In my opinion, the armor is ugly in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eyevan.6027

Eyevan.6027

I find pretty much all of them horrendous (This includes majority of the dungeon armor). Well, at least for female Elem. I still use some fancy dress thing that looks more like town clothing, since it’s the only thing I can stand looking at (Also, I find it cute).

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

There’s some good looking stuff but IMO the main problem is lack of variety.

If you don’t like a long coat as a medium armor user you’re out of luck.

If you want heavy armor that doesn’t have a skirt/kilt/whatever you wanna call it, good luck.

If you want light armor that doesn’t look like some bizzaro evening dress for high class hookers, good luck.

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

Personally i think some of the “noob” skins look miles better than the high end stuff. I looked through the dungeon armors and could not find any that I like. so.. no dungeon grinding for me.

Dislike= spikes, glowing nonsense, random protrusions coming out of nowhere..that sort of thing. they’re not “kitten”, just ugly. dislike stuff thats overextravagant or foppish looking too..

probably gonna run with one of the lower tier skins and transmute it.. in GW i used the noob looking basic armors too so..no surprise there.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Posted by: BTT.2175

BTT.2175

This game really needs more clothing-like gear for light and medium in my opinion.
I don’t really like how human engineers look to be honest, most medium armors are aimed towards the masked vigilante theme, which might work for rangers and thieves but in my opinion not so much for engineers.
I want my character to look sciency without looking silly, with shiny, glowing things looking like a stormtrooper,
Wish I could just transmute light human racial t1 with the flasks and bottles and the silly goggles and be done with it.

Also had a hard time deciding on an armor set for my mesmer as well due to lack of better looking gear like those in GW1.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Yeah, you are right

^Also that armor looks like shT.

The Armor is great. The Dye job is horrific.

Just because i don’t use Black/WHite like 99,9% doesn’t mean it looks horrific.
It looks awsome… Tried black, white and all the other “majority” colors but then… i would look like everyone else, fun, no.

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

95% of the armors in GW2 is quite plain and boring looking.

If theres naything the Asians are good at doing, its armorlooks, Aion had awesome armorlooks.

Posted by: PowerGamer.2874

PowerGamer.2874

I didn’t even had to open the thread to guess from the title that OP is playing a medium armor class. There is one awesome looking set (female human cultural T3), one “meh” set I can stand to look at (“Prowler”) and the rest – well, I’d rather run around naked.

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

I finally found a spot that showed many of the armors and I really wasn’t that impressed. For heavy armor the strait up plate armor looks really bad and the freaky stuff just doesn’t interest me. The medium and light ones also were pretty bad

Heavy armors: please give us some basic plate armor kits, no spikes no bull horns, and a full helm that obscures my face. GW1 Plate esque or Knights.

Mediums: can you please do some good looking tight leather that does not have a shoulder bone thing. Those things ruin a good set of armor

While you are at it can you let us apply dye to our weapons?

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

To each their own. I personally love the armor in this game. It is both natural looking (for the most part) and the number of crazy fantasy spikes, 6’ shoulders, etc is limited dramatically. I hated that stuff from WoW. Some prefer that, I prefer armor that looks semi-natural and realistic.

Yes early on the variation in armor sets isn’t very strong, but if you know where to look you can find some pretty cool looking armor even at level 30. There are many ways to get pretty good looking lower level armor. From crafted, karma sets, heritage armor (from GW1), cultural sets (though expensive they generally look fantastic), dungeon armor (though the pre-80 sets all look alike) and random drops that can look pretty good too.

My lvl 14 Asura necro looks ‘completely’ different from my 27 Human Mesmer. The necro is wearing the t1 crafted set, Embroidered and the other is wearing mostly the Seraph Issue set from Kessex Hills.

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

Well, this is an opinion thread. Personally, I have been spending a ton of time on my armors making them look “just right” If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d figgure out how to post a screenshot of my Sylvan ele’s costume. Playing around with dyes can make a huge difference. I love the armor here, especially the cultural. Ugly? Not by a long shot, to me. I actually have come to think it’s the most awesome looking armor online Everyone has different tastes. Now the weapons on the otherhand I think border on silly looking, especially those gargantuan greatswords others think look cool. I’d like to see more attention paid to fine detailing rather than size, but whatever. Some look nice.

