Is it Time for Veteran content yet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

So, as I always ask, what percentage of the playerbase ever did those things, or did them regularly.

I played Guild Wars 1 for well over five years. During that time, I did all of the end game instances once. That’s it. Once. It wasn’t fun for me. It wasn’t entertaining. It was annoying. It’s not why I play this game. I assume I’m not alone. Well I know I’m not because I play with other people like me.

The traditional thought of many players who like that sort of thing is that most people like that sort of thing…but I’m not sure it’s true.

I think if a lot of people by percentage did run DOA or The Underworld or FoW, then Anet would have put more of it in Guild Wars 2. They didn’t.

Maybe there’s a reason for that.

The reason they didn’t is because they took it into an entirely different direction. It was not merely a simple follow-on from GW1, there was a 250-year hiatus. Obviously with different writers in the game the story is going to go in different directions as well. It’s our job as players to influence the writers/designers/implementers of the game that we want this kind of content back in GW2.

Whose problem is it that you didn’t llike GW1 content? Anyone’s here? Certainly not. But that’s what I see people looking for when asked about new content, I mean the elite areas weren’t exactly pleasant; they were designed to be testing to a good team. I had as much exposure to GW1 as you did, and I managed to clock in 3 GWAMM’s. Yay me, right? Nope. Clearly I enjoyed the game a fair bit more than you did, as well as the challenge the game offered as end-game content.

So, at the risk of going off-topic, if you played GW1 for all of 5 years and only did the content once over, what the hell else did you do in the game? Maybe what you meant to say was that you owned GW1 for 5 years, played the content once, didn’t like it and moved onto something else. That stops you big-noting yourself.

Even in the middle of 2012 before GW2 was released, when Zaishen quests took people to elite areas, I found no shortage of people LFP. Get a team going, execute the content, cash in at the NPC. Simple enough in design and execution. The hard bit would be getting a team together, but like I said, there was plenty of people partying up.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

(edited by Valandil Dragonhart.2371)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Then i feel its my duty as every other veteran player to warn people playing gw2. Because i feel noone eventually wants to end with having nothing to do with no prospects to do anything. or extra content.

Then, as another veteran GW2 player, i’d like to respectfully point out that not everyone wants the same thing. Yes, i’d really like some new content to play in – be it new maps, dungeons, world bosses or guild missions. What i’m not really interested in however is a new, harder content. So, more content for everyone. Not only for a tiny minority.

Just asking and I wish anet would say something of their intentions because if they don’t care to make content for dedicated players so that these players can move on and find something to satisfy them.

They will never spell it out. At least not as long as that infamous Mike O’Brian’s No Talking About Future policy is in place. We have been unsuccesfully trying to make them reveal at least their most basic intentions for almost two years now. But it’s simply (as we were told) “not in the cards”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So, as I always ask, what percentage of the playerbase ever did those things, or did them regularly.

I played Guild Wars 1 for well over five years. During that time, I did all of the end game instances once. That’s it. Once. It wasn’t fun for me. It wasn’t entertaining. It was annoying. It’s not why I play this game. I assume I’m not alone. Well I know I’m not because I play with other people like me.

The traditional thought of many players who like that sort of thing is that most people like that sort of thing…but I’m not sure it’s true.

I think if a lot of people by percentage did run DOA or The Underworld or FoW, then Anet would have put more of it in Guild Wars 2. They didn’t.

The reason they didn’t is because they took it into an entirely different direction. It was not merely a simple follow-on from GW1, there was a 250-year hiatus. Obviously with different writers in the game the story is going to go in different directions as well. It’s our job as players to influence the writers/designers/implementers of the game that we want this kind of content back in GW2.

Whose problem is it that you didn’t llike GW1 content? Anyone’s here? Certainly not. But that’s what I see people looking for when asked about new content, I mean the elite areas weren’t exactly pleasant; they were designed to be testing to a good team. I had as much exposure to GW1 as you did, and I managed to clock in 3 GWAMM’s. Yay me, right? Nope. Clearly I enjoyed the game a fair bit more than you did, as well as the challenge the game offered as end-game content.

So, at the risk of going off-topic, if you played GW1 for all of 5 years and only did the content once over, what the hell else did you do in the game? Maybe what you meant to say was that you owned GW1 for 5 years, played the content once, didn’t like it and moved onto something else. That stops you big-noting yourself.

Even in the middle of 2012 before GW2 was released, when Zaishen quests took people to elite areas, I found no shortage of people LFP. Get a team going, execute the content, cash in at the NPC. Simple enough in design and execution. The hard bit would be getting a team together, but like I said, there was plenty of people partying up.

See that’s the bit you don’t get. You think repeating the elite zones over and over again is content and I think being out in the world and experiencing the story, lore, on different characters with different builds is open content. Vanquishing was fun for me…and that wasn’t done in UW or Slaver’s Exile.

The point is…you’ve missed the point.

It’s not that I didn’t care about high end elite instances. It’s that a percentage of the playerbase didn’t care about elite instances. Not one or two people….a significant percentage.

Now you may doubt that, but logically if everyone ran elite instances all the time, then logically Anet would have put more of them in Guild Wars 2. That they didn’t probably says something.

I’ve never heard any MMO dev anywhere saying most people play through the hardest content. But I haven’t heard MMO devs quite a few times say the opposite.

We know from dev quotes that more people solo than you’d think and more people just bang about in the open world. It doesn’t matter what I like or don’t like at all.

But it does matter what the biggest percentage of the playerbase likes. We mostly have no idea of what that is…but I can pretty much guarantee that Anet knows better than we do.

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

Guild wars 2 started to feel like a sandbox RPG, so I returned to GW1 and WoW and for challenging content. I only occasionally return for the LS and season events.

The only think that comes to close to a raid is when we do try to do dungeons with the guild.. NUDE

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

Lets to a thought process for the Average consumer of something.

In this case lets say its Gw2.

You as a person decide to pay for Gw2.

You are now a part of a category between those who do and do not own Gw2.

