I'm getting so tired of this...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

1. Overflows

I’m so sick of being booted off my home server into overflows. It is happening everywhere. What is the point in having a home sever, with a community of people you know, if every time you log in, you’re tossed in with a mixed group of strangers?

Why am I not a priority on my own server? Why are servers not creating overflows for my specific server?

2. Disconnects

I’m so tired of being half way through content, being disconnected and then finding myself on some other overflow, missing achievements, or screwed out of rewards.

This is an online game. That means disconnects are a fact of life. Why isn’t the game intelligent enough to save our spot for a few moments?

3. Insta-kills

Why is it that I can spend a bunch of gold on my level 80 character, and still be basically insta-killed by AoE and invisible enemies? I’m so tired of ANet thinking the way to make things harder is to make everywhere you step a danger. I’m a melee player, yet I’m punished for playing that way.

I stand in a sea of FX and get insta-downed by some stupid fire/poison/freeze condition.

4. Dulfy

Why do so many things in this game seem to require walk through guides? I show up, talk to Rox, and then stand around like a complete idiot, not having any idea what to do…so, I log into Dulfy and realize, “somehow” the website has all the information I need to complete the quest.

I’m so tired of ANet being lazy with design and relying on (or feeding the information to) third party websites, so players can finish content. If you want me to go on a quest to find stuff, give me some clues in-game! Don’t create vague, lazy content and expect me to run around aimlessly until I happen across it.

5. Stop trying to force me to play

You’ll get your money! Forcing me to play with time gated content, and “only here for a limited time” nonsense is making me not want to play. My girlfriend sat there last night and “Dulfied” her way through the entire update because she knew she wouldn’t have time otherwise.

How is this fun? Why am I here?

Every day I log in, it’s boss timers, crystal infusions, kill 50 rats, kill 5 vets, Akitten daily activity….

Then, sit and wait 24 hours so I can do it all over again. This is all so I can eventually get gear to help me….what….champ farm in Queensdale in style?

I’m here to play a game, not do task lists.

6. Achievements, Achievements, Achievements, Achievements

Why is everything an achievement? Why is everything locked to an achievement? And why are my achievements based on large groups of players doing everything right?

I’m becoming so tired of being a slave to achievements. I’m no longer here to play, I’m here to blast through as many achievements as I can, just in case I don’t find time in the next few weeks to get them. I need them, because they give me points, and points give me gear and gold.

So, new content comes out, and the first thig I do is open the achievement panel and figure out the fastest possible way to get through the content. I can’t afford not to. What happens if I want to do something else for a few days, or become busy with life? Well, I better blast through everything just in case, cause the not so living world will all go back to sitcom normal in two weeks.

EDIT 7. Time Gating

So, let me get this straight. ANet creates rapid fire, temporary content.

Players, trying desperately to experience all the content, farm, or maintain some semblance of a normal life, blast through content (usually with the help of Dulfy). ANet, thinking this is no good, starts making things time-gated, adds timers, and cycles in content (mini-games).

Now, players who want to play, are told they can’t play. So, if I want to farm baubles in the SAB for a Saturday because I won’t get time in the next week, I can’t. I’m forced to log in every 24 hours, or miss my chance to get baubles.

I control my time ANet, not you. If you want to start making everything time-gated, trying to force me to play every day….you will lose this battle.

It’s so strange. If you fall into the “play every day” trap, you just accept it, and mind-numbingly do it without thought. If you take a few days off and come back…you realize that what you’re doing in the game is not playing, it’s just doing repeatative tasks over and over.

I think that is why ANet needs to kep us all playing. If we clue in that were not really doing anything, we will find something more productive to do.

I’ll write some “suggestions” later, but I have to visit the loo.

(edited by Crazylegsmurphy.6430)

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

Good points, all of them. I especially agree with #4. If it wasn’t for Dulfy, I srsly wouldn’t have a clue what to do.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If Dulfy ever quits doing her guide, this stuff will get really hard. Talking to Rox didn’t let me know there was a track nearby to find. And just finding her would have been hard if not for Dulfy.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

If Dulfy ever quits doing her guide, this stuff will get really hard. Talking to Rox didn’t let me know there was a track nearby to find. And just finding her would have been hard if not for Dulfy.

