The New Dailies -- Feedback welcome

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the three achievements needed for the daily, and it gives a free 10 AP, instead of grinding 10 achievements to get the 10 daily AP. Are we seriously kittening about simplified dailies that take less time?

No, as for me personally, I am kittening about the fact that there are less choices for the players, in yet another attempt by Anet to force players into other parts of the game. Oh, that and the devaluing of actually earned rewards by this bullkitten “here’s a trophy for showing up” reward. And by the way, no one forced people to grind all the way to get 10 APs, that was the player’s choice to do so or not. And they were earned if they did it, you still earn them you just have to do a lot less to get the same.

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

Logged in looked at the Crap logged back out. Total BS here to have to do. Sorry but Trash update is just that Trash. I always enjoyed doing my dailies not now.

Lyssan.3768

Really. They’ve been out for a DAY. Less, actually. How can you have formed an opinion on this day-by-day feature when it hasn’t even existed for a day? After completing my Maguuma Forager daily, I got a bag of cooking goodies. I killed the Caledon Wurm as usual and got even more loot.

The dailies now reward you even if you don’t meet the Daily meta-achievement. The only reason you’d need to complete 3 is to get the 10 achievement points. If you’re an AP grinder, you were doing way more than this in the old Daily system for less rewards.

As for negative aspects, the biggest one I can see from my single day of experiencing the new system is that it’s made all the whiny, self-entitled people rear back up after they were ignored in the April update. The Queensdale events daily brought back traumatic memories of level 80s dominating the starting zones in the days before the train was put down.

Overall, this is a positive change, on day 1, at least. Once all the grouches “give up on GW2” again, the rest of us can enjoy our new dailies and be rewarded more for doing much less grinding.

Actually, I formed my opinion based on the screen shot they posted with the news previously, and had that opinion confirmed by the actual working of it, and my issues with it has not changed, and in fact has grown more valid.

Less options is the issue, and of the less options, more specific ones. So once again, we see the attitude that “well you don’t see things how I do so you are (in this case) whiny and self-entitled” even though many prefer doing the work to achieve an actually earned award for our efforts, and have an issue with some of those choices being taken away in an attempt to force others into another area of the game. So while we are the ones who want more options to help more people, we are apparently “whiny and self-entitled”, and somehow the people who want to do less effort are not.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I reckon the change is awesome, boggles my mind (okay not really) that people are actually complaining about a system that requires less work and more rewards. Then again some people just like to complain.

It boggles my mind that people don’t bother to read the constructive criticism being offered by posters here and instead assume wrongly they understand said criticism, then complain about other people complaining.

How was I complaining? It was pretty clearly an observation backed up by any number of threads in this forum. Your argument here essentially amounts to “no u r”.

I read it, but casuals complaining about the same minor things over and over gets tiresome and I admittedly already have a low threshold for such things.

Today’s daily 10 AP can be completed by competing in one sPvP match as a guardian or necro (and by not being completely hopeless/afking the whole time). So then the argument comes: “Well some of us don’t like sPvP”. Firstly, I’ll acknowledge the irony, given that sPvP & WvW players have waaaaaay more issues of being locked out of content than PVErs ever have or will have. Secondly, if you don’t like sPvP to the point where you can’t play it at all (or WvW or PVE), then you are making the choice to lock yourself out of content. This is why there are achievements for each game-mode.

I somewhat agree with some of the issues raised; the PVE options could probably do with some work. I’d still argue though that these individual achievements have much better rewards than previous so that any extra “effort” that is required for the really tough achievements like to view a vista that you’re being duly compensated with improved rewards.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

It’s okay guys, ANet heard your complaints and will add more “achievements” to choose from!

• Go to Queensdale and yell “I LOVE ANET!!” in map chat. Additional Writ of Experience for extra exclamation points
  • Open up any crafting window and stare at it for 5 minutes. Blinking not allowed.
  • Mail 1 copper to someone not on your friend’s list. Bonus karma if they reply to you in all caps
  • Go to any enemy in PvP or WvW and mash your skills 1234567890 in order. Extra reward track progress if it downs them
Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Lyssan.3768

It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the three achievements needed for the daily, and it gives a free 10 AP, instead of grinding 10 achievements to get the 10 daily AP. Are we seriously kittening about simplified dailies that take less time?

They don’t take less time. That’s the point. Every minute of doing them is a minute playing content i wouldn’t have been doing otherwise, while the previous dailies (excluding WvW/PvP specific) all could have been done doing things that I wanted. And i still got more AP on monthly basis than i will get now.

So you’re saying it takes more time to do 3 achievements compared to 5? You’re also saying it takes more time to do achievement that now require you to do less than they used to such as gathered?

The time that it takes out of your personal time is a matter of personal preference and does not dispute that doing the daily now takes less time and even less time to get 10 AP than before.

