Laurels. Thoughts?

Laurels. Thoughts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

These dailies are neat but are sorta boring. Why not just change up actual game mechanics and convince us through them instead of the overused daily system to play older content?

Its funny how about 90% of tyria is ignored because once your 80 and done your hearts there is no reason to ever enter those areas again.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: RanTiannai.1592

RanTiannai.1592

Everyone who is complaining about “grinding” laurels or concerned about losing dailies and taking longer to get the amulet should sit down and reflect on the following question:

How will obtaining an Ascended amulet improve my in-game experience?

Ascended gear was put in to be a goal. It should not seem strange that when a company adds an incentive to a game, people want it — that’s why developers create incentives in the first place. Needing the stats is irrelevant.

And yes, I read the rest of your post. What you did not take into consideration is the power of want.

Oh, I completely understand the power of want. Truth be told, I will likely be purchasing my Ascended amulet on day 20 as well (unless I CBA to do 5 dungeons by then). However, I also enjoy the game and was logging in almost daily pre-laurels. For me, the power of want means I might play a few extra nights and I adjust my play style to add in some underwater kills and crafting.

On the other hand, it seems that several people in this thread have surpassed the power of want and submitted to the power of compulsion. As soon as someone is submitting to multiple hours of “grindy” and otherwise un-fun gameplay just to see some new shiny pixels, that person should consider whether the time investment for the reward is really worth it (IMO, it is not as discussed above).

By compulsion you mean entitlement? ;P That’s what an awful lot of it seems like to me.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

It’s a step away from RNG drop system – a small step, but a step nonetheless.
So from that aspect, I welcome the Laurels.

Now, just implement more ways to do it so I don’t have to spam-grind FotM and can ‘play my way’ in this game.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Everyone who is complaining about “grinding” laurels or concerned about losing dailies and taking longer to get the amulet should sit down and reflect on the following question:

How will obtaining an Ascended amulet improve my in-game experience?

Ascended gear was put in to be a goal. It should not seem strange that when a company adds an incentive to a game, people want it — that’s why developers create incentives in the first place. Needing the stats is irrelevant.

And yes, I read the rest of your post. What you did not take into consideration is the power of want.

Oh, I completely understand the power of want. Truth be told, I will likely be purchasing my Ascended amulet on day 20 as well (unless I CBA to do 5 dungeons by then). However, I also enjoy the game and was logging in almost daily pre-laurels. For me, the power of want means I might play a few extra nights and I adjust my play style to add in some underwater kills and crafting.

On the other hand, it seems that several people in this thread have surpassed the power of want and submitted to the power of compulsion. As soon as someone is submitting to multiple hours of “grindy” and otherwise un-fun gameplay just to see some new shiny pixels, that person should consider whether the time investment for the reward is really worth it (IMO, it is not as discussed above).

By compulsion you mean entitlement? ;P That’s what an awful lot of it seems like to me.

I’m pretty sure that you and the poster you quoted are not talking about the same thing.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I like Laurels, and would like to exchange my Mystic Coins that I may not use for them.

I understand the reason it is Laurels and not Karma, and not Mystic Coins:

- It’s not Karma because you can farm Karma open-ended over the course of a day.
- It’s not Mystic Coins because those are used in Forge recipes for odd pieces of equipment.
- It’s not “Achievement Points” since people probably still have huge backlogs from “Agent of Entropy” and such.

It’s Laurels since they can control the income of Laurels through awarding them on a 1/Day average and 38-41/Month maximum. Meaning they fully expect people to have Ascended amulets within a month, and definitely predict people will have them within two months.

Now can we find other ways of earning Laurels which keeps them limited but more broadly achieved? Like, perhaps, special exploration rewards or for finishing bits of the Living Story?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Now can we find other ways of earning Laurels which keeps them limited but more broadly achieved? Like, perhaps, special exploration rewards or for finishing bits of the Living Story?

