I don't like Town Clothing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

After viewing the new town clothes I am convinced that ANet just doesn’t get it.

For a moment, lets forget the fact that almost no one manually switches to town clothes. Since there is no system in place to allow the option to automatically switch, most people don’t seem to bother with these, myself included.

That aside, this is a huge untapped market for ANet that they continually throw away. They continue to create these “modern” versions of clothing that do nothing but make the game look kitschy and cheap.

Of course, that is my personal opinion, but what I think many others would agree with is that if ANet released sets of clothing that weren’t “jokes”, and fit the style of the game, many would jump at the chance to get them.

There is no need to try and be clever and funny when making new cosmetic gear. Just release some really nice clothing that encourage people to use the feature. I know I would.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Pretty much sums it up. I like the new clothes and I don’t think “ANet just doesn’t get it”. I’m switching to town clothes sometimes. What you’re probably missing is the concept of “fun”. I agree they should add way more clothes especially useful ones from a RP perspective, but I still like what they did so far.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Avatar.1923

theres a lot of thing they didnt get, yet.

town clothing are as meaningful as the fractal of the mist lore; lame

unfortunately.

but they did some good stuff too, that will change mmos forever and ever <3
that other games will take and do better, with more character and story and lore and feel and horizontal progression etc.
when gw2 will be in its grave, remember that it almost went “classic”!

Posted by: Khai.6435

Khai.6435

As said in other threads; LOTRO had about the perfect system where you could have a set of clothes for stats and another for image. This system misses the mark for me and my entire gaming clique.

I share the OPs opinion. Bringing modern clothing and affectations into this steampunk style universe does look cheap and is thematically breaking for me.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’ve never understood why we can’t buy NPC town clothes for our characters. There’s a wide variety of lovely fashion options that the NPCs wear, none of which are available to the players.
When I started playing in beta, I saw the NPCs and went looking for a vendor that sold those clothes. It seemed like a no-brainer.
Of course, now we only have town clothes that are jokey, and that are exclusively available through the gem store.

Oh, a handy hint though: you can bind a key to change in to your town clothes.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

As said in other threads; LOTRO had about the perfect system where you could have a set of clothes for stats and another for image. This system misses the mark for me and my entire gaming clique.

I share the OPs opinion. Bringing modern clothing and affectations into this steampunk style universe does look cheap and is thematically breaking for me.

hehe, MOST, if not ALL, post launch decisions have been head scraching for me.
i wonder who makes the “final calls” at anet.

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I’ve never understood why we can’t buy NPC town clothes for our characters. There’s a wide variety of lovely fashion options that the NPCs wear, none of which are available to the players.
When I started playing in beta, I saw the NPCs and went looking for a vendor that sold those clothes. It seemed like a no-brainer.
Of course, now we only have town clothes that are jokey, and that are exclusively available through the gem store.

Oh, a handy hint though: you can bind a key to change in to your town clothes.

Exactly!

My girlfriend wants NPC clothing so bad. She sees so many nice, casual, game/race appropriate styles that she would love to wear, but has no way of getting them.

Her and I share the same thought that if I wanted to wear “joke” attire, we would play a game like Second Life where everyone looks ridiculous.

^

the “guild wars” world is whatever. the problem isnt each pieces individually, the problem is that it doesnt create a nice “whole”.

its a bit like the fractal of the mist; no lore, no logic, no one care.

go get those sunglasses !

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

This is the same thing that happened to Runescape and they even opened classic servers because they knew that for lovers of the original game, the items went too far and deviated from the natural aesthetic. Now Runescape may be a very different game, but it shares the same revenue model.

I trust Guild Wars to maintain their artistic integrity though, so I don’t have too much worry yet, but it is something to be aware of. Personally, I think the riding clothes and hoodies are very safe on this level.

As far as combat gear goes, I think they could be doing more in this regard but I understand why they are hesitant. No one wants to see the same skins all over the place. They have to be particularly cautious of design here, as to not throw everything off.

