Is it fair?

Is it fair?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

In my opinion, I don’t find it fair that PvPers can get Arah dungeon armor and weapons (Arah is considered by far the hardest dungeon in the game) by doing pvp only, and now they are releasing PvP exclusive armor that is not available anywhere else. I feel like PvPers are being babied because most don’t want to step foot outisde heart of the mists.

I pvp on occasion as well as doing dungeons, fractals, and wvw. This new armor looks crazy good looking actually and I wish there was a way in pve or wvw to receive those skins.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I haven’t seen these new armors have a link?

Is it fair?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

It’s in the latest blog on the official site.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Is it fair?

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

In my opinion, I don’t find it fair that PvPers can get Arah dungeon armor and weapons (Arah is considered by far the hardest dungeon in the game) by doing pvp only, and now they are releasing PvP exclusive armor that is not available anywhere else. I feel like PvPers are being babied because most don’t want to step foot outisde heart of the mists.

I pvp on occasion as well as doing dungeons, fractals, and wvw. This new armor looks crazy good looking actually and I wish there was a way in pve or wvw to receive those skins.

To be fair, the dungeon becomes routine once you know what to do.

I think it presents a nice option. Instead of grinding the same dungeon over and over for the armor, players can go do PVP matches to gain it at a very very slow rate.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, it is very fair. Just like when PvE has skins that those that prefer PvP could not easily acquire.

I don’t PvP, but I certainly don’t begrudge those that do their shinies. Geez!

Is it fair?

Posted by: Devo.7320

Devo.7320

This game is so much fun.

~~~~~~~~{<-*}> I IZ A BIRDY!

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

To be fair, the dungeon becomes routine once you know what to do.

I think it presents a nice option. Instead of grinding the same dungeon over and over for the armor, players can go do PVP matches to gain it at a very very slow rate.

Yeah, you are right about most cases for dungeons, but Arah explorable is very different and many consider it end game content. PvPers have to do nothing different to get that armor or weapon skins if they wanted it. Why then should PvEers or WvWers have to be forced to do pvp to get this new skin

Is it fair?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes, it is very fair. Just like when PvE has skins that those that prefer PvP could not easily acquire.

Pretty much this. I don’t PvP either, but both PvP and WvW rewards were underwhelming to the point of laughable for a long time.

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

Pretty much this. I don’t PvP either, but both PvP and WvW rewards were underwhelming to the point of laughable for a long time.

Yeah, I can agree that WvWers have NOTHING in the game at all. After the April update, PvPers have almost as much as PvEers do, considering now that almost all the new skins are gem store skins.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

PvE gets new content twice a month, no one bats an eye.

PvP gets a single armour set after 2 years of nothing and everyone loses their minds.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Is it fair?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I think people worry too much about fair.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

PvP gets a single armour set and everyone loses their minds.

Yeahhhh idk what your talking about considering pvp had a MASSIVE update in April along with tracks and rank changes.

Is it fair?

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Yeahhhh idk what your talking about considering pvp had a MASSIVE update in April along with tracks and rank changes.

Massive update? Let’s see what happened:

1. PvP’ers now have to use transmutations charges, previously it was free.
2. Ranks were nerfed to oblivion – suddenly everyone is rank 60+.
3. Armours are no longer locked behind ranks, which removes all prestique.
4. Raid On The Capricorn was removed.
5. You no longer have ALL skills in PvP, which means it is no longer 100% fair game to newcomers.
6. They stripped EVERYONE off their PvP gear, forcing them to use PvE gear and use transmutation charges to get back their previous looks in PvP.
7. You cannot have a fully equipped character at level 1 anymore, because you now need to be level 15 to get a helm and shoulderpads.

The reward tracks was the ONLY good addidion to PvP in the April Feature Pack. Everything else was a big middle finger to PvP’ers.

This is of course just my opinion.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Devo.7320

Devo.7320

They should just have an elite PvP set, WvW set, and PvE set, which is met by certain requirements. But this is ncsoft’s GW2, that sounds way too hard, and the armors would probably look like, well, no elite. Good thing for gems though, maybe a net could be fair and add this PvP set to the gem store! CUZ GEMS PROFIT$!!!!!

~~~~~~~~{<-*}> I IZ A BIRDY!

