How do you feel about GW2 right now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

How do I feel about the game right now? Pretty good actually. I do what I feel like doing, I don’t do what I don’t feel like doing. I’m looking forward to the next bit of living story, and I’m also looking forward to the feature update in a couple of months. Overall, I’m enjoying myself. Doing a little bit of this and that, here and there. Stress free and relaxing… yup, loving it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I still say people who PvPed have a lot more reason to be annoyed here than people who PvE.

We did both really. Some were PvPers who dabbled in PvE, others were PvEers who dabbled in PvP. It was a great alliance.

To be clear, I am not trying to claim that my own experience in this regard was at all representative of, “most,” or anything of the sort.

No, I get that, what I’m trying to say is that there’s far more to the PvE experience here than there is to the PvP experience. There are two forms of PvP here and only one small scale. The biggest, most popular forms of PvP from Guild Wars 1 aren’t really represented at all.

As a person who predominantly PvE’ed in Guild Wars 1, I don’t feel that I don’t have enough variety. There’s always something going on. I can do fractals for challenge, or some of the harder dungeon paths. I can farm in certain areas, do events, explore…all the stuff I used to do in Guild Wars 1.

I’m not sure most PvPers can make that claim.

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

I still say people who PvPed have a lot more reason to be annoyed here than people who PvE.

We did both really. Some were PvPers who dabbled in PvE, others were PvEers who dabbled in PvP. It was a great alliance.

To be clear, I am not trying to claim that my own experience in this regard was at all representative of, “most,” or anything of the sort.

No, I get that, what I’m trying to say is that there’s far more to the PvE experience here than there is to the PvP experience. There are two forms of PvP here and only one small scale. The biggest, most popular forms of PvP from Guild Wars 1 aren’t really represented at all.

As a person who predominantly PvE’ed in Guild Wars 1, I don’t feel that I don’t have enough variety. There’s always something going on. I can do fractals for challenge, or some of the harder dungeon paths. I can farm in certain areas, do events, explore…all the stuff I used to do in Guild Wars 1.

I’m not sure most PvPers can make that claim.

I can queue up for TPvP and wait for 15 minutes because Oceanic PvP is about as active as Alliance Battles in Guild Wars 1 if you logged in right now…

Variety? Is that another word for conquest?

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

The game is in a stale moment. There has been nothing major since release. The first dragon we got was a bore fest of a fight. There seems to be no point after playing this game for 3k hours. Because you can pretty much experience everything in this game withing first 2k hours then repeat for the last 1k to keep some value.

There is no point in wvw.
Dungeons only give gold and the skins are there but skins skins skins is the only thing this game is played for.
Spvp is stale
Tpvp is cool but getting stale since only one game mode and only the fotm/cheese is run.
pve is pretty much gone after you get 100% world complete and explore all the jps.
End game is gone after you explore all the world and repeat the world bosses enough times.

Thats pretty much it, it seems. The incentive to play is small but things like rng/un balanced classes/repetitive gameplay/ no major updates are holding this game back. Other wise this game has great potential since the combat is very fun.

What i would suggest is that there should be less rng and NO DR. Making a legendary should be something you achieve not something you get from sheer luck or doing repetitive things.

World bosses need to have an incentive. They could drop skins and stuff like tequatl(rng needs to be lowered in this since those skins cant be traded. It’s just personal character progression). The world boss things should feel different everytime to keep you coming back to it.

Dungeons are all repetitive. While the AC update was great because it added the new way to do p2 which is good. I think each path should have variants to it so you dont end up in a boredom roll(fractals for example is great since its random instances)

open world pve needs to be better. No one vists most the maps in pve unless for karma vendor usage in orr. The maps need an incentive to bring players to. Like certian things that happen on those maps. Atm queensdale and frostgorge see lots of players due to champ farms(now i dont want more champ farms) but they should include incentives to those maps.

WvW needs to have incentives aswell. Atm its just a server pride fest of meaning less zerging. You do circles and circles around the map capping and defending from zerg after zerg. There should be special events like players being able to control a war beast and go attack something while the other server defends to make for epic battles. Atm its just stack might stack stack stack! Make wvw impact pve and dungeons for the servers to bring players to wvw more.

Also fixing the bugs that have been in the game since release should get looked at too. There is no reason for the obvious bugs to still plague the game.