In some cases yes it actually does take more time, depending on the specifics of the item. Like say, doing the fire elemental event in PvE. Plus having to jump all over the map, instead of being able to do almost every single daily item you feel like doing on one map as you work on your own thing.

As far as getting the 10 AP, that presumes that everybody was trying to always get to the 10 point daily cap every time. I never worried about that part, so while that part may be true, it has no value either for or against.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

As for the lack of laurels

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Login_rewards

Totals

Excluding the Chest of Loyalty, a full cycle will yield the following total rewards:

35 laurels

Chest of Loyalty: One of the choices is 20 laurels.

~~~

So there’s a potential to receive 55 laurels in 28 days.

I suppose Anet could have been more clear in their blog (and have released it earlier) about this upcoming update that laurels will not be rewarded as frequently so that people could prepare. However once again I think this problem is more than made up for by allowing us to receive an extra 15 laurels in the same time period.

This is just for logging in once a day, mind you…

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

(edited by Amurond.4590)

Posted by: Halthur.9654

Halthur.9654

And I have stated a couple of times already. I personally was using the dailies for my alts exp.
And now you have two of them, Fractles & Silver Wastes, that would need a level 80 to do. When previously, it didn’t matter what level you were at, you could complete the dailies.

Yes, yes, I could log on to one of my level 80’s to get either of those. But how about new players that do not have a level 80 yet, and they don’t like going to WvW to get slaughtered. Have you thought about them?

And please do not even go there with the sPvP & WvW. I’m one of those people that absolutely detests PvP.

ANet 2012 – Play how you want to play.

ANet 2014 – Play how we tell you to play.

Lyssan.3768

If you’re intent on only doing PvE, then you’ve got a self-imposed restriction that is making it more difficult than it needs to be for you.

I’m not going to speak against this new system until I tried it. However, I never agree with the content cross references.

It’s a bit like telling a MYST player to go play Call of Duty because it builds character.

Not everyone feels like doing competitive things every day. I personally enjoy PvP more when I don’t have to do it.

The thing is though, the entire point of dailies is to incentivize players to participate in different content. They weren’t very good at doing that before, so this change improves their ability to perform their purpose at the cost of removing the ease at which they were formerly completed (the ease which was the main reason they didn’t achieve their purpose).

Sorry but having to go to Queensdale and follow/ protect the pack bull or gathing plants in the jungle(for example)are nothing but forced manipulation by Anet to complete mediocre activites that that take you away from the game you wish to play.
Of course they are optional, but thats not the point.

Then don’t do them? All you’re losing out on is AP and if AP mattered to you then I’d be surprised that you wouldn’t jump at the fact you get 10 AP for much less work than what was required before.

Let’s see. Doing dailies as an added benefit of doing the game how we wanted to, and now have to go through all this hassle to do them, and because you have no valid refute to it, you pull out the AP argument as if that were the only issue. Once again you miss the point, and I am tempted to think you couldn’t hit a cow with a barn.

The issue is that Anet is taking away choices in an attempt to force people into other things. The same method is used all the time other places, make one thing such a hassle or so expensive (as the case may be) that people who previously would have done that thing will either go do another option that you are trying to force them into, or stop doing anything whatsoever related.

Simple solution that, even though you might refuse to see it, is restore the options and let the players decide what they want to do. If Anet feels the need to cap the awarded achievement points for dailies and monthlies, they can do so. This solution not only doesn’t hurt you, but can benefit even you as well.

Lyssan.3768

Let’s see:

4 events in Silverwastes = maybe 8-10 minutes or so, since there’s always an event happening
Vista in Ascalon = Maybe 2 minutes at the most / more likely 30 seconds
Gathering wood = Probably around 5 minutes worst case scenario

Being forced to jump all over the map to get the 3 dailies you have listed, (which is an even better trick if you are a new player just starting and have no clue how to get to Silverwastes never mind the ability to actually survive 4 events there) = Priceless

Dave.2536

I personally was using the dailies for my alts exp.

Assuming you did all 8 non-WvW/PvP dailies on your alt you’d have gotten 40% of a level (5% of a level per daily completion). Over 28 days that would be 11.2 levels with you doing every single PvE daily.

Now logging in every day for 28 days gets you 10 levels worth of tomes. I suspect you can pick even more tomes with the 28th day bonus.

I have my issues with this change, but experience for your alts should be the least of your worries.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Queensdale was pretty much clear cut tonight.

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Is there any purpose in doing these dailies now? Rewards are pure trash. Not even 1 laurel for completing it? Lacks purpose. Very poorly thought out. I guess the best rewards are just login and logout. LOL.

-S o S-

Halthur.9654

I personally was using the dailies for my alts exp.

Assuming you did all 8 non-WvW/PvP dailies on your alt you’d have gotten 40% of a level (5% of a level per daily completion). Over 28 days that would be 11.2 levels with you doing every single PvE daily.