I wouldn’t even have found Rox if I hadn’t got one shot by a rot mouth and she came over to res me.
I had been looking for her for 10 min.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

Okay, I’m always really supportive of what Arenanet as a whole have done, but I must say, the marketing/managers who made the decision to make so many events on such short time schedules really did choose poorly in my opinion. It forces the devs to have to work on new content to stay on schedule, probably instead of the backlog of improvements they’d prefer to make, and when I work long hours myself, including on weekends for the past 4 months, makes it hard to get in enough time to join in any of the living story content. And I REALLY want to.
Not a lot that can be done now, but I agree with at least that observation.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Yes Thank Kormir for Dulfy.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Very good points there OP.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Do y’all remember the Halloween search for the clues to get the Mad Memories? I didn’t have the faintest idea how to figure out the clues, and still don’t.

For example:
- Stories yet untold despite the power that marks a spooky site. When humans flee their homes of old, where they settle cannot be told.

How in the world does anyone figure this sort of thing out without an outside guide?

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

Yet another very constructive and well written post that will be completely ignored by ANET.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Do y’all remember the Halloween search for the clues to get the Mad Memories? I didn’t have the faintest idea how to figure out the clues, and still don’t.

For example:
- Stories yet untold despite the power that marks a spooky site. When humans flee their homes of old, where they settle cannot be told.

How in the world does anyone figure this sort of thing out without an outside guide?

That one was actually pretty well-made. Humans flee their homes of old and settle somewhere → Ascalon Settlement. Spooky site → graveyard.

At least it has a clue and is a puzzle. Usually, normal “go there” quests are harder to figure out than those puzzles, because you’re not given a clue.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I agree with all the points laid out. ANET really needs to STOP this kitten and start FIXING content already out and working on REAL CONTENT in the form of AN EXPANSION, but, they can’t because NCsoft CONTROLS/OWNS THEM.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

About the points:
1: It would be good if they reinforce the server so it can have more people on, but theres a limit, also include that will make your next complaining been that your fps will be more low (than ever before) because so many people and so many mobs spawned. (cause and consequence, thnk what will happen before complaining, seriusly…).
2: Compart your opinion.
3: One shots or fast killing are good, means you need to know what to do and execute it good. the problem is if you arent rendering what killed you (invisible mobs, etc), in that i think the same (and it happened to me 2 times, before last patch: insta kill by unknown, and never rendered him lol).

4: It doesnt need dulfy, someoen (if not dulfy herself) did it so the information is in the web. It take more time to do it, also doing that kind of things for yourself get faster with practice (if you use too much dulfy, you are not getting used to observe what is happening, search, read the achivments and what are them about, etc).

5: Personally im not against living story (except if great part is living story).

The problem is that people want to do all the content (or experience it all), you are forcing yourself, and anet can be (only can be lol) using that “need to do all” you have, to mantain you logged in. Up to you to fix it.

6: Well is true that achivments have more sense if its something worthy of praise or difficult to get. But, for other part they give some people a sense of progression, something to do (i dont like achivment farming but exist), it reward people for discovering the game (example: you learned how to craft and it give you a achivment).

7 See point 5.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I did have some trouble with “helping Rox” as she said we were going to go soon. OK! So I waited for a bit, she just kept wandering around rezzing people (lol) so I gave up and went to mine some ore and found both of the things I was supposed to find. I’m a habitual Dulfy user so I was a little shocked at my ability find them on my own.^^

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Dulfy is on the test server, that’s how she has the one up on the events.

The test server is not public and is by invite only.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

+1
very well written. tried it on my own but im not good at this. agree in every point and could add some more things but the main things r already said and i dont want to screw up this post. im very angry lately about the non existing interessed of giving us enjoyable content.
probably another thread that doenst get any attention from anet.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

5: Personally im not against living story (except if great part is living story).

The problem is that people want to do all the content (or experience it all), you are forcing yourself, and anet can be (only can be lol) using that “need to do all” you have, to mantain you logged in. Up to you to fix it.

Of course people want to do content. I thought that’s what new content is for. I think people are not complaining that there is new content, they feel stressed that this new content vanishes after a very limited time window and only during this time you are able to do it.