Add the fun back to gw2 anet. Stop with the repetitive LS every 2 weeks.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Funny thing how every1 here are disappointed in Gw2 but are still here commenting and playing the game.I got disappointed in WOW 6 years ago and since then i never log in,never went on blizzard forums and never even watched any of WOW videos on youtube except some expansion patch trailers.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

There is a reason that, “you can’t please all of the people all of the time,” is a truism. Different people like different things. Doing one thing, even if only for a little while, will delight some people while disappointing others. Then the others will get something they like while still another group is disappointed until its their turn. Until a game development studio has access to nigh unlimited resources they will disappoint people with everything they do. The goal shouldn’t even be to avoid disappointing people, it should be to please more people than they disappoint.

Disappointment doesn’t mean, “hates the game.” It can be as trivial as not getting what you want out of a given BLC or Teq’s chest this time. It can be dissatisfaction with the current SPvP meta for a while and so playing WvW instead. It can be dislike for the current living story arc and so waiting for the next.

and so on.

Sorry to say but I disagree with this statement. Take something like Disney World…which is oddly enough a themepark. Something themepark MMOs try to do.

Disneyworld provides myriad experiences for people who crave different things. If you’re a thrill ride seeker, you’re going to largely be disappointed with disney world. If you’re a person who only likes theater shows, you’re going to be disappointed.

But a percentage of people do a bit of everything and that’s what makes places like Disneyworld so successful. It’s a play where you have a bit of everything.

People seem to think most people prefer only one thing or two things, but some people like variety and Guild Wars 2, by making a game for everyone, is offering that variety. I’d wager there’s a fairly large segment of the population that likes to do different things.

So they do some PvE in the open world, some dungeons, some bosses, then jump int WvW for a while, play some minigames.

Saying something is a truism doesn’t make it a truism. It has some value, but you have to question that kind of statement further, because so many truisms have completely contradictory truisms.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Out of sight out of mind. Both of those things are considered truisms, but they directly contradict each other. Putting weight on truisms because people say them is intellectually dangerous.

The term “theme park mmo” doesn’t have anything to do with offering a wide variety of things to do for a wide variety of players.

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

I can do fractals for challenge, or some of the harder dungeon paths. I can farm in certain areas, do events, explore…all the stuff I used to do in Guild Wars 1.

Here’s a tiny list online games where you can do this too:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm
;-)

These preferences don’t appreciate the basic game mechanics which distinguishes GW1 from GW2 and about every other MMO I’d claim.
Adding the lack of passion for the PvP aspect of both games (which was probably the strongest feature of GW1) could explain, why one will probably never be able to really understand those, who feel that GW2 is not a true successor of GW1.

Well, everyone can have its own level of expectation, that’s fine…but trying to explain colors to a blind person who pretends to see is somewhat sense-less.

GW2 feels like a money-grab and rat-maze, which couldn’t go any further from why Trifor…eeerm Anet was founded by those “ex-blizzardies” who didn’t want to create a game based on rat-maze mechanics and therefore developed GW1.

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think the forums have gotten them self into a situation where they can be called out for asking for something and then getting it and then complain about the very thing they asked for.

what have we gotten that we asked for we asked for progression got a insane grind for BIS gear, we asked to help even the playing field in wvw for servers wither lower pop we got bloodlust back, we asked for fractal to be fun they make dredge EVEN WORSE that’s not what people want. its misinterpretation of the problem and making it worse.

NO the forms asked for gear that was not much stronger they also wanted something to work for and to have something that can majorly drop. That is the new gear for you if they where too strong you would be singing a different toon kitten ing them for making too strong of gear. Open field fights for out number was AC and other wvw weapons but they where made to deal with ppl and something that would have an impact in a fight so ppl did not wish to counter this and they asked for them to be nerfed so now numbers will still win a fight some of the time. Most ppl hated blood lust and felt it was too much. Fractal was adding in the old LS that was ASKED to be replay and that how you replay that keeps in line with the story.

No has nothing to do with misinterpretation its that ppl on these forums have no idea what unintentional consequences are and only think in the moment of what they want NOW. If you cant get a item you want you become obsessed with that one item and before trying to work on getting it ppl are more likely to come on the forums and ask for it to be easier to obtain. And that just what your doing in your post.

1: Ok one that first part you proved my point not yours
2 in the second part you brought something unrelated to anything or i said to insult me and others. I never ONCE mentioned getting that one item easy and, not wanting to work for it.

No i was showing you the reason for the changes due to the forums. Then i was posting out your reaction to something in the game and how you where using the forums to get it and not just simply playing the game.

