Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/13/arenanet-explains-new-ascended-item-tier/

This is exactly a gear treadmill.

Ok, you want to appeal to the WoW fanbase, but for me it’s the end of GW.
If I wanted a WoW clone I’d just play pandas.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

Naoko did it occur to you that players who want to win in WvWvW need this new gear because of the better stats?
It’s not optional anymore…

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

I am excited. They said they’re only adding a ring and backpiece in this update. Not much of a grind if you ask me.

Magummadweller

(edited by Levistis.8356)

Posted by: Soma.8095

Soma.8095

I’m normally not one to complain about small stuff and I realize the new difference in stats may be minuscule, but this really takes some of the charm of this game away.

I think it takes the right amount of effort to aquire a full set of exotics right now. It is not too hard and not too easy. I am currently working on getting more exotic sets for my main and second characters. Getting the same sets again as ascended will be really annoying.

(edited by Soma.8095)

Posted by: bamono.7098

bamono.7098

I’m excited about the bottomless dungeon, it seems like a really cool concept. I just got to 80, and I really don’t have much to do besides grind away or work on alts.

I wish there was more story content in the works, like another path you start once you get to 80. That would be awesome. I’m new to MMOs, so a lot of this stuff is foreign.

I’ve just started playing WvW, so I’m beginning to understand a lot about the heart of the game. What I’m not understanding is the rage towards the new tier of equipment. The stats are ingrained in the weapon, so sigils/etc can’t be used to add or change stats. The blog post said legendaries would be adjusted to still be the highest tier. There is no indication that you can add/remove stats from the gear-we don’t know what the infusions will do for stats. So far all we know is that they will play into the new game mode. Sorry, it’s hard to say it’s a dungeon considering the nature of the level, and it gives me a whole new way to play the game. If this gear is just for this new mode and is something that lies in between the legendary grind and exotics….why is that a bad thing? I had exotics by 80 without grinding at all. The legendary grind is massive and extreme. What do I do until then? Just grind? This gives me a middle ground-and I don’t see why that’s such a bad thing. How does it make top tier gear obsolete when she said explicitly that they will be adjusting the top tier gear to remain so?

Maybe there is something I’m missing.

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

I’m not really into this idea, but i like reading all the troll comments.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Oh nooooo, I wont be able to progress to the deepest parts of the optional dungeon without the new armor which is only useful for this dungeon…. This game sucks omg you are tearing me apart Anet.

Its like all logic goes out the window when people come onto these forums.

l2read. The stats will work everywhere.

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a difference that extra 3 precision will make. Oh and cant forget that MF buff.

Power 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Power

Precision 68 vs 63 = 7.94% increase in Precision

Magic Find 10 vs 7 = 42.86% increase in Magic Find

So lets say a person get all pieces, that’s a nearly 8% increase in combat stats and a nearly 43% increase in magic find.

Not so little when you use percentages.

8% is not much at all considering all of the special effects some runes have that would make using infusions not worth it. And who cares about MF anyways, unless youre farming Orr all day I find it to be a useless stat.

People’s whole builds are about increasing their potential less than 1%.

Who cares? Obviously a lot of people care. To say 8% is nothing is denial. An 8% raise at work? Who cares! I mean, sure, I earn 100k a year, what is another 8 thousand dollars.

House loan is 1.2 million dollars at 3.2% interest. Lets just make it 11.2% interest! Another 8% is nothing…

This coming from a person that could not even add and subtract correctly.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Dogblaster.6713

Dogblaster.6713

I would like a dev to answer me one question – will Ascended be the only tier of rarity added to this game?

I can cope if this is the case. There is a gap between Exotics and Legendaries. Striving for exotics is a Short term goal, Legendaries a very, very long term one and something between them wouldn’t go amiss. That being said, if this is the gate to constantly having to upgrade my gear for every new release – particularly with this monthly update schedule Anet have set – then my feelings will change.

Even if they promised you and said yes, its the last tier. Would you believe them? I dont

Anet is fraud company to many of us now. Giving us all false info so we all buy the game and then they change it. Who cares what they promise now?

The next expansion will bring higher level cap and better items anyways, so .. the whole guild wars ideology is dead now

(edited by Dogblaster.6713)

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

“No, I hate the new ascended items.”

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

So much for …. " the MMO for the rest of us" tag line or " if you didn’t like other MMO’s you need to try GW2"
ANet you need to rethink this,… don’t cave into the top 5% of players and alienate the rest of us.

