Is anyone happy anymore?

Is anyone happy anymore?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

To put in perspective of how “very little” work minipets are, it also requires UI portraits, item codes, name translations, room to add into the UI.
They also need to remember to set certain flags, otherwise become buggy and can attack, die, etc. And they need to pick and choose which animations are allowable/disabled.
I have no idea whether whether the minipets are actually scaled down versions or whether they create a special low polygon version.
I’m sure I missed out other things, as well.

Sound like almost as much work as a new zone and a dungeon. I mean, none of that could possibly be automated.

“Very little”

Look my point stands. People come into these threads, with no real knowledge of the company, how it works, various challenges and they give management advice. It’s worth about as much in most cases as a newspaper horoscope.

I don’t think most forum posters, including myself, are qualified to tell someone how to run a business, or what they can afford or can’t afford.

If you think otherwise, that’s great. Someone in this thread seems to think Anet has all these millions of dollars that went into programming minipets instead of dungeons. I’m thinking that’s probably not quite how it works.

You can argue all the details you want, but I’m looking at the bigger picture here.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Oh yea, I’m happy. Just not with GW2.

Seems odd to me that all these unhappy people are playing a game that makes them unhappy. Really odd.

It doesn’t work like this.
I’m one of the unhappy players too, yet I keep playing Gw2. The ONLY actual reason are my friends. That’s it. I don’t log in in game unless if someone asks me to do some specific content with them. It’s not the game that brings people game. It’s the people that do that. And with more and more people unhappy they WILL start leaving and once they do, you’ll see a pretty bad chain reaction.

Wise words written there~

What’s wise about them exactly? If everyone is unhappy, as stated by some people, everyone will find a different game. Since everyone isn’t doing that, everyone is not unhappy.

It’s amazing how you’ll support a statement like this and call it wise simply because it supports your opinion. By polling the thread, it’s easy to see there are as many or more happy people as unhappy.

Based on Anet’s comments (in particular Allies’), polls are not representative of the majority of the player base, so you may save yourself the trouble of trying to poll anything. Ultimately, this applies to the very nature of the forums, which is supposedly filled by a minority of the player base, typically the whiny vocal section (if we base our judgement on the rhetoric deployed by the game’s apologists).

On a side note, it is rather curious how you still do not see in-game notifications of updates (or do you?), including a comprehensive list of changes (see d3 for reference), if forums are as unrepresentative as Anet seem to believe, and are only visited by a small minority, regardless of what is ultimately the case.
An in-game survey similar to those they had during betas, on the other hand, would be rather interesting to follow, don’t you think.

Lastly, why I believe his statement is wise, is because it holds VERY true – an online game, mmos in particular, is made by the people – your friends, in particular, but also your foes.
In order words, I can attest to the truth of ‘It’s not the game that brings people game. It’s the people that do that.’ from the personal experience as well as experience of people I came in contact with over the past years.
After all, you yourself stated in one of your PMs to me, how ‘[you] like the game, but [how you] couldn’t play the game solo.’ and how [Your] guild is a major factor in [your] liking the game.’

It does not mean people unhappy with the game will keep playing forever despite their general dissatisfaction. It just means they are likely to play a lot longer than otherwise, but as soon as one of said friends takes the first step, it will likely cause a chain reaction, and I could observe that process quite clearly in my own guild when a guildie returned to his previous game.

tl,dr: friends playing = more game longevity, even when the game itself is underperforming

p.s. Claiming ’It’s amazing how [I’d] support a statement like this and call it wise simply because it supports [my] opinion.’ is like saying it’s amazing how you’d disagree with my post simply because it doesn’t support your opinion.

p.s. n2 You’re shooting yourself in the foot by denouncing http://strawpoll.me/2442232/r meaningless as it was taken before the feature patch content was released. You do remember that releasing the notes triggered a forum uproar (e.g. SAB removal ‘protests’), don’t you.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

Oh yea, I’m happy. Just not with GW2.

Seems odd to me that all these unhappy people are playing a game that makes them unhappy. Really odd.

It doesn’t work like this.
I’m one of the unhappy players too, yet I keep playing Gw2. The ONLY actual reason are my friends. That’s it. I don’t log in in game unless if someone asks me to do some specific content with them. It’s not the game that brings people game. It’s the people that do that. And with more and more people unhappy they WILL start leaving and once they do, you’ll see a pretty bad chain reaction.

Wise words written there~

What’s wise about them exactly? If everyone is unhappy, as stated by some people, everyone will find a different game. Since everyone isn’t doing that, everyone is not unhappy.

It’s amazing how you’ll support a statement like this and call it wise simply because it supports your opinion. By polling the thread, it’s easy to see there are as many or more happy people as unhappy.