~Jade Quarry Server~

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

Of all the MMO games I have played GW armor is ugly. No cool looking armor just to be cool looking. I do not know who designs the armor but why no cool swashbuckler style armor for light armor.. why is it all so ugly. I play a Female Ranger and armor is ugly no female style at all in the armor.. same with the male armor. I ultimately hate the looks of almost all the armor in GW.

You clearly haven’t seen EQ2’s armor. They’re the pinnacle of ugly, not to mention plasticy. This is one of the few games where I like almost all of the armor and I’m damed picky.

No kidding. Those ugly EQ2 graphics drove me out of the game in about 1 month.

My Asura ranger has been through about 3 different looks and is only level 31, and I loved each look. My Human thief is level 11 and I’m thinking about saving his current set and using it for the graphical template for higher level gear. It’s exactly as I envisioned him.

EQ2 armor used to be incredible looking, until the last 2 or 3 xpacs where the greedy company put 99.9% of the cool looking armors on the cash shop. The cash shop armors are still extremely cool looking, but the ones you “earn” in game are terrible, often the same armor as the tier before with only a palette change to an already ugly armor.

The other thing in GW2 there doesn’t seem to be much variety. Some of the stuff is cool, although a bit too steampunk or final fantasyish huge swords for me, I just wish there were more variety. I’m not talking about the 100+ gold stuff you have to grind for that most will not have, but simply just leveling thru PVE and dungeons.

The other HUGE annoyance which will probably take away a lot of interest I have in GW2 is not having appearance slots. I know it’s a move by Anet to make more money via the cash shop, but it’s kind of a crappy move IMO and I wish they figured another way to make money. I’d rather see appearance slots for free, but appearance armor on the cash shop which I’d gladly spend money for.

Posted by: Chaide.8620

Chaide.8620

Troll post is troll. This game is amazingly beautiful. I am blown away every time I log in. It would be like complaining that would be like my Sylvari looks “gay” or that it dances like a “gayelf”. If you don’t like something, don’t play it. If you don’t like a game, don’t play it. I think you are simply wasting time that you could be out there getting cooler armor :P

Posted by: Geekcheck.3407

Geekcheck.3407

Totally agree. I have the same problem as the OP — The armor in GW2 is hands down just bad. While there is variety, the choices are either extremely bland or downright garish. Many of the high-end armors are too ornate and are comical at best with protruding spikes or abstract designs that don’t even resemble armor — And if you are light armor wearer (and female) you end up wearing some reject prom dress from the 80s.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

95% of the armors in GW2 is quite plain and boring looking.

If theres naything the Asians are good at doing, its armorlooks, Aion had awesome armorlooks.

Aion sucked in many ways but yeh they did have some cool armours. Mind you, GW2 copied a fair number of things from Aion but not the design.

It is kind of odd because they had better looking armour in GW1.

Some people here say that exotic gear looks better and they should wait till they get that but I agree that most exotic gear looks pretty horrendous too. I’m still hoping for content updates with more armour

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I believe the majority of medium and heavy armor are very ugly, but if you do some mix-matching you can get something good like this:

Attachments:

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Sorry for the guys who rolled a female thief in hope to look like FFX-2 Rikku, but Arenanet seems to care about the themes of the professions that will wear their armor sets when designing them, and for the sake of thieves and rangers, it makes perfect sense that the majority of the medium armors are not skimpy. While engineers also wear medium armor I don’t really see them much more fit for that kind of gear.

You should have seen this coming too. Look at Guild Wars 1’s armor sets, Assassins and Ranger gear had the least revealing armors by a long shot.

It works for light armor because they’re not supposed to get hit, and it actually makes perfect sense for mesmers.

It also works for heavy armor because of the warrior profession, which is the epitome of fitness, strength and with a “come at me bro” attitude. Just think of the movie 300.

But for a trapist or a criminal kind of character, it doesn’t really fit.

