it were.

Have a nice day!

;)

Hi Chuo. I thought you’d understand that an obvious exaageration to make a point is completely different than hyperbole where people are exaagerating things for different reasons. It’s a form of humor. People do it all the time.

Completely different from the type of misinformation usually spread by some people on these forums.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

So who then has the right to say what is content. Sure you prefer Teq and sanctum spring and southsun survival and i bet most people do. That doesnt make it content. especially sanctum spring and southsun survival. But if thats what people want thats what they get. However just because most people want a certain kind of “content” doesnt mean that the minority should be left unattended to. In fact the minority are probably the people who play the game the most, the hardcore crowd. I prefer Dungeons and Fractals to all of the other content in this game. I dont even do dailys anymore and i havent even been playing as long as everyone else. Honestly Anet needs to stop devoting as much time to LS and start focussing on bringing in permanent content. I dont mean to say stop LS (although thats what i want) bc most people like it but they need permanent things that people can get better at. And even when the bring permanent content through ls or so they say they will i bet it will be more open world and then one dungeone like molten facility thats boring as kitten.

also to your argument that no one can say what content is, thats kind of a bad idea. Think of it in terms of books. We have critics who say what good content is and what bad content is. Thats why critics dont say anything good about twilight but they will keep publishing articles and speaking highly about Invisible Man. Why? because IM and all great literature is filled with content that is longstanding and interesting that grips you as you read it. Now back to gw2. yes there is content but its not that gripping. I mean most people probably do the champ farm and read dufly while quickly finishing achievements and doing dailys. Is it content yes. Is it good interesting content no (well majority of it is not). It is a mockery of content which gives shallow stories written by 5 year olds and pushes them out as fast as the zhaitan fight was pushed out. They do seem to be taking steps in the right direction with tequatl and SAB tribulation mode but as it stands now gw2 is the twilight of mmos.

(No i have not read twilight i have just heard from friends how awful and poorly written it is.)

It is content. It’s stuff you do in game. That’s content…pretty much by definition. I didn’t go say Fractals wasn’t content. I’m simply saying someone who says that there hasn’t been content since the fractals is wrong….or in this case actual content.

You’re defending the guy who said there’s no “actual” content? Really?

Holy Grind Wars 2!

champ.7021

Yup because if you understood what he meant by actual content he didnt mean that there was no content. He meant there was no actual content, no real content it was all just tricks to keep people playing, i.e. Dailys, Monthlys, Time Gated Dungeons and World Bosses, Ascended Weapons……

you’re like the kid in my class who uses stupid semantic arguments to annoy the kitten out of people who say something using the connotation of a word and not the denotation of the word.

also not defending his whole argument i was just making the point that as individuals we should be able to decide what content is and what isnt content and be able to voice the opinion. We will never know whos right when it comes to the definition of content. People have argued over Catcher in the Rye wondering whether it is a valid book or not, whether it is filled with deep content or a shallow story of teen anxt. Maybe Nikaidos wrong and maybe im wrong as well but critics are always in the minority and sometimes they are right

@Chuo LMAO

(edited by champ.7021)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Chuo.4238

Have a nice day!

;)

Hi Chuo. I thought you’d understand that an obvious exaageration to make a point is completely different than hyperbole where people are exaagerating things for different reasons. It’s a form of humor. People do it all the time.

Completely different from the type of misinformation usually spread by some people on these forums.

I thought you’d understand that, too. /facepalm

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Yup because if you understood what he meant by actual content he didnt mean that there was no content. He meant there was no actual content, no real content it was all just tricks to keep people playing, i.e. Dailys, Monthlys, Time Gated Dungeons and World Bosses, Ascended Weapons……

you’re like the kid in my class who uses stupid semantic arguments to annoy the kitten out of people who say something using the connotation of a word and not the denotation of the word.

also not defending his whole argument i was just making the point that as individuals we should be able to decide what content is and what isnt content and be able to voice the opinion. We will never know whos right when it comes to the definition of content. People have argued over Catcher in the Rye wondering whether it is a valid book or not, whether it is filled with deep content or a shallow story of teen anxt. Maybe Nikaidos wrong and maybe im wrong as well but critics are always in the minority and sometimes they are right

@Chuo LMAO

But actual content is a matter of opinion. Saying that we haven’t had actual content because he doesn’t like the content trivializes the opinions of all the people who do like that content. And I’m pretty sure it’s a far bigger number than he suspects.