Sorry, but following Anet’s comments on polls (in particular Allies’), they are not representative of the majority of the player base, so you may save yourself the trouble of trying to poll anything. Ultimately, this applies to the very nature of the forums, which is supposedly filled by a minority of the player base, typically the whiny vocal section (if we judge them according to the rhetoric deployed by the game’s apologists).

On a side note, it is rather curious how you still do not have in-game notifications of updates, including a comprehensive list of changes (see d3 for reference), if forums are as unrepresentative as Anet seem to believe, and are only visited by a small minority, regardless of what is ultimately the case.

Lastly, why I believe his statement is wise, is because it holds VERY true – an online game, mmos in particular, is made by the people – your friends, in particular, but also your foes.
In order words, I can attest to the truth of ‘It’s not the game that brings people game. It’s the people that do that.’ from the personal experience as well as experience of people I came in contact with over the past years.
umad?

It does not mean people unhappy with the game will keep playing forever despite their general dissatisfaction. It just means they are likely to play a lot longer than otherwise, but as soon as one of said friends takes the first step, it will likely cause a chain reaction, and I could observe that process quite clearly in my own guild when a guildie returned to his previous game.

tl,dr: friends playing = more game longevity, even when the game itself is underperforming

Any idea of what percentage of people solo MMOs? Just curious.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Skipping 90% of the thread to simply answer the title question:

“Is anyone happy?”

Yes, I’m still happy (and I’m a GW1 vet, for those that claim we don’t play anymore). It’s true that I’m not happy with everything they do, but overall I’m still a happy, content customer. The game is a hobby, not my life, and I’m pretty adaptable in regards to a lot of things.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

To put in perspective of how “very little” work minipets are, it also requires UI portraits, item codes, name translations, room to add into the UI.
They also need to remember to set certain flags, otherwise become buggy and can attack, die, etc. And they need to pick and choose which animations are allowable/disabled.
I have no idea whether whether the minipets are actually scaled down versions or whether they create a special low polygon version.

Sound like almost as much work as a new zone and a dungeon. I mean, none of that could possibly be automated.

“Very little”

Look my point stands. People come into these threads, with no real knowledge of the company, how it works, various challenges and they give management advice. It’s worth about as much in most cases as a newspaper horoscope.

I don’t think most forum posters, including myself, are qualified to tell someone how to run a business, or what they can afford or can’t afford.

If you think otherwise, that’s great. Someone in this thread seems to think Anet has all these millions of dollars that went into programming minipets instead of dungeons. I’m thinking that’s probably not quite how it works.

You can argue all the details you want, but I’m looking at the bigger picture here.

My facts stands, more so than yours. You think they “just have to scale them.”
Wrong. Dead wrong. So wrong. It’s wrong.
I brought in facts.
“Very little” is so wrong.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

“Very little”

I brought in facts.

If you want to argue for a minor picking point, that’s absolutely fine by me. The rest of my argument as in the MEANING of it, still stands and nothing you’ve said changes it.

This guy thinks he knows how to manage an MMO company. He thinks he knows their financial situation and what they can and can’t do.

That you can’t say he’s wrong, but you can point to what I’ve said being wrong shows that you don’t really care about the truth. Only making a point.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

I purchased GW2 a couple of days after launch and I still play the absolute mess out of it. I have a great time and have thousands of hours invested in the game. As a general dollar to hours of fun ratio, this has probably been the biggest bang for my buck ever.

That’s not to say I don’t find some things a tad aggravating, but overall I’m still thrilled with GW2

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I’m fairly happy with the game.
I think some things should be more of a priority. I think some things shouldn’t be at all.
Overall though?
Yeah, I’m fairly content and can’t wait to see what comes next.

But as Tobias said up above…
“There are people who still delight in just . . . I can’t put it any other way than this: They want to run around and find people enjoying the game, and just push their unhappiness out in the form of “if you like this game, you’re not worth talking to” more often than not. It’s not in the things they say so much as the attitude which rolls off the posts.”

I’m sad I can only hit the +1 button enough on that…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Zinubis.9506

Zinubis.9506

I am happy with what I have experienced so far. They even take minor issues such as small localisation fixes seriously. I have experienced that myself with the meta-event text box of the Shatterer, for example.

If you (not anybody in particular) are unhappy about something, and can think of something to improve that, and if it is something that is visible in-game, use the bug report window, put yourself aside for a moment, think of how you can help someone doing their job in an objective way, and throw in a sincere “please”. It works. If it is a general concept that bothers you, we are all free to use the forums, of course. There are some great ideas in here, but sadly some of them are conveyed as if you were spitting in a murderer’s face.

