How to start the flame and frost story?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

hope its not over, been downloading the game all day due to it the 1st patch of the day failing …

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

So it is over? 29.1 noon PST, as for time converter it was 15 minutes ago. I was logged yesterday evening at 10pm local time(11 hours back) and no mail,no nothing at dieasa plateu.
Now it is 9:15 am here in eastern europe. I am at work and be here for another 8 hours and now i read it is over?

Its not going to be over for months.

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

You mean Live Events as whole, but it is just serie of some quests. And those quests like these refugies, are time limited? Or will I be able to start this event this afternoon,lets say in about 7 hours when I go home from work?

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

Thanks for the feedback on the Living Story portion of Flame and Frost: Prelude. Here’s some context on how it works:

• The Flame and Frost story content progresses over time. You will not see everything today, tomorrow, or even the next day.
  • Expect subtle changes at first. Maybe you’ll encounter some familiar characters. Perhaps you’ll be introduced to some new ones. You might see a new structure where there wasn’t one before.
  • The Living Story content is initially about the thrill of discovery. We’ll put some markers on your map, maybe send you a letter, or parcel out details through certain characters, but the rest is up to you.
  • As the weeks progress, you’ll notice bigger changes in the world. New events may appear. Plots will advance and characters will develop.

As always, we welcome your opinions. This is a new thing we’re trying so we appreciate your patience and input.

Yes this is exactly what I need. Noon PST is 10 pm EET which means that when the event started I spent two hours wondering if anything would happen, and then logged off because I had to be up in 6 hours and ready for work.

The problem is that you guys are honestly horrible at conveying any important information. If it is known that the timespan for this event is days and not hours then please let us know it in advance.

You guys obviously know what is going on since you are developing the game but place yourself into our positions: we are not privy of any internal knowledge, we don’t have crystal balls that allow us to predict future, and most importantly a lot of us are not within PST timezone and have real life obligations that prevent us staying up all night wondering if something is going to happen.

It should be obvious to you that events are a huge thing and people want to join them. So far very few events have been dissapointing when it comes to content but what dissapoints me is the uncertainity of whether I’m going to miss something or not if I do not stay 24h in the game – which is obviously not possible.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I think that’s why people get antsy about these things. It’s not explained what the time limit for doing each stage is, or whether there even is a time limit. And after others received precursors for doing the Karka event, people get nervous they might be missing out on a similar reward. Again, because you’re not told what the reward for completing the activity will be.
Sure, the developers don’t want everyone to know every step of the process, taking the fun and surprise out of their work, but there do need to be some hard limits defined in order to keep people happy.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Thanks for the feedback on the Living Story portion of Flame and Frost: Prelude. Here’s some context on how it works:

• The Flame and Frost story content progresses over time. You will not see everything today, tomorrow, or even the next day.
  • Expect subtle changes at first. Maybe you’ll encounter some familiar characters. Perhaps you’ll be introduced to some new ones. You might see a new structure where there wasn’t one before.
  • The Living Story content is initially about the thrill of discovery. We’ll put some markers on your map, maybe send you a letter, or parcel out details through certain characters, but the rest is up to you.
  • As the weeks progress, you’ll notice bigger changes in the world. New events may appear. Plots will advance and characters will develop.

As always, we welcome your opinions. This is a new thing we’re trying so we appreciate your patience and input.

If it has to be explained (and it has so far, every time) is it really working?

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Make it to subtle and 80% of the server will never see your work. My feedback is that, clear indicators where to find new NPCs.

Posted by: Martinulus.1760

Martinulus.1760

I don’t know how events work on ANet’s end: do they manually flip a switch, or change some code, or just give in a timed switch about when the event kicks off? If it isn’t manual but actually an automatically timed thing, might it not be possible to have different starting times for the events on the American and European servers? That way, Europeans and Americans won’t get into trouble with their working hours and we might have a lot less complaining players here because they missed an event (of course, communicating a time window for event start would come in handy there too).

Personally, I enjoyed it, and I think the running around frantically shouting “where is the event” was time-consuming but absolutely worth it (might be because I consider the story rewarding in and of itself, I’ve been on WoW too and when I played that they didn’t do much like what you did last night). I was gripped by the storyline (I wonder what is going on was my first question to my guild members) and though the refugees being one-time activation only combined with me not noticing a full inventory gave me a headache, I had fun.