How about personal story awarding 5 laurels in it’s own right

Jumping puzzles could have a drop chance for laurels, just like Vets/Champions. There’s plenty of stuff that hasn’t been properly fleshed out.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Laurels. Thoughts?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

How about personal story awarding 5 laurels in it’s own right

Jumping puzzles could have a drop chance for laurels, just like Vets/Champions. There’s plenty of stuff that hasn’t been properly fleshed out.

Champions which aren’t part of DEs, sure. Veterans, no. There’s way too many Veterans skulking about a few areas; it’d be too easy to scrape up your 30-40 Laurels in two days. It’s clear ArenaNet designed this so it’d take around a month. I would say shaving a week off that (at most) is the biggest thing.

Jumping Puzzles, I’d rather have the chests drop the minor Liquid Karma items. Especially since the Orrian Jewelry Boxes exist now as an alternative for Obsidian Shards (and sheer gold).

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

A lot of people seem to think that if they don’t do dailies, then they ‘lose’ laurels. People shouldn’t see it in that light.

If you do ten dailies a month, then you have ten laurels. Yes, you will have less than someone who did it everyday, but in the end you didn’t lose any laurels. You were just rewarded for your participation. Is it really so wrong for another player to have more than you? I wouldn’t say so, because you still get out of the game as much as you put in.

That counts for other aspects of the game as well. If you don’t do dungeons daily in the game, then you will have less tokens than someone who does. If you don’t WvW daily, then you’ll have less badges than someone who does. There’s no need to feel limited because of your limited time. Instead feel rewarded for the amount of time you do put in.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Actually the “optional” counterargument (which I see getting thrown around a lot) doesn’t work on practical grounds. It’s really quite relative. Sure, it’s “optional” to run around naked in game, but is it practical? No. In the same sense, it’s also “optional” to run around in exotics instead of ascended, but this time, is this practical? Yes.

It’s practical only because ascended eq is so much harder to get. It’s the price and price only that makes ascended unpractical to get. It still does not make them optional. BiS is never just optional. Or rather, it’s as “optional” as playing the game is.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

A lot of people seem to think that if they don’t do dailies, then they ‘lose’ laurels. People shouldn’t see it in that light.

If you do ten dailies a month, then you have ten laurels. Yes, you will have less than someone who did it everyday, but in the end you didn’t lose any laurels. You were just rewarded for your participation. Is it really so wrong for another player to have more than you? I wouldn’t say so, because you still get out of the game as much as you put in.

That counts for other aspects of the game as well. If you don’t do dungeons daily in the game, then you will have less tokens than someone who does. If you don’t WvW daily, then you’ll have less badges than someone who does. There’s no need to feel limited because of your limited time. Instead feel rewarded for the amount of time you do put in.

Indeed. If I play half the days in any given month, it’s a lot. Real life is a puppy.

I don’t really care so much about missed laurels. Instead, I’m happy because they give big rewards for the small amounts of game time I have.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: docledd.9682

docledd.9682

no no dailies, no get laurels

what is problem?

No Laurels, No Ascended Amulet (for now).
Got it?
Cool

No ascended amulet, no game?
You dont need ascended gear to play the game at its best.
Got it?
Cool

There are also runes and armor available only through dungeon vendors. I dont see many people crying about not being able to get them because they dont do dungeons.

Dailies are just another option in this game. You dont need them.
Got it?
Cool:)

Its like complaining about not being able to recieve a quest reward if you dont do the quest. Simple logic.

You dont need to wear any gear to play the game at its best.
In other words just be naked. (Hope you understand simple sarcasm)
Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like complaining about not being able to recieve a quest reward if you dont do the quest. Simple logic.
Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple fact.
Got it?
Cool

I absolutely agree with this guy!!!
Usually I roam in WvW destroying anyone in my way! then this guy came and steamrolled me before I realized what happened.

Only later I found out through a friend that he had full ascended gear.
Pfft… this is bs, we need some justice to this crazy stat boost!!!

