I don't like DE 2.0

I don't like DE 2.0

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

I like DE 2.0… well at least I liked it during season1. Since season 2 was all about putting emphasis on PC (cause of feedbacks) they lost a lot of depth.
Basically in season 1 we were meeting them as heroes of the episode in a sense they were in trouble and we were helping them. Now they just follow without any reason.

I’d rate them (from low to high):
-Braham. He lacks of something in the personality. For example in the first flame and frost there was some interesting background for him but not well exploited. Now he is just doing what Boss says.
-Canach. He’s nice and ambiguous but somehow the french actor doesn’t convince me enough. I have strong hopes for him in HoT and his relationship with Anise.
-Kasmeer. I like her a lot but since Belinda’s death she’s absent from the story. At the end of season 1 I thought the way she changed against Scarlett was promising how in season 2 she would have to tame her newly discovered braveness. But no, she just made portals for us and keep on repeating what we just learned.
-Taimi. I like her and she is actually one of the only ones who could survive season 2. Maybe she is a bit too much the comic part of the gang. And kudos to the french actress (apparently it is not as easy to find a list of the french actors who did that good job).
-Rox. Somehow I think she is a great character even though we don’t hear too much of her. Sure I’d like her to be more the spot of one or two episodes, but still she’s like an essential part of the team without being too much talkative.
-Marjory. She is simply the best character for me. She mysterious and sexy at the same time. And the voice acting behind is just so great. But again since Belinda’s death she just became our Ogden interpret….

Honestly my biggest issue is the episodic content of season 2. In season 1 the world was changing and we were witnessing it but someone of DE 2.0 was always around and we were getting closer to them. During LA attack, it was nice to see how Marjory/Kameer were getting closer and closer (yeah I liked their relationship…until guess when : Belinda’s death !). During each festival, someone was around giving some “hey we know each other, let’s work together again”.
Now that the story is so PC centric there is almost no point of having them.

If I compare to DE 1, the character were to me less surprising and a bit stereotypical but the dungeon stories and some of personal ones were really their story and the PC was part of it. But they were the focus even when we kill Zhaitan together. In fact in season 2 Caithe and Rytlock have more focus than DE2.0 when they are present, Caithe is even the main plot of two episodes.

So I would say that DE 2.0 are quite good characters but sadly the story became too much focused on our character as the savior of this world and all the future ones for countless generations which overshadowed all the side characters.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: ReaperStriker.1982

ReaperStriker.1982

For me, it’s Marjory > Taimi = Rox > Kasmeer >>>>>> Ka-Brahm
Marjory is my waifu. Taimi is lame, literally, but I would respect her if the anet writers would not make her look “lame” figuratively. “Oh I’m helpless but cute… love me!!” I hate to say Taimi is cute (because saying Taimi is cute is just disrespect), I think her enthusiasm is admirable, not getting horny for Taimi kitten you. It just reminds me of myself when I was young, I would do all these mini-experiments in our backyard, plus I am pro-nerd/geek/genius. She is already genius level. Kasmeer, well, she is fap material, but not waifu material. I can’t shake the thought of her life before joining DE2. I wonder if she was promiscuous, the kitten of the block, before her family was disgraced. I like her professionalism though. I like Rox’s humor and quips. Make it more edgy, bordering on ridicule and insult. Ka-Brahm, wow, although a “gentle giant” (but dangerous when angry), loyal to the end like a dog, he just doesn’t click to me. I don’t know, maybe he can become the “Minsc” of GW2, minus the PTSD.

Attachments:

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I will quote myself from a year ago:

So let’s see:

1. We have Rox, a gladium – which means unemployed.
2. Braham, who grew up only with his father – which means single parent family.
3. Kasmeer and Marjory being more than just close – gay relationship.
4. Taimi can’t really walk – disabled.
5. Canach is in prison – the criminal.

If we put any more social RL conflict into Destiny’s Edge 2.0, we have a TV soap…

Let’s give characters a rating to see how they have developed over the past 12 monthes:

Rox: 1/5 – Totally forgetable in the story, but at least not annoying.
Braham: 0/5 – I want him dead already. Uh-huh.
Kasmeer and Marjory: 1/5 – Half a point of mercy each for being pretty to look at – if you know what I mean…
Taimi: 3/5 – Yeah, Asura Gump has at least some personality to recognize. Run Taimi run!
Canach: 2/5 – He doesn’t show up often, a big plus.

