Increase of grind. Lack of new content.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I started since head start of the game.
I used to log on every day to do the dailies.
I used to care about getting every achievement point I could.
I’ve obtained the commander feature.
I’ve hit 80 on eight characters.
I’ve crafted 5 ascended weapons for my main.
I’ve crafted a legendary for my main.
I’ve reached the top 700 in achievement points.

Then the fractal revamp hit. Then come the ascended armors.

Now I’ve stopped caring. I’m losing interest.

Because I do not want to even think of farming for different tiers of cloth from mobs for ascended armors. Because I no longer want to repeat content I’ve done a thousand times before for an insignificant reward.

This has become a Korean grinder. I’m now struggling to log in.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Question: Why not log in for the content you enjoy?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So because of the fact that they revamped Fractals and added Ascended Armor (which had been known for a YEAR before it actually came btw) you can no longer enjoy the content you enjoyed before?

Are you sure you really enjoyed the content before then? Because none of that content have been changed in the slightest with any of those releases (unless you only wanted to do fractals, but they haven’t really seen much change either (other than adding some extra challenge)).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Azure Prower.8701

So because of the fact that they revamped Fractals and added Ascended Armor (which had been known for a YEAR before it actually came btw) you can no longer enjoy the content you enjoyed before?

Are you sure you really enjoyed the content before then? Because none of that content have been changed in the slightest with any of those releases (unless you only wanted to do fractals, but they haven’t really seen much change either (other than adding some extra challenge)).

The old content is stale. The new content is just the old content slapped on with some stale paint.

lordkrall.7241

So why could you enjoy it for a over a year, but suddenly can’t due to Fractals and/or Ascended Armor?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

TheDaiBish.9735

The old content is stale. The new content is just the old content slapped on with some stale paint.

So what would you define as new content?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

If it looks like burn out and smells like burn out…

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The poster has been crying the same tune for a very, very long time. As they say stopped caring.

Azure Prower.8701

So why could you enjoy it for a over a year, but suddenly can’t due to Fractals and/or Ascended Armor?

Because the grind for best in slot has become too excessive and tedious.

Azure Prower.8701

The entirety of Crystal Desert.

Meaningful upgrades and purpose to WvW.

TheDaiBish.9735

Other than setting, what would be new about the Crystal Desert?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Azure Prower.8701

A new place to explore.

lordkrall.7241

And also completely unnecessary, seeing as now when everything is out the difference is way too minor to change the outcome of 99% of the fights.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

TheDaiBish.9735

A new place to explore.

You got exploration now (unless you have 100% map completion, all jumping puzzles and mini-dungeons done ect). The only thing different would be the setting.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Azure Prower.8701

And also completely unnecessary, seeing as now when everything is out the difference is way too minor to change the outcome of 99% of the fights.

Incorrect. Every stat matters. Do you like doing 10% less damage?

I can get by with being mute and not communicating to my party members. Is that the optimal way to play? No.

Azure Prower.8701

A new place to explore.

You got exploration now (unless you have 100% map completion, all jumping puzzles and mini-dungeons done ect). The only thing different would be the setting.

Well , I’ve done every thing you mentioned (if the legendary didn’t give it away). So what now?

The only thing to look forward to is SAB. Which is only temporary and currently not available.

TheDaiBish.9735

Well , I’ve done every thing you mentioned. So what now?

It was more an example of how the Crystal Desert would be the same content as we have now, just with a different paint job.

The exact thing you’ve said you’ve grown tired of.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

A new place to explore.

And a coherent story/continuation of the main story, and it not being drip fed! You forgot to mention that.

Azure Prower.8701

Well , I’ve done every thing you mentioned. So what now?

It was more an example of how the Crystal Desert would be the same content as we have now, just with a different paint job.

Different paint job != stale paint job.

A new area is not just a re-release of old content with new achievement points and a poor rewards attached to it.

TheDaiBish.9735

So basically, if the Crystal Desert was exactly like, say, Frostgorge Sound, just in a different setting, it would be OK?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

lordkrall.7241

A new area is not just a re-release of old content with new achievement points and a poor rewards attached to it.