The most important thing I think they should immediately get to adding is COSTUME STORAGE! Not only is inventory space at somewhat of a premium, not having dedicated wardrobe storage limits sales on the gem store as people will have to weigh buying a cool item, or having inventory space.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Sadly it seems that the clothing they want to release, doesn’t fall in line with the game’s theme. Basically, it’s immersion breaking. Sorry but things like fluffy animal backpacks and hoodies tear away from the setting of the game entirely. I don’t remember walking around medieval times and seeing someone wearing a Nike hoodie or even a stuffed animal backpack.

Now don’t take that as a complaint though. While they are immersion breaking and completely against the theme of the game, I still have to buy them. My credit card literally jumps out of my wallet and holds a pellet gun to my head, forcing me to buy these outfits. So I really have no choice.

But I do understand where others are coming from, and while I don’t mind the immersion breaking outfits, I do hope that we get some actual outfits eventually that fit the theme of Tyria.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Zyst.3514

Zyst.3514

The clothing npcs wear, is often from the cultural sets. Alot of the nicer looking charrs (imo at least) are wearing the t3 medium set (looks like bones on the leggings). Noticed some sylvari wearing the light armors from cultural sets too.

Ranger main, no matter what nerf bat they hit us with!
SF guild on Jade Quarry.
Fav pet; Reef Drake

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

The clothing npcs wear, is often from the cultural sets. Alot of the nicer looking charrs (imo at least) are wearing the t3 medium set (looks like bones on the leggings). Noticed some sylvari wearing the light armors from cultural sets too.

Some, but there’s a great deal of, well, townspeople clothing that isn’t available in ANY form to players. You’d think that’d be the first kind of stuff they’d throw up in the store – stuff they already have modeled in game for the various races.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

GW2 isn’t set in a steampunk universe. Although a lot of the charr technology operates on steam, there’s a lot that doesn’t too. Then there are the asura, whose teleportation technology is beyond any real world transportation system available. To say nothing of the plethora of revealing female outfits which would have been unacceptable even for the Ladys of the Night in Victorian (steampunk) times. Hoodies? Particularly hoodies which are really just hoodied vests, really don’t contradict anything thematically.

Posted by: Khai.6435

Khai.6435

Okay but your nitpicking; I’m using Steampunk as a general reference to the steampunk/arcane/stargate “high fantasy” feeling of the game. It doesn’t change the fact that boxing gloves, aviator glasses and bunny ears are nothing more than kitsch.

We have a whole community complaining about the lack of diversity in daily combat gear wear; but they give us in town clothes for my asura’s “thug life”. Thanks, but no thanks.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I agree with the OP and I agree with this post. Post launch development has been almost entirely “head scratching”. The strategy for the Gem Store is one of the most befuddling, since it’s mismanagement and lack of content represents millions in lost revenue.

As to the recent offerings, the hoodies look ok, but yeah, do they really belong in the game? IMO, the pants are hideous, the boots aren’t much better and the gloves should probably be free.

I was very glad to see new offerings, the store has maybe 5% as many cosmetic items/skins as I would have expected by now, but I’m far from thrilled with the actual offering.

Arenanet really needs to hire some artist/modelers with an impressive portfolio in the fantasy genre and get them to work on quality gem store gear. Not only on brand new items, but doing the necessary conversions needed to offer more of the currently unavailable NPC skins for players.

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I use the town clothes when I’m just hanging out in the city, either crafting or browsing the trading post. I even changed the dye colors and thought I was pretty slick lol.

What does break the realism for me is running around when all the NPC’s are walking… so I mapped a key for run/walk toggle. Although I still run between the TP and the crafting stations b/c it takes too long

Posted by: Girlsgonewow.1032

Girlsgonewow.1032

Pretty much sums it up. I like the new clothes and I don’t think “ANet just doesn’t get it”. I’m switching to town clothes sometimes. What you’re probably missing is the concept of “fun”. I agree they should add way more clothes especially useful ones from a RP perspective, but I still like what they did so far.