Another case in point what going on now is zerker ppl have been making forms about pve zerker being the only way to play and they wanted it fixed and now we are getting a fix.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

You made a statement that is directly and demonstrably not true. That statement doesn’t offend me. I’m simply pointing out the wording is wrong.

Vayne,
It’s something you are now doing for a pretty long time here in the forums. Every time somebody uses a hyperbole you pretty much accuse him of lying.

Yeah when he says ‘everybody’ it’s not literally everybody. He first pretty much says that Anet tries to please everybody (Hyperbole alert!) and then that they end up disappointing everybody (hyperbole). So it means “many people” and many is subjective.

I quote from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
“Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

He did not make a statement that is ‘not true’ you did read a hyperbole literally and you should not have read it literally. Thats where it go’s wrong. His statement becomes ‘not true’ at the moment you read a hyperbole literally.

Vayne.8563

You made a statement that is directly and demonstrably not true. That statement doesn’t offend me. I’m simply pointing out the wording is wrong.

Vayne,
It’s something you are now doing for a pretty long time here in the forums. Every time somebody uses a hyperbole you pretty much accuse him of lying.

Yeah when he says ‘everybody’ it’s not literally everybody. He first pretty much says that Anet tries to please everybody (Hyperbole alert!) and then that they end up disappointing everybody (hyperbole). So it means “many people” and many is subjective.

“Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

He did not make a statement that is ‘not true’ you did read a hyperbole literally and you should not have read it literally. Thats where it go’s wrong. His statement becomes ‘not true’ at the moment you read a hyperbole literally.

I’ve never hid the fact that I don’t like hyperbole because it doesn’t strengthen arguments. Nor does it effectively communicate ideas. In fact, it weakens arguments because they’re easy to dismiss for anyone who does take them literally.

It’s not a mistake to stand up against hyperbole. The use of hyperbole to try to fix this game is precisely the kind of thing that someone looking at a thread might overlook.

Many good threads will end up getting ignored because of the overuse of hyperbole. Why make a strong point easy to dismiss?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s in a bad state for me right now. I’ve actually gone back to WoW and GW1 because GW2 just can’t keep my attention for more than a couple minutes at this point. I can’t think of anything I would find fun in the game, so I just don’t log in. Although, I am looking forward to this huge feature update they are talking about.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

Many good threads will end up getting ignored because of the overuse of hyperbole. Why make a strong point easy to dismiss?

it’s not a matter of communication.
many good threads end up ignored because Anet wants to ignore it.
i think that the ideas are well explained…and explained a sufficient number of times.
simply, devs have their own ideas.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

Funny thing how every1 here are disappointed in Gw2 but are still here commenting and playing the game.I got disappointed in WOW 6 years ago and since then i never log in,never went on blizzard forums and never even watched any of WOW videos on youtube except some expansion patch trailers.

its because we care and want the game to improve instead of just giving up on it. If there were more ppl like you around here then there wouldnt be a player base left.

Vayne.8563

it’s not a matter of communication.
many good threads end up ignored because Anet wants to ignore it.
i think that the ideas are well explained…and explained a sufficient number of times.
simply, devs have their own ideas.

That doesn’t mean they ignore the threads though. There’s a huge difference between kowtowing to what others want, well explained or not, and ignoring a thread. I have kids. My kids have complained about things that aren’t going to change. If they don’t change it doesn’t mean I’m ignoring their complaints. I’m just not making changes they’re requesting. Big difference.

But there are threads that will get ignored because of how they’re phrased and how they come off. This is just basic human nature.

If you’ve ever been in a writing critique group, you’d see that there are ways to offer criticism. You’re usually instructed to start by saying something you liked about the piece, before you actually get to the criticism. Because the initial very human response to criticism is resistance.

So those who complain a certain way, are far less likely to get heard/seen/response than those who criticize in other ways.

Just as I’m sure some people have dismissed me and stopped reading my posts because of how I respond, I’m just as sure people who see the game a certain way don’t take what you have to say seriously because you’re banging a drum even in threads that have nothing to do with the drum you’re banging. We get it. You don’t like vertical progression. We understand. You want horizontal progression.

It’s too bad the way you come off is less likely to make a positive impression in the game, because your ideas aren’t bad ones.

Devata.6589

Vayne,

I’ve never hid the fact that I don’t like hyperbole because it doesn’t strengthen arguments. Nor does it effectively communicate ideas. In fact, it weakens arguments because they’re easy to dismiss for anyone who does take them literally.

