It's been less than 3 months and...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

In the constant zones I would allow pc characters to versus one another (this could maybe be done by clicking on a player nearby and asking if he wants to combat). There could also be rewards for this, or restrictions imposed if you do it without permission. I don’t believe in ‘not allowing’ these things to happen, because that isn’t realistic.

Whoa, whoa, wait, wait, wait.

One of your first threads (now deleted) on this forum was complaining about virtual animal rights, how wrong it was that we can kill the innocent animals and they should all be marked green. Now you turn around and say we should be able to gank other players without their permission because it would be realistic?

Ok,

So, say for example you are in a town and I come in and hit you with my sword. Before I am allowed to initiate a second attack, you will be given two choices (perhaps more?) by the computer:

1. Engage in combat. Earn points for each successful hit and for a win.

2. Refuse to engage in combat. You do not earn any points. I am notified of your choice. If I ignore it and attack you again Ascalon guards would come and arrest me and I will be put in jail for a period of time. Perhaps I could also lose some money, who knows. But you won’t be killed or affected by my second hit. Or if you are capable of being killed that would be really funny… I’m sure there’s ways around this to make everyone happy.

3. Complain to the army that you are being hassled. If you were in ‘combat’ mode and you choose this option, you may lose points. I am notified of your choice and delivered a warning from the guards which I had better follow.

Sound good?

Eve online uses this bait and switch system, it´s called ninja ganking there and is made with cans where goods are dropped in. The attacker attempts to steal the can and gets flaged as attackable. A newbie does not know about this and attacks the attacker because he sees that he steals from him and believes that law is on his side. but the veteran ganker can gank him effortlessly and within the law because he shot at the other guy first. An utterly disgusting tactic if you ask me, but people love it there because most of them are frankly no lifers and maybe RL morons too who have issues they can only give it out in a computer game.

Your idea is still much more reasonable than everything I have ever heard from gankers, OP. Most just want to gank untouched by police forces, but you would at least go to jail for your actions.

Throw in a flag that would show that I am not interested in open PvP which warrants an instant visit to jail once you hit me, and this could actually work.^^

Lol.

Actually, I think the only reasonable way it could be implemented in gw (not that they ever will) is to have the option to click on someone and invite to pvp. If they agree then fair battle. If they say no, then that’s it. Also option to ‘not be clickable’.

Everything in gw is so balanced, lol.

Posted by: Skyworn.5920

Skyworn.5920

This thread gave me cancer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I do have an opinion, and only I can say whether it’s valid or not.

Imagine you were of the opinion that the Earth was flat <- I hope you see opinions have no inherent value and if you are given an opinion by a poorly educated person it has less value and can be declared invalid – this is the case with your poor understanding of GW1 and GW2.

You don’t let the inmates run the asylum and you don’t get to say if your opinon is worthy.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

You admitted in your thread a week ago that this game’s equipment/builds were too complicated for you to optimize or understand.

Now since that week, apparently you’ve gained mastery over the game and the MMORPG genre enough to be giving game design advice? Impressive!

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

You admitted in your thread a week ago that this game’s equipment/builds were too complicated for you to optimize or understand.

Now since that week, apparently you’ve gained mastery over the game and the MMORPG genre enough to be giving game design advice? Impressive!

Hi,

No I didn’t say those things.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Hi,

All quotes taken from your thread.

A lv13 revenant is doing more damage to a lv11 monster than a lv54 mesmer…
…and doing missions all over the map, and you can’t even kill a lv11 enemy quickly?
I should be able to kill that monster in 2 seconds.
Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins….
Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear
What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…
…relates DIRECTLY to my post is when I am being forced, without question, to be spoon-fed by a new game build
I am a new player, and I’m not ashamed of it. I won’t be levelling up my gear so often though, as I prefer to rush to level 80
I know this game has a lot of depth, but I’m the type of guy who prefers to get to the top level before investing in those things.
I’m just stumped that I can’t easily kill a level 5 monster
So, you’re saying I need a degree in game mechanics to be able to effectively ‘kill’ a low-level monster?

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Hi,

All quotes taken from your thread.

A lv13 revenant is doing more damage to a lv11 monster than a lv54 mesmer…
…and doing missions all over the map, and you can’t even kill a lv11 enemy quickly?
I should be able to kill that monster in 2 seconds.
Seriously, when I’m done with this game I’m giving it to my cousins….
Everyone is claiming that I need the right gear
What kind of perfection in build do I have to slave to create in order to be tougher than a level 13 character…
…relates DIRECTLY to my post is when I am being forced, without question, to be spoon-fed by a new game build
I am a new player, and I’m not ashamed of it. I won’t be levelling up my gear so often though, as I prefer to rush to level 80
I know this game has a lot of depth, but I’m the type of guy who prefers to get to the top level before investing in those things.
I’m just stumped that I can’t easily kill a level 5 monster
So, you’re saying I need a degree in game mechanics to be able to effectively ‘kill’ a low-level monster?