Sometimes you get the feeling that these fantastic ideas are flat-out ignored. But as it says in the bug report window, they cannot answer posts individually. I still think they are trying to listen, to communicate (as much as they are allowed to), and to improve stuff. Maybe they failed to communicate a few times, maybe a few times too many for some, maybe they have already lost some of us on the way, but the forums are not populated by saints only, either.

I hope they listen and keep in mind some of the things that have been addressed in this thread.

Is anyone happy anymore?

BlueZone.4236

“Very little”

I brought in facts.

If you want to argue for a minor picking point, that’s absolutely fine by me. The rest of my argument as in the MEANING of it, still stands and nothing you’ve said changes it.

This guy thinks he knows how to manage an MMO company. He thinks he knows their financial situation and what they can and can’t do.

That you can’t say he’s wrong, but you can point to what I’ve said being wrong shows that you don’t really care about the truth. Only making a point.

Only by hurting your own argument by posting misinformation. I don’t people to be misled. Your fanbase will be grateful for the truth.
Minipets aren’t just scaled down and then, hey presto, minipets are done.
You’re welcome.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

“Very little”

I brought in facts.

Only by hurting your own argument by posting misinformation. I don’t people to be misled. Your fanbase will be grateful for the truth.
You’re welcome.

I maintain they’re sustantially easier than programming other types of content being asked for and probably they’re being created by different people. Or do you think the minipet designers are the guys that builds new zones?

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Im not happy with the game development direction. I haven’t been happy with it for quite some time now, yet I am passionate about the potential of the game that I feel Arenanet continues to squander. I still follow it via articles and forums in hope that one day they will make some changes that I would enjoy.

This is my opinion, however.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

Im not happy with the game development direction. I haven’t been happy with it for quite some time now, yet I am passionate about the potential of the game that I feel Arenanet continues to squander. I still follow it via articles and forums in hope that one day they will make some changes that I would enjoy.

you are not alone

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Do you know, I didn’t see Titanic for years, because I knew how it ended. The ship sunk.

What? Kitten! Spoilers! Just for that, Bruce Willis (nobody else read the rest of this sentence) was a dead people the whole time! So there.

Speaking of icebergs, are game forums are the tip of a metaphorical iceberg?

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Is anyone happy anymore?

BlueZone.4236

“Very little”

I brought in facts.

You’re welcome.

I maintain they’re sustantially easier than programming other types of content being asked for and probably they’re being created by different people. Or do you think the minipet designers are the guys that builds new zones?

Then you should have said so in the first place rather than posting incorrect information.
Unlikely there’s a minipet designer. You’d probably have the modeller, translators, programmer (depending how bad the UI code is), gem store manager and/or rewards game designer. Probably some others not mentioned as well.
Fact is there are a lot of people involved than “just scale it”. And that’s a fact.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

you are not alone

Obviously.

I mean, I keep the game installed, I log in to flag my account for LS updates just so I can run through the crummy story if I ever felt like it. I still keep a watchful eye. But then the new september feature patch is coming with a revamp to the new player experience and leveling, something that I thought was this game’s strength. Again, in my opinion, this is wasted development and money when things like “endgame” ,if you consider there to be an endgame in GW2, is where people believe the game suffers the most. Grind, zergy content, abandoned dungeon development and revamps, character progression post-80 via skills/etc, precursor scav hunt/crafting(where is it), etc etc. The list goes on and on for the potential updates that could be happening. Yet, someone in Arenanet thought that the new player experience needed work. I thought it was the best new player experience and leveling experience out of any MMO Ive ever played.

But again, thats just me. My opinion and I don’t expect certain folks to understand or agree with it. After another squandered patch, Im about ready to take the next step and uninstall the game until Arenanet pulls a 180 and returns to its roots and original intentions of the game. But that is unlikely to happen.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

So back to the topic at hand, if this thread is any indication, it seems like lots of people still are happy with this game. That should answer your question OP.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Tachenon.5270

It’s okay to admit you don’t know something.

I know my rangers would be happier if they could leave their pets at home. Or – hey! – warg into their pets like that know it all pictured below.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

So back to the topic at hand, if this thread is any indication, it seems like lots of people still are happy with this game. That should answer your question OP.

Conversely, I would say there are as many unhappy folks too. No way to tell, not even based on this thread.

So the question will most likely remain unanswered, OP. And since the game has no subscription numbers to report at quarterly meetings with investors, there is really no way to know the health of the game and its player concurrency.

Could be healthy and popular, could not be. Who knows.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Zardul.3952

Conversely, I would say there are as many unhappy folks too. No way to tell, not even based on this thread.

