LFG tool: Add class filter

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

I do only run with 80 ’s when I am on my main. Other than that I do not care about class.

Posted by: Kinook.1497

Kinook.1497

When creating an LFG listing, we should be able to set which classes can join our party and which can’t. An optional extra box, where you click the icon of which classes can join.

If someone isn’t of that class, then the lfg listing is greyed out and they cant join. It would be easier than having to write out a large text, one which people sometimes fail to take the time to hover over and read. Currently, people can join who didn’t care enough to read the lfg or willfully ignored it. Or simply didn’t understand it, which all gives pretty much the same result and turns forming a group into an ordeal.

This change will help pug groups who have a specific compostion in mind to tackle certain content. And as ever, people WILL remain free to join a whole raft of alternative partiues or create their own parties in which they permit any composition they like

It’s very fair that when you create a party, you should be able to have a say, if you want one, on which classes can join. And for it to be a much simpler, smoother, no hassle process.

thats the worst idea ever, man. Pugs with a specific composition? I smell cheap elitism and class discrimination. That would make some classes unable to do dungeons, like necromancers, rangers…

Its enough they ask for 5k achiev points for cof p1, they dont need the ability to exclude classes from their group.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I find class matters a lot in organized speed runs.

But rarely matters in pug. Since the main reason pug went bad is people dont’ really know how to play.

Take for example, on average, my cof path 1 runs is usually faster when I play necro(or mesmer, but I dont’ play mesmer). Because people just dont’ know how to do the Boulder in the cof tunnel.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Yeah, that’s gonna help the game a bunch… how about no. As others said, if you really want to exclude someone from your group, add it to the description, then kick them if they join. Anything else is elitism of the worst kind.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

This would be a great addition to the tool and I’d appreciate having it. Another nice one would be a level filter.

A lot of people say this will lead to more discrimination, but I doubt it will be that bad and the multitude of lfg posts with “all welcome” or “casual run” that I see in the lfg tool kinds supports my opinion. There will of course be bad cases, but overall this would improve the experience imo.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This goes directly against the spirit of GW2. If you want to discriminate players, go play WoW or another MMO. Or better yet, learn to play with everyone.

I’m pretty sure the devs have never given out a communicate in which they describe the “spirit of GW2”. This is just your opinion. Stop stating it as fact.

I can learn to play with everyone, I choose not to because I value my own time and well being. This is a choice and it’s within my rights as a player to make.

Just because you’d consider it nice if everyone could play with everyone doesn’t make it mandatory.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

Because good rangers like myself, know they need to spam “come back to me” when doing dungeon runs. Not that hard, takes a bit of clicking though and a fix cant happen soon enough. The only rangers you really have to worry about are the ones who are almost like bots which i will freely admit, do plague this game. Im just saying, give someone a chance before you judge everyone of that class. If they screw up horribly, kick them! If they are clearly running a bad combo, kick them!

I dont know if you ignored it in my last post , but if i join a group that says “P1” then i have every right to be there, regardless of class. If i join a group that says “P1 Experienced” i have every right to be there regardless of class. NOW if i join a group that says “P1 experienced, No rangers” (Which i wouldnt when playing my ranger) thats my problem for being there in the first place.

As for not switching? i have two mains, a mesmer, and a ranger. I enjoy the ranger more than any other class in the game. I dont want to play my other characters if im not in the mood, and i for sure dont want to be forced to play my other characters to do any content(Which is IMO what this thread is about. By adding this tool you will be forcing players to play certain classes to do PVE dungeons, something easily done by any class in the game.). I have 12 of them too. 8 level 80s(Guardian, 2 mesmers, 2 rangers, Warrior, Ele, Necromancer, Thief). All fully kitted out in ascended, exotics, a legendary what have you. A level 20 Ele, a level 20 Engineer, and a level 2 Guardian.(Which also stops me from leveling an alt. as i cannot make the swaps for the final cutscenes, due to horrible internet.)

There is a problem with that kicking bit though. i know i do it, and im sure others do, they hit that little check mark just to get the bloody thing off their screen. ive kicked people who i didnt think should be kicked just because of that(I hate screen clutter, it drives me mad already, rude of me? yes.) . Really though, allow us to vote yes, or no, as right now we can only vote yes(Horrible design decision imo) but thats for another thread entirely.

TLDR:
The good thing is, i dont have to join your partys, i can make my own and i do so quite often(And they take forever to fill even for the most common paths because im posting as a ranger), but if a tool gets added to block classes, and players see that rangers and necros(as examples as they do get kicked the most already) arent wanted, then they wont want to join groups hosted by those two classes, and slowly people will stop playing them.

The problem with " if they are playing badly or running a bad combo – kick them" is that if you do that mid run or after the run begins they’ll rage about how you kicked them for no reason.
In their minds they do nothing wrong so what you’re telling them comes off as absurd or elitist.
These sort of kicks are the ones that can get you reported because you “kicked them mid run for no good reason”.

That’s why I prefer to do all my kicking and filtering before the run happens. That way we avoid all the stuff mentioned above and we don’t waste anyone’s time.

I did not disregard the LFG description part – I agree with it.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Meh. As long as people play well it doesn’t matter what class they are. I’ve seen groups that call for only meta builds with zerker gear fall flat on their faces, even with supposedly perfect party compositions, simply because the players didn’t play well. Likewise, I’ve seen completely oddball parties clear dungeons and fractals really fast, simply because the players know what they are doing.

The LFG group tool can never account for player skill, and frankly, that’s what matters most at the end of the day, so to me this suggestion is somewhat moot, because it may very well not help at all when it comes to saving time or preventing hassle.

At the end of the day, the only way you can really resolve this issue with certainty is to play with organized groups, consisting of players you are familiar with and who you gel well with. Join or create a guild with a focus on PvE and dungeon/fractal runs and play with like minded players who gel well together and who become accustomed to each other’s play styles, as opposed to asking for ridiculous LFG tool restrictions that will likely do more harm to the community than good.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I’d love this but I know they won’t put it in. They’d rework the entire class before putting this in.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

This goes directly against the spirit of GW2. If you want to discriminate players, go play WoW or another MMO. Or better yet, learn to play with everyone.

I’m pretty sure the devs have never given out a communicate in which they describe the “spirit of GW2”. This is just your opinion. Stop stating it as fact.

I can learn to play with everyone, I choose not to because I value my own time and well being. This is a choice and it’s within my rights as a player to make.

Just because you’d consider it nice if everyone could play with everyone doesn’t make it mandatory.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1078544-GW2-official-Blogpost-about-the-Holy-Trinity-must-read

Pay attention to the last line of #5 and all of #6.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Ahhh yes more leetism, that’s what gw2 needs. It will make everyone happy. Because the current levels of elitism just aren’t jolly enough, so we need MORE LEETS to ensure everyone really enjoys their gw2 player experience.

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

If people are that picky about their group composition, why don’t they just go on guild/friend runs where coordination would likely be much easier?

Because that’s not always possible. Your play time may be different than guild/friends, or they may already have done the path. Also, organizing 4 other friends/guildies when you’re short in time to run maybe 1 or 2 paths, well, could take time. PuG is still the fastest way to get a group at your most convenient.

Point being it simply doesn’t make sense to be picky when pugging. Pugging, by it’s very nature, has a random element to it. Even if you were allowed to filter professions, you still wouldn’t be able to filter player skill. The only way to control that is by playing with people you know. A profession filter will not necessarily help the situation. You could try to make a better case for a skill-based matchmaking system, but even they can be off at times.

(edited by Torenn.2598)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Yay! lets make it so nobody will let rangers into dungeon groups anymore!

because being kicked after joining is certainly a more pleasurable experience…

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Filter would make things a lot easier and faster and it definitely will not make “class discrimination” worse.

Harper.4173

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1078544-GW2-official-Blogpost-about-the-Holy-Trinity-must-read

Pay attention to the last line of #5 and all of #6.

1. I do not think these things can still be considered their vision for GW2 considering they have been deleted from the official site.
Also a lot of the initial “vision” has shifted around a lot. I don’t really think pulling out 4 year old information is still relevant today.

2. Nowhere does it state I can’t kick people if I don’t want to play with them. Nowhere does it say I need to include everyone in my experience.

Harper.4173

If people are that picky about their group composition, why don’t they just go on guild/friend runs where coordination would likely be much easier?

Because that’s not always possible. Your play time may be different than guild/friends, or they may already have done the path. Also, organizing 4 other friends/guildies when you’re short in time to run maybe 1 or 2 paths, well, could take time. PuG is still the fastest way to get a group at your most convenient.

Point being it simply doesn’t make sense to be picky when pugging. Pugging, by it’s very nature, has a random element to it. Even if you were allowed to filter professions, you still wouldn’t be able to filter player skill. The only way to control that is by playing with people you know. A profession filter will not necessarily help the situation. You could try to make a better case for a skill-based matchmaking system, but even they can be off at times.

It does make sense – just because I pug doesn’t mean I have to take anyone who wants to join.
Just because I don’t know the people I’m doing that run with doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to apply any selection criteria.

Some of my best runs have been with PUGS that were selected according to my criteria. Yes pugging has a random element to it but you can cut it down quite considerably by imposing strict rules for inclusion in the party you start.

I’ll give you an example :

You want a good FOTM 50 run and don’t feel like wiping or teaching or being slow but none of your usual friends you run FOTM with are online.
You can pug but add “Ping Pristine fractal relic stack on join” – you’ll most likely only get FOTM veterans in that party if they can ping that stack. It’s not 100% guaranteed but it sure is about 90% sure.

There’s a VERY low probability a new and inexperienced player or an old but bad player can acquire all those relics ( Also I know the example isn’t as good now because of Pristine fractal relic daily rewards) but the concept still stands.

A profession filter doesn’t help the “skill situation” but it does help the " requirement " one.

If i ask for a Guardian in my LFG – why would you join if you’re not a guardian? There are a few situations :

1. You can’t read – literally unable to – in which case you’re going to get kicked because how will we communicate?

2. You don’t care about party requirements and don’t bother to read them – in which case you’re going to get kicked because you should respect the players you are going to play with.

3. You want to force that party to have you anyway regardless of what they asked for- in which case you guessed it – you’re going to get kicked because you’re not entitled to a free carry run.

If you don’t find a suitable group – make your own. There’s no reason to join a group as the wrong class.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

No.

If you pug, you’re asking the community to carry you, no matter how good you are. Social contract and all that stuff. Advertise your group appropriately, and that includes class limitations if you must, but you accept any risk afterward.

If you want efficient runs, join a speedrun guild, ask them, and stop trying to push this selfish agenda on the rest of the community.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

That would be a great mistake.

If you don’t want certain professions in your group, the problem is not you being unable to make it easier for you to prevent them from joining; the problem is whatever is making you think that way.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

i am the type of person that sees “this class only” and take it to mean “join and relist this party with insultive comment about them being elitest kittens”
i would be the type to join on other classes and swtich after changing the party setting
i dont care if elitists block me or harras me there the ones ruining the game for others by not learning how to play correctly and wanting an easy ride
i also change people selling lfgs too cause that kitten is low and should be banned

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

When i look at the LFG listings, i see people looking for a specific composition. Not falling over themsleves to express how much they dont want Rangers or Necros. Go in game and take a look for a random snapshot. It’s not the stereotype you have in your heads.

Typically a group of 4 ppl sitting with an LFG that reads, ‘LF 1 guard’ or ‘Ele only’, or ‘1 Thief!’ They are trying to achieve a specific composition to tackle the content.
And to get there they maybe initally had to write a shopping list of an lfg and then edit and relist it as people join, which makes forming a group a chore. Did i mention that if you continually edit and list your lfg, you can suppressed for spamming and can no longer list your LFG. Inspired mechanic. Also the LFG tool can bug out when someone joins and leaves. All part of the fun of the current system.

Besides that, I think you guys are doing the bulk of the players in this game a disservice. This game has a largely casual culture, they don’t have the outlook you are projecting onto them and wouldn’t respond to a filter in the way you predict. Instead, it would be a helpful tool.

At the moment we have to write full length foolproof shopping lists. If not

Full run 5k, war/ele/guard = 4 PS warriors join (Hi, Hi ,Hi ,Hi. Huh, whats the problem? Nah bro, we’ll be fine. It’s the party leaders fault for not editing LFG quick enough in response to each join)
Full run 5k, war/ele/guard* = a level 73 joins (your fault, you didn’t ‘shopping list’ and write level 80)
Full run 5k, war/ele/guard = Engi joins (Engi leaves. OR.. Player 1 votes to kick. Player 2 votes to kick. Player 3 types ‘why?’ into party chat……..)
Full run 5k, war/ele/guard = 300 AP Ele joins (can happen no matter what)

By the time we step foot into the Dungeon, the guy who created and administered the LFG shouldn’t already be feeling exhausted.

This tool will not alter class perceptions. It will not change the many people who are currently happy to party with anyone. But it will help those looking to create specific compostitons. And that is fine.

And if it had an AP filter too so no one who joined ever had to be kicked Before starting the run, that would be perfect.

(edited by Kedarrian.2905)

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I don’t know why you even think you would need a specific team comp for dungeons in this game, unless you want to do lvl 50 fractals.

Even then, you still don’t really need a specific team comp, except maybe one guardian to cast walls of reflection for the Bloomhunger and the Leg. Imbued Shaman and maybe other encounters, but even then it’s not absolutely necessary.

Just to give you an idea, I had a lvl 50 fractal group yesterday with 2 rangers, and despite the usual whining at the beginning about having rangers in a group, the run went smooth, without any wipes.

Sure, sometimes people just want to make fun groups of “thieves only” or something like that, but this suggestion just screams elitism and shows you’re not really that good as you might think if you really need a full meta comp to beat dungeon content.

(edited by Davey.7029)

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

…snip…

You’ve just provided perfectly good [and existing] solutions to your “problem.” I still don’t see the need for a profession filter. As I’ve said, if you’re just that picky about group composition, then you should be running with a pre-made group. Period. You’re attempting to shoehorn the LFG tool into a “problem” it was never meant to fix.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

This tool WOULD alter the way some groups would be formed, a tool that’s main use is exclusion of certain classes or players simply does not belong here. Most of the “shopping list” lists I see say “No ranger/necro” “80 Zerk” “exp only”.. Lately I have been seeing some of the “xKap+”. I just went in game and took a look.

You state that the game has a large casual culture. If that’s the case then there is no need for a tool that promotes exclusion and elitism in team comp. The only people who would have use for this would be the people looking to exclude others based on class/gear/ap. I’m not seeing how that benefits the majority of people.

If you truely feel exhausted when you start from simply editing an lfg than maybe you should look for friends/guidlies rather then pugs.

This tool will not alter class perceptions. It will not change the many people who are currently happy to party with anyone. But it will help those looking to create specific compostitons. And that is fine.

No one is saying it will alter class perceptions, people are saying it will make it easier for those that wish to force their personal class perception and opinions on others to do so. So you do not believe it will effect those that are happy to party with anyone, it will help those that wish to exclude others based on class perception; that is EXCLUSIVITY something GW2 tries to avoid.

And if it had an AP filter too so no one who joined ever had to be kicked Before starting the run, that would be perfect.

Because AP is really a good gauge of how much dungeon/fotm experience someone has… Seriously you could easily have over 15k AP and never do any dungeons, while another player may have 2k or less and have done every dungeon many times. AP is a terrible way to gauge someones dungeon experience.

Kedarrian.2905

I know the argument about the limits of AP. Still I find it useful because it sets the tone about the culture of the run and so attracts certain people and warns others off, if nothing more. Similar with writing Zerk. I’d rather have an 11k Ele than a 2k Ele even though we all understand it’s not a foolproof measure.

And when i say ‘shopping list’, i mean a very long and nuanced lfg post.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I do think the LFG system needs improved, but adding in class filters doesn’t seem needed.

Miku.6297

I’d rather have an 11k Ele than a 2k Ele even though we all understand it’s not a foolproof measure.

Things like that are a perfect example of what starts exclusivity. You would rather have player A join your party then player B. As it stands either player can join and try (unless your party just vote kicks), with your filter idea, you remove the ability of player B to join: that’s exclusion.

As it stands some people do make “shopping list” lfg listings, they are NOT the majority. There are many reasons the majority of listings aren’t like this, and many players in runs that are titled with long requirments don’t always hold people to them. Often allowing others to join. So as it stands now, classes that would most likely be excluded by a simple click can currently join. By adding a little check box you can click to exclude anyone playing a certain class you remove that chance, making it 100% certain no one from that class can join.

As I’ve said from the start, a preferred class check box that shows which classes would be preferred might be OK, a filter that’s main function is to exclude others, No TY

(edited by Miku.6297)

Kedarrian.2905

You state that the game has a large casual culture. If that’s the case then there is no need for a tool that promotes exclusion and elitism in team comp. The only people who would have use for this would be the people looking to exclude others based on class/gear/ap. I’m not seeing how that benefits the majority of people.

To be honest, with the sky high amount of AP and bling I see many people have, I’m not suree about the extent to which this game is casual or how we even define that word. But i just went along with the idea of it.

If you believe your statement, then all the earlier people that are doomsdaying about the end of necros and rangers in dungeon parties are wrong. Which is how I feel about their predicitions too. So we have that as common ground.

I think this tool would benefit a lot of people and open up new avenues for dungeon running without closing any. I imagine a significant amount of people who run dungeons frequently would find interest in using it.

(edited by Kedarrian.2905)

Miku.6297

Wait so you are’nt sure about the extent of casual vs not due to AP + bling or how to accurately define it, but you would make a filter that would exclude people based on it?

I believe my statement, however I also believe if a filter were added into the game, the main people that would benefit from it are those wishing to exclude others. Would there still be groups that would take necros and rangers?: Of course. Would there be players/groups that would just click the block all ranger/necros?: Of course. How ever a filter like this would make the current experience for players WORSE not better, that is why I am strongly against it.

This tool would open up avenues for dungeon runners wishing to exclude certain classes. This tool would CLOSE potential avenues for dungeon runners wishing to play certain classes. I agree 100% that people who wish to exclude and filter players based on their class, ap, and even GEAR (this is where exclusive play like this leads) would certainly find interest in using it.

How does this benefit one of the classes that is less welcome in dungeons? Would this tool make finding a group for ALL players easier or would it make excluding certain players based on certain criteria easier?

(edited by Miku.6297)

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

Yay! lets make it so nobody will let rangers into dungeon groups anymore!

Flashbacks to DDO. Awesome memories…

ah was your first character a deepwood sniper too?

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I’d rather have an 11k Ele than a 2k Ele even though we all understand it’s not a foolproof measure.

Things like that are a perfect example of what starts exclusivity. You would rather have player A join your party then player B. As it stands either player can join and try (unless your party just vote kicks), with your filter idea, you remove the ability of player B to join: that’s exclusion.

As it stands some people do make “shopping list” lfg listings, they are NOT the majority. There are many reasons the majority of listings aren’t like this, and many players in runs that are titled with long requirments don’t always hold people to them. Often allowing others to join. So as it stands now, classes that would most likely be excluded by a simple click can currently join. By adding a little check box you can click to exclude anyone playing a certain class you remove that chance, making it 100% certain no one from that class can join.

As I’ve said from the start, a preferred class check box that shows which classes would be preferred might be OK, a filter that’s main function is to exclude others, No TY

The thing is, I should be able to (and can) exclude people from my group if I so choose.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Miku.6297

The thing is, I should be able to (and can) exclude people from my group if I so choose.

That’s 100% true. I never said you should not be able to, or that you can’t. The topic is about an LFG tool that increases the likely hood of exclusion of players based on certain criteria.

GW2s dungeon/community/social play is geared towards Inclusion of all players/classes not exclusion. Creating a more welcoming and enjoyable environment, for those that wish to play with their given play style. Due to this, tools that make exclusion and/or elitism easier aren’t usually well received.

Harper.4173

No.

If you pug, you’re asking the community to carry you, no matter how good you are. Social contract and all that stuff. Advertise your group appropriately, and that includes class limitations if you must, but you accept any risk afterward.

If you want efficient runs, join a speedrun guild, ask them, and stop trying to push this selfish agenda on the rest of the community.

No.

If I pug I’m not asking anybody to carry me.
I’m saying : " I’m going to do this content and require 4 more competent and capable people who will meet these standards to join me – join if you qualify"

There’s no agenda here – I have the right to play with whomever I choose. I can pick and choose those people however I want.
That doesn’t make me this evil elitist person – it means I respect myself and my time and require more of those I play with than maybe the average GW2 player.

Harper.4173

That would be a great mistake.

If you don’t want certain professions in your group, the problem is not you being unable to make it easier for you to prevent them from joining; the problem is whatever is making you think that way.

And I can turn this around and say you thinking I should allow and include everyone and any profession in my parties is the problem.

You think and see things your way and I do it differently.

The problem is thinking that these people joining parties and being kicked usually after being told a few bad things is something that’s better than a filter.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Well filter or not people still kick rangers/necros/whatever that can’t be bothered to read few words in lfg.

Miku.6297

Harper, No one is saying you don’t have the right to play how you want, and with who you want. However many members of the games community prefer inclusive play (including everyone).

I’m saying : " I’m going to do this content and require 4 more competent and capable people who will meet these standards to join me – join if you qualify"

There’s no agenda here – I have the right to play with whomever I choose. I can pick and choose those people however I want.
That doesn’t make me this evil elitist person – it means I respect myself and my time and require more of those I play with than maybe the average GW2 player.

Lines like “Join if you qualify” or “I respect myself and my time and require more” are the very definition of elitism. You are stating that some players are not good enough or up to your standards so you do not wish to play with them. That’s your choice, however to say it’s not elitism and e mind set that leads to exclusive play would be untrue.

The problem is thinking that these people joining parties and being kicked usually after being told a few bad things is something that’s better than a filter.

The filter would add an extra layer of ease in excluding players for picking a class or play style. Making it easier to exclude people is not something I would want to see in the game.

Harper.4173

i am the type of person that sees “this class only” and take it to mean “join and relist this party with insultive comment about them being elitest kittens”
i would be the type to join on other classes and swtich after changing the party setting
i dont care if elitists block me or harras me there the ones ruining the game for others by not learning how to play correctly and wanting an easy ride
i also change people selling lfgs too cause that kitten is low and should be banned

Cool – you’re the reason I kick “play how I want people” on sight.
Also the reason I can’t be bothered to try to include people. Enjoy ruining the LFG descriptions. Keep making it harder for the casual players and keep angering ‘elitists’.
It’ll surely fix things.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

No.

If I pug I’m not asking anybody to carry me.

Actually most of the pugs i join that ask for gear checks and things usually have worse players than the ones that just ask for experienced xD.

The reason why a filter should not be added is that it will just increase hatred towards certain classes. Why pugs have AP requirements above 3k or require certain classes is beyond me. 90% of content in this game can be done with any class, the only places i can understand a filter for class is Arah and FoTM (and even Arah you dont need one).

If you really dont want to play with bad pugs just get some friends and run dungeons with them. At least then if you have to pug some spots you will have the classes you need. Its not like its that hard to get a good group in this game that you need to add a whole new feature to exclude people.

Harper.4173

What you fail to see is that it’s not about a “join and try”.
An explicit LFG request means the party is not in the business of having people try out for whatever they’re doing. They need a specific player that has a specific class, build and amount of experience so they can go in and succeed.
There’s no “try”. You exclude player B because he does not qualify. He does not meet the posted requirements.
I have nothing against player B but if I need player A on class X using build Z then that’s what I’m going to ask for and what I’m going to keep. The rest will get kicked.

If they want to join a party they should join one where they meet the requirements OR they should make their own.

Forcing me to play with whomever wishes to join my party is not alright and is an infringement on my right to play with whomever I choose.

TL;DL – if it’s my party I have a right to ask for a specific thing and exclude all things that aren’t what I asked for. If people don’t like it they can ignore me and play with whomever else they want.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Ew.

Stop taking it upon yourself to ruin people’s concept of a good play session just because you feel they shouldn’t be asking for specific things in their dungeon.

You’re just making the problem fester for no reason.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Harper.4173

Lines like “Join if you qualify” or “I respect myself and my time and require more” are the very definition of elitism. You are stating that some players are not good enough or up to your standards so you do not wish to play with them. That’s your choice, however to say it’s not elitism and e mind set that leads to exclusive play would be untrue.

It’s not “elitism” – it’s the truth. It’s a common basic truth that is true anywhere in the world. There are people that aren’t good enough. And for the true elite of this game I’m not good enough.

I do not consider it elitism because I do not consider myself part of the game’s “elite”. Those are the people that can solo Lupicus 1 handed. Those are the elitists. The Arah soloers, FOTM soloers, etc.

I consider this common sense and basic decency. Each player has a certain skill level. I just want to play with people that have a skill level that’s close to mine. I do not enjoy teaching and playing slowly in order to carry others. Not because I can’t but because I do not enjoy it.

The difference is I know what skill level I am at and don’t try to force myself into runs I have no business being in because I’m not that good. If I wanted to run with them I’d sink more time and try to be better at the game. To improve myself.
Other people lack this modicum of common sense and that’s where the problem starts to appear.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

All that time you sit there waiting to find that one 5k AP, Zerker, Experienced player could have been spent with someone else and the dungeon would be done.

I will NEVER join a group that is looking for a certain player, although I fit your dumb requirements.

Miku.6297

What you fail to see is that it’s not about a “join and try”.
An explicit LFG request means the party is not in the business of having people try out for whatever they’re doing. They need a specific player that has a specific class, build and amount of experience so they can go in and succeed.
There’s no “try”. You exclude player B because he does not qualify. He does not meet the posted requirements.

I understand perfectly, it’s not join and try, and your specific explicit LFG request is not a join and try. All I’m saying is that this type of lfg listing and mind set fosters EXCLUSIVE play. Which is something I’m pretty sure A-net has said they try to avoid, so adding a filter like this would not be in the best interest of the community or game direction.

You mean you can’t succeed without specific meta builds in GW2 dungeons? I understand YOU may want to go at a certain speed and that’s fine, however most people can clear a dungeon with or without meta builds/meta classes. Also lets not forget some people who come with the meta build/class/gear may faceplant just as much or more as someone without.

I have nothing against player B but if I need player A on class X using build Z then that’s what I’m going to ask for and what I’m going to keep. The rest will get kicked.

If they want to join a party they should join one where they meet the requirements OR they should make their own.

Forcing me to play with whomever wishes to join my party is not alright and is an infringement on my right to play with whomever I choose.

Now I am one of those “play the class you want” people… However I will agree with this, if the party asks for a ele, if someone joins they should be an ele. Being courteous and respecting how people want to play goes both ways. Play your own way players joining selective players parties with the intent of trolling is unacceptable as well.

No one is forcing you to play with anyone, no one is even suggesting that you HAVE to play with anyone you don’t want.

TL;DL – if it’s my party I have a right to ask for a specific thing and exclude all things that aren’t what I asked for. If people don’t like it they can ignore me and play with whomever else they want.

Right, like I’ve said in nearly every response, that is entirely up to you. However just as you should not be forced to play a certain way, others should not be forced to play that way either.

Miku.6297

It’s not “elitism” – it’s the truth. It’s a common basic truth that is true anywhere in the world. There are people that aren’t good enough. And for the true elite of this game I’m not good enough.

Saying someone is not good enough to play with you is elitism to some extent, and it is definitely leading down the path of exclusive play. I’m not saying it’s evil or wrong, I’m saying it is elitist and exclusive.

Elitism or not the play style you are talking about is still strongly rooted in EXCLUSIVE play. A tool that would be used to further exclusivity in play would not be in the best interest for the majority of players.

Harper.4173

I’m not trying to force anyone here. I honestly believe a filter would do more good than bad. Why?

Because it is exclusive – but this exclusive thing is a double edged sword. On the one hand people are being excluded. On the other they’re being protected from the classic " omg noob l2read" and “omg kick so bad” when they inevitably join a party they weren’t suited for.

These experiences tend to go really poorly and push people away from dungeons.

Why I believe level, profession and even gear filters would be a good idea is because the majority of the player base is casual. So how does it help?

Well a lot of people have called the “meta elitists” toxic and evil. Some of them are very toxic and some of them are nice.
With filters in place the vast majority of “bad” elitists will lock themselves behind so many filters the casual majority and new players will rarely be put in a situation where they will come into contact with them ( because they will most likely not meet the strict requirements) and thus the tension and name calling and conflict will mostly go away.

So that’s how I think it could be a good thing – keep people with different goals separate from each other so they can play with their own “kind” and not bash each other and each other’s play styles all day every day.

I believe not being insulted, kicked and given a bad experience is in the best interest of the majority of players.

Miku.6297

I really don’t see how being told you can’t do some content because your profession or gear is not good enough is going to make players happy. A filter that would block people based on their profession and gear, this isn’t a gear check game… Myself and Many players like it that way.

Couldn’t those meta elitist people you are talking about, form a guild or use their contacts list to form their parties? Or simply use the current features built in. Both options have their downsides, but a filter would be an immediate barrier to many. That’s why I just see it doing more harm then good. (especially if you start going to the gear check levels)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Harper maybe you should make your own filter as suggested in the thread.
Its already in game and is called friends list, it can be found under default Y key.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I think people are ignoring the effect it would have on the general population.

A lot of players don’t really put a lot of thought into the game on their own. They rely on guides and the like, see what the “pros” do. If a lot of the high end speed clearing teams are excluding certain professions then these people will too. They won’t think to question why, it clearly must be the right thing to do if people better at the game than them are doing it.

When you have to make LFG descriptions though, and filter who pops in manually, less are willing to do it because its too much work for them. This suggestion would make it take just a few clicks, and it would become far more widespread.

That simply isn’t something that needs to be made easier.

(edited by Pockets.3201)

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

So if it is “elitism” or class exclusion when your trying to run a dungeon and pug a group, then no one should ever kick a low level again. I mean seriously that level 35 dude in blues who joins your ac group 8 times because he has done this dungeon 100 times on his main shouldn’t be required to leave, you should include him….

Screw that logic. With the extra vote needed to kick now and people more willing to run with crap groups than wait for the requested group to form, LFG is not reliable to form the group specified by the poster.

As an experiment today, i ran a group for CM. Simply put “80’s exp 1 per class.” Not hard, but being a warrior, I had to kick the first 2 people who joined and restart the LFG. After getting 3 people we got a second guardian who the group refused to kick and after a debate he switched to a ranger, followed by another duplicate class an ele who finally decided to leave even though the group wouldn’t kick.

You cant tell me that all it takes is to put a message in lfg and kick if you don’t like the results, it simply doesn’t work that way. If I had a filter in which I could set a limit of 1 per class…. hey now where talking a sure bet for that group formation.

Can this idealistic tool be used to discriminate with, sure, but who cares. This is a great ideal to refine lfg, because you will not always have guildies or friends to run with, and lfg may be your best option to knock out some quick dungeons.

So in short don’t hate on the tool, because, the tool wouldn’t affect the opinions of any one who already refuses to run with necros and rangers, it just makes it easier for everyone who would like to specify a build based on gear / level / class / or anything meaningful (no AP is pointless except to make me laugh when I see it.)

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

To be honest, I’m okay with having such a feature be made available. Though I probably won’t take advantage of it too much. I’m an equal opportunity kind of guy.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

As an experiment today, i ran a group for CM. Simply put “80’s exp 1 per class.” Not hard, but being a warrior, I had to kick the first 2 people who joined and restart the LFG. After getting 3 people we got a second guardian who the group refused to kick and after a debate he switched to a ranger, followed by another duplicate class an ele who finally decided to leave even though the group wouldn’t kick.

You cant tell me that all it takes is to put a message in lfg and kick if you don’t like the results, it simply doesn’t work that way. If I had a filter in which I could set a limit of 1 per class…. hey now where talking a sure bet for that group formation.

This is a very good reason why such a filter would be an awesome addition. People ignore the lfg message so much it’s unbelievable and then they are even rude when called out, to say the least. Making a lfg post should not be a chore and should definitely not require close monitoring and editing. This filter would make all parties benefit, everyone can easily find like-minded people to play with and 100% ignore the people with views opposing theirs; everybody wins.

And the argument that there is already such a filter of sorts with guilds and friends list – that is true, but it happens way too often to not find enough people there because of different timezones or, most commonly, they have already done that path or are doing something else at that moment. Pugging is by far the most convenient solution and this filter would greatly improve the utility of the lfg tool and remove a LOT of useless drama in the game.

About the exclusivity argument – this filter would not exclude people from playing certain content, it would only exclude people from playing said content at a fixed point in time with certain people whose views are different from theirs! The amount of avoided drama, overall, would be immense! How can that not be healthy for the game!?