You have just added to the Gw2 revenue for the year.

No you, as an average casual player, log in and play about lets say…

3 hours a week.

Time passes and you will fall into another category depending on your level of investment.

Someone who sets aside a specific amount of time to Play or someone who will play when they feel up to it and have some time.

If you fall into the first category you are MORE LIKELY to spend money beyond the original purchase as you are showing Investment into the game.

If its the second, you are LESS LIKELY to spend money beyond original purchase, you show little to no investment and are unlikely to care about extra trinkets or “keeping up” with other players.

Yes there are deviations from this when you find the hardcore players that get off on earning everything by only grinding. But for every one of these there is many more adult players more inclined to spend a small amount of money to reap the same rewards. Those players may have less time and play casually but the majority of them Will fall into the Hardcore or Core sub category of players.

This is basic economics and business…

Just because you personally may not fall into these or even notice others that do, doesn’t mean its not the wide spread norm.

Not every hardcore gamer is a 15 year old with no income, and many older gamers that are invested in a game are more inclined to spend a little extra money to skip through things they deem less worthy of their time. Time they would rather spend with rewards or with their family after dinner.

Casual Ted, the 45 year old that barely plays probably isn’t spending his extra money on a game he barely plays to keep up with all the hardcore players..

It is almost ALWAYS the HARDCORE players that PAY the bills for the developers. they are the TARGET audience and as prideful as they want to seem…

Candy Crush makes over 70% of its cash off of less than 7% of its players. I seriously doubt those 7% are just casually playing the game for less than 15 minutes a week..

Farmville is exactly the same.

It may not be you. but its your Group, the hardcore and the Veteran, that complains the loudest while throwing the most cash all at the same time.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Has anet ever explicitly stated they care to put out more content for more dedicated players? Serious question here, I am all for it but the more I play gw2 the more I feel that the Devs have come to the conclusion that;

A) They are the smallest demographic of players
B) They demand the most and hardest to please
C) They are the quickest to complain and stir the controversy pot
D) They burn through content the fastest

All of these kinda spell out a why bother situation to me.

Just asking and I wish anet would say something of their intentions because if they don’t care to make content for dedicated players so that these players can move on and find something to satisfy them.

you forgot E and E is the most important to any company

E) They are the largest source of additional Spending. That means spending extra Money on the Product or future Products.

On the contrary. Hardcore players tend for farm for rewards. It’s the casuals who are more likely just to buy them with cash.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Someone who sets aside a specific amount of time to Play or someone who will play when they feel up to it and have some time.

If you fall into the first category you are MORE LIKELY to spend money beyond the original purchase as you are showing Investment into the game.

If its the second, you are LESS LIKELY to spend money beyond original purchase, you show little to no investment and are unlikely to care about extra trinkets or “keeping up” with other players.

Yes there are deviations from this when you find the hardcore players that get off on earning everything by only grinding. But for every one of these there is many more adult players more inclined to spend a small amount of money to reap the same rewards. Those players may have less time and play casually but the majority of them Will fall into the Hardcore or Core sub category of players.

Interesting theory. How do you know that the majority of them will be in the “hardcore category” as you call it?

And what exactly would they spend serious amounts of real money on to “keep up” with other players? What is there to keep up with anyway? I fail to see the part of the game where you need to invest money and/or excessive time to keep up, since the equipment needed to do all of this game’s content is easily achievable with a fairly relaxed and “casual” playstyle anyway.

By the way, I know a lot of “Casual Ted”’s that do in fact spend a good amount of real-world money on this game for stuff like the bobblehead laboratory, store-exclusive skins or makeover kits to play dress-up with their characters. Stuff to enjoy themselves, not something to “keep up” with anybody. I have yet to meet somebody who tells me they spent money to make challenging content any easier for them.

The “hardcore” players I know seem to buy the same frivoulus fluff from the story, only they don’t buy their gems with real money but with in-game gold instead, since they usually have a lot more of it than Casual Ted.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I’m talking about end-game content, such as revisited version/iterations of Fissure of Woe, Underworld, Urgoz’s Warren, The Deep, etc. That was end-game content. It required skill, knowledge and a good cooperative team to execute successfully.

What we have right now is fractals (which some people get bored of very easily) and not even a hard mode for dungeons. Just because you have two new L80 zones which are getting thinner by the day (yes I’ve seen it happen for myself) which are LS-invoked hardly qualifies it as veteran content.

Obviously the game needs more challenging content in ALL modes of gameplay, but our voices aren’t being heard… and even if they are, there’s no way they’ll respond back with “yes we can implement this”… why is that? (besides being mentioned in a CDI) Oh that’s right, the policy, again.

And maybe you’re skewing facts.

We didn’t have Guild Halls in GW2 – yet an overwhelming majority of players used them in GW1.

We don’t have build templates in GW2 yet an overwhelming majority of players used them in GW1.

And the list could go on.
There are a lot of things they had in GW1 which a lot of players used and liked and somehow these things never made it into GW2.

I think there’s a reason for that too but not the one you’re cleverly implying. It’s just bad game design.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

I feel people keep missing the point.

There is clearly, even if its a minority, craving for harder/veteran content.
I do not care about people who do not want it.

I have already stated about 3 times now that i dont ask for a complete revamp of the teams working on the living story.

All im asking is SOMETHING to do past this point wich isnt farming or repeating the same dungeons for the 100th time. or play the story AGAIN.

You people who keep saying, NO, without even reading the entire thread and still wanting to grasp the idea im trying to convey are doing it wrong.

I ask you to read all my posts in this thread to showcase what i am requesting.
Its not something big and fancy, people keep overreading that.

its 1 mob thats hard. thats it. Because i also know the majority of players DO like to farm and do stuff.

But people seem to be too stuck in the way of thinking that THEY themselves dont need it. Thats fine. Im not asking for entire content to be completely focussed on the veterans. Im asking for something to do wich i havnt done about a 100 times already.