So the question will most likely remain unanswered, OP. And since the game has no subscription numbers to report at quarterly meetings with investors, there is really no way to know the health of the game and its player concurrency.

id place my money on its not, i am purely basing that on everyone i have met irl who has experienced the game and no longer play or regret playing. which for anyone who is interested, is everyone ive spoken to about this topic IRL

Is anyone happy anymore?

BlueZone.4236

If that is all you could come up with in your ‘retort’, I may rest my case.

p.s. You should read my post again, as I had edited it a couple of times for accuracy/style purposes.

Actually, Gaffney from Carbine studios(makers of Wildstar) said that 60 percent(or somewheres around there, cannot remember exact statistic) of MMO players spend most of their time in game as a solo player. Its a lot larger than most people think. Even if you are in a guild, a lot of folks’ playtimes are done solo. This does not go for everyone, however.

What’s also interesting is this (no idea how legitimate the stats are).

a solo player has a 65.3% likelihood of quitting vs. 34.8% for players in a small or medium-sized network

Apparently the retention is low for solo players.
I think it certainly makes sense with some people who are unhappy and still “playing” the game. The social network is what’s retaining them.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

p.s. You should read my post again, as I had edited it a couple of times for accuracy/style purposes.

Actually, Gaffney from Carbine studios(makers of Wildstar) said that 60 percent(or somewheres around there, cannot remember exact statistic) of MMO players spend most of their time in game as a solo player. Its a lot larger than most people think. Even if you are in a guild, a lot of folks’ playtimes are done solo. This does not go for everyone, however.

a solo player has a 65.3% likelihood of quitting vs. 34.8% for players in a small or medium-sized network

I think it certainly makes sense with some people who are unhappy and still “playing” the game. The social network is what’s retaining them.

Id probably agree with you. MMOs are designed to be played with other people.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

The title of the thread is Is ANYONE happy anymore? Not are some people happy and some not. The implication is that there are so many negative posts on the forums it seems like no one is happy.

It seems like more than half (maybe even well more than that) seem to be happy. Therefore the OP’s question is answered.

The percentages we’ll obviously never know, but this thread should at least show that the amount of negativity we’ve seen on the forums isn’t necessarily representative of the population at as whole. It might be, but you certainly couldn’t draw that conclusion from this thread.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

Considering my biased opinion, Id say more folks are unhappy with the game as well. Judging by the amount of unhappy posts that Ive seen in the last year on these forums, MMORPG.com, reddit, etc etc…theres just many people that dislike the game. There are also the very silent majority that are in game and enjoying that. I concede that fact. But there could also be a silent minority in the game that are playing the game but not enjoying it.

Id say the game has enough players to support the amount of development they do in order to carve out their little niché in the MMO community. I think that GW2 has definitely settled into a certain amount of players, whether it be 250k, 500k, or a million? Who knows. I do not think any MMO that releases today will see more than one or two million active players because of two reasons: #1 World of Warcraft sucking up much of the MMO playerbase(any given month, this is 7-9 million), and #2 there are SO many MMO choices and alternatives out there that spreads the MMO playerbase very thin. Combine these two factors, and each game is lucky to have a half mil to 1.5 mil.

With that said, if WoW ever closed up shop, Im really curious to see how things change for the rest of the games.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I’m still very happy with the game – as are many in my guild. There are things we would love to see done or added, but in the meantime, we are having fun.

On a related topic – am I happy with the forums? Not so much. The ridiculous infighting between the same small group of players (in almost every thread of significance) pretty much buries any legitimate feedback and makes informed discussion difficult.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

I’m still very happy with the game – as are many in my guild. There are things we would love to see done or added, but in the meantime, we are having fun.

On a related topic – am I happy with the forums? Not so much. The ridiculous infighting between the same small group of players (in almost every thread of significance) pretty much buries any legitimate feedback and makes informed discussion difficult.

Hai.

Well, until Arenanet either bans me completely from the forums(and thus the game Id imagine…), or figures out a way to keep inactive player accounts off of the forums, I am free to post my displeasure on the forums and express much concern over the future of this game.

By the way, it is only through folks that provide feedback, suggestions, harsh criticisms that anything ever gets done. Otherwise the fanboi populace will nod and agree that all is well with the game, and not much changes.

Be thankful there are people like me on the forums.

Now, when a particular someone chimes in on every post that I seem to make and spits out his usual banter of “well not everyone thinks the way you do…” for every single argument, and thus tries to convert me to fanboi-ism, thats where the infight starts.

I keep a skeptical and critical eye on the game and provide feedback from someone on the outside(currently not playing) looking in. I think this feedback is as valuable as someone that is playing and enjoying the game because my prespective is one of someone who WOULD come back if certain changes were made, and I bet my fat paycheck there are many of us in that boat.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

Hai.

