Instant level 80 gem item?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ualgh.1832

ualgh.1832

As a WvWer, I would pay a hefty premium for access to a gem item like this. So sick of crafting the eight professions to 400 which will only net you 56 levels and costs a great deal of money and time. I don’t see the downside to it—once someone already has an 80 that he or she leveled normally, it would save so much effort just to buy an item and be able to hop in WvW ready to go.

There is a large WvW population that I’m sure would be happy to buy something like this. What do other people think?

follow me on IG @yung_anime

Posted by: Tecca.4036

Tecca.4036

Maybe if it was only available to those who have reached 80 once before, sure, but even then I’m skeptical of the idea. I’m not completely against it, just skeptical. It is somewhat appealing to me personally though.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Honestly I’m against it. Leveling up teaches you to play the class, even if it only teaches you one new trick for the class, it’s worth it.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Honestly I’m against it. Leveling up teaches you to play the class, even if it only teaches you one new trick for the class, it’s worth it.

What is wrong with learning at level 80, using youtube videos, watching other people play?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Daisho.9507

Daisho.9507

I think sPvP is the best way to learn how to play your class.
Anyway, it’s very fast to be lvl 80.

Kawaspresso – [icU] – Ring of Fire

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

As a WvWer, I would pay a hefty premium for access to a gem item like this. So sick of crafting the eight professions to 400 which will only net you 56 levels and costs a great deal of money and time. I don’t see the downside to it—once someone already has an 80 that he or she leveled normally, it would save so much effort just to buy an item and be able to hop in WvW ready to go.

There is a large WvW population that I’m sure would be happy to buy something like this. What do other people think?

The reason they dont introduce such a gem store item is mostly economical. As crafting is atm the fasted way to lvl, it keeps demand on lower tier mats high. IF that was not the case, alot of them would be at vendor value, giving new players a hard time, earning some gold from the stuff they loot.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

OH wow.
Now were asking for an instant level 80 item in PvE/WvW…

The game would fall apart real quick like an item like that…

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

The reason they dont introduce such a gem store item is mostly economical. As crafting is atm the fasted way to lvl, it keeps demand on lower tier mats high. IF that was not the case, alot of them would be at vendor value, giving new players a hard time, earning some gold from the stuff they loot.

You still need lower tier mats whenever you want to level a crafting profession to get to 509 for ascended. Most of the low level mats ATM are still very cheap. So I feel that the prices wouldn’t drop very much

Posted by: Cureless.4672

Cureless.4672

Your scaled up to 80 in WvW & You can gain levels in there?

(edited by Cureless.4672)

Posted by: Nexxius.6017

Nexxius.6017

Removing archaic leveling systems from mmos would be more fun

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

This. I got my last two chars to 80 in <30h each, and PvP is a good spot to figure out what to do.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

I would accept an item like this if it had conditions like this;

At least 3-4 characters already at level 80
100% map completion on at least one character
maybe some WvW rank, like 20-30

and have it cost something like 2400-3200 gems minimum.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I’m not against a gemstore 80-up item, but only as soon as you got at least 1 character to 80.

I’m also in favour of more options to buy Tomes of Knowledge – like with skillpoints and karma.

You were and will be able to grind Tomes of Knowledge in PvP, you could farm them during LS events in LA with another character, you can sink gold into crafting – so why not let people buy it straight away from the gemstore with real money or the same gold if they already know how to play the game? You simply read forums, choose a build, buy lvl 80 exotics – and then go out in PvE and learn the profession in a couple of hours through content you enjoy.

• screw people who invested all their time in their main
  • you make it sound like doing hearts is something challenging
20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

What’s the point of playing if you want an instant “I win” button?

Sure, you’d have to gear and such after that, but it’s really not difficult to gear up at 80, and if you’re going to use gems to progress anyway, you could easily get the gold to gear up with no in-game effort at all.

I can also foresee a lot of drama when fresh store-bought level 80s ruin parties by having no clue how to play their class. Might not be as common for people who already have 80s and leveled them the hard way, but there’s still a learning curve for any class you haven’t played. Save for warriors…because warriors.

