How many of you been brought by Angry Joe?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Artorius.6178

Artorius.6178

I didn’t even know who Angry Joe was until after the game came out. I did like his review once I watched it, but I can’t say I’ve watched any other of his videos since then. :\

I got GW2 because I played GW1, and then I enjoyed the GW2 beta events.

I was already to play before I saw his review. Beside he stated he hasn’t played for a long time. His Angry army is active but he is not.

That’s generally how it goes with Joe and MMO’s from what I’ve seen, he’s around for a short while, and then moves on to the next big release, I think he actively played and streamed ESO for like 2 weeks or so before moving on, granted, that was likely also because he didn’t like it a whole lot, but still.

And even in the time he played ESO he was mostly fooling around, I know absolutely for sure he never got anywhere near ESO’s veteran ranks, post level 50 essentially.

Luciana Aventius – Ranger – Gandara

(edited by Artorius.6178)

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I am. I was looking for a good MMO to play and when I saw his video I got hyped and I bought the game. I didn’t tried other MMOs to compare, but I’m sure this is still one of the best if not the best one.

My only concern are in bug fixing – takes literally years to fix some bugs – and balance – which are too many weak or useless options available and takes too long to be buffed (or even never are). Less options = Less fun for me.

Sorry for my english.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

For instance, he hated ESO and pretty much tore it a new one. I agreed with him initially with that game, it was akward to get into, didn’t seem like a TES game. However once I got past the “tutorial” mini instance and got into the story, I quickly forgot that it was a mmorpg with mmorpg combat rather than an TES game.

That’s actually why ESO was not that good. MMORPG with MMO part being complete crap.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

I called Angry Joe at 3AM, he said he was wearing Khakis.

It sounded hideous.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Played all of GW1 expansions, so GW1 made me want to play GW2.

Here is an interview, with Angry Joe and Colin Johanson that made me cringe at 7.55—8.10 (enough said>>).

What made you cringe about that? It was Joe asking a very valid question. Joe isn’t the only one that felt Zhatain fight was anti climatic, it was actually a common negative critique about this game.

I agree. Now wind your neck in, it was not a poke at Angry Joe!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Only heard about Angry Joe months after I had the game.

Now if he does a video to draw in P4F players who join his “army”, then it’ll be interesting.

Edit: fix typo

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Here is an interview, with Angry Joe and Colin Johanson that made me cringe at 7.55—8.10 (enough said>>).

What made you cringe about that? It was Joe asking a very valid question. Joe isn’t the only one that felt Zhatain fight was anti climatic, it was actually a common negative critique about this game.

I didn’t take it as a poke against Angry Joe. I felt it was strange that you cringed at a valid question.

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

While I know who AngryJoe is, hell, I watch his videos on a daily basis, he actually wasn’t the reason I got the game, I needed a new MMO, was tired of TERA, STO and SWTOR, and knew I wouldn’t have much money to throw at a F2P title, so I got GW2 HoT instead, which off course came with base GW2 included.

Very similar to my story. I’m like 5 days into GW2 as a new player. I hadn’t been in the mmorpg mood for a long time. I sort of got the itch. Been looking at f2p games because my time is all over the place, I don’t want to think “well ill sub this month but I’m not sure how busy ill be”

So I’m looking at free to play games. Each one more dead than the last, thinking…do I really want to get hooked and end up spending $$$ in a game where I think the future looks bleak?

Heard this game was going free, I had ignored it for quite some time for various reasons, one was I just all together stopped mmorpgs.

So I did some reading, thought if the core game is free the game will guaranteed be active, as my big worry with GW2 in the past (during sales ect) was that this was going to be nothing but hardcore vets 3 years deep in game.

Figured paying $50 was cheaper than getting into a dying f2p game….though ive spent more in the shop since that…figure this is a game that’s lived 3 years with like no significant content and is still active…made me think the overhype related to it might not have been so far off to keep people around that long with nothing special added.

Thus far I’m lovin it, though could say that about just about any game this new into it. Hoping its a game that I stick with.

For its price, and considering what else is out there, and what else is on the horizon (nothing on the horizon) I don’t think there is a better deal out there than $50 for HOT then maybe $20-$40 for some deco stuff and storage.

(edited by StrangerDanger.3496)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Now if he does a video to draw in P4F players who join his “army”, they it’ll be interesting.