Well, until Arenanet either bans me completely from the forums(and thus the game Id imagine…), or figures out a way to keep inactive player accounts off of the forums, I am free to post my displeasure on the forums and express much concern over the future of this game.

By the way, it is only through folks that provide feedback, suggestions, harsh criticisms that anything ever gets done. Otherwise the fanboi populace will nod and agree that all is well with the game, and not much changes.

Now, when a particular someone chimes in on every post that I seem to make and spits out his usual banter of “well not everyone thinks the way you do…” for every single argument, and thus tries to convert me to fanboi-ism, thats where the infight starts.

I keep a skeptical and critical eye on the game and provide feedback from someone on the outside(currently not playing) looking in. I think this feedback is as valuable as someone that is playing and enjoying the game because my prespective is one of someone who WOULD come back if certain changes were made, and I bet my fat paycheck there are many of us in that boat.

I assume you’re talking about me. I don’t comment on every post you make. Far from it. But just like you’ll call Anet out when you feel they’ve done something wrong, I’ll do the same with forum posters.

Forums are all about communication. If someone says, the game is dying with no actual proof, you’re kitten ed right I’ll call them out. But a lot of your posts are reasonable and I just move on.

If I’m answering a post, I’ve seen something in it I disagree with. I’m pretty sure that forums are here to discuss stuff. Not just let people say something you disagree with and not say anything.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

You really don’t need to know how a product is made to tell the company what the product is lacking and what improvements should be made. If it’s more for the same price, fine, make bigger bottles with 50% free extra. Not many people would be excited if your favorite beverage now had 2.3% more content or the same content and double the packaging.

Unless somebody says hire x and do y in z amount of time I don’t think you can see it as a critique of anet’s management.

Not arguing with you on users, me included, thinking they know development times. while they only thing we actually do is compare other games’ content with GW2, which doesn’t help all that much considering the game is built quite differently.

@op
While not being unhappy with the game itself I can see why so many hit some wall in the game but that has been the same for me with GW1.

Anet did say they’d be delivering expansion worth of content but what is accessible in the game at the moment is perhaps 1/4-1/8 of what people hoped for or expected, me included.

It is about uncertainty. Seems like there are plenty of posts claiming that Anet is working on something big behind the scenes but their policy of not telling anybody has made it increasingly difficult for players to be excited for future updates. The volume of content we saw might be standard for what to expect with this development model but it seems to be less than what many people deem to be possible.

It boils down to GW2 not being the holy grail of MMO while showing potential to become something much greater I think.

I’m not complaining too much though, the game is for free and looks beautiful.

For anybody who would like to play the game 5-6h+ a day, I don’t think there is enough to do.

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

How difficult new things are to implement is largely irrelevant. That’s entirely up to ArenaNet to kitten, and armchair developers sitting around on forums trying to guess at the workflow needed for this or that feature or content is just fodder for endlessly circling arguments.

“I’m not happy with GW2” is somewhat useful, “I’m happy with GW2” is marginally so, since both of these are already clearly communicated by your login patterns.

“This specific part of the game decreases my enjoyment,” is useful, as is “This specific part of the game is one of the most enjoyable things.” “I think I’d enjoy the game more with a specific thing added to it or changed about it” is also useful, as is “Your proposed addition or change would decrease my enjoyment.”

Speculating about how difficult a change would be to implement, though, is all on ArenNet’s side, and since they’ve clamped down on communication with the player base shortly after launch, we’re not going to be privy to what they think in that regard other than seeing it implemented or not.

A lot of pointless argument could be avoided if we could stick to discussing whether we think a certain thing would be more enjoyable or not, rather than making up information we don’t really have about how things would impact ArenaNet finances or manpower.

There’s really no need to appeal to objective authority here. Every player has an equal voice to express what they find entertaining or not about the game, and whether or not it will make them more or less inclined to play and, more importantly, spend money.

tl;dr As to the OP, I’m largely indifferent to the September patch. Over the course of my relationship with GW2, I’ve gone from proselytizing fan starting in 2010 to mildly disappointed but hopeful advocate by early 2013, to disappointed mostly ex-player who occasionally logs on to play with a family member and make sure to unlock the current living story chapter. In parallel with that journey, I’ve gone from small, but regular financial supporter to no longer supporting the game.

If I still had hope that GW2 was going to become reinvigorated, I’d probably be very disappointed by what I’ve seen of the September patch so far, but at this point it’s about what I’ve come to expect. Still keeping an eye on things, because you never know what might happen, but no longer holding my breath.

(edited by Gibson.4036)

Is anyone happy anymore?

Tachenon.5270

This is usually how it goes. Of course, not everyone who feels compelled to speak up speaks up as meekly and politely as this meek and polite young fellow, but still, the response is by and large the same. To wit:

The table is a fable.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Id probably agree with you. MMOs are should be designed to be played with other people.