Ofc I can decide not to play but this is what I can do with the entire game. I always thought new content was made to keep people playing and not to chase them away from playing. I WANT to play the living story but the time window is mostly so short that it drags out my motivation to do it from the beginning because I will end up beeing half way through or having to hurry so I can do everything. I personally got nothing against the living story but the timing could definitely need some adjustment imo.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

#1, #3 disagree
#2 #4 #5 #6 #7 agree

I had been to Teq twice, didn’t even notice Rox, or the footprints, or the tooth, until I went to visit Dulfy to save me from a headache and further hating ANets implementation of content.

Go back to your roots anet.

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

Yeah, if it wasn’t for Dulfy you all would have to actually play the game or worse (GASP!), search for things!

*Trembles

Team Peenk

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Yeah, if it wasn’t for Dulfy you all would have to actually play the game or worse (GASP!), search for things!

*Trembles

The problem is there is no information in the game to get you started. And that is why Dulfy becomes the go to for info.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Or use the wiki or YouTube instead

Morrigan.2809

*Trembles

If it wasn’t for Dulfy I would spend all my time searching for a needle in a haystack. Instead of “gasp” play the game.
The game is not very good at giving information related to the game in the actual game.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Why am I not a priority on my own server?

Because it’s not your own server. Someone was there first, you missed the opportunity.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

#1, #3 disagree
#2 #4 #5 #6 #7 agree

Pretty much same here.

In regards to disconnects, I still don’t understand why this thread didn’t get more support. Because man, I think this stuff needs to be addressed, urgently.

Regarding the expectation that we just run over to Dulfy and follow walk-throughs, I see how that happened, and I understand why, but it’s no fun. The content is now designed to be played this way. There’s no way you’de be able to find the 10 dragon teeth just by combing through the map, in reasonable time. So ignoring the guides is not an option either.
I find this particularly disheartening after a discussion that has been going on for months about story delivery and exposition, and ANet saying that they were addressing this – and this particular update is taking 3 steps back instead of a step forward.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Agree with all points.

However of course i highly respect Dulfys great work, but yeah .. without her we could have serious problems.

3: One shots or fast killing are good, means you need to know what to do and execute it good. the problem is if you arent rendering what killed you (invisible mobs, etc), in that i think the same (and it happened to me 2 times, before last patch: insta kill by unknown, and never rendered him lol).

One Hit Kills are always just bad lazy game design, the same as simply more damage and more HPs for bosses each time when some people cry for “more challenge”.

But players will never learn from history, since that has happend so often already in other MMOs ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

A few people seem to disagree with a few points I’ve made, so I would like to expand a tad.

1. Overflow

To clarify, I have nothing against other players on other servers. I don’t have any issues battling along side others that aren’t on the same server as mine, I mean we’re all trying to basically do the same goal.

The problem I have with being booted to an overflow is that I quickly lose my sense of community. It feels like I’m in some sort of limbo that while is still Guild Wars 2, isn’t really MY Guild Wars 2.

What I mean is, if there is an epic battle, or something really cool that happens on my home server, and I was stuck in overflow, not only do I miss the event, but I miss the sense of community that comes with it.

For example, I heard Black Gate was one of the first servers to beat Tequatl. I can only imagine how cool that would have been to have that be the “talk of the town” in Lions Arch afterwards. For all of those on Black Gate who were bumped to an overflow, they will forever miss that sense of community, even though they are a part of that community.

It’s like going to opening night at a movie in your own town, finding out the show is sold out, and then find yourself driving 30 min to the next town over. Sure, you got to see the same movie as your peers, but missed out on all the additional social aspects.

I think a few have misinterpreted what I have said here. I’m not for a moment suggesting that there shouldn’t be overflows. I’m actually saying that if overflows need to happen, then they should first be prioritized by server. So, if you’re on Black Gate (or whatever), and there are too many people fighting a world boss, the overflow should grab players from the same server and fill up an overflow.

This should happen until there aren’t enough players to fill spots, in which case they can choose whether they want to be paired up with other random people.

This would mean that even if you were bumped to overflow, you would at least be with the people on your server. The same people you see running around in the game all other times, the same ones on your friends list, the same ones you’ve helped in that hard Jumping Puzzle.