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

I agree. The game needs way better looking armor. Everything is so bland.

Can we get NPC armors? I’ve seen some awesome armors on NPC/tonics, but all the stuff I find, and 80% of the dungeon armor looks hideous. BLERHG. Puke.

Bring back artwork from Gw1. I loved nearly everything but Obsidian on Warriors. xD Pleaseeee release more/put more work into new armors.

Medium armor seems to be the worst imo. Mixing didn’t work either. Looked even WORSE somehow.

Been cruising with my HoM gear cause everything else was. ^^^ blerhg

Posted by: Corew.8932

Corew.8932

My first char was a male Ranger and as I don’t have a fetish for long leather coats I find it hard to come up with something I like. Now I’m soon done with a female Mesmer and what can I say.. I’d kill for a pair of regular pants without extra fluff…

Posted by: Kysus.4290

Kysus.4290

I believe the majority of medium and heavy armor are very ugly, but if you do some mix-matching you can get something good like this:

Those look great! There are some interesting combinations you can make by mixing sets. It’s worth playing with the PvP lockers.

I also echo everything people have said about the need for more armour without ridiculous spikes / space marine shoulders & about the majority of light armour looking like bad halloween outfits / prom dresses / runaway carnival floats. I keep seeing NPCs in outfits I want, so I’m hoping they will become available eventually. And maybe fewer spikey platemail sets & more ‘clothing’-ish designs for light armour & medium armour wearers.

Sanctum Cay Mercantile Company [SCAM] – Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Sorry for the guys who rolled a female thief in hope to look like FFX-2 Rikku, but Arenanet seems to care about the themes of the professions that will wear their armor sets when designing them, and for the sake of thieves and rangers, it makes perfect sense that the majority of the medium armors are not skimpy. While engineers also wear medium armor I don’t really see them much more fit for that kind of gear.

You should have seen this coming too. Look at Guild Wars 1’s armor sets, Assassins and Ranger gear had the least revealing armors by a long shot.

It works for light armor because they’re not supposed to get hit, and it actually makes perfect sense for mesmers.

It also works for heavy armor because of the warrior profession, which is the epitome of fitness, strength and with a “come at me bro” attitude. Just think of the movie 300.

But for a trapist or a criminal kind of character, it doesn’t really fit.

Thief is the one profession where skimpy armor would be perfectly reasonable. It’s a profession that relies on it’s mobility more than any other. The lighter and tighter, the better. I wouldn’t say that is necessarily the case for Engineer or Ranger, especially Engineer. But despite that, I sure wish there were some “skimpy” armors for my Ranger, regardless, just for the sake of variety.

80 levels worth of longcoats and bandit masks has exhausted my interest in the aesthetic completely. I can only hope that the Halloween update introduces something new and interesting by way of medium armor sets. Maybe even costume slots like in GW1, so I can actually participate in combat wearing something very cool. Perhaps something like Raiment of the Lich from the first game.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

Some of the armour is great but what gets me is the utter lack of variety. If you’re a female Scholar, you’re either a scholar/student type, or you look like you fell from a float in a Brazilian carnival. If you’re a male Scholar, you better like robes. If you’re an Adventurer, it’s trenchcoats for all! Soldiers have a little more variety but it’s not by much.

Where are the elegant sets? Where are the pants without long robes/skirts/trenchcoats? The dresses? Where did the monk aesthetic from GW1 go? Or the ritualist’s style? For that matter, what happened to the ‘refined’ mesmer look or the pseudo-bondage of the necromancers? Variety… I wish there was more of it.

(edited by Safer Saviour.9685)

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Other than the amazing graphics, the armor designs are pretty plain or just too much (DER IS FIRE COMING OUT OF MY EYES!!!) There is not much variation in the designs either, like heavy armors are just plate mail, medium armors are long coats, light is a skimpy top with a long skirt bottom (with a few exceptions).

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Kasura.4685

Kasura.4685

As a female human mesmer I’ve found very few armors I’m interested in. None of which are the dungeon sets. But like someone said there is room to improve.

