If you won't give us mounts...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

For every person on the forum who asks for a speed boost, there is someone else asking for waypoints to be removed so we have to walk through the open world for more immersion. In both cases there are far better things for Anet to spend their time on.

Posted by: RavenRecoil.6103

RavenRecoil.6103

I love Guild Wars mapping anywhere anytime game mechanic. I am a casual player and don’t have the travel time a game like WoW required of me. Maybe it’s gotten better, I played when it was first out. With that sad I am not opposed to mounts to travel on while within my current zone. Just because they add mounts does not mean they need to take away map travel. I would much rather have map travel over a mount. But why not both? GW2 is all about the cool factor. For example weapon skins. I think it would be cool to have a mount even if I did need to buy it on the gem store.

I am a hardcore casual player at best!!
Always up wind from my prey. I want them to smell my farts!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think it would be cool to have a mount even if I did need to buy it on the gem store.

There already is one, the riding broom. If they add conventional mounts to the gem store the pay to win complainers and gem store is evil crowd will come screaming.

I don’t want mounts because of the excess screen clutter. I don’t care about speed boosts or what not, I just don’t want my screen cluttered with players on mounts everywhere. I have yet to see an MMO with mounts where I didn’t think they looked silly. That is why I don’t want them.

The Burninator

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I don’t think people will use mounts for the speed boosts or to cut waypoint travel. My guess is that the majority of mounts will barely ever leave Vigil Keep. Their owners will preen while they chat to their friends on their big pink and purple winged creatures or take off and land in a flurry of feathers, shooting sparks or rainbow glitter. Grumpy, unimpressed players like me will sigh and go elsewhere to do their banking.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

I don’t think people will use mounts for the speed boosts or to cut waypoint travel. My guess is that the majority of mounts will barely ever leave Vigil Keep. Their owners will preen while they chat to their friends on their big pink and purple winged creatures or take off and land in a flurry of feathers, shooting sparks or rainbow glitter. Grumpy, unimpressed players like me will sigh and go elsewhere to do their banking.

Autodismount mechanism would solve the problem. It would apply to cities and major hubs.

Also, flying mounts aren’t considered, by both pro and anti mount sides, in various threads, as neither side wants them.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Also, flying mounts aren’t considered, by both pro and anti mount sides, in various threads, as neither side wants them.

That is untrue. If you look at all the past Mounts threads, you will see that lot of pro-mount players do want flying mounts, they just consider it a next step in demands escalation.
Just as “every pro-mount player” is satisfied with only cosmetic mounts when thread is starting, but by the 10th page the same people speak as if +33% speed was the absolute minimum, and any value below +100% was a significant concession. With possible additional options on top of it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think it would be cool to have a mount even if I did need to buy it on the gem store.

There already is one, the riding broom. If they add conventional mounts to the gem store the pay to win complainers and gem store is evil crowd will come screaming.

I don’t want mounts because of the excess screen clutter. I don’t care about speed boosts or what not, I just don’t want my screen cluttered with players on mounts everywhere. I have yet to see an MMO with mounts where I didn’t think they looked silly. That is why I don’t want them.

You can’t fight on the broom. It is slow also….. It is a vanity item for Halloween.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

You need to give us out-of-combat travel skills, for some very simple reasons.

1) Everyone equips a travel skill when leveling up, just to move faster while clearing areas. I am doing with my ranger now, I did with my elementalist, and so on. I wasted a skill slot on something passive, or even equipped a weapon I didn’t want just to move around faster. Essentially, you made the game less fun for me for making me have one less combat skill to use while leveling up because I wanted to get to point A to B faster, and switching skills all the time is annoying.

2) To balance/normalize travel speed between classes. It´s unfair a warrior can easily stack 1 minute of speed boost while other classes can’t.

3) Speed boost is a boost for combat. Outside of combat it is irrelevant, giving us an out-of-combat travel skill doesn’t conflict with anything.