It’s not a mistake to stand up against hyperbole. The use of hyperbole to try to fix this game is precisely the kind of thing that someone looking at a thread might overlook.

“In fact, it weakens arguments because they’re easy to dismiss for anyone who does take them literally.”
Well there are indeed always people who do dismiss it by taking it literally however personally I then don’t see that reaction as very valid. As it is very easy to dismiss pointing out that it’s a hyperbole.

Why focus on that word ‘everybody’ if you know it’s a hyperbole. React mainly on the content not on that one world. No offense but I see that type of defense weak and not helping to the discussion.

You could have reacted mainly on the content and said something like "btw, I don’t like you use the word “everybody” even if it’s a hyperbole" but in stead the main discussion is about that one world losing the whole content.

You see it in politics when the party that is not right wants to deflect from the content. Not saying that you are not right but just as you don’t like hyperboles I don’t like it if people focus on such a hyperbole by taking it literally and so pretty much making the content second while it should be first.

Anyway thats what I had to say about it and I don’t want to kidnap this thread any more to discuss about hyperboles.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Oh, I absolutely agree that taking just one portion of the gaming community would be a problem and most likely cause them more problems with people leaving than they have now. However, they have, imo, spread themselves too thin in trying to please almost everyone.

This and trying to make a compromise between playstyles that don’t really have room for a compromise. The idea of constant vertical progression is probably one of the best examples. You either have to go all-in to have enough progression, at a fast enough pace, to keep the progression-focused crowd interested. On the other side, any constant/long-term vertical progression will drive players away.

Anet tried to reach a mid-ground with Ascended gear, but ended up at a point where quite a few left, or at least had a much altered opinion of the game, and another group stayed long enough to get their gear, then still got bored and left. The pace of the gear release might have kept some of them coming back, but only long enough to get the latest pieces of gear. If they decide to continue with gear progression, they might still retain some of that group, but at the lost of losing even more of the other.

Anet would possibly have kept more players in the long run had they not added ascended gear. It would have cost them one group, but the other would have been much more satisfied then either group is now. And more satisfied players are going to be more willing to spend their cash in the gem store. Most players in the mid-ground between those two groups likely don’t care either way, and will happily go on with or without ascended gear.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Vayne.8563

Vayne,

“In fact, it weakens arguments because they’re easy to dismiss for anyone who does take them literally.”
Well there are indeed always people who do dismiss it by taking it literally however personally I then don’t see that reaction as very valid. As it is very easy to dismiss pointing out that it’s a hyperbole.

Why focus on that word ‘everybody’ if you know it’s a hyperbole. React mainly on the content not on that one world. No offense but I see that type of defense weak and not helping to the discussion.

You could have reacted mainly on the content and said something like "btw, I don’t like you use the word “everybody” even if it’s a hyperbole" but in stead the main discussion is about that one world losing the whole content.

You see it in politics when the party that is not right wants to deflect from the content. Not saying that you are not right but just as you don’t like hyperboles I don’t like it if people focus on such a hyperbole by taking it literally and so pretty much making the content second while it should be first.

Anyway thats what I had to say about it and I don’t want to kidnap this thread any more to discuss about hyperboles.

Hyperbole or not, you must have missed the post where I suggested that trying to cater to multiple groups wasn’t necessarily the wrong thing to do. I’m not so sure that there’s enough of any one group to keep any triple A MMO running.

mrstealth.6701

Hyperbole or not, you must have missed the post where I suggested that trying to cater to multiple groups wasn’t necessarily the wrong thing to do. I’m not so sure that there’s enough of any one group to keep any triple A MMO running.

Catering to as many groups as possible is the right thing to do, but there are some points at which a side needs to be taken instead of trying to partly satisfy both sides. There are plenty of aspects of the game that cater to some types of players, while having little or no impact on other types of players. Anet should be focusing on ways to cater to certain groups, without making changes that drive other groups away.

I think Fractals is a good example of this. It was a good addition for players that enjoy dungeons, as well as those that wanted more challenging content, and content that offered increasing levels of difficulty. The only real impact on someone that doesn’t like doing Fractals is having a considerably longer method of getting ascended rings. I would like to see a more viable non-Fractals way to get rings, but it’s not a major issue. That is also more of an issue with the reward system, not with Fractals themselves.

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Vayne.8563

Catering to as many groups as possible is the right thing to do, but there are some points at which a side needs to be taken instead of trying to partly satisfy both sides. There are plenty of aspects of the game that cater to some types of players, while having little or no impact on other types of players. Anet should be focusing on ways to cater to certain groups, without making changes that drive other groups away.