What content are you talking about being “re-release”?

The majority of content we have seen this year haven’t really been “re-release” (funnily enough one of the things that were, was SAB, which you claim to like..).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Azure Prower.8701

So basically, if the Crystal Desert was exactly like, say, Frostgorge Sound, just in a different setting, it would be OK?

With uniquely designed jumping puzzles, other puzzle gimmicks, lore and encounters reminiscent of the Crystal Desert from Guild Wars 1. Sure.

Azure Prower.8701

What content are you talking about being “re-release”?

The majority of content we have seen this year haven’t really been “re-release” (funnily enough one of the things that were, was SAB, which you claim to like..).

SAB had an entirely new world added to it that was twice (if not thrice) as long as the original world it released with. Not to mention an updated hub and story. New game mechanics. New (non-cash shop) weapons. Hardly a re-release.

You want perfect re-release example?

Tequatl.

The majority of the Fractals update.

Wintersday (Granted this one is a seasonal thing. But daaaamn at the lack of changes).

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

It’s not necessarily burn out, just boredom from doing the same old stuff over and over and over.

I had the same problem in WoW recently, got to the point where all I was doing was grinding for better gear.

And before some bright spark says do what you find interesting. You are forced by the game to jump on the gear grinding tread mill just so that your character can stay competitive.

If two people are level 80 both have the same class and exactly the same skills at using the character but one has full exotics and the other ascended and legendary gear. Who would win in a one to one fight?

Now I don’t know how different the stats are in this game, but in WoW the one with the better gear would win. Which is why people are forced onto the gear grinding tread mill. Gear grinding is not fun, but what you do when not grinding can be which is why people put up with it until they realise the pointlessness of it all.

lordkrall.7241

The new Tequatl is nothing like the old one, so calling it a re-release is quite silly.

You are also ignoring that the three things you posted are but a small minority of what have actually been released during the year.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

TheDaiBish.9735

With uniquely designed jumping puzzles, other puzzle gimmicks, lore and encounters reminiscent of the Crystal Desert from Guild Wars 1. Sure.

And now you’re getting somewhere on the constructive front.

How would the jumping puzzles be ‘uniquely’ designed? How would the encounters from GW1 be worked into GW2? How would the lore be presented?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Azure Prower.8701

How would the jumping puzzles be ‘uniquely’ designed? How would the encounters from GW1 be worked into GW2? How would the lore be presented?

Any thing that is not a re-skin as you were referring to.
The remains of Glint’s cave. The city of where the doppelganger was fought. The light puzzle transport gates. See how they stood the sands of time.

But if you’re referring to story lore. Lol. It’ll probably be bad as always. No one is really expecting much out of the story aspect of Guild Wars 2 any more. Trehearne and Scarlet saw to that.

TheDaiBish.9735

Any thing that is not a re-skin as you were referring to.
The remains of Glint’s cave. The city of where the doppelganger was fought. See how they stood the sands of time.

But if you’re referring to story lore. Lol. It’ll probably be bad as always. No one is really expecting much out of the story aspect of Guild Wars 2 any more. Trehearne and Scarlet saw to that.

Putting aside the fact I think they used Scarlett and not established lore as a good thing, the Crystal Desert has lore left, mainly the spear made from Kralky’s spine, and Glint’s child. These could be addressed.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

If only this game was free of subscription fee and I could just stop playing it when it ceases to entertain me and pick up where I left off when new interest arises.

Oh wait….

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

I totally agree with Azure Power. Current “new” content has just been something like this, “Let’s swap from left to right and turn it upside down! Now we can call it new content even though its still the same old!”.

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Azure, you are what GW2 needs, but not right now. You need two weeks of no gaming. Come back and do the stuff you enjoy the most first. You can be ultra-competitive if your head is clear enough to see what you want to be competitive in. You have to choose what that is and become the best at it. And then, once you made up your mind, you have to start to ignore the clutter (be it achievement points, skins etc). Try it, it’s worth a shot. I figure you’d be good at PvP, but I’m curious to see what you’ll choose.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s not necessarily burn out, just boredom from doing the same old stuff over and over and over.