3. Insta-kills

I like mechanics in games that make me think and respond. It is obviously much more interesting than standing there button mashing with one finger while eating a bowl of Frosted Flakes.

The problem is when the mechanics result in players spending more time dead, than learning. Dying in GW2 means that you have two three options.

1. You lay there until someone revives you.
2. You WP and run back to try again
3. You use a revive orb

All of these options are time spent not playing, and not learning.

If I show up to a boss fight and am hit with some unknown force (AoE, projectiles, etc), and find myself dead, by the time I make it back to the fight, it may be over. If I am getting downed constantly, but getting revived, I often find myself simply running around trying to figure out what is going on, only to be downed again (less energy each time).

This is not entertaining, nor educational.

(edited by Crazylegsmurphy.6430)

Jordy.1570

this video explains most of your points. there u can find the “why”. posted it already on another thread but i must say it fits most threads. u need to understand the idea behind everything. everything is there for a reason.

“The Evil Game Design Challenge”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duqqVHTGRA&feature=youtu.be&t=21m10s

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Totally agree 100% with the op’s points, very well posted and thought up, i hope Anet takes all this feedback as its definitely needed.

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

*Trembles

If it wasn’t for Dulfy I would spend all my time searching for a needle in a haystack. Instead of “gasp” play the game.
The game is not very good at giving information related to the game in the actual game.

I never knew about the site till I googled it for champ trains. So, how did I get by on my own?

I am sure it does a great service to most but it also holds your hand. The things you eventually find in the game extend your enjoyment and reward when you do figure them out.

I have always hated the guy who bought the puzzle and set the box up to wear he could see what the puzzle would look like complete — but to eaches own.

Team Peenk

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

I am sure it does a great service to most but it also holds your hand. The things you eventually find in the game extend your enjoyment and reward when you do figure them out.

I hid $1000 in your home town. You have one day to find it. Go!

Posted by: EATtheDEAD.4768

EATtheDEAD.4768

My first mmo had a system that I feel was better than achievements. It was called your Legend, you would do crap in the world, like quests, pvp fights, events, crafting, god worship, pretty much everything in the kitten game would go on your legend.

Which was viewable in your profile by you and others, if you allowed it. So it was basically your achievement system but it happened out of you just playing the game, and it was cool for others to check out like “Oh wow, this dude was around for that event?! DAAAAAAAYUMM!!!!!” It even recorded your birth(the day you create the character) in the year/day/season of the game.

Which went along with what the OP kinda hates, the time gated content. Nexus had a lot of time gated content but it was all run by GM’s most of the time. It was things like civil wars, pirate invasions, God wars. You could take part it in or not, it was up to you. But you would get some cool kitten items and legend marks if you did. And a lot of the content was a one time thing that never ever happened again.

I loved it, made you feel like you were actually part of a evolving world. I’m not sure if that what Anet is going for but it doesn’t bother me. The one thing that I don’t like is how heavily instanced it all is.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

1. Overflows — I agree. They really need to expand the unmber of players on a map. whenever there is new content, you are going to be tossed into overflow most likely. Is this to create the illusion that the game is just so populated? Not to mention, I really hate the fact that arenanet funnels us into one or two zones per update.

2. Disconnects — Haven’t really experienced these so I cannot speculate.

3. Insta-kills — Arenanet has become notorious for their lazy boss design. Bosses have enormous health pools, tons of bad floor, and a lot of one-shot mechanics..or at least mechanics that take away 3/4 of your HP. Tequatl seems like a good start with mixing up the mechanics, but the majority of bosses in the game are stupidly one-dimensional. Fractal bosses are a decent step in the right direction. The molten TEMPORARY dungeon was a good step. But I really think arenanet is lazy as hell with regard to this. How do you launch a game, say explorables are SO hard…and think that the difficulty comes from anywhere other than one-shot kills.

4. Dulfy — Dont get me started on Dulfy. Its like she gets the content before any of us, has her achievements, and then sits back. Its like she works for Arenanet or something. Why is she treated any different? So what, she has a website…big whoop. Arenanet could stop being lazy and actually explain achievements and these living story updates a bit better. Nope, they have a schedule to keep to..pump out the content and let dulfy handle the explanation. Lazy..again, 3 points..lazy.