Im asking for something re-playable that could keep people like me occupied. It doesn’t have to be fancy, it doesn’t have to be game changing. just.. something. Hence why i used liadri as an example. With the pavilion update everyone got something. Either youd farm the pavilion with massive zergs, or youd play the story, OR you could try and beat liadri.

The sad part about this is. There is no permanent content added for people like me since, well, since the pav… it is JUST cattering these days to the mass farming market. And i do feel that this is unfair.

Posted by: NNYinsanenature.5684

NNYinsanenature.5684

This game definitely needs harder 5 man instances or something of the sort instead of just zerg fests. The breach is a good idea in concept of people working together separately to achieve a goal but it falls in short of too many “zerg” players not paying attention to the mechanics and just afking dead until they can claim their “reward”. I’m just getting really tired of this single player story stuff its really dull. This game has become a PVE and WvW zerg fest / single player story mode and repetitive easy mode dungeon grind.

Vayne.8563

I’m talking about end-game content, such as revisited version/iterations of Fissure of Woe, Underworld, Urgoz’s Warren, The Deep, etc. That was end-game content. It required skill, knowledge and a good cooperative team to execute successfully.

What we have right now is fractals (which some people get bored of very easily) and not even a hard mode for dungeons. Just because you have two new L80 zones which are getting thinner by the day (yes I’ve seen it happen for myself) which are LS-invoked hardly qualifies it as veteran content.

Obviously the game needs more challenging content in ALL modes of gameplay, but our voices aren’t being heard… and even if they are, there’s no way they’ll respond back with “yes we can implement this”… why is that? (besides being mentioned in a CDI) Oh that’s right, the policy, again.

And maybe you’re skewing facts.

We didn’t have Guild Halls in GW2 – yet an overwhelming majority of players used them in GW1.

We don’t have build templates in GW2 yet an overwhelming majority of players used them in GW1.

And the list could go on.
There are a lot of things they had in GW1 which a lot of players used and liked and somehow these things never made it into GW2.

I think there’s a reason for that too but not the one you’re cleverly implying. It’s just bad game design.

How do you know an overwhelming amount of players used them in Guild Wars 1? I’m curious. Because most players I know never did. Maybe you’re skewing the facts.

Bottom line is you think you know what most Guild Wars 1 players liked or did, but there’s no real way to prove it. You obviously would have hung out with people who played your game.

Since a huge number of people soloed Guild Wars 1, and many of those people never joined a Guild, it stands to reason a pretty large percentage of people never used Guild Halls.

Obviously, most of the people who solo didn’t run dungeons or elite content either. And there are always more of them than we think. It’s been said again and again by lots of people. In fact, it was such an important question that pre-launch, Can I solo Guild Wars 2 was on the FAQ.

Aside from the Guild Halls are not “playable content”. I’m not sure that anyone doesn’t play or plays a game strictly because it does or doesn’t have guild halls.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Have you participated in the Raiding CDI?

Vayne.8563

Lets to a thought process for the Average consumer of something.

In this case lets say its Gw2.

You as a person decide to pay for Gw2.

You are now a part of a category between those who do and do not own Gw2.

You have just added to the Gw2 revenue for the year.

No you, as an average casual player, log in and play about lets say…

3 hours a week.

Time passes and you will fall into another category depending on your level of investment.

This is basic economics and business…

Just because you personally may not fall into these or even notice others that do, doesn’t mean its not the wide spread norm.

Not every hardcore gamer is a 15 year old with no income, and many older gamers that are invested in a game are more inclined to spend a little extra money to skip through things they deem less worthy of their time. Time they would rather spend with rewards or with their family after dinner.

Casual Ted, the 45 year old that barely plays probably isn’t spending his extra money on a game he barely plays to keep up with all the hardcore players..

It is almost ALWAYS the HARDCORE players that PAY the bills for the developers. they are the TARGET audience and as prideful as they want to seem…

Candy Crush makes over 70% of its cash off of less than 7% of its players. I seriously doubt those 7% are just casually playing the game for less than 15 minutes a week..

Farmville is exactly the same.

It may not be you. but its your Group, the hardcore and the Veteran, that complains the loudest while throwing the most cash all at the same time.

kittenumption is bad, because you’re confusing casual with people who don’t play a lot. Casual doesn’t have to mean that.

I can guarantee I’ve played more hours than most players, but I consider myself casual. The stuff “hard core players” ask for doesn’t interest me at all. And I spend money. A lot of money because I like the game and I have a lot of money. I don’t need have the crap I get, but I still like to support Anet.

Saying a casual players is only someone who plays X hours a week is missing the point, because I have a guild full of people like me who don’t really do “hard” content, or PvP…except very casually, and many of us spend money in the gem store.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You play it casually and yet you have 16 characters? How does that work? I have 11 and I play it almost every day with monthly breaks here and there.

OK, I have 15, actually counted this morning. 10 of which are 80’s and yes I classify myself as a casual player. I work 40+ hours a week, not including my 2 hour daily commute. I have a social life. I have a family. I have pets. All which take time. I took a 2 month break from the game right around when ascended came out. I don’t get on every day. I have played since beta, but my daily average is…I wanna say like two and a half hours a day.

I’m not sure where the rest of the information came from, as I didn’t really ask for nor say any of those things. I’m a bit confused there.

Rambling, not enough coffee lol. Sorry

What I meant is – if it’s an mmorpg, it should keep the majority of players busy for years. With Guild Wars 2, it just seems like there’s not that much to do…and I’m slightly worried that adding some new gear to grind for won’t help it much. I’m sure/I hope that more casual players can still enjoy it, but I was hoping for more.
This game has a huge potential. It would be foolish not to ask the devs for more and help them go in the right direction. Hence threads like this one.

I honestly feel it’s unrealistic in today’s MMO market to believe that any game should hold someone “for years.” Yes, that’s the goal of the game company; however, with as many different games coming out on a pretty regular basis its highly unlikely. Even if they could produce substantial new content every month, hell every 3 months, people would still get bored, because people always feel like the grass is greener on the other side. Besides, too many people play the game like they are being paid for it, which is going to make them bored because they are just going to exhaust everything available well before more could even possibly be made.