Eh, I get he’s popular, but I only view him off and on, and he wasn’t the one to get me to GW2.

I prefer yahtzee and his passive-aggressiveness.

Not to mention, running away to join the circus while controlling and summoning beings from the underworld to do menial tasks? sounds good to me!

Posted by: Faith.1485

Faith.1485

i do think a good amount of people ( including me) came to play GW2 bc of angry joe. i never would have tried this game if it wasn’t for him =)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Who is angry joe?

I came here because this is where some of my friends were.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

lol at all these people pretending to not know who Angry Joe is. I find that when ever someone makes a thread like this about a Youtuber on any forum, that anybody who comes to the thread to say “Who is this person”, or some other remarks in the same vain of “Angry Joes, is that a POI” actually know who that Youtuber is.

I’m not pretending.

I don’t follow those people with dumb pseudonyms.

The closest I come to that is checking out Dulfy’s site, because it’s actually informative instead of farming views for lulz or spiteful criticism.

This is your first post in this thread and it was in response to my post, so when I made my post I wasn’t talking about you.

With that being said, given the content of your post, I am pretty sure you know who Angry Joe is.

And you assume incorrectly.

I figure he’s looped in there with Two Wood Utensil or That Potatoe Guy.
/shrug

A possibly correct assumptions as to why people come on here to say “wut who?” about this shrug-worthy individual is:
1. They might know, but they’re awesome iconoclasts who don’t bend to “celebrity.” They might even be sick of parrots trying to drum up site support in an inappropriate place, because the forums are not intended for advertising beyond GW2.
2. THEY LEGITIMATELY DON’T KNOW OR CARE WHO HE IS because he has no bearing on their gameplay or enjoyment.
3. #2, plus they would rather play the game rather than hear someone talk about it. Kinda the point of games, isn’kitten

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

My friend told me about the game and then i looked for reviews, and found angry joe. Decided to buy the game after i saw it. No regrets.

But ofc he doesn’t have time to sit all day and play mmo-s, he makes a living off yt he has to create other content.

And other joe is handsome af.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

I didn’t take it as a poke against Angry Joe. I felt it was strange that you cringed at a valid question.

Ok I,m cringing at this entire post (not the op’s topic). So either your trolling me, or you need it explained, as you clearly do not understand subtlety. It was the answer not the question that had me cringing.

There, thats 15 mins of my life I’ll never see again pffft. I wont be answering again, because frankly, its not worth it!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Never heard of Joe until quite some time after Guild Wars 2 launched. I’ve yet to see any of his videos, other than the interview with Colin after HoT was announced.

So, he definitely did not influence my purchase. I came to GW2 because I had been playing Guild Wars for ~7 years, at the time.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I discovered Angry Joe through GW2.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

GW2 made me aware of Angry Joe… does that count?

Same here. I like him, and I enjoyed his review a lot, but his persona can get bit annoying at times in other videos. I don’t know what he’s like now so much but there was a period of time where the whole angry thing seemed fairly at odds with his actual personality.

No Angry Joe did not cause me to buy GW2. GW1 caused me to buy GW2 and yes they are different games. I knew that going into it. I actually read what would be different and stuff. I had no clue who Angry Joe was until I searched for reviews and found that one. I showed it to both my sons and that plus me hyping it up got them playing with us.

See they did not just want to take their mom’s word for how the game would be they needed to hear more than me talking about it. They still play off and on but with real life it’s sometimes a little hard to get all of us together playing at once. 2 birthday’s ago I had the best present a gamer could have —- I got to play all day (about 14 hrs) with not only my husband but both our boys even while they were in different states. The granddaughter even got on daddy’s account for a little while to play with grandma …. good times that are hard to coordinate when everyone lives in different states and time zones.

That is adorable.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

The first time I ever heard of Angry Joe was during the whole Microsoft Xbox One revelation fiasco. He was pretty angry about that (I was too actually) and had a pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

The second time I heard of him was after I bought the game last March and was looking for gameplay videos. Only watched the first 10-15 minutes, but thought the comparison to the game who shall not be named was rather amusing.

Now he’s like Billy Mays, always there yelling at me to watch his review video every time I finish watching some other Guild Wars 2 related video.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’ve watch one or two of his other videos, usually his after game con ones that list what games he thought were interesting. And his Fant4stic review.