5. Stop trying to force me to play — I agree. What happened to play as you want to play? Oh no no no..if you want anything decent stat wise or looks wise in the game, you need to run through a series of ‘mandatories’…Dailys, crystal charges, chest events for rares, etc etc. Also, I point to a developer post long ago when guild missions came out and we were wondering why they tied ectos to an ascended piece. The dev said “We want to encourage people to participate in guild missions for these pieces”. Oh that infuriated me. I dont want to be in a guild, or rather one that is large enough for guild missions. I like smaller ones. I dont want to run guild missions. But I want that piece…but youre making it cost an arm and a leg to acquire instead of a few guild mission runs. Stop trying to influence how I want to play the game. Stop trying to steer me.

6. Achievements, Achievements, Achievements, Achievements — I agree. Every update is nothing more than an achievement checklist. Forget quality, immersion, lore and story. Forget meaningful content that impacts the world at a substantial level. Forget adding things that we have been clamoring for for an entire year(new class? skills, new dungeons, harder dungeons, new zones, more personal story)…Lets just throw tons of achievements at them and dangle a mini at the end. Thats real good stuff.

EDIT 7. Time Gating — Time gating is a lazy mans way of creating content. “Well I only have a few weeks of creating content for these guys, lets time gate it so that I can create LESS and give the illusion that we have a ton for you to do each day you log in.” Really?

Whos making these decisions?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Achievement Points should be renamed to “Game Points” or “Tyrian Points” or what so ever… They aren’t Achievements. The GW1 achievements were a 100x better than the ones in GW2.

Less is more, quality over quantity. Meh

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Don’t worry guys. ANET will just ignore this post and nothing will happen.

/sarcasm off

Sorry for my english.

Beldin.5498

/sarcasm off

I know what will happen .. they continue to change all bosses with more HPs and more oneshot kills, untill most player say : stop that in the open world .. make it instanced raid-encounters.

And then they finally can implement EQ/WoW-Style Raids even after most players didn’t wanted them in the past. But now .. hey they players just said they want it.

And just look at the Tequatl forum .. there are more and more posts like that.

And after that .. prepare for Ascended+1 Stuff

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Jordy.1570

/sarcasm off

I know what will happen .. they continue to change all bosses with more HPs and more oneshot kills, untill most player say : stop that in the open world .. make it instanced raid-encounters.

And then they finally can implement EQ/WoW-Style Raids even after most players didn’t wanted them in the past. But now .. hey they players just said they want it.

thats the politicians way… psychology is very interessting….

cesmode.4257

/sarcasm off

Sarcasm? That will actually happen. You werent being sarcastic.

But this thread will probably be modded to high heaven, along with any other thread displaying any sort of criticism. The thread will be closed eventually, some infractions given out. I’ll probably get my response here deleted and given an infraction.

I truely think there is no oversight on the moderation of these forums. Ive tried to get in contact with some sort of manager before because this is the most terribly moderated forum Ive bever been a part of. I got no where.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Dulfy should charge ArenaNet for the service, imho…

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I’ve felt for a long time this game has changed in a direction that I personally don’t like. I knew very well it would be different from GuildWars 1, but here this is the feel I get:

Content? You got it. Everything.
Want anything else, and I mean, anything at all – Skins, pets, any conveinance item, upgrades, anything that costs – Either pay up or grind like this MMO was korean. And I don’t like it. GW2 was for me supposed to be the laid back cozy kind of MMO where you can come and go as you please. All the temporary crap (although nice content), time gating makes me feel stressed when playing. I need a break. And I feel it’s not because I try doing too much (well, I am), I feel like the game wants me to do too much. Dailies, daily bosses, daily invasion, daily fractals. Oh and I’d like to squeeze a pvp match in there somewhere.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Morrigan.2809

*Trembles

I never knew about the site till I googled it for champ trains. So, how did I get by on my own?

I have always hated the guy who bought the puzzle and set the box up to wear he could see what the puzzle would look like complete — but to eaches own.