I agree that adding gear grind isn’t going to help and it’s definitely not the way to go. I also agree that the game still have great potential, and yeah I want new / more content too. I’m not advocating not asking for more content. I do consistently voice my opinion on not turning this game into another WoW clone on the other hand.

It’s not perfect, there are things to improve. Majority of my friends from 2 years ago didn’t log in since. For me it seems like this game doesn’t have that much to keep you going atm. Maybe it’s just me though. (And hundreds of other vets making these topics on the forums)

I don’t disagree, there are things that need improving, things that can be built on. I guess I’m different in that I still find plenty to do. I lose myself for hours in the game even after all this time. shrug

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Vayne.8563

I have 22 80s and consider myself casual as well.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

its 1 mob thats hard. thats it.

What the living story introduces isn’t always just zerg content, people just like to trivialize it. Also, zerging usually multiples your rewards.

Take Silverwastes for example. Each fort only takes a few decent players to successfully defend. Personally, I’ve practically solo’d (usually 1 other random) the troll, thrasher and the teragriffs in the breach. I don’t run conditions so I haven’t bothered with the husk. I didn’t expect to be able to solo the teragriffs, but the other day I got everyone killed right at the start due to their AoE and they all actually waypointed – amazing. Now when I see those events fails, I laugh, because I know. It’s unfortunate that a group of bad/low DPS players can actually drag you down. When it comes to content like this (designed for everyone), you have to create your own challenges.

The Queen’s Gauntlet was the only actual challenging content intended for solo players, unless you want to count SAB TM. It was supposed to be updated with additional bosses, but I doubt it was popular enough to warrant a higher than Liadri level. It’ll probably be back in a few months though.

They could add hard mode achievements to the living story instances. It shouldn’t impact development that much to throw a little extra stuff in. Let’s do the troll and teragriff at the same time for example and have a fragility debuff.

I wish there was an MMO that actually offered a solo raid-like endgame, where grouping was considered the casual alternative (like Dark Souls).

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

All im asking is SOMETHING to do past this point wich isnt farming or repeating the same dungeons for the 100th time. or play the story AGAIN.

I think all of us could agree on that, the problem is, what kind of content can you honestly imagine that fits these criteria? A challenging boss sounds great on paper, but how exactly do you define challenge? Does it force you to pay attention to certain mechanics, like e.g. the final Hidden Arcana boss fight? Does it force you to have good reflexes and know his ability tells and how to avoid/profit from them, like Lupicus? Does it involve a decent degree of rng to be on your side, with overlapping abilities that can appear in easier and harder combinations?

What challenge level is the right one for this game? Liadri level? I know a ton of people that never got close to beating her, as well as lots of people that claim she was easy once you knew her attacks and had enough practice to get the right reflexes working at the right times. What part of the community is this content supposed to keep busy, and for how long?

And lastly, how do you design the rewards for this kind of content to encourage people to spend their time with it, but not farm it? From my own experience in different MMOs, I have yet to come across content that was really played for a long time for the content itself. Either people replay it to farm the rewards, or they deem the rewards not worth the effort and go play other things once they’ve conquered whatever one-time rewards (in our case achievements) the content offers.

You can already see the divide in the (certainly not overly challenging) new living story content. Check out all the threads on the forums that claim the content is not worth playing, by people that find it too challenging to bother as well as by people that find it too easy. There are tons of people claiming the last episode does not have replayability, because they don’t enjoy the content (too easy, too hard, too boring, too zerg-heavy, too skill-reliant, too grindy, too much work for comparable loot, whatever). Some would obviously be more happy with “press 1 in zerg” type of content. Others would prefer more (solo or group) puzzles. Again others want more story and lore. Others want classic dungeons/raids. Yet others want “real MMO, not Pac-Man”.

Like I said above, I’m all for something new and challenging to play, I just haven’t really figured out how to design such content (be it a single boss, a minigame or whatever) to really fit my criteria. Maybe that would be the better opening for a thread, try to brainstorm how veteran content really looks like (mechanic-wise, skill-level-wise, reward-wise) instead of the nebulous “we need veteran content” where each person posting has a different idea of what kind of content we are talking about.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

so I returned to GW1 and WoW and for challenging content.

LOL good one…..

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

I think all of us could agree on that, the problem is, what kind of content can you honestly imagine that fits these criteria? A challenging boss sounds great on paper, but how exactly do you define challenge? Does it force you to pay attention to certain mechanics, like e.g. the final Hidden Arcana boss fight? Does it force you to have good reflexes and know his ability tells and how to avoid/profit from them, like Lupicus? Does it involve a decent degree of rng to be on your side, with overlapping abilities that can appear in easier and harder combinations?

What challenge level is the right one for this game? Liadri level? I know a ton of people that never got close to beating her, as well as lots of people that claim she was easy once you knew her attacks and had enough practice to get the right reflexes working at the right times. What part of the community is this content supposed to keep busy, and for how long?

And lastly, how do you design the rewards for this kind of content to encourage people to spend their time with it, but not farm it? From my own experience in different MMOs, I have yet to come across content that was really played for a long time for the content itself. Either people replay it to farm the rewards, or they deem the rewards not worth the effort and go play other things once they’ve conquered whatever one-time rewards (in our case achievements) the content offers.

You can already see the divide in the (certainly not overly challenging) new living story content. Check out all the threads on the forums that claim the content is not worth playing, by people that find it too challenging to bother as well as by people that find it too easy. There are tons of people claiming the last episode does not have replayability, because they don’t enjoy the content (too easy, too hard, too boring, too zerg-heavy, too skill-reliant, too grindy, too much work for comparable loot, whatever). Some would obviously be more happy with “press 1 in zerg” type of content. Others would prefer more (solo or group) puzzles. Again others want more story and lore. Others want classic dungeons/raids. Yet others want “real MMO, not Pac-Man”.