If we wanted WoW, AoC, SWTOR, WAR, LOTRO or any of another of a dozen endgame progression centric MMO’s that’s what we would be playing.

Be brave enough to trust in what you have made and stick to it!!!!!!!!

So what about crafting? Is it pointless now? If I want the best gear in the game can I no longer achieve it through a crafting profession?

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

People like to complain on these forums.

It was precursors
Then the black lion chests
Then the one time event for halloween
Then back to precursors
And now we have this fiasco.

And after everyone realizes its not as serious as theyre making it out to be they’ll find something else, probably precursors again lol.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: gianco.8409

gianco.8409

Its a good idea, so stop crying please. Instead of farming Orr for hours, seeing two people online out of 200 in my guild and reading complaints (same people who are now complaing, e.g. crying) about GW2 having no endgame at all, Anet is finally doing something about it.
And no in case you havent noticed: It isnt GW 1 and also nobody cares about you quitting.

You must think outside your PVE point of view. All this will affect the people who do not care about PVE at all, and that is the major problem here (PVErs are getting their christmas gift one month early, I guess). WWW does not need all this.

And about the second sentence of your post: care about being less rude, please? What are you, 12 years old?

[OSC] Nikla Tesla
Engineer – Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Transit.4158

Transit.4158

I know my voice won’t be heard, but you guys, they have released barely any information. Let them write the blog post they promised before freaking out.

Maybe it’s used to fight the karka, and it truly doesn’t require a grind at all. It’s all ok guys.

The blog post is out, and it’s exactly as bad as it sounds.

Posted by: Olivia Olive.3812

Olivia Olive.3812

No, I hate the new ascended items.

bamono.7098

Ok cool. I was afraid there was some glaring problem I couldn’t see.

Posted by: Sennar.2309

Sennar.2309

Thanks a lot for betrayed the Gw1 fan(6-7 million of people if i remember exactley).Now whit this upgrade to stats and items you want to mantain in gw2 people who come to outhers mmo whit gear treadmill.
Hoping that i’m wrong but now, isn’t gw2 whit gw phylosophy behind.
Stop doing that or gw2 will be another boring copy/paste Mmo.
Now you betray the Gw fan base that follow this game for 7 years.So, stop doing that and help gw2 to became more gw1, or we don’t play more this game.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

Jrunyon.3012

Oh nooooo, I wont be able to progress to the deepest parts of the optional dungeon without the new armor which is only useful for this dungeon…. This game sucks omg you are tearing me apart Anet.

https://d2vn94glaxzkz3.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Ascended-EN.png

Oh yeah, I forgot how much of a difference that extra 3 precision will make. Oh and cant forget that MF buff.

So lets say a person get all pieces, that’s a nearly 8% increase in combat stats and a nearly 43% increase in magic find.

8% is not much at all considering all of the special effects some runes have that would make using infusions not worth it. And who cares about MF anyways, unless youre farming Orr all day I find it to be a useless stat.

Who cares? Obviously a lot of people care. To say 8% is nothing is denial. An 8% raise at work? Who cares! I mean, sure, I earn 100k a year, what is another 8 thousand dollars.

House loan is 1.2 million dollars at 3.2% interest. Lets just make it 11.2% interest! Another 8% is nothing…

Those situations arent comparable. And I didnt know my math skills were being tested, its 6:30am

Nesmee – Thief

Posted by: Godomir.7159

Godomir.7159

Hi all,
After this news about ascended gear, I´m worry about the fact of now if you want your “new exotics” you only would be able to obtain them making dungeons (aka:raids, inis…).

Not all people likes raids, inis, dungeons, for much people are boring, repetitive, and crazy. I like PVE open world and PVP or WvsW, but not dungeons.

I came to GW2 because I loved the idea that the same person had several ways to obtain the SAME gear: Via karma (Temples: Lyssa, Melandru..), Via crafting, Via WvsW (Badges) and Via dungeons (neverending raids and cicles doing the same over and over).
SO I decided without doubt it was the best decision in the history of MMORPG.

Now my finished character (and my alts!! :S) are forced to do a specially hard and long dungeon to grind for gear that should be also able to obtain in the same other ways??

You can say that the new gear is only for use in dungeons, but NO. That is for the infusions, but if you see the screenshot comparation between the 2 rings, you can see a slightly better stats in the “grinded” one. Take this and multiply by 5 pieces of jewellry, and 6 pieces of armor, and that “slightly” increase in stats can be A LOT more.