If you don’t want to add actually cosmetic mounts, there is something already in the game you can use as the basis for travel speed skills: the Zephyr Sanctum people. They developed many skills solely about movement, and we could acquire a travel skill form them – to be used by a button or a specific slot – to move around the maps with haste without relying (or ruining) on our combat skills.

1) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint

2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Speed_Booster

3) look back at 1&2.

Thank me later.

1. Waypoint prices add up quickly, and are worthless when exploring new areas.
2. Real world money for a painfully small, temporary boost? No thanks.

I personally expect constant and continual gratification from a game I play for fun. If you want to be bored go to class or get a job.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

The endless indignant replies to these kinds of threads touting that we have waypoints and speed boosts—everyone gets it already. The (many) OPs get it already also.
The overwhelmingly clear theme is that those waypoints and speed boosts are unsatisfactory.

Mounts—regardless of desirability—will not be in the game any time soon, and, waypointing—regardless of convenience—does not appease many concerned with the travel-grind that is particularly noticeable on slower-moving classes.
Therefore, I suggest;

The gem store speed boost be increased to a non-stacking 33% ~ 40%.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

2) To balance/normalize travel speed between classes. It´s unfair a warrior can easily stack 1 minute of speed boost while other classes can’t.

Yes, its totally unfair that the classes aren’t all alike and can’t do everything equally. It’s just horrible. Horrible.

Realistically warriors and guardians should run the slowest since they are wearing heavy armor. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the fastest.

Realistically, Warriors and Guardians should run the fastest because they’re honed for athleticism and endurance and heavy armor actually isn’t very encumbering. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the slowest because they don’t have the conditioning and athleticism – Unless his name is Rincewind.

… actually, Rangers should move fastest, thanks to lighter armor, better trailblazing, and equal emphasis on endurance and athleticism to warriors.

I Guess you don’t realize that in medieval days Knights needed help to get INTO their armor…. and then needed something like a crane, to Mount their horses…. and you say they are not encumbered?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

^ That’s actually a myth. Knights were fully capable of running, jumping and fighting on foot in full plate armor. Yes, they did need help to strap on their armor (the same way that ladies in modern dresses sometimes need help from a second party to zip up the back. There’s just some spots you can’t reach by yourself), but the idea that knights needed to be winched into their horses by a crane is untrue. If knights were that heavy, most horses would be too exhausted to carry their riders after 30 mins, tops, as well as putting them at serious risk of permanent injury whenever they went faster than a walk. Who would want to waste a horse every time they went into battle?

@OP: From a certain point of view, we ARE speed-boosted when out of combat. What if our in-combat speed is our DEFAULT speed?

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You can’t fight on the broom. It is slow also….. It is a vanity item for Halloween.

Well, yes. Do we get to the page where pro-mount people admit that mounts as purely vanity items are not satisfactory already? That was really fast.
(and the broom is not slow. It is normal speed)

I Guess you don’t realize that in medieval days Knights needed help to get INTO their armor…. and then needed something like a crane, to Mount their horses…. and you say they are not encumbered?

You are speaking about jousting tournament armor i guess. Yes, it was a thing. It was also completely nonfunctional beyond said tournaments. Actual combat armor was different (you couldn’t expect a knight to wait for a crane if dismounted in the middle of the fight after all).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Skan.5301

Yes, its totally unfair that the classes aren’t all alike and can’t do everything equally. It’s just horrible. Horrible.

Realistically warriors and guardians should run the slowest since they are wearing heavy armor. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the fastest.

Realistically, Warriors and Guardians should run the fastest because they’re honed for athleticism and endurance and heavy armor actually isn’t very encumbering. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the slowest because they don’t have the conditioning and athleticism – Unless his name is Rincewind.

… actually, Rangers should move fastest, thanks to lighter armor, better trailblazing, and equal emphasis on endurance and athleticism to warriors.

Sourced from a museum that specializes in medieval knights.

Armor is extremely heavy and renders its wearer immobile.—Wrong

Knights had to be hoisted into their saddles with cranes.—Wrong.

If armour was that bad, how would knights traverse anything? And the horse surely wouldn’t be able to carry a knight if a crane was needed. It would be exhausted after a fairly short distance.