As I have stated before, if I really was the boss, I would have fired the whole team ages ago. I just hope Mordi will be mercyful and frees me of most of those losers. Otherwise I will have to do so myself.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

Personally, I find it’s Rox / Braham > Taimi interacting with Scruffy / Mama Rox / Pappy Braham > Taimi interacting with literally anything else > Claw of Jormag’s chain fears and knockbacks > the mobius cancer that is KasmereXMarjory.

Rox and Braham are written well for their roles. They are the replacements of Rytlock and Eir, and they KNOW that, so I can easily sympathize with their motivations to live up to their predecessors. On top of that, they still know how to be enjoyable to talk to even with all that stress on them to be great. (Also they’ve got some wonderful senses of style)

Taimi is at least written like a kid, which is rare in video game parties with kids. But, she’s an Asura, and like most Asura written by the GW2 team, that means she has to act like a know-it-all when the devs don’t really want to explain what she’s figured out (whether it’s through her explanation or us being able to piece it together ourselves and shut her up when we know it), AND since she is believably written a kid, she gets to act like a brat when she does it too, which makes me want to do nothing more than punt her into the nearest gaping Mordrem maw.

Claw of Jormag’s chain fears and knockbacks suck kitten . It’s repetative, it hurts, it wastes time, AND IT’S JUST kittenING ANNOYING. But at least you can cleanse it and dodge it.

The grotesque fusionbaby that is Marjory and Kasmere’s relationship, holy hell. Anet, please stop writing romances, because I honestly don’t think you know what romance is. Romance is not constantly pledging yourself to your partner’s side at every opportunity. Romance is not instantly agreeing with your partner’s point on a planning session, unless it involves them being put in danger. Romance is not saying “love” or “doll” or any other lazy pet name whenever referring to your partner. These things are just the top layer of snow that has fallen on the iceberg of romantic love. And love is definitely not casting a pretty look, a pretty smile, a prolonged face sucking, another pretty look, and then a calm, pretty hug when you thought your partner was DEAD. Romantic love is hesitation, and wandering hopes. It’s the beautiful resonation with another person’s cognitive processes, not necessarily instantly thinking like them, but the ability to make different trains of thought complement each other. It’s subtle appreciation for the mere existence of the subject of your affection. It’s most definitely ugly screaming, sobbing, and wailing when you think your partner is dead, and even more ugly sobbing, blubbering, and panicked attempts to make sure reality isn’t lying to you when they open their eyes. And it’s much more than that. Kasmere and Marjory’s sad excuse for a romance is elementary school play levels of believeable, it adds nothing to the forwarding of the plot outside of “they like each other more now” or “they won’t do that specific bickering anymore” or “now one of them is sad and the other one is sad by association” and it infuriates me whenever I have to sit still because of their kitten “drama” while there’s a plantpocalypse to stop.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have low expectations of NPC story characters in an MMO. The difference between those in GW2 and those in other MMO’s is that the GW2 NPC’s follow me around while the NPC’s in other games usually stay in town or at the beginning of the dungeon. While the GW2 character personae are a touch more developed than the in-town standers, they are still essentially caricatures of people.

I wonder if this is because of ANet’s low opinion of the the intellect of players. After all, if “players” are overwhelmed by being exposed to the trading post and profession trainers in QDale, “players” probably couldn’t handle subtlety and depth of NPC character personality. I think the GW2 characters are aimed at a lowest common denominator — in this case, the supposed “teen” audience. I say this not to bash teens, some of whom are not worthy of such treatment. I do say it to bash some of the teen “literature” out there, which is total drek.

It’s possible to create stereotypical characters with depth, who are still interesting. However, as a writer, you have to venture further afield from the stereotypes one finds in very simple fiction. TSW handles this magnificently. The drifter outside the Sheriff’s Office in Kingsmouth is lifted right out of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He’s a caricature, but he’s off-beat enough to give one pause. It’s too bad I cannot dialog with him, but listening to him is interesting. Listening to any of the S2 NPC’s is just grating.

While the GW2 NPC’s are not Clary or Bella, they don’t seem any more realistic than those characters do. Nor are they the sort of people my characters (i.e. myself) would choose to hang with, given a choice. That’s the bit about the GW2 S2 NPC’s I dislike. They are not my friends, I’m not their boss. I don’t mind helping to save Tyria, but for Dwayna’s sake, let me go off on my own to do so — or give me some of the LS NPC’s, who I have more affinity for.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

……tybalt is one of the best heros in the game. I can see this current cast that’s with us is a little “meh” but tybalt……well he’s tybalt! He got his own backpack cause people loved him so much.

