IGN Tweet & Core Game = F2P - what does this mean? [unconfirmed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Lock free players out of typing into /Map and /Say chat.

Otherwise you can kiss the “nicest community in gaming” goodbye and say hello to the dredges of the not-old-enough-to-have-a-job internet.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

Posted by: Dasefex.4810

Dasefex.4810

We will find out more Saturday y’all need to calm down now ya hear.

Fishy Joes 80 necro wvw
Digital Sacrifice Guild

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Hopefully they fix dungeons before that. One can only spam F for so long.

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

it’s not a matter of vets. If the current system stays this way, what can prevent me (or anyone) from making 500 accounts and sell laurels?

Any free core game account has to be limited somehow. Like no interactions with the economy, lol.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And now he gets to have the same experience I had without paying a cent. It would be nice if Anet did something to thank their players who have been playing since beta instead of trying to drive us away.

So you’re now trying to say that its unfair because he will get three years worth of enjoyment from the game? Because by that time you will now have six years worth of enjoyment. Unless of course your argument is that he will experience three years worth of enjoyment in a day, in which case nevermind, I didn’t realize I was debating with someone so… special.

Judging from the way Anet is taking this game and trying to get rid of veterans, I doubt anybody will be here for another 3 years

Could you explain how going F2P will drive vets from the game? Somebody? Anybody?

Bueller?

It’s not just F2P that is the issue with vets. There is also bugs that haven’t been fixed in years, dungeons never even touched, and Anet not even knowing their own playerbase and its wants to add to the list

Doesn’t matter. Expand the playerbase by lowering the barrier to entry and hope that this influx will include players who are willing to buy HoT or spend cash on gems. They’ve already said that fractals are the new dungeons and if parts of their playerbase including those going all the way back to GW detest the current game so much that it might just be better to see them go than try to retain them since those players aren’t willing to accept the direction ANet wants to go in.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Kidel.2057

There are more important things, like LAURELS.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

So, what exactly are raids? Aren’t they just dungeons with a larger group of players? I’m not sure how this is significant. I remember playing some stuff with my guild or clan or w/e in Aion where we stormed this fortress being guarded by Balaur but it just seemed like a dungeon. Is it just a dungeon with large groups of players?

What makes a raid different than the content we already have in GW2?

Isn’t fractals a raid?

Posted by: Elitejelly.7462

Elitejelly.7462

rip in pepperoni economy.

Not to thrilled about the f2p, although this might help the spvp side of things as far as growth. I already don’t pug dungeons because of people not knowing their stuff, but with free accounts there will probably be more trolls around. Make a free account and troll because there will be no consequence to their actions. With the way thing are now, you lose out on money when you get banned.

IM SO HYPED FOR HOT I CAN FLIP A TABLE.
(/o_o)/ |_|
hype over.

Posted by: remnant.2485

remnant.2485

So long as vertical progression is not tied to raids. I work crazy hours. I’m not going to ever be part of a regular raid group, and often don’t have stretches that would allow for me to raid.

I won’t play a game where I can’t fight my way to top gear level without being involved in a raid community. It isn’t fun feeling like a second-tier customer.

If there is no mechanical gear advantage from raiding? Knock yourselves out, have a blast. Have fun. More power to you, I couldn’t care less that I can’t raid, if my gear is EVERY bit as good.

Behellagh.1468

Couldn’t post it the thread on the subject could you, had to make your own.

RIP City of Heroes

Kidel.2057

rip in pepperoni economy.

Not to thrilled about the f2p, although this might help the spvp side of things as far as growth. I already don’t pug dungeons because of people not knowing their stuff, but with free accounts there will probably be more trolls around. Make a free account and troll because there will be no consequence to their actions. With the way thing are now, you lose out on money when you get banned.

trolls are not a problem, you can just block them. problem are botters, but also regular players farming laurels.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

How is a raid not a dungeon? I’ve never understood the difference.

Can’t fractals be called a raid?

Behellagh.1468

Hmmm, a title change.

RIP City of Heroes

Kidel.2057

more people

Behellagh.1468

Can’t fractals be called a raid?

Because you can’t speed run raids. Plus the complexity of raids imply better rewards.

Yeah, good luck with that.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

All you people that are screaming terror on the F2P core game need to do a little research. But wait this is the internet why would you try to google before whining.

From the data mined “Trial Account”
http://thatshaman.blogspot.com/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html

List from /u/Vahkris on reddit:
Only one or two character slots
Limit of level 15
Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)
Only able to send mail to friends.
Can’t send items or gold through mail
Can’t speak in map chat
Can’t access Team Arenas
Can’t access main WvW maps (EB and Borderlands)

This.

