Incoming Mounts??

Incoming Mounts??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I don’t want mounts. Please please please NEVER put them in this game. Thank you.

As I recall, they said there would never be mounts, ESPECIALLY not flying ones.

What if they added a flying mount of Logan Thackeray with fairy wings?

Hahahaha!

Elyl Jrend

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

We had some mounts in GW1, but I don’t see it fitting in GW2.

Ssshhh ^_^

Elyl Jrend

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Tomanak.3496

Tomanak.3496

Now they are releasing a Riding Broom that (from my understanding) is the same as the Riding Broom from the Witch’s Outfit. Makes those who purchased the limited time only costume, waste their money. It’s kind of a downer for those that bought the item thinking they had something unique, and then a few months later, they sell the best part of the item to everyone else, making those who bought it before, waste their money on a full costume for the broom while others can just buy the broom separately now.

The announcement mentions a “redesigned favorite”… kinda sounds like the Riding Broom to me. Which would mean that it is not going to be the same as the Riding Broom from the Witch’s Outfit.

Now, they may make it so similar that there’s no benefit to having the original… or it may just be flat out better than the original. Why don’t we just wait and see, though?

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Kain.9127

Kain.9127

Please no mounts, ever. Thank you.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

dont think mounts will even be considered for at least 5 years.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Prevvy.1936

Prevvy.1936

They said no higher tier than exotic will be added, we now have ascended. Mounts are incoming ppl, deal with it!
Personally I would prefer backpieces which will give you wings, aura, or simply lifts you off the ground (kinda like a ghost) over mounts. But pleeeease add the ability for asura to piggyback on other races

Prevvy Hyperion | [VII] Seventh Legion | [dF] Driven By Fury

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

If they ever implement mounts, I hope they:
- Make them no faster than swifteness, so its not mandatory for chasing people or to get away.
- Make it like environmental weapons (changing your skills), or even better, like the wintersday snowball-arena, where you get skills based on your mount/profession (no thiefs stealthing with mounts!!)
- Make it a bit like siege golens, where you get a mount and it stays there (not poping out of your inventory every time you need) and can be killed. (You should take good care of your pets!)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

“It’s a new year, which means all-new items and a redesigned favorite in the Gem Store!

From Baby Quaggan Backpacks to Riding Brooms to the revamped Box o’ Fun, you’ll find it all in the Gem Store!"

Riding Brooms! Can it be anything else than a mount?! maybe even a flying one?

We’ve been asking for mounts since beta, that’s awesome if I you implement them. (But please not just in the Gem Store! )

Translation:

A very small minority has been begging to change this game into a clone of another popular game including the introduction of needless mounts. It would be disastrous for the game if they were implemented and therefor it’s awesome for devs to crush dreams like that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

They said no higher tier than exotic will be added, we now have ascended. Mounts are incoming ppl, deal with it!
Personally I would prefer backpieces which will give you wings, aura, or simply lifts you off the ground (kinda like a ghost) over mounts. But pleeeease add the ability for asura to piggyback on other races

They never said there would be no higher tier, that argument has been done to death. They have also never specifically stated they would not have mounts. It’s a possibility, maybe, in the future. May the six gods have mercy on our souls if they do implement them.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: InvalidID.9843

InvalidID.9843

Oh, man, the ANet posts in this thread have me laughing pretty good. XD

In response to the OP, I’ve read other replies from ANet staff that mounts will most likely never happen. Why? Because of waypoints. If mounts were implemented, it would defeat the purpose of waypoints. The waypoints were made for faster travel, and will most likely be the only means of faster travel. In all honesty, I really hope it stays this way.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: HunterFox.2578

HunterFox.2578

Hello, I’m here to crush your dreams.

There will be no mounts coming with the Flame and Frost story arc.

Also, to address further speculation we’ve seen about the concept art for Flame and Frost (and what it may portend): there will be no Cantha and no dragons coming with the Flame and Frost story arc, either.

Thank you.

But you haven’t ruled out unicorns.

ANET SAYS WE’RE GETTING UNICORNS!

This is why I enjoy reading the forums. I’m just glad the ANet community has a sense of humor to post meme’s. That means they aren’t just robots.