From what the heralds said, I guess some battle or other is going on in certain parts of the two zones, I guess I’ll have to check that out next.

Thanks a lot, looking forward to the rest of it.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

The earliest hint was that we would receive an in-game mail to let us know the refuge event had started. Hence many people, myself included, were worried when the mail didn’t show.
My observations. In Disseau there were no markers and no mail for some time. People were in chat and talking about the event but there was a lot of confusion. A new build was pushed through and I moved into Wayfarer Foothills just before this happened. When logging back in I saw the map markers and the refuges/signs were on the map. I got dc’ed and when I logged back on the mail was in my box.
I do believe some servers were experiencing issues. In my case there were no hints or markers showing. This was Blackgate server other’s servers may have been different.
People are worried they’ll miss out and try very hard to be online when these events go live. Being vague is fine for a flawless rollout. For some there wasn’t any visual indication that the events had started. For those people Anet should give a little reassurance that they won’t miss out. Simple fix and still not a spoiler for those that had no issues at all.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I just want to say that this is exactly what I’ve always wanted to see from MMO story content. I’m really looking forward to seeing how it works out.

One of my strongest MMO memories is from Final Fantasy XI, when the pre-expansion update for Chains of Promathia went live. My whole server was running across the world, hunting for the subtle things that had changed—a broken teleport crystal, a new cave filled with glowing mushrooms, an updated map—and it really did make the world feel like a living place.

Thank you for everything!

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I don’t know how events work on ANet’s end: do they manually flip a switch, or change some code, or just give in a timed switch about when the event kicks off? If it isn’t manual but actually an automatically timed thing, might it not be possible to have different starting times for the events on the American and European servers? That way, Europeans and Americans won’t get into trouble with their working hours and we might have a lot less complaining players here because they missed an event (of course, communicating a time window for event start would come in handy there too).

Dude, those are LONG TIME EVENTS, is that so hard to understand? It won’t simply stop tomorrow. It will progress, but you’ll probably be able to get the volunteer title for a longer period of time. They actually learned from the Karka event debacle, just see what they did with the christmas events.

We seem to have the most ungrateful community ever here. I LOVE how ANet handles this now, this is exactly my understanding of a living, developing world. Things just happen. The people who complain the most now probably want to grind Fractals all day long and just troll in for half an hour to gain a title and then go back to what they did before. That’s not how this is supposed to work. Finally stop complaining and play the game. You won’t miss anything important. In a dynamic, long time, world changing, chaotic event chain, nobody’s gonna tell you exactly what’s happening before it happens, and that’s how it should be.
GW2 finally turns into the MMO I expected, and I’m glad that I have the opportunity to witness how it evolves.

You guys really need to have a lot more open communication with your players.

Really? Check the dev tracker, blog and their videos. Even more communication and they won’t have any time left to actually fix and extend the game. GW2’s development process is neither democratic nor open source, they won’t tell us everything.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

Posted by: Martinulus.1760

Martinulus.1760

I would advise you to read my post. I am not one of those ungrateful types, in fact, I am immensely grateful. I was just making a humble and simple suggestion so as to stop people from trolling ANet like you thought I was doing.

Iruwen.3164

That wasn’t directed at you personally, hence the separate paragraphs.

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

You mean Live Events as whole, but it is just serie of some quests. And those quests like these refugies, are time limited? Or will I be able to start this event this afternoon,lets say in about 7 hours when I go home from work?

Don’t panic dude. So far the only “event” is building up refugee signs and campfires. Nothing exciting. Not missing anything.

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It would be a really smart idea to put this up on the overview in the “release” section. Not everyone will read the forum for this information.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

hope its not over, been downloading the game all day due to it the 1st patch of the day failing …

The first available content for this isn’t a quick event that is at a specific time. You haven’t missed anything. It is more along the lines of carving the pumpkins or making snowmen type achievement. It is there, it is available, and you can participate.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I remember that, but back then they didn’t have any company employees/representatives, etc. leading us on with extremely vague info, and as it turns out… mis-info. Things are supposed to start at a certain time, and at a certain place(s). I can understand the community getting downright filthy with Anet for NOT COMMUNICATING WITH US.