I don't like DE 2.0

Roda.7468

……tybalt is one of the best heros in the game. I can see this current cast that’s with us is a little “meh” but tybalt……well he’s tybalt! He got his own backpack cause people loved him so much.

I really want to see him make a reappearance in HoT where Mordremoth fuses him with an apple tree.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

I really want to see him make a reappearance in HoT where Mordremoth fuses him with an apple tree.

Lmao epic. There no real confirmation he’s dead soo….I mean those doors shut and anything could have happened.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Dav.9152

Dav.9152

Having been away from the game during LS1 and 2, when I came back to play through LS2 I had no clue where these characters came from or what their backgrounds were. They didn’t have any prior ties to the PS story line so having them suddenly interjected into LS was rather jarring for me, and I didn’t develop any empathy for any of them.
Braham – just randomly showed up, and won’t go away.
Rox – no clue what the story is behind this character and why they’re here.
Taimi – I like her vocabulary and voice acting. Don’t like her attitude. If all progeny acted like this Rata Sum would be a madhouse. Also don’t like the elitist attitudes of the councilor. While I understand this is all fitting within the Asuran mentality, I think it’s highly irresponsible behavior on both sides.
Canach – All I know is he’s some criminal and I don’t trust that. So far he’s been under Anise’s leash so I don’t know if that means he’s well-guarded or Anise is in for some trouble. Heck Anise might even team up with him to betray Jennah and Logan herself I would be infuriated). While this character hasn’t gotten much development, he’s certainly aroused an air of mystery.
KasJory – I had poked my head into GW2 often enough during LS1 to realize that these two had some ties with Scarlet’s investigation so they were not new to me. I actually like their characters and think they bring more substantial plot line than the rest of the cast. Roda already offered an explanation of their relationship a couple posts above mine and I agree very much. They can have whatever kind of relationship they want, but if I’m worried about saving the world and stopping Mordremoth, they need to keep it to themselves and not concern me with it.

Live, learn, level up.

I don't like DE 2.0

Roda.7468

Lmao epic. There no real confirmation he’s dead soo….I mean those doors shut and anything could have happened.

Ah nah, he doesn’t have to be alive. Just his corpse will do.

Like how the Sylvari were grown on top of corpses!

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

Ok, I get it, you like Tybalt. I’m not surprised. But the only hero in the three orders is Forgal for me. He’s an experienced soldier and warrior, a leader and a fighter. And he’s voiced by the same guy that voiced Jalis and Campbell from metal gear solid :>

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

I actually commend Anet’s Living Season 2, not to mention that ending and prelude to HoT hnggg. I like DE 2.0, feels more tight knit than 1.0 and Taimi is just excellent. I agree with the M&K “romance instances” though. Also for some reason Rox looked younger to me compared to Season 1, especially when standing around Rytlockittenep thinking, what’s with the furry vibe between Braham and Rox with Taimi acting as their adopted child…Kinda creepy yet interesting.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

My problem with Marjory, is the voice acting, and I use the word ‘acting’, in very broad terms. The voice actor is horrible. Monotone, no emotions in the voice. I guess it was okay as a film noir shtick, in a minor role, that she had at first. But now that she has a larger, and longer term role, that voice is very bad and annoying.

I laughed when Belinda died. I genuinely had a good laugh. All because Marjory couldn’t bring herself to actually have emotion of some sort. The interaction between Marjory and Kasmeer in that cutscene sounded so very forced to me.

I do agree with the OP on most of these things, but I did feel for Tybalt. Taimi is the only character in this new bunch that I actually like. I’ve had next to no interactions with Canach so I have no idea what he’s like personally (I’ve read and heard a bit about him but I haven’t seen it firsthand).

What got me more than anything is that seemingly out of nowhere we – the player character – are put in charge of something, this time without having it ripped from under our noses by someone less worthy. Except this time it doesn’t feel like I’ve accomplished anything apart from gathering a group of annoying, emotionless people partly comprised of a forced lesbian teenage romance and a thug who has mummy issues.

Thinking about it, Rox really is “auntie Rox”. Thanks OP xD

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t like asura and they keep getting shoved in my face.