Now logging in every day for 28 days gets you 10 levels worth of tomes. I suspect you can pick even more tomes with the 28th day bonus.

I have my issues with this change, but experience for your alts should be the least of your worries.

Nice nitpicking 1 line out of a post, now how about refuting the rest of it.
Oh, that’s right, you go after the part of what I was personally using the dailies for.

Now refute the choices given for PvE for today, that anyone at any level could complete them, like they could prior to this fiasco.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

inb4 new players @ lowbie zone complaining they can’t play normally when dailies are directed @ that zone.
Wait, wasn’t that the excuse for Queensdale farm train nerf? lol

Lyssan.3768

The only reason people don’t like the new dailies is because you need to do effort on them. Previously no one really cared because dailies didn’t entail anything.

They turned from meaningless activities you would do anyway, to an activity you could choose to do. Which means in the latter there is more "meaning"to do them, and you need to allocate time to do them.

Personally I don’t think it’s such a bad change. Then again I never had a problem with any areas in the game too much, and these dailies are simple enough. Plus we get the rewards from just logging in now anyway.

Thank you for being yet another person that misses the point. The issue is not the effort involved. If we were worried about it alone, there would not be so much kittening. The issue is Anet’s attempt once again to force people into other areas of the game by limiting the choices of how they play. But it is funny that you bring up that particular point, as I personally take issue with the achievement points being devalued by people now doing less effort to get them.

Their solution to make more people want to play is apparently take away more choices on how to do things, and not add more options for people, to let THEM choose how they play.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I did the dailies today and i think they are better than the previous ones. Sure I have to do a couple odd things I normally would never do, but it beats the heck out of doing the 10 that would be required for the 10ap before. It only took me like 20 mins to get more ap and rewards for the same amount of time it would have taken me previously.
If you’re into collecting ap, this is hardly a mark on the time it takes to do most other achievements in the game.

I play a lot of WoW and this is nothing compared to the things I have to do daily/weekly(like ashran conquest).

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I held my commentary until I actually saw the system in-game. I don’t like it at all. Looking at the choices for today, there were only two I’d consider doing. Dailies used to be earned easily in normal game play; now you almost certainly have to go out of your way and jump through hoops to do them. What’s fun about that? It isn’t “stimulating” to go to maps I don’t like or participate in things I don’t like to do.

I just keep wondering what happened to GW2’s original guiding manifesto: “Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.” (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/)

I also wonder what happened to “Is it Fun? …how ArenaNet Measures Success”
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success/)

I used to enjoy spending time in GW2, attaining the rewards I wanted naturally as I explored the game, but it seems as if each new patch is determined to ruin the things I once enjoyed about the core game by continually narrowing my options and taking away the fun.

^ This can’t be restated enough! ArenaNet is constantly making changes that force everyone to play this game the way ArenaNet believes we should be playing this game.

Dave.2536

Oh, that’s right, you go after the part of what I was personally using the dailies for.

Now refute the choices given for PvE for today, that anyone at any level could complete them, like they could prior to this fiasco.

Did you not read my own post in this thread just a few posts above yours?

I addressed the one concern of yours that should not be a concern.

As far as the rest, I feel like you’re picking a fight with the wrong person right now.

Lyssan.3768

While they could really use more options, I think it’s a good change.

Now, you only have to complete your dailies if you want AP. Previously if you didn’t complete them, you’d get no laurel and begrudgingly do the ones to get it. Since AP from dailies is capped, there will reach a point where you don’t need to complete them at all, but you can choose to do whatever dailies you want for a reward, rather than having it count for nothing, or just count for a silly 1 AP.

Also, the rewards from some individual dailies might even be better than the old completion… I got a few omnomnomberries from one of them.

You didn’t “have” to do the dailies before, sometimes you got them anyway was an added bonus just from playing the game. They could have capped AP just as easily as putting this bullkitten system into place, I suspect with less effort on their end. The main issue, as it has always been for me, is give the players MORE choices, let them decide how they want to play, not try to force them into certain things or areas of the game they might not be interested in.

Posted by: maklor.1374

maklor.1374

I hate this. I wasted two hours in a failed fractal (my first), didn’t want to do Silverwastes as I have not completed the first part of Season 2. Went into WvW but go not result there either. So a daily that I got while playing the way I want used to take an hour. Today I spent 3 hours and didn’t achieve it. And I was annoyed that I had to go where directed.

It’s probably great for the pvp and wvw guys, and that is great. But what about the pve guys? Massive step backwards. Total fail; it has really demotivated me to continue playing – at minimum I no longer have the drive to login each day.

Not happy as it stands – either expand it to 6-8 options per type or make them generic as they where.

Halthur.9654

Did you not read my own post in this thread just a few posts above yours?

