In my opinion, the armor is ugly in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

Yeah, there should be more than 2 sets that aren’t coats. I even like a couple of the coats a lot, but they got the variety right with cloth armor. There, there’s a huge range of skimpy to modest stuff, in varying styles. Even heavy has a bit more variety than medium.

…Glad my main character wears light armor.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

A good portion of the medium armor in this game is just plain ugly, I don’t understand how they could have released these designs to the public.

It feels like a musketeer/van helsing fetish theme is happening with over half of all the armor.

Please for the love of god redesign some of the medium armor, they are fugly.

Posted by: Kymbre.6384

Kymbre.6384

I think that the problem is that for the ranger profession there aren’t many skimpy outfits for the female gender. Personally I am happy with that as I am sick and tired of seeing females in general being sexualized whether it is in a game or in the media and visual mediums. Really if you are wanting a Barbie doll to dress and play with go get said doll. My ranger who is a norn I find it refreshing that in the cold weather environment she is actually covered up so that she would not be frostbitten in the harsh environment.

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

A good portion of the medium armor in this game is just plain ugly, I don’t understand how they could have released these designs to the public.

It feels like a musketeer/van helsing fetish theme is happening with over half of all the armor.

like a trench coat fetish… which I don’t particular don’t mind. I went with a lower armor level look since I liked it alot better. I just wish we had more variety of clothes a bit more for engineer. Though a fair amount look nice, quite a bit deters me. O well, not everything is going to be everyone’s liking.

Attachments:

Posted by: Irishbrewed.6537

Irishbrewed.6537

Forum : aka opinions; aka not factual ; aka irrelevant topics of redundancy!

TLCR : I disagree and find the armor stunning.

Posted by: hellsmachine.4085

hellsmachine.4085

I’ve seen lots of amazing looking armor and people often compliment me on my armor. Don’t know what the OP is on about. He must be still level 20 or just have a different opinion on what nice looking armor is.

Posted by: Shredicus.8706

Shredicus.8706

Hah! Armor in this game is great!

Attachments:

Posted by: Hunterdan.4921

Hunterdan.4921

Yeah, you gotta work for the pretty. Standard gear is not the most diverse. Someone mentioned that Charr look stupid in leather, and I must agree. My Charr ranger looks like a monster in a trench coat, lol.

But it sure gives me a reason to run CoF!

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I wouldn’t say that armor is ugly but it doesn’t suit my tastes and the variety is surely lacking.

For ex, almost all leather chest pieces are long coats. Why?

Almost all light armor is frilly dress looking things. Why?

Most heavy armor has a skirt-like thing (it’s a KILT…errr).

For a game where the only thing we can really strive for is distinct appearances, I’m very disappointed in the variety.

Posted by: Zombeh.9706

Zombeh.9706

Armor aesthetics may not be Dark Souls or Skyrim quality in Gw2, but it is much better than it was in Gw1. Back then it was all about picking the least worst looking armor.
I think the only valid complaints could be that most medium armors are trenchcoats, and you don’t get plated heavy armor until around 60. Then again, it’s probably your fault that your character doesn’t look nice as kitten in super sexy trenchcoats.
Also, the only acceptable armor is crafting/karma/culture armor. I refuse to wear any dropped armor on any of my characters without a transmutation stone.

Posted by: Chaz.1835

Chaz.1835

I am loving the armor so far. I mean at first when my only choices were chain, ringmail or scale I was bored with it quickly, however once you get to around 30+ you can start finding plenty of new looks to keep you busy. Personally I am loving banded armor at the moment.

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

I bought the exotic “Emblazoned” set for my Ranger.. I couldn’t get my transmutation stones out fast enough, kitten that set is ugly >.<

Posted by: Caleindal.6794

Caleindal.6794

No issue with light, heavy is not as good as light but it beats medium.
Ohh look another trenchcoat.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Eh. I feel like they coulda done better. Nothing beats Vinditcus armor.
Doesn’t show TOO MUCH skin in most cases but it’s nice and shiny to look at lol. They did a good job showing barely any skin here [Female humans really.] but nothing to wow me expect Countess Anise outfit. I dislike how my Gypsy Ele looks at the moment. :c

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Rosen Myst.7641

Rosen Myst.7641

I agree that there are quite a few nice looking sets for light and heavy, but I haven’t seen anything amazing for my ranger. I checked out the human racial armor T3 and it’s too skimpy for my taste (why expose part of the breast?) isn’t armor spose to protect me .. lol..I actually like GW1 armor better than GW2 as far as ranger sets go.