The thing is I have stuff I want to do in the game, and I have limited time to play.
If I spent all my time running blindly after Living Story stuff- that face it is not that well conveyed by the game- every 2 weeks.
I will never get to do stuff that I want to do
So if a Living Story interests me I will check it out and I will use Dulfy for the stuff I can’t figure out by myself in a reasonable time frame.

Then I go back to doing what I was doing.
Completing my own goals extends my enjoyment of the game.

I have never been on a champ train in my life but the first time I looked up Dulfy was when I was searching for a cool staff skin.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Pack Hunter.6103

Pack Hunter.6103

I disagree with all your points. I didn’t even know Dulfy existed until this thread, I’ve only looked up some Vista’s on youtube when I’m really tired or feel like getting to the next are quicker.
I’ve never had an issue with disconnects, that may be related to your pc/internet connection.
No one is forcing you to care about achievements you know. If they annoy you why do you care if you’ve killed 327/500 ogres?

As to “forcing you to play”…You choose to care about the rewards they are “time gating”, so you are forcing yourself to play. No one from Anet has a gun to your head telling you to participate. I hardly ever participate in that type of content, to the point where I’m not sure what you are actually referencing but I understand what time gating is.

On question though…what insta kills are you talkiing about? I haven’t run into any and I want to make sure I know what I’m talking about before I try to discuss that particular point.

tl;dr: Not having fun anymore? Stop playing. I’m glad you had an intelligent well thought out post though. Most people just whine. Maybe Anet will see this, maybe not. You tried.

cesmode.4257

I’ve felt for a long time this game has changed in a direction that I personally don’t like. I knew very well it would be different from GuildWars 1, but here this is the feel I get:

Content? You got it. Everything.
Want anything else, and I mean, anything at all – Skins, pets, any conveinance item, upgrades, anything that costs – Either pay up or grind like this MMO was korean. And I don’t like it. GW2 was for me supposed to be the laid back cozy kind of MMO where you can come and go as you please. All the temporary crap (although nice content), time gating makes me feel stressed when playing. I need a break. And I feel it’s not because I try doing too much (well, I am), I feel like the game wants me to do too much. Dailies, daily bosses, daily invasion, daily fractals. Oh and I’d like to squeeze a pvp match in there somewhere.

But you dont have to do any of that. No one is forcing you. <— line everyone loves to use.

I think its a BS response. No one forced me to do dailies in WoW, faction grind in WoW, run dungeons or raid in WoW. I did it because it was there. It was in front of me and accessible. Not to mention, I was encouraged by the shinies, just like in GW2.

In Neverwinter, no one is forcing me to run the campaign system(which is awsome btw). No one forces me to run foundry missions. I do because they are there, infront of me, accessible.

So where someone tells me “no one forces you to do any of that if you don’t want to”…most of us can respond “Yeah but they are there so I must.” No one forces a fat kid to eat cake, but he does. Im not fat, but no one forces me to eat that bag of sour patch kids. But I do even though they are bad for my teeth Getting the point? Anyone?

Dangle a dollar bill on the branch of a tree and someone will swipe it. No one forced that person to do so, but human nature compels them to. Same principle applied here.

No one forces you to do anything in any MMO. You do it because its there, you might have some small inkling to see it even if you know youll hate it, and its something to do in the game.

Posted by: Wraith.7529

Wraith.7529

+1 well said you just summed up GW2 in one post lol. Allot of good points I find myself playing less and less everyday. I stopped doing the living story its a job not fun anymore and same for dailies for me if I complete it great if I don’t I don’t care anymore its not fun its a chore. This game has little to no depth story wise it needs real new content not time gated farming dailies bahhhhhhhh..

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Agree 100% with OP.

Its is also a bit unnerving how the following statement struck me….

cesmode.4257

@vol: Insta kill mechanics are lazy designs.

Instead of insta kill, they could have dropped a condition on you that ticks away a % of your HP..after 5-10 seconds, youre dead. You must use a condition remover.

Instead, we get a berserker style burst DPS mechanic. Its lazy whether you can avoid it or not. Plain and simple.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Very good points.

+1

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Beldin.5498

@vol: Insta kill mechanics are lazy designs.

Instead of insta kill, they could have dropped a condition on you that ticks away a % of your HP..after 5-10 seconds, youre dead. You must use a condition remover.

