I demand more skimpy male armour

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mondello.2940

mondello.2940

I think the whole idea that female characters have skimpier armour than guys is unfair tbh. I think there should be an option where no matter what gender your playing as you can choose between the female look and the more male look for every piece of armour that has a difference between male and females.
For example: the winged armour set on guys looks so boring and drab, but it looks amazing on girls. The same with the pheonix set.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I suppose it’s fair to give males, especially human males, something skimpy. I don’t know how many would actually want their dude characters skimpy, but at least it would be good for laughs.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: mondello.2940

mondello.2940

I suppose it’s fair to give males, especially human males, something skimpy. I don’t know how many would actually want their dude characters skimpy, but at least it would be good for laughs.

thats assuming only guys or at least heterosexual guys are playing guy characters :P

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

I would really appreciate it if I could get more of a variety of female armor that wasn’t skimpy.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I would really appreciate it if I could get more of a variety of female armor that wasn’t skimpy.

Take it to another thread, ma’am/sir.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I wouldn’t buy/wear them myself, but I always support more cosmetic options for players, so /signed.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I would like armor that shows the glow on my male ranger and if I had a male Norn or a male Charr I would like to show off the tattoos and fur. Some armor on some professions (heavy mostly) allow this but it’s hard to find one in light or medium that displays the chest or arms on a male.

It’s not always males who have male chars and it’s not always skimpy just to be skimpy.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Skimpy armors need to be abolished. Noone in their right mind would fight with skimpy armor. Especially not heavy armor.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

Noone in their right mind would fight with a sword against rifles. Want to abolish sword too ?

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

I would like some truly barbaric armor sets. Or some armors that show off my warriors upper arms.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Noone in their right mind would fight with a sword against rifles. Want to abolish sword too ?

The rifles in GW2 are weak with very low velocity projectiles. I can totally see heavy armor standing a chance against it. If anything someone with a greatsword should decapitate everyone who doesnt wear appropriate armor. And Asura should do less damage than Charr and Norn.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Ehh, bringing realism into a game is a real catch-22 situation. You’d have players demanding that Warriors/Guardians should move at half the speed of medium/light armor wearers, for one thing.

I’m happy to just let people wear what they want, and have every class/race balanced for game purposes, and just handwave the logical inconsistencies.

Astral Projections.7320

Skimpy armors need to be abolished. Noone in their right mind would fight with skimpy armor. Especially not heavy armor.

You just don’t understand how armor works on women.
http://www.geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=1878

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t see why not. I think it should be fair game for both character genders.

I don’t even understand where this comes from with GW2. This game is so unbelievably tame when it comes to skimpy armor. If you want to see real skimpy, go check out Tera for a day. Or go play Rift, where you can turn off all your armor in wardrobe and run around in underwear.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

well that logic should be left at the door if you see a human female with noodle arms swinging a sword the size of a coffin like its a kitchen knive or a garden gnome sized asura throwing a rock his\her size 30 feet or the lovechild of a viking and the hulk doing ninja like leaps and stealth while a 330 lbs 4 horned, 4 eared cat ogre lets clones of him\her explode into butterflys.

As for the skimpy armors…well might aswell give males skimpy armor too.. female (human like races) already swim in it, i sometimes seriosly cant tell a mesmer from a warrior if they both carry GS without clicking on them so whats the harm. Some sleeveless breastplate, maybe some roman style armor bottoms and sandals with shin armor…or just a bit of a fur shrug with chains for the chest or something… i could see that working quite well. Though id first branch out for some more class specific (designed) armors (and not freaking costumes, finally split this darn things or sell a skin pack version too!!!) before polishing up the inventory with stuff like this. But yea.. sure i am for “skimpy” male armor. Especially norns, sylvari and charr will appreciate it (for tattoos, glowy stuff and furs) and whoever else wants it of course

Posted by: Scynte.1340

Scynte.1340

Charr could stand to get more ‘skimpy’ armor sets, in general. They definitely need more leg armors with subligaria (for all armor classes), at the very least. Pants luck ridiculous on charr. Tights are even worse.

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

I would approve of more skimpy male armour because it would mean more skimpy charr armour (even if the textures are stretched to hell).