I addressed the one concern of yours that should not be a concern.

As far as the rest, I feel like you’re picking a fight with the wrong person right now.

The troll post that I reported. I sure did, next time don’t troll the forums and stay on topic.

Lyssan.3768

Also, unless you farmed all of the available AP every day, the loss of monthly AP is moot.

I was consistently getting 8 ap daily, without the need to go out of my way, just playing as i would have been playing if dailies didn’t exist. Sometimes i hit 2 more, if i felt like doing WvW, but we can ignore those for the sake of simplicity. The same with the monthlies. I didn’t farm them. Farming is what the new change tries to make me do.

So if you hit 8 AP daily then that mean that you missed out on 4 AP per day. At 365 days a year that’s 1,460 AP you lost out on whereas monthly AP only rewarded 1,200 per year.

If they didn’t feel like doing them, how is that them “missing out”? All that means is they didn’t feel like putting forth the effort to get them. Doesn’t sound like they missed out on them at all to me.

Bellizare.5816

inb4 new players @ lowbie zone complaining they can’t play normally when dailies are directed @ that zone.
Wait, wasn’t that the excuse for Queensdale farm train nerf? lol

Yes, I was there on an alt. The huge groups of 80’s in exotic + gear must have looked impressive to actual new players.

On the other hand they casually assisted me in defeating Defeat Franklin Quickblade and his band of rogues while simultaneously protecting the ranchers from bandits.

Dave.2536

The troll post that I reported. I sure did, next time don’t troll the forums and stay on topic.

Welp, some people choose to take offense to everything. My post should have clued into my opinion of the changes, so badgering me about them served no purpose but to highlight your own reading comprehension.

Enjoy basking in that blind rage oblivious to the true reality around you. Yes, logic is for those loser rational people. Let nothing get in the way of your own narrative!

Lyssan.3768

Wow people are really defending this change… I didn’t realize the game had sunk so low that something like this is actually defensible….

You always get this sort of fanboi BS in every game. Personally, I find the new dailies extremely limited, and liked to do the ones we used to have. Adding more options for dailies would have been fine. What really sucks is this edition of Wintersday, as it expands on the “Less is more” BS theme they rolled out. No snowball fighting this year, and the bell controls are screwed up too (used to coincide with my number keys, and now has unusable #1 and #0). – not to mention not getting credit for “participating” in the bell choir at all.

But yeah – Anet does stuff I dont like, then I just wont play. Fanbois are happy, and anet gets less cash. Win-win, right?

I don’t remember the wintersday you are talking about, but last year’s, if I remember right, they had 1-4 and 6-9 inclusive on mine in the bell choir subarea, and they seemed to work ok on mine, so that part is the same as last year, but most of the rest I agree with. It is apparently moreso in their mind that taking away more for the players to choose from and most likely driving more away is to be seen somehow as a good thing.

Somehow, some people are still thinking that less options is to be seen somehow as better than more options.

Lyssan.3768

Oh. I just did the daily (3 achievements) and finished it in 2.5 minutes. Such a grind and out of my way.

I did:

• Ascalon Vista
  • Krytan Gatherer
  • Badge of Honor Spender

I’m sure there may have been quicker ones. The PvP point capturer one would probably have been quicker than the lumber/gather one.

Good for you. Some people do not do WvW or PvP, so now they are supposed to feel like less of a player than you because they don’t want to do those areas? New players can get to (and survive) in Silverwastes to get the PvE daily for that to make their 3? No come back? Oh wait, that’s right, they don’t count because they have a different view than you do.

That, and new players might not have all of the areas explored where they can get to all the needed areas or even know how to get to the needed areas for that, while before, just doing the personal story stuff, or exploring the starter map their char is on now, they could have done the 5 dailies before without even knowing about it.

Lyssan.3768

Keep in mind everyone, that one of the WvW dailies doesn’t require you to fight players at all. Most achievement hunters have some badges of honor hanging around.

Go into WvW, you’re perfectly safe in your base, and spend a few laurels. Takes a minutes. Then you only need 2 dailies.

Except those people who (for whatever reason) choose to not do WvW, and are not less of a person or player than anybody else for not wanting to.

Bellizare.5816

Wow people are really defending this change… I didn’t realize the game had sunk so low that something like this is actually defensible….

You always get this sort of fanboi BS in every game. Personally, I find the new dailies extremely limited, and liked to do the ones we used to have. Adding more options for dailies would have been fine. What really sucks is this edition of Wintersday, as it expands on the “Less is more” BS theme they rolled out. No snowball fighting this year, and the bell controls are screwed up too (used to coincide with my number keys, and now has unusable #1 and #0). – not to mention not getting credit for “participating” in the bell choir at all.

But yeah – Anet does stuff I dont like, then I just wont play. Fanbois are happy, and anet gets less cash. Win-win, right?

I don’t remember the wintersday you are talking about, but last year’s, if I remember right, they had 1-4 and 6-9 inclusive on mine in the bell choir subarea, and they seemed to work ok on mine, so that part is the same as last year, but most of the rest I agree with. It is apparently moreso in their mind that taking away more for the players to choose from and most likely driving more away is to be seen somehow as a good thing.