I really don’t like charr, and for some reason it’s necessary I smile and pretend everything’s fine with the ceasefire.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

I don't like DE 2.0

Many.8419

I was replaying LS2 for achievements this weekend and I have to say I like Marjory’s voice but I don’t think it suits her. She’s definetely attempting to be GW2’s noir detective but at the end it’s just an anime doll. Her voice reminds me of Kate o’Hara from Desperados game.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I really don’t like charr, and for some reason it’s necessary I smile and pretend everything’s fine with the ceasefire.

Everything is fine. Flame Legion were the idiots that wanted all the war and death the most. The other 3 legions are killing them when and where they can. Is that not justice? Cleaning up their own mess and losing some of their own in return?

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Tybalt is the real hero in GW2.

Seeing as we’re not because of Trahearne, and Trahearne didn’t actually do anything.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Lots of players don’t like them. What’s the point of this thread again?

If we are here to just post complaints, them my #1 is Rox’s GIANT FREAKIN’
eyes….what’s up with those peepers?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

They are there to sell you cools skins in gemstore, just like that “Batman and Robin” movie that was created to sell toys.

Edit: Our Order mentors seemed far more interesting characters to be around than DE2.0. It’s a shame they all sacrificed themselves for the sake of my characters.

(edited by Zergs.9715)

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What! Don’t you guys know that Jory is your ROCK! Yours, and yours, oh, and over there, yours, too.

You have no choice. She IS your rock. Roll with it.

Even so, my #1 Guardian is convinced that what Jory doesn’t know won’t hurt him.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I actually prefer DE 2.0 to the original Destiny’s Edge, and I think that’s mostly because DE 1.0 kinda felt like an afterthought in the context of the original story missions involving Zhaitan. It felt like you were just meeting them after they had already made a name for themselves and become legends, and so you were never really part of their story or their journey in the first place.

At least with DE 2.0, I feel like I’m seeing these characters grow from the ground up, and slowly transform into legends of their own, with myself alongside them. Sure, they’re not quite there yet and they all have a lot to learn, but being part of that learning experience is part of what makes it fun. Also, because of the way they were systematically introduced in LS season 1, if felt like less of an afterthought and more like a meaningful addition. Sure, all the characters could use some work, but they’re by no means terrible in my opinion.

I don't like DE 2.0

Many.8419

To be honest I don’t feel like my character accomplished anything in this game, lorewise. It is said over and over again by npcs “you’re the boss” “hooray the commander” etc but after replaying the content I felt more like a sidekick of Jory and others complimenting everything I did like I should feel rewarded. Yeah, few lines of dialog is not a reward a hero dreams about.

It feels like becoming a member of White Mantle in GW1. A ceremony, fat guy telling me I am cool but afterall it left 0 feelings and is totally underplayed.

For me there should be no NPC party running aroung our character. We are the heroes. Why should I care about teenage lovestory or an asura progeny trying to be rebel. Those characters drive the focus from my character and it feels like the game is about them. Not even dragons.

I like DE1.0 more because they are not running around me. They have story behind them, they have their own troubles and they don’t try to be my sidekicks. With DE2.0 it feels like gathering of homeless wannabe heroes with no real reason to do so.

I don't like DE 2.0

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Everything is fine. Flame Legion were the idiots that wanted all the war and death the most. The other 3 legions are killing them when and where they can. Is that not justice? Cleaning up their own mess and losing some of their own in return?

No. That is not justice.

Justice would be their homeland being invaded while it was burning to ash around them, and every single charr no matter the age or gender being killed.

There is nothing which will ever make the Searing something which can be forgotten and forgiven.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Actually there is. If you were with Whispers random risen will taunt you with how they killed Tybalt and want to reunite you.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Actually there is. If you were with Whispers random risen will taunt you with how they killed Tybalt and want to reunite you.

That only happened to my main once, down on the beaches at the south end of Bloodtide Coast a few months back, but it was a nasty shock, I can tell you.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: hrasna.3017

hrasna.3017

I’m just happy they’re not like Trahearne — I do all the work and he says, “Look what I did! I’m a green friggen hero! You’re all welcome!”

-Chris

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

That only happened to my main once, down on the beaches at the south end of Bloodtide Coast a few months back, but it was a nasty shock, I can tell you.