If you let out a teaser of info, be sure that the info is correct and that the event happens on time, and not the Anet philosophy of “when it’s ready”. That stance doesn’t wash well with MMO’ers.

Anet if you’re going to tell us bits and pieces, make sure they have enough detail to get us started and nothing that can be construed as confusing. You’ll have a lot happier customer base if you tell us either a lot about something (we want detail), or even nothing about it at all. But telling us a little about a little in your standard PR doublespeak is most annoying.

You guys really need to have a lot more open communication with your players.

Umm… Apparently you’ve never heard of a company named Blizzard… who currently has the largest subscription count of any p2p MMO, ever… whose mantra has always been, “We’ll release it WHEN IT’S READY.” And then still proceed to release things with bugs. Because it happens.

There’s another company that follows the doctrine of releasing things whether it’s ready or not. It’s called CCP. Try googling “EVE Online Walking in stations,” and see the debacle that happened.

Granted, communication could be better concerning other things, but as far as future content goes, there’s a reason they share SOME information, over time, but NOT everything.

You are quite right, I’ve heard of Blizzard but never played anything of their’s. I mean, should I have?

Have that mantra all you like, but that should not proclude you from communicating effectively with your player base. People don’t like being arsed about with PR-talk that explains nothing of detail.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

It is there, it is available, and you can participate.

And this is exactly what many people wanted to hear on forum because they cant from different reasons log into game for several hours.(work maybe?) So they can chill and wait until they are at home with a feeling they did not missed it, it is still there.
Thanks

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Check in with the heralds for updates.

There are hints of things to come already in the game.

The playable Living Story content will start appearing tomorrow (January 29) at around noon Pacific Time in Wayfarer Foothills. You will see refugees requiring your assistance along the path, around Breakneck Pass.

Later on that day, there will be events in Diessa Plateau. You’ll be sent an in-game mail letting you know about the events in Diessa Plateau. If you’re already logged in when that happens, you need to change maps to receive that message.

In Diessa Plateau, you will see refugees just north of the Black Citadel, and along the path north towards Wayfarer Foothills. You will see signs along some of the paths in the area.

EDIT: I apologize for the lack of clarity. I have updated the information above.

This clarified nothing. I have an ingame mail that sent me to The Grove. The heralds sent me to a refugee coordinator in Hoelbrek, who had no direction to send me to from there.

Wiki is zero help.

Or was this a one time only event that I missed because I was offline at the time?

Seriously, ArenaNet, haven’t we had this discussion before about previous content? I’m absolutely mystified. What is going on?

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Thank you for doing events like this. Like the Lost Shores event, many many people did not get to be a part of that because it was being done during the prime time. With the way you are doing this event now, everyone gets to enjoy the changes that happen over time no matter when their play time is.

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

Still no in-game emails about this. Have cleared all my older mails out, and have zoned multiple times. Has it started?

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

That, right there, is what should have been in the in-game mail that (some) people received. You don’t need to tell players everything, but you do need to tell them enough to set expectations.

I can’t count the number of people who didn’t even know the event had started yesterday. You guys have the tools to communicate with all players, but for some reason you just aren’t using them effectively.

Chuo.4238

I haven’t seen anything beyond a Herald and a Refugee Coordinator. Is that it, for now?

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

Well, to start flaming, you need to find a person and just start verbally harassing them in a threatening manner. Insult them over the littlest things.

To start frosting is a bit more difficult and confusing, but it involves cake!

In all jokes aside, it just kind of ‘happens’

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I haven’t seen anything beyond a Herald and a Refugee Coordinator. Is that it, for now?

Nope. Head to Wayfarer Hills or Diesssa Plateau, and help the refugees you find there. Give mementos from dead refugees to the memento collectors, /kneel or /bow to heal wounded refugees, light fires and fix signs. All this gives you points in the achievement. After you get the achievement, you get karma.

EDIT: Mechanics also need to be part of an official announcement. This is a game, people don’t know how it is supposed to work, and ANet has clearly shown that they’ll ban players for their own mistakes. So naturally people are a bit wary of leaving whatever game modes they know are safe and doing something a bit different.