I think Fractals is a good example of this. It was a good addition for players that enjoy dungeons, as well as those that wanted more challenging content, and content that offered increasing levels of difficulty. The only real impact on someone that doesn’t like doing Fractals is having a considerably longer method of getting ascended rings. I would like to see a more viable non-Fractals way to get rings, but it’s not a major issue. That is also more of an issue with the reward system, not with Fractals themselves.

I agree with this post whole-heartedly.

I didn’t mean to say that everything Anet does to please various groups should be fair game. I’m simply saying that in and out itself, it’s not wrong to please various groups if you can.

The real issues, of course, come when pleasing one group completely disenfranchises another.

killcannon.2576

Curious as to what has led you to believe that catering to as many groups as possible is a good thing?

killcannon.2576

I didn’t mean to say that everything Anet does to please various groups should be fair game. I’m simply saying that in and out itself, it’s not wrong to please various groups if you can.

The real issues, of course, come when pleasing one group completely disenfranchises another.

Curious as to what has led you to believe that catering to as many groups as possible is a good thing?

Vayne.8563

What leads you to believe it’s a bad thing?

The idea is like this. A big game with lots of updates in this climate and day particularly needs a lot of players. If I wanted to play a single player game, I wouldn’t need an MMO. There are far better single player games to play.

MMOs can shoot for a smaller audience, and charge a monthly fee or go pay to win, or they can target a larger audience and try to offer something for everyone.

I doubt any ambitious MMO today is going to ignore PvPers say, at the expense of PvE’ers. Even games which have no relationship to PvP (like ESO) will launch with PvP in game. Why? It’s not what the franchise was built on.

To attract more players.

So many businesses today diversify. It brings in more money which more creates more stability and certainty. All your eggs aren’t in one basket that way.

Anyway, I like a bit of everything. I like doing different things at different times. I like the variety. If this game was just filled with hard core challenging things for that crowd, I wouldn’t play it, even though I sometimes like to do challenging content. I like that it’s there.

It’s true it will never be as good for hard core players as a game that focuses on hard core challenges…but then I don’t believe that MMOs that focus on that are viable long term…or will have enough money to continue to produce content.

And I think we can all agree that an MMO that stops producing content starts to die at that moment.

mrstealth.6701

It’s good for the company business-wise, and good for the game community, to attract and keep as many players as possible. The more types of players you cater to, the larger your potential playerbase. There are, of course, limitations to this. With a limited amount of time to push updates and a limited number of devs able to work on them, you can’t cater to every imaginable group without spreading your efforts too thinly to produce high quality content. It’s a balancing act of trying to please as many different groups as possible with your limited resources.

Kevan.8912

i think they already evaluated that risk….and made their choices.
too late.

Posted by: Toroxus.9256

Toroxus.9256

Not to get into a whole list of the things I love and things that make me one more dredge in a dredge fractal away from throwing my keyboard out the window, but if I were to describe this game in a single phrase (because a word wouldn’t work) it’d be this:
This is the only MMO that rewards you for having fun with your friends. There’s no fighting over quest items, or loot, or experience. No rolling over boss drops. I don’t think I can ever play a MMO that has me fighting over quest items, or boss loot ever again. I’m never going to race to last-hit a boss so I get loot. I’m never going back to a game that doesn’t have mentoring, a trading post, dodge-roller, or magic casters who can move while casting.

But then again, we have terrible optimization, absolutely shameful storytelling “cutscenes” in which 2 people just face each other, and a complete lackage of skills. Hey, you take the good and the bad. Have to see the bad for what it is in order to fix it, right?

Vayne.8563

too late.

Well it depends on the actual size of that group…or a comparison between the two groups.

We may never know..but I’m pretty sure Anet has a better idea of this than we do.

Kevan.8912

too late.

Well it depends on the actual size of that group…or a comparison between the two groups.

We may never know..but I’m pretty sure Anet has a better idea of this than we do.

of course they have. but of course players have their good ideas too
and for some of that “at risk” population it’s too late.

Vayne.8563

too late.

of course they have. but of course players have their good ideas too
and for some of that “at risk” population it’s too late.

I agree…it is too late for some of them. And you know, the game’s population seems pretty good to me. Maybe Anet was right.