I got the “You should have died with Forgal!” line. I have no particular fondness for the big cranky Norn, but kitten if they’re going to mock me with his name. I turned around and gave that corpse the beating of his next life.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

No. That is not justice.

Justice would be their homeland being invaded while it was burning to ash around them, and every single charr no matter the age or gender being killed.

There is nothing which will ever make the Searing something which can be forgotten and forgiven.

Did you forget the part where the humans evaded the charr homelands first? Took it over then proceed to call it Ascalon. Which started that whole domino effect. Don’t get me wrong both humans and the charr have caused great atrocities through the misuse of dark magics and fanatical political/religious standings. I used to think like you, before some of the new bridge lore started coming in as EotN was coming around. Revealing new historical information that occurred before GW1, during the 250 after GW1, and then the events happening in GW2. Now I just see the whole human versus charr thing as one whole Greek tragedy. There are no real winners in the end.

It was one of the more detailed and interesting lore bridges for GW2 that I have seen done. Furthermore all of it is well represented in game, and outside of it equally.

(edited by Sindex.9520)

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: NaotsuguLH.8915

NaotsuguLH.8915

Taimi is okay, but I admit, Kasmeer x Marjory definitely needs to be axed. It’s badly done to the point where I’d say it’s unnecessary.
Braham… his relationship with Taimi is interesting, but other than that I don’t like him much. I don’t mind an “all brawn no brain party member though”.
Rox is… yeah no, if she died off I’d be okay without her.
Kasmeer is an okay party member, but her romance and story is crap.
Marjory, I liked at first, but not so much now.

Disclaimer: I did not play during season 1, so I never got to actually “meet them”.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Taimi is okay, but I admit, Kasmeer x Marjory definitely needs to be axed. It’s badly done to the point where I’d say it’s unnecessary.
Braham… his relationship with Taimi is interesting, but other than that I don’t like him much. I don’t mind an “all brawn no brain party member though”.
Rox is… yeah no, if she died off I’d be okay without her.
Kasmeer is an okay party member, but her romance and story is crap.
Marjory, I liked at first, but not so much now.

Disclaimer: I did not play during season 1, so I never got to actually “meet them”.

I think that is one of my major problems with them. I never played season 1 and the little I have seen of them they get on my nerves. I despise how Rox and her stupid kawaii devourer look, both with their large anime eyes. I hate Braham and his mommy issues. Marjory is so bland it hurts. I think Taimi is interesting, but a bit annoying.

Mainly though, I feel the story should focus on us, the characters. I really don’t find these new characters interesting at all and the fact I can never do season 1 means I will never be invested with them.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Narillan.5607

Narillan.5607

I got the “You should have died with Forgal!” line. I have no particular fondness for the big cranky Norn, but kitten if they’re going to mock me with his name. I turned around and gave that corpse the beating of his next life.

Every faction can get that event if you happen to be in the area for it. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/?search=risen+commander Easy way to see all three faction’s events.

But the same. kitten if I’m going to let that risen “live” after taunting me with my mentor’s loss.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Wolfe.9850

Wolfe.9850

First and foremost I’m going to say I liked Tybalt, he amused me. Granted I do like Forgal more, he went out like a kitten (but my opinion is also somewhat biased due to the fact Forgal was my first for that part of the story.). Sierene though, her death was about as emotional as a brick. That said I like Rox and Braham. For those that speak against Braham, I say you might be looking at it from the wrong angle for his relationship to Eir. What he sees first isn’t Eir the legend, what sees is “Eir the mom who was never there, even when dad died.”. Since he was born he hasn’t really seen/met her, he’s heard of her sure, but he doesn’t really no how to feel about her as a person. As the story progresses this changes. The reason there’s not much emotion to start is because they’re both being awkward about it. As for the Braham Smash. As far as I know prior to Frost & Fire he basically stayed in his village. He’s inexperienced, and more than a few Norn are known to have followed the “smash first ask questions after” train of thought in their younger days. He’s learning though.

That said I do understand the Kasmeer = Barbie train of thought and I admit I can’t see her as much more than eyecandy. From what I do know/have seen of her relationship with Jory it does seem a bit inappropriately timed in most cases. That said I actually like Majory. Also following the Snaff Forumla, and considering that Majory got the Greatsword possessed by her sister, I think there’s at least a 50% chance of Kasmeer dying.

I love Taimi and Cannach, and that is all I feel the need to say on the matter.