Even if those limitations have been adjusted this is not a bad thing. Letting future customers check out a three year old game for a limited time is just good marketing, especially timed well with their first expansion that includes the core GW2 game for free.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Please lock these free players from the forums. We don’t need a million trolls here, it gets toxic enough at times as is. They also need to be locked from laurels and the tp.

At least they said we’ll get raids. I mean, that’s not a surprise at all but I look forward to hearing about the details on Saturday.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

I really hope anet doesnt give i into all these people who will just ditch them for the next shiny thing

i blame WoW and LoL

i miss how people were in UO and EQ, people who whined about not getting what they want and easy mode, got made fun of and shafted for the greater good.

#dontgiveinanet

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

If its true expecting HoT price to go down to 20$. Rage inc. Guess sales are not going in the right direction.

As stated before, 20$ could sold your game just fine. Now you are just confused and don’t know what to do.

Behellagh.1468

Price of the expansion isn’t going to change. Some people.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

pHIS IS a good thing.

In your opinion. Many will hate this. They played GW2 to get away from raiding and all the associated BS.

Well, the main turnoff for me from standard raiding was the gear treadmill, and we know 100% that they’re not putting one of those in.

Yes, that is what they’ve stated. I really hope so. A large portion of this games player base is casual, and enjoy the game that way. Personally, I’m not against it. But I’ve seen how raiding can become in other games – it can be very unpleasant and toxic. Don’t want to see that here.

I also don’t want to see important or interesting story / lore locked away. Loot rewards sure, but not important plot stuff.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

xarallei.4279

I don’t know why people make such a big deal about the $50 price tag. Seriously, that’s how it is during the pre-purchase period. There will be plenty of sales later.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Please lock these free players from the forums. We don’t need a million trolls here, it gets toxic enough at times as is. They also need to be locked from laurels and the tp.

Yeah. They should be able to have zero impact on the economy.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

I don’t understand why so many people are surprised, ANET have come out and said it themselves, they’ve shown they want NEW players. I’m guessing the cash shop is making them more money in the long run than box sales. The fact end game is dressing up, putting skins in the store is a great money maker.

I’d figure the current market of active players is saturated, maybe numbers aren’t buying like they used to, why push to a crowd who’ve purchased everything already when you could get NEW players in to buy new stuff AND all the old stuff?! It’s perfect business sense, bad for those who’ve played the game? Possibly, but this is business.

Behellagh.1468

I don’t understand why so many people are surprised, ANET have come out and said it themselves, they’ve shown they want NEW players. I’m guessing the cash shop is making them more money in the long run than box sales. The fact end game is dressing up, putting skins in the store is a great money maker.

I’d figure the current market of active players is saturated, maybe numbers aren’t buying like they used to, why push to a crowd who’ve purchased everything already when you could get NEW players in to buy new stuff AND all the old stuff?! It’s perfect business sense, bad for those who’ve played the game? Possibly, but this is business.

Yes and no. The reason is to make HoT attractive to new people. Have the core content for free lets those players to play more than enough to decide if they would like to buy HoT. Because as nice as ANet bundling the core game in for free, new people are still unwilling to pull the trigger on a fifty dollar purchase without know what the game is really like, not just the first 15 levels of a trial.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Strach.1572

Strach.1572

Seems i will have to start now making parties that will be having min 7k AP that way i can be sure no free to play troll comes.

Ragnarox.9601

Yes and no. The reason is to make HoT attractive to new people. Have the core content for free lets those players to play more than enough to decide if they would like to buy HoT. Because as nice as ANet bundling the core game in for free, new people are still unwilling to pull the trigger on a fifty dollar purchase without know what the game is really like, not just the first 15 levels of a trial.

Well NPE is bad for that accounts… Leveling is not fun these days.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Free trail with restrictions is understandable . . .the core game entirely free is some balogna

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don´t know how to feel about the core game going f2p. I´m abit worried about, since i have yet to make a good experience with a f2p game/playerbase. The b2p concept of Guild Wars 2 was perfect for me. But we will see. I trust Anet not to ruin their community, since it is something they are specially proud of.

ANet is proud about many things. Doesn’t seem to have much impact on the result one way or another though. I mean are they extremely ashamed of dungeons? How about events? WvW? Maybe PvP?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Well NPE is bad for that accounts… Leveling is not fun these days.

That’s your opinion based on someone that has experienced the other systems and played the game. This may or may not be the same case for new players.

Kidel.2057

All you people that are screaming terror on the F2P core game need to do a little research. But wait this is the internet why would you try to google before whining.

Limit of level 15
Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)
Can’t speak in map chat
Can’t access Team Arenas

This.

Even if those limitations have been adjusted this is not a bad thing. Letting future customers check out a three year old game for a limited time is just good marketing, especially timed well with their first expansion that includes the core GW2 game for free.

