It's been done now leave thanks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Focusing on those details make people more unsatisfied than they need to be.

You may be right there. I think I can agree to disagree on the details, and get back to running around in PvP and making my team lose because I suck.

(Sorry to all I team with, but I want that CoF armor and I can’t buy dungeon tokens with laurels, so you’re stuck with me.)

I hate to ask but why not just run CoF?

I don’t like doing team stuff.

I don’t much care for PvP either, but the matches are short and I can take it in small bites at least. And even if I suck in PvP, if anyone’s killing me then they’re not killing someone else on my team, right?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Focusing on those details make people more unsatisfied than they need to be.

You may be right there. I think I can agree to disagree on the details, and get back to running around in PvP and making my team lose because I suck.

(Sorry to all I team with, but I want that CoF armor and I can’t buy dungeon tokens with laurels, so you’re stuck with me.)

I hate to ask but why not just run CoF?

I don’t like doing team stuff.

I don’t much care for PvP either, but the matches are short and I can take it in small bites at least. And even if I suck in PvP, if anyone’s killing me then they’re not killing someone else on my team, right?

Ah okay. I don’t like the team stuff with pugs, but it’s fun to run dungeons with casual friends, while laughing and joking on mumble. Different strokes I guess.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

As long as people play mmorpgs like full time jobs, there will never be enough endgame for them.

Except, possibly, PvP. If the foundations of PvP are really good, people can get huge amounts of time out of it without unrealistic amounts of developer input.

Developers will never, however, be able to keep enough content coming into a game to meet the demand of players burning through it 30, 40, or 60 hours a week. The only way to keep those people hooked is forcing ridiculous amounts of repetition for rewards (through currency systems or RNG), but even that wears out over time.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Still no answer? But I enjoyed our discussion

There’s not much to say. I didn’t end up killing Liadri, because I didn’t really like the setup. I don’t play MMOs to solo mostly anyway, and sitting there, waiting my turn to get to Liadri was not all that interesting to me. I’d love to have the minipet. I’m sure I could have beaten her if I banged away at it, but the reward wasn’t worth me doing something annoying. Particularly because latency where I am is such that it would make it harder for me than someone who actually saw where they were.

Anet didn’t tell us much, so I don’t think they’re hiding stuff. If they didn’t have reason to change the early game, they wouldn’t have changed it. I mean it’s a lot of work. Obviously they thought it was necessary. I feel I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I don’t really expect them to consult me on major decisions….or at all for that matter.

I believe the test was done in the west, because I help people in starter zones quite frequently and I see the questions people ask and how confused they are. This isn’t some random thing that happens to a couple of people. People really don’t have a clue what’s going on, and I’ve seen several people ready to give up because of it. I don’t see why anyone would think otherwise.

On liadri, I’m not sure about NA servers, but I often could find empty arenas on EU to complete it.

On other changes: anet had to make changes to launch their game in china. The games are quite different there , and they play their games quite differently. I even read about a dev’s opinion when people discussed about the new NPE ( If you want I can send you the link in PM ,but I don’t want to make trouble for that dev by posting it here) . We know anet has been busy with the chinese launch at that time, which means they had to work on something. Probably not on localization, since that’s not an average devs job ,but on something that affects the game. We know most of the september feature pack was already available on the east ( Global guilds, crafting backs, NPE , not sure about the rest) which means those were ready before april. When I say I think the NPE changes were made to make the game eligible for the chinese launch I’m just connecting dots .

But these changes don’t really affect me, so I try to not care. But what I really care about is the company policy and the living story not being up to bar. Like I said, just by numbers, anet could produce maps, dungeons etc much faster rate prior to launch . Since Living story doesn’t provide that amount of content what will? And about the company policy… why? The only reason I could imagine for this kind of policy is because there is nothing in the background to talk about , to keep people dreaming, hoping they will stay .

Vayne.8563

Still no answer? But I enjoyed our discussion

There’s not much to say. I didn’t end up killing Liadri, because I didn’t really like the setup. I don’t play MMOs to solo mostly anyway, and sitting there, waiting my turn to get to Liadri was not all that interesting to me. I’d love to have the minipet. I’m sure I could have beaten her if I banged away at it, but the reward wasn’t worth me doing something annoying. Particularly because latency where I am is such that it would make it harder for me than someone who actually saw where they were.

Anet didn’t tell us much, so I don’t think they’re hiding stuff. If they didn’t have reason to change the early game, they wouldn’t have changed it. I mean it’s a lot of work. Obviously they thought it was necessary. I feel I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I don’t really expect them to consult me on major decisions….or at all for that matter.

I believe the test was done in the west, because I help people in starter zones quite frequently and I see the questions people ask and how confused they are. This isn’t some random thing that happens to a couple of people. People really don’t have a clue what’s going on, and I’ve seen several people ready to give up because of it. I don’t see why anyone would think otherwise.

On liadri, I’m not sure about NA servers, but I often could find empty arenas on EU to complete it.