Then again, is going to be a step between “raiders” and not raiders. No matter how many hours you play, or if you are more interested in pvp, the only thing is raiders will be above the rest.

Also the fact that only 3 months after release, I have to start again to Re-equip my chars? No thanks.
I refused in Lotro (where I come), I never do raids, fellowships, or small fellowships. I liked PVE open world, and ettenmoors, but not be forced to be trapped in a cave, dungeon, place for hours, doing the same over and over, same mechanics, same all (no matter if 1000 ways) grinding for something that should be available to ALL by different ways.

I´m not saying that the new gear should be free or easy, but also get badges in WvsW is not “easy”, get some ingredients in recipes for craft (mystic forge specially) is not “easy”, but I would prefer to have 3 or 4 different ways to obtain this at least.

It´s only my humble opinion, I know that several players will complain about why people don´t like dungeon/raids/inis but is as respectable as those who like play that.

Thanks for the attention.

(edited by Godomir.7159)

Posted by: Quietlife.4036

Quietlife.4036

At this point I see the point of having multiple lv80s as more of a setback than anything. Just when you think you have finally accomplished something like getting full exotics and fancy arah weapons on all of your characters, Arenanet decides to scale the level of “achieving something” even higher by introducing a new tier of armors and in the future: ascended weapons.

I will just say this: it DOES NOT MATTER if ascended gear is only a tiny bit better than exotics. It is HUMAN NATURE to achieve the best there is whether it is in real life (job/school etc.) or even in MMORPGS. Everyone wants to have the best gear regardless of how tiny the advantage is. It is already frustrating that there is a lack of incentive to do any other dungeons besides brainfart easymode CoF/AC/TA/CM. I rarely see people break the mold and try to challenge themselves with Arah and HotW. Now i expect to see people going straight to 80→ farm the heck out of AC/Cof for some easy exotics and jump straight into getting ascended armor. Who cares about the other exotic dungeons anymore when there is better gear out there to be had?

Even if the the notion of “gear threadmill” in GW2 is tiny, gear grind is still gear grind.

/endrant.
-GW1 Veteran with 3 lv80s/ 2 full T3 Cultural Sets + 60% to Legendary Twlight.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

People are really so paranoid here. 56 pages.
Don’t worry too much. -_-

- PLEASE Read This -

They still live by their philosophy. Why can’t you guys see that?
More importantly, what are you guys afraid of?

GW2: Ascended gears are just another tier. It’s not a requirement to have it to experience any future new content X/Y/Z. You can have fun with all in-game content and dungeons with any tier equipments. You don’t need to grind to experience content X/Y/Z.

Traditional MMO: Better gears are needed to experience new contents, story in PVE and raids. Those gears are a mandatory requirement to reap the fun of the the new content X/Y/Z. Players are forced to grind just to experience newer content.

They are so different.
Yet, it ponders me why can’t people see it.

Posted by: rubmywontons.3972

rubmywontons.3972

I’m just waiting for a dev to pop in.

Posted by: saurus.8290

saurus.8290

and how this affect you?

10 more dmg make you more PRO?
0.00001% more crit chance make you more PRO?
getting 4% MF in WvW make you more PRO?
not able to add runes, orbs or sigils to these items make you more PRO?

Jrunyon.3012

How do you know theyre not making them craftable? Stop assuming things and wait until the content is released.

Nesmee – Thief

Posted by: Wagnard.4027

Wagnard.4027

Those situations arent comparable.

But they are. An overall 8% change in the game balance is a lot.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

No for better stats, yay for new gear.

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

Where the thousands of hours of grinding? its a dungeon…one that everyone will do…wheres the tier of gear? its kittening 2 stat point increase per stat…

The posted ring has about +7,9% power and precision and even around +42% magic find and an infusion-slot on top of it.

This is a game with open-pvp/WvW where any slightest advantage is used! If you consider this stats-increase even without infusion as meaningless, you prove that you have no idea what you´re talking about!

It´s the same in PvE – who uses rares if he can have exotics? As a result you can dump all exotics and all professions which can´t craft better items into the trash.

And this only 2 months after release and against a core-part of the dev´s philosophy for GW. How desperate or stupid must someone be to do such a thing?