Agree with what? The guy didnt steamroll you because he had a +50 stat difference on what you call full ascended gear (which is simply not possible due to item cost and overall rewards available up until today), he steamrolled you because he was better or had a better build. Simple as that. Or is that just not possible given the fact you simply destroy everything in your way? lawl

As for jabronee, yes you can run through the game naked or you can start crying you need to do some dungeons or crafting to get exotic gear. What about the dungeon gear/runes argument? You simply disregarded that?
Second, ascended amulets and backpieces can be crafted. So no, you dont need your dailies to get them. Third, its actually like saying if you cant be arsed doing a specific content type you are inclined to whine simply because the option is there. Which type of pvp are you actually referring to? Spvp or WvW, cause afaik you can get the best gear in game just by doing that content alone.

Ascended gear as it is now only serves less skilled people to transfer performance anxiety onto a different principle.

And people should start taking medication for their ocd.

(edited by docledd.9682)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

there is no logical counter to this suggestion as you can still only complete 1 daily every 24h.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

There are also runes and armor available only through dungeon vendors. I dont see many people crying about not being able to get them because they dont do dungeons.

Got it?

Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple scenario.
Got it? Its not rocket science.
Cool

Actually the “optional” counterargument (which I see getting thrown around a lot) doesn’t work on practical grounds. It’s really quite relative. Sure, it’s “optional” to run around naked in game, but is it practical? No. In the same sense, it’s also “optional” to run around in exotics instead of ascended, but this time, is this practical? Yes.

So yes, if you don’t like dailies, don’t do them. It’s optional, but not game killing.

Running around in exotics instead of ascended is practical? lol!
We got another one here!
So what you are saying is those with Ascended Gears are Noobs and anyone with only exotics could kill em always as to the stats are optional?
Amazing find indeed.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

what is problem?

Got it?
Cool

Got it?
Cool

Got it?

Got it?
Cool

Ascended Amulet.
Got it?
Cool

Its like saying hey Pvpers if you are not at least a 70% Pver then you aint gonna get the rewards. Simple fact.
Got it?
Cool

I absolutely agree with this guy!!!
Usually I roam in WvW destroying anyone in my way! then this guy came and steamrolled me before I realized what happened.

Only later I found out through a friend that he had full ascended gear.
Pfft… this is bs, we need some justice to this crazy stat boost!!!

Agree with what? The guy didnt steamroll you because he had a +50 stat difference on what you call full ascended gear (which is simply not possible due to item cost and overall rewards available up until today), he steamrolled you because he was better or had a better build. Simple as that. Or is that just not possible given the fact you simply destroy everything in your way? lawl

As for jabronee, yes you can run through the game naked or you can start crying you need to do some dungeons or crafting to get exotic gear. What about the dungeon gear/runes argument? You simply disregarded that?.

lol i really lol at this one.
Bravo! You just wasted your time typing out your assumptions.
And fyi lil one, i dont get my exotics by running Dungeons. Thats for you.
I’ve Pvp for it. WvW is Pvp too fyi. If im not wrong, its in the Pvp Catagory of the forum. Have a look.
I know you wanna sound LEET but cmon, most if not all players at least have a toon with Full Exotics by now.
Well thankyou for your interest in this topic. I like this one

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

It’s practical only because ascended eq is so much harder to get. It’s the price and price only that makes ascended unpractical to get. It still does not make them optional. BiS is never just optional. Or rather, it’s as “optional” as playing the game is.

Performance wise, I can’t even tell if the other person has ascended or not (until their agony resistance shows). In exotics vs ascended, as far as I’m concerned, we can still a) complete dungeons quickly, and b) the extra damage you do on full ascended still doesn’t seem to make killing people in WvW any easier.

Running around in exotics instead of ascended is practical? lol!
We got another one here!
So what you are saying is those with Ascended Gears are Noobs and anyone with only exotics could kill em always as to the stats are optional?
Amazing find indeed.