Posted by: bannex.1923

bannex.1923

I like this game. Its fun. For a 1 yr old mmo it has TONS of promise and longevity. Most ppl that don’t like this game are just uncomfortable with how different it is compared to more traditional MMOs. Sure there are plenty of issues but with 350 ppl working on it and a big international launch coming up u would be a fool to think that what u see is what u get with gw2.

Kevan.8912

I like this game. Its fun. For a 1 yr old mmo it has TONS of promise and longevity. Most ppl that don’t like this game are just uncomfortable with how different it is compared to more traditional MMOs.

no. it’s the opposite.
some people don’t like it no more because it’s becoming too similar to that traditional mmos.

(edited by Kevan.8912)

Posted by: bannex.1923

bannex.1923

I said most not all… I bet some don’t like this game cuz its made in America. Ppl don’t like stuff for ridiculous reasons. I don’t care to hear all of them. I was merely stating my opinions and observations.

Vayne.8563

I like this game. Its fun. For a 1 yr old mmo it has TONS of promise and longevity. Most ppl that don’t like this game are just uncomfortable with how different it is compared to more traditional MMOs.

no. it’s the opposite.
some people don’t like it no more because it’s becoming too similar to that traditional mmos.

Only Guild Wars 1 fans think it’s similar to other MMOs. I’ve been in both games. This game is worlds apart from other MMOs.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In my experience GW2 is closer to other MMOs than some people claim, but not as close as others argue. It does seem closer now than at launch and seems to be getting closer over time.

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

As someone that love PVE in most games I can’t but feel a little disappointed still.
Part from fractals there is not much out there that is really hard game-play and most of it can be worked around in one way or the other.

Most of the group content can be soloed or 3 manned – it will just take more time. You do your thing, your teammates do their’s, trigger a combo-field now and then but group interactions are fairly simplistic stuff.
The variation in builds is slim if you want to be effective and it mostly comes down to “Bring max dmg, don’t get hit and don’t fall down!”. If everyone gets that part right for their own then you won.
Playing a support role is more often then not a liability to a group rather the support. (I am talking about a full trait support)

As far as grinding gear and gold I just gave up on that in the end. I’m still sitting on my legendary staff only missing a precursor, but I suppose there is no rush.

Vayne.8563

In my experience GW2 is closer to other MMOs than some people claim, but not as close as others argue. It does seem closer now than at launch and seems to be getting closer over time.

This is a fair statement. But the core things that separate it from most MMOs are still very much there.

Posted by: narrock.6890

narrock.6890

I think the forums have gotten them self into a situation where they can be called out for asking for something and then getting it and then complain about the very thing they asked for.

what have we gotten that we asked for we asked for progression got a insane grind for BIS gear, we asked to help even the playing field in wvw for servers wither lower pop we got bloodlust back, we asked for fractal to be fun they make dredge EVEN WORSE that’s not what people want. its misinterpretation of the problem and making it worse.

NO the forms asked for gear that was not much stronger they also wanted something to work for and to have something that can majorly drop. That is the new gear for you if they where too strong you would be singing a different toon kitten ing them for making too strong of gear. Open field fights for out number was AC and other wvw weapons but they where made to deal with ppl and something that would have an impact in a fight so ppl did not wish to counter this and they asked for them to be nerfed so now numbers will still win a fight some of the time. Most ppl hated blood lust and felt it was too much. Fractal was adding in the old LS that was ASKED to be replay and that how you replay that keeps in line with the story.

No has nothing to do with misinterpretation its that ppl on these forums have no idea what unintentional consequences are and only think in the moment of what they want NOW. If you cant get a item you want you become obsessed with that one item and before trying to work on getting it ppl are more likely to come on the forums and ask for it to be easier to obtain. And that just what your doing in your post.

1: Ok one that first part you proved my point not yours
2 in the second part you brought something unrelated to anything or i said to insult me and others. I never ONCE mentioned getting that one item easy and, not wanting to work for it.

No i was showing you the reason for the changes due to the forums. Then i was posting out your reaction to something in the game and how you where using the forums to get it and not just simply playing the game.

Another case in point what going on now is zerker ppl have been making forms about pve zerker being the only way to play and they wanted it fixed and now we are getting a fix.

Ok i’m done your lying to get your non existent point across when post this
“your reaction to something in the game and how you where using the forums to get it and not just simply playing the game. " your have no ground to stand by lying to me and anybody else that can clearly see that was NEVER BROUGHT UP your just berating me to make yourself look like the hero.

killcannon.2576

It needs a lot of players that play, that is true enough. Casuals gamers (different than casual mmo players) don’t fit that role though. They just don’t play enough to help populate a game.