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

We came here not to have another endless grind. We don’t want the game to be destroyed by whiners. Please, think again Anet. Thank you.

endless grind? ever heard about a thing called Legendary weapon? that thing is already in game yoy

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

- PLEASE Read This -

GW2: Ascended gears are just another tier. It’s not a requirement to have it to experience any future new content X/Y/Z. You can have fun with all in-game content and dungeons with any tier equipments. You don’t need to grind to experience content X/Y/Z.

Traditional MMO: Better gears are needed to experience new contents, story in PVE and raids. Those gears are a mandatory requirement to reap the fun of the the new content X/Y/Z. Players are forced to grind just to experience newer content.

They are so different.

It was said in that dev blog post that infact to complete the new dungeon you would infact need the new gear. You CAN NOT finish it with only MC/Rare/Exotic gear.

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

Nah, people are moaning because moaning is what people do.

The new gear tier is actually very, very clever. if you want to progress further and further into this one feature, you’ll need more of a stat that makes progressing further and further possible.

No one needs the new gear. It’s a trade off.

Personally I applaud Anet for this lateral thinking; by adding variable infusions to the game in a teir of gear that is clearly intended for PvE, they’ve created a framework that allows them to add challenging content WITHOUT the need to re-gear completely.

Add a new dungeon with interesting mechanics? Introduce new infusions that players can apply to their existing gear, etc etc.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Dogblaster.6713

No. Well done Areanet, fraud company!

Posted by: stonejoint.8740

stonejoint.8740

I would like a dev to answer me one question – will Ascended be the only tier of rarity added to this game?

I can cope if this is the case. There is a gap between Exotics and Legendaries. Striving for exotics is a Short term goal, Legendaries a very, very long term one and something between them wouldn’t go amiss. That being said, if this is the gate to constantly having to upgrade my gear for every new release – particularly with this monthly update schedule Anet have set – then my feelings will change.

This a mid tier between exotic and legendary becasue acquiring extoics is too easy and legendarys too hard.

Posted by: Wagnard.4027

Wagnard.4027

10 more dmg make you more PRO?
0.00001% more crit chance make you more PRO?
getting 4% MF in WvW make you more PRO?
not able to add runes, orbs or sigils to these items make you more PRO?

The stats is just ONE problem.
Another one is “Restricted Content” = bad idea (If you have multiple alts, you can see the problem in the long run)

BTW : Your argument is a fallacy Ad Hominem

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

We came here not to have another endless grind. We don’t want the game to be destroyed by whiners. Please, think again Anet. Thank you.

endless grind? ever heard about a thing called Legendary weapon? that thing is already in game yoy

Which is completely optional.

Posted by: Godomir.7159

Godomir.7159

I wish you have reason, seriously Jrunyon, I wish to be wrong…

Posted by: Amulrei.4973

Amulrei.4973

The glaring problem is the entire system introduces gating and a gear progression treadmill, both which have been repeatedly claimed to be against the design manifesto by AN’s own officials, including their own company president. The idea of Ascension gear flies in the face of that and it is no surprise people are angry. That core ideal was the reason many people bought this game, myself included.

Now no one is against the design and implementation of more end-game content. The game is clearly in dire need of that. But the promise was that such content would not set off a slippery slope that would least us back to the very reason many of us left other MMOs. Less then three months later and we are staring down the barrel of that exact situation.

That is the problem.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Those situations arent comparable. And I didnt know my math skills were being tested, its 6:30am

When you use math as your argument, you should know how to do math and understand what that math means.

Percentages are more important than a single number because percentages represent part of a whole.

(edited by illgot.1056)

Posted by: Transit.4158

Transit.4158

- PLEASE Read This -

They are so different.

How can I enjoy WvWvW now that my gear is sub-optimal? This mean the people who grinded to get full ascended and infused gear will have an edge in the game, and this game was supposed to be Skill > Gear. To stay competitive I have to upgrade all my gear. And man, it’s just a matter of time before we will see “LF2M ASC/INFUSED GEAR ONLY”

This is just the first step towards a much much worse game.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

This a mid tier between exotic and legendary becasue acquiring extoics is too easy and legendarys too hard.

Acquiring legendaries is too hard so let’s add something worse than them but harder to acquire than exotics and required to enjoy the new content we make. I’m sure having to gind some 20-25g per piece gear after the players grind a 2-3g per piece exotic set will be a great help for them to get legendaries

Dogblaster.6713

The whole point of Guild Wars was that best items ingame were obtained easy. And then you focus on visual skins.

This ruined the Guild Wars. This is not the game i bought anymore.

can we please have old developers team back? from GW 1 i mean? Thanks

Posted by: Myrrdhinn.5627

Myrrdhinn.5627

I usually respect everyone’s opinion and don’t involve myself into such argument, but I hate to see this..

Stop whining.. seriously!
You don’t have to get the Ascended armor set unless you want to play the new dungeon. It’ll basically gives better protection against the new game mechanic.
It ‘ll slightly powerful than exotic yes, but guess what, I don’t have full exotic set and I don’t have a single problem with dungeons, WvW whatsoever.

So.. you making yourselves the problem. If you don’t want it you don’t get it. It’s that simple. If you don’t like the new dungeon, you don’t go in there. You won’t miss on anything.

So.. you making yourselves the problem. If you don’t want it you don’t get it. It’s that simple. If you don’t like the new dungeon, you don’t go in there. You won’t miss on anything.Duh…

Posted by: Valhallen.1693

Valhallen.1693

The reason for the rage is many of us left World of Warcraft because we were tired of the gear treadmill. Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be a revolutionary next gen MMO that didn’t have said treadmill. Now, not even 3 months into the game, Anet has created a gear treadmill.

Having to work for gear to improve your character is called grinding or progression. That’s fine, and is expected in any MMO. Having to replace your “end game” gear with new “end game” gear when a new major content patch comes out is NOT progression, it’s a never ending treadmill. Ascended gear is exactly that. Here’s some quotes from Anet:

“New Condition: Agony

In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.

This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge."

“The Future of Items Progression

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content."

This is why we’re pissed.

(edited by Valhallen.1693)

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Really NO, im not exicted bout this! im not excited abount the new plans of gear progression!

at beginning of the game, when i payed my 50€ for the game… it was clear one thing: You can acquire the gear with the best stats in a small amount of time, and then you hasve to “grind” to have a better estetics of it. this GOLDEN rule is dissapering even if its a mere 1% to stats, because its still an improvement!

and:

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. EVENTUALLY you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

EVENTUALLY? EVENTUALLY???

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Eyevan.6027

Eyevan.6027

don’t have much to do besides grind

This, because this is pretty much what the entire game is.

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

The gear treadmill is always bad.

Take WoW for an example. New content and new gear go hand in hand, but the only purpose of the new gear is to make players more durable and let them do more dps. But that’s only necessary cause the content is desiged that way. They could also have designed the content to be doable without those new items, and that wouldn’t have been that hard. As long as you don’t increse mob healt and damage output you don’t need new gear. Mechanics don’t care about numbers, they work with 10 HP and 2 dmg per attack the same way as they work with 10.000 HP and 2.000 dmg per attack.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Jrunyon.3012

Those situations arent comparable.

But they are. An overall 8% change in the game balance is a lot.

Id take a lot of different rune sets over a 1% crit rate increase and a bit of extra power any day.

Nesmee – Thief

Posted by: Luzbel.9735

Luzbel.9735

No, I hate the “new” tier ascended items.

bamono.7098

I feel like most of the people on the forums are sPvP and WvW players. But yeah, I think it’s cool that I have something to do while “growing” into my legendaries that isn’t Plinx. Also an ever changing dungeon that doesn’t end, keeps getting harder and drops better/more loot? How can the hardcore grinders not LOVE this?

Posted by: Valtzu.7153

Valtzu.7153

Wake up people. Don’t exaggerate things, in the picture shown above, you can see that the difference between Exotic and Ascended is only 5 stat points… That will not ruin your gaming experience.

In my humble opinion the patch sounds pretty good. I don’t know what’s up with this whining here, people complaining about grinding and such things… It ain’t grinding if you just need to do some dungeon runs to achieve the new trinkets… Don’t you want new updates in the game, just play the game as it is now?, and eventually get bored? Makes no sense imo…

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

I can live with set for “dungeon” idea, ascended as gear for this new high level content. Still this = farming this conent = bad idea because it just replace cursed shore with something else. Its not solution of the problem it only shift it to other place.
But this ring on screen is just “better”. And because of it exotic for now lost their value. And because you are planning to do it with armors and weapons too its just bad idea. Even more defense is just enough to get new armor, the same with weapon damage.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Stop whining.. seriously!

I want a refund on the exotic gear I bought at the trading post. When I bought it I was promised it was the best gear available. Now it isn’t anymore.