How you came to that conclusion that I think people in ascended gear are noobs, I don’t know. Weird logic there bud. As for the rest, refer to my reply above.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I think it’s just something new to farm.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

Oh dear, not this again. Ok man, you were right and I’m sorry. I was wrong to say 1h per day. I’m sure many have worked out their unique spots and pattern that enables them to their dailies in under 30 minutes. Can we discuss about the fact that it still takes 20 days of uninterrupted daily logins which is the actual topic? What’s your Pro and Cons on this?

It does not take uninterrupted logins. You can spread them out. Your “fact” isn’t a real thing, it is an illusion you’re creating for yourself.

As such, discussing pros and cons about an issue that doesn’t exist, is irrelevant.

If you still have an issue about not getting gear yesterday, google content locust and read the first 4 links. There’s a very good reason why laurels are calender gated.

oh dang. so that is what you call them people. content locusts i like that…
the article i read said something about asceneded gear coming out over the course of a year.. read it if you like. makes me feel bad for them people.

It is so much better to play just 30 minutes or an hour every day and to know i can’t get this item any faster.. than to stand in one spot for a weeks just killing the same monster till i quit because it is too mind numbingly boring. People don’t want to grind, people do want do play the game very much.. but still want the best gear and stuff.. this is the only game i have played that allows such a thing. its absolutely fantastic.

who still wants to go kill 50000 enemies just for that one last level or extremely low change of fancy gear? seems like they forgot what real grinding was.. if they even ever played any games that actually required it. *cough knight online, fiesta, runescape *cough, fantasy earth zero, twelvesky *cough …… and that just to name a few… seriously.. sit back, enjoy the game do what you like to do…

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Current rewards are utter garbage. So save up until something decent is released.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Meowwilson.5106

Meowwilson.5106

endless cat tonic is not garbage and neither is chauncy von snuffles III
T_T

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Shadowfey.5427

Shadowfey.5427

As an ex-Wow player coming to GW2, I have to say I am quite happy with the laurel system. To compare with my WoW playing experience:

Having to spend an hour or less a day to get a laurel – that’s a tiny amount of commitment for the casual player like me. Last WoW expansion I played, every faction had it’s own list of 4-6 daily missions, each taking anything from 5 to 20 min each. There were at least 8 factions, and you had to do these dailies to gain reputation points only useable for that faction. The reputation gain from each daily mission was negligible, and you were also capped at 25 dailies/day, so you couldn’t run all your factions’ dailies on your day off for example, you had to commit several hours a day every day. Even doing that, it took weeks or months to get enough reputation to get access to the top-end gear from any one faction, no faction sold a complete gear set, so you had to gain reputation with multiple factions, and the top-end gear they sold was at best equivalent to “exotic” GW2 gear. Yes there were other ways to get faction rep, but for a casual player, grinding top-level dungeons with a random group of people (heavy proportion of jerks compared to the GW2 community) for hours a day was never a pleasant option. So spending an hour or less a day to get my laurel is diddly in comparison.

The laurel items aren’t that good – well, after just a week of doing the daily for a laurel, I got the heavy crafting bag each time, and had enough mats to make an exotic weapon AND a piece of exotic armour. Again, I’m a casual player, and grinding kills or running dungeons to get mats is just not something I have a ton of time for, or really enjoy. Despite the fact that the mats from bags are random, they give me a good way to get exotic level crafting mats with a minimum of effort, just some time and luck. Plus, there are lots of other items I can get for laurels, and at a pretty reasonable cost… 2 class-specific rare/exotic gear pieces for just 5 laurels? GREAT! In WoW, the daily grinds for reputation, items, etc. were far more time consuming, boring, and the rewards were less useful, more expensive, and more restricted.