Like I said above, I’m all for something new and challenging to play, I just haven’t really figured out how to design such content (be it a single boss, a minigame or whatever) to really fit my criteria. Maybe that would be the better opening for a thread, try to brainstorm how veteran content really looks like (mechanic-wise, skill-level-wise, reward-wise) instead of the nebulous “we need veteran content” where each person posting has a different idea of what kind of content we are talking about.

Well my personal suggestions where in the end, make something like liadri. It doesnt have to be beaten by everyone thats the entire point of hardcore content. Thats why there is also a living story for people who dont enjoy that sort of content.

farmability only applies if content is too easy so it needs to be really hard.

And rewards, even with liadri people where more then glad when they got a title or a mini. In my personal opinion it should give something wich is locked behind RNG in farm/zerg content so obtainable without doing the boss. But still a clear display of victory over it (title/a daily/maybe even monthly chest etc)

The boss’ mechanics should be various. I liked the liadri fight because you could learn it, but i also disliked it because exacly as youve pointed out once you learned it you mastered it and it became pretty easy.

Lupi is good content in that perspective but with so many 1 man clears its also hard to say it cant be easily soloed when understood. I feel the boss should simply have those 2 types of combat combined with a close attention to what isnt working and what is, aka a work in progress. Like most LS zerg bosses where they get nerfed if its too hard and unfinishable after a month or so.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

And I still can’t solo any dungeon..

Story Mode or Explorer?

It’s been awhile since I did Lv80 Arah Story, but at that time, I tried to solo it and I can’t because I need another person to put down the stone. Maybe it’s been changed now though, but I haven’t really tried. As for other Story Mode, I haven’t attempted other Story Mode dungeons yet.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

you forgot E and E is the most important to any company

E) They are the largest source of additional Spending. That means spending extra Money on the Product or future Products.

What do you base that on? Do you have any sources to back up that assertion?

because I strongly doubt there’s any truth to it.

sorry for the terribly late reply but heres what 5 minutes on Google found for me.

http://freetoplay.biz/2007/08/02/top-10-revenue-models-for-free-to-play-games/

Look at the numbers in each player base for the Cash influx.

Your link points to a discussion of revenue models in free to play games… it doesn’t address the demographics or player breakdown of who is supplying the revenue.

so not only doesn’t it pertain to GW2 specifically, it doesn’t pertain to your statement at all(ie: hardcore/veteran players provide the largest source of revenue.)

I’m going to guess at this point that you’re confusing “whales” with hardcore players. those are very distinct groups and they don’t have that much overlap.

hardcore players traditionally have more time than money, whereas the opposite is true of whales.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

And I still can’t solo any dungeon..

Story Mode or Explorer?

It’s been awhile since I did Lv80 Arah Story, but at that time, I tried to solo it and I can’t because I need another person to put down the stone. Maybe it’s been changed now though, but I haven’t really tried. As for other Story Mode, I haven’t attempted other Story Mode dungeons yet.

Arah hasn’t changed. You still need another person to step on the pressure plate. The rest aren’t so bad to solo.

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

It’s not that I didn’t care about high end elite instances. It’s that a percentage of the playerbase didn’t care about elite instances. Not one or two people….a significant percentage.

I guess you can back your claim? Or are you speaking for everyone else again?

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

Vayne.8563

Anet devs have said so in the past. Asking me to find a Guild Wars 1 quote at this point is pointless, because it was a long time ago. But by percentage, very few people who ever played Guild Wars 1 beat DOA.

And I’m not speaking for everyone. I was in an alliance with well over 500 people at one point and most of them didn’t run elite content. It was hard to find groups for elite content, because the alliance was more casual.

NNYinsanenature.5684

I’m just gonna go ahead and call BS. I know LOTS of people that beat DOA so you can’t say very few. Would have made more sense if you said a small percent instead. Seems like a lot of what you say is contrived lol.

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

Well I cant read now every answer posted here, but let me give my answer to the original complain of this “veteran” players who are so hardcore gamers. Seriously judge me whatever you want. But I count myself not as casual. I play in every available time I can find in my busy life.

But to the question. Do GW2 need more content? Yes definitely. But let me ask you a question.

Is it not the “veterans” of the game who destroy the existing content with their rushings and farmings and exploitings? Is it not the "pro"s who kick the players who try to enjoy the story, so they dont slow down their Gold/Minute runs?

Veterans can never be satisfied. Think about Tequatl. Once it came out it was hard, now its easy as pie. Simply adding harder and harder content will lead to exactly to that where WoW today is. to million damages and mindless repeating patterns in end-game content.

GW2 in comparsion is actually a game which has potential for putting your own goals for yourself. Seriously go try to make a char in every race and every profession and play thorugh the story with them. When you are finished in 2 years, come here and complain again.

But no you will go back to game with your main, and do CoF runs. And then complain here.

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

To all the casuals speaking like “We happy you go away”:
Hardcore players are as much customers as you are and they deserve as much consideration as you. No hardcore player here has once stated “stop making LS and focus on hardcore content only”, it’s rightful to demand something that will appeal them -us- as well. Because…if you were the minority in the game and devs were only adding uber hard content which would be doable by hardcore players only, you would be as frustrated and concerned.

Yes you are as much a customer as anyone else.

However in almost every thread like this one it’s always “current content s’cks so please refocus on us hardcore/veteran players that you seem to hate because we are the ones that spend all the gold in the game, not those part time casual players” statements that betray the real mind set of the poster.

Maybe you are different and want Anet to focus on all things but that’s not what I’m getting from the OP.

Not to mention that most of the casual players I have met so far (quite over 50 between guilds and friend list) either have quit the game or constantly complain the game lacks content…

It did and tbh it needs more but Anet seems to be hearing that and working on it. Those people that have left well I can’t speak for them but I’ve been out here since the start (missed beta) and I have yet to find a lack of content. Thing is I didn’t power through things but just organically explored the world. I worked up several characters and enjoy them all. Perhaps your friends did the same thing that others seem to do, i.e. hammer through the game as fast as possible. Again I wouldn’t know but the difference between them and players like me seem to say that there are many others that still play for the enjoyment of the game itself. Go figure.