PvP is pretty much a given in almost all MMO’s, and if done well won’t split the player base. If it can be tied into the lore and mechanics. Something GW2 is trying to play catch up with. Elder scrolls lore would actually be well suited to pvp, whether they do it right remains to be seen. So would have GW2’s, if they had decided to not go the care bear route and decided to make all the races friendly towards one another. The game is practically screaming for a Charr/Asura alliance versus the Human/ Sylvari.

When businesses diversify, they create subsidiaries, much like how Anet is a subsidiary of NCSoft. If a company makes shaving cream and wants to diversify by making toothpaste as well, they don’t make a toothpaste/shaving cream hybrid (as much fun as that might be). They make another company that creates toothpaste. Each company then specializes in it’s own product. The same with MMO’s. It’s a bad idea to make one MMO to rule them all, what Blizz is finding out, when you can make different MMO’s to focus appeal and work towards one group. Like NCSoft is doing currently. WildStar will be for hardcores what GW2 is for casual mmo players.

Being all things to all gamers in a MMO fractures your player base, makes it harder to develop consistent quality content, fractures a games focus, and runs the risk of your player base feeling betrayed or confused on what kind of game they are actually playing. It doesn’t work, it’s never worked, and never will. With no clear focus on who their core player group is, they will never be able to make a game that is great at being what it is, it will just be mediocre at everything it’s trying to be.

Like shaving cream toothpaste…..yuck.

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

For me its because i loved gw1 so much and i so desperately want to enjoy gw2. The game has a TON of potential but its just ruined more and more by STUPID decisions. Guess its just me hoping…. Though i should have probably learned my lesson by now. I have been waiting for a real successor to halo 2/3 for about 7 years now :/

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Machiavel.6042

Machiavel.6042

It sucks, always did in fact, but since I have nothing else to play…

I kinda get tired to breed eggs in Pokemon Y, so here’s a brain-dead game for ya !

I still come back from time to time, since I have that masochistic pleasure of looking at that shameful “game of the year” for so many. Truly sad, but hey, that’s life for you. I want it to be a good game (not a great one, just a good one, see ?) but we all know it’s not. No matter what the devs say about it. You failed, big time, guys. Oh, sure, you’re racking up cash from fools and fan-boys (you ain’t all like that, slow down you crazy lunatics), but from a gamer’s point of view ? Nope.

-I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it- Edgar Allan Poe

Vayne.8563

It sucks, always did in fact, but since I have nothing else to play…

I kinda get tired to breed eggs in Pokemon Y, so here’s a brain-dead game for ya !

I still come back from time to time, since I have that masochistic pleasure of looking at that shameful “game of the year” for so many. Truly sad, but hey, that’s life for you. I want it to be a good game (not a great one, just a good one, see ?) but we all know it’s not. No matter what the devs say about it. You failed, big time, guys. Oh, sure, you’re racking up cash from fools and fan-boys (you ain’t all like that, slow down you crazy lunatics), but from a gamer’s point of view ? Nope.

So you’re a gamer, because you don’t like it and people who like it aren’t gamers, is that your argument? Just checking.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

no. it’s the opposite.

Only Guild Wars 1 fans think it’s similar to other MMOs. I’ve been in both games. This game is worlds apart from other MMOs.

A game like EvE is an MMO worlds apart. GW2 is at best a typical mmo with many of the unpleasant elements missing because they don’t need them or because they have them in another form. We don’t have gear durability because WP’s work as a gold sink. We don’t have treadmills because it was a selling point but also because they don’t charge a sub fee and aren’t required to keep us playing for as long as possible to make their money.

Plenty of us have played other MMo’s and are fully capable of recognizing all the things GW2 lifted from them while still trying to stay as much of a special butterfly as it could. The problem is that while they lifted many good things (actual stats, multiplayer over world, ect.) they are increasingly falling back on the bad kinds of MMO staples.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Breaks my heart to see everyone vs. Vayne, it’s like World vs. World in the forums. O_O I’m sure Vayne will come out on top though.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Vayne.8563

Breaks my heart to see everyone vs. Vayne, it’s like World vs. World in the forums. O_O I’m sure Vayne will come out on top though.

The funny bit is I don’t have to come out on top…because I can never “win” any argument here. It’s enough that newer posters realize that an argument exists. Then they can make up their own minds.