It takes too long for players to get the legendary items – Just giving the casual player a way to get legendary stuff, even if it takes a while, is AMAZING! In Wow, I played for years, but because I didn’t constantly run raids or get into pvp tournaments, I never got a single piece of top-level gear. And as for it taking too much time or effort, well, this stuff is supposed to be legendary… if they sold it at the 7-11 it would kind of lose that feeling. I feel that it should take a fair bit of time and effort to acquire these top-end items, and if I’m not able to run a ton of dungeons or the highest level events all the time, then it should take me longer… at least I have a chance to someday get these things at all.

Overall I like the daily laurels. For a truly minor amount of time and effort, I can get fun and useful items, and I don’t feel like I’m being unfairly restricted because of my casual play-style.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Gathering: 5 minutes
Events: about 3-4 minutes total

i’d love to know your secret for completing 5 events in 3 minutes and harvesting 20 resources in 5.

oh wait, there isn’t one.

but OP, mmos have always been about who can play the most wins. you’ll still get your amulet, but it will take longer and i don’t know why that bothers you. there has to be a balance between the people that play 30 min a night and the people that play 8h a day.

i also think this is more casual friendly for slowing it down so much and not having it in fractals, which take longer than the daily most of the time.

You can easily get 20 gatherings in 5 minutes, especially in Cursed Shore where you’ll often find 6 or more trees/ores next to each other, consider that each one gives you 3 gatherings and there you go.

There’s also plenty of multi stage events that are only a few minutes long.

You can do plinx and get credit for:

Defend plinx as he repairs his suit.
Defend plinx as he heads to the drop zone.
Take control of the drop zone.
Defend plinx as he heads to the nearby outpost

And if broodmother or arena is up, which will be the case 90% of the time, you can tag something there and get credit.

Alternatively if your server is in a lower tier for WvW you can probably just

Post to other servers borderlands.
Head to the little island at the south.
Kill the sentry there to take that spot, and then intercept the 2 dolyaks from the nearby supply camp.

That’s 3 events in like 2 minutes.

Anet make Rev great again.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

I wanted a way to get Ascended gear without doing Fractals and I got it. It’ll take awhile to get all of ascended gear I want, but that’s to be expected for a long term MMO goal that doesn’t even necessarily require stepping foot in content that could conceivably be called challenging. I don’t need my alternate path to getting the gear to be quick or easy, I just wanted one at all.

I play the game because I enjoy playing it, not because I like seeing my stats go up. New loot is just a goal to work towards while I’m doing things I already enjoy. If I didn’t like PvE then I wouldn’t be logging in at all, even if getting the best gear was super quick.

edit: To add to the above post, the Duke Barradin area in one of the Charr zones (can’t remember which at the moment) is another good way to get some quick events. If the event is active then there will be 3-4 named ghosts, each of which counts as an event completion on defeat. And if the event isn’t active then the area will be full of vet slimes, which makes the vet killing daily go by quickly.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

(20 days for an amulet +50 to 60 days for 2 rings) x 5 characters. More for anything else you might want there, while the fractal monkeys are tossing stuff away.

Equal rewards for everyone playing the game how they want to play. Nice idea.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

(20 days for an amulet +50 to 60 days for 2 rings) x 5 characters. More for anything else you might want there, while the fractal monkeys are tossing stuff away.

Equal rewards for everyone playing the game how they want to play. Nice idea.

. . . not equal rewards, equal opportunity. The availability is there, just not as fast/easy. And honestly, with Ascended gear only required flat out for Fractals with agony going on (currently)? So what if it takes a couple months for someone who doesn’t want to do Fractals? They don’t have to. And if they don’t want to do Fractals, they don’t need Ascended gear yet anyway.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You can easily get 20 gatherings in 5 minutes, especially in Cursed Shore where you’ll often find 6 or more trees/ores next to each other, consider that each one gives you 3 gatherings and there you go.

There’s also a spot in Malchor’s Leap in the Valley of Lyss where a Veteran Earth Elemental guards a stand of Cypress. There’s . . . last time I saw seven trees there. If Lyssa’s temple is in progress you can probably get those events (four of them) and the Wren defense.