Fixed for accuracy.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Hai.

I never said there was anything wrong with negative feedback -In fact, I think its critical to the game. What I said was the petty non-stop infighting between forum users (back and forth posts where players just try to one-up each other) gets in the way of possibly having real discussions about topics.

When the only argument (from either side) is to constantly bash one another (especially when its just two posters going back and forther), the real topic gets lost and what could be a discussion is now just another squabble.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

Hai.

I assume you’re talking about me. I don’t comment on every post you make. Far from it. But just like you’ll call Anet out when you feel they’ve done something wrong, I’ll do the same with forum posters.

Forums are all about communication. If someone says, the game is dying with no actual proof, you’re kitten ed right I’ll call them out. But a lot of your posts are reasonable and I just move on.

If I’m answering a post, I’ve seen something in it I disagree with. I’m pretty sure that forums are here to discuss stuff. Not just let people say something you disagree with and not say anything.

Oh dear, I didnt mention you! Why would you think that?

Lately, you’ve been climbing all over my posts. I think you’ve missed me during my absence.

Regardless, one does not need proof when he/she says they think the game is dying. Its their opinion. Its my opinion that LS is crap and that more people would get more out of the game if development was spent elsewhere, and not on LS. And when I say this, I base this on in-game chat, the multitude of disapproving posts and threads here, the enormous volume of negativity toward the game on other gaming websites and forums. For me, and combined with my own personal experience and opinion, its enough for me to form an generalized opinion. And I am entitled to just that.

I need no proof for my opinion. None.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Zardul.3952

How difficult new things are to implement is largely irrelevant. That’s entirely up to ArenaNet to kitten, and armchair developers sitting around on forums trying to guess at the workflow needed for this or that feature or content is just fodder for endlessly circling arguments.

“I’m not happy with GW2” is somewhat useful, “I’m happy with GW2” is marginally so, since both of these are already clearly communicated by your login patterns.

“This specific part of the game decreases my enjoyment,” is useful, as is “This specific part of the game is one of the most enjoyable things.” “I think I’d enjoy the game more with a specific thing added to it or changed about it” is also useful, as is “Your proposed addition or change would decrease my enjoyment.”

Speculating about how difficult a change would be to implement, though, is all on ArenNet’s side, and since they’ve clamped down on communication with the player base shortly after launch, we’re not going to be privy to what they think in that regard other than seeing it implemented or not.

A lot of pointless argument could be avoided if we could stick to discussing whether we think a certain thing would be more enjoyable or not, rather than making up information we don’t really have about how things would impact ArenaNet finances or manpower.

There’s really no need to appeal to objective authority here. Every player has an equal voice to express what they find entertaining or not about the game, and whether or not it will make them more or less inclined to play and, more importantly, spend money.

tl;dr As to the OP, I’m largely indifferent to the September patch. Over the course of my relationship with GW2, I’ve gone from proselytizing fan starting in 2010 to mildly disappointed but hopeful advocate by early 2013, to disappointed mostly ex-player who occasionally logs on to play with a family member and make sure to unlock the current living story chapter. In parallel with that journey, I’ve gone from small, but regular financial supporter to no longer supporting the game.

If I still had hope that GW2 was going to become reinvigorated, I’d probably be very disappointed by what I’ve seen of the September patch so far, but at this point it’s about what I’ve come to expect. Still keeping an eye on things, because you never know what might happen, but no longer holding my breath.

Truth. i went from cant wait to get home from work to play gw2 in 2012/2013
to
cant wait for that new game to come out as gw2 is going nowhere anytime soon. 2014

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

Hai.

Lately, you’ve been climbing all over my posts. I think you’ve missed me during my absence.

Regardless, one does not need proof when he/she says they think the game is dying. Its their opinion. Its my opinion that LS is crap and that more people would get more out of the game if development was spent elsewhere, and not on LS. And when I say this, I base this on in-game chat, the multitude of disapproving posts and threads here, the enormous volume of negativity toward the game on other gaming websites and forums. For me, and combined with my own personal experience and opinion, its enough for me to form an generalized opinion. And I am entitled to just that.

And herein lies the problem. People feel free to post opinions worded as fact, and then someone comes to the forums and says “Is anyone happy with the game?” Why do people have to ask this question?

Because opinions worded the way you word them often sound like you’re trying to state a fact. Saying “the game is dying” isn’t really a statement of opinion. And more, not everyone will see it as a statement of opinion.

If more people posted opinions as opinions, threads like this one might not have to be made at all.

Is anyone happy anymore?

cesmode.4257

I like you. Majority of this was non biased. At the end you show youre ebb and flow with the game. Your opinion, your reasons.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Zardul.3952

Hai.