On other changes: anet had to make changes to launch their game in china. The games are quite different there , and they play their games quite differently. I even read about a dev’s opinion when people discussed about the new NPE ( If you want I can send you the link in PM ,but I don’t want to make trouble for that dev by posting it here) . We know anet has been busy with the chinese launch at that time, which means they had to work on something. Probably not on localization, since that’s not an average devs job ,but on something that affects the game. We know most of the september feature pack was already available on the east ( Global guilds, crafting backs, NPE , not sure about the rest) which means those were ready before april. When I say I think the NPE changes were made to make the game eligible for the chinese launch I’m just connecting dots .

But these changes don’t really affect me, so I try to not care. But what I really care about is the company policy and the living story not being up to bar. Like I said, just by numbers, anet could produce maps, dungeons etc much faster rate prior to launch . Since Living story doesn’t provide that amount of content what will? And about the company policy… why? The only reason I could imagine for this kind of policy is because there is nothing in the background to talk about , to keep people dreaming, hoping they will stay .

Company policy could be simple. You know they announce something and if they change it, the forum runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. Easier not to say anything. Particularly with regards to something like an expansion, you announce it when it makes sense to do so from a business point of view. Usually to combat what some other game is doing.

Rift went into a promo black out when SWToR was released. They realized they couldn’t advertise as much as EA so they didn’t waste money trying. They waited 3 months until people were annoyed with SWToR and then got a bunch of people to come back. It’s about timing a lot of the time.

No company can put out enough content to keep people busy anyway, particularly in a theme park MMO. However, it’s not just the living story. Drytop was pretty cool and I spent an awful lot of time there. So did many in my guild.

It’s like anything else. If you like the content you can get hours out of it. The Marionette fight was like that. If you liked it, you could do it a lot. If you didn’t like it, you had no content.

Scipio.3204

Company policy could be simple. You know they announce something and if they change it, the forum runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. Easier not to say anything. Particularly with regards to something like an expansion, you announce it when it makes sense to do so from a business point of view. Usually to combat what some other game is doing.

Rift went into a promo black out when SWToR was released. They realized they couldn’t advertise as much as EA so they didn’t waste money trying. They waited 3 months until people were annoyed with SWToR and then got a bunch of people to come back. It’s about timing a lot of the time.

No company can put out enough content to keep people busy anyway, particularly in a theme park MMO. However, it’s not just the living story. Drytop was pretty cool and I spent an awful lot of time there. So did many in my guild.

It’s like anything else. If you like the content you can get hours out of it. The Marionette fight was like that. If you liked it, you could do it a lot. If you didn’t like it, you had no content.

It’s one thing to say they are working on something and another when it will be ready. They said almost a year ago pre cursor crafting is coming and they tried to release it in half year, but when they couldn’t people went mad. On the other hand they’ve been saying new pvp modes incoming at least 1.5 year now, yet people don’t riot. My point is, they don’t have to say dates when they talk about something ,but people want to know what to expect. For example it is public information that blizzard is already working on the next expansion after the new hits. They really don’t need to go into details, some words could be enough. ( yet I feel like the term “expansion worth of content” is a bit overused by now and I wouldn’t take it for granted if they say that again)

And also sometimes I feel like it it’s not just the company policy, its like the devs choose not to talk about something. For example is the recent interview at gamescom about SAB/Dungeons. If that interview doesn’t happen would we ever know they are not working on SAB or dungeons?

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

As for the reward:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-make-the-world-more-interesting/first
This deals with the reward in normal PvE maps.

Dungeons should get a hardmode, where the story got cut out and the bosses get new and better mechanics which can react to skills or tactics being used. The reward for completing those dungeons should be more tokens, new skins and more fluff.
Furthermore, raids should be implemented. This is a topic on its own and I haven’t made up my mind how this could be implemented properly. But this is the direction I would go with this game.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

As for the reward:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-make-the-world-more-interesting/first

Dungeons should get a hardmode, where the story got cut out and the bosses get new and better mechanics which can react to skills or tactics being used. The reward for completing those dungeons should be more tokens, new skins and more fluff.
Furthermore, raids should be implemented. This is a topic on its own and I haven’t made up my mind how this could be implemented properly. But this is the direction I would go with this game.

There are problems with hardmode and dungeons specifically involving splitting the playerbase.

How would you encourage players to participate in non-hardmode dungeons so they are more accessible for newer players. Also this hard-mode should only aware achievements not new skins or other rewards. This is to not lock rewards to be un-obtainable for some players. If you can find a good way to not split the playerbase to exclude newer players I would love to hear your suggestion in the dungeon sub-forum!

The reason for the exclusion of hardmode is deliberate. In the later years normal mode parties for Guild Wars 1 was hard to come by. It was hard to find a party (even when starting your own) to play in normal mode.