Quite amusing really.

– Euripides

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

They needed help getting into their armor because of the difficulty in reaching all the carefully-interlocking plates. Lots of elaborate outfits require assistance to get into. However, it doesn’t mean that the final outfit’s encumbering.

And the “Needed a crane to mount their horses” is a complete fabrication by Mark Twain in his satirical work A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court not based on any real historical accuracy (but possibly fueled by the swathes of misinformation spread during the Victorian and Enlightenment-era smear/revisionism of the Renaissance and Middle Ages in their attempts to make those eras seem more primitive, stupid, and barbaric compared to their “Enlightened” times, which is also where we get the “Weapons weighed 20-50 lbs, and Swords aren’t actually sharp” myths that still refuse to die.)

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

New ranger pet: Chocobo. You can ride it and the F2 summons 5 more chocobos (4 for your allies and one for your pet). While you’re riding, this music plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyV0IPjwq0

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

New ranger pet: Chocobo. You can ride it and the F2 summons 5 more chocobos (4 for your allies and one for your pet). While you’re riding, this music plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlyV0IPjwq0

You win all my internets

HHR LostProphet.4801

You win all my internets

I must admit; I’m half joking, half hoping…

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

To the OP. You made the horrible mistake mentioning mounts in your title when the actual message you were trying to convey has nothing to do with that.

As shown, many people don’t bother reading anything but the title when responding, making this a huge off topic mess.

But, I actually agree with your point. It wouldn’t be a problem to allow all professions a +25% movement passive in one way or another. I do agree that slugging a “slow” profession through the game after having played a “fast” one feels like a real drag.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

There are waypoints like litterally one, maybe two minutes apart in every zone.
What the general F are people whining about? The only area that “needs” mounts is the WvW, and that would mess things up quite a bit since the maps are too small for that amount of a speed boost.

People seriously need to rethink the “mount issue”.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

HHR LostProphet.4801

What the general F are people whining about? The only area that “needs” mounts is the WvW, and that would mess things up quite a bit since the maps are too small for that amount of a speed boost.

Waypoints suck. And they cost money. I like money. I don’t want to spend it on traveling. And I want my chocobo.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I want giant riding sloths.

Massive, noble steeds, traversing the landscapes at a leisurely walk, with the gemstore selling the rare ones that have the “walk slower” trait.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

If “mounts” were introduced, then I think there are a few things that could be done to make them work:

1) Max 25% increased movement speed.
2) Can’t be activated outside of combat.
3) 10 second cooldown after entering combat.
4) Not usable in WvW or PvP. (or cities, as that’d get annoying fast)

These are to prevent mounts rendering swiftness and movement skills/traits irrelevant.

Additionally, I wouldn’t make them “mounts”, as in horses or big difficult to animate things. The broomstick is a good example of something easy to implement, as is the digging tool (though that would make jumping an issue).

In order to make money off this, the simplest thing to do would be to make a “base” mount, that grants the buff. Maybe one for each cultural race. Then sell skins for it in the gem store (Asura tech hoverboard, Tixx’ clockwork something-or-other, the Mad King’s…..) . That way there is no question of P2W, and a new avenue for making money.

That all said, I’m not sure if I support the idea of mounts or not. This is just how I’d do it IF mounts were introduced.

Posted by: Nadha.6097

Nadha.6097

:) sloths are soo cool creatures, they have Moths living on them and algae. So GW2 equivalent would be the treants?
I have only seen them to agree to carry heavy crates though.

to topic:
I am very happy, that this game has no mounts. (optically and operationally)

I do not feel we need overall speed-upgrades to move around maps.

Equip combat slot skill for running and reeqip other skill before having a heavy fight. (for just exploring you do not really need the slot to survive)

There are some classes that could do with an additional speed boost option ( y, I am looking at Mesmer also)

Overall you will be changing your stuff (Weapons, Equip, Skills, Traits) around all the time depending on what you do, it is very inherent in this game and you get alot more from your class(es) if you start doing it.