Pretty much sums it up. I hate the new clothes and I don’t think “ANet gets it”. I’m never switching to town clothes. What you’re probably missing is the concept of “sense”. I agree they should add way more clothes especially useful ones from a RP perspective, and I still hate what they did so far.

Hey thats great! Because you don’t actually have to buy them!, amazing isnt it. Too bad they didnt put that in the gaming manual.

I think I might actually shell out the cash for it if the options weren’t so tacky.

“Come, my friends.
’Tis is not too late to seek a newer world.”
-“Ulysses”, by Alred, Lord Tennyson

(edited by Girlsgonewow.1032)

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

My toggle town clothes button has collected so much dust I don’t recognize it anymore.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

i don’t understand why the quaggan/charr backpack is normal armour, what’s up with that? it would fit with the hoodie they made for town clothes not your battle gear.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I’d be inclined to use it more if they didn’t keep switching back to armor everytime I took a hit.

dinominator.9862

I’d be inclined to use it more if they didn’t keep switching back to armor everytime I took a hit.

… or used an ability.

I noticed that if I use Elixir S with my Engineer my town clothes automatically get switched out.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I do not “dislike” townclothes. However, I don’t put them on very often.
IF I were planning to spend a lot of time just “hanging out” in town, then I would switch to them (I do own the witches outfit for halloween).
Unless I’m specifically hanging out for a while in a city, I have no need to “switch” to towns clothes.
Normally I’m only in a city for a short time. I don’t see any purpose to automatically switch the clothes when you enter/exit a city as some people prefer to show off their armor as opposed to their townsclothes.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

A handful of my friends seem to like the clothes.

It’s extra, so if you don’t like it, don’t get it. Just wait for new clothes. lol

Posted by: Enigma.7384

Enigma.7384

I do genuinely like the town clothes for each of the races. I go through and dye them until I find something i’m happy with, just like my armor. I don’t usually switch to them unless i’m hanging out with friends and chatting though. However, OP I must agree with the new clothes they have added. To be quite honest I find them “distasteful” to say the very least. The way they’ve advertised them and what they look like ultimately made me facepalm lol. I suddenly felt like I was in a Korean MMO or something of that nature. Would I be down for additional town clothes? Hell yea. Just as long as they fit the game world better.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

yes it’s one of those things that just makes you scratch your head. same goes for minis.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

dinominator.9862

yes it’s one of those things that just makes you scratch your head. same goes for minis.

I originally thought the boxing gloves were silly and no one would want that in the land of Tyria, but sure as the sun rises in the east, I saw someone with them.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I originally thought the boxing gloves were silly and no one would want that in the land of Tyria, but sure as the sun rises in the east, I saw someone with them.

oh i actually meant the equipping thing (nobody got time to re-equip clothes/minis every 3 min) but yeah some of the town clothes are bad.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

Maybe if they do something mildly insignificant such as an animation, increase move speed or increased crafting, people would actually wear them.

Posted by: ddoi.9264

ddoi.9264

People need something to do while wearing town clothes instead of standing around wasting time to consider buying them.
Preferably an activity that we can do to earn gold or karma or loot, even if it’s a small amount.
Like fishing. Or random “in-town” dynamic events that do not require combat. Mini games, bounty hunts, treasure hunting, etc.

(edited by ddoi.9264)

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I agree with the OP and I agree with this post. Post launch development has been almost entirely “head scratching”. The strategy for the Gem Store is one of the most befuddling, since it’s mismanagement and lack of content represents millions in lost revenue.

As to the recent offerings, the hoodies look ok, but yeah, do they really belong in the game? IMO, the pants are hideous, the boots aren’t much better and the gloves should probably be free.

I was very glad to see new offerings, the store has maybe 5% as many cosmetic items/skins as I would have expected by now, but I’m far from thrilled with the actual offering.