Iruwen.3164

Well, to start flaming, you need to find a person and just start verbally harassing them in a threatening manner. Insult them over the littlest things.
To start frosting is a bit more difficult and confusing, but it involves cake!
In all jokes aside, it just kind of ‘happens’

I see what you did there… and I’m mildly amused

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

What I don’t understand is the in-game mail – why are some people receiving it and some not? I hope this isn’t working as intended. It makes people feel like something is broken.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Palleon.1657

Palleon.1657

Found this, which is a complete guide to the event as it stands at the moment.

Why Anet couldnt make something like this so everyone knew, I have no idea

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/29/gw2-living-story-refuge-volunteer-events-guide/

Chuo.4238

Nope. Head to Wayfarer Hills or Diesssa Plateau, and help the refugees you find there. Give mementos from dead refugees to the memento collectors, /kneel or /bow to heal wounded refugees, light fires and fix signs. All this gives you points in the achievement. After you get the achievement, you get karma.

EDIT: Mechanics also need to be part of an official announcement. This is a game, people don’t know how it is supposed to work, and ANet has clearly shown that they’ll ban players for their own mistakes. So naturally people are a bit wary of leaving whatever game modes they know are safe and doing something a bit different.

Thank you!

Edit: ArenaNet, when so many people have to go to 3rd party sites to be able to play your game (reddit, GW2LFG, etc), it should indicate something to you. Hire someone who knows how to manage projects.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: ThunderZtorm.3179

ThunderZtorm.3179

Yeah, it’s really sad that Anet expects that people are able to think for themselves anymore.

Why does everybody need to have their hands held through even the simplest of content? I really don’t understand it. I mean, seriously, I managed to find the special stuff just fine without anyone explicitly telling me THIS IS WHAT YOU DO AND HOW YOU DO IT.

Come on, people, work with that grey matter you have, it is really not that complicated and confusing to figure out.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

that all sounds pretty nice, but i’d still appreciate it if there was a clear way of knowing that something new has happened, even if it isn’t spelled out.

like, for example, if the heralds you just added have something new to tell my character, he could say something like “hey, have you heard the latest news?”. that way whenever i pass by a herald, i know if they have something new to tell me or not, which in turn avoids the redundancy of talking to them every other hour to see if they have new information or not.

of course, that would mean grabbing a couple of voice actors (or talented members of the staff looking for their 15 minutes of fame) and recording the line, but i think that for the sake of clarity, it would make the whole experience much better, without deviating from the “thrill of discovery” mentioned in your post.

just my two cents.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Wolfhammer.3140

Wolfhammer.3140

Hi,
How do you know you need 75 points??
I did some of the signs and checked bodies for the collectibles and turned them in, but I got no counter feedback to tell me hown many I’d done..

How do you see your total please???

SM – Gandarra

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Here is what I found so far. (In character.)

http://claypoolgazette.wordpress.com/

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Here is what I found so far. (In character.)

http://claypoolgazette.wordpress.com/

Nice work, and nice blog! That’s pretty awesome.

Also, to see your total, just go into the achievement panel under “Hero”; you’ll see your total needed under “Living Story”.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: awesomesauce.5980

awesomesauce.5980

For Heralds, there is a surprising lack of voice acting going on.

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

please involve maybe quest markers, such as the Green ones for the storyline missions. unless you find them, the gold ones do not show up on the map.

or maybe use the Event arrows and circle combos to point the way. also, maybe a tracking thing for the in game mail characters get – when they open to read the email, there could be maybe a “track this quest” type thing. in any case, thanks for getting me back into these areas! (idea working as intended)

> i wish the refugees could just tell me about what ails them – asking about the weather all the time doesn’t seem fitting there.

(edited by rgrwng.4072)

Posted by: Eddard.2930

Eddard.2930

I hate to say this but it would be good to drop a hint like this (even if it is more subtle than what you have said above) before the “event” starts, especially if it it going to start off with “subtle” changes (I’m pretty thick).

Unless you already did drop the hints someplace that I can’t or haven’t found.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming like the people in his car.