Is it fair?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

PvP and WvW have gotten the short end of the stick for a while, I don’t see them as being babied at all.

Now, is it fair that they can get the dungeon armor without doing the dungeons? Sure. It’s not like they aren’t doing anything for it. They still have to play their chosen mode. It’s not any different than strict pvpers obtaining pve skins via balth faction in GW1. Same concept.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

5. You no longer have ALL skills in PvP, which means it is no longer 100% fair game to newcomers.
6. They stripped EVERYONE off their PvP gear, forcing them to use PvE gear and use transmutation charges to get back their previous looks in PvP.
7. You cannot have a fully equipped character at level 1 anymore, because you now need to be level 15 to get a helm and shoulderpads.

The reward tracks was the ONLY good addidion to PvP in the April Feature Pack. Everything else was a big middle finger to PvP’ers.

Ooookay let’s take this one at a time shall we…
1. PvEers NEVER had it free to transmute. Now you in pvp you get like 5 trans stones per day which is not possible to do anywhere else in game.
2. There are no rankings in Pve so this doesn’t really apply or mean anything if ur not a pvper. The fact that 1.5 years in and no one was rank 80 yet just says something about how it was implemented from the start.
3. That very well may be but pvpers now can get arah armor which is an end game armor. I wonder if wvwers can get arah gear hmmm?
4. Just stop… that map sucked and everyone agrees.
5. To make it more balanced…. cus you know… it’s pvp.
6. And all skins you had before were unlocked in the wardrobe, what’s your point? And with the constant supply pvpers get of trans stones it’s kind of a joke.
7. Armor doesn’t mean anything in pvp AND you get tons of tomes of knowledge if you want to lvl up.

Is it fair?

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

PvE in this game is an absolute farce, the content is mind numblingy easy ok. My little 11 year old nephew plays this game and he easily does high lvl frac runs for his daily…and arah as hardest dung? right thats why soooo many ppl are constantly soloing it and selling paths.. get real, pve is not hard at ALL.

Come PvP on the other hand, where you actually need to be a competitive and competent group of indivuals… also is its way more challenging than zerging around in open world PvE smashing 1 and loot all key…

Also did you just say Arah is endgame armor? There is no endgame armor (ascended sure if you want to do high lvl fracs or min/max wvw/dungs…)
The real endgame is just skins dude… arah armor is freaking free basically.. just costs tokens, but you actually need to grind a lot if you wanna get the gemstore skins (or open you’re wallet)

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

buying arah paths is the equivalent of a pvper doing spvp cus that entire part of pvp is a joke. Iv’e done enough pvp to understand that much. Also you can lose in pvp as much as you want and you will still be rewarded. You lose or fail to complete a dungeon and you get no reward at all. And don’t pretend pvpers are all amazing. I started pvping only couple months ago and last week made it to top 700 on the leaderboards so don’t make it sound like pvp is the ‘end all be all’

Yes, some can solo arah, it’s not easy and is very time consuming and only works if you have the skill and know the tricks. With pvp, win or lose, you still win.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Anyone care to venture how many “is it fair…?” bullet points about armor and weapons skins PvPers could post here? Seriously, PvP (and WvW) only players have MUCH more to be disgruntled about in this area…..

(NOTE: I’m a 90% PvE, 10% WvW player)

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Is it fair?

Naus the Gobbo.5172

1. PvEers NEVER had it free to transmute. Now you in pvp you get like 5 trans stones per day which is not possible to do anywhere else in game.
2. There are no rankings in Pve so this doesn’t really apply or mean anything if ur not a pvper. The fact that 1.5 years in and no one was rank 80 yet just says something about how it was implemented from the start.
3. That very well may be but pvpers now can get arah armor which is an end game armor. I wonder if wvwers can get arah gear hmmm?
6. And all skins you had before were unlocked in the wardrobe, what’s your point? And with the constant supply pvpers get of trans stones it’s kind of a joke.
7. Armor doesn’t mean anything in pvp AND you get tons of tomes of knowledge if you want to lvl up.