What I personally want to see is: more dungeons, more fractals, more hard content that doesn’t require 560000 people led by 400 commanders in which each person will have to spam either skill 1 or skill 2 repeatedly to get sand as reward. I’m bored of spending 1 hour refreshing LFG open world section to find a decent SW.

I agree. more would always be nice. They do need to expand and/or refresh the dungeons. PvP and WvW as well need some serious work. Fractals I can’t speak to as I’m still getting into them.

As for your issue with SW, lead don’t follow. Go on a map and do a call to arms. Pop a tag if you have it or just get a few to do it. That is the best way to build a good map. I’ve found that using LFG for Silverwastes is hit and miss.

Plus, Tequatl difficult? Really? Well, for people unable to read and turn what they read into action no doubt. 3-wurm same, after the third time beating it I realized the real challenge in that group event is to end up in a map where it is organized, since not even TS in GW2community can ensure you’ll manage to find a spot in the right map before it gets full.

Okay here I have to point out that every person that calls for vet/HC content complain that nothing takes a lot of work. Well the above does take a lot of work. Those same people would do veteran content over and over again so why not the same for Teq? Challenging content is still challenging so you can’t just dismiss it to serve your argument. That’s being hypocritical.

Failure should always be an option whether it’s do to organizational or skill failure. You can’t want mega content that is a push over and doesn’t require real work.

Peace.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

NNYinsanenature.5684

The story is so dull and easy it would take nowhere near 2 years to finish lol. I have leveled every profession to 80 and did the story for all of them. Fortunately before they broke the story because now i won’t even touch it. Took me only a month with less than 10 hours played a week.

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

And I’m not speaking for everyone. I was in an alliance with well over 500 people at one point and most of them didn’t run elite content. It was hard to find groups for elite content, because the alliance was more casual.

Anecdotes are no evidence.
Vayne if you really want to shill so bad, you gotta try harder!
:^)

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

NNYinsanenature.5684

I don’t think he can help but make things up at this point.

Revilrad.1962

The story is so dull and easy it would take nowhere near 2 years to finish lol. I have leveled every profession to 80 and did the story for all of them. Fortunately before they broke the story because now i won’t even touch it. Took me only a month with less than 10 hours played a week.

Well of course you did this, by going into WvW and levelling dumb and mindless to lvl 80. on how many characters you have world completion 100 %? How many NPC dialogues you did listen to? How many Vistas you skipped without watching? YOU MAKE the CONTENT short by not paying attention.

You cant do SW chest farm as you are watching your favourite Series on your second screen and complain at the same time about lack of content.

NNYinsanenature.5684

Lol if you actually knew me you would know i barely wvw because its just a mindless zergfest. I have leveld 6 of my 8 80s solely by map completion the other two i crafted before the increase in crafting level cap. I have 100% map on two characters i stoppped caring for it once i realised how lacking the reward is and i dont care for legendaries they dont appeal to me. And there is much better farming than SW chests but i’m sure you know that you seem to be an expert on all things right?

Posted by: Cavalier.9064

Cavalier.9064

I get so discouraged coming to this forum and seeing so many ungrateful and unrealistic “veteran” players talking about how the sky is falling and how GW2 is dying.

The sky isn’t falling, and GW2 is far from dying.

I’ve been playing since launch, I log in nearly every day for hours at a time, and I sometimes spend full weekends in GW2. And I’m still having a blast, no matter what part of the game (Dry Top, Silverwastes, PvP, WvW havok, etc.) I’m doing at any given time.

I enjoy the regular content ArenaNet is providing. I think releasing an expansion might be a good idea, but not at the expense of regularly released content that continues to keep me engaged. I don’t want a level cap increase. I don’t want a gear treadmill. And for the love of Dwayna, no kittening mounts!

Raids would be nice, and additional dungeons (based on the current living story) and Fractals (based on previous living stories) would also be great, but I’m managing expectations so as not to be disappointed when we don’t immediately see them. And by the grace of Kormir, I wish they’d fix the Personal Story that they broke. >_<

But otherwise, I see all these people who are just so dissatisfied, and I have to wonder, is there any possible way of pleasing these folks?

Now, if you want to know what it looks like to see an actual sky falling, go to the ArcheAge forums.

Vayne.8563

I’m just gonna go ahead and call BS. I know LOTS of people that beat DOA so you can’t say very few. Would have made more sense if you said a small percent instead. Seems like a lot of what you say is contrived lol.

It’s very few people by percentage. 7 million people bought Guild Wars 2. I’m pretty sure a million didn’t finish DOA.

The spirit of what I’m saying you’re completely ignoring. In every single game we’ve heard devs talk about this, devs have always said only a small percentage of people ever finish the hardest content. The WoW devs said it. Guild Wars 1 devs said something similar, I wish I had the quote.

But it’s been repeated enough times over the years where only someone not paying attention wouldn’t have heard something to that effect.

By the same token I’ve never heard a dev come out and say that most people finish the hardest content.

Castrin.8972

This made me think about the whole “hard mode” thought process. What came to me was there is a hard mode in this game which hadn’t occurred to me. Maybe it has for others but I’ve never been one to play a game on hard mode (a generally die that much faster so …) but since others have maybe it’s obvious to them. In a nut shell: under equip your character. I know some play “naked” in game but that’s like ultra hard mode I’d think. Why not just equip armor and weapons under the level of the dungeon? Even just do it in greens or blues and not exotics.

Just thinking about this the game really does allow you more flexibility than I think most recognize.

Peace.

Grandmaster

Revilrad.1962

Lol if you actually knew me you would know i barely wvw because its just a mindless zergfest. I have leveld 6 of my 8 80s solely by map completion the other two i crafted before the increase in crafting level cap. I have 100% map on two characters i stoppped caring for it once i realised how lacking the reward is and i dont care for legendaries they dont appeal to me. And there is much better farming than SW chests but i’m sure you know that you seem to be an expert on all things right?