For all those who want a mount, maybe they’ll give speed boosts for WvW only (since you have to buy WP’s) eventually if its added in the suggestion forum. Could care less for pve enviro but for those that whine….

Attachments:

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

It’s funny, but reading this thread, especially those who seem to suffer from mountophobia, totally reminds me when people discuss chat bubbles. There are some who are absolutely terrified of the very idea… some people just don’t like options it seems.

And the funniest thing is, this game already forces invisible mounts on everyone. Try catching someone running swiftness without your own perma-swiftness on, which requires a specific build and traits/signets selected. There’s your mount, you just can’t see it. XD

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

The irrational fear of mounts of some people is really surprising…
Let’s review the “reasons” invoked against mounts…

• First, the worst one. Mounts will turn this game into WoW.
    Any veteran MMORPG player will tell you mounts existed in those games way before WoW even existed as alpha prototype. For instance, UO had mounts. Yes, my young friends, there were MMORPGs before WoW, and very good ones too, with mounts.
  • Mounts will ruin the world.
    More irrational fear not backed up by any facts. While flying mounts often if not always ruin game worlds because it makes them feel empty since everyone is hovering above it, ground mounts don’t have that problem. People on mounts are still in the world, can still be seen by others, can still be hailed after being seen.
  • Mounts will ruin Dynamic Events (aka “DEs”).
    Actually, this couldn’t be more wrong. If anything, mounts will make more people encounter those events when riding around… you don’t understand why? Pretty simple… what gives one more chances to encounter an events while in the world, instantly teleporting from point A to point B, or riding from point A to point B? Yeah, you got it, mounts keep the player in the world way more than teleporting between waypoints. And the more people are in the world, the higher the chance they encounter a Dynamic Event.
  • Mounts can be used for griefing. The solution for that is simple, just make mounts impossible to use in any capital city, and make NPC name plates show through mounts. This argument is also quite nonsensical, since there are many other mechanics in this game that can be used for griefing… and removing them would make the game much less fun.

This game desperately needs features like mounts. Ground mounts only of course. The game needs diversity in the possible activities proposed to the players, and collecting mounts is a favorite for many. Not to mention the juicy profit ANet could make by putting mounts in the cash shop too.

My take:

• Mounts should give a speed increase, but not more than the fastest speed buff available without a mount, which is 25% I believe.
  • Mounts should not be available in World vs World or sPvP, for obvious reasons.
  • Mounts would also not work in any of the capital cities, also for obvious reasons.
  • Mobs should have a chance to dismount you, not too annoying, but also not allowing you to rush through a thick pack of mobs unharmed. The solution of LOTRO where the mount has a health bar is quite excellent.
  • Mounts could have a special skill bar with mount specific skills, changing depending on the mount type, which would permit different mounts to have different advantages.

I personally think ground mounts could bring a lot to this game, and the skill system is tailor made to support mounts too. They would mean more things to do for players, and more potential income for ANet. And those who really don’t want to use them aren’t forced to anyway.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Anet will be releasing mounts as part of their April 1, 2013 patch. Only a few more months guys!

Any bets someone will take this out of context? plus ten internets to you lol

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

You want mounts? Be an asura. They ride around inside golems. Want a golem sans the asura? Play WvW! You can purchase yourself a golem and ride into the zerg like a hero of heroes.

Might be a little costly and everyone will yell at you, but what’s all that when compared to accomplishing your mount dreams in GW2? Be a rebel! :D

Incoming Mounts??

InvalidID.9843

“Mounts should give a speed increase, but not more than the fastest speed buff available without a mount, which is 25% I believe.”

50% is the fasted speed boost, actually. Though, only the engie has this speed boost (it’s the function skill for the Slick Shoes utility; lasts for 5 seconds, and has a 45 second cool down).

That aside, if mounts do come into play, I totally agree that they shouldn’t be usable in WvW or sPvP (and like you said, for obvious reasons). While I still don’t like the idea of mounts coming to GW2, you do have some good ideas for them if they do come into play.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: microdark.7013

microdark.7013

There Shall not be mounts!
Seriously, want to go fast? Use a waypoint, ANet isn’t going to add mounts to the game, ever! Don’t know why this always turns into this discussion, its even off topic.

Incoming Mounts??

Korrigan.4837

There Shall not be mounts!

Why? Reasons? And no, “because they suck” isn’t good enough.