In response to your response to my post:

4. I loved that map, and so did a lot of other people. YOU may not have liked it, but a lot of people did.
5. Everyone used to have all skills available in PvP – a level 1 was as powerful as a level 80, so how is it “more balanced” to have a level 80 be more powerful than a level 1, when a level 80 now has more skills than a level 1?

I don’t mean to be rude or disrespectful, but I’m getting a vibe from you that this is a case of you just disagreeing with me, and as a result of that everything you say is right, and everything I say is wrong.

Just realized, this a really huge wall of text. May the wall never be breached!

Is it fair?

SkiTz.4590

buying arah paths is the equivalent of a pvper doing spvp cus that entire part of pvp is a joke. Iv’e done enough pvp to understand that much. Also you can lose in pvp as much as you want and you will still be rewarded. You lose or fail to complete a dungeon and you get no reward at all. And don’t pretend pvpers are all amazing. I started pvping only couple months ago and last week made it to top 700 on the leaderboards so don’t make it sound like pvp is the ‘end all be all’

Yes, some can solo arah, it’s not easy and is very time consuming and only works if you have the skill and know the tricks. With pvp, win or lose, you still win.

Not that hard to make leaderboards given how dead PvP is in this game lol…but please, let me know when you have multiple champion x profession titles.. that might actually tell me you actually PvP and have some kind of skill

And no, you don’t still win, you get minimal points/rank ups/track progression when you keep losing, thus it sucks to lose.

What kind of mentality is “who cares if I lose, I’m still going to get minimal rewards.., so why should i bother even trying, ill just afk lol?”
good one dude, your logic is flawless.

PvP hasn’t received updates in years, which is why the PvP scene is so freaking dead…
Yea most of the player base is doing PvE.. doesn’t mean you just disregard an entire system.. why on earth did they put PvP in this game if they weren’t going to bother updating it??

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

Ooooh man we got a bad kitten over here lelz.. I never claimed to be a pvper and this topic has nothing to do with the original purpose of this thread. No one likes to lose, but the point is you are still rewarded. And again…. they received an update in April but yes you’re right it’s been years lol.

But again what you’re trying to talk about is nothing to do with the thread of the skin being exclusive. Don’t post if you have nothing productive to say.

Edit: yes @Naus ill agree with you on point 5 I forgot you need to unlock traits and skills now, which in pvp doesn’t make sense.

(edited by Eight Samurai.6840)

Is it fair?

SkiTz.4590

Ooooh man we got a bad kitten over here lelz.. I never claimed to be a pvper and this topic has nothing to do with the original purpose of this thread. No one likes to lose, but the point is you are still rewarded. And again…. they received an update in April but yes you’re right it’s been years lol.

But again what you’re trying to talk about is nothing to do with the thread of the skin being exclusive. Don’t post if you have nothing productive to say.

This entire thread is unproductive…..you act as if PvE doesn’t have exclusive skins..you think a PvPer is going to get a legendary skin anytime soon? lol you think PvPers get access to those gemstore skins unless we straight up pay up with gems? at least PvE can farm gold and keys and acquire said skins , much faster than a PvPer

Its completely fair for PvPers to get an exclusive skin… stop acting as if this is going to hurt the game haha. Besides, it will prolly be another 6-10 months before we ever see another PvP update, meanwhile PvErs get a new skin/content at least 2x a month….

Is it fair?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I got dungeon skins simply through achievement chests.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

You need to read the blogs dude… I don’t know what to tell you. There is a balance update coming in September. 99% of new skins that are released are black lion gem skins which means it’s not pve skin. And again my point isn’t only about pve and pvp, but also WvW who have nothing. And it’s not easy making a legendary if your a pver either. And whether you think this thread is productive or not is your own opinion. But if you plan on replying to threads your supposed to keep it on topic.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

shall we list the huge number of pve skins that aren’t available in pvp?
or one time only pve skins that we’ll never have a chance to get?

Is it fair?

SkiTz.4590

You need to read the blogs dude… I don’t know what to tell you. There is a balance update coming in September. 99% of new skins that are released are black lion gem skins which means it,‘s not pve skin. And again my point isn’t only about pve and pvp, but also WvW who have nothing. And it’s not easy making a legendary if your a pver either. And whether you think this thread is productive or not is your own opinion. But if you plan on replying to threads your supposed to keep it on topic.