No I am not an expert on all things. But seriously what exactly is that what you want? Do you want a company to release content every time you go finish with the other one? If you never WvW and dont try to get the ultimate Ascended or legendaries you are putting yourself out of End-Game Content. Seriously?

Your argument is invalid because you are demanding more content just because the old ones are not to your liking. This is your freedom to not the like the content or complain/feedback about it. But you cant say there is not enough content. There surely is.

Vayne.8563

I don’t think he can help but make things up at this point.

Or you can listen to what devs have said for years from game to game, including some of the Guild Wars 1 devs and make an educated decision based on that information.

This game isn’t the only MMORPG in existence and for years devs have been saying how few people run the hardest content.

Most recently it was a dev from Lotro who said less than 10% of the population raids or did PvP…and that wasn’t recently that was consistently from launch.

You think Guild Wars 1 was any different?

Other devs have said similar things through the years MMOs have been a thing. Some of us ignore what devs say, some of us pay attention.

Revilrad.1962

I get so discouraged coming to this forum and seeing so many ungrateful and unrealistic “veteran” players talking about how the sky is falling and how GW2 is dying.

I’ve been playing since launch, I log in nearly every day for hours at a time, and I sometimes spend full weekends in GW2. And I’m still having a blast, no matter what part of the game (Dry Top, Silverwastes, PvP, WvW havok, etc.) I’m doing at any given time.

I enjoy the regular content ArenaNet is providing. I think releasing an expansion might be a good idea, but not at the expense of regularly released content that continues to keep me engaged. I don’t want a level cap increase. I don’t want a gear treadmill. And for the love of Dwayna, no kittening mounts!

Raids would be nice, and additional dungeons (based on the current living story) and Fractals (based on previous living stories) would also be great, but I’m managing expectations so as not to be disappointed when we don’t immediately see them. And by the grace of Kormir, I wish they’d fix the Personal Story that they broke. >_<

But otherwise, I see all these people who are just so dissatisfied, and I have to wonder, is there any possible way of pleasing these folks?

Now, if you want to know what it looks like to see an actual sky falling, go to the ArcheAge forums.

Thank you for your excellent post. There are porblems in this game, heck there are. There are fixes/nerfs/bugs every month and issues too many to count. But seriously the lack of content is not one od this problems

Cavalier.9064

But you cant say there is not enough content. There surely is.

This is my biggest gripe with a LOT of the players posting these “want more content” threads, because they are the exact SAME people who, in the very same breath, say that they don’t PvP, or they don’t like WvW, or they think achievements are dumb, or they avoid the “tedious” Living Story, or they don’t care for Legendary weapons, or they don’t do Fractals or care for Ascended gear, or they don’t bother with armor skin collecting.

My question is, just what the heck are these players looking for in their “content”? If it’s the World of Warcraft experience you’re looking for, then go there, because GW2 is not that, no matter how much or how hard you wish it to be.

Castrin.8972

Everyone plays the game different, that has to be expected, but I agree!

Again just a thought but how about dungeons based on LS1 content? Marionette and toxic tower seem to be perfect bases for this kind of content and would allow some to experience what they might have missed.

Read those and have the game DL’d but the game just feels too basic and typical for my tastes. I was interested in land ownership till I found out how they really boofed the “lower class” players that won’t fork over real money to play. Much prefer how GW2 does things even if I can’t have a private house in DR. :P

Peace.

Grandmaster

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

But you cant say there is not enough content. There surely is.

This is my biggest gripe with a LOT of the players posting these “want more content” threads, because they are the exact SAME people who, in the very same breath, say that they don’t PvP, or they don’t like WvW, or they think achievements are dumb, or they avoid the “tedious” Living Story, or they don’t care for Legendary weapons, or they don’t do Fractals or care for Ascended gear, or they don’t bother with armor skin collecting.

My question is, just what the heck are these players looking for in their “content”? If it’s the World of Warcraft experience you’re looking for, then go there, because GW2 is not that, no matter how much or how hard you wish it to be.

People are looking for new content (about 95% of the content in the game has been there since release over 2 years ago) which is fun and rewarding to replay a lot of times with friends or their guild. Not some solo story instances which give an one time reward and become even more boring (because they dont scale up) if you have a group.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Cavalier.9064

Again just a thought but how about dungeons based on LS1 content? Marionette and toxic tower seem to be perfect bases for this kind of content and would allow some to experience what they might have missed.

Amazing idea, and I absolutely agree. This is what I actually had in mind when I mentioned Fractals based on previous Living World seasons. Much like they did with Mai Trin, Aetherblade, Molten Alliance, and Thaumanova Reactor fractals. Even though they haven’t communicated they are doing so, I’m optimistically hopeful that they intend to do the same for some of the other stuff many folks missed.

Read those and have the game DL’d but the game just feels too basic and typical for my tastes. I was interested in land ownership till I found out how they really boofed the “lower class” players that won’t fork over real money to play. Much prefer how GW2 does things even if I can’t have a private house in DR. :P

ArcheAge is like a neverending train wreck that I just can’t stop watching with rapt interest. A great game at its core, but it is rapidly being destroyed by incompetence and mismanagement by all parties involved. I’m glad I jumped out before that train even got a chance to leave the station.

And a private house in Divinity’s Reach would be ridiculously amazing.

Here’s to the future!

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

It’s beyond time.

It’s probably 18 months past when veteran content should have been added.

Unfortunately Anet won’t implement it because we’re not worthy.

So two new zones aren’t veteran content? Or are you thinking veteran content is only dungeons?

The problem is there are people assuming all veterans want the same stuff…I see no evidence of that.

Umm, if the average player can complete it with a mindless blob, then it’s not the “veteran” content that people are referring to. People want stuff they actually have to work at, mobs or bosses that they might have to spend hour and hours and weeks and weeks of time trying to complete and beat, which would require proper knowledge of builds, weapon sets, and combat mechanics. Content that would be frustratingly difficult for the most experienced dungeon runners in the game, and which most of the GW2 playerbase would not be able to complete due to their stubborn playhowiwant attitudes rather than actually adapting themselves to the challenge.