Somehow, some people are still thinking that less options is to be seen somehow as better than more options.

Less options make many people more comfortable. This phenomenon has been responsible for a variety of social systems.

(edited by Bellizare.5816)

Lyssan.3768

“Condition Remover.” “Gatherer.” “Reviver.” Dailies that you could do at any level, anywhere on the map, during your……well, daily play.

Today’s dailies include going to a specific map, clicking on a vista that I already clicked on in Ascalon (a level 1 area), going to another specific map, cutting four trees down in Queensdale (a level 1 area)…and then going to another specific map and completing four events in Silverwastes (a level 80 area), or going to another specific map and doing a fractal run (a level 80 area).

So, you can’t do PvE dailies without a level 80. Either bring your 80 and be bored out of your skull in Ascalon, or bring your <80 and die instantly in Silverwastes.

Interestingly, I asked in map chat, “Seriously? I need a level 80 to finish the PvE dailies?” and was told “yeah, but it doesn’t take that long to get 80.”

We just keep drinking the koolaid…

“yeah, but it doesn’t take that long to get 80.” was obviously said by someone who (like me at the present unfortunately) has no life outside of GW2 and/or is a hardcore gamer, not someone who only plays an average of a couple of hours here and there every week or so.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Keep in mind everyone, that one of the WvW dailies doesn’t require you to fight players at all. Most achievement hunters have some badges of honor hanging around.

Go into WvW, you’re perfectly safe in your base, and spend a few laurels. Takes a minutes. Then you only need 2 dailies.

Except those people who (for whatever reason) choose to not do WvW, and are not less of a person or player than anybody else for not wanting to.

All except newer players should have some Badges of Honor unless you spent them all. The AP chests have Badges of Honor in them.

Doesn’t require any real playing of WvW to do so.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

Another player above nailed it. It’s not about difficulty, time or rewards. It’s about choice. And people refusing to be sheeple. Soon every single thing Anet promised GW2 will be will be taken away.

I agree with the intern thing above, and if I may add “who also probably is paid under the table by Blizzard to bring GW2 down.”

Too bad that they don’t realize that the ONLY way to bring players back and make players stay is to actually go back to the way the game was two years ago.

Lyssan.3768

So I logged in for the first time post patch, and decided to go do the daily. First off, got several small rewards just for logging in, and my first click of 7 logins until I get the bag of laurels. Ok, that’s better than before, since I never got anything on login before.

So went to do my daily, and purposefully took my time doing it. Harvested some Kryta timber, went to an Ascalonian viewpoint, and then purposefully went into wvw, as I knew that might take some time.

Please realize….I took my sweet time doing these things…..under no hurry and just kind of casually looking at where to go next…..

So went out to wvw……got in a couple fights, took a couple minor borderland points, and then finally did my daily of taking down a sentry and capturing the point.

Mind you, I wandered and purposefully took my time with it all.

It took me 24 minutes. Could easily be done in half that time. The rewards I got weren’t incredible, but they were good…..some xp scrit, some christmas goodies, some coin, and 10 AP…..the rewards were much better than the old system…..for doing next to nothing. And you don’t have to go to wvw…..I just did that as I knew it would take some time, as I went into more difficult areas.

Those people that are complaining about this must only have around 15 minutes a night to play.

It is easy as pie to do, and the rewards are much better than before.

Seriously, quit whining, suck it up, go commit a huge 15 minute chunk of time, and do the daily. It is not rocket science.

And if you don’t want to do the daily, that is fine, too. With the older system, the daily took much longer to complete, with far less rewards, even when I was specifically doing the daily.

Seriously, quit thinking that everyone else plays like you and/or has every bit of every map you have done also done to that level, and stop trying to make the people that DO have only a limited amount of time to play feel like they should be less of a player of the game (from them being a customer of Anet as well) as you are.

Not everybody wants to play other parts of the game, and repeated attempts by Anet to force them into those areas is NOT helping. The old way benefited a wider range of players, and actually tied achievements to the points that were earned. The people who took the effort to go out and farm the points, if they chose to do so, were rewarded with more points than those that didn’t. And yet, there are still people who take issue with other people wanting MORE options and not less. It boggles the mind, it really does.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

While they could really use more options, I think it’s a good change.

Now, you only have to complete your dailies if you want AP. Previously if you didn’t complete them, you’d get no laurel and begrudgingly do the ones to get it. Since AP from dailies is capped, there will reach a point where you don’t need to complete them at all, but you can choose to do whatever dailies you want for a reward, rather than having it count for nothing, or just count for a silly 1 AP.

Also, the rewards from some individual dailies might even be better than the old completion… I got a few omnomnomberries from one of them.

You didn’t “have” to do the dailies before, sometimes you got them anyway was an added bonus just from playing the game. They could have capped AP just as easily as putting this bullkitten system into place, I suspect with less effort on their end. The main issue, as it has always been for me, is give the players MORE choices, let them decide how they want to play, not try to force them into certain things or areas of the game they might not be interested in.