Perhaps something that they can add is a hard-mode to a re-playable version of the personal story with the exclusion of the dungeons tied to the personal story. This will not necessarily split the playerbase as they are repeating content that is already there. In addition to that the content was designed to be done solo so you are not removing members from a party that a newer or less skilled player would otherwise encounter. I think this is what they were trying to do with the Living World Achievements.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

HHR LostProphet.4801

As for the reward:

There are problems with hardmode and dungeons specifically involving splitting the playerbase.

How would you encourage players to participate in non-hardmode dungeons so they are more accessible for newer players. If you can find a good way to not split the playerbase to exclude newer players I would love to hear your suggestion in “the dungeon subforum” :https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons~

The reason for the exclusion of hardmode is deliberate. In the later years normal mode parties for Guild Wars 1 was hard to come by. It was hard to find a party (even when starting your own) to play in normal mode.

Perhaps something that they can add is a hard-mode to a re-playable version of the personal story with the exclusion of the dungeons tied to the personal story. This will not necessarily split the playerbase as they are repeating content that is already there. In addition to that the content was designed to be done solo so you are not removing members from a party that a newer or less skilled player would otherwise encounter. I think this is what they were trying to do with the Living World Achievements.

The normal mode should be easier with less reward. It should be that easy, that normal players have no problem completing it.
The playerbase will always be split. Some people want easy runs to see everything while others want hardcore runs with lots of reward. You can’t please both parties with just one type. I don’t expect the “normal mode” dungeons to be popular, but they should be easy enough, so that new players can convince guildies to help them with those normal runs.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

anzenketh.3759

As for the reward:

How would you encourage players to participate in non-hardmode dungeons so they are more accessible for newer players. If you can find a good way to not split the playerbase to exclude newer players I would love to hear your suggestion in “the dungeon subforum” :https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons~

The normal mode should be easier with less reward. It should be that easy, that normal players have no problem completing it.

I think you are over-estimating the population of “Normal players” in dungeons. You will still split the playerbase to the point where eventually you will have no normal players to play with newer players. Also rewarding hard mode more would make it so that “Normal Players” that would normally help newer players would not want to do so as it is less rewarding.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

As for the reward:

Furthermore, raids should be implemented.

And also strip ALL rewards from the open world, since open world players are simply
sooo bad they don’t earn rewards .. only dungeons / raids are real content that
should give rewards .. right ?

Even if many open world bosses already had better mechanisms than dungeon bosses,
but only dungeons are the real game .. everything else is garbage.

Maybe every loot that somebody gets in the open world should simply be teleportet
directly to a random person inside a dungeon .. because he earns it .. since he is actually
in a dungeon … even if he is AFK.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

HHR LostProphet.4801

As for the reward:

I think you are over-estimating the population of “Normal players” in dungeons. You will still split the playerbase to the point where eventually you will have no normal players to play with newer players. Also rewarding hard mode more would make it so that “Normal Players” that would normally help newer players would not want to do so as it is less rewarding.

Hardmode dungeons should be the endgame, the most challenging place. I don’t expect many casuals to do those dungeons, but If they do, they should’ve already done all the other content. The hardmode should be like fractal50 challenge-wise.

anzenketh.3759

As for the reward:

Hardmode dungeons should be the endgame, the most challenging place. I don’t expect many casuals to do those dungeons, but If they do, they should’ve already done all the other content. The hardmode should be like fractal50 challenge-wise.

I just don’t see a way hardmode for dungeons can be implemented that would not split the player-base. If you have a idea on this matter I am more then willing to listen. Until that problem is resolved I do not think that hardmode is a good idea and agree with ArenaNet’s current stance on this matter.

We currently have fractals for endgame and the most challenging place. I have also seen effects to where it has split the playerbase. What is wrong with them? Why do you want to add dungeons to the mix.

anzenketh.3759

I have absolutely no problem with rewarding people with more content that is more difficult. I do have a problem with creating a situation where newer players would not be able to play large sections of the game long term. Creating a hardmode for dungeons will do this. It has happened in the past with Guild Wars 1.

If you think that there is a problem with rewards and fractals I would say that is a valid argument and a discussion that should happen on how it should be improved.

I also personally think that the current state of dungeons is meh. There is no failure mechanic for them. I am formulating a idea to introduce a optional failure mechanic that might be a good replacement for hardmode.

HHR LostProphet.4801

As for the reward:

I just don’t see a way hardmode for dungeons can be implemented that would not split the player-base. If you have a idea on this matter I am more then willing to listen. Until that problem is resolved I do not think that hardmode is a good idea and agree with ArenaNet’s current stance on this matter.

We currently have fractals for endgame and the most challenging place. I have also seen effects to where it has split the playerbase. What is wrong with them? Why do you want to add dungeons to the mix.