Honestly, any place where level matters, the game scales you up to 80, and you still gain exp and levels while being upleveled, so I really don’t see the point.

Do not want.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Anet want you to re-experience the game with every new character, unless it is an item you can buy as long as you have 3-4 level 80 characters, sounds too un-rewarding. A big junk of the game was and still is about building new characters, combining races with classes and enjoying those experiences. With such an item, the joy of that will get reduced. Some people will say those want to have fun can do it. We will buy. Well, since when did people accept playing for fun while others get it instantly?

Wether this or that, the decision to do it will bring major riots to the forums, because issues in the community never needed a bad system, these just need a catchy title and the drama can start.

Lishtenbird.2814

If you buy an F1 car, do you win the races?

A level 80 is an instrument to play and enjoy – and win – content. Nothing more than it. By getting to level 80 you win nothing – it’s not something challenging to begin with, it’s simply time consuming. And by leveling to level 80 while not enjoying it, you actually lose.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Or we can use the gw1 system where you create a character who’s sole purpose is pvp. They dont gain loot, they cant harvest, they dont gain levels, and the only thing they can gain is wvw exp/ranks. Oh, and you cant leave wvw with this character.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is incredibly easy to get to 80 even just playing slowly through the game. When you add in crafting and boosters and even those tomes of knowledge it is nothing. You pvp so you are 80 all the time, can’t see the need to get to 80 quicker when you are already at 80.

blakdoxa.7520

If you buy an F1 car, do you win the races?

A level 80 is an instrument to play and enjoy – and win – content. Nothing more than it. By getting to level 80 you win nothing – it’s not something challenging to begin with, it’s simply time consuming. And by leveling to level 80 while not enjoying it, you actually lose.

If there’s no point in having levels, then what’s going to drive or motivate people to progress their character? The fact that there were high level items you could only obtain once you got there was drive enough for people to get to 80 through the various means available to us for FREE (or box price, whatever).

I can understand the pain of playing an underleveled and overall less effective character in WvW and sometimes wish it went faster, but by no means is getting to level 80 instantly the right way to go about it.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

as a wwwer you should know that you can get most of the prominent builds gear from badges.
scaling gear is bad…

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I’ve leveled to 80.. an elementalist, ranger, necromancer, warrior, another necromancer, and just recently a guardian and that was hard to push. I’ve gotten an engineer to 54, mesmer to like 34, another guardian to like 35.

At this point I’m sick and tired of leveling, most of us cheat and just do tradeskills, or use the books to get to 20 and then extra levels, or do wvw upleveled anyways. I don’t need to go through 80 levels again to learn a class, the first 80 levels was essentially used to learn the game. I only need my class at 80 so I can gear up and play in wvw properly. Some of you forget you can already be level 80 in spvp from day one of the class so already skipping the supposed 80 levels to learn the class.

I would welcome an instant level 80 gem, make it available after getting 2 or 3 characters at 80 if you need to. Right now I have no motivation to level anything else just too boring and painful.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

blakdoxa.7520

I’ve leveled to 80.. an elementalist, ranger, necromancer, warrior, another necromancer, and just recently a guardian and that was hard to push. I’ve gotten an engineer to 54, mesmer to like 34, another guardian to like 35.

At this point I’m sick and tired of leveling, most of us cheat and just do tradeskills, or use the books to get to 20 and then extra levels, or do wvw upleveled anyways. I don’t need to go through 80 levels again to learn a class, the first 80 levels was essentially used to learn the game. I only need my class at 80 so I can gear up and play in wvw properly. Some of you forget you can already be level 80 in spvp from day one of the class so already skipping the supposed 80 levels to learn the class.

I would welcome an instant level 80 gem, make it available after getting 2 or 3 characters at 80 if you need to. Right now I have no motivation to level anything else just too boring and painful.

Sigh. This is where Anet went wrong with raising the level cap to 80 from 20….