I think it would be awesome in the future to have class specific armors … I love how the mesmer looks in their concept art and would love to see what else they could come up with and perhaps apply in game.

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

80 levels worth of longcoats and bandit masks has exhausted my interest in the aesthetic completely. I can only hope that the Halloween update introduces something new and interesting by way of medium armor sets. Maybe even costume slots like in GW1, so I can actually participate in combat wearing something very cool. Perhaps something like Raiment of the Lich from the first game.

I fully agree. I think you would be very happy to see this post:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Costumes/first#post448246

Oh look. A costume feature! <3

Attachments:

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

Wow, can you list what armors and what dyes you used for the heavy armor pic? Very very nice looking.

(edited by Rick.1378)

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

With my warrior I found the one set that I really enjoy so I have reskinned it onto 80 exotic karma armor. I am just glad to have gotten the Vigil heavy armor. Most of the 80 armor sets are just over the top. I believe it can be fancy and awesome in so many other ways than the method they chose. They really got tunnel visioned on many of the armor sets. I am only hoping they are holding off on sets for the expansion. Maybe in the expansion they won’t have suites of armor that constantly look like skirts or dresses or trenchcoats.

Posted by: Raven.5281

Raven.5281

New models would be nice, or more basic models even. I hate getting and upgrade and learning it looks the same or just like a previous piece I had. I don’t even mind the ‘boring’ armor. I just wish there was more of it. It almost feels like there are half a dozen different ‘basic’ armor styles.

I also have a hate for Mesmer starter gear and some cloth sets, which has resulted in my Mesmer being a Charr… because no one wants to see a Charr in a miniskirt. Also Charr are cool imo.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’m a bit disappointed that they didn’t keep armour profession-specific, like they did in Guild Wars 1.

I also find a lot of the female armours to be incredibly exploitative, but given the stunned, pre-pubescent blow-up doll facial features and Barbie doll figures of the majority of human females, I’m not really surprised that the majority of female armours seem to have been crafted for testosterone-fueled adolescent boys or creepy old perverts. That bizarre, crotchless Little Bo Peep dress for light armour wearers in particular is like some weird fetishistic nightmare.

But I also have a good laugh at the majority of the ridiculous “Prestige” armours. Upon release of the game, my friend and I previewed all of the Dungeon armours. We saw the Cathedral of Flame ones, knew they were utterly ridiculous, but because of the absurd gamer community obsession with shiny/spiky things, we correctly predicted that every numpty and his brother would be wearing it within a matter of weeks.

Sophistication and elegance are rare in GW2, with the artists instead favouring gauche, exploitative “styles”, and it’s a massive shame.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Antigono.1258

Antigono.1258

I think some armors are pretty good, and other are extreme ugly.

If you are playing with a female Ranger (like me) .. My god,, the armors are very very ugly and without style.
The only armor that actually like me, but is not a greeat thing, is the lvl3 cultural,, but, for me, its too expensive.

I dont know why they did the medium armor like this.

sorry for my english..

Posted by: Xolosheep.1649

Xolosheep.1649

I think the sylvari armors are pretty. My main is a sylvari ranger. When I started the game I was disappointed by the lack of sylvari look in armor selection. However I managed to find something I think looks ok. I’ve been shooting for the tier 3 cultural since lvl 1, but at 100G+ thats a long term goal.

I settled for the tier 2 when I was around lvl 65 because I got tired of the trench coat look. With some color tweak it looks much better than the default color. Tier 1 medium set is still ugly. It sucks that the best looking sylvari light and heavy set are tier 1 and 2, but for medium it’s tier 3 :S. I guess it makes sense if you wanna look like Caithe…

Currently I have cultural tier 3 coat + tier 2 other parts and she looks awesome! The leaves on my coat glow in the dark and it’s a very cool design. Still working my way to full tier 3 set and I’m getting close to it~

Kudos to whoever designed the tier 3 medium armor / Caithe!

Blacklight.2871

I’m a bit disappointed that they didn’t keep armour profession-specific, like they did in Guild Wars 1.