Seriously, want to go fast? Use a waypoint

… and skip most of the beautiful world in the process, reducing the chance to encounter events and/or meet other players to zero.

ANet isn’t going to add mounts to the game, ever!

They never said that. Ever.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Codata.2019

Codata.2019

Why mounts? We have so many waypoints, mounts would be useless. Only if they remove the waypoints then mounts would be useful.

Incoming Mounts??

Korrigan.4837

And i hope they never add mounts.

Why? Reasons? How would they affect you? You can still use waypoints…

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Why the fascination with mounts? Is it a vanity thing?
I am really curious since games like Sacred (single player hack n slash) pretty much put me off mounts.
They were so much more trouble than they were worth, I just ditched mine by the side of the road eventually.
In GW2 you never see NPC’s mounted, you see many of them walking though- I like it it makes the world feel real to me- a guy just zipping by on his mount would take away from that I think.
We do have waypoints for fast travel, but mostly I just run, I enjoy it.

Gunnar’s Hold

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

This game doesnt need mounts…at all.

If they were to add a mount would be then for fancy purpose or for the sake of just collect something like the minipets

I took an arrow to the knee

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Seriously, want to go fast? Use a waypoint

… and skip most of the beautiful world in the process, reducing the chance to encounter events and/or meet other players to zero.

Right, because people want to have mounts in order to move around the world slowly, and to increase the chance of random encounters and running into aggro mobs.

Personally, i see no problem with mounts. They wouldn’t be faster than using a speed skill anyway (in fact, should be worse, since they wouldn’t require sacificing a priceless utility slot), but would be a lot of fun with all the snare/pull/knockdown skills used by mobs. Like in Orr. Especially in Orr.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Incoming Mounts??

InvalidID.9843

Mounts would most likely mess up the economy as well. Since mounts would mean less people using waypoints, which means players having more money, which means price increases in the TP. So if you support the idea of mounts coming you GW2, you support inflation in the TP.

Don’t support inflation in the TP… :L

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Mounts would most likely mess up the economy as well. Since mounts would mean less people using waypoints, which means players having more money, which means price increases in the TP. So if you support the idea of mounts coming you GW2, you support inflation in the TP.

If they are on a mount, they are not fighting. They may be losing money having to travel across more then one zone on a mount. And they may play a few events as they travel through lower level zones.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

No Unicorns.. But they dont said nothing about multicorns..:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Hantu.2815

Hantu.2815

Unless you need to use some mount food or have a mount rental fee. If anything they could be used as a money drain (Grenth knows we need one) with a high initial cost of purchase or a gem price.

I honestly do not understand why the mention of mounts generates so much rage. Seems like half of the people want them and half do not. That’s fine, why all the rage? If they do not break the game and some kind of usage fee keeps the economy as it is, I do not see why not.

If the mounts are cosmetic only, do not create unit collision, have some kind of cost to use and are not allowed in any PvP, I do not see why not. People who dislike them, will not use them and be happy. People who do like them will use them and be happy.

(edited by Hantu.2815)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

I like mounts for the same reason i like legendary weapons.. they look good(mostly) its another thing to add to my person beyond armor, weapons, minis and town clothes(yeah … that’s a lot of stuff already) I could care less if they actually did anything for me… and I would buy gems.. with all my gold… maybe money.. to get a flashy mount just like i did for town clothes… ( ._.)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

And who in those 10M WoW players hates mounts?

I thought that we had the good part of the community, well, I was wrong. We have the few guys who are allergic to everything that doesn’t fit in their canva.

It’s like a few real life debates going on right now-

(edited by Keiran.1896)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

And who in those 10M WoW players hates mounts?

I thought that we had the good part of the community, well, I was wrong. We have the few guys who are allergic to everything that doesn’t fit in their canva.