Don’t fix what isn’t broken… Still instant 80 gem shouldn’t be the way to go about this. You’d be asking yourself why change from 20 to 80 in the first place if this “path to 80” was being put in the store. “Leveling” is a pretty straight forward mechanic in rpgs with pretty simple ways to reach the cap.
Is time the issue? or is it that “I no longer enjoy the content required to reach cap.”

Is Anet doing something wrong in regards to the various ways to level?? It was always like this across all rpgs…

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

Whatever happened to: “PAY 2 WIN!? WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?”

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Since they’re already mass producing Tome of Knowledge, yeah sure I’m up for Instant lvl 80

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I would only go for it if they had some conditions such as:

1. Must already have at least 1 lvl 80
2. Completed the PS on at least 1 character
3. The character it is used on must be at least level 25 without the use of tomes.

And then it would have to be pretty expensive.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I have come to really hate leveling. I have five 80s so far and a lvl 28 ..which I just can’t bear to put much effort into anymore. They never should have raised the cap from 20 in the first place, or better yet, just do away with the lazy outdated concept. They really went overboard with the vertical progression in this “supposedly guild wars franchise” game and it’s a huge dis-incentive for having alts.

I barely even bother playing anything other than my main because I know I’ll never have them all ascended up. I’m not even sure I’ll manage it on my main. For those of us who don’t find precursors or run dungeons 24/7 ..it’s really ridiculously expensive. The prospect of going through 80 kitten more levels on another character and getting them “geared up” ..just makes me want to play something else (I have actually been on the EQ Landmark beta lately more than this).

Anyway, I DO think there should be something in-game to get an instant 80. They already have the one for an instant 20. Just do something like that, but for 80 instead. I do NOT think I’d be comfortable with having to buy it with gems though. Not that I feel it would be very p2w, (not like it would be without leveling scaling anyway). But just as a matter of principle ..I’m so sick of how vertical they made this game, and I get more sick of it with each new alt (something that worries me when they release new races. I know I’ll want to make one, but uhg! ..more leveling). But at the same time, I don’t want to have to pay more money to just “get to the point”. It should be something earnable through playing the game. If it’s in the gem store too, fine, but that shouldn’t be the only way. And to the person who said it should cost 2400-3200 gems ..that’s insane. 400-800 maybe.

I’m also sick of people saying things like “you need levels to progress / have a reason to play”. You know the BEST reason to play? Interesting CONTENT. If the story and activities are interesting enough, levels need not even enter the thought process. We all just want that “something next”. Doesn’t have to be the next level ding. Next anything that we are interested in. Next part of the story, gaining access to the next area, next ability, ect. You can gate content by story / events just as well as by level. One of these actually makes sense, the other is arbitrary and pointless. Guess which.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kartel.2561)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Sure, you’d have to gear and such after that, but it’s really not difficult to gear up at 80, and if you’re going to use gems to progress anyway, you could easily get the gold to gear up with no in-game effort at all.

I can also foresee a lot of drama when fresh store-bought level 80s ruin parties by having no clue how to play their class. Might not be as common for people who already have 80s and leveled them the hard way, but there’s still a learning curve for any class you haven’t played. Save for warriors…because warriors.

Honestly, any place where level matters, the game scales you up to 80, and you still gain exp and levels while being upleveled, so I really don’t see the point.

Do not want.

How do you win in gw2?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I would have no problem with a instant 80 gem on the condition:-

Already have 1 80th lvl character

It should also be very costly, like 4,000 gems.

I kinda see it as a way rich people can support GW2, really. Its very, very easy levelling a character fast to 80th lvl now if you already have a 80, with the instant lvl 20 consumable and 60 tomes of knowledge, which are fairly easy to come by in game now.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

That’s another thing ..“you need to go through levels to learn you class / store-bought 80 noobs will annoy everyone”. FALSE. What you need to learn your class is time and an interest in doing so. Someone without sufficient time or interest will never master their character at any level, and someone who does have the time and interest won’t avoid learning their class just because they have all possibilities available to them. “Knowing your class” is about the person, not the level.