I want to split the playerbase because I think it carries less flaws than content that has to be accessible for all players.
How do you want to create more challenging and rewarding content and enable casuals to also be able to complete this content? It’s not possible.
I don’t suggest to lock players out of content. Each “hardcore” content should have a “casual” counterpart, so that casuals can experience the content easier but with less reward as downside.
The reward for hardcore runs however should be unique. The reward could be like Pristine Fractal Relics, while the reward for casual runs should be like Fractal Relics.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Dungeons are not the focus of the team. It’s all about living story right now.

anzenketh.3759

@HHR LostProphet then we will not agree. Nor do I see ArenaNet implementing anything that will over time make it so that it is extremely difficult for any player to play the “Casual Mode” even as a byproduct.

I do agree that dungeons could use some more work especially in terms of stacking and actual challenge and restricting the ability to skip content. I disagree in unique rewards with the exception of titles and achievement points.

Nothing will change my mind on these two points.

1. Content should always be accessible to new players. The participation in said content should be populated by both new players and veterans alike as veterans are players who teach new players. The stability of said population should stay stable relative to the population of the game itself. Any hard mode that eats away at said population should not be implemented.
  2. Skill based rewards are fine. As long as they are limited to titles and achievements. Any player should be able to say I want this item reward and be able to obtain it. Some players just will not get to the point to where they can do harder content. If rewards are restricted to a mode of play. Players should be rewarded for failure. Success should only speed the progress of the reward (see PvP reward tracks).

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

As for the reward:

How would you encourage players to participate in non-hardmode dungeons so they are more accessible for newer players. Also this hard-mode should only aware achievements not new skins or other rewards. This is to not lock rewards to be un-obtainable for some players. If you can find a good way to not split the playerbase to exclude newer players I would love to hear your suggestion in the dungeon sub-forum!

the playerbase is already split into little 5 man groups. There will always be many people who cant/dont want to do hard things. The reward for hard mode should be more of something/better chance at it. This way you can choose between slow and steady, or Hardmode which is faster when done well(perhaps a small cosmetic upgrade to something). Guild wars 2 had hardmodes, and they had people doing both, i dont think having better rewards will force people out of normal mode, Only the people who want a challenge.

that said, i would not reccomend reworks over new content at this stage, they have had to little new content for too long already. They have to begin focusing on new content at this stage if they want to continue to prosper.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

First of all, thank you. If I can get even you to agree with it, then I’m pretty sure that means I’ve won at least my original point. We may not agree on when the end game starts, but we do agree it’s not at level 1.

Did endgame really start at level 1 before ?

We did not have all of our traits, skills, etc at level 1 before (or at least I didn’t). I don’t think I ever even got out of the tutorial/starter instance without being at least level 2.

anzenketh.3759

No I don’t think people should be babied. I believe there should be challenge in the game but that challenge does not always have to be difficult.

Also the prohibiting factor I am talking about in #1 is not necessarily a skill but a community one. If the majority of people requesting harder content with unique rewards were more accepting of newer players and played easier content with not for the reward but to help newer players learn I would be more willing to budge on #1. But alas I doubt that to be the case. Nor do I think it is anyone responsibility to do so.

The game should be difficult enough that it is challenging for the majority of the playerbase. Right now I do not think that is the case.

I have said my piece if you disagree that is fine. I think my opinion should be well understood now and I doubt any further discussion on this matter from me would be fruitful. I will answer clarifications on my opinion however I will not debate/discuss it any longer.

Palador.2170

Clearly Anet will soon have more regular free weekends, or a refer a friend thing and they want people to stay with the game. They tested this and this is what works.

Latest patch notes:

Bug Fix:

• Configured free trial accounts to block access to World vs. World maps (Eternal Battlegrounds, Borderlands maps, and Obsidian Sanctum). Free trial players may still enter the Edge of the Mists.

Looks like you were right on this one. They wouldn’t patch that and just that if it wasn’t about to become very important very soon.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

well strictly speaking Arenanet’s message was never there i no endgame rather, end game starts at level 1.

I think the NPE safely puts that line to rest.

I dont really like the new changes at least on paper, have yet to try them but I still dont see how NPE means endgame doesnt start at level 1!

I mean what is it you will be doing now between level 1 – 15 that you will not be doing at level 80? its still dynamic events, exploring etc.. NPE didnt change anything … well correction, it did simplify some events no more feeding cows… but not to a degree that it changed gameplay. it just slowed down skill acquisition thats not changing how a game plays.

Really? That’s really how you see it?

So, you don’t see builds as part of endgame, then? Waiting until level 11 to start on that wasn’t so bad, but now you can’t even LOOK at the traits screen until you’re level 30. Are you telling me that you don’t see traits as an important part of the endgame?

There’s this class I like. Rangers. I have a few of them. You know what I spend a lot of my time on them doing? Keeping an eye out for any pets I may come across that I’ve not gotten with them yet. Guess what they removed from the low level areas. Yep, new pets. I guess Rangers having the right pets isn’t part of their endgame?

New players can’t even face skill challenges and start building up (very useful) skill points until.. level 12, right? I kind of thought end game called for skills, and maybe even some of the things you need skill points to buy or unlock.