I mean if a bunch of posters, many of whom no longer play the game, share an opinion on something, it’s logical they’ll all agree. It’s not always obvious it’s just an opinion without a dissenting view.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

I think the question in the OP is personal for everyone. You should not quote someone and say “You are not right!”.

How I feel about the game? Mostly sad, because I am not playing it.

Why I am not playing it? Because I have to grind my * off for the BiS gear. Which was not my expectation about the game when I first bought it.

I feel like my journey in GW2 is over because of that. GW2 was a great game when you didnt have to grind for the BiS gear. Now – well , lets be honest, the way you have to grind for the gear is just plain boring, and there are many better option on the market if you want to play a grindy MMO with vertical gear progression.

GW2 was supposed to be different.

I still post on the forums because I hope for a change.
I post on the forums because I still like the game.
And I post on the forums because I can - unlike WoW, I dont have to pay 15$/month to post here.
There, now you know.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

no. it’s the opposite.

A game like EvE is an MMO worlds apart. GW2 is at best a typical mmo with many of the unpleasant elements missing because they don’t need them or because they have them in another form. We don’t have gear durability because WP’s work as a gold sink. We don’t have treadmills because it was a selling point but also because they don’t charge a sub fee and aren’t required to keep us playing for as long as possible to make their money.

Plenty of us have played other MMo’s and are fully capable of recognizing all the things GW2 lifted from them while still trying to stay as much of a special butterfly as it could. The problem is that while they lifted many good things (actual stats, multiplayer over world, ect.) they are increasingly falling back on the bad kinds of MMO staples.

This game is 1 year old. Stop acting like stuff isn’t going to change or be added. Don’t be stupid.

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension if you read that and came to the conclusion that I think the game is kittened and has no hope of recovery when I was clearly stating that it has bad elements and is increasing them rather than eliminating them. Never did I imply that it’s taken a turn for the irreversible nor have I ever said the team is incapable of going in the right direction if they really wanted to.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

2. Open world pvp environment. The game is getting way too safe and boring. There is no thrill or tension. At least if ArenaNet is planning to make an expansion, please please, create an open world pvx environment. I can assure you, this would make the game challenging and fun.

If they introduce this and if I have no possibility to avoid pvp in the open world, I would leave the game. It would be the most horrible decision they could ever make. I don’t pvp, in any game. But if they introduce a challenge mode where I, the challenged, can decide whether or not I accept the challenge and if I have an option to automatically decline challenges, now, that would actually be an interesting feature. Though not for me.

Devata.6589

no. it’s the opposite.

Only Guild Wars 1 fans think it’s similar to other MMOs?

So the direct statement is that only Guild Wars 1 fans think it’s similar to other MMOs. I am not really a GW1 player and I think it’s similar to other MMO’s. Which means not only Guild Wars 1 fans think it’s similar to other MMO’s. Therefore it’s not a true statement.

At very least it would have to be changed to only Guild Wars 1 fans and Devata. But I know at least a dozen people who who don’t play GW1 and think is simular, so therefore it would have to be changed further and frankly, what are the odds that I know every single person who’s not not a GW1 player but does think it’s similar?

It’s a pretty simple statement. It’s demonstrably untrue.

Sure it has it differences but every MMO has it’s differences overall it’s very much like other MMO’s.

(See what I did there)

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Wrong.
Never been a Guild Wars 1 fan, played the game for a couple of days when it came out then unistalled and never played it again.
Although i admit all the game’s qualities, i never been a fan myself.
But to me, GW2 doens’t seem any different than a lot of other F2P MMOs out there.

The fact that YOU find it different, doesn’t mean everyone else does.

Posted by: Doodakoff.5246

Doodakoff.5246

Game is awesome. Spend too much of my free time in Tyria.

On a side note, I don’t know why threads like this exist.

Only opinion that matters is my own. Anybody who is easily influenced by somebody elses opinion needs to stop being a sheep.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Only opinion that matters is my own.

It would be nice if that was true, but in the end it’s not.

The truth is that this is a game run to make money. A lot of money. If it stops being profitable enough, NCSoft will add it to the pile of games they’ve killed. (And I’m sure that if they kill GW2, GW1 will get the axe at the same time.)

It doesn’t matter how much one person may love or hate the game, even if that one person is you. What matters is how well the game’s bringing in money, and to do that they need a lot of people to love it. If you enjoy the game and want it to continue, then it’s in your best interests to let ANet know when you think they’re making a misstep, and why.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.