I had the same problem in WoW recently, got to the point where all I was doing was grinding for better gear.

And before some bright spark says do what you find interesting. You are forced by the game to jump on the gear grinding tread mill just so that your character can stay competitive.

If two people are level 80 both have the same class and exactly the same skills at using the character but one has full exotics and the other ascended and legendary gear. Who would win in a one to one fight?

Now I don’t know how different the stats are in this game, but in WoW the one with the better gear would win. Which is why people are forced onto the gear grinding tread mill. Gear grinding is not fun, but what you do when not grinding can be which is why people put up with it until they realise the pointlessness of it all.

Looking at his list it looks more like burn out.

And if players want to have the best gear so they can hit other players then that’s their business (plus it makes sense). They can take the way the game is put in front of them or leave it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

This is pretty funny to read

OP ask for a new expansion I guess, just like many others do.
What they are forgetting is that when an expasion has been released there will be new content for a week and after that there will be complaining about too little content. There will be new bugs, new maps to spread out the population on hence will lead to even more comments like ‘Is GW2 dead, I see no other players’.

I have also been playing since the headstart but I have actually taken a few breaks already (Just a week break) and when I get back I just love the game.
Some players play the game to be best and some enjoy the game and when you have done everything why is it so hard for you to accept it that you are done for now? Take a break and come back later.

Usually this game has an update every two weeks so come back in February and there will maby be some new content you can enjoy. As Taku says, it’s not like this game has any subs.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

That’s what burnout is. like, it’s the literal definition.

…and it’s natural, you don’t have to emotionally turn on the game because of it, just stop playing for a while and come back when they add the new stuff you’re interested in or if you just miss the game play.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I hate ascendeds. They require too much grind to achieve, especially for a full set of armor. And the grind trivializes build variety. Anyone with ascended armor will feel pigeonholed into running only the builds their new armor supports.

However…

I’m not going to stop playing. I still like the content. I’ve resolved myself to never owning ascended gear and I’m ok with that. I can still do dungeons, fractals, and WvW with exotics. I’m disappointed they implemented it as they did, but the rest of the game remains.

As for fractals, they simply made the most challenging content a bit more challenging. Nothing wrong with that. The level reset isn’t a big deal either since the new levels don’t reflect the old levels, hence previous rankings are now meaningless.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Azure, you are what GW2 needs, but not right now. You need two weeks of no gaming. Come back and do the stuff you enjoy the most first. You can be ultra-competitive if your head is clear enough to see what you want to be competitive in. You have to choose what that is and become the best at it. And then, once you made up your mind, you have to start to ignore the clutter (be it achievement points, skins etc). Try it, it’s worth a shot. I figure you’d be good at PvP, but I’m curious to see what you’ll choose.

I’ve tried becoming “Expert Level” in WvWvW small scale, but in the end… it doesn’t work because WvWvW is broken as hell, though me and my mates were all well above normal levels of PvP skill. The fact that people who decide to get a blob of 30 can just flip everything in 2 minutes is a huge letdown, aswell as the fact that they have:
- superior movement over small scale
- no problems with aoe cap
- downed state and mass-rez

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

That’s what burnout is. like, it’s the literal definition.

…and it’s natural, you don’t have to emotionally turn on the game because of it, just stop playing for a while and come back when they add the new stuff you’re interested in or if you just miss the game play.

Alternatively you can attempt to find different ways to enjoy the gameplay.
A few examples would be:
-Try RPing
-PVP with a build that has synergy but is totally our of the norm just for fun.
-Grab some friends and play made up games such as hide and seek, wacky races, or tag in a custom pvp arena
-See how far you can level a character with special self set conditions (no deaths, only white gear, only certain skills, etc.)
-Host some sort of free raffle or game for players on your server or on the forums

Its physically impossible for them to development content at a rate to keep everyone perpetually entertained. It takes well over 100 man hours, which can’t all be simultaneously, to make roughly an hour of relatively bug free entertainment for the average speed player.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Its physically impossible for them to development content at a rate to keep everyone perpetually entertained. It takes well over 100 man hours, which can’t all be simultaneously, to make roughly an hour of relatively bug free entertainment for the average speed player.