You know what you have at level 1? An auto attack, and a heal. TWO skills. Do you know what you don’t have? The ability to improve yourself in any way, save by clearing the instance. You can’t gain more skills, or better loot, or anything until you level. And they reinforced that by pushing everything else further away from level 1. This is the very opposite of “Endgame starts at level 1”. This is “Gaining levels is the most important thing you can do”. All the new unlocks and rewards on level-up just reinforce that.

I kind of feel bad for the new players that will rush up in levels, thinking that there’s some awesome unlock awaiting them at the end. I guess Grand Master traits and Living Story are going to have to make do.

You still unlock a skill every level so you’re still building up your build every level. Just cause its now slower it doesnt make it different.

As for traits sure now you get your first tier at level 30 instead of level 11. Of course one should note now level 1 – 15 is substantially faster then it was before but sure you will still get it a bit further in the game then you did previously. Does that change the way you play the game?

Pets, once again.. how exactly does time change anything ? you’re looking for pets fine. You didnt find a pet just the second you started playing you had to wonder about for I dont know say 10 minutes to run across your first pet, that now it takes you I dont know say 2hrs changes what you’re doing at end game?

Before these NPE changes in terms of what you mentioned you still started the game looking to unlock skills, gain, pets, get traits. What are you doing differently now? the fact it takes longer doesnt change anything!

have no idea when skills challenges unlock sorry.

hmm I am confused. First you argue leveling up is the most important thing to do, then you said reaching max level changes nothing essentially. Which one is it? Fact is while leveling up you’ll be improving yourself by unlocking stuff. When you get to max level you’ll have more stuff you can unlock giving you more horizontal progression. There is no way to unlock all skills, all traits by max level which in my books is good.

Vayne.8563

It’s one thing to say they are working on something and another when it will be ready. They said almost a year ago pre cursor crafting is coming and they tried to release it in half year, but when they couldn’t people went mad. On the other hand they’ve been saying new pvp modes incoming at least 1.5 year now, yet people don’t riot. My point is, they don’t have to say dates when they talk about something ,but people want to know what to expect. For example it is public information that blizzard is already working on the next expansion after the new hits. They really don’t need to go into details, some words could be enough. ( yet I feel like the term “expansion worth of content” is a bit overused by now and I wouldn’t take it for granted if they say that again)

And also sometimes I feel like it it’s not just the company policy, its like the devs choose not to talk about something. For example is the recent interview at gamescom about SAB/Dungeons. If that interview doesn’t happen would we ever know they are not working on SAB or dungeons?

I’m not actually arguing that doesn’t play their cards too close to their chests. I made a thread about it. But announcing an expansion is different. That’s gold and has to be timed by the company.

The problem is, if an expansion is what they’re planning, they can’t talk about it, until NCsoft gives the go ahead. That’s why I think that’s what they’re doing.

Vayne.8563

Clearly Anet will soon have more regular free weekends, or a refer a friend thing and they want people to stay with the game. They tested this and this is what works.

Latest patch notes:

Bug Fix:

• Configured free trial accounts to block access to World vs. World maps (Eternal Battlegrounds, Borderlands maps, and Obsidian Sanctum). Free trial players may still enter the Edge of the Mists.

Looks like you were right on this one. They wouldn’t patch that and just that if it wasn’t about to become very important very soon.

It’s logical. There’s not reason to put in an NPE without actually having NPs. lol

On that topic my old friend who couldn’t get into the game tried it again. He’s level 10 now and he thinks the game is addictive now. Last time, he didn’t have any desire to play it again…he got up to about level 5.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

First of all, thank you. If I can get even you to agree with it, then I’m pretty sure that means I’ve won at least my original point. We may not agree on when the end game starts, but we do agree it’s not at level 1.

We did not have all of our traits, skills, etc at level 1 before (or at least I didn’t). I don’t think I ever even got out of the tutorial/starter instance without being at least level 2.

I think people are getting lost on a lot of technicalities here. In real terms end game what you do at the end of the game. When Arenanet said end game starts at level 1, they didnt mean hey at level 1 you reached the end of the game, clearly thats not the case, there is still 80 levels to go. What they meant was unlike your typical MMOs were you have distinct phases, leveling up consisting of doing quests, killing mobs whatever and then at end game its all about doing dailies, repeating dungeon / raids to get to the next tier of gear which will then be rinse and repeat just with bigger numbers in Gw2 you have exactly the same type of game play from level 1 to level 80 and beyond.

Dynamic events, Jumping puzzles, Dungeons, world bosses, whatever game play you enjoy. It starts at level 1, doesnt change once you hit max level.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I think people are getting lost on a lot of technicalities here. In real terms end game what you do at the end of the game. When Arenanet said end game starts at level 1, they didnt mean hey at level 1 you reached the end of the game, clearly thats not the case, there is still 80 levels to go. What they meant was unlike your typical MMOs were you have distinct phases, leveling up consisting of doing quests, killing mobs whatever and then at end game its all about doing dailies, repeating dungeon / raids to get to the next tier of gear which will then be rinse and repeat just with bigger numbers in Gw2 you have exactly the same type of game play from level 1 to level 80 and beyond.