Arenanet really needs to hire some artist/modelers with an impressive portfolio in the fantasy genre and get them to work on quality gem store gear. Not only on brand new items, but doing the necessary conversions needed to offer more of the currently unavailable NPC skins for players.

I agree with you, and the OP.

Hoodies? Really? What’s next…….Nike and Sketchers shoes? Talk about breaking immersion. It just seems as if Anet is just wildly shooting in the dark with no real direction.

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

So…we need dancing clothes above most right now?

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I don’t understand people being upset about “modern clothing.” Please remember that this is a game with high tech laser weaponry, sophisticated hand guns, golems, the list goes on and on. The clothing Asura themselves wear is pretty futuristic looking at times, and with Lion’s Arch, there would be a definite melting pot of cultures. Saying “this looks too modern” would just artistically stagnate a game that should have huge freedom of design, especially as far as clothing is concerned. Guild Wars 2 is not set in our past. It is not a straight up Medieval themed game or anything like that. It’s not our past so you can’t say what is too “modern” looking for the setting. Only the creators can do that.

Now, what bothers me? Riding clothes in a game series where horses have never been seen, save for a few undead ones, a celestial horse, and a couple in concept art. I have never seen a living, normal horse in either Guild Wars. If they’re out there, you certainly can’t ride them. Equestrian riding gear is so out of place as to be mind-boggling and far, far removed from what players actually care about. They don’t look that great from a design standpoint, either. If you have to design equestrian gear for this game, you should really push the limits of the design, make something as exaggerated and fantastical looking as the available armours or it just sort of looks out of place and bland. The hoodies, however, are decent imo. Unusual with their sleevelessness, but still simple and not “busy” looking. It would be nice if there were options of hood up and hood down, though.

In the end, I wish clothing was skin you could apply to your armour. I’d rather run around in a hoodie than one of the numerous medium armour coats.

Posted by: Weebitt.3157

Weebitt.3157

“Hoodies? Really? What’s next…….Nike and Sketchers shoes? Talk about breaking immersion. It just seems as if Anet is just wildly shooting in the dark with no real direction” Villious 8530

Actually my Elly’s shoes look like athletic shoes, including the logo depending on how it’s colored. So, they are already in the game.

Posted by: kiwipearls.5237

kiwipearls.5237

I would like sexy town clothes skins..and sexier underwear

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Hoodies? Really? What’s next…….Nike and Sketchers shoes? Talk about breaking immersion. It just seems as if Anet is just wildly shooting in the dark with no real direction.

I just tried the clothes ingame and there’s absolutely nothing “immersion breaking” about them, unless you think the fact that a hoodie is actually called a hoodie does that. They absolutely don’t look off, maybe try yourself instead of just ranting based on what you read.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

If we already had a decent selection of town clothes, I could understand the addition of unusual/non-lore clothes.

But as it stands, its like, “_Hey, here’s a pair of aviator sunglasses to go with your… oh, you don’t have anything…that goes.. with aviator sunglasses… Well, how about some riding pants to go with your mou… Oh… you don’t have…”

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

What’s weird about the whole “town clothes” thing, is that there are only two sets of town clothes. I’m sure when events come out in the future, we’ll be able to earn masks and stuff, but for the time being it is really amazing how worthless the whole town clothes feature is.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I also don’t use town clothes, and I will never spend extra cash on them. I would happily buy some decent-looking armor from the gem store, though (both the available sets are tawdry or spiky, neither of which is good).

Posted by: asperbianca.3196

asperbianca.3196

I would be more inclined to buy town clothes if:

- I could choose to display them in combat
- There were more options to choose from
- It didn’t take inventory space to store unused town clothing

At the moment, there is nothing in the gem store that I would wear over my armor on my Asura, including the armor skin; it’s all too masculine looking. The best thing that I have seen in the gem store, as far as town clothing is concerned, is the dress that was released for Wintersday, unfortunately, I didn’t have the money to buy it at the time. But, as previously stated in the thread, there are a lot of pieces of clothing that I see the NPC townspeople wearing that I would love to have and would absolutely die to be able to visit an NPC in game and buy some.