Funny how GW1 never had that much of an issue. I was perpetually entertained in that game.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Azure Prower.8701

I think people are missing the point how ever. That being the sore lack of content lately and the massive increase in grind. The grind is so bad now. You have to ask what is the point of it any more?

You say do some thing you enjoy playing. But how many times can do you do that some thing with out variety until you despise doing that after the thousandth time? The game is limiting what you can do and what you can enjoy in game by tagging on grind after grind.

Also @ gaspara: I stopped playing pretend a long time ago. There are also better online games out there to play pretend in.

Posted by: Jongi.7612

Jongi.7612

Teq isnt a rework? HA dont make me laugh, its a rework and it is a terrible rework at that.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

Its physically impossible for them to development content at a rate to keep everyone perpetually entertained.

of course it’s hard to publish new content every few weeks.
they should have thought it before boasting about they could overcome grinding and treadmill in a single hit.
everybody knows that the easy way is to apply just minor patches and put new stats to new items. they knew it and sold it to people who believed in the scream of no grind.

burnout? maybe it is it.
but i think here is not (only) the problem that people are simply bored from endgame.
it’s the opposite, at least for me: i used to play eagerly gw2. i like living story.
i’d better like minor changes in longer times to little things like city clothes and map little changes… than a brand new ascended equip tier.

(edited by Kevan.8912)

Posted by: Neverathome.8349

Neverathome.8349

I agree with you op,I am also burned out, bored, been there done that…

But give a-net some time,let em finish the scarlet stuff(lw)

Then i hope an expansian will hit containing new stuff

-new zones
-new dungeon’s
-new skill’s
-new weapen’s
-new race
-new jumping puzzles
-new lore
-new worldboss
-new fractals

all off that can be done in a lvl 80 to 90 experience in new zones so that the ascended folk’s stop whining about how hard it is (time consuming) to get that gear,In the expansian it will drop from mob’s,reward from dungeon’s token’s ,fractals,worldboss,ect…

the thing is if ya release all this now they will be kitten ed off because of how much time they invested now atm to get that gear and in the expansian it will drop from mobs ect…

I am in the same boat as you i have done everything, i have a legendary(the juggernaut)done all the dungeon’s jumpingpuzzles ect..

the only thing i sometimes log in for now is wvw but hitting door’s all the time, after a while it get’s boring too.

I am checking out RSI atm :-)

Kind regard’s and a happy newyear ya all

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think people are missing the point how ever. That being the sore lack of content lately and the massive increase in grind. The grind is so bad now. You have to ask what is the point of it any more?

You say do some thing you enjoy playing. But how many times can do you do that some thing with out variety until you despise doing that after the thousandth time? The game is limiting what you can do and what you can enjoy in game by tagging on grind after grind.

Where did the grind get tagged onto so you don’t enjoy anything? So far a lot of the stuff I enjoyed is more or less still fun. Well, except for SAB but that’s because it seemed they floored the accelerator on difficulty in World 2. (Which, interestingly, is close to how old games with this retro feel were back in the day. One steep step up in difficulty after another. Except for Ghosts and Goblins. Screw you, Capcom. Screw. You.)

Anyway, grind. Assuming you just ignore Ascended gear (and, if you’re not going to go delving into Fractals, why get it?) like most people on seeing the shopping list for one item . . . what exactly are you grinding for again?

Also @ gaspara: I stopped playing pretend a long time ago. There are also better online games out there to play pretend in.

I recommend Minecraft. Or Starbound.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

You never played a korean grinder
You never played GW1
Thanks for letting us know that you quit the game

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Azure Prower.8701

You never played a korean grinder
You never played GW1

Actually yes I have. Your logic is flawed.