Instead, we get a berserker style burst DPS mechanic. Its lazy whether you can avoid it or not. Plain and simple.

And it gets even more stupid if you can’t see what hits you because of lag, massive effects from all the players, bad graphics because of a slow computer, or whatever.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Top notch! You’ve compiled a great list. ANet really need to take a thorough look at the game, because it seems like any time they add new things, the game takes two steps forward, one step back, and one step to the side. The game is making progress, but over time it’s made content frustrating as hell.

Overflows:
What I dislike about overflows is this bad feeling that it’s fracturing players. It makes me feel like I’m being cast aside to play “alone” because that’s how overflows feel most of the time. And being on the European server, the overflow becomes a mishmash of different languages, which only further alienates a person.

Insta-kills:
I’ve said this myself, a lot, but ANet’s go to place for “challenges” is loads of health and damage. It’s seems they’re placing some thought into this, but this comes right back to the way the game is built. To make challenging combat means enemies place you in the position of paying attention. Button mashing the same keys over and over without thought or care doesn’t make for intelligent combat. Please ANet, look at the games skills, thoroughly. Replan them, give them thought, and build them “intelligently” around enemies, and how you need to use them. Even make it so that some skills respond better to some enemy types.

All I know is, right now, playing through a zone is frustrating, because combat is boring.

Dulfy:
The terrible thing is, since ANet decided to go the opposite way of hand holding through quests, they decided to throw players in the thick of it and say “figure it out”. And the best help you can get are heralds, who basically say “I reckon there’s something going on in that direction. See what you can find out”.

They want to go the way of making the world feel alive, but instead you feel like you don’t know what is actually going on or what the point is. The best indicator they decided to use are cramming in butt loads of achievements, but that’s another problem entirely.

The point is, we need stuff like Dulfy, to show us what’s going on, or what the point is.

Stop trying to force me to play:
Yes! The whole process needs to be reevaluated by ANet. They have the right idea, but man does it feel player unfriendly. The main problem is that there isn’t really flow. It feels clunky and playing often feels like a burden.

New content should be inviting and have great flow and feel to it. Not feel like a checklist that needs to be ticked, or else you’re playing wrong.

Achievements, Achievements, Achievements, Achievements:
The darkness itself. Yes, what I once saw kitten promising is actually pushing me away from the game. The game feels less and less “play your way to be rewarded”, and more “here’s the shopping list dear, make sure you get everything or there wont be any pudding for you”.

Dailies for one… Ugh, I actively try to avoid them. Why, well… because it is a glorified shopping list. If the game really promoted “play your way”, then why not have a huge set of parameters, and as you clear them, the game rewards you. To simplify it in current GW2 terms, why not have 50 or whatever daily activities, and as you complete parts of them, you get rewarded, even in increments. The point is, let the game reward you as you play and the more you play, not tell you where best to play. It’s already hard to make gold, so why limit the process to how you want players to behave?

The overall achievement point rewards are great, you see, because every part of the game has achievements. But living story achievements… Ugh… there has to be a better way to involve players and reward them without resorting to ye faithful shopping list.

Time Gating:
Yes, come now ANet. I know you guys want players not to overdo it, but… come on, do we really need a system that spells out “only one cookie a day for you, or else tummy tum will go achy ache”.

Alright, that seems condescending, but that’s exactly how the time gating makes one feel. Again, there has to be a better way to allow players to work towards what they want without having them feel penalized, or like the mechanics are in place to keep them muzzled.

Surely you must see how bad such a system is, and as designers you need a better way to keep the game flow and players working towards goals without, basically, point at them as you scream “NO!”.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

/sarcasm off

Just like every other ‘questioning’ post in these forums – check for responses, they really don’t give a rat’s.
Seems like the company plan is to either ignore the problem until it goes away…or you do.

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

Agree 100% with everything.

The insta kills has been the one thing that drives me absolutely crazy. The other day doing dwayna all you see is a ball of light then poof your dead, check the log to see what killed you, apparently nothing has done dmg.

I have no problem dying over and over because im doing something wrong or i suck. But when its because you cant see anything, its not fun its just annoying.

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

1.) Tough luck.

Nothing you’ve said is of any value, so I can’t even really respond to you. Sorry.