And herein lies the problem. People feel free to post opinions worded as fact, and then someone comes to the forums and says “Is anyone happy with the game?” Why do people have to ask this question?

Because opinions worded the way you word them often sound like you’re trying to state a fact. Saying “the game is dying” isn’t really a statement of opinion. And more, not everyone will see it as a statement of opinion.

If more people posted opinions as opinions, threads like this one might not have to be made at all.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/forum/1398/Reviews-Impressions.html

have a look at those reviews,

its the same on all the other sites that review gw2.

these are all opinions too. but for the majority. you’ll see a pattern arise.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Viraldi.9610

Viraldi.9610

I was pretty excited over the new player experience, but it soon felt like a chore in a month or so. I left the game for half a year to tend my issues outside the game and returned hopeful for big changes. It didn’t take long for me to realise the cons of the game many ex-players hinted and even belabored at, so why not lower my expectations, I asked myself. I just want capes. My mistake for not knowing how unlikely it was and the hostility it surfaces when mentioned. Art can give that impression, it seems.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

Hai.

snip

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/forums/forum/1398/Reviews-Impressions.html

have a look at those reviews,

its the same on all the other sites that review gw2.

these are all opinions too. but for the majority. you’ll see a pattern arise.

So tell me? What difference does it make?

Do you know there are entire sites devoted to hating WoW? Entire sites. There are probably more people who hate WoW than have ever played Guild Wars 2.

Reviews are well and good. Some of them mean something and some of them mean nothing. There are lots of people who don’t like chess. Probably far more people who don’t like chess than like it. Does that make chess a bad game?

Anet came out with a very specific goal. They’ve had to move the goal posts from the goal several times, mostly for people like you.

And people left this game because they did. You know the whole vertical progression gear thing? That’s anathema to this community.

But some people wanted it and left the game and complained there wasn’t enough of it. And OTHER people went and played the game and left because there was too much of it.

The people who want end game, a specific type of end game, who’ve come to this game are not going to like the game, even though the devs were quite clear that end game wasn’t going to exist here.

I’m not stressed about reviews on MMORPG.com because not everyone is going to like a game. Take a look at some of the WOW reviews sometimes.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Illuminati.2431

Illuminati.2431

Do you know there are entire sites devoted to hating WoW? Entire sites. There are probably more people who hate WoW than have ever played Guild Wars 2.

Reviews are well and good. Some of them mean something and some of them mean nothing. There are lots of people who don’t like chess. Probably far more people who don’t like chess than like it. Does that make chess a bad game?

Anet came out with a very specific goal. They’ve had to move the goal posts from the goal several times, mostly for people like you.

And people left this game because they did. You know the whole vertical progression gear thing? That’s anathema to this community.

But some people wanted it and left the game and complained there wasn’t enough of it. And OTHER people went and played the game and left because there was too much of it.

The people who want end game, a specific type of end game, who’ve come to this game are not going to like the game, even though the devs were quite clear that end game wasn’t going to exist here.

I’m not stressed about reviews on MMORPG.com because not everyone is going to like a game. Take a look at some of the WOW reviews sometimes.

This isn’t a site devoted to hating Guild wars2, it a site where people can share their opinions and thoughts about ANY mmorpg. And the fact that the first page is only flooded with negativity towards the game, and that the same goes for any other generalized mmorpg forum, kind of indicates the fact that maybe the unsatisfied players aren’t a small minority anymore.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

This isn’t a site devoted to hating Guild wars2, it a site where people can share their opinions and thoughts about ANY mmorpg. And the fact that the first page is only flooded with negativity towards the game, and that the same goes for any other generalized mmorpg forum, kind of indicates the fact that maybe the unsatisfied players aren’t a small minority anymore.

It sure indicated the game has a lot of enemies, just like WoW does. Which doesn’t mean everyone who posts their gets what the devs are trying to do. This is what I keep saying.

There are many people who don’t like this game because it’s missing dueling or open world PvP, but those were never really on the table. They certainly weren’t central to what Anet was talking about.

It doesn’t matter how many people hate a game, if the people who like the game as it is sold is enough to ensure the future of the game.

Too many people want to turn this into a cookie cutter MMO, and that’s what some people are trying to protect. Many already think it’s gone too far in that direction.

The people who want specific things, are likely to be disappointed if they don’t get those things.

But you know, because anyone can log onto those sites, anyone at all, even a WoW fanboy who hates this game can post an negative review. People can even post reviews who’ve never played the game before.

At the end of the day, we have a reasonable idea of how the game is doing from quarterly reports. It’s doing fine. That’s how it’s doing.