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

The problem is there are WAY TOO FEW different armors in GW2. Some are ugly, some are fine – but the real problem is the small number of available armors.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

The medium armors in the game, aside from the specialty armors like dungeon and racial sets, are completely lackluster. There were two styles I saw from 1 – 80 – pirate and not pirate.

Not pirate was basically all longcoats and bandit masks. Even when I went to a level 80 karma vendor for a new breathing mask, it was another bandit mask, identical to the ones I’d been seeing since around level 15. Bland, unadorned and nondescript. I looked at the light and heavy designs and found them to be exceptionally interesting and unique. I also checked out a level 80 kodan karma vendor, just to see the difference in designs. The medium one was a design I remember from my mid-levels. No difference at all and certainly nothing about it that reminded me of the kodan culture. Again, quite the opposite for the light and heavy coats.

Leveling a Ranger has been pretty yawn-inspiring, as far as fashion goes. I used to think longrider coats were pretty nifty. Now, I think I’ll puke if I see another one.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

After playing WoW for years, i’m sort of happy that leather looks like leahter and light armor is.. light.

But I do agree on the lack of variety when leveling.
I really really would love to have a few more choices, or be able to make a few personal combinations.
And i’m not going to put a different look on leveling gear, that seems like a big waste…

Some pieces look nice for me, others don’t. But they all look like what they are supposed to be, which at least is good I think.

My verdict:
More variation: yes.
Happy with the general looks: sure.

The dye option makes up for a lot for me.
I’ve changed colors on gear every 5 or 10 levels I think

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: Vigilence.4902

Vigilence.4902

like a trench coat fetish… which I don’t particular don’t mind. I went with a lower armor level look since I liked it alot better. I just wish we had more variety of clothes a bit more for engineer. Though a fair amount look nice, quite a bit deters me. O well, not everything is going to be everyone’s liking.

I also main an engineer, and so many pieces just don’t fit with the class. Some variety in armor style would be nice.

So much of the heavy and light armor sets looks awesome, I wish the medium armor had the same love.

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

I really love the leather armor. There have been many times on my heavy or light wearers that I’ve dressingroomed the medium karma armor and went “oh man, I wanna wear THAT!”

Heavy armor is completely bland and generic until you get into the 50s

That being said, I REALLY wish they’d paid some attention to the bodymesh of the Charr when making their armor. The medium armor looks TERRIBLE on charr for the most part.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: SausageStorm.4293

SausageStorm.4293

They just stretched out the armor for Charrs while their tails noclipped in the back. :\

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

Yeah, Charr really really need more sleeveless/skirtless armor models. Just gimme a couple of leather straps and I’d be happy – why does Pit Fighter have to be heavy?

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I do find medium armour to be distasteful and unimaginative.

Posted by: poiuy.3907

poiuy.3907

So far for all the medium armor sets to level 80 I only like two sets in the whole game:

1 is the duelist level 70 to 79 ish exotic TP bought world drop armor.

2 is the human female T3 cultural medium armor that costs like 100g a set.

So so far I will only wear 80 exotic armor transmuted to look like duelist.

I wish this game had more armor sets like vindictus, blade and soul and tera, but sadly it does not.

Posted by: Leon Trotsky.3674

Leon Trotsky.3674

We just need more mundane/ordinary options for Light Armour that isn’t peasant fashion

Posted by: TotalLamer.2470

TotalLamer.2470

In my opinion, the only really good looking Medium armor is the Norn cultural stuff. Fortunately, my Ranger is a Norn.

OH! The Duelist PvE set is good too.