He could say no content I like or no content that I find challenging, but instead, he chose to post the term actual content. Well, I hate to break it to you, but in those terms, he’s completely wrong.

What he meant, and the way he phrased it puts him as the ultimate arbiter of what makes good content, and frankly, I don’t think anyone can put themselves in that light.

The problem is, I’m reasonably saying it’s a content and how he phrased his post makes a misleading argument.

I think the game’s concurrency figures are growing, and if what he said was true, well…that wouldn’t likely be the case.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Have a nice day!

;)

With the number of people actually attacking me directly, all posts are going to end up as defensive posts.

Timing is everything.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

xephire.8324

Have a nice day!

;)

With the number of people actually attacking me directly, all posts are going to end up as defensive posts.

Timing is everything.

The person who said that he will post less on the forum these days ended up having 111 posts in this thread :/

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Chuo.4238

Have a nice day!

;)

Timing is everything.

lol ok nevermind. I’m not sure I could, with great effort, miss the point so skillfully, often, and by so far and wide as you seem to manage with every post. You, have however, made my morning. I’ll be chuckling all day at work, no doubt to the consternation of those around me.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Have a nice day!

;)

Timing is everything.

The person who said that he will post less on the forum these days ended up having 111 posts in this thread :/

And very very few others. I’m waiting for Tequatl to spawn…that’s why I’m here.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

champ.7021

But actual content is a matter of opinion. Saying that we haven’t had actual content because he doesn’t like the content trivializes the opinions of all the people who do like that content. And I’m pretty sure it’s a far bigger number than he suspects.

He could say no content I like or no content that I find challenging, but instead, he chose to post the term actual content. Well, I hate to break it to you, but in those terms, he’s completely wrong.

What he meant, and the way he phrased it puts him as the ultimate arbiter of what makes good content, and frankly, I don’t think anyone can put themselves in that light.

The problem is, I’m reasonably saying it’s a content and how he phrased his post makes a misleading argument.

I think the game’s concurrency figures are growing, and if what he said was true, well…that wouldn’t likely be the case.

How many people like the “content” in gw2 doesnt mean that its content. How many people like GW when he was president after 9/11. Everyone in the US pretty much. Turns out he was a kitten kittener.

Also the absolutist attitude that Nikaido represents is that of any critic. For when it comes to criticism, speaking in a compromising tone gets nowhere. You need the extremes to get to the midway point. For example when the constitution was being discussed Hamilton created a plan that was so radical that it actually pull people to the middle. Thats why extremes work because when you compromise even a little as a critic you get no where. People who decide shouldnt be extreme but i mean nikaido is pretentious anyways so its all good.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/mad-about-children

see how the critic says things staright out without being wishywashy. Grow up and realize that not everyone talks in a back and forth way. That doesnt mean you should disregard their opinion because like Nikaidos although its extreme its pretty close to what i feel and what others feel.

(edited by champ.7021)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

How many people like the “content” in gw2 doesnt mean that its content. How many people like GW when he was president after 9/11. Everyone in the US pretty much. Turns out he was a kitten kittener.

Also the absolutist attitude that Nikaido represents is that of any critic. For when it comes to criticism, speaking in a compromising tone gets nowhere. You need the extremes to get to the midway point. For example when the constitution was being discussed Hamilton created a plan that was so radical that it actually pushed people to the middle. Thats why extremes work because when you compromise even a little as a critic you get no where. People who decide shouldnt be extreme but i mean nikaido is pretentious anyways so its all good.

see how the critic says things staright out without being wishywashy. Grow up and realize that not everyone talks in a back and forth way. That doesnt mean you should disregard their opinion because like Nikaidos although its extreme its pretty close to what i feel and what others feel.

Speaking in non-compromising terms gets far less, because reasonable people write you off. That’s the real issue.

If you have legit complaints and express them in a completely unreasonable manner, only people who already agree with you will give you the time of day.

Presumably you want to make an impression on people who might be swayed, not just those who think like you do. Otherwise, why post?

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

There’s a lot of new players + a somewhat temporarily renewed interest in some because of Tequatl but these are not what will keep the players for long. Most of my friendlist left the game. The ones I know who haven’t are playing a lot less than they used to and to be honest, I don’t know why they still do. I haven’t logged on for some time, and don’t intend to. I’m still following the news, hoping anet would get a grip, but I don’t think they will.
So far out of the players I’ve know for the first 6 months I started playing this game, none are active anymore. None of them. The only people I know who still play are the rare hardcore I met in guilds like DnT and LOD who have an interest in doing things like record times in dungeons they’ve already ran 100000 times and I really don’t know how long this will keep them up.