It’s like a few real life debates going on right now-

The 10M WoW players are not relevant. Please ask the 3M GW2 players.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

i’m against mounts as in the use of traveling faster ( my reason follow everybody else that’s against mounts that decreases travelling time). however having cosmetic mounts i’m totally for ( and almost need/beg for tbh)

mounts in GW2 should do the folowing:

• give haste to you during the time you are on the mount (not needed)
  • have a casting time to get up on the mount , say 3 seconds in order to remove any wvw abuse or even ban mounts from wvw if needed (i don’t need the mount for usefulness just for awesomeness of doom)
  • remove all endurance and all forms of endurance gain. while being on the mount.
  • disable all skills and profession skills.
  • if you get damaged in any form you dismount and get knocked down for 1sec.

and in my opinion there already is a mount in the game, however this is a skill and doesn’t last forever. ( Halloween costume skill 3), it’s a flying broom that make you smile like a kitten

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

<—- one of the 3M who likes mounts :p. Honestly everytime someone uses the word “mount” half of the com is jumping up in allert. If there will be mounts one day I will be happy, if not it’s not a huge problem for me. I still don’t get the hatred towards a vanity item which does nothing really bad.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Chibii.3698

Chibii.3698

“account bound” Legendary weapons PLEASE!

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I dislike mounts personally because i think they take away from customisation. The mount becomes the only outlet, that’s a bit sad.

[img]http://images.mmosite.com/news/2009/06/12/wow/big/wlk_mount_500_09.jpg[/img] Here’s an example, it’s a very cool mount no doubt, but when i see this the character is 80% mount and 20% character, wich actually takes away from the entire visual customisation thing, cause it makes the mount super important and it makes 1 item tell people who you are, i’m not ok with that.

And before you go “then don’t use it”, how the hell will that matter, if i don’t use it i’ll stand out even less for being me. I want character customisation, no mounts, because for me personally they aren’t a part of this, they take away from it.

Before reacting think about it, in GW2 your character look is probally much more important to you then in a game like Wow (mounts excluded), i don’t want that to go away.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Incoming Mounts??

Gaudrath.6725

And please, enough with the “mounts decrease travel time” argument – what travel time! You literally can’t beat instant teleportation with anything! Travel time is as minimal as it can be already, mounts can’t even factor in it.

Maybe people think that if they ever put in mounts, for some reason they would take out teleportation, like you can’t have both…

~ Piken

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I never had this problem in any other game. I am someone who is really much into finding great Skins and other stuff and not only here. And I never felt like my char was becoming less important by using a mount.

In fact the mount was rather something like an accessory which had to match with my clothes and weapons etc.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Incoming Mounts??

Gaudrath.6725

I dislike mounts personally because i think they take away from customisation. The mount becomes the only outlet, that’s a bit sad.

[img]http://images.mmosite.com/news/2009/06/12/wow/big/wlk_mount_500_09.jpg[/img] Here’s an example, it’s a very cool mount no doubt, but when i see this the character is 80% mount and 20% character, wich actually takes away from the entire visual customisation thing, cause it makes the mount super important and it makes 1 item tell people who you are, i’m not ok with that.

And before you go “then don’t use it”, how the hell will that matter, if i don’t use it i’ll stand out even less for being me. I want character customisation, no mounts, because for me personally they aren’t a part of this, they take away from it.

Before reacting think about it, in GW2 your character look is probally much more important to you then in a game like Wow (mounts excluded), i don’t want that to go away.

Sorry, never felt that way. A cool character can only look cooler if riding a cool mount. It doesn’t have to be an elephant. A simple horse, or just an armor plated battle bear for my Norn would suffice. :p

~ Piken

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Psybunny.8906

Psybunny.8906

GW2 can’t have mounts, because fat charr’s are fat and there’s no beast in Tyria that could hold their weight. However, I totally support being able to ride fellow a charr/big norn players to battle.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

I don’t want mounts. Please please please NEVER put them in this game. Thank you.

As I recall, they said there would never be mounts, ESPECIALLY not flying ones.

You are correct on this. They pretty much outright have been saying since the beginning there’d be no mounts in the game.

Also @that pic with Rytlock riding a unicorn. I lol’d lol

They’ve only ever said that there wouldn’t be mounts at launch. ArenaNet rarely ever rules anything out, and I imagine they’ll implement mounts if they want to and can find a way to do it that they’re happy with. Just throwing a bunch of stuff to ride in the game and calling it a day isn’t their style.

Personally, i see no problem with mounts. They wouldn’t be faster than using a speed skill anyway (in fact, should be worse, since they wouldn’t require sacificing a priceless utility slot), but would be a lot of fun with all the snare/pull/knockdown skills used by mobs. Like in Orr. Especially in Orr.