What does that prove?

Posted by: Arrk.4102

Arrk.4102

That you do not understand how gear, trait builds and downscaling work, which are really basic parts of the game.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There is a pretty big difference between not understanding design decisions and disagreeing with them.

Posted by: Mizu.4508

Mizu.4508

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been locked from the amount of arguing. OP, you are asking for our thoughts. I will state my opinion (doesn’t have to agree with yours, neither does yours have to agree with mine), my thoughts on the matter and perhaps a solution to the problem. Note that I will be focusing on the PvE part of the topic and not crafting as that is already a headache in itself.

Opinion: I just don’t think the PvE element in this game is right for you.

Thoughts: Its essentially the same as any other mmorpg with a few differences. Receive quest, go here, kill (or gather) x amount of y, return and receive your reward. In the case of Guild Wars 2, the major difference is that 1. You don’t have to travel far distances to complete the renown heart because each one is set up to be completed in areas nearby, 2. Its not very rewarding, there’s not much monetary gain when completing them , all you get is EXP (useless at level 80 with no HoT expansion), a silver or two (you could gather materials and make more than this) and karma (limited use). 3. ALL of them are optional. The only thing finishing renown hearts counts towards is world completion and an achievement that is tied to completing x amount of renown hearts (if I recall correctly). 100% Map completion rewards are decent though there are better ways to gain gold (if that is what you want) and 100% world completion is a joke of a reward which only gives you 1/12 of a legendary weapon.

Solution: the only thing I can recommend is that you explore the entire world of Tyria at least once (the scenery is nice in some places) and only completing renown hearts that might interest you. There is no real point in finishing all of them unless you want to make a legendary or if you are a completionist.

…or the other solution. Stay away from PvE and just play the game for PvP/WvW.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been locked from the amount of arguing. OP, you are asking for our thoughts. I will state my opinion (doesn’t have to agree with yours, neither does yours have to agree with mine), my thoughts on the matter and perhaps a solution to the problem. Note that I will be focusing on the PvE part of the topic and not crafting as that is already a headache in itself.

Opinion: I just don’t think the PvE element in this game is right for you.

Thoughts: Its essentially the same as any other mmorpg with a few differences. Receive quest, go here, kill (or gather) x amount of y, return and receive your reward. In the case of Guild Wars 2, the major difference is that 1. You don’t have to travel far distances to complete the renown heart because each one is set up to be completed in areas nearby, 2. Its not very rewarding, there’s not much monetary gain when completing them , all you get is EXP (useless at level 80 with no HoT expansion), a silver or two (you could gather materials and make more than this) and karma (limited use). 3. ALL of them are optional. The only thing finishing renown hearts counts towards is world completion and an achievement that is tied to completing x amount of renown hearts (if I recall correctly). 100% Map completion rewards are decent though there are better ways to gain gold (if that is what you want) and 100% world completion is a joke of a reward which only gives you 1/12 of a legendary weapon.

Solution: the only thing I can recommend is that you explore the entire world of Tyria at least once (the scenery is nice in some places) and only completing renown hearts that might interest you. There is no real point in finishing all of them unless you want to make a legendary or if you are a completionist.

…or the other solution. Stay away from PvE and just play the game for PvP/WvW.

Sorry, there’s no way I’m going through the entire map. It’s already completely boring and I haven’t even completed a third – or maybe just that.

Your post is cool though, thanks.

Posted by: Kayberz.5346

Kayberz.5346

Sorry, there’s no way I’m going through the entire map. It’s already completely boring and I haven’t even completed a third – or maybe just that.

“Haven’t even completed a third…”

And that is why your “opinion” isnt valid.
Your making assumptions about things without even having seen them, if you had actually experienced the parts of the game your trying to criticize then your opinion would be valid, but you havnt

Its the same as if i only watched the first episode of a tv show stopped watching and then proceeded to go on a forum dedicated to that show to criticize the show for lack of character depth and dismissed other people that told me to keep watching because season 2 is really good and does a lot of character building just because i “get it” already from watching the first episode

Ashen.2907

If the first bite of a dish makes you ill you do not need to force yourself to eat more in order to justify expressing a negative opinion of it.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If the first bite of a dish makes you ill you do not need to force yourself to eat more in order to justify expressing a negative opinion of it.

If I eat something that makes me ill, I don’t eat it any more.

If I play a game and I consider it boring, I stop playing or I try something different the game offers.

The OP is playing a game he where he considers the PvE boring, yet doesn’t and go off and play another game and won’t try anything else this game offers, such as PvP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Ashen.2907

If I eat something that makes me ill, I don’t eat any more.