Dynamic events, Jumping puzzles, Dungeons, world bosses, whatever game play you enjoy. It starts at level 1, doesnt change once you hit max level.

In the end it was more or less that at low levels you just don’t have to kill some rats
like in many other MMOs but you already had some huge monsters like Issomir
already in the tutorial.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

There are those people looking for an interesting mechanic, challenging mechanics, new mechanics. From basic event-mechanics to complicated worldboss-mechanics. They wont find any interesting mechanics for the very most time in GW2.
There are the people playing for the reward. They too wont be very satisfied. The most eficient way to get gold, the dominating reward, is by far to flip the traiding post. There is almost no special or meaningful loot dedicated to specific game types.

This is the discussion that we should be having. Not the discussion on if anything has/has not been added to the game. I can understand how some people based upon the issues you raised come to the conclusion that there is no “endgame”. Except that is not true. There is endgame depending on how you define it. I define endgame as things you can do when you complete the personal story and reach level 80. There is plenty of that.

So instead of claiming that there is no endgame. Perhaps we should be discussing on how to improve the endgame that we have. I honestly think that is the point that a lot of people are trying to make.

My recommendation find the boss mechanics that you like in game and ask for more similar to that. There is a wide variety of event and boss mechanics in the game.

If it is rewards that you are looking for. Post a suggestion on how you would like to be rewarded.

I agree with you. Suggestions would be wonderful: Practical, reasonably expressed, and clear. Here’s the challenge, and we’ll see if it’s possible and reasonable: Share your opinion about how to improve the end game in (roughly) 100 words or less.

I’d like to see this because I believe the effort could increase the value and focus of this thread. Doing so would give the devs a concise resource that they could evaluate, and that’s always helpful to them.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

There are those people looking for an interesting mechanic, challenging mechanics, new mechanics. From basic event-mechanics to complicated worldboss-mechanics. They wont find any interesting mechanics for the very most time in GW2.
There are the people playing for the reward. They too wont be very satisfied. The most eficient way to get gold, the dominating reward, is by far to flip the traiding post. There is almost no special or meaningful loot dedicated to specific game types.

This is the discussion that we should be having. Not the discussion on if anything has/has not been added to the game. I can understand how some people based upon the issues you raised come to the conclusion that there is no “endgame”. Except that is not true. There is endgame depending on how you define it. I define endgame as things you can do when you complete the personal story and reach level 80. There is plenty of that.

So instead of claiming that there is no endgame. Perhaps we should be discussing on how to improve the endgame that we have. I honestly think that is the point that a lot of people are trying to make.

My recommendation find the boss mechanics that you like in game and ask for more similar to that. There is a wide variety of event and boss mechanics in the game.

If it is rewards that you are looking for. Post a suggestion on how you would like to be rewarded.

I agree with you. Suggestions would be wonderful: Practical, reasonably expressed, and clear. Here’s the challenge, and we’ll see if it’s possible and reasonable: Share your opinion about how to improve the end game in (roughly) 100 words or less.

I’d like to see this because I believe the effort could increase the value and focus of this thread. Doing so would give the devs a concise resource that they could kitten, and that’s always helpful to them.

Add new, instanced, group content.

This may include: New PvP types. New dungeons. New “elite” dungeons. Guild Halls. GvG.

IOW: Lots of the good “meat” of GW1 that this game is missing.

Edit: All of the above content is interpersonal. Zergs are not. Open world is not necessarily. Small social content encourages players to log on and interact with their friends.

I think that’s under 100.

(edited by Nevets Crimsonwing.5271)

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I’d like to see this because I believe the effort could increase the value and focus of this thread. Doing so would give the devs a concise resource that they could kitten, and that’s always helpful to them.

Now this looks more like it.

Palador.2170

Here’s the challenge, and we’ll see if it’s possible and reasonable: Share your opinion about how to improve the end game in (roughly) 100 words or less.

We need challenges suited for both large groups and solo players, that shift and change depending upon both player actions and hidden variables so they don’t play out the same every time. Both types should be able to work towards better rewards, with even small gains always possible. It should be open to more than just “endgame” level 80s. The attack on LA was a good step towards this.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

The end game for me is pressing f12 and logging out with a sickening feeling in my stomach that GW2 turned out to be something I unload every morning into my toliet. Then I getting happy clicking on Glyph and opening up ArcheAge where I feel more immersed in a Korean “Cash-Grab” MMO than I ever did in GW2’s hollowed out “story” and quest system.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Add new, instanced, group content.

This may include: New PvP types. New dungeons. New “elite” dungeons. Guild Halls. GvG.

IOW: Lots of the good “meat” of GW1 that this game is missing.

Edit: All of the above content is interpersonal. Zergs are not. Open world is not necessarily. Small social content encourages players to log on and interact with their friends.

I think that’s under 100.

That’s what I’m looking for. Thank you!

And pssst: I’m not doing a word count. You’re good.