Noone in their right mind would fight with a sword against rifles.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riposte + http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Missile_Deflection

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

Astral Projections.7320

Charr could stand to get more ‘skimpy’ armor sets, in general. They definitely need more leg armors with subligaria (for all armor classes), at the very least. Pants luck ridiculous on charr. Tights are even worse.

It’s awful. Most light armor on Charr is skirts or pants with panels hanging down. Everytime my Charr ran with that stuff hanging down in front of her hind legs, I couldn’t imagine how she didn’t get all tangled up in it. I finally found one pair of light pants. Charr look ridiculous in pants also but it’s better than a skirt.

Guild Wars 1 Charr in armor of that time. (Not a skirt!)

Attachments:

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

No, true equality demands burqas for everybody, regardless of sex!

Basaltface.2786

No, true equality demands burqas for everybody, regardless of sex!

as long as i can colour it white and pretend to be a ghost im totally alright with it

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Would have to create another thread titled: “Please Get Rid of Hobo Sacks!”. Though it would take on a drastically different meaning.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

+1 to OP. Definitely something that would be good.

Also +1 to the person wanting fewer skimpy female sets.

Perhaps if all the new armour sets (you know. the ‘new armour sets’) were skimpy for males, but covered-up for females, it would offset the current imbalance.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Doubling the available armor models would be a TON of additional work, I would rather they spend the time working on new armor models, even though there are several models that I would prefer to be available on alt genders (for example my female charr would like to be able to wear the female Phoenix armor rather than the boring male version).

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Lady Elvea.2847

Lady Elvea.2847

Be careful what you wish for. ANet seems to only have two choices: super skimpy or extremely conservative.

I’d personally like to see a few more sets somewhere in the middle.

But yes- if the female version of a set is extremely skimpy, then the male version of a set should be similar.

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

+1 to OP. Definitely something that would be good.

Also +1 to the person wanting fewer skimpy female sets.

Perhaps if all the new armour sets (you know. the ‘new armour sets’) were skimpy for males, but covered-up for females, it would offset the current imbalance.

+1 from me too.

I’m not against sexualized designs unless they’re sexualized for both genders. Problem is, skimpy female armour is simply to be ogled on and skimpy male armour just makes males more heroic. In my opinion, “sexy male armour” just doesn’t exist.

On the example of my “favourite” Phalanx armour (which I wear on both fem asura and fem human guardians) – I just think that male variant is far more superior and cool and I’d like to see it for female human/sylvari/norn too.

I also miss my Dapper Tuxedo. Also posting this again before this topic will be closed and removed like all the others.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

(edited by Marge.4035)

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I’d like some Shirtless choices for Males and more Trousers /signed

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

I just want tribal armor back. Reminds me of my old rit):

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

+100 to this thread!! Sexy/revealing/non skirt-dress options for men please!

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

as long as the game dont turn in an transvestite or drag queen clown show i would not care

Ohoni.6057

Problem is, skimpy female armour is simply to be ogled on and skimpy male armour just makes males more heroic. In my opinion, “sexy male armour” just doesn’t exist.

No, -1. The whole “skin on a lady is demeaning, skin on a male is heroic” argument is nonsense. Skin is skin. If anything skin on a male is more demeaning, since real life male clothing typically covers more skin than female clothing, so it is even more of an exaggeration. You can argue that you want more female outfits that are less sexy, personally I’d like to see more skirts that are above the knee but below the starter light skirt, but don’t try to make it out to be some sort of double standard thing.

done by now.”

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

as long as the game dont turn in an transvestite or drag queen clown show i would not care

Have you seen Twilight Arbor light armour? That is an outfit worthy of a Drag Clown show.

eyestrain.3056

Problem is, skimpy female armour is simply to be ogled on and skimpy male armour just makes males more heroic. In my opinion, “sexy male armour” just doesn’t exist.

No, -1. The whole “skin on a lady is demeaning, skin on a male is heroic” argument is nonsense. Skin is skin. If anything skin on a male is more demeaning, since real life male clothing typically covers more skin than female clothing, so it is even more of an exaggeration. You can argue that you want more female outfits that are less sexy, personally I’d like to see more skirts that are above the knee but below the starter light skirt, but don’t try to make it out to be some sort of double standard thing.