Posted by: Lurch.4793

Lurch.4793

Can we have some kittenty body suits, with stockings, like WoW’s Mageweave armour?

A favourite among night elven theves.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

The fancier light and medium armors are awfully … skirty. More pants please!

That said, I think my ranger’s going to grind for the Inquest dungeon armor, or at least the coat. And it’s the Vigil set eventually for my Mesmer, though he’s still only 30.

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

There is a TON of armour in this game.
8 dungeon armour sets(24 total sets)
3 tier’d culture armour for all 5 races (45 total sets)
3 42k Karma sets
3 Durmand Priory Sets
3 Order of Whispers sets
3 Vigil sets
3 PvP sets….

FOR BOTH MALE AND FEMALE!

That’s way more armour than all of gw1 combined, and if you don’t find 1 of those armour sets to look good? You sir need new eyes because yours are broken :P

EDIT: This is not including the beginner sets, the first lvl35 dungeon sets and the karma sets you find along the way throughout the game.

(edited by zityz.6089)

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

I quite like some of the armour designs in this game, though I’m bitterly disappointed in the lack of variety for males of the three adventurer professions.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

There is a TON of armour in this game.
8 dungeon armour sets(24 total sets)
3 tier’d culture armour for all 5 races (45 total sets)
3 42k Karma sets
3 Durmand Priory Sets
3 Order of Whispers sets
3 Vigil sets
3 PvP sets….

FOR BOTH MALE AND FEMALE!

That’s way more armour than all of gw1 combined, and if you don’t find 1 of those armour sets to look good? You sir need new eyes because yours are broken :P

EDIT: This is not including the beginner sets, the first lvl35 dungeon sets and the karma sets you find along the way throughout the game.

I must need new eyes. Out of all those, I’ve found only 2 I like. Both are racial mixed sets. lol

Anyway, IMO – the dungeon sets are the worst looking ones out there. Some too “WoW” like (glowy stuff) or cheap k-grinder stuff (Wings? really?) for my tastes.

Some people like that though, so good for it.

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

After seeing cloth and leather tier 3 cultural armor sets for Sylvari and now seeing the leather Twilight Arbor dungeon set, I’d say my racial armor looks pretty awesome.

I wouldn’t suggest disagreeing with me either, unless you like getting a beatdown from a walking plant.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Posted by: arctorius.3025

arctorius.3025

They have to give themselves room to grow as far as cool looking armor is concerned. If armor looked crazy awesome to begin with then where do they have to go from there? I mean WoW has some really really sweet armor sets but every time the tiers reset for the next expansion, the first few tiers are relatively plain.

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

Sorry OP and those that agree with him. WoW had some of the ugliest armor I ever came across. Granted some armor in WoW actually looks pretty nice and bad azz (forum won’t let me spell kitten ) but they seem to be in the minority.

So what it really comes down to is this. Looks are all subjective, one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

Posted by: LeoDeSol.7604

LeoDeSol.7604

To OP, I respectfully disagree…

Check out the this video poster’s channel to see all his kitten of the day videos. People are coming up with awesome looks. I have played most major MMOs and several less major ones, and I think GW2 has some of the best armor looks and customization options I have ever seen. Especially since it just came out. I am sure even more unique looks will come with expansions and content patches as time goes on.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Yeah, you are right

Attachments:

Posted by: valdamus.6289

valdamus.6289

I agree with OP. Is also a matter of what you have seen in the past. I played aion b4 and that was their bread and butter. Only a hand full of armor sets look AMAZING in gw2 AND you MUST be a human in order for the armor to look good. if you are anything else then gg.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I don’t mind it. The fact that you can transmute anything to look like something else is a good way around that.

Posted by: Kungkonung.6758

Kungkonung.6758

Yeah, the gear is in general pretty darn ugly, and it doesn’t really help that there is so little to choose from, either.