I didn’t see the No Punctuation review of GW2 either until I already had the game for months. I simply bought the game because of the no subscription fee and it was least likely to be an Asian grind/PvP fest and that was nearly 3 years ago.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Ok I,m cringing at this entire post (not the op’s topic). So either your trolling me, or you need it explained, as you clearly do not understand subtlety. It was the answer not the question that had me cringing.

There, thats 15 mins of my life I’ll never see again pffft. I wont be answering again, because frankly, its not worth it!

Then you should have put the time in your post that includes the answer, and not just the question, cause literally the time frame you put in your post was just the question only. Then you didn’t give any information of why you thought it was cringe worthy, other than “enough said”, when in fact it wasn’t enough said, in fact you didn’t say enough at all and gave a completely wrong time frame of the “cringe worthy” segment of the video. Not my fault if you couldn’t communicate the proper information correctly.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Angry Joe wasn’t on my radar at all until his Guild Wars 2 review. I wonder how many people found out about Angry Joe by following Guild Wars 2.

Yup, this was me. Never heard of the guy until GW2, but now I generally dig his fun approach to reviewing stuff.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

I got here thanks to good Anet’s profession previews before the release and TotalBiscuit’s awesome GW2 video series. Very in depth and informative. AngryJoe’s videos always felt like riding on a hype train with not much substance behind it, but that’s not to say that isn’t trying to deliver good material.

Posted by: CHS.5160

CHS.5160

Who is this Angry Joe guy? Is he in a POI i missed?

Angry Joe is a popular Youtuber who primarily focuses on game reviews of all platforms. He is well known for giving a straight forward no BS reviews of a game, and rates it. He also tell consumers if it is worth the price to buy. He also does some funny satire, skits in his videos

Joe played a lot of MMO’s and gave GW2 a 10/10 with his seal of approval back at launch. What is funny is if a game sucks or has aspects of the game that suck he will let you know and does not hold back “hence why he is known for being angry at times” He also reviews horrible games and tears them to shreds. He has a healthly amount of viewers so his opinions weigh heavy with the community. I know he has saved me some money in the past on some games I was on the fence on. I watched Joe since around 2011-2012

His Guild Wars 2 review has over 3 million views and over 69k likes.

Too bad his content has gone to kitten since that time

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Now if he does a video to draw in P4F players who join his “army”, they it’ll be interesting.

Eh, I get he’s popular, but I only view him off and on, and he wasn’t the one to get me to GW2.

I prefer yahtzee and his passive-aggressiveness.

Not to mention, running away to join the circus while controlling and summoning beings from the underworld to do menial tasks? sounds good to me!

Best GW2 Review. “does he know we have a spade?”

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

No. GW2 brought Angry Joe to me. Before his review of the game I had never heard of him. I’m glad I discovered him, though, because his reviews can be quite entertaining and informative. The bulk of GW2’s player base (myself included) came from a little game called Guild Wars. The rest are from a little place called it does not matter because they’re here now.

I get that you’re a fan of Angry Joe like I am, OP, but it’s a little silly to suggest that Angry Joe is the reason GW2 has half the player base it does now. He definitely helped bring attention to the game, but he is not the only one who did so.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Saw his videos along time ago, saw his GW2 review, and figured he was biased and/or finally sold out.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can add me to the list of people who had never heard of him until after playing this game. And then only occasionally on the forum, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him mentioned in-game.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: kult.3465

kult.3465

Only youtuber I like that covers GW2 is wooden potatoes, that being said I’ve never heard of Angry Joe until GW2.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Who is Angry Joe? Guess I wasn’t brought by him. Game full of angry people so I tend to not associated with people that have angry in their names.. :P

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: jamboburton.4367

jamboburton.4367

i had to look up angry joe, i never heard of him. sorry

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I certainly didn’t come here because of him. I find him more excitable and a bit annoying than anything.

Posted by: Odyssey.6523

Odyssey.6523

I was on the fence about an MMO for the wife and I because we gamed together a lot and we heard other couples played quite a few MMO’s. I had experience with MMO’s in the past but hated the grindy culture of killing 200 mushrooms to level up enough to move to the next zone.