There’s a potato farm in Metrica Provence which isn’t hard to reach and has about half the gathering you need. I would need to check but I think it’s possible to get your full Gathering with them and the trip there. Also, I think Thaumanova-related events can kill your 5 event requirement easily enough.

On a good day where everything clicks and I burn money doing Waypoint travel instead of walking, I can probably knock out 90% of the daily in under half an hour. I can definitely do the whole thing in less than an hour.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Revolution.6301

Laurls are like FOTM but even more annoying.

BURN THEM BOTH AT THE STAKE.

That is all.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

That is all.

I agree..

How are either of these things going to fix any of the issues this game is currently dealing with? Answer they aren’t..

Laurels wont fix loot issues and it wont fix open world, it doesn’t help wvw and it wont stop people leaving in droves..

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

And getting laurel/day isn’t content. It’s just annoying chore which i need to do even if i don’t wanna play some day.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Laurels. Thoughts?

Revolution.6301

That is all.

I agree..

How are either of these things going to fix any of the issues this game is currently dealing with? Answer they aren’t..

Laurels wont fix loot issues and it wont fix open world, it doesn’t help wvw and it wont stop people leaving in droves..

Dante your common sense is OUSTOUNDING!

Have a cookie, you clearly deserve it.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Laurels are a job.

I took an arrow to the knee

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

I AM THE WORST PLAYER

I’m 30 years old and slow… over all a bad player.

Yet I have no trouble dodging, no trouble with earning gold…
Take me 30 minutes to complete daily…

How is it taking people an hour for dailies?
Why do they have trouble with dodging?
Why do they complain about paying for TPs?

Seriously, I play this game cus it’s easy.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Once you realize that it’s just an artificially gated time-sink to hold you over until actual content is introduced, you get really upset at first and then learn to accept that there’s nothing you can do about it.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Revolution.6301

Laurels are a job.

+1

Yep thats what if feels like. Your forced to work to get the 1. You do NOT have a choice. The entire idea was meant to appeal to people who enjoy grind.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Sarys.6520

Sarys.6520

Where is hardy ?

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I can /map Barthol event, start it, and hit one of the centaurs when he moves out. As long as there’s another person or two that responds to what I said in map that’s all I need. I can waypoint out and move on to another event – let the other players finish that event off.

It’s a good job for you not everyone’s as selfish as you, isn’t it?

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I do most of the daily stuff just by playing the game so it’s hardly noticeable as a job for me.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I like it for the random set of requirements, but I feel like things like veteran slayer or events need to include things like champions or higher and dungeons.

Often I don’t always have a lot of free time, and I find myself forgoing things I’d really enjoy, like dungeons, or doing champion level events, because I know they won’t count towards the daily.

Given that the game expresses the requirements in a percent for the daily, why not just provide multiple ways of filling up any given requirement? For example, for killing veterans, each counts as 20% of the bar, but maybe the silver ringed dungeon npcs count for 15% and champions count for 40%.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

20 days+monthly per amulet. lets say i have four level80’s and i don’t do fotm. Do you HAZ any idea how many months will it take to get 4 amulets/8 rings+infusions!!!!!!? Their system isn’t bad, isn’t LOL, but completely broken.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

The laurel system is about as exciting as washing the dishes. The pace they are dolled out is completely controlled and contrived – metered to a satisfying rate for those that play every single day and yet have just one character to equip.

“Dailies” are just a manipulative method to inflate online presence by coercing people to play when they don’t want to play. Apparently the old daily wasn’t ham-fisted enough to do the trick. However, people begrudgingly logging on to hurry through them don’t really add to my experience when I play, because they just want to “get it over with”. If they are in my guild they might not even say hello.

This isn’t new content, and falls somewhere between inconsequential (you already play every day) to pure grind (you played the game a lot already and still want to play sometimes so now you have to log in to avoid falling behind).