As for actual content vs fluff being defined, the fact is, actual content is lasting content that people still like and complete a year after release. People still do fractals, will still do most of the dungeons and they are repeatable content. You’re saying we’re a minority but I’m pretty sure there are far more players doing dungeons in this game than people who still play activities like Sanctum Sprint.

The fact is, all the players who really care about the more involved, less fluffy content in this game are leaving one after the other. Top TPVP players are leaving, and whole teams have left in the past, and will probably leave again if nothing is done to the current TPVP meta and game modes. People who were interested in GVG are now leaving because GVG is going to be massively unbalanced with the new WvWvW patch, and anet has no interest in supporting this game mode that people loved in the previous game and tried to remake through WvWvW. Notice how a lot of active WvWvW guilds also do GVG, and the people who were interested in it will not stay forever in the current conditions.

People interested in high end PVE content kept leaving since the introduction of fractals, there’s no denying that.

In the end, if all that’s left, are people like you, who profess love for fluff like Sanctum Sprint, I don’t know what to say, did we really expect this game to be a game that attracts the type of crowds that enjoy facebook games ? Because that’s what you really are.

@champ

I love the da——____mning with faint praise! keep it up. No seriously, it’s funny.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

(edited by Nikaido.3457)

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Yup, seems that “lurkers” dont like ascended too (whoever did that argument)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/POLL-Feelings-on-Ascended-weapons/first

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

Dont underestimate addictivness of farmville (pun intended)….for a short while.

Too bad that doesnt last.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Holy Grind Wars 2!

champ.7021

@champ

I love the da——____mning with faint praise! keep it up. No seriously, it’s funny.

it made you laugh thank god it wasnt all in Vayne

Holy Grind Wars 2!

xephire.8324

@champ

it made you laugh thank god it wasnt all in Vayne

Vaynity!

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Mentor.4130

Mentor.4130

Count me in as a player that doesn’t like ascended gear and the direction GW2 is going.

Why can’t we get ascended tier weapons from dungeons? For example instead of 390 tokens for exotic greatsword 1390 tokens for ascended. Could stay with the same skin as exotic greatsword, I would transform it anyway.

Atleast we should have more options to get ascended gear.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Erick Alastor.3917

Even if I’ve skipped different events lately, I don’t dislike all the new contents, mainly because I see them as minigames, and between them I think everyone can find something that he likes.

But the way they are implemented, the kittenload of achievements attached to them, the subcontract with the dulfy’s site, the lack of actual permanent content between them, the idea that a dev can say something like this with a light heart

I remember back in the day grinding for gold in Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior 1 to be able to buy enough potions to beat the bosses and dungeons. That’s essentially what you’ll be doing. The time invested in doing so ratchets up the tension.

(It’s a quote from the SAB, but honestly… in my opinion we could extend it to the rest of the game)
All of this make me really sad.

At first I was enjoying the content, but then with the introduction of ascended I stopped and started to think.
I’ve played in 1 year more than I played Gw1 in 7 year, and no doubt I liked Gw1 more in so many aspects, so why? Why was I playing? Why was I logging everyday? Was it healthy? Was I having fun?

In the end I come up with the idea that I logged to do my work and that it was not totally my own fault, because even if the game don’t force you, it strongly encourages you to do so even when you are not enjoying the content. If you have not the whole day to spend inside the game, all that is left to you is a work schedule to fill.

As others have also pointed out we do not know why we should work or if is even needed, because no developer has deigned to tell us the real direction of the game.

In conclusion, I feel that this game need more permanent content (and maybe they’re working on it right now), maintain and upgrade the minigames if this doesn’t subtract time to create an epic story (that we are not forced to read on the official website)… and the addition of challenging tasks that are bootable immediately without farming or queues required.
All this should be done always taking into account that the challenge should never lock out less skilled players or casual players. A “normal/hard mode” feature could fit for the first group and no VP for the second group.

These are my thoughts of what, right now, might be good for the community :P

(self-interest: fix the huge clipping issues of the masquerade shoulders+seer’s coat combo and also the acolyte mask, all broken from the launch…)

- Mike Obrien

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

It depends on what you define as a “valid” criticism.