You don’t “have” to do anything. But when the rewards are for some things that are hard to obtain otherwise (you cannot obtain amulets, a BIS item, without laurels), then a huge effort vs reward consideration needs to be met.

There is a choice in the new system, and that is you can get rewarded for doing any of the dailies; not be required to do 5/5 or 3/3 to receive the main reward beyond a measly achievement point per achievement you do, and a lot of them are IMO superior to even the main daily rewards of old. You can do 1/3 and 2/3 and get something. The only thing you miss out on is 10 achievement points, and frankly, given that they are “achievement” points, I have zero expectation that they have to be entertaining activities and relegated to those that, well, want to do them.

In other words, I really so less material loss being done if one wants to completely exclude themselves from the system, of which, I now have the option of.

While it is fine to suggest more variety in the activities, or make them less specific, the AP system as it is is a fine framework and could use tweaking, but it is by no means horrible and I think it is better.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you’re intent on only doing PvE, then you’ve got a self-imposed restriction that is making it more difficult than it needs to be for you.

I’m not going to speak against this new system until I tried it. However, I never agree with the content cross references.

It’s a bit like telling a MYST player to go play Call of Duty because it builds character.

Not everyone feels like doing competitive things every day. I personally enjoy PvP more when I don’t have to do it.

The thing is though, the entire point of dailies is to incentivize players to participate in different content. They weren’t very good at doing that before, so this change improves their ability to perform their purpose at the cost of removing the ease at which they were formerly completed (the ease which was the main reason they didn’t achieve their purpose).

Sorry but having to go to Queensdale and follow/ protect the pack bull or gathing plants in the jungle(for example)are nothing but forced manipulation by Anet to complete mediocre activites that that take you away from the game you wish to play.
Of course they are optional, but thats not the point.

Then don’t do them? All you’re losing out on is AP and if AP mattered to you then I’d be surprised that you wouldn’t jump at the fact you get 10 AP for much less work than what was required before.

Let’s see. Doing dailies as an added benefit of doing the game how we wanted to, and now have to go through all this hassle to do them, and because you have no valid refute to it, you pull out the AP argument as if that were the only issue. Once again you miss the point, and I am tempted to think you couldn’t hit a cow with a barn.

The issue is that Anet is taking away choices in an attempt to force people into other things. The same method is used all the time other places, make one thing such a hassle or so expensive (as the case may be) that people who previously would have done that thing will either go do another option that you are trying to force them into, or stop doing anything whatsoever related.

Simple solution that, even though you might refuse to see it, is restore the options and let the players decide what they want to do. If Anet feels the need to cap the awarded achievement points for dailies and monthlies, they can do so. This solution not only doesn’t hurt you, but can benefit even you as well.

Exactly what would you lose if you did not do the daily achievement period? It takes much less time to get 10 AP than it did before the update. AP is the only reward now for doing the 3 dailies as the laurels and random gem store items got moved to the daily login reward system. If you did not go out of your way before to get all of the AP prior to the update, it’s reasonable safe to assume that AP is not really that important to you. Especially that it seems a lot of people liked to casually play the game doing their own thing and get the AP as they played rather than do tasks that directly rewarded the AP.

If don’t care about the AP you get from doing the daily, why are you doing it? If you do care about the AP from the daily, why didn’t you farm them all before the update?

Doing the daily before the update would reward 5 AP as you did 5 achievements that awarded 1 AP each. Now, you can do 3 achievements and get 10 AP. You do a fraction of the achievements that you had to do before and quite a number of those achievements are actually easier and quicker to do than they were before.

Lyssan.3768

wow , many of you don’t realize how easy doing 3 of these achievements are. (take no more than 5 mins to do!!!!) NO LAURELS???? omg ! You get laurels by logging in now.

It is clear that those who are whining don’t have all the facts or didn’t even make an effort to get all of the facts.

You don’t get laurels immediately, as it looks like they’re now on a 7 click sort of thing. Login 7 times(consecutive or not, doesn’t matter) after the reset, and you get a nice bag of 7 laurels. Plus all the better rewards you now get for doing the dailies.

I completely agree with your above post. It is is simple as heck to get the dailies, and those that are gritching about it must either be completely inflexible, not willing to adapt…..or haven’t come anywhere close to actually trying it.

That method was bullkitten when they did it with the skill points earned at one per level before and in chunks now, and it is the same bullkitten with them doing that with the laurels here.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I personally love the changes.

Dave.2536