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

1. Waypoint prices add up quickly, and are worthless when exploring new areas.
2. Real world money for a painfully small, temporary boost? No thanks.

Dawwww. I’m sorry afew silver is to much to handle with how much gold we get daily from dungeons/pvp/wvw. :/
Okay. Don’t buy it then no one is making you. Fact is..it is still there for people to buy.

1. If you’re exploring and traveling the world, you’re not running dungeons/PvP/WvW. My daily income, not counting any expenses, is about 1 or 2 Gold every day, by selling junk for handfuls of copper (Sometimes a silver piece or two for rarer items) on the BLT.
2. It’s real money for a temporary boost that doesn’t even come close to Warrior’s Spirit or Swiftness. It’s all but worthless.

Running 1-2 dungeon paths daily (cof1, coe1) will net you enough gold to get around everyday. It will only cost you 20mins or less if you have a good party.

Saying that you don’t have money and not doing anything about it is…. well, you get it.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

You win all my internets

I demand a refund of half my internets

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

FYI. the game was made without mounts in mind, and it’s sooooooooooooooooooo much better for it. Mounts ruin MMO’s.

mounts add immersion, it’s the MMO’s that are simply not made to be immerse enough to be worth having a mount.
GW2 is completely immersion free so even if we had mounts, the only thing it does is add immersion in a game that is dead empty.

It is not – and I find mounts DETRACT from immersion. In Rift, I found it annoying when I was doing a quest that players ran right by me to drag mobs to me so that I would die and they could get to the boss I was trying to fight. THAT is detraction!!!

Also, the game is not dead empty – where have you been playing on the Mars servers? Your last statement totally invalidates your argument about mounts. If the game is so dead empty, why are there other threads that say this game has TOO many players at events? It can’t be both….

tell me, what is immersive in this game, just tell me one single thing about this whole game that even has 1% of immersion.

I can list several:
1. NPCs will address the player, and ask them for help when something urgent is happening. NPCs talk with each other, and frequently acknowledge when the player passes by. Merchants hawk wares.

however, the horrible voice acting distracts from that, ruining the immersion.

2. Everyone is on the same page in an as everyone else, and the world revolves around interaction and events. When centaurs are attacking, centaurs are attacking. When you drive them back, you drive them back and take over the area. There are a few renown hearts that break from this, but events generally don’t

and are so generic that it’s more the boredom that makes you see immersion rather then the immersion that might be present.

3. Shifts in the status quo are announced by cyclic events. Unfortunately, respawning kinda breaks with this on the smaller scale.

kinda my point, but ok.

4. You can talk with and engage in conversation with a lot of people.

and you only get text that makes eyes glare of boredom, reading text breaks immersion, that’s why bioware games like mass effect and star wars TOR is so immersive.

5. Personal story works well as a single-player campaign, up until you find yourself guarding a gutted ruin as though it’s a thriving metropolis and hope for the world.

i feel more like i am riding a roller coaster, a bland non interesting roller coaster.

… there are more, but I’m bad at phrasing them. As it is, the dynamic events make GW2 the most rewarding and immersive MMO I’ve ever played in.

pff, keep trying, i’m sure blizzard is really enjoying what you find “immersive”.

But having mounts will of course fix all these problems you have with the game right ?

Horrible voice acting ? No problem .. mounts make it sooo much better .. yeah ..

And Blizzard ? Common .. horrible graphics distract from all immersion .. keep trying.

yay, yet another player that doesn’t even think before posting….it’s really full of blind ppl here isn’t it….. -_-

So, if you don’t have any arguments anymore you just start with insults ?
That makes your “arguments” of course even better

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Freeelancer.2860

Freeelancer.2860

Guys, guys! What we need is to remove speed cap and introduce jetpacks, Molten Facility style. Then we can have WH40k type of battles in air with Charzookas and flying Asuran golems!

Or even better, skillshots while jumping around at 200+ kph like in Tribes.
EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7obVU9nXqs

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

If Anet is going to waste their time on mounts I rather they add a pet feature so you don’t need them in your inventory to summon them before adding mounts.