Vayne.8563

It’s beyond time.

So two new zones aren’t veteran content? Or are you thinking veteran content is only dungeons?

The problem is there are people assuming all veterans want the same stuff…I see no evidence of that.

Umm, if the average player can complete it with a mindless blob, then it’s not the “veteran” content that people are referring to. People want stuff they actually have to work at, mobs or bosses that they might have to spend hour and hours and weeks and weeks of time trying to complete and beat, which would require proper knowledge of builds, weapon sets, and combat mechanics. Content that would be frustratingly difficult for the most experienced dungeon runners in the game, and which most of the GW2 playerbase would not be able to complete due to their stubborn playhowiwant attitudes rather than actually adapting themselves to the challenge.

You still haven’t answered me? “People” want stuff…what people? How many? What percentage?

If 20% of the population of the game wanted difficult content, would that justify producing it. (Yes I pulled that number out of my kitten, it’s just a hypothetical question).

I’m pretty sure there are some veteran players, may even a big percentage of them that don’t play games to be challenged. Some people play games to relax.

And we don’t really know those percentages. But I suspect that there are more people who want something to do that isn’t particularly challenging. That’s my guess.

Anet knows how many people attempted and beat Liadri for example. It based on that, they decided not to put a huge amount of that content in the game. That’s my guess.

Revilrad.1962

Uhm. Let me ask one question. How many people you see actually do TA Aetherblade path? Or how long did it take to actually figure out how to do a proper Teq tun? Anet is adding stuff like this. But this will never be the main goal of the game.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I don’t think he can help but try speaking for everyone else. Here’s your significant percentage, Vayne… I was an officer for two rather large alliances (not guilds, but many guilds put together under one banner). One of them was a UK-based alliance playing on NA servers as well as Euro. Elite content was pretty much all these guys did, and there were thousands of people in these alliances.

Now, what percentage of the playerbase doesn’t like elite content again?

Regarding the elite content within GW2, you’re trying to push the philosophy of what GW1 devs had in comparison to GW2 devs, which “never the twain shall meet” (yet, anyway).

GW1 devs pushed elite content as well as expansions, EotN, etc. Hard Mode was eventually implemented and widely accepted by the community at large, so much so that when the Zaishen quests were being utilised the most (early-mid 2012, ie. pre GW2 launch), much of it had the Hard Mode option for the extra coin, which most people went for.

GW2 devs as you know will push the story and the gem store, again and again. This in turn makes people quite bored after a while (apart from the freaks who love the gimmicks) and eventually pushes them out of the game (some temporarily, a lot permanently).

My guess is that the devs weren’t expecting people to level to 80 so quickly and get the gear they got, so as I’ve read in a lot of reviews, many players got bored with the game after one month and left. That pushed them up against the wall as far as getting new content, which brought about hardcore farming of Orrian areas and subsequent nerfing because people were doing it too easily and exploiting eventually. Southsun came around and gave people a bit of a challenge, even for a massive zerg. The devs didn’t want to push out anything content-wise after they got fractals/southsun introduced, 2 years ago. LS was going to be it.

The only way to force their hand will be a big shift in game participation/sales which is what feels like is happening now. If all they can do every other Tuesday is bring out another crappy gem store item, I don’t want to be a part of it. This is no way to retain players. The LS content might be enough for some to keep them going; for others, when you see a dev post about an expansion or some content within the game that we haven’t seen before, expect there to be a massive influx of returning players. This is what they want; it’s been said over and over again in these forums alone.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

It’s beyond time.

You still haven’t answered me? “People” want stuff…what people? How many? What percentage?

If 20% of the population of the game wanted difficult content, would that justify producing it. (Yes I pulled that number out of my kitten, it’s just a hypothetical question).

I’m pretty sure there are some veteran players, may even a big percentage of them that don’t play games to be challenged. Some people play games to relax.

And we don’t really know those percentages. But I suspect that there are more people who want something to do that isn’t particularly challenging. That’s my guess.

Anet knows how many people attempted and beat Liadri for example. It based on that, they decided not to put a huge amount of that content in the game. That’s my guess.

Out of the people I ever talked to in the game who have been playing for over 2 years, majority(I don’t know, 80%) wants new content badly. There are people who are happy with grinding gold. There are people who are happy with doing dungeons 24/7. There are people who are happy/obsessed with doing every single achievement there is. I don’t really think this should count as “content”. Is it a causal game, or a game for hardcore gamers? I thought it’s going in the casual direction. Then a way to go would be adding new stuff to do, right? Not new gear to grind for. I feel like this game has some sort of identity crisis.
Personally I’m happy with the new map and with the new carapace/luminescent armour, but it doesn’t change the fact that there’s still not that much to do. Not for people who don’t want to repeat the same notion over and over again.

A good start would probably be enabling SAB. I’m not sure why they turned it off in the first place. Maybe it has something to do with the prizes. (But those can be made much more expensive)

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

25612 achievement points

How many hours of playtime did that take.. I’m guessing it’s well over 2k?

do you realistically expect Anet to create/support enough content to match your consumption rate?

I played 7280 hours but thats not the point.

What the kitten o_O!

Do you get paid to play GW2? D;

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Uhm. Let me ask one question. How many people you see actually do TA Aetherblade path? Or how long did it take to actually figure out how to do a proper Teq tun? Anet is adding stuff like this. But this will never be the main goal of the game.

Aetherblade no idea, doubt if a huge number do it. Teq took a long time to beat, until mega-server it was not done on a regular basis on any server outside of desolation (on EU side). Now that enough people know it it is called easy. Until it was called easy it was called impossible (right here on these forums no less).

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well, that was the main reason why DoA normal mode got a nerf, and access scrolls to UW/FoW/Kanaxai/The Deep/Urgoz Warren were introduced. And why buying access to black widow/Eternal forgemaster was a quite lucrative business. It was also a common knowledge on forums, referenced often by both devs and players alike. I’m surprised you didn’t know that (maybe you weren’t that active then).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November