I would not say I have “fully” learned any of my classes so far. I think I’m reasonably competent with them, but there’s always more I could nail down. In fact, I’d argue that you do the most “learning” after you have access to all your skills and traits, more so than with a more limited selection, much of which you won’t even be using in the long run. Many people make a new character for the sole purpose having having access to certain abilities. They already know what they want to build, and maybe they’ll find other things they’re interested in too. But what’s the benefit of forcing unfun drudgery on them?

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

What is wrong with learning at level 80, using youtube videos, watching other people play?

This.

I want to have all my skills and all my traits, so I can then really start playing that class. I want to be able to kit them out in armour asap..

Its simple, if you don’t like it, don;t buy the gem store item.

I’m sure anet could put a limit that a lv80 char has to buy the then account bound boost to lv80 scroll.

There’s only so many times you can repeat hearts/exploration/trait and skill lacking. It is extremely boring. Just let people who want the boost, get it. If you dont want it, dont get it.

People are still not learning to play the class til 80 anyway. (by doing crafting/ queens champs.).

Taygus.4571

I would accept an item like this if it had conditions like this;

maybe some WvW rank, like 20-30

and have it cost something like 2400-3200 gems minimum.

thats ridiculous.
NOBODY would get it then…..(because of the cost, who’s gonna spend a world transfer cost on a lv80 boost. in that case, crafting is cheaper ..=.=’

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I’m also in favour of more options to buy Tomes of Knowledge – like with skillpoints and karma.

This seems to be only sensible suggestion in this thread. I mean they’d have to be a hell of a lot of karma (maybe 100,000 each) but Tomes of Knowledge have a scarcity and now with Glory being gone and the LS being over they can’t be obtained except by luck via the Black Lion Chest. Experience Scrolls as well, although given on a character’s birthday, have no other means of acquisition. Just seems like these are two items newer players/veteran players making new characters would really like to get their hands on.

Leveling up to 80 shouldn’t be an instant experience, leveling should never be.

Lishtenbird.2814

I mean they’d have to be a hell of a lot of karma (maybe 100,000 each) but Tomes of Knowledge have a scarcity and now with Glory being gone and the LS being over they can’t be obtained except by luck via the Black Lion Chest. Experience Scrolls as well, although given on a character’s birthday, have no other means of acquisition. Just seems like these are two items newer players/veteran players making new characters would really like to get their hands on.

Tomes of Knowledge will be dropping at regular intervals in PvP after the patch.

And no, thank you but 10 tomes costing as much karma as a whole legendary makes no sense.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Wanze.8410

thats ridiculous.
NOBODY would get it then…..(because of the cost, who’s gonna spend a world transfer cost on a lv80 boost. in that case, crafting is cheaper ..=.=’

Crafting should always be cheaper than a gem store item, which is also 1 point why they wont do it. If the gem store item was cheaper than crafting, people would just buy gems with gold until the exchange rate would be so high, that it levels out.

Taygus.4571

thats ridiculous.

Crafting should always be cheaper than a gem store item, which is also 1 point why they wont do it. If the gem store item was cheaper than crafting, people would just buy gems with gold until the exchange rate would be so high, that it levels out.

if the “price than levels out”….what difference does it make?
and what of the people who use actual cash for gems? Why would they buy the item if it were cheaper to convert to gold and then craft? Having it cost more than a high pop world transfer is ridiculous.
600-1000 gems, more fair.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

This. I got my last two chars to 80 in <30h each, and PvP is a good spot to figure out what to do.

How? I just levelled my second character and it took me about 56 hours plus an instant level 20 scroll.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

People really don’t want to play the game, do they. They want everything spoon fed, Instant 80 gem, mounts, now I suppose they want A.Net to allow bot programs too.