I also find a lot of the female armours to be incredibly exploitative, but given the stunned, pre-pubescent blow-up doll facial features and Barbie doll figures of the majority of human females, I’m not really surprised that the majority of female armours seem to have been crafted for testosterone-fueled adolescent boys or creepy old perverts. That bizarre, crotchless Little Bo Peep dress for light armour wearers in particular is like some weird fetishistic nightmare.

But I also have a good laugh at the majority of the ridiculous “Prestige” armours. Upon release of the game, my friend and I previewed all of the Dungeon armours. We saw the Cathedral of Flame ones, knew they were utterly ridiculous, but because of the absurd gamer community obsession with shiny/spiky things, we correctly predicted that every numpty and his brother would be wearing it within a matter of weeks.

Sophistication and elegance are rare in GW2, with the artists instead favouring gauche, exploitative “styles”, and it’s a massive shame.

I wish anything you said here was actually true. I’ve been hunting for some sexy “exploitive” armor and it’s been a tough slog. The armor my Ranger is wearing right now covers everything but her eyes. It’s the only way you can even tell that’s she’s sylvari and not human, but you need to look real close.

Now back to my quest for Tier 3 medium cultural armor for my human thief. Glorious under-boob, here I come.

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

There are plenty of great looking armoursets and weapons. If your character is lvl80 anyway. Below that, maybe your race’s cultural tier 1/2 that you probably can’t afford before lvl80.
What is different in GW2, is that during lvling you barely have choice in armour looks.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Just go to the three orders and preview their armor sets (though you must be of that order to see the shop). I wish my ele was priory as that set is sexy! Also there are very rare sets (in orr) that make you look like the heroes of GW 1. Mhenlo anyone? The wiki has almost all of them with images.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Mungrul.9358

I wish anything you said here was actually true.

Welcome to the world of subjectivity and independent opinion.

Also, I’m assuming that by “Sexy” you really mean “Revealing”.
Medium armour being so would probably invalidate its status as armour, but I can assure you, there are medium sets out there that are ridiculously revealing.
Take the Order of Whispers set for example:
Click to reveal

That torso piece is ridiculous when it comes to offering protection, but probably qualifies for the younger, lustful teen audience as being “Sexy”.

If you really want your character to look like she’s out for a night on the tiles or soliciting business from desperate men, there are plenty of options out there. You just have to look a tiny bit harder, but I’m sure you’ll be doing enough of that when you finally acquire it, so doing so now shouldn’t be a laborious task for you.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

@Apathy
“Waahhh, my blues aren’t super cool looking.

There’s plenty of fancy looking armors in the game."

And this is a prime example of why this community is so horrible. OP has a legit complaint and the fanboi posts that. Simply amazing. “Oh noes a negative comment about my game I love. I better flame him.”

The armor is horrible looking and so plain. The look of armor is actually really important in a game and important to a lot of people. People want to look kitten for the effort in getting higher items. Not saying all items should rock, but the higher level and better gear you get should start to look better.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Also, “higher level” should be 40+ IMO. The fanciest gear makes sense at 80, but we shouldn’t have the play through the entire game, just to start getting good looking stuff at the end.

Blacklight.2871

I wish anything you said here was actually true.

Welcome to the world of subjectivity and independent opinion.

Also, I’m assuming that by “Sexy” you really mean “Revealing”.
Medium armour being so would probably invalidate its status as armour, but I can assure you, there are medium sets out there that are ridiculously revealing.
Take the Order of Whispers set for example:
Click to reveal

That torso piece is ridiculous when it comes to offering protection, but probably qualifies for the younger, lustful teen audience as being “Sexy”.

If you really want your character to look like she’s out for a night on the tiles or soliciting business from desperate men, there are plenty of options out there. You just have to look a tiny bit harder, but I’m sure you’ll be doing enough of that when you finally acquire it, so doing so now shouldn’t be a laborious task for you.

Hmm. That would hurt if I wasn’t too old to be affected by puritanical shame and guilt. I kind of shed that foolishness when I stopped attending Sunday school. Most adults eventually grow out of it. Maybe you will too?

EDIT: And I meant “sexy”. Finding it tough to say that word, are we?