I’ve seen this trending lately and it’s pretty relevant to the argument… nsfw:
https://twitter.com/yesallwomen/status/510516783686877184

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

I wouldn’t mind a bit more sex appeal to the male costumes. Where are their harem outfits? An appropriate male version of the embroidered light armour should be completely shirtless with upper arm bracelets and the same pants and shoes.

Why are all the pretty GW2 men so shy? We need to see more!

Also it’s a crying shame that our options are 1890s schoolmarm or venice courtesan when it comes to female armor. I quite like the aetherblade armor for the bit of steampunk they have going on there and the fact that my poor salad ele doesn’t look like a little girl playing dress-up in her mom’s lingerie, but for the love of all that is holy, there isn’t enough cloth in the light fire skin to make a baby blanket, let alone armor for a whole actual person

Also all hail the extreme gorgeousness of the TA lady light skin, despite the boob claws, and the winged set, which is also awesome.

Ohoni.6057

Yeah, that’s the sort of hyperbolic argument that completely destroys any credibility you might have on the topic. For one, it’s over the top. The female equivalent would be one of those shoestring thongs, the kind that is a shoestring on both sides, and I haven’t yet seen one of those in any game. If he’d just been wearing a speedo then that would have been more fair, and I have seen outfits along those lines in games.

The second reason is because in real life, on average, women do show more skin than men. Sorry, but it’s true. Women are more likely to wear skirts than men are to wear shorts, more likely to leave arms bare, or have a deeper neckline or exposed back. So while there should be plenty of options for a more modest look, and in GW2 there are dozens, on average there should be more skin on female costumes than on male, and that’s not sexist, it’s just reflective of realistic fashion trends.

done by now.”

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

it’s just reflective of realistic fashion trends.

My clothes are on fire. 90% of male outfits involve some sort of skirt.

I think it’s safe to say we can ignore “realistic fashion trends.” Unless you want to introduce t-shirts and skinny jeans, which I wouldn’t mind at all.

eyestrain.3056

Gonna go ahead and make the safe guess that regardless of gender, the skirts and shorts come out when it’s hot and go away when it’s cold for the vast majority of people.

From a google search for Scarlet Blade, a korean mmorpg – nsfw:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/232/4/5/scarlet_blade_roster_by_ah_lone-d6ixzfh.jpg

Ohoni.6057

My clothes are on fire. 90% of male outfits involve some sort of skirt.

I think it’s safe to say we can ignore “realistic fashion trends.” Unless you want to introduce t-shirts and skinny jeans, which I wouldn’t mind at all.

It’s all relative. I’m not saying that GW2 fashions ARE clothes that real people wear, I’m saying that the design aesthetics are influenced by real life fashion, there are parallels. The balance of skin vs. cloth is similar to the real life balance, there are more male pants and female skirts, that sort of thing.

The point is, in the real world, if you pick 100 random men and 100 random women, the female side will tend to display a bit more skin than the male side, especially if we’re talking high fashion , so it stands to reason that, on average, female outfits in the game should show more skin than male ones, and there’s nothing wrong with that. If you don’t personally want your own character to show a lot of skin, then don’t. My female Sylvari Warrior is covered from the neck down, and that’s only because I make her helmet invisible, otherwise she’d be airtight.

I too would like shorts though, they added shorts as town clothes at one point, but I’d kill (plenty of mobs) to get a pair I could wear in combat on my Norn Necro.

From a google search for Scarlet Blade, a korean mmorpg – nsfw:

No point in bringing up Scarlet Blade, it wears its sexploitation on its sleeve and there is nothing to shame there. It is in no way relevant to a discussion of GW2.

done by now.”

eyestrain.3056

Yeah, that’s the sort of hyperbolic argument that completely destroys any credibility you might have on the topic. For one, it’s over the top. The female equivalent would be one of those shoestring thongs, the kind that is a shoestring on both sides, and I haven’t yet seen one of those in any game.

No point in bringing up Scarlet Blade, it wears its sexploitation on its sleeve and there is nothing to shame there. It is in no way relevant to a discussion of GW2.