It is on topic…PvP getting an exclusive skin is 100% fair….its happening, I don’t understand what the point of the topic is lol, you think anet is going to change their mind when they already spent time designing the sets?
And dude, a person doing PvP literally has 0 chance of legendary.. You can only get them through PvE (or credit card lol). Everytime I step into a zone, theres always a good chunk of players with rainbow unicorns bows and glittery swords…

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Is it fair?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

1) As a PvEer (occasional WvW) I have received hundreds of free skin transmutations.

2) You portrayed the patch as pro PvP. This element shows that it was not necessarily so.

3) PvP is endgame to many people as well.

4) Everyone ? Making stuff up is easy !

5) Except that it produces less balance not more

7) If armor doesn’t matter in PvP people would be wining tournaments without wearing any. You do not have tons of tomes at level one when starting.

How much content does PvE have compared to PvP ? When you have to go back four months to find a PvP patch compared to bi-weekly PvE content additions you might want to reconsider.

Is it fair?

Eight Samurai.6840

shall we list the huge number of pve skins that aren’t available in pvp?
or one time only pve skins that we’ll never have a chance to get?

Yes you are right I will agree with you there are lots of skins that only pvers get that aren’t available by doing other things in the game. Or skins that you can never get anymore, you’re right. But why should Anet continue doing ‘exclusive only’ skins, I find it only counterproductive and doesn’t make sense to me. That’s the part I find unfair.

Is it fair?

Rouven.7409

You need to read the blogs dude… I don’t know what to tell you. There is a balance update coming in September. 99% of new skins that are released are black lion gem skins which means it’s not pve skin. And again my point isn’t only about pve and pvp, but also WvW who have nothing. And it’s not easy making a legendary if your a pver either. And whether you think this thread is productive or not is your own opinion. But if you plan on replying to threads your supposed to keep it on topic.

Your OP mentions nothing of this sort, you talk about Arah Dungeon skins.
Edit: and the new exclusive ones, but I still don’t get your BLTC skin comment.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I think the tournament idea is silly, but it’s their attempt to build an esport community, so /shrug.

I just want a Stalwart armor reward track.

In general I hate GW2 PVP, I think the downed state in PVP is just a dumb idea and just like conditions everywhere I think they’re handled poorly. But, even as much as I hate it, I’d be willing to play it if it had something I want. I’m just about done with the balthazar track for the backpiece (though I doubt I’ll ever use it)

They’re trying to promote different aspects of the game, if you don’t want to play it accept that you won’t get it.

I still have a hard time understanding how people can call PVP neglected though, I mean a $100k+ tournament coming up… if that’s neglect I don’t think I understand the definition correctly. Though I understand that throwing money at it doesn’t really mean they are fixing the issues with it… I’ve been a big PVPer in every other MMO i’ve played for the last 15 years just not a fan in this one.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Sujiro.3590

Sujiro.3590

The game is supposed to have different exclusive rewards for different game modes. PvPers still cant get a lot of LS skins. Besides, the whole patch is not even show yet. Why are you crying already?

Is it fair?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m pretty sure it is possible to get free transmutation stones by completing maps. Cities guarantee them. So, your comment is not really factual.

From the sound of this post, you feel playing PvP, win or lose, is not very difficult and is rewarding. So, play PvP, and be rewarded with the PvP-exclusive skin. Problem solved! =)

Is it fair?

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

Reward tracks are cool, unless you don’t craft, then you get a bunch of useless mats that you can’t sell or do anything with…. =(

(edited by Runewolf.8456)

Is it fair?

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

PvP and WvW have gotten the short end of the stick for a while, I don’t see them as being babied at all.

Now, is it fair that they can get the dungeon armor without doing the dungeons? Sure. It’s not like they aren’t doing anything for it. They still have to play their chosen mode. It’s not any different than strict pvpers obtaining pve skins via balth faction in GW1. Same concept.

Then why is it fair that there are (or rather will be again) PvP-only armors? Why wouldn’t there be a way for PvE plyers to work for it? And not by crafting, but by questing (as that should be the PvE way of getting stuff, not that mindless farming that is required at the moment…)

Is it fair?