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

In my opinion all the helmets in this game look terrible. Absolutely terrible. I have yet to see a helm in this game that makes me go “I want that”. Armors look great, but ArenaNet has NEVER been good at designing helmets for their characters. I don’t get how in the world the Flame Legion medium helm fits the armor. It just looks ridiculously bad. Whenever I see someone wearing that I facepalm and wonder why they’d ruin their characters looks.

But I have full flame on my thief. It looks fantastic. I just don’t show the helm, because it looks really bad, especially on a Charr.

Mungrul.9358

Hmm. That would hurt if I wasn’t too old to be affected by puritanical shame and guilt. I kind of shed that foolishness when I stopped attending Sunday school. Most adults eventually grow out of it. Maybe you will too?

Not at all, I can say sexy ‘til the cows come home, it’s just that the definition of the term in MMO land is, as I stated before, often gauche, certainly lewd and definitely over the top.
Sexy does not necessarily mean absence of clothing.
Sexy does DEFINITELY not mean almost paedophilic, which given the modelling of human female’s faces, GW2 tends to skew uncomfortably towards.

You know what I find ironic?
Fall all of its flaws, Age of Conan, a game famed for bare breasts, has some of the most reasonable, well thought out female armour I’ve seen in MMOs.

ArenaNet could learn a thing or two from that game in regards to female armour.

In closing, take a look at Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor or Fantasy Armor and Lady Bits for some very good commentary on this issue.

When it comes down to it, it’s nothing to do with “Puritanical shame and guilt”, and all to do with practicality and a lack of imagination on behalf of ArenaNet’s artists, with a sprinkling of unease at the idea that they assume that the male audience is only capable of thinking with their crotches when it comes to female representation in video games.

Posted by: NBlitz.9083

NBlitz.9083

@Apathy
“Waahhh, my blues aren’t super cool looking.

There’s plenty of fancy looking armors in the game."

And this is a prime example of why this community is so horrible. OP has a legit complaint and the fanboi posts that. Simply amazing. “Oh noes a negative comment about my game I love. I better flame him.”

The armor is horrible looking and so plain. The look of armor is actually really important in a game and important to a lot of people. People want to look kitten for the effort in getting higher items. Not saying all items should rock, but the higher level and better gear you get should start to look better.

Might I add, even more so in a Barbie MMO such as GW2? Where the “end game”, or at least the biggest part of it, is how one looks?

Posted by: Device.1357

Device.1357

Sexy does DEFINITELY not mean almost paedophilic, which given the modelling of human female’s faces, GW2 tends to skew uncomfortably towards.

It’s funny how you’re arguing about what sexy means when you don’t even know what paedophilic is. Paedophilia is related to age (of consent) and not facial or bodily features.

Also, this hardly looks “paedophilic” http://i.imgur.com/8fJ50.jpg

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

Not at all, I can say sexy ‘til the cows come home, it’s just that the definition of the term in MMO land is, as I stated before, often gauche, certainly lewd and definitely over the top.

You know what I find ironic?
Fall all of its flaws, Age of Conan, a game famed for bare breasts, has some of the most reasonable, well thought out female armour I’ve seen in MMOs.

ArenaNet could learn a thing or two from that game in regards to female armour.

In closing, take a look at Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor or Fantasy Armor and Lady Bits for some very good commentary on this issue.

When it comes down to it, it’s nothing to do with “Puritanical shame and guilt”, and all to do with practicality and a lack of imagination on behalf of ArenaNet’s artists, with a sprinkling of unease at the idea that they assume that the male audience is only capable of thinking with their crotches when it comes to female representation in video games.

There are a diverse range of armors, some show skin and some don’t.

If you don’t like it just don’t equip armor that shows skin, there are plenty of choices out there for you regardless of armor type. To say all GW2 armor is revealing is a complete lie.

Out of my 3 alts one is a human female and sometimes I like to equip her with a more revealing outfit and sometimes something functional (which can be sexy too).