Now that said I wouldn’t mind if Destiny’s Edge Jr disbanded/split up/went their separate ways after HoT. Have them take a more background role like Trehearne the Destiny’s Edge Classic. Like say when we eventually go for Jormag we’re trying to find a Champion and bump into Braham who’s also tracking it. Or we need information regarding leylines and know just the Asura to ask.

In the mean time we gather new companions/allies to face the different threats which have some how personally effected them giving them the appropriate drive to face it. Of course we don’t want a “1 person of each race and class, rinse and repeat” group, that would be borring; but it would be interesting to see different teams and relationships as we move forward with LS Chapters and Expansions in the future.

(that noted, I see the LS as kinda like the Prologue to the Expansions. Build towards/hinting at whats to come and in generally keeping us tided over till it happens/is announced.).

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

This thread is reddit/8chan-worthy material. I don’t even know how it still exists after 4 days.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

This thread is reddit/8chan-worthy material. I don’t even know how it still exists after 4 days.

WHY MOOT WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Okay, why not add my own thoughts:

Kasmeer/Marjory: I’m not impressed. While their cooing at each other is certainly annoying, as long as it’s matured in the HoT release, then I couldn’t care less. Kasmeer is kinda like any of those rich “reality tv” women… pretty, thoughtless, and more driven than bright. And Marjory keeps that kind of emo, brooding film noir thing. Both of these are annoying, but they can be tamed.

Broham and Rox: Came together with the molten facility, Rox is a softie Charr, and Broham is a mace wielding dunce. Actually, he seemed a bit brighter and felt more “Norn” in season 1. Rox… I don’t get this one at all, if she is like 16, then okay it fits. But for a Charr? She is so wildly out of place among her own kind that I just don’t believe it.

Taimi: Ugh… I just don’t care for Asura in general, I take my Norn guard and hit them with Banish on my hammer as often as I possibly can because the lulz are almost enough to make up for it… That said, if she had been made 18 and snarky, it would still be plenty annoying, but maybe less creepy. Also having DE2.0 play babysitter on her always felt kinda cringe-worthy.

Canach, interesting add. I kinda like what I see of him, been through the ringer a few times. Good natured, but twisted by the things his life has thrown at him. And I liked the banter between him and Anise, especially when he struck that age nerve of hers. If they can keep him going he’ll be okay.

The pax demo that we played during the most recent stress test had our character chewing broham out for running off like an idiot at the start, so I think our character might actually become the “boss” and lay down some law on all these wild and annoying traits we hate from DE2.0.

So now DE1: Mind you, I never read the books so all this is based off what we see in game…

Eir. No story, this was commented on in LS1 and 2. Who she is when you meet her though, believable. And I kinda liked what I saw. Her interactions with Braham were awkard, but meant to be, her son hated her for leaving him and she felt torn between wanting to be in her son’s life, and wanting to keep him from feeling all weird (in character I might add using the dungeon story lines as comparison). And judging by that one conversation she and Braham have… My money says she bit the dust in the attack.

Caithe. Interesting, LS2 explains a lot. And to the comments about the abusive relationship between her and Faolain, that’s the point. Caithe wasn’t the go getter hero, she was just floating along and got swept up by Faolain who was an alpha personality, and it took a lot of horrible stuff happening for Caithe to break free of it… in fact, TA story suggests Faolain got a touch of dragon corruption in a recalling that sounded like the Jora/Svanir story with leafy people.

Rytlock. Like Eir, no story. But still believable as Eir was. Always love the Charr personal story dialogues, whoever wrote those was an unmitigated genius.
Rytlock Brimstone, “More dazed soldiers staggering around in their skivvies. Either we’re on the right track, or we missed the best party ever.”

Zojja: Annoying asura. That said, likeable enough, and feel that Taimi is meant to fill her spot as the one making all the snarky remarks about everything.

Logan. I hate this guy. He ran away and got Snaff killed. He ran away in TA story. He ran away in Arah story and lived. He’s very good at running away. Though his moaning about “Why do I have to be the burned one?” and Anise’s retort “..so stop crying.” was very satisfying <3

Others:
Trahearne…screw him and his ugly GS I hope hes dead or turned and I get to kill him because he was Kormir 2.0. omg anet STAHP MAKING KORMIRS

Forgal. Liked him. Liked him trash mouthing the dragon as we went out too.
Warmaster Forgal Kernsson: “Agh! This place stinks like an alehouse on free curry night.”

Tybalt:
Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Time to head out, is it? Time for me to get pretty.
Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw: Burn me, I’m a human girl! Whoa, I’ve got two hands and some lovely…apples.
Need I say more? <3

Serian… No. Too bubbly. Though Gixx was hilarious when dealing with her.

Honorable mention because… Gixx: “Let’s see… Hail, Blathimar…no, no, Balthezar…lord of, er…killing…and rather brutal dentistry…is that right? Oh, balderdash.”
Rather brutal dentistry lolololololololol

oh too many more to count… so ill stop here xP

I don't like DE 2.0

Many.8419

After playing stress test yesterday I have to admit Canach is a possible number one of my favourite characters in this game. I like his transformation espacially it is told in the game and we’ve met him both on the bad and the good side. I like his voice, his attitude and his redemption. Especially after HoT teaser at the end of PoNR seems like he’s going to be one of Sylvari fighting against “race war”.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Vax Tezhme.7128

Vax Tezhme.7128

I’m actually fond of Kasmeer and Marjory. Everyone is talking about how it seems like a badly written romance. It didn’t seem to me like it was meant to be a ‘romance’ per se – to me is just seems like a very normal relationship. It’s sweet, and I appreciate that. It’s not really drama as much as it is color, which is fine. (The Caithe/Faolin relationship, now that is more like a ‘romance’ – it’s drama). I do miss Jory’s more ‘noir’ vibe from when she was introduced, however.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Loxsus.3841

Loxsus.3841

They are not entertaining in the least nor would I care if any of them were dropped into a void and never to be seen again.

Canach has the greatest potential as it’s been a slow thing but technically he’s not on Team Green yet (since I play a sylvari, it’s all Team Green).

The romance between Marjory and Kashmere is, like others have said, hard to watch. It just feel very poorly written. I don’t care which genders in whatever combination are involved in a relationship but if you’re going to present it like it should matter then make us CARE.

The pair, strangely enough, are far more tolerable when apart.

There are plenty of games out there where relationships and NPCs are done very well to make me care about them. A lot of them are Bioware, to be fair, but they don’t have a patent on compelling NPC stories and interactions.

What I want currently, is to add Canach into the fold and have him with me and this sad group of DE 2.0 and make comments the entire time in sympathy to me for what I have to put up with.

I need a plant bro to share my pain.

On that matter, I like Countess Anise (sp?) quite a bit too, actually. She can replace Kashmeer all day on my party.

My ideal party with current NPCs being Canach and Anise with other things filled in. I don’t really care for any of the Asura but Taimi might be able to stay. Revenant Rytlock I’d give a chance to see if he got less cranky down there.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

To be honest I want my Destiny’s Edge back. Braham is an idiot, his conversation with a dying Scarlet was so dumb it hurt.

Everyone is too goodie two shoes except for Marjory, because Marjory is boss except for all the gooey eyed love talk with Kasmeer. They’re adults they should be romantic like adults actually are.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Vax Tezhme.7128

Vax Tezhme.7128

Everyone is too goodie two shoes except for Marjory, because Marjory is boss except for all the gooey eyed love talk with Kasmeer. They’re adults they should be romantic like adults actually are.

Have you actually been around romantic adults?? It gets so sickeningly sweet bystanders need insulin shots to survive.

I don't like DE 2.0

Zenith.7301

Have you actually been around romantic adults?? It gets so sickeningly sweet bystanders need insulin shots to survive.

Tacky as hell adults. Most adults I know don’t have that cheesy crap coming out of their mouths.

I’m not talking about snuggling or physical affection. I mean the actual lines. Especially Marjory to Kasmeer.

I don't like DE 2.0

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tacky as hell adults. Most adults I know don’t have that cheesy crap coming out of their mouths.

I’m not talking about snuggling or physical affection. I mean the actual lines. Especially Marjory to Kasmeer.

. . . yeah my brother is getting married this summer, and I’m going to disagree with you here, Zenith. There is all kinds of corny, cheesy lines which come out semi-regularly from either one. There’s also a whole lot of blatant “we are sleeping together” lines, as well.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

It’s like I’m wading through a pool of tears here.

Calm the hell down. They aren’t Scarlet.

Be grateful for what you have, it might just…

looks wistfully at Lion’s Arch

…Fade away…

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

I don't like DE 2.0

Zenith.7301

I prefer Scarlet over any of those besides Marjory.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Bland character can be improved. It’s a consistent starting point.

Scarlet? Mary Sue, capable of apparently anything. Not good for storytelling. Needed to be rewritten and given better reasons for omniscience/omnipotence.

She wasn’t, regrettably.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

I don't like DE 2.0

Zenith.7301

Those characters are terminally bland, there’s no saving them without making them look schizophrenic.

I want my Destiny’s Edge back.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Ehh, Braham really doesn’t fit or click in my head. His appearance.. everything is off to me. He’s merely that guy with you who hits stuff along the way.

Taimi is pretty interesting but I can’t help but ponder whether ANet is pushing the whole typical ‘brainy young super genius kid’ theme with her. I do, however, wish to know how she’s going with her experiment with the ley line things. Heck, I may have to revisit LSS2 and replay all those episodes to refresh my memory again.

Kasmeer. I honestly don’t even care about this chick therefore I don’t know much. Once again I’ll have to go through LSS2 again.

Marjory. She was definitely interesting at first and I love her voice; it fits her character & theme very well. I’ve always enjoyed anything detective-related anyway so her backstory & cases involved with the LSS2 was always interesting to read… however, there was one really stupid awkward moment when Caithe ran off with the egg. We all saw it. We all knew it.. so why after the cutscene does Jory even bother stating; “I saw Caithe run off with the egg.” Blah. Little things like that kill the moment sometimes.

Rox. Whoever stated she deserves the world Guinness award for biggest anime eyes to date wins my vote. That alone is so disturbing to glance at it almost makes me cringe everytime I was in an episode with her. Sure, there are some funny moments where she’s stated a few odd lines; particularly that one in Scarlet’s old house comparing that plant on the table to her hair-do but still Rox feels like she could use more work, somehow.

Caithe is someone I’ve always been intrigued with and pains me in a way that I honestly cannot decide, and I’m sure I’m not alone here, whether she is good, evil or neither. There are many un-answered questions with her, one of which finally being delivered regarding sylvari as mordrem minions but I feel she just keeps running away.. and no duh, she’s a thief but come on.. the recent cliffhangers were rather disappointing. Something I will never understand about her is/was her tolerance/relationship for Faolain. Faolain is downright evil. Everyone knows it. It just makes it a sticky situation to believe.

Other characters:

Malyck is a character I want to know more about. Where is he? He literally just disappeared; he was intriguing and clearly knows of other places that exist we could explore. What’s his purpose? Origin (aside from NOT being from the Pale Tree)? There’s so many un-answered questions..

Although many people seem to hate Scarlet Briar and I agree partially on the fact that the way she was introduced was utter ridiculous, over-the-top one big joke I think she is still a unique, interesting character that could have been so much more. Whether she was truly a villain or one of those baddies doing something indirectly good (waking up Mordy so we can kill him) I think the whole Harley Quinn theme about her made it somewhat humorous but still, incredibly cheesy & silly.

So yeah. I do miss the original Destiny’s Edge. These new ones could use some work. I’m grateful we have what we have though I suppose..

I don't like DE 2.0

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Okay, if you want Destiny’s Edge back, you have to let me murder Zojja first.

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Malyck is a character I want to know more about. Where is he? He literally just disappeared; he was intriguing and clearly knows of other places that exist we could explore. What’s his purpose? Origin (aside from NOT being from the Pale Tree)? There’s so many un-answered questions..

There are a couple of things we do know about Malyck. He came from a tree in Magus Falls. He remembers that there were others there. He left to find his people and promised to return with an army to fight Zhaitan. Other than that, he’s a mystery, and I’d love to see him make a surprise return in the expansion. If the Pale Tree was the only thing holding back Mordremoth’s influence, then I would presume that now that he is awake, Malyck and all of his people are now servants of the dragon.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

I don't like DE 2.0

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I personally do not like Kasmeer. Marjory’s too good for her. And Marjory herself…well…she just seemed snooty at first to me. I wanna roll my eyes everytime she goes, “hey doll.”

I like Brahm and Rox much better. Rox struck me as a little too ‘sweet’ to be a charr, but I guess not all Charr are ferocious gnashing catbeasts. and Brahm taking care of Taimi is sweet, like a big brother little sister. He’s just a Norn – Norn’s like to smash stuff.

Taimi of course, is the best of all. I get sad when she’s sent away to not join dangerous missions cuz she’s too young. She’s the best in the group.