Watched the Angry Joe review and realized this was a decent shot at a decent MMO. Haven’t looked back. GW2 isn’t perfect, but it is what I think is the best MMO on the market at the moment.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I find him to annoying most of the time to be honest, so no he didnt bring me here.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Angry Joe wasn’t on my radar at all until his Guild Wars 2 review. I wonder how many people found out about Angry Joe by following Guild Wars 2.

Yeah .. same here .. never heared of that guy before ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I never even knew about him before his GW2 review. I didn’t even watch more than a few seconds of that, it was just spammed a long time ago.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Had no idea who this Angry dude is. Never heard of him. Fortunately, I have the ability to determine if I like something or not, without a lot of outside help. If I play something and don’t like it… lesson learned.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

lol at all these people pretending to not know who Angry Joe is. I find that when ever someone makes a thread like this about a Youtuber on any forum, that anybody who comes to the thread to say “Who is this person”, or some other remarks in the same vain of “Angry Joes, is that a POI” actually know who that Youtuber is.

Maybe it’s because I’m older, but I really didn’t know. I don’t really hang out on Twitch and I don’t really do You tube much. I tend to read print instead of video. Videos take more time than scanning a written review.

let me ask you this? If you didn’t know who Angry Joe is prior to this thread, would you have come onto this thread just to say “Who is Angry Joe?” or would you have done what any reasonable person who truly does not know who someone is and web search the name? I know I take the reasonable route, and just look up the name to find out who someone is. People kittenpond with “Who is XXXX” in threads like this already know who that person is, they just do not like the person for what ever reason and trying to devalue their popularity.

That’s how I found out about him. Saw a thread and googled him. But I think the people reacting aren’t really reacting to say they don’t know him. They’re annoyed that people put such stock in these other people. I can see both sides of this.

But yeah, I watched his review and looked him up.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Angry Joe:
A wannabe game-journalist who’s known for emotional fits, spanning over several videos, reviews consisting of overhyping or overexaggerating single features/bugs & usually doing nothing but screaming at his camera to deliver some kind of point.
Does he get my clicks? Sure, since he’s comedy gold, especially since he regularly starts his “Angry-Army” guilds & communities for various games, inviting his followers to join him in these games, only to run off soon after & leave a headless community, doomed to get laughed at whenever they stick up their head in mapchat or game-forums, or die off eventually.
The best part is where he pretends that him giving up a reasonable job for “doing this” is some kind of achievement he has to be honored over, while struggling to keep above the economic surface with t-shirt & other merchandise sells.
I like how many fanboys he has, even tho he kittened them over again & again.

I mean, even the industry regards him as complete failure & joke, resulting in him usually never getting a interview or getting screwed over with very little questions allowed. I guess A-net were the nicest in treating him for a long time with the last HoT interview they allowed him in.

So yea, I know him. I actually like his comedic performance from time to time, but more-so I like how hard he usually fails.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

DROP THAT DOOKIE!!!

Posted by: Skorpis.4372

Skorpis.4372

Well he brought me for sure (3 years ago)

(edited by Skorpis.4372)

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

Wanted to buy GW2 before watching the Angry Review. Became a GW2 fanboy after watching it. Also became a subscriber to his channel because of the GW2 Angry Review. Still his best made review besides his Ride to Hell: Retribution Angry Review and Sonic: Free Riders Angry Review.

Unfortunately, his channel is not as attractive as before. Angry Reviews too infrequent, good reviews even rarer. He does more Let’s Plays now but his improv isn’t great, as those who watched his interviews with Colin can attest to.

(edited by Sylum.1806)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I never buy a game becouse a review says it. I have looked at some reviews where they bash the cream out of a game but I buy it anyway becouse I think it looks cool.

For me I was playing LoTRO and was okay with that, I told my Girlfriend that I don’t want GW2 becouse it is so darn good so I will quit LoTRO (I said this before GW2 was released)… Then my Girlfriend bought it for me at the three days headstart and I was trapped and I quit playing LoTRO. It wasn’t until alot later I heard about Angry Joe’s review and I saluted him for that.

But it’s alittle sad that Angry Joe isn’t playing the game anymore but I also can understand as he is doing reviews on other games it’s hard to find time for just one game.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think I may have watched his review before I bought in on the game… But on some levels the entire concept of an MMO “review” be someone with less than 100 hours played at the time is kinda silly… The things that matter most to me are going to be the years of level-cap play that follow the weeks of leveling and how does the studio sustain their creation after launch — something you can really only judge 6-8 months later.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Angry Joe is a man who is good with youtube-videos. Apart from that, he is a single computer playing person with a single, personal opinion. Why would his opinion carry any more weight for me than that of any person in this very forum for example?