Posted by: Miktar.4290

Miktar.4290

If they made town clothes give you a permanent 25% speed boost while in towns, they’d get a lot more use, people would have a better incentive to use them in towns.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I don’t want clothes that I could be wearing in RL. And I REALLY don’t want accessories that a little girl wears in RL. I’m playing a fantasy MMO for a reason.

I also think that we should have clothing “skins” ala LotRO rather than town clothes.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

I would be more inclined to buy town clothes if:

- It didn’t take inventory space to store unused town clothing

This. It’s been mentioned a few times elsewhere, but they could probably sell a LOT more fluff, if they gave us a way to store it. A town clothes locker would be a good start.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Big +1 for the auto switch idea there are items i would buy but then i think ok how many times would i actually bother to swap when i hit town

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

There is no point in town clothes if you can’t use your abilities.
Everytime i’m in town, i find myself using teleports/lunges/buffs to move quicker. The speed buff npc usually are out of hand, and need menu interaction, making me actually LOSE time to get to them and get buffed.

RPers might find some use for them, but i’ve never seen some roleplay in cities, where people just spam LFs and othe random stuff in map chat.

I guess if town clothes came with custom movement abilities and a permanent swiftness, they’d see some use….until then, nope.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I just wish there was a town cloth seller in town for selling basic clothes like what NPCs wear. I’m not too fond of my human commoner warrior looking like a princess in town clothes, it makes me avoid the feature altogether. Why can’t I get her more “normal” clothes? In fact, I think characters should change their town clothes depending on their biography. (Social rank for humans, legion for charr, etc.)

I also agree with having an auto-town cloth switch for when you enter a capital city.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I just tried the clothes ingame and there’s absolutely nothing “immersion breaking” about them, unless you think the fact that a hoodie is actually called a hoodie does that. They absolutely don’t look off, maybe try yourself instead of just ranting based on what you read.

Maybe dont make assumptions. I’ve seen em……don’t like em……that’s my opinion…….have a nice day.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Dang, it feels good to be a gangsta

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

“Hoodies? Really? What’s next…….Nike and Sketchers shoes? Talk about breaking immersion. It just seems as if Anet is just wildly shooting in the dark with no real direction” Villious 8530

Actually my Elly’s shoes look like athletic shoes, including the logo depending on how it’s colored. So, they are already in the game.

QFT. Someone at Anet has a really strange notion of what people actually want in the game.

Plush backpacks? Hoodies? Riding gear? None of these things are what the vast majority actually want in the game. As many have pointed out these items are at odds with the worlds ethos and setting. It is not only jarring, its completely immersion breaking on every level.

Its Anet pandering to the idiot hipsters on facebook and twitter rather than actualy being original and doing some proper work, like fixing the bugs and making content for high level characters, other than fractals.

Wont see me wasting gold on this load of crap thats for sure.

Posted by: thisolderhead.5127

thisolderhead.5127

Hint guys – the lovely female population of GW2 is less likely to be a forum warrior, and more likely to spend RMT shop, why is this relevant? Maple Story…

Really – how many of you all raging over the hoodies and closed toe shoes for cash are the target audience of the cosmetic part of the RMT shop?

(Betcha all just put hands up lol).

Feeling bad due to my response does not mean it was a personal attack.
It may just be that your original statement was wrong.
Please try again.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Thats an entirely sexist view of women gamers. All game players are the target audience for the RMT. Simple fact is Anet is wasting its resources on this stuff that wont sell as well as other products in the RMT sphere, particularly things that have been asked for since launch (name change for instance).

Anet making clothing skins is fine, and infact to be encouraged. But imo the current ethos and designs of these pieces are wholely lacking. Its pandering to hipsters.