Posted by: BlackGuard.9602

BlackGuard.9602

I totally agree with you,becouse I had same problem with the game as did you.I lvl up all 8 professions,did all the dungeons,solo lupicus,WvW,PVP,got legendary but for me game started to fall apart when they added laurels.I am not doing dailys only dungeons and WvW,I rarely ended up with laurels so I started to force my self to do dailys so I can get ascended amulets.It got even worse with with trinkets,becouse I am EU player on NA server so I am off usualy when guild is doing missions.But as it always happens it got even worse when they added weapons only by crafting,the thing is I never crafted anything till that point becouse I did not find it fun or intresting.Now I had 1 more chore to do and becouse crafting is expensive I had to start farming gold.That is when I saw the cruel reality of “reward system” in GW2.All time I spent playing the game(dungeons,WvW) was far less rewarded then farming and later champion farming.All the karma I had,all the tokens I had were worthless,like all the time I spent in dungeons was inferior playtime to the one of gold farmer O_o.I then realized that in order to gear my toons with full ascended I will have to play segments of the game I dont like at all.Game which claimed to be based on horizontal progression now has more vertical then horizontal progression which is realy sad.For that I blame the living story which functioned more like a chore and grind then new content.Think about if we got few new dungeons and old dungeons redesign,new WvW maps and features,world events evolution,I would prefer that over living story anyday.Problem is lack of vision or just general lazyness,if they for example added a hard mod to the game it could alow a new progression inside a tier of gear we had already and options for that type of progression combined with expansion in trait system could offer all the progression people could ever desire,without forcing on particular segment of the game like PVE gold farm.I play Neverwinter now but I still hope GW2 will get better.I played GW1 for long time and to see how GW2 is doing now is realy sad.

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

I find these threads laughable. I’ve been playing the game for over 2 months and have spent at most 2 hours in that time grinding anything (a few champions for a monthly). Still have a ton of stuff to explore and do and expect there’s plenty to keep me busy for at least a year, not counting new stuff that gets added.

Grinding is self-imposed. It’s always the people obsessed with optional gear who then convince themselves that grinding that gear is mandatory and then complain that the game is grindy.

Also, sometimes people just outgrow a game and need to go play a different one.

(edited by Qaelyn.7612)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I find these threads laughable. I’ve been playing the game for over 2 months and have spent at most 2 hours in that time grinding anything (a few champions for a monthly). Still have a ton of stuff to explore and do and expect there’s plenty to keep me busy for at least a year, not counting new stuff that gets added.

Grinding is self-imposed. It’s always the people obsessed with optional gear who then convince themselves that grinding that gear is mandatory and then complain that the game is grindy.

Also, sometimes people just outgrow a game and need to go play a different one.

The fact that you’ve only been playing the game for 2 months makes it reasonable why you do not understand the OP. I suggest you read it again.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Wow Azure you lasted way longer than i did..

And i noticed your posts all have little Thumbs up and the people disagreeing with you do not, so take heart in a good percentage agree with you

Happy new Year..

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I started since head start of the game.
I used to log on every day to do the dailies.
I used to care about getting every achievement point I could.
I’ve obtained the commander feature.
I’ve hit 80 on eight characters.
I’ve crafted 5 ascended weapons for my main.
I’ve crafted a legendary for my main.
I’ve reached the top 700 in achievement points.

Then the fractal revamp hit. Then come the ascended armors.

Now I’ve stopped caring. I’m losing interest.

Because I do not want to even think of farming for different tiers of cloth from mobs for ascended armors. Because I no longer want to repeat content I’ve done a thousand times before for an insignificant reward.

I know what you mean because I feel the exact same way. I would love to log in but, I can’t. I know exactly what to expect from the moment I log in to the moment I log out.

Imagine knowing that you’ll be sitting through a 2 hour movie you’ve already seen a hundred times.

Even if I force myself to log in, I’ll probably log out very quickly.