Exactly what would you lose if you did not do the daily achievement period? It takes much less time to get 10 AP than it did before the update. AP is the only reward now for doing the 3 dailies as the laurels and random gem store items got moved to the daily login reward system. If you did not go out of your way before to get all of the AP prior to the update, it’s reasonable safe to assume that AP is not really that important to you. Especially that it seems a lot of people liked to casually play the game doing their own thing and get the AP as they played rather than do tasks that directly rewarded the AP.

If don’t care about the AP you get from doing the daily, why are you doing it? If you do care about the AP from the daily, why didn’t you farm them all before the update?

Doing the daily before the update would reward 5 AP as you did 5 achievements that awarded 1 AP each. Now, you can do 3 achievements and get 10 AP. You do a fraction of the achievements that you had to do before and quite a number of those achievements are actually easier and quicker to do than they were before.

That’s some pretty ridiculous black-and-white strawman you’ve got.

He got 5-8 with his “normal play”, and now that same normal play gets him 0. Are you really trying to tell him he has no right to complain about grind since he didn’t grind beyond his normal play before?

Ayrilana.1396

Oh. I just did the daily (3 achievements) and finished it in 2.5 minutes. Such a grind and out of my way.

I did:

• Ascalon Vista
  • Krytan Gatherer
  • Badge of Honor Spender

I’m sure there may have been quicker ones. The PvP point capturer one would probably have been quicker than the lumber/gather one.

Good for you. Some people do not do WvW or PvP, so now they are supposed to feel like less of a player than you because they don’t want to do those areas? New players can get to (and survive) in Silverwastes to get the PvE daily for that to make their 3? No come back? Oh wait, that’s right, they don’t count because they have a different view than you do.

That, and new players might not have all of the areas explored where they can get to all the needed areas or even know how to get to the needed areas for that, while before, just doing the personal story stuff, or exploring the starter map their char is on now, they could have done the 5 dailies before without even knowing about it.

Why confine yourself to one area simply because they’re labeled as PvE achievements? You want more options when the other modes of the game have plenty. The focal point of the daily system was to get people to try new things. Many non-PvE achievements actually require less effort and time than the PvE achievements. If you want to pigeon-hole yourself to just PvE achievements then that’s your own prerogative but you can’t blame anyone else but yourself for being stubborn and not trying out the other achievements.

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

Some combos are a bit missing it for players, like having to do a timed event (like the worm), but overall I think it’s nice. I also like the addition of XP scrolls to help level my alts. All in all, I’d give it 7/10 because if you want to stick to your playstyle, you are limited tasks-wise (only 4 for each style I think).

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I thought the previous Daily Achievements system was perfect, and needed no change whatsoever. They were concrete enough that it encouraged you to participate in content and go out and do things — yet general enough that it didn’t matter where you were or how you wanted to play. I barely ever had to even think about consciously going after the dailies. They just sort of got themselves done, through natural gameplay. And that’s how it should be. It got people logging in regularly, and playing at least a little bit each day. GW2 is a game where a big part of the “endgame” is about setting your own goals and finding your own fun, with myriad different paths to success and rewards.

I guess the consolation is that the “easy to complete, play how you want” aspect of the dailies is now represented by the log-in rewards track. Even the ultra-casual, play-20-minutes-per-day crowd who complained that dailies were too hard to complete, can now have their rewards for logging in and spending their limited time how they please. It levels the playing field a bit that way.

But now the game is holding achievement points for ransom, and offering additional rewards and advantages to those players who are willing to waste time farming monotonous, menial tasks. Cutting down 4 trees in Kryta? Viewing a vista in Ascalon? This isn’t even gameplay, this is just time-wasting busywork.

So, the extreme casual people who have barely any time to play, still get their log-in rewards. And the no-life “I play 8 hours a day” crowd can run around farming your random chores for added profit on a daily basis. But it feels like the middle-of-the-road players, who have some time to play regularly but don’t necessarily want to waste a whole hour completing an 11-20 level Fractal, or play a class they’re not comfortable with in sPvP, are left to the wayside.

I love Guild Wars 2, and I love the ridiculous amount of changes, improvements, and overhauls this game has gone through since launch. But sometimes, I really have to shake my head as ArenaNet makes perfectly enjoyable features demonstrably worse. I think this is one of those times. You have tried to fix something that wasn’t broken.

Lyssan.3768

People really will complain about anything.

The achievements are vastly easier to complete post-patch. I did mine in 5 minutes! What a grind!!
Also, I got 10AP compared to 3AP and I also got better rewards. Problem where?

Really? Were you on a new character that doesn’t go to WvW or PvP at all? (Some people don’t like it and no amount of Anet forcing is going to make that happen) How did your new PvE only char survive getting to the Silverwastes, or fractals about which not everyone has a decent idea of how to do level 1, nevermind 11-20?

Once again, the issue is with the lack of choices, with Anet trying to force people into other parts of the game. You don’t see it, fine. Them not doing that wouldn’t adversely affect you, and yet somehow the people who ARE being adversely affected are supposed to feel like kitten for taking issue with it?

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