Morsus.5106

World of Warcraft is now selling an item like that for $60. You get it for $40 though when you buy an expansion. Considering that it takes much less time to level in GW2, I think $20 would be a good asking price, but goes up 5% each time you buy it to try to prevent people from just buying all 8 classes. To keep people levelling normally, each level 80 alt reduces the price by 10% with a minimum of $20. (IE 2 normal 80s, you need to buy the gem 4 times before it goes up).

Wanze.8410

thats ridiculous.

if the “price than levels out”….what difference does it make?
and what of the people who use actual cash for gems? Why would they buy the item if it were cheaper to convert to gold and then craft? Having it cost more than a high pop world transfer is ridiculous.
600-1000 gems, more fair.

At that price, nobody would craft lvl anymore, making many lower and mid tier mats obsolete.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

World of Warcraft is now selling an item like that for $60. You get it for $40 though when you buy an expansion. Considering that it takes much less time to level in GW2, I think $20 would be a good asking price, but goes up 5% each time you buy it to try to prevent people from just buying all 8 classes. To keep people levelling normally, each level 80 alt reduces the price by 10% with a minimum of $20. (IE 2 normal 80s, you need to buy the gem 4 times before it goes up).

That is WoW -the kitten game. I would never want A.Net to follow in Blizzard’s footprints.

Also with the change in the way skills are added coming up, I think this is just an excuse for the people who don’t want these changes. With lvl scaling in the game, an instant 80 makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

i got quite a lot of chras (i fact each class at least once at 80)
currently working on my 3. guard

a gem shop item that would allow pushing a class that you already have on 80 would be nice

since u will know how to play your class (most likely)

and it would keep the twinks out of wvw

you get upscaled yes
but they still are a problem since they die much quicker than the average lvl 80
and the enemies rally on them…

Morsus.5106

That is WoW -the kitten game. I would never want A.Net to follow in Blizzard’s footprints.

Also with the change in the way skills are added coming up, I think this is just an excuse for the people who don’t want these changes. With lvl scaling in the game, an instant 80 makes no sense at all.

Well, instant 80 makes sense for me, a frequent dungeon runner. I’d prefer easier to get Tomes of Knowledge, because I can get behind farming for those lol. Actually, I’d be more likely to spend 1 gold on a free level than any money on an instant level 80.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Keep that pay-to-get-to-max-level cash shop kitten in World of Warcraft, a game with a box cost, subscription fee and features like this that costs even more than the game box and subscription itself.

Guild Wars 2 already got a lot of easy ways to reach max levels and is very forgiving with experience, no need for that World of Warcraft kitten.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Make it 800 Gems and you must have at least 3 other level 80 chars to buy it.

Morsus.5106

Keep that pay-to-get-to-max-level cash shop kitten in World of Warcraft, a game with a box cost, subscription fee and features like this that costs even more than the game box and subscription itself.

Guild Wars 2 already got a lot of easy ways to reach max levels and is very forgiving with experience, no need for that World of Warcraft kitten.

Except levelling is mind-numbingly boring. I spent about 50 hours levelling my Warrior and I’m happy it’s over. The first time through with my Guardian it was fun but I’m not sure I’d be willing to do that again.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

DING. You’re getting my love, sir.

Ten 80s and I’m seriously fed up with this boring leveling (contrary to leveling in GW1 which was awesome, smooth and didn’t feel restrictive), but I love customizing and toying with looks for different characters.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

put that gem into the store. Make it extremely expensive. Give every character that got to level 80 this way an indicator (saving other people from wild button mashing max level new players in dungeons and fractals).

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

No, sir, I don’t like it. I laughed long enough at WoW for introducing this. :P

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

blakdoxa.7520

What does gw2 becoming without leveling? Not an mmorpg, but an massive multiplayer online battle arena (moba aka LoL, IC, DOTA)?

Devona’s Rest

Morsus.5106

put that gem into the store. Make it extremely expensive. Give every character that got to level 80 this way an indicator (saving other people from wild button mashing max level new players in dungeons and fractals).

The icon should only be there for a small time or can be removed by running dungeons, doing events, etc. because after awhile that person will know more than someone who leveled normally.