Changing the game to try to capture many of those dissatisfied people could very well lead to the people already here being dissatisfied.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Zardul.3952

This.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I am getting back to happy with the interviews I’ve read and with some of the changes coming actually being items that have been long requested in the suggestions folder.

I just hope that they continue this path this is the way it was supposed to be all along. (crosses fingers) more suggestions folder items please!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Is anyone happy anymore?

Tachenon.5270

It sure indicated the game has a lot of enemies, just like WoW does. Which doesn’t mean everyone who posts their gets what the devs are trying to do. This is what I keep saying.

There are many people who don’t like this game because it’s missing dueling or open world PvP, but those were never really on the table. They certainly weren’t central to what Anet was talking about.

It doesn’t matter how many people hate a game, if the people who like the game as it is sold is enough to ensure the future of the game.

Too many people want to turn this into a cookie cutter MMO, and that’s what some people are trying to protect. Many already think it’s gone too far in that direction.

The people who want specific things, are likely to be disappointed if they don’t get those things.

But you know, because anyone can log onto those sites, anyone at all, even a WoW fanboy who hates this game can post an negative review. People can even post reviews who’ve never played the game before.

At the end of the day, we have a reasonable idea of how the game is doing from quarterly reports. It’s doing fine. That’s how it’s doing.

Changing the game to try to capture many of those dissatisfied people could very well lead to the people already here being dissatisfied.

I get what you’re saying. It’s like Justin Bieber. It doesn’t matter how many people make fun of him or profess to hate him, what counts is the gajillions of hits his videos get on youtube.

So, looking at it from that perspective, GW2 is the Justin Bieber of MMOs. Or is trying to be. Or something.

Yeah!

The table is a fable.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

In regards to Sept patch mostly.

TL;DR: So are you happy with the state of changes in GW2 for the past two years? Sure there has been some good, but it seems most people are just unhappy overall.

Yes, I am happy playing the game and have been playing since the betas. Is it THE perfect game? Of course not. But even if they made zero changes to the game, I’d play for several more years.
Generally speaking, unhappy people post, happy people do not.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Vayne.8563

I get what you’re saying. It’s like Justin Bieber. It doesn’t matter how many people make fun of him or profess to hate him, what counts is the gajillions of hits his videos get on youtube.

So, looking at it from that perspective, GW2 is the Justin Bieber of MMOs. Or is trying to be. Or something.

Yeah!

You’re so cute.

No, what I’m saying is that not every type of product is necessarily going to reach a wide audience. Guild Wars 2 probably should have stayed with it’s core audience in the beginning, but not worrying about what some people think and by not doing the whole ascended gear thing. That caused a lot of really loyal people to walk away from the game…many for good.

So then Guild Wars 2 had to rebuild with people who didn’t quite get it. The die hards, many, had left, and were replaced by people who came from other games that hadn’t followed the development of this game for years.

I’m not blind. I see the shift in the game. I understand, or think I understand, the reason some of the decisions are made. I don’t agree with all of them, but I’m still largely happy with the game. And I think people who play like me mostly are…and we’re sort of the target audience…at least the PvE’ers are. I can’t talk about PvP.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

This.

I just took a look at the Mmorpg forums and the only negative comment on the first page was:

“Parepin writes: They added a pay to win element to the game after saying they would never do that. Hypocrites. "

It also seems that the Community aspect of the game is the second lowest rated aspect of the game, preceded only by RP on a .1 point difference.

And it’s still 8.0.

I fail to see the growing minority of dissatisfaction or flood of negative comments.

Edit: I dug deeper and got a laugh. In one of the negatively inclined posts:

" Forums are practically fascist"

Lots of otherwise positive posts go:

" A wonderful game, just needs some raiding at the endgame… "

or:

“2800 hours into it and still enjoying =) " / "Really awesome game. Best MMO on the market right now thats for sure. "

And these are recent. during the time we didnt have a LS.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Mostly. I’d like some things returned to me that they took away from me in an effort to quietly allowing one group of people to feel better about themselves and the world by being intolerant towards other people who really just want what they want, with no ill will towards the intolerant people.

Other than that, pretty happy with what they left me with. There will be a tipping point, I’m sure, when the secret intolerant people erode away at things I enjoy, and that will be that.

But for the most part, sure.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Yeah!

No, WoW is definitely the Justin Bieber of MMOs. GW2 is more like… the Lady Gaga of MMOs.

Is anyone happy anymore?

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I am still a happy gw2 player, although i highly dislike the directions developer is taking. Take WvW for example, such an awesome and potential game mode bleeding to death since they dont do anything with it. Sad times. This game could easily be the bomb of all MMO’s with its great combat system but all is going to be lost to the living story temporarily content.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.