@Lyssan

What purpose do you believe daily achievements should serve, if any?

Edit: Also, new players only need to complete one achievement for the daily. That’s literally walking into Queensdale and chopping down a few trees.

Ayrilana.1396

That’s some pretty ridiculous black-and-white strawman you’ve got.

He got 5-8 with his “normal play”, and now that same normal play gets him 0. Are you really trying to tell him he has no right to complain about grind since he didn’t grind beyond his normal play before?

Before: 10 achievements = 10 AP
Now: 3 achievements = 10 AP

Which one is better? Hmmm….

The achievements take 10 minutes at most to do enough for your daily. The only reward now for doing the daily is AP. If you didn’t care enough to go out of your way (even just a little) to get the other AP before the update, then why does the AP even matter now?

Lyssan.3768

wow , many of you don’t realize how easy doing 3 of these achievements are. (take no more than 5 mins to do!!!!) NO LAURELS???? omg ! You get laurels by logging in now.

It is clear that those who are whining don’t have all the facts or didn’t even make an effort to get all of the facts.

You don’t get laurels immediately, as it looks like they’re now on a 7 click sort of thing. Login 7 times(consecutive or not, doesn’t matter) after the reset, and you get a nice bag of 7 laurels. Plus all the better rewards you now get for doing the dailies.

I completely agree with your above post. It is is simple as heck to get the dailies, and those that are gritching about it must either be completely inflexible, not willing to adapt…..or haven’t come anywhere close to actually trying it.

Or are new players, or don’t have a level 80 char, or have any clue where the Silverwastes are, or have issue with having less choices now than before, or don’t want to play WvW or PvP or PvE or any other part of the game they didn’t want to play before. Not everyone is like you, not everyone should be belittled for not being like you or wanting to do things exactly how you do, yet we are the ones who are supposedly the ones with issues.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

It’s not about the amount of AP/rewards. The problem is HOW you get that AP/rewards.
Sure AP/rewards are more now than before but you are being forced to do things that you don’t want to do. What’s the point when you take fun out of the game. Before you could do dungeons, fractals, WvWvW, spvp or just roaming doing world event to finish your 5AP minimum dailies. With this 13AP minimum dailies, you do less stuff and less fun for more reward.
For instance, standing around @ Queensdale events 1 shotting everything.

(edited by Pino.5209)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’ve never, in the old system, finished dailies as quickly as I did with this new system. Easy, painless, more rewards, a little better overall than what I experienced with the old system.

Now I’ve only seen two sets of these so far so it is entirely possible that this experience will not continue.

Lyssan.3768

New new Dailys suck. Completely and utterly. I’m not going to waste 3 hours of my time on a kitten Fractal for a ONE PART of a frickn’ Daily achievement. I have a life, and 1-1 1/2 hours a day is should be MORE THAN ENOUGH time to get a frickn’ daily achievement.
Lets hope someone at ANet realizes what a kitten colossal screwup this is, and fixes it post-haste.

Have you actually tried the new daily system? You can do it in 10-15 minutes easy.
Claiming that it takes 3 hours to complete is an utter fabrication.

Try it before just making stuff up about it.

You better kitten belive I’ve done them. Hated every kitten minute of it. And as far as taking 3 hours, I could care less what YOU think, I know how much time it takes me to run one of those PITA Fractals. With a family, job, and kids, you better BELIEVE I know EXACTLY how long it takes.

I have a job and family, too…..and with limited time to play, why the heck are you doing fractals to complete the daily???? You could spend a fraction, a fraction of that time and get the daily, THEN go do fractals.

I just did the daily tonight, taking my kitten ed sweet time, and it took all of 24 minutes. I could have easily done it in 10, had I been in a hurry.

I am not sure what your point is, except to rage and express anger at some change that screws with a whopping 10 minutes of your time.

Are some of you truly that inflexible?

Let’s see, play a game because we enjoy it, and for some reason we have the nerve to take an issue with a change that negatively affects that enjoyment, but we are supposed to just accept it, or be made to feel like kitten because we choose to not see things exactly as you do. We want a system that unlike the way you seem to want it, actually benefits more people, not less, but we are the inflexible ones.

Lyssan.3768

New new Dailys suck. Completely and utterly. I’m not going to waste 3 hours of my time on a kitten Fractal for a ONE PART of a frickn’ Daily achievement. I have a life, and 1-1 1/2 hours a day is should be MORE THAN ENOUGH time to get a frickn’ daily achievement.
Lets hope someone at ANet realizes what a kitten colossal screwup this is, and fixes it post-haste.

I am hopeful too Silt, but not holding my breath.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

On most days when there was a daily fractal achievement, I’d do a round of fractals. Just open the LFG and find a party at any level, didn’t care what. That was the only time I still played fractals after doing them so often I got bored with them. I did it because there was the incentive of +1 AP.

Today, I didn’t do the daily fractal achievement. There was no incentive because I already got the max AP for the day doing infantile stuff like chopping trees, clicking a vista and buying some liquid world XP that I will consume at such a time when there’s a WvW daily for leveling up world rank, if those still exists. That day I’ll have to do very little else for my dailies.

Well done, your new daily system disincentivized me from doing something I would have done under the old system.