If you’re a class who’s wearing medium armor you better like trenchcoats and skirts as much as ANet, otherwise you can consider yourself trolled. And let’s not get started with the completely uninspired head-pieces.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

HEAVY ARMOR IS BEAST, but ya the other 2 classes are lack luster

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

There is an extreme lack of interesting and sexy medium armor. Heavy and Light have way more variety.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

To OP, I respectfully disagree…

Looks like a pudgy old man wearing his bed sheets. Not what I want to wear when I want a sexy character.
However, I’ll keep looking for good looking men’s armor. Not keeping my hopes up since I’ve already played around different combinations with different dyes at the PvP Locker.

Thanks for the link anyway

(edited by lorazcyk.8927)

Posted by: koyeth.7942

koyeth.7942

I agree with OP. Is also a matter of what you have seen in the past. I played aion b4 and that was their bread and butter. Only a hand full of armor sets look AMAZING in gw2 AND you MUST be a human in order for the armor to look good. if you are anything else then gg.

Aion has some great looking gear especially for females. Vindictus too.

What bugs me is the artwork during the loading screens has some really cool gear designs. then you get in game and it’s like wtf.

Posted by: Zuggy.4501

Zuggy.4501

For me and my taste I find the armor designs to either be amazing or awful, there are very few designs I just feel meh about. For example I absolutely love the Asura T1 (the skin I’ve been using since I bought it at 43) and T3 cloth armors. I also love the sort of Sci-Fi Nazi feel of the Sorrow’s Embrace cloth set. Takes me back to the Wolfenstein series. Conversely I hate the look of the Arah cloth armor, the Asura T2 cloth armor and my cloth Traveler’s set looks like something out of Saturday Night Fever, bell bottoms and all.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

It’s all personal taste, I guess.

For me the armor lacks variety. For ex, almost all medium armor is long coats. Boring and hideous.

I just don’t care for the art style either, I guess. I just find most of the armor types to be dorky looking, unattractive, uninteresting, or just flat out horrible.

Posted by: Kysus.4290

Kysus.4290

The armour art is a weak area in an otherwise great game. There are a few really nice platemail heavy armours and a lot of the medium armour sets are really fun, but I think male light armour wearers have it the worst – it’s predominantly ugly or ridiculous stuff, from the crafted outfit of an Aladdin pantomime to the floofy skirted winged/feathered messes of the higher tier stuff. The exalted light armour is just a disaster.

I’m really starting to miss the elegant mesmer armour and selection of masks from Guild Wars 1. I’m very, very glad that I have access to the heritage light armour, as it is such a nice set and I’m sad there are not more like it. I’m just hoping that ANet might consider rehiring the designer who made the GW1 mesmer armours. Or maybe at least stealing some of the fancy hats of the medium armour wearers.

Of course this is one of those YMMV areas.

Sanctum Cay Mercantile Company [SCAM] – Isle of Janthir

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

I would love to know how some of the designs got past the go/no go. I mean, what the process of this is.

Of course taste is subjective. But there is also such a thing as unanimity, when it comes to what’s beautiful and what’s not.

How can a majority pinpoint the good looking pieces out of the bunch, while internally the developers can’t?

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Overall, I find the regular armor styles in the game quite appealing. My biggest complaint about GW2 art (which is breathtakingly beautiful) are the high-end gear variations. They are much, much too WoWish for my tastes. I can’t see myself abandoning the really cool armor or weapon styles I already have on my characters (none over level 50) for any of the so-called “high end” or cash shop styles. I’m hoping they come out with some non-WoW-ish cash shop variations.

Posted by: Satakal.6971

Satakal.6971

My gripe is that there are few light armor pants in the game. Two that I know of, the CM (or was it AC, I always confuse the two) dungeon set has tight fitting pants (not very attractive on males hehe) and the asura cultural T2 baggy pants which I love (thankfully) and wear ATM.

Posted by: Kysus.4290

Kysus.4290

Another issue I have with the armour is the large amount of clipping going on. I’m not really referring to the clipping with weapons, but there are pieces of armour that clip with themselves or badly clip with the character meshes (like the Baroque mask). Again, some of the armour is really great, other sets just seem sloppy.

I also agree with the comment about the majority of higher end light armour being too WOW-ish.

Sanctum Cay Mercantile Company [SCAM] – Isle of Janthir