That data-mine is referring to this: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-guild-wars-2-for-free-today/

Trial account is different from “free core game”, as IGN said.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’m not worried about the raiding. I only usually hate it because it’s often required to keep up with a gear threadmill. But since gw2 doesn’t have that I don’t mind. It’s just a big dungeon nothing more.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Please, dear God. Do not let this be true. After I got ‘done’ with GW1 after 7 years, I hopped from F2P to F2P games. The communities there are the absolute worst from PvE to PvP. I really hope this isn’t what they plan to announce.

xarallei.4279

I guess it depends on how this f2p thing is. If it’s like the datamined info and it’s basically just a free trial, well that’s not really a big deal. People have been asking for free trials for friends and family anyway. Just limit how high they can level, limit their whispers to people who have friended them, don’t give them access to laurels or the tp.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

So GW2 finally goes F2P. I’m a little surprised. I prefer B2P model because it keeps the hackers and botters from making new accounts. As long as they can counter this, i don’t mind the F2P model, and i hope they don’t start selling P2W items.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Yawn*

Limit of level 15
Can’t speak in map chat
Can’t access Team Arenas

Follow your own advice, that “research” of yours dug up information from a free trial that happened over a year ago and it has nothing to do with this free to play discussion.

Posted by: Connor Obrian.8420

Connor Obrian.8420

ArenaNet, if you make the core game completely f2p, then you will leave your path. This contradicts your original philosophy totally. F2P is nearly always a bad idea and often not even profitable. F2P harms games, harms their design, harms communities.

Further you would have tricked the buyers of HoT. Yeah you could treat that core game as an addition and that this doesn’t mean that the core game is limited to the bought copies. Nonetheless, that’s cheap. I bet that many new players bought HoT, because they get the base game and the addon. Many of them probably never had bought HoT, if they had known that the base game is going to be F2P.

Hopefully this clears up and you will tell us that the f2p accounts have heavy restrictions.

On the other side, I’m not worried at all about the raids. Whatever they might be, they will not include a gear treadmill. They could be quite awesome who knows.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Rumors say that GW2 will be free to play with restrictions soon.
Thoughts?

Ragnarox.9601

When ppl mention f2p it means couple of things: (ign mentioned core game for free)
- game is dying
- massive p2w incoming
- massive spam/gold sellers inc.
- game shop selling increased by restricting things you can earn in game
- …forgot about other things

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Rumors say that GW2 will be free to play with restrictions soon.
Thoughts?

Post in this thread instead of starting another. Thanks.

Kidel.2057

Source for restrictions?

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I invested 200 euro into this to get 2 ultimates for me and my GF…and now this… we probably don’t even want to play anymore
When I imagine those masses of spam bots and all the things associated with F2P I feel so sorry I didn’t rather use that money on something else.

Kidel.2057

When ppl mention f2p it means couple of things: (ign mentioned core game for free)
- game is dying
- massive p2w incoming
- massive spam/gold sellers inc.
- game shop selling increased by restricting things you can earn in game
- …forgot about other things

Not really the case. Gw2 was like 5$ some months ago, so not a big change.

The problem with ftp and gw2 is game economy and laurels. A free account needs to be like 2014 trial account

Behellagh.1468

Yes you’ve said that enough times. There is nothing in the video, which is all we currently have, that says the core game isn’t limited in some way other than content. I would imagine chat limits and no log in rewards to prevent mystic coin and fine materials melt down.

There’s likely a data dump on Saturday after the announcement. Lets hold off of the Chicken little reaction until we know what F2P includes and not includes.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Didn’t someone mention it said “Limitless adventure”? Would be weird to have an asterisk next to it… unless it’s a small bait and switch.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Yes you’ve said that enough times. There is nothing in the video, which is all we currently have, that says the core game isn’t limited in some way other than content. I would imagine chat limits and no log in rewards to prevent mystic coin and fine materials melt down.

There’s likely a data dump on Saturday after the announcement. Lets hold off of the Chicken little reaction until we know what F2P includes and not includes.

Butttttttttttttt….just in case! Start saving crap!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Didn’t someone mention it said “Limitless adventure”? Would be weird to have an asterisk next to it… unless it’s a small bait and switch.

The game doesn’t have limitless adventure right now. Lol. That’s just advertising talk. Shorthand for doing the same events over and over again.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

The game doesn’t have limitless adventure right now. Lol. That’s just advertising talk. Shorthand for doing the same events over and over again.

No game has….

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Behellagh.1468

How does chat restrictions or not getting log in rewards affect access to the world or any map content?

Let’s freak out after the announcement Saturday.

RIP City of Heroes