I think you are overreacting on your righteous crusade for taste when this is just a video game. It is not real life, the majority people don’t exhibit the same behavior between both. To expect them too is just silly, I play this game to take a break from the restrictions of real life, of course I am going to behave differently.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I agree about Aion armor looks, now that I look back on it. I’m usually not a fan of the exaggerated asian-style of armor but Aion’s was quite classy and had some nice variety.

Speaking of Aion, something I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see in this game, would be having armor skins that are completely unique to each and every zone. Kind of like how in Aion, that lvl 37 solo-dungeon that had those really bad kitten looking skins unique to that dungeon that you could farm or re-skin and sell to other.

But anyway, you could make it so it so if you wanted some armor skins from a zone, you’d have to go back to that zone, do some jumping puzzles, or boss fights, or buy from heart vendors, reagents needed to create the skins in the Mystic Forge. It would be fantastic for replayability in those zones, and give some more variety in skins.

The skins could sort of reflect the zone, for example Queensdale skins could be more humbled, definately not epic or flashy or exotic, but something like a nice classy looking Squire-esque look for heavy armor, maybe a bandit/hunter look for medium armor and a Student/Study look for light armor. But again unique to QUEENSDALE.

I think it would be quite awesome.

Posted by: Odona.8402

Odona.8402

Sigh, I have to support this thread. Armors in Guild Wars 2 are UGLY >_< !
Though I think that male armors are actually decent compared to other games.
But female…. sigh.

Sooo many people use only the winged set or some parts of it as light armor – go figure !

Mungrul.9358

I’m reacting against a background level of game geek chauvinism that simply needs to end. The arguments for sexy armour in games amounts to nothing more than “Women in video games are fine, as long as they’re hot”.
Town clothes, fine, do as you please.
Armour?
Yeah, stop pandering to the tastes of little boys, no matter how old they are.

As for arguing against paedophilic appearances, that face posted by Device is famously the only face that even attempts to render a realistic older woman, and even then, it’s little more than caricature.
This default face is far more representative of the human female faces, and who can honestly stand up and say that they’re not a little disturbed by it?

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

@Mungrul, that face reminds me of one of my exes when I was younger. Does that make me a pedo even though we were the same age? I was playing video games too at the time, did you ever stop and think that not everyone playing this game is old? Its a video game, the audience is typically younger people who surprise, find younger looking women (but clearly mature) attractive.

Arenanet is pandering to EVERYONE. That includes puritans like yourself and hormone crazed teenage boys. There are all kinds of armor sets, just because you don’t happen to like a subset of them doesn’t make it any more right then people who ONLY want revealing armor.

The arguments for non sexy armour in games amounts to nothing more than “Women in video games are fine, as long as they’re not attractive or youthful looking”.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

(edited by Sundial.9015)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I’m reacting against a background level of game geek chauvinism that simply needs to end. The arguments for sexy armour in games amounts to nothing more than “Women in video games are fine, as long as they’re hot”.
Town clothes, fine, do as you please.
Armour?
Yeah, stop pandering to the tastes of little boys, no matter how old they are.

As for arguing against paedophilic appearances, that face posted by Device is famously the only face that even attempts to render a realistic older woman, and even then, it’s little more than caricature.
This default face is far more representative of the human female faces, and who can honestly stand up and say that they’re not a little disturbed by it?

I want sexy male armor. =[

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I just think there should be a ton more armor in the game to choose from, especially cosmetic clothes since we have these town slots but nothing to really put in them.

To top it off, female Asura & Charr really need their own set of clothing to differentiate themselves from the males. Asuran armor looks like crap for females and it upsets me since it’s my favorite race.

Hope they start adding more…

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Posted by: Device.1357

Device.1357

There are more non-“paedophilic” faces than “paedophilic” faces. Almost the whole second page is not child-like.

Also why would you be disturbed by a face in a video game? Are you disturbed around girls and women in real life? Are you perhaps a paedophile?

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

Anyone who thinks the armor in this game is bad has never playted LOTRO, with its lamp-shade helmets.

There are quite a bit of nice looking armor in GW2. Like many have said, its mostly the karma or racial armor etc. For the men anyways, I have no idea about the women characters. The armor though is very expensive.