Posted by: Yenkin.5410

Yenkin.5410

I hope so, I decided to check it out and found that the only thing going on was able to do volunteer acheivements, Like Put up signs, collect something off of dead refugees, ignite fiire and help wounded refugees, all add to to the acheivement, but no experiance from helping. So I am not sure how the progression is going to work at this point as so far I am not convinced to waste my time helping for no reward.

But time will tell the bigger picture.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Feedback: This sounds awesome! I love the idea of gradual changes that are truly world-changing. It’s a great way to keep Tyria dynamic without players missing out by not being available at a specific time. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

Hi,
How do you know you need 75 points??
I did some of the signs and checked bodies for the collectibles and turned them in, but I got no counter feedback to tell me hown many I’d done..

How do you see your total please???

Open your Hero Panel (by pressing H,) look in your achievements, and click on Living Story. It shows you how much you have done, and how many more to advance.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

For Heralds, there is a surprising lack of voice acting going on.

Well, the one in LA simply shouts “Hey, over here!” to get your attention.

Very pragmatic and Charr-like.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Yeah, it’s really sad that Anet expects that people are able to think for themselves anymore.

Why does everybody need to have their hands held through even the simplest of content? I really don’t understand it. I mean, seriously, I managed to find the special stuff just fine without anyone explicitly telling me THIS IS WHAT YOU DO AND HOW YOU DO IT.

Come on, people, work with that grey matter you have, it is really not that complicated and confusing to figure out.

except you can’t in games. Thinking for yourself means nothing when you don’t know if the next step is in the game yet, or hidden.
You can not as a player tell the difference between a bug, a hidden aspect you haven’t found yet, or something not being in game at all yet.
There is no way to tell the difference between player error or dev error.

I got a thing saying Dissidia. but there was NOTHING in Dissidia. I had to go to wayfarers, because players said so. Then we have stars which shows us some stuff… And then… without Anet exspressely saying, the next step is not in game yet. how long do you think people would have been there looking for step 2 that doesn’t exist?

Breadcrumbs can work. But you better be VERY sure on the dev end, its working 100%, and doesn’t just leave players looking for breadcrumbs that are wrong or don’t exist.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I went into Diessa Plateau and Wayfarers, wandered the roads and found refugees to help and escort, signs to rebuild and, if you look carefully, you can find dead refugees along the roadways or items they dropped along the way. Collect those items and take them to the various camps where you see a yellow star. The memento collector would like to have them. Wasn’t hard to get the Volunteer reward. I even found a few storms starting and helped deal with those, so now waiting for what else shows up.

I am glad this was not spoonfed to us. Took a bit of effort but enjoyed doing it.

Posted by: AmIAnnoyingNow.2903

AmIAnnoyingNow.2903

I’m pretty sure the whole idea is to have the playerbase figure things out and talk about it with eachother. This encourages exploring and discovering new things, which is a much better feeling than receiving any event reward.

Pretty much every event or piece of information that gets discovered will be posted on the gw2 reddit about 3-5 minutes later. So just follow that if you’re worried.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

What AmlAnnoyingNow said!

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

It’s very deceptive calling this a living story, as if your actions make one wit of difference to a living world. This all just more instanced scripts, stuff that vanishes or resets the moment you complete it. It makes absolutely no difference to Tyria one way or the other. We have seen this all before, mobs take over outpost, timer clicks, outpost reverts back not being occupied. The fact that you liberated it once or a thousand times, is irrelevant. It’s all just tons of little compartmentalized instances that always reset. That or some spots are in infinite contention. You win it, go to sleep, it reverts, ad nauseum.

I have got to say whoever writes the talking points for this marketing effort has been working overtime. “Living Story” that’s rich. It’s as silly as continuing to refer to that rail ride of episodes after Treefern takes over as your “Personal Story.”

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

(edited by Jalad Lantana.3027)

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

What’s funny is, I’ve always wondered how it would be in an MMO if the world changed without a formal announcement. One of the biggest draws to any online game is the feeling that the game world is persistent and not dependent on the player to exist… seemed that it would make the world feel more alive if things changed on occasion without a “Be here at such & such a time to witness event X”… and it almost works. Too bad people are kittening so much! This could be kind of a cool thing.

Only problem is, after the Karka event, everybody is scared they’re going to miss the best opportunity they’ll have at getting a precursor this year, because the rewards were so out of proportion to the rest of the game for that specific event.