Personally, I think he is not a great reviewer. As was already stated, reviewing MMORPGs is a very hard thing, they won´t reveal their value before hundreds and hundreds of game hours, giving a verdict after such a short time almost seems like an ignominious practice to me. There are actually good gaming journalists who refuse to do any review on MMORPG or explicitly state their review can only scratch the surface.

There are also consistent accusations of being, well, let´s call it a little close to publisher marketing departments.

As for personal preferences (remember, this is not an objective factor, my opinion is just my personal one, as much as angry joe´s is his), we could not be further apart. E.g. his Dragon´s Dogma review pretty much revealed him as an easy button-casual game-autowin-fan. Which, again, is fine for him, but does not make this game style any more relevant or great than the opinion of any given user here.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I also discovered Angry Joe via GW2. His review I think oversold the virtues of GW2 (the personal story’s branching quests he really bought the hype on), but he was entertaining, which is half the job of a reviewer anyway. In the end I 80% agreed with him on GW2 and 80% on ESO, which is a reasonable rate for a reviewer, and I’ll watch his videos if they come up as suggested on youtube.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Angry Joe:
A wannabe game-journalist who’s known for emotional fits, spanning over several videos, reviews consisting of overhyping or overexaggerating single features/bugs & usually doing nothing but screaming at his camera to deliver some kind of point.
Does he get my clicks? Sure, since he’s comedy gold, especially since he regularly starts his “Angry-Army” guilds & communities for various games, inviting his followers to join him in these games, only to run off soon after & leave a headless community, doomed to get laughed at whenever they stick up their head in mapchat or game-forums, or die off eventually.
The best part is where he pretends that him giving up a reasonable job for “doing this” is some kind of achievement he has to be honored over, while struggling to keep above the economic surface with t-shirt & other merchandise sells.

I mean, even the industry regards him as complete failure & joke, resulting in him usually never getting a interview or getting screwed over with very little questions allowed. I guess A-net were the nicest in treating him for a long time with the last HoT interview they allowed him in.

So yea, I know him. I actually like his comedic performance from time to time, but more-so I like how hard he usually fails.

He usually has a hard time for not bending over and taking one from developers like most outlets.

He like others will have frequent take down notices for his poor outlooks on games, whilst other videos will stay alive because they’re not negative. This happens to the likes of Total Biscuit and Jim Sterling too.

Fortunately for the consumer you know what you’re getting with Joe, he’s against pre-orders and shifty behind the scenes things like TB / Jim and won’t continually praise a game, shift blame and or glaze over the facts and play nice. Pretty much what I’ve seen from those being promoted and given a lot of spotlight lately by Anet or any other developer.

Won’t be for everyone, he does have his “Angry” moniker which he can play up to from time to time, but genuinely wants to see better games and better industry standards.

Algreg.3629

He like others will have frequent take down notices for his poor outlooks on games, whilst other videos will stay alive because they’re not negative. This happens to the likes of Total Biscuit and Jim Sterling too.

On what basis? There is absolutely no way a developer can act against a reviewer unless he qualifies for libel. Not to mention the public backlash of such an attempt which only the most incompetent PR person would ever try to pull off. I think these stories are myths and rumours created by their fanbase for the most part.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Lol no. I been following GW2 since before it was hyped up. I remember when it was a small page on GW1 wiki….

Posted by: Tomer.4098

Tomer.4098

Angry Joe:

your opinion is your opinion, I don’t agree, but I wont argue, but a thing I must mention, youtube pays ALLOT more than you think, youtubers who gets 100k+ views on everyday video, live very very well – economic wise at least.

Algreg.3629

Angry Joe:

your opinion is your opinion, I don’t agree, but I wont argue, but a thing I must mention, youtube pays ALLOT more than you think, youtubers who gets 100k+ views on everyday video, live very very well – economic wise at least.

not really, youtube pays pathetic prices for content, unless you get into their “partner programm” (sorry, forgot the official term). Maybe Angry Joe is in, no idea, but you are wrong on the general payout part.