I rather show off my online ego to strangers with a pet and not another game that has flaming nightmare horses as mounts.

(edited by Clear.8512)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I have to say guy. No one is making you use a skill or trait to move faster. It’s your choice. And it don’t take that long to walk around a map. There where no mounts in guild wars 1. And we managed just fine.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dusty Moon.4382

Mounts and extra speed boosts will not be added as it would be considered by many to be P2W feature and that is a slippery slope.

People want to kitten the game to make it easier, I want it harder.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Mounts and extra speed boosts will not be added as it would be considered by many to be P2W feature and that is a slippery slope.

People want to kitten the game to make it easier, I want it harder.

^This. I don’t want the game to be easier either. I want challenge.

Another thing, who decides what is fast enough? One player says movement is too slow. If they speed it up there will be those that say it is too fast and too easy.

The bottom line is all this griping about mounts and faster movement is ridiculous. The toons move fast enough when just traveling as it is. If they really want to light speed things up, use waypoints. The point is to explore and discover. There are speed boosts available through runes and skills. If anyone thinks they need more than what is out there for speed through normal play (not stuff you can buy), then you really aren’t playing the game provided to you.

Heck, let’s just have a “god mode” so you don’t have to do anything you don’t want or don’t like or run as fast as you want or not adapt at all. (Insert heavy sarcasm)

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

Maybe they should give us a bar which lets us sprint for a set amount of time

WildStar has this, and – you guessed it – people complain. Why? “I don’t want to have to hold down the Sprint key to go faster ;______;111!11! My finger hurts!11!11!!” To be fair, people feel like they have to sprint because WS’s mounts are SLOW (I hope Carbine has patched this). But mounts have sprint, too, so the issue isn’t really resolved.

GW2 is doing it the right way in terms of passive speed buffs + instant teleportation.

Edit: Yes, part of me wants to ride a dolyak or a (giant) quaggan. But y’know what? Not enough for me to complain that I CAN’T ride a dolyak or a (giant) quaggan. I understand the issues mounts would introduce unless ANet went ahead and revamped their entire movement system, which is far less important than some other things that are in need of a revamp (or, at least, major changes).

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

(edited by Corax.7381)

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Let’s try this again…
I am trying to see what the point of mounts would be aside from aesthetics.

The Waypoint travel system is unsatisfactory
Then rent a mount for 10 silver to travel the same distance.
The cost of waypoint travel isn’t an issue. It’s the way the system is designed. If you are not making enough gold playing the game to support WP travel, then what are you doing that is causing it to be such a burden?
ANet will likely make a gem store item that reduces the cost for a period of time before adding mounts in this game.
Immersion
Not really. Immersion would be stable/parking/valet services that where you could pick up and leave your ride. I only know of a few places in game that house Moas like that. What breaks immersion is riding around in places where one clearly shouldn’t be riding. The horses in ESO are everywhere and looking very strange not using roads, running up stairs and vanishing disturbingly at doors.
Mounts are for everyone
There are currently 5 races that are very diverse in look and with pretty interesting animations on how each race and gender have their own style. The broom isn’t really much to animate around, as it has no moving components, but other rideable apparatuses or critters will require attention, for how it interacts with every race and all armors.
Devs have enough clipping issues to deal with without a load of unnecessary window dressing.
Mounts ARE lore friendly -site several examples as to what makes they lore friendly-
I will concede that lore indicates that mounts have been used throughout Tyria’s history. But currently, only Asurans use golems as such, to a degree. They also have the technology for the Waypoint and Gate network. Charr have their war machines in the Iron Legion and can travel quickly on all fours if need be. It doesn’t launch a strong case for the addition of mounts, it just seems to make it more awkward.
Because the zones are so big
With the exception of Lornar’s Pass, most are small. With multiple exits, and usually no more than a zone away from a major city or hub, the world we are in is pretty cramped.
The “2Cool4U” Factor
While I can understand a lot of cases for the addition of mounts, this is the one that I think everyone against the concept bristles at. If these are the sort of case one chooses make, let’s up the ante:
Mounts exclusive to Rangers only. Can choose to ride or fight at your side when initially charmed.
Guild Exclusive mounts: Via guild upgrade. Guild leader chooses mount and guild members of required rank have access to it.
Craftable mounts: Set up a stable or shop to craft transport or breed animals for mounts. Purchase upgrades to your shop for more room, and supplies.
Mounts as killable NPCs Mounts that end up in defeated state can be looted for items, but disappear like normal corpses after a period of time.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

HHR LostProphet.4801

Lots of text.

I just want my chocobo. <3
Besides, I would’ve no problem with just 4 or less waypoints per map if I get to ride my chocobo then.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Let’s try this again…

The cost of waypoint travel isn’t an issue. It’s the way the system is designed. If you are not making enough gold playing the game to support WP travel, then what are you doing that is causing it to be such a burden?
ANet will likely make a gem store item that reduces the cost for a period of time before adding mounts in this game.

Just wanted to comment on this, as the other points I believe have already been discussed to death multiple times. I agree WP costs are not an issue, and if players don’t have enough money to use the WP then yes, something is clearly wrong with what they are doing. There is no reason that you would go broke just using WP. Even for a brand new account. There is already an in game service that allows for reduced WP costs. The guilds can build and activate it, and it reduces WP costs by 15% for 24 hours. Most guilds probably already have this, and activated at some point or another. But the WP costs are minimal anyway so even if the guild has it activated, no one really notices because they are not checking the cost when they WP. At least I don’t.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I personally expect constant and continual gratification from a game I play for fun. If you want to be bored go to class or get a job.

Is that sarcasm? I honestly can’t tell…

If it isn’t, then you are a perfect example of what is wrong with our society. You can’t expect constant and continual gratification from a game indefinitely. That is simply impossible to satisfy. One person can play 200 hours, another 3000 hours, there would be no way to satisfy both play styles in a way that gratifies them constantly and continually. Your expectations are simply too high, man.

If your comment was indeed sarcasm, then good work you fooled me pretty good.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Dusty Moon.4382

Let’s try this again…

Why? It makes no sense. If you can’t afford one or two silver for the WP – then your 10 silver for renting a mount is ludicrous. A.Net will more than likely NOT add mounts to the TP because this game really doesn’t support them

Immersion
Not really. Immersion would be stable/parking/valet services that where you could pick up and leave your ride. I only know of a few places in game that house Moas like that. What breaks immersion is riding around in places where one clearly shouldn’t be riding. The horses in ESO are everywhere and looking very strange not using roads, running up stairs and vanishing disturbingly at doors.

+Mounts are the most immersion-breaking part of any game. If you look at ESO it is a big world where very few spots have quests, etc – the rest has nothing in it. You need to have mounts for that – it is a poorly designed game.

This game is not ESO and mounts would look stupid as does the broom actually.+

Mounts are for everyone
There are currently 5 races that are very diverse in look and with pretty interesting animations on how each race and gender have their own style. The broom isn’t really much to animate around, as it has no moving components, but other rideable apparatuses or critters will require attention, for how it interacts with every race and all armors.
Devs have enough clipping issues to deal with without a load of unnecessary window dressing.

I mentioned the clipping issue before – they need to deal with that first

Mounts ARE lore friendly -site several examples as to what makes they lore friendly-
I will concede that lore indicates that mounts have been used throughout Tyria’s history. But currently, only Asurans use golems as such, to a degree. They also have the technology for the Waypoint and Gate network. Charr have their war machines in the Iron Legion and can travel quickly on all fours if need be. It doesn’t launch a strong case for the addition of mounts, it just seems to make it more awkward.

Where is the lore that mounts were used in past of the world? I have not seen that at all. The Golems and WAR MACHINES are just that for war not for riding.

Because the zones are so big
With the exception of Lornar’s Pass, most are small. With multiple exits, and usually no more than a zone away from a major city or hub, the world we are in is pretty cramped.