We need challenges suited for both large groups and solo players, that shift and change depending upon both player actions and hidden variables so they don’t play out the same every time. Both types should be able to work towards better rewards, with even small gains always possible. It should be open to more than just “endgame” level 80s. The attack on LA was a good step towards this.

Interesting. Thank you, too!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

@ gaile , you are respected from gw1 coming as a frog in lions arch , many gw1 vets respect you , the thing is gw2 is nothing like gw1 and thats the problem

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I’d like to see this because I believe the effort could increase the value and focus of this thread. Doing so would give the devs a concise resource that they could evaluate, and that’s always helpful to them.

My #1 suggestion is to revert the trait changes and replace with endgame skill hunting and new weapon types.
My #2 suggestion is to add a customizable companion system to use with replayable instanced story content, with fun companion rewards for using them in stories.
My #3 suggestion is to add more new maps and small group content with unique cosmetic rewards (I’m sure this is what most people are looking for).

I have some others, but those I think are the most significant.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Here’s the challenge, and we’ll see if it’s possible and reasonable: Share your opinion about how to improve the end game in (roughly) 100 words or less.

Make playing in mid-level zones almost as rewarding for a level 80 character as playing in level 80 zones (or explorables or “world bosses”). Tyria is a beautiful world full of hundreds of DEs that reward a pittance compared to farming level 80 zones. Remove my need to choose between pursuing endgame goals or doing a huge amount of the content.

In 104 words, I don’t have space to detail it, but there have been many ideas on the forums for how to do this without creating new “champ train” like farms and wiping out the populations doing world bosses, dungeons, and Orr Temples.

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

This suggestion may not be popular with the team, but most of the coolest weapon skins and features come from the gem store. The ambrite weapon set is very pretty and the method for obtaining them was easy. But both the chaos set and the ley line set blew them out of the water, so the impact was felt less.

People complaining about rewards want a way to get amazing, account bound skins solely within the game through achievements or reward chests. Or if it’s faster, even the black lion skins, actually. One or two new legendary skins would excite people also.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

My #1 suggestion is to revert the trait changes and replace with endgame skill hunting and new weapon types.
My #2 suggestion is to add a customizable companion system to use with replayable instanced story content, with fun companion rewards for using them in stories.
My #3 suggestion is to add more new maps and small group content with unique cosmetic rewards (I’m sure this is what most people are looking for).

I have some others, but those I think are the most significant.

All of these would be amazing. Why not be able to go into dungeons or fractals with 2 people and 3 henchmen and have it designed to scale accordingly, or even solo with henchman and make each versions rewards unique. Too much content geared too specifically and it’s a waste. That said final request large new areas to explore and real reasons to explore them.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

As i see those people looking for endgame, and cant find it, are in fact looking for a content that is more challenging AND more rewarding at the same time.

• Dungeons:
    For me, Aetherpath is a good endgame, because it’s challenging (anti-stacking mechanics) and rewarding (tradeable skin unique to this path). I couldn’t find both of these in any other dungeons.
    Also, dungeon rewards should be rebalanced from the end chest to cover the whole dungeon, so even those who fail/repeat-to-farm/keep trying to finish the dungeon are rewarded, so they are encouraged to try again, and not to skip mobs. e.g. Giant Eyes should have increased drop rate from mobs in Arah.
  • Open world: I’d like to see more mini-dungeons like the Flame Legion Tombs/Rhendak.
  • PvP: faith in new game modes.
  • WvW: Make towers, keeps, castles’ walls drop materials/collectibles unique to each objective, which are needed for various Mystic Forge recipes for improved traps/blueprints/tricks/buffs/armors/weapons.

Sorry for being over 100 words, but tried to cover everything

(edited by sMihaly.1492)

anzenketh.3759

A challenge to keep it under 100 words. I accept.

Continue improving the living story. The developing story is what keeps a lot of players logging in every two weeks. But also work on expansions.

Pre-cursor crafting needs to be implemented. Most players that I talk to that are discontent about the economy or the game have attempted to get a legendary and failed. It is a moving target. They need a more stable one. It should also be a journey.

The monster AI needs to be improved to prevent stacking and issue more of a challenge and hopefully use more support and control to overcome encounters.

Suggestion is 97 Words.

wwwes.1398

Perhaps it’s cheating to offer a second suggestion after the first one to get around the 100 words limit, but keep doing the sort of thing you did in Nebo Terrace and the living story open world events to add more loot and offer reward chests. Some of the revamps might be slightly too high on the difficulty scale (Nebo/champ Modrem are unforgiving), but look how popular Coiled Watch became in such a short period.

Similarly, finding ways to reimplement some of the discarded events from Season One would be a popular notion, I think.

(edited by wwwes.1398)

Scipio.3204

Alright, I’ll try.