I think having them move at 25% would be perfect, actually. It would make them a little bit convenient, because you wouldn’t have to use up a skill slot, but not so incredibly useful that they’d feel mandatory. And it’s a speed increase that’s already in the game, and can be used for travel as a permanent buff as long as it’s slotted, so the impact on gameplay would be non-existent.

(edited by Bonefield.9813)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Sorry, never felt that way. A cool character can only look cooler if riding a cool mount. It doesn’t have to be an elephant. A simple horse, or just an armor plated battle bear for my Norn would suffice. :p

That’s why i’m saying for me personally, i understand that some people want this, but saying there is nothing of a reasonable argument on the side that doesn’t want them is kinda stupid. People have different opinions about this topic, it’s time we respect all these opinions, and not just demand things without discussion.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Who hasn’t seen that old Frazetta painting of a warrior in a polar bear-drawn chariot? Wouldn’t it be cool if your Norn could cruise around the Shiverpeaks in a polar-bear drawn chariot?

The table is a fable.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Make mounts work a bit like siege golens.

they have (maximun) +25% movement speed, replace the skills of the player (new skills based on mount type and class/wep, like the snowball-pvp weps), can be killed and used by other players when left around (owner can take others out of it and use again, like siege weps). Would give a nice variation to everyone, but not be “needed” as transport or anything. (Waypoints still the fastest way to get around). They should be also hard to turn around, making it bad for interiors.

And keep vanity mounts ( SB-fancy stuff) as city-clothing as they are now.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

The only reason that would agree with the mounts in GW2 is that they have the same speed of movement that your character has at some point. e.g.

Normal speed of a character = 1
Speed of a mounted character = 1

Speed of a character in combat = 0.5
Speed of a mounted character in combat = 0.5
(with a percentage of losing the mount when it is beaten)

Speed of a character, with blessing of speed = 1.33
Speed of a mounted character, with blessing of speed = 1.33
(the duration of the blessing is the same in both cases)

The problem would be to design the mounts for each race.

(edited by Lukhas.1962)

Incoming Mounts??

Gaudrath.6725

Well, not really.

Golems for Asura.
Plant horses for Sylvari.
Battle bears for Norn (cause we’re so awesome and just be glad I’m not suggesting battle bears with lasers attached to their heads)
Charrcycles for Charr.

Humans can walk.

~ Piken

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Hantu.2815

Hantu.2815

The only reason that would agree with the mounts in GW2 is that they have the same speed of movement that your character has at some point. e.g.

Normal speed of a character = 1
Speed of a mounted character = 1

Speed of a character in combat = 0.5
Speed of a mounted character in combat = 0.5
(with a percentage of losing the mount when it is beaten)

Speed of a character, with blessing of speed = 1.33
Speed of a mounted character, with blessing of speed = 1.33
(the duration of the blessing is the same in both cases)

Humans could ride on enslaved centaurs or doyaks

Sylvary could ride their plant dogs

Charr can ride some kind of a mini tank or a big litter box looking thing

Norn will obviously ride bears

Asura will ride a golem (much like a siege golem)

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Battle bears for Norn (cause we’re so awesome and just be glad I’m not suggesting battle bears with lasers attached to their heads)

Oh attaching lasers to a bear is cool, but attaching one to a blimp is not?

Also: Underwater mounts (= sharks and Quaggan)

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Incoming Mounts??

Gaudrath.6725

Oh attaching lasers to a bear is cool, but attaching one to a blimp is not?

Also: Underwater mounts (= sharks and Quaggan)

It would be cool only if you could straddle said blimp and drive it straight down Zhaitan’s gullet yelling “YEEEEEEEHHHAAAAWWWWW!” the whole time.

~ Piken

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

The 10M WoW players are not relevant. Please ask the 3M GW2 players.

Yea, and ask the 2.9M casuals. I’m sure they have nothing against mounts.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

I’ll support mounts as long as they only have 1hp, and killing the mount also kills the player. Then it’s a win win, all the mount people get to look cool riding around their unicorns and I get to accelerate my WvW kill count.

Incoming Mounts??

Posted by: Bradesco.9621

Bradesco.9621

I wish I could ride, just a simple horse, would be a bit less painfull walking along this massive world….