If I play a game and I consider it boring, I stop playing or I try something different the game offers.

The OP is playing a game he where he considers the PvE boring, yet doesn’t and go off and play another game and won’t try anything else this game offers, such as PvP.

He seems to like fractals.

Perhaps he is trying to fimd a dish in this particular cafe that he does like?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Cool. Maybe he’ll stay over there then and quit making posts and threads about playstyles he doesn’t like and obviously doesn’t understand.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

OP, I seriously scratched my head at your replies. On one hand you dismiss or simply don’t even bother to answers others seriously, and then you wonder, probably honestly surprised, why everyone is hostile to you.

Posted by: woofie.5603

woofie.5603

sounds like you need to play dark souls

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

“Haven’t even completed a third…”

And that is why your “opinion” isnt valid.
Your making assumptions about things without even having seen them, if you had actually experienced the parts of the game your trying to criticize then your opinion would be valid, but you havnt

Its the same as if i only watched the first episode of a tv show stopped watching and then proceeded to go on a forum dedicated to that show to criticize the show for lack of character depth and dismissed other people that told me to keep watching because season 2 is really good and does a lot of character building just because i “get it” already from watching the first episode

CORRECTION: I do not have to complete a story to know whether I enjoy it or not.

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

OP, I seriously scratched my head at your replies. On one hand you dismiss or simply don’t even bother to answers others seriously, and then you wonder, probably honestly surprised, why everyone is hostile to you.

What are you saying?

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

What guy doesn’t like fractals?

^^

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

No offense but purposefully negative people are boring and draining as hell, and not nearly as interesting as they think they are. If you are trying to get this topic closed, you can always contact the mods to do so rather than dragging this topic on as you are obviously not interested in any of the suggestions or help people are offering to you. Uninstall the game and move on, you have clearly made your point already that this game has nothing to offer to you.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

I’ve tried games that I ended up disliking so I eventually stopped playing them. I’m glad other people enjoyed those games but they weren’t for me.

I haven’t read the entire thread but from what I’ve seen there’s lots of arguing. What it comes down to is whether you enjoy GW2. If you don’t, then offering your constructive criticism is welcome of course, but since gw2 isn’t going to change overnight to fulfill your wishes it might be better to let your thoughts be known and leave. The devs do read the forums, after all, even if they don’t always post in them.

If you do like GW2, I’d say that you might as well play more and give it more of a chance, find which game modes you enjoy or maybe once you get to 80 you’ll find a PvE map that you enjoy more than the rest. idk it just seems like arguing like this isn’t productive and doesn’t seem to help anyone.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Seems like OP has spent more time posting and arguing in this thread than he has playing the game.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Seems like OP has spent more time posting and arguing in this thread than he has playing the game.

I wouldn’t doubt it.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: macon.4065

macon.4065

Wow you folks are good at giving the new guy a great headache. Okay first go through the game and level to 80. You don’t have to worry about the dynamic events as you go on with your starting character. Follow the storyline and your going to progress naturally. Make sure that you get all the waypoints in the zones as you cross them (that way you can zone around and unlock the rest for the Explorer title). Once you are done with the main storyline you will notice that living story is a continuation from your storyline and you can keep following that. If you are intersted find a Guild that does WVW in Eternal Battlegrounds as that is where you are going to find the Guilds at this point running in their (the rest are avoiding the other WVW zones and your not going to find much play out their). PVP is an arena system that find a good group of 5 and good luck to you. Dungeons can still be used for limited experince but your not going to get very good rewards from them. If your PVE your looking at exploration at this point and pretty much that will do it. Avoid HOT its all screwed up and totally not a good buy. You may need to purchase gems from time to time to stay alive but that’s the developers telling us they need money but do be aware that from the amount you are spending on gems monthly your actually paying more that a standard subscription on a regular MMORPG. But I have played this game from day 1 on the first Guildwars and your right the game has changed and not for the better. In the original game you were able to farm bosses for weapons, cap skills and tool around with exploration and storyline and quests. Here now is the grind of materials, economy that stinks (your going to pay a fortune to go anywhere) and experience and mastery skills that are next to useless. Specializations are up to you but if you need to unlock them and use them its just points out that the game is truly unbalanced. But you are quickly seeing what many are seeing. Welcome to the pain with the rest of us and good luck.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

You may need to purchase gems from time to time to stay alive but that’s the developers telling us they need money but do be aware that from the amount you are spending on gems monthly your actually paying more that a standard subscription on a regular MMORPG.

When have gems ever been necessary for staying “alive”? Nothing in the store is truly necessary, there’s only cosmetics and convenience items on it.

Hate is Fuel.