Ok, Tera came to mind right away too – NSFW: http://images.mmosite.com/my/upload/d5/70/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/theme/e00e6ad2a01742af8c9a38a40b46fa5d54.png

I am being pretty lazy though, 4:30am. I was actually trying to reply to this quote specifically:

But I can’t find who originally said it or the context to know if they meant ‘there is no such thing as sexy male armor’ or if they simply meant there isn’t any in gw2 (which i agree). If they meant the latter forgive me for the bad reading comprehension, i will see myself off to bed.
The point of my response was just that there obviously is “sexy male armor”, and there’s a big difference between “powerfully under-dressed” and “puttin the goods on display”. Obviously such an outfit is ridiculous and maybe uncomfortable for people not sexually attracted to men (just like people not into women that way may find the existing revealing armor disconcerting, but there are a million excuses for why those people shouldn’t feel uncomfortable and inevitably someone will raise a fuss that it’s been brought up at all). It is as you said, a double standard.

A great example of how to make things better imo is FFXIV. Yeah the armor is revealing and sexualized but both fans of men and women’s bodies can enjoy the view.
nsfw? http://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/images/7/78/Ffxiv_09092013_213323.png

http://cdn4.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/FFXIV_Equality_001-670x376.jpg?8cfc20

(edited by eyestrain.3056)

Ohoni.6057

Ok, Tera came to mind right away too –

I really hate to tell you, but Tera isn’t GW2 either.

done by now.”

eyestrain.3056

Yeah, that’s the sort of hyperbolic argument that completely destroys any credibility you might have on the topic. For one, it’s over the top. The female equivalent would be one of those shoestring thongs, the kind that is a shoestring on both sides, and I haven’t yet seen one of those in any game.

I thought quoting it twice would make it clear what I was posting the exaggerated images in response to. Hope the emphasis helps clear it up.
ps- i even mis-read that as “in any mmo”. If any game is allowed I think I might get banned if I were to try linking some female armors.

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

Just more choices period. Skimpy. Not skimpy. Heavily armored. All races, classes, and gender.

More.

Leo G.4501

I’m not against sexualized designs unless they’re sexualized for both genders. Problem is, skimpy female armour is simply to be ogled on and skimpy male armour just makes males more heroic. In my opinion, “sexy male armour” just doesn’t exist.

That sounds like a personal problem. I won’t call you sexist, since that’s pretty much the basis of what being sexist is: discrimination of gender. But I think that’s overstepping things.

Again, if you can’t see a male wearing any article of clothing and see it as sexy in some way, that seems like a personal viewpoint…

…but on the other hand, usually men seen as heroic, brave and powerful are often perceived as attractive, manly and even sexy. So in a subtle way, you do see certain armor as physically attractive.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

Leo G.4501

That’s the reason it probably would never happen…it’s nsfw.

If things change so you can have people wearing kittensleeves and kittenbags on TV, movies, etc. I doubt men will feel ‘demeaned’ or whatever. Most guys would just laugh and/or not play that game (plenty of Mario for everyone). The whole ‘wish I were packin’ and ‘wish I were cut’ already exists so that wouldn’t change.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I can’t resist any longer…

I demand more armors…..
……..available through regular game play….
…….not the gem store…….
period.

Male. Female. Skimpy. Non Skimpy. GIMME!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

Aren’t most skimpy heavy armour sets skimpy for both males and females, except that they show the chest for the men and the belly for the women?

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

The armours in GW2…at least a majority of them isn’t that skimpy. You have plenty of armour variety that will make you look classy. (I know, because I have literally 8 female characters, different races and classes).

About the skimpy male armour – I guess it’s fair? XD Kind of scary, but fair.
I always wanted the ability to hide any armour part. That would be great.

Basaltface.2786

The armours in GW2…at least a majority of them isn’t that skimpy. You have plenty of armour variety that will make you look classy. (I know, because I have literally 8 female characters, different races and classes).

scary? I really dont think so.

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/47/640x543_9306_Gladiator_Full_3d_fantasy_armor_warrior_anatomy_gladiator_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Posted by: sishbob.3987

sishbob.3987

If I do not get a skimpy skin that is dedicated to Channing Tatum and Magic Mike, I will not be happy.

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/47/640x543_9306_Gladiator_Full_3d_fantasy_armor_warrior_anatomy_gladiator_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

But we already have 3 similar sets like that. Gladiator, Pit Fighter and Barbaric.

Basaltface.2786

But we already have 3 similar sets like that. Gladiator, Pit Fighter and Barbaric.

is like i would say there is only one (two if you wanna stretch it) clearly engineer related armors in game. The more the better imo. More armors for everybody, every taste and style Keeps stuff fresh ya know