That and the fact there are so many waypoints, mounts are not needed

The “2Cool4U” Factor
While I can understand a lot of cases for the addition of mounts, this is the one that I think everyone against the concept bristles at. If these are the sort of case one chooses make, let’s up the ante:
Mounts exclusive to Rangers only. Can choose to ride or fight at your side when initially charmed.
Guild Exclusive mounts: Via guild upgrade. Guild leader chooses mount and guild members of required rank have access to it.
Craftable mounts: Set up a stable or shop to craft transport or breed animals for mounts. Purchase upgrades to your shop for more room, and supplies.
Mounts as killable NPCs Mounts that end up in defeated state can be looted for items, but disappear like normal corpses after a period of time.

Mounts do not fit in this game – period. If you want mounts, go to another game

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

@Dusty Moon.4382. I feel your pain. I don’t think he/she is going to get that mounts/more speed skills at least in the foreseeable future are not going to happen, don’t fit the game, and are completely unnecessary.

I just had an argument with my office wall about this subject, and it accepts it better.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

They see me rollin’, they hatin.

Attachments:

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

and yet… necromancer.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

and yet… necromancer.

Hey, we necros have warhorn 5 to give us a boost . . . and then slow us down if we run too close to any animal or mob.

Seriously, though, we do have the 25% signet and spectral walk. Too bad the latter has that long cooldown.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

No mounts please. They really are not needed this in game.

Skan.5301

Go back and read the first post on this thread, come back to your post, hit edit, and change your post.

I’ll play your game though. Why aren’t mounts needed? Do explain.

– Euripides

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

We already have a mount in this game. So any excuse they give us is automatically invalidated by this.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Riding_Broom

Dusty Moon.4382

@Dusty Moon.4382. I feel your pain. I don’t think he/she is going to get that mounts/more speed skills at least in the foreseeable future are not going to happen, don’t fit the game, and are completely necessary.

I just had an argument with my office wall about this subject, and it accepts it better.

So True – people want what people want without regards to whether it is even possible.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Scouts become useless once you’ve found their hearts or know the areas they present.

They should be recycled with more uses. One of those uses could be this.

Talk with a scout, in like with the speed boosts in cities, they’ll give you a long boost that will work while out of combat.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

1. Traveler runes (Lv60)
2. Speed Runes (Lv60)
3. Centaur runes (lv60)
4. Weapon Skills that apply Swiftness + boon Duration
5. Signets that have ‘always on’ Switfness
6. Speed Boosters
7. Waypoints

yea we dont need mounts in this game, seriously.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

I could write a billion pages about my issues with GW2 and Anet. My long standing annoyance at how pvp has been neglected, how some classes have far too easy a time cough Warrior nerf already! cough.

…and yet, they did make a very pretty looking game world. I wouldnt want to rush through it, I enjoy looking at some of the landscape, its great. Credit where credit is due, the world looks awesome. Adding mounts would be yet another skin dive (wow had ground mounts. Then fast and slow versions. Then flying. Then fast and slow flying. Then cold weather. Then over all the other crap you used to care about. Not to mention, a billion and 1 skins that had no drop rate and were time gated. It was stupid and pointless. By Cata, the main islands, outland and northrend were empty ghost towns, with the odd top level playing flying over head now and again. I think that was partly down to the increased amount of traveling.

I suppose, in the interest in fairness, I could live with a sort of transport service that had a very small fee and would run you on a wagon to a waypoint, even if you havent discovered it. Maybe run it every 5 minutes and allow 20 people to board on. They would move at say 150% speed along the road to the next waypoint, then pops you out. But you cannot leave until its at the point. That I could live with, might be fun.

Nerelith.7360

You win all my internets

That would so rock, the Music brings back memories :-)

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Nerelith.7360

Waypoints suck. And they cost money. I like money. I don’t want to spend it on traveling. And I want my chocobo.

If you don’t Like using Waypoints because it costs money, you can walk. Plenty of people do… I don’t take a WP unless I am meeting someone somewhere, and then, only because I din’t want to keep them waiting. If I am just playing with my partner… we walk…everywhere.