Rouven.7409

Then why is it fair that there are (or rather will be again) PvP-only armors? Why wouldn’t there be a way for PvE plyers to work for it? And not by crafting, but by questing (as that should be the PvE way of getting stuff, not that mindless farming that is required at the moment…)

Well, we sort of had those as the meta achievement rewards, or at least that’s how I looked at it.

Is it fair?

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Considering that so far PvE has several skins that you just can’t get in PvP, like legendary weapons and all skins that were rewards from living story achievements (like Scarlet’s helm), I’d say yes, it is fair.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Is it fair?

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

I think people worry too much about flair.

FTFY

Is it fair?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

It’s just a skin.

Yes, the wardrobe must me filled, at all costs, but it can be done over time. You can wait.

They should simply release another armor after 5 years or so, and make that one into another normal PvP track. To signify that one can’t just get good and sit on their laurels forever, and that you must prove you are good again and again.

To tell you the truth, it annoys me more that you can’t get Tribal armor anymore since you could get it before, than not being able to get one armor for not playing competitively.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Is it fair?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I agree that dungeon and high end pve skins should only be gotten by playing the content. Likewise, I think that pvp exclusive stuff is also fine as well.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Yes, it’s fair.

You don’t get it, gear is just a tool, if you don’t know the boss tactics or when to dodge, gear won’t help you at all.

Plus, why does it matter if they can get armor/weapon skins by doing PvP ? It’s not like they are super unique to start with.

Is it fair?

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Don’t mean to barge in but,

As a top PvP player on the top NA team, I want to give my opinion on what ANET should have done.

I personally dislike the fact that PvP players too can get PvE armor from PvP. But they did it because there weren’t any exclusive armors for PvP anyway, which was/is the true problem. They should’ve made it so you have to PvE for certain skins, WvW for certain skins, and PvP for certain skins, and make certain skins more appealing depending on difficulty. I do think winning big tournaments should have the utmost best design considering its good for a competitive scene. But they should have nice designs for the hardest content in PvE as well and WvW. I hate that everyone looks the same for doing different content.

Just my 2 cents.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

Is it fair?

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Don’t mean to barge in but,

As a top PvP player on the top NA team, I want to give my opinion on what ANET should have done.

I personally dislike the fact that PvP players too can get PvE armor from PvP. But they did it because there weren’t any exclusive armors for PvP anyway, which was/is the true problem. They should’ve made it so you have to PvE for certain skins, WvW for certain skins, and PvP for certain skins, and make certain skins more appealing depending on difficulty. I do think winning big tournaments should have the utmost best design considering its good for a competitive scene. But they should have nice designs for the hardest content in PvE as well and WvW. I hate that everyone looks the same for doing different content.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree 10000% as someone who spends a majority of his time WvWing I’m still baffled WvW dose not have its own armor sets. I’m happy PvP gets one but I’m also sad at how much attention PvP has received compared to WvW.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

As a non-WvW player, I agree that there should be armor that you can buy exclusively with badges of honor.

Just please make it one set per armor weight, and not “platemail for all”.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No worse than Fractal weapons are to PvPers.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

PvPers should never have to step foot outside PvP if they do not wish to do so. The entire design of the game is meant to encourage play-your-way philosophies. It would actually be unfair if PvP players could not gain these sets by playing their mode.

WvW players really get the shaft though. Traits locked behind a pay-wall or mostly-PvE content. The legendary process requires PvE exploration and dungeon tokens (unless you just buy one). And that’s ignoring that WvW has been the red-headed step-child of Anet’s game modes – barely receives any develop support. Like, in 2 years, they’ve received WvW Skills and Edge of the Mists. Meanwhile, the mode barely functions thanks to a lack of developer support into the mode’s problems. It’s still little more than a mindless zerg fest with no built-in features to discourage 2v1 alliances.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

more ppl would pvp if it wasnt full of cheese builds and one boring game mode.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

People complaining about pvp-exclusive armor are forgetting about legendary weapons.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

People complaining about pvp-exclusive armor are forgetting about legendary weapons.

Won’t be PvE-exclusive in the future. They announced that they were working on a way to earn legendaries in pvp.

Is it fair?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Won’t be PvE-exclusive in the future. They announced that they were working on a way to earn legendaries in pvp.

Fractal weapons are PvE exclusive though.