For example, “I’m afraid that this Ascended thing is really the tip of the iceberg. Because the sort of players that this is supposed to appeal to AREN’T going to be satisfied with just one tier of vertical progression. What happens when they’ve got all of that, and want something more to grind and be more powerful? How can I be confident this really IS the end of the line?” That’s a valid criticism. I certainly hope that people aren’t attacked for that.

Now on the other hand, “ANET lied to me! This is a slap in the face! It’s a gear treadmill! 500 ore is too grindy! I’ll never find a group again because they’ll demand I link my Ascended that I don’t have!!!!111!!! ANET doesn’t listen! They hate their customers!” That’s NOT a valid criticism, and frankly, if someone gets attacked for jumping to conclusions and being a whiny brat… sorry, that’s on them, really.

This is a hilarious meta-joke if you look at it the right way.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I’ve never attacked anyone for complaining about gear grind. I’ve attacked people who keep bringing up Anet said something 87 years ago and it changed. Yes, it changed. Last November. If you don’t like the change move on…because it’s already changed. It’s not going to change back.

I don’t particularly love the change myself but having the same argument for ten months isn’t helping anyone.

When I bought Final Fantasy 14, I knew what I was getting into, but when I bought Guild Wars 2 I thought I was getting one thing, but ended up with something worse.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Chuo.4238

Also the absolutist attitude that Nikaido represents is that of any critic. For when it comes to criticism, speaking in a compromising tone gets nowhere. You need the extremes to get to the midway point. For example when the constitution was being discussed Hamilton created a plan that was so radical that it actually pushed people to the middle. Thats why extremes work because when you compromise even a little as a critic you get no where. People who decide shouldnt be extreme but i mean nikaido is pretentious anyways so its all good.

Speaking in non-compromising terms gets far less, because reasonable people write you off. That’s the real issue.

If you have legit complaints and express them in a completely unreasonable manner, only people who already agree with you will give you the time of day.

Presumably you want to make an impression on people who might be swayed, not just those who think like you do. Otherwise, why post?

Why make a post like this? Seriously. What do you get out of it?

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

Why make a post like this? Seriously. What do you get out of it?

What do I get out of encouraging people to speak their mind in a way that gets their point across? How about a better community.

I know some people might think it’s okay to say or do anything they want, because they can. You might think it. Someone else might think it.

But if you talk reasonably, you’re more likely to win hearts and minds than if you kitten and moan. At least I’ve always found that to be true.

If you don’t want grind in the game, and you want Anet to take you at all seriously, ie look at your complaint, the way to do it is to give the facts in the most relaxed way possible. Exaagerating stuff won’t get you noticed, or change anything. It will simply get your opinion dismissed.

You may not believe this, but I believe that everyone should say something if there’s something in the game they don’t like. And I encourage people to say it in such a way that it benefits them.

That’s why I make posts like that.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Overflow would like to have a word with those of you saying the game is dying.

It’s only overflowing on the new content…because its new, the rest of the game may as well not exist because there is very little there.

Once people realise this new content is just too much hassle for no rewards they will die off, i’m pretty sure of that, i’m seeing it in my guild again already…

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

If you don’t want grind in the game, and you want Anet to take you at all seriously, ie look at your complaint, the way to do it is to give the facts in the most relaxed way possible.

Like this?

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Vayne.8563

If you don’t want grind in the game, and you want Anet to take you at all seriously, ie look at your complaint, the way to do it is to give the facts in the most relaxed way possible.

Like this?

Yes, that’s what I mean exactly. lol

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

Vayne.8563, Xcom.1926, xephire.8324, Erick Alastor.3917,
Same guys, all days… Stop flood please.

Holy Grind Wars 2!

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

They aren’t going to stop discussing it. Nor should they. Just quit reading the thread if you’re tired of it.

This is a divisive issue. None of the matters, cause ANet isn’t catering to any of us. We are just the insignificant passionate minority. But we like talking about it. Yesterday was the first day I decided not to regear a toon because it was too expensive. So I’m staying with condition damage (I wanted to try out power).

I also broke down yesterday and started playing older characters again, cause I was bored with the one that I considered a main. So… no ascended weapons for me. Hopefully they don’t make content that requires it (but I have no say or influence in that decision either.)

This thread actually keeps us from talking about it all over the place. The better to quietly delete later.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.