There is no challenge in anything after two years, you can pretty much complete everyting on autopilot.(PvE side) Also the fractal rewards, especially on high levels doesn’t reward you as much as they should. (And after a while rings/duplicate weapons are useless)
If feel like WvW/PvP is getting neglected , PvP side is lacking after the size of GW1 PvP and WvW still has problems since launch ( Achievement numbers, PPT problems etc.)
Also there should be other ways to add content to the game other than living story. For example, when people say they want underworld and anet decides to release it, (Just an example) you can’t release it through feature patch ,since its not content patch and you can’t release it through living story since it doesn’t fit.

Tried to cut it short

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I would like to have our actions actually be reflected in the world over time.

IE. Zhaitan is dead, over time (2-3 years) we should see fewer risen in the game.
If certain events aren’t done then we get a spontaneous raid event related to it such as if we don’t do the centaur events in Kessex then a large group raids Queensdale. Or vice versa if over farmed.

Maybe tie this into a meta map system similar to what Dry top has so people realize it’s going on?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Make another Dungeon like Arah.

5 words, yay!

OK, I’ll add since that’s not likely. I’d like a new reward system in fractals, and the opportunity to pick what we do. There are some I like and some I do not. The ones I do not often lead to me not doing fractals for a while because they just turn me off the entire thing… I hate the RNG. The rewards could be scaled on popularity to keep people running everything, mai trin worth a bit, swamp not that much. (Fire shaman is my favorite but rarely see it).

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Torsailr.8456

Alright, I’ll try.

There is no challenge in anything after two years,

Hmm, hardcore mode? If the character dies, it’s gone for good. Can not WP back to life, can not be rezzed from full dead(dead, not downed). If the character has any rare or better equipment it gets auto-sent to the mail box, otherwise it’s deleted along with the character. Make a new char and start over.

How far can you make it on one life?

Torsailr.8456

Expand crafting to allow players to pick and choose stats and appearance.

Maybe I really like the hilt from greatsword A but hate the blade, but greatsword B has an awesome blade. Let me try to combine the two and make a new skin.

Modeling/texturing would need a complete overhaul I imagine and thus would never happen. But so worth it!

wwwes.1398

Alright, I’ll try.

There is no challenge in anything after two years,

Hmm, hardcore mode? If the character dies, it’s gone for good. Can not WP back to life, can not be rezzed from full dead(dead, not downed). If the character has any rare or better equipment it gets auto-sent to the mail box, otherwise it’s deleted along with the character. Make a new char and start over.

How far can you make it on one life?

Could make it slightly LESS high-stakes and just make that character locked out of the game for the next 4 hours. This idea sounds crazy, but sometimes crazy ideas are fun.

Torsailr.8456

Allow players to create their own outfits and sell them on TP. I create my custom look based on skins I have. Bundle it, save it as an outfit, then sell on TP. Buyer can use it as an outfit, but doesn’t get the individual skins used to make it. Instant new market on the TP.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Dungeons are not the focus of the team. It’s all about living story right now.

Just wanted to comment on this…

Living Story Missions aren’t like dungeons (group-play required) but those missions can be played in groups of 5 as well as alone.

Imho this scaling would feel great for regular dungeons as well. Don’t have 5 guys? Just go in there with your friend and experience it as well. Other games did this with dungeons (I remember LotRO) and had a lot of success with these modes.

I would love to see future dungeons be like that: really challenging for 5 players but also viable for small teams / solo players (for all the players who don’t like team content – quite a few). I know some people are soloing dungeons too, but this is hardly what I’m talking about since it takes a while to complete a dungeon without skipping most content.

This could also be a way hardmodes are introduced. If you’re alone/ with one friend you can switch from normal to hard-mode (having less hp, enemies do more damage,…). Skillful play is required and after 5 tries the dungeon gets reset.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Scipio.3204

Alright, I’ll try.

There is no challenge in anything after two years, you can pretty much complete everyting on autopilot.(PvE side) Also the fractal rewards, especially on high levels doesn’t reward you as much as they should. (And after a while rings/duplicate weapons are useless)
If feel like WvW/PvP is getting neglected , PvP side is lacking after the size of GW1 PvP and WvW still has problems since launch ( Achievement numbers, PPT problems etc.)
Also there should be other ways to add content to the game other than living story. For example, when people say they want underworld and anet decides to release it, (Just an example) you can’t release it through feature patch ,since its not content patch and you can’t release it through living story since it doesn’t fit.

Tried to cut it short

I also realised I posted mostly problems, not improvements. Let me try again.

- A new, elite area, with hard-earned ,unique skins (sellable)
- GW1 GvG tournament system (With ratings and rankings)
- Make ascended rings salvageable , rework fractal rewards
- make our home instance reflect our accomplishements
- give more support on guild missions for small guilds
- Big reward on full world completion
- content delivery beside living story for reasons stated above

Gonna add more to this list but I’m in a hurry now

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This is really, really good stuff. Sure, it’s all over the map — that’s expected. I don’t know that even in time we’d see “Yes, we all want [this one thing] most of all.” But really, thank you for posting your thoughts. Keep ’em coming!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet