Laurels. Thoughts?

Laurels. Thoughts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Would it really kill you to get your ascended amulate in 30 days instead of 20? Or 40? Who cares?

It’s not going to make that much difference in your game, unless you decide it will. I’m doing all the same stuff I enjoy doing without a single piece of ascended gear. Getting that gear won’t noticably change my game at all.

Honestly, people who feel they need this stuff are ruining the game for themselves. Get it when you get it, and stop worrying. You can still log in. You can still play. You can still enjoy yourself.

Anet didn’t make this game about gear…people are doing it.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Gathering: 5 minutes
Events: about 3-4 minutes total

i’d love to know your secret for completing 5 events in 3 minutes and harvesting 20 resources in 5.

oh wait, there isn’t one.

but OP, mmos have always been about who can play the most wins. you’ll still get your amulet, but it will take longer and i don’t know why that bothers you. there has to be a balance between the people that play 30 min a night and the people that play 8h a day.

Isn’t a secret because everyone knows how to do that

5 minutes in Orr and you’ll have plenty of mithril // wood + doing a few dense events. You know I’m speaking the truth.

you avoided the events part. even if you jump around events, the vast majority take much longer than 3 minutes. you i’m speaking the truth.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

i’d love to know your secret for completing 5 events in 3 minutes and harvesting 20 resources in 5.

but OP, mmos have always been about who can play the most wins. you’ll still get your amulet, but it will take longer and i don’t know why that bothers you. there has to be a balance between the people that play 30 min a night and the people that play 8h a day.

5 minutes in Orr and you’ll have plenty of mithril // wood + doing a few dense events. You know I’m speaking the truth.

you avoided the events part. even if you jump around events, the vast majority take much longer than 3 minutes. you i’m speaking the truth.

I’ll educate you on this one:
Tag 2 events, usually penitent and shelter.
Go to R&D, rush to wizard, then head down to spider.
So far, if you’re a warrior, that’s less than 5 mins guaranteed.

Last event can be anything of your choice, I just leave it be as I’ll either get it in fractals or just randomly bump into one later on. (if I’m really desperate for quick evnets, I just go to lowbie areas)
20 gatherings can be easily done in ML central area where in many cases there is a rich Mithril and a whole bunch of other nodes spread around. (can also be done if you still wait for peni/shelter to finish)

There you go, 8 mins more or less.

1+1 = potato

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

No need for me to comment. Your answer is literally scattered on this board and youtube.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Avatar.1923

its to keep people login in.
some sense of “achievement and progression”.
30+hours for an amulet that will change the game, making it much cooler! ..
especially if you have 100% map.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What bothers me is that it requires an uninterrupted 1h per day (time for daily + time for monthly roughly divided across the 20 days) x 20 days streak. I am fully aware that the developers have more ways to obtain items planned out for us in the future. But is this a good start?

For whom? Players? Not so much. Developers however…
It’s rather obvious that devs are doing everything in their power to make ascended eq hard to get, while at the same time creating illusion that they are fixing their FotM-introduced mistake. If you look at it that way, then the laurel system is working perfectly – there’s no way anyone’s going to get a single amulet before at least 20 days passed, with 50 days more for two rings. This of course means that noone that can do FotM will buy rings with laurels, even if they don’t like Fractals. And of course backpacks are still FotM-only. It’s extremely likely, that any new pieces, when they appear, will be also achievable through some gating system only at least at first.

The absence of ascendants that can be obtained through other, more casual-friendly means (vendors, crafting, TP) is significant.

In other words, their “solution” to heir old promise that grinders will not have significant advantage over casuals is to make it an equally tedious grind for everyone.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I think they’re a very poorly impelemented alternative to in-game currency. Every time they add a useless badge of this sort it only makes the economy of their game that much more useless (And when you consider the economy in this game, you really can’t get much worse than what it’s at right now). They also show the level of ‘grind’ that is required in this game. Having a daily give 1 and a monthly give 10 is fine. The problem is how you need to do 5 different quests to get your daily… each should be their own daily. If you do all 5, you get a bonus. If you do 5 of 7 days, you get a bonus. If you do 20 of 30 days for a month you get a bonus.

This is how you introduce a useless badge system and not make it feel so painful when doing it.

Each ‘daily’ consists of 5 quests for 1 laurel.
Each of these quests should give a laurel.
If you do all 5, you get a bonus laurel.
If you do 5 of 7 days, you get a bonus 5 laurels.
If you do 4 of these ‘weeks’ you get a bonus 10 laurels.

That’s almost 200 a month if you do them all which is still only a couple items for a months worth of effort that aren’t any better than most of the alternatives out there.

Gear should be handed to us… it’s the unique skins that we should be ‘grinding’ for.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Per week:
- Kill 500 enemies.
- Kill 20 different enemy types.
- Kill 50 Veteran enemies.
- Dodge 50 attacks.
- Craft 50 items.
- Gather 100 ingredients.
- Do 50 events.

Each of those tasks above rewards 1 Laurel and the usual rewards. You can either blaze through them all in a single day (getting 7 rewards at one go), or slowly complete them separately or together over the course of the week. At the end of the week, the player still ends up in the same spot, but they have the option of either getting it all done quickly or at a slower pace, whichever suits their gaming schedule better.

Actually I quite like this idea, it would help people who can’t log in every single day.

It would help people that want to zerg through it and get it over and done with for a week, instead of having to mess around with poxy dailies. Then we can get on with what we want to, not be tied to the dailies.

And I reckon, do your weekly for 4 weeks on the trot, should give you your monthly, not add in extra stuff for the mothlies.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Saxon.1908

Saxon.1908

The Dailies are great. IF you only have 30-60 mins to play you can go and focus on the Daily to get it done- but if you are going to settle down to several hours of Game time then you can just slowly collect the Goals as you play.

If we changed it to a weekly system I think we would lose some of that ability to just get it done by the ‘natural’ motion of playing the game. And that Would make me sad.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: docledd.9682

docledd.9682

no no dailies, no get laurels

what is problem?

No Laurels, No Ascended Amulet (for now).
Got it?
Cool

No ascended amulet, no game?
You dont need ascended gear to play the game at its best.
Got it?
Cool

There are also runes and armor available only through dungeon vendors. I dont see many people crying about not being able to get them because they dont do dungeons.

Dailies are just another option in this game. You dont need them.
Got it?
Cool:)

Its like complaining about not being able to recieve a quest reward if you dont do the quest. Simple logic.

(edited by docledd.9682)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Riot.5210

Riot.5210

The only issue I really have with it is the Dodging, that takes me forever. Some of my dodges do not seem to count, and seeing as how I play a Mesmer and Elementalist primarily, I do a lot of rolling around to stay at range.

I also have concerns about the crafting daily, although I am not sure how it works precisely as I have not run into the problem of all professions being maxed. Will it count if you continue to make Jute Cloth or something equally cheap if it no longer provides you with skill-ups? If not, and I am sure there are people out there, how do they complete this daily without crafting with seriously expensive materials? More of a theoretical concern, I suppose.

I would look forward to new ways to earn them, getting just one per day kills my inner-farmer. I like to grind things out when I have the time for it. I am a student and some days I have more time to sit and play video games than I do others. Not an obligation of course, but I do still want to earn the Laurels. I want one of the mini-pets >_>

° Illusionist Alaeis – Mesmer | Meryl Winterfell – Guardian | Meryl Tonberry – Elementalist
° Stormbluff Isle

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

The hell are you doing that makes it take an hour per day for your daily?

Underwater kills: About 5 minutes
Crafting: 1 minute
Dodges: 2 minutes

please post a video of you doing this.

no really….

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Halo.1679

Halo.1679

What I want to know is how the current laurel system gets you to go back and experience content from all the maps no one uses any more. That was supposed to be one of the big highlights of this new system, to make the lower level zones more rewarding and worth playing in again.

As it is right now, there is no reason to visit different zones since new daily and monthly can be done in any zone. Sure they are easier to do in a lowbie zone, but the reward is the same either way.

The living story somewhat does this, but, it took me a whole 10 min to complete so not really feeling that one. I really hope they will be adding more ways to get laurels by doing achievements in different zones in the next patch. I’m pretty sure they mentioned this was coming in the next 6 months somewhere, but I can’t seem to find it.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: purpleskies.3274

purpleskies.3274

I personally like the Laurel system. I would prefer you have a choice of doing 4/X dailies so you could fit it to what you like doing, but other than that I think it is a good system.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I also have concerns about the crafting daily, although I am not sure how it works precisely as I have not run into the problem of all professions being maxed. Will it count if you continue to make Jute Cloth or something equally cheap if it no longer provides you with skill-ups? If not, and I am sure there are people out there, how do they complete this daily without crafting with seriously expensive materials? More of a theoretical concern, I suppose.

Once you’ve maxed crafting, even top tier mats don’t get you experience and a skill-up. I’ve crafted copper ingots and gotten credit even when I got no “experience” or skill up for doing so. This means the game is counting the making of the material, not the experience gained for doing so.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Zookeeper.2513

Zookeeper.2513

Since there’s more than just Acended gear that you can get with Laurels, I think they could’ve implemented more ways of getting them than just the Dailies/Monthly. Other ways could’ve included:

- The bags that drop off bosses in other dungeons. ie…3 Dungeon marks/1 Drop Karma/1 Laurel. (Would probably help prevent groups from skipping easy bosses…ie Kohler in AC).
- Chest events; 2-3 in the chest at the end. This would probably help boost people doing World Events AND might actually make South Sun Cove a World Event hub instead of a wasted zone as it is now. (This would also help those who don’t dungeon grind.)

These are just 2 things that could’ve been implemented or a variation of this that would’ve helped those who don’t grind out FOTM on a daily basis.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Why were Laurel not backdated???
Make mystic coins tradable for Laurels!!!!
130+ coins in bank, I feel ripped off!!!

Yeah, that would have been fun, but the reason most new currencies introduced into MMOs aren’t retroactive is because one of the purposes in introducing the new currency in the first place is to get people to spend time on the game. That purpose is defeated for all but new players unless everyone starts out on an even playing field, thus no retroactive rewards.

Laurels. Thoughts?

^

got to see it for what it is..

“laurels” are the flavor of jan-feb-mar months.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

OP’s complaints are valid, and are easily remedied if ANet makes laurels purchasable through karma/badges of honor/skills points etc.

Which defeats the whole point of getting people out of LA and playing the game. If you could trade tokens for laurels people would just do speed runs for them.

The same for doing them on multiple characters, start toon do daily delete start toon etc etc 30 laurels from a weekend grind.

Ok in a few months when people have rings and amulets and laurels are sitting in the bank if you “miss” a day wont seem so bad but i understand the OP’s point i feel guilty if i dont do the daily atm.

If once a week you got a daily double ie miss the previous day you do twice as much today for 2 laurels it would give people a little more flexability.

No, making laurels convertible through currencies that you acquire from doing anything (karma, skill points) or WvW will get people out of LA. The current laurels for dailies system does not get people out of LA because its still much slower than fractals, hence why gw2lfg.com is still filled with fractal listings.

Or it could be that there are quite a few people who consider Fractals fun and a good group activity.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Laurels. Thoughts?

fractals are the most fun/ fair challenge you can get out of the pve in this game.

everything else (which is a lot) is for levelling up.
and world bosses for the show. no need to play, just press 1 and follow the zerg.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Zookeeper.2513

OP’s complaints are valid, and are easily remedied if ANet makes laurels purchasable through karma/badges of honor/skills points etc.

Which defeats the whole point of getting people out of LA and playing the game. If you could trade tokens for laurels people would just do speed runs for them.

The same for doing them on multiple characters, start toon do daily delete start toon etc etc 30 laurels from a weekend grind.

Ok in a few months when people have rings and amulets and laurels are sitting in the bank if you “miss” a day wont seem so bad but i understand the OP’s point i feel guilty if i dont do the daily atm.

If once a week you got a daily double ie miss the previous day you do twice as much today for 2 laurels it would give people a little more flexability.

No, making laurels convertible through currencies that you acquire from doing anything (karma, skill points) or WvW will get people out of LA. The current laurels for dailies system does not get people out of LA because its still much slower than fractals, hence why gw2lfg.com is still filled with fractal listings.

Or it could be that there are quite a few people who consider Fractals fun and a good group activity.

A lot of people enjoy FOTM, but it doesn’t mean that everyone does. They should’ve added more ways to get Laurels from the start when they dropped it last patch. Just another half thoughtout patch.

Laurels. Thoughts?

a super thought out patch.

its called; crowd control.

anet decided that playing fotm isnt the flavor of the month and that going back in the open world is.
but they didnt really made it challenging enough for a geared toon imo.
orr events are still big zergs.
its really difficult to balance “open world”…

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

The hell are you doing that makes it take an hour per day for your daily?

Underwater kills: About 5 minutes
Crafting: 1 minute
Dodges: 2 minutes

please post a video of you doing this.

no really….

Everything except the Events in 3-4 minutes is easily doable.
Underwater Kills…all those 1pt fish count

Gathering…with 3-4 resources per node 20 comes fast

Crafting…refining those resources you just farmed gets you there

Dodges….I use 3 – 4 Golems in an area I go to and stand in the sustained attack and dodge through 2x each one. You get 2-3 Evades per dodge depending how much of the sustained attack you go through.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The biggest issue I have with this:

1 -it’s per account rather than per character.
Anyone who has more than one toon is given a big fat middle-finger by ANet.

2 – you have no real choice in what shows up on your dailies or monthlies. Don’t like them, tough.

3 – you have no way to do multiples on one toon or one account if you happen to have the time. At least in the other titles ANet scoffs at, you can do as many dailies as you want.

This is nothing but artificial kitten-blocking.

Well, I think that is ok, because on the flipside people who do not wish to play multiple characters would feel left behind.

Here is how I understand the system:

- it’s not meant to be another grind, but rather a potential reward over time or a different way to obtain “stuff”.
- it’s not complete yet, laurels will be rewarded for other achievements as well – you might get more because you finished the personal story on multiple characters (race/order).
- choices for the dailies will come

More flexibility would of course be great, perhaps there could be a weekly achievement that is only available if you haven’t been online for the last 5 days and will then reward equal to 5 dailies. This would certainly be good for people who only play on the “weekends” (whatever days their personal weekend is).

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

1. Remain calm.
2. Hear me out.
3. Share your thoughts.

What bothers me is that it requires an uninterrupted 1h per day (time for daily + time for monthly roughly divided across the 20 days) x 20 days streak.
[EDIT] I apologize if this sounded like I’m looking at it as a chore. The point I’m trying to get across is that perhaps there should be a more flexible way to handle laurels. Like something else other than the daily quest, with a weekly cap sort of thing.

The flexible way to get the laurels is to do it when you feel like it.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

The new patch brought the laurel system as we know. With it the new ascended amulet. By a rough calculation it would take 20 days to obtain that single item.

What bothers me is that it requires an uninterrupted 1h per day (time for daily + time for monthly roughly divided across the 20 days) x 20 days streak. I am fully aware that the developers have more ways to obtain items planned out for us in the future. But is this a good start?

Everyone who is complaining about “grinding” laurels or concerned about losing dailies and taking longer to get the amulet should sit down and reflect on the following question:

How will obtaining an Ascended amulet improve my in-game experience?

In my experience, the Ascended gear, in the limited quantities currently available, has little impact on gameplay. Let us take a look at the various game types:

Open PvE & Exp. dungeons – Currently, all open world PvE and explorable dungeons can be completed reasonably in a full set of Rare gear (probably Masterwork, but I haven’t tried some of the harder paths in greens). If you acquired an Ascended amulet today, would it be the difference between life and death during the Grenth event? Or when fighting Lupicious? Probably not. The best an Ascended amulet will achieve is expediting content you can already complete.

Fractals – The current AR cap is 25 or 30? Based on the rule of thumb of 1 AR per 2 FotM levels, you would need to be at FotM 50+ before you need this amulet. For those at FotM 50+, I suppose I can understand the complaints about grinding. However, and lets be honest here, if you are this high in fractals, you probably do not mind a bit of a grind anyway.

WvW – Many people will make the case that Ascended gear is required in WvW. Unfortunately, they are wrong. WvW is not balanced around 1v1 confrontations, where the extra stats would have the largest impact, but around large scale sieges. Would you wearing an Ascended amulet cause that failed SM siege to have completed successfully? Not at all. Individual stats have a small impact on the large scale battles, when compared to things like siege deployment, positioning, and discrepancies in army size.

Some will argue that it would make a huge difference if one team had all Ascended and the other all Exotic. This may be true, but it is a statistically invalid argument. It is a safe statistical assumption that multiple servers (especially when divided into ranked tiers) will have similar distributions of Ascended gear.

Lastly, people will say they need Ascended to remain competitive in 1v1s. I do not argue that the extra stats would benefit you in a 1v1 situation. However, you can still be very effective in 1v1s even in Rare gear (again, personal experience), to the point of winning a majority of encounters. Furthermore, WvW was never intended to be balanced around small encounters; if you are seeking fair and balanced PvP, sPvP is the appropriate place to look.

So what is my point in all of these ramblings (aka TL;DR inc)? ANet instituted a system where you will gradually earn your way to Ascended gear while playing the game naturally (or mostly naturally, kitten underwater kills). If you do not enjoy the content that you must engage in to complete the dailies, earning an Ascended amulet will be unlikely to make you enjoy that content any more. If you are so focused on the gear grind that it is frustrating, you are likely creating a problem where none exists, and where the reward will not offset the frustration.

Essentially, they changed the paradigm from “if” I get Ascended to “when” I get Ascended. Good first step IMO.

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Laurels are pure genius from a design perspective. They created a reward system to offer some of the best items in the game to people uninterested in fractals, by piggy-backing the entire reward structure on a currently existing achievement format (i.e. – dailies, monthlies) that people were already doing anyway.

What’s not to like?

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

Dailies should stay the same until complete. So for example if I accomplish 75% of the daily, I should be able to complete that daily the next day and at least get 1 laurel even if it means I don’t get a new daily that day after I complete the old one. This should be the same for monthlies as well.

People should be rewarded for participating in these dailies/monthlies even if they can’t always finish in one day/month. Do I think they should get the same amount of laurels as the people that finish the same day or that month?…..of course not, but something is better than nothing.

Personally I have had no problem keeping up, but I see many friends that are struggling with this.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Laurels. Thoughts?

IndigoSundown.5419

Everyone who is complaining about “grinding” laurels or concerned about losing dailies and taking longer to get the amulet should sit down and reflect on the following question:

Ascended gear was put in to be a goal. It should not seem strange that when a company adds an incentive to a game, people want it — that’s why developers create incentives in the first place. Needing the stats is irrelevant.

And yes, I read the rest of your post. What you did not take into consideration is the power of want.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Wandar.3607

Wandar.3607

People were complaining about the fact that they couldn’t obtain Ascended gear without doing Fractals. Anet listened and provided a new system where everybody can get this gear by just playing the game. I, for one, am thankful for this.

Also, there is no rush in obtaining Ascended gear. Why would it be? Why do you need it NOW?

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

Laurels for dailies don’t bother me at all… people complained that it was hard to get ascended items unless you farmed high fractals… so the devs gave us an easy way to get that gear just by playing regularly… seems like a good deal to me… if they didn’t do this, you’d have nothing to even complain about… this is honestly like a bonus for playing

The two things that kind of bother me is that you can’t get events anymore for doing dungeons… and that now we get less experience for dailies because of only one reward tier

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I agree with this post in general, if not the specifics.
what annoys me is that they added laurels because they didn’t want ascended gear to be limited to fractals (as they said: they planned it to be available in more places, but they planned it poorly with that release). The annoying part is that now ascended amulets are highly limited to laurels, and through them: dailies and monthlies. not everyone wants to be doing dailies and monthlies to get top-tier amulets, just as not everyone wanted to be doing fractals to get top-tier rings and back pieces.
I can only hope they stop futzing around and provide their more ways to get ascended items.
hint / suggestion: either let them be purchased everywhere they are available, or each in their own place. having rings, back, amulets, infusions available from laurels but only rings and back available from fractals and infusions crafted is plain stupid. how many other examples of this do you have in gw2? zero. it would be like being able to craft weapons in mystic forge but not armor and be able to craft armor in crafting stations but not weapons, then trinkets would be available from vendors and dungeon tokens, but back pieces are only available from dungeon tokens.
sorry, I stand corrected: there is one other area that is similar to this foolishness: breathing aparatuses. and I can only hope you’ve seen how people gripe about how they’ve been overlooked since day one.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: foenxz.8564

foenxz.8564

I thought Anet introduced Ascended items for fractals only, because they introduced agony. Apart from that, Ascended items are really not worth the time investment vs the stat boost over exotics. It made sense that you used fractal relics from Ascended items, because that’s the only place you really needed them.
Now Anet introduces Ascended items in exchange of laurels, WITHOUT agony resistance. How do they justify spending 30 or whatever laurels for such items for a measly increase of stats, because these items give no agony resistance.
Either let us buy Ascended items WITH agony resistance infusions with laurels, else its just a gimmick by Anet to lure in people to do their dailies with laurel rewards, so that they can show impressive daily login stats, without much gain for the players themselves.
I can gear my toon with all types of ascended items, but he’s still going down to that thief 1v1 in WvW, with or without ascended gear :-) , stats be kitten

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People don’t need BIS gear to play this game…they want it. And if they don’t go into the fractals, they don’t need agony resistance. So I’m not sure what all this fuss is about.

I don’t know about other people but I play MMOs long term. So if it takes me two, three months to get something…so? When I get it, I’ll have it.

The problem is everyone wants moar, now. And you know, it really doesn’t make the game better.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

Ascended gear was put in to be a goal. It should not seem strange that when a company adds an incentive to a game, people want it — that’s why developers create incentives in the first place. Needing the stats is irrelevant.

And yes, I read the rest of your post. What you did not take into consideration is the power of want.

Oh, I completely understand the power of want. Truth be told, I will likely be purchasing my Ascended amulet on day 20 as well (unless I CBA to do 5 dungeons by then). However, I also enjoy the game and was logging in almost daily pre-laurels. For me, the power of want means I might play a few extra nights and I adjust my play style to add in some underwater kills and crafting.

On the other hand, it seems that several people in this thread have surpassed the power of want and submitted to the power of compulsion. As soon as someone is submitting to multiple hours of “grindy” and otherwise un-fun gameplay just to see some new shiny pixels, that person should consider whether the time investment for the reward is really worth it (IMO, it is not as discussed above).

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: MasterGeese.4756

MasterGeese.4756

Frankly I don’t see what the point of adding laurels was in the first place.

Karma basically shares a purpose with Laurels: A currency that you gain by going out into the world and doing things, as opposed to sitting on one’s proverbial behind in Lion’s Arch all day and spamming lfg fractals level 46.234. And we were already getting a healthy sum of karma from completing our dailies! Why not just make a karma vendor with the same items as the laurel vendor has now? This would also solve the current issue of there being no real karma dumps for people who don’t care about their legendaries.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: blinkxzero.8035

blinkxzero.8035

Per week:
- Kill 500 enemies.
- Kill 20 different enemy types.
- Kill 50 Veteran enemies.
- Dodge 50 attacks.
- Craft 50 items.
- Gather 100 ingredients.
- Do 50 events.

Each of those tasks above rewards 1 Laurel and the usual rewards. You can either blaze through them all in a single day (getting 7 rewards at one go), or slowly complete them separately or together over the course of the week. At the end of the week, the player still ends up in the same spot, but they have the option of either getting it all done quickly or at a slower pace, whichever suits their gaming schedule better.

Actually I quite like this idea, it would help people who can’t log in every single day.

I second this. Make them weekly instead of daily. Have them reset the middle of the week (like Wednesday). That gives Friday, Sat, Sun, Mon available to complete them — and you cover weekends in other countries as well! (note: I’m from US, but obv Anet has had issues with dealing internationally with their one time events record).

I stopped playing WoW many years ago and the thing I don’t miss at all was “doing my dailies”. Forced logging into the game every day is bad design for a game like GW2 which is marketed as a “play at your own pace” game.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Karma basically shares a purpose with Laurels: A currency that you gain by going out into the world and doing things, as opposed to sitting on one’s proverbial behind in Lion’s Arch all day and spamming lfg fractals level 46.234. And we were already getting a healthy sum of karma from completing our dailies! Why not just make a karma vendor with the same items as the laurel vendor has now? This would also solve the current issue of there being no real karma dumps for people who don’t care about their legendaries.

because you can farm karma to an unlimited amount per day.
laurel is limited, meaning anet controls our progression better with laurels than karma.

karma is basically gold that you cannot buy with gems aka real money.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Diy.5296

Diy.5296

I think it’s not perfect, but that it’s fine. Dailies should be… daily, if you log on that day, you get that chance to do it, if you don’t, then there is always another one when you are playing.

The community in this game baffles me. I’ve played a lot of MMO’s and the whiners in this one truly come off as the most self-entitled and lazy bunch. I don’t understand why in this community people think they should get everything they want, and to be able to obtain them doing only the activities they want to do, and that everyone needs to obtain every item at the same pace reguardless of how much time they play. I want X achievement, but I don’t want to Y activity to get it, this is unfair to me. I want X item, but I can only play a limited Y amount of days, so people who play everyday will get it faster than me, this is unfair to me. No that’s kitten life kiddo, people who work more, should achieve more, and sometimes you have to suck it up and do what’s needed to be done to get it.

I like that the game forces people into specific content to get that specific item, I would never have run FotM, if I didn’t want to get ascended rings and backpiece.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Zookeeper.2513

I think it’s not perfect, but that it’s fine. Dailies should be… daily, if you log on that day, you get that chance to do it, if you don’t, then there is always another one when you are playing.

The community in this game baffles me. I’ve played a lot of MMO’s and the whiners in this one truly come off as the most self-entitled and lazy bunch. I don’t understand why in this community people think they should get everything they want, and to be able to obtain them doing only the activities they want to do, and that everyone needs to obtain every item at the same pace reguardless of how much time they play. I want X achievement, but I don’t want to Y activity to get it, this is unfair to me. I want X item, but I can only play a limited Y amount of days, so people who play everyday will get it faster than me, this is unfair to me. No that’s kitten life kiddo, people who work more, should achieve more, and sometimes you have to suck it up and do what’s needed to be done to get it.

I like that the game forces people into specific content to get that specific item, I would never have run FotM, if I didn’t want to get ascended rings and backpiece.

But that last part is what people have a problem with. People came into this game because it didn’t “force” people into content that they didn’t want to do. If you didn’t want to dungeon grind, cool, WvW or Karma/World Event farm, or craft. If you didn’t like WvW, you had Karma/World Events, dungeons, or crafting. Can go on and on., but in the end, there were many routes to end up at the same point. Anet actually said they weren’t going to introduce Vertical Progression, but with FOTM, that’s what we got. Only place to get certain gear. I don’t think most people are complaining about not having ascended gear handed to them, but are complaining about having only one route to get them, ie the vertical progression.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

I like “laurels”. They give me an alternative way to get “obsidian shards”. What i DON’T like, though, is getting 10 for the “monthly”

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Czar Peter.7961

Czar Peter.7961

because you can farm karma to an unlimited amount per day.
laurel is limited, meaning anet controls our progression better with laurels than karma.

Why would that be bad? People who farm karma do not get an advantage over those who don’t; they either get a wider variety of ascended items or they can cash in their karma, but the rewards can be priced such that cashing in karma is not too much more profitable than other ways of farming. Another way would be to make ascended items cost skills points like mystic weapons. The point is that you can work towards it no matter how you play, like exotics.

Anyway, I expect that ANet will implement something like this in the future. When more ascended items come out, ANet can’t seriously expect a new player to spend 6 months after reaching level 80 to log in every day and do dailies to get max gear.

Engineer – Thief – Warrior

Laurels. Thoughts?

IndigoSundown.5419

Oh, I completely understand the power of want. Truth be told, I will likely be purchasing my Ascended amulet on day 20 as well (unless I CBA to do 5 dungeons by then). However, I also enjoy the game and was logging in almost daily pre-laurels. For me, the power of want means I might play a few extra nights and I adjust my play style to add in some underwater kills and crafting.

On the other hand, it seems that several people in this thread have surpassed the power of want and submitted to the power of compulsion. As soon as someone is submitting to multiple hours of “grindy” and otherwise un-fun gameplay just to see some new shiny pixels, that person should consider whether the time investment for the reward is really worth it (IMO, it is not as discussed above).

People getting obsessed over “better” pixels in video games? Yup. This is the internet, after all. Your initial post went into a lot of effort in what was essentially a call for sanity. As much as there is merit to this, it was probably a waste of time, since a lot of people on the internet are impervious to rational thought.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

There are also runes and armor available only through dungeon vendors. I dont see many people crying about not being able to get them because they dont do dungeons.

Got it?

Its like complaining about not being able to recieve a quest reward if you dont do the quest. Simple logic.

You dont need to wear any gear to play the game at its best.
In other words just be naked. (Hope you understand simple sarcasm)
Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple fact.
Got it?
Cool

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Terrible idea which adds to the grind which further breaks Anet’s maneifesto.

How is it grind? 30 dailies or days for 1 item? Really? And its not like this is a cosmetic item its a STAT item. Wait didn’t they say that stat grind progression wasn’t suppose to be big well this seems big and since it does what I stated it break their maneifesto.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

Got it?

Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get any rewards. Simple scenario.
Got it? Its not rocket science.
Cool

Too Funny and Too True.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

Got it?

Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple fact.
Got it?
Cool

I absolutely agree with this guy!!!
Usually I roam in WvW destroying anyone in my way! then this guy came and steamrolled me before I realized what happened.

Only later I found out through a friend that he had full ascended gear.
Pfft… this is bs, we need some justice to this crazy stat boost!!!

1+1 = potato

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

Got it?

Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple scenario.
Got it? Its not rocket science.
Cool

Actually the “optional” counterargument (which I see getting thrown around a lot) doesn’t work on practical grounds. It’s really quite relative. Sure, it’s “optional” to run around naked in game, but is it practical? No. In the same sense, it’s also “optional” to run around in exotics instead of ascended, but this time, is this practical? Yes.

So yes, if you don’t like dailies, don’t do them. It’s optional, but not game killing.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Wait for them to implement the retroactive rewarding of Laurels for non-daily/monthly achievements before you start complaining.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Why aren’t these things spread right through the game, they are bound so if bots get them they are useless to them, why must i wait 20 days to get one or do a Fotm gear treadmill…

They were going to add more reasons for doing open world and wvw yet i’ve seen zero additions..