Apparently ANET plans to complete the laurel system later. But let me ask you… Why does ANET release broken systems with the promise of fixing them later? This game should remain functional and satisfying at all times.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Laurels. Thoughts?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I like it for the random set of requirements, but I feel like things like veteran slayer or events need to include things like champions or higher and dungeons.

I’d like champion kills to show up on Monthly, not on Daily. Why? Because I can’t solo Champions outside of starting areas all that well (and even then, only a choice few can I actually do that with reliably). And Dungeons are already on Monthly…

. . . I need to get to doing those, come to think of it. Just need to find people running them.

The laurel system is about as exciting as washing the dishes. The pace they are dolled out is completely controlled and contrived – metered to a satisfying rate for those that play every single day and yet have just one character to equip.

“Dailies” are just a manipulative method to inflate online presence by coercing people to play when they don’t want to play. Apparently the old daily wasn’t ham-fisted enough to do the trick. However, people begrudgingly logging on to hurry through them don’t really add to my experience when I play, because they just want to “get it over with”. If they are in my guild they might not even say hello.

This isn’t new content, and falls somewhere between inconsequential (you already play every day) to pure grind (you played the game a lot already and still want to play sometimes so now you have to log in to avoid falling behind).

. . . you use the word “coerce”, but I think you meant “entice”. See, there’s a nontrivial difference there. If they were coercing you to log in every day, that would be by charging you for not doing anything, penalizing you for not playing. Enticing you to play involves putting rewards into place so that you want to play so you can get the rewards.

Enticing you to play daily isn’t evil, or wrong. Every game which has an online multiplayer presence does that in some fashion or another.

. . . and “falling behind”? Look, if you’re not doing Fractals with agony, then you don’t need Ascended Gear yet. There are four slots currently holding it and until armor starts being released those four slots aren’t critically important. The Amulets have the new “Utility Infusion” which have interesting effects but “required”, really? I don’t have Ascended gear . . . heck I’m still running around in mostly Rares . . . but I’m not seeing where I can’t do content other than high-level Fractals.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Yenkin.5410

Yenkin.5410

My thoughts on this is thank goodness it does not take up an inventory slot. I figure at the very least I will have enough for the Amulet and infusion in 40 days if I do the daily every day.

I am trying to get the monthly done but it has been a challenge to get a PUG to do dungeons anymore. I am hearing less call outs in LA for dungeons and fractals, which I can only conclude is that folks are slowly leaving the server or quiting the game. This game has some great potential, but to many paths leads to nothing.

Example, PvP I see no complelling reason to do this, I can’t even do a daily often because I have to get high stat, as a ranger I seem to be dead more often than alive. I see PVP as a time waster.

WvWvW another time waster in my opinion giant zerg lag fests, that have little reweards.

My 2cents

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

. . . you use the word “coerce”, but I think you meant “entice”. See, there’s a nontrivial difference there. If they were coercing you to log in every day, that would be by charging you for not doing anything, penalizing you for not playing. Enticing you to play involves putting rewards into place so that you want to play so you can get the rewards.

Let’s see a definition of “entice”:

Entice: to attract artfully or adroitly or by arousing hope or desire.

No, that definitely is not what I mean… nothing artful about saying “dodge 15 times every day and we’ll give you a few more stat points.”

Coerce: to compel to an act or choice.
Compel: to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure.

Now I wouldn’t exactly use the word “overwhelming” when describing the pressure, but it is a pressure. Yes, “coerce” is pretty much what I mean.

. . . and “falling behind”? Look, if you’re not doing Fractals with agony, then you don’t need Ascended Gear yet. There are four slots currently holding it and until armor starts being released those four slots aren’t critically important. The Amulets have the new “Utility Infusion” which have interesting effects but “required”, really? I don’t have Ascended gear . . . heck I’m still running around in mostly Rares . . . but I’m not seeing where I can’t do content other than high-level Fractals.

As hard as it is for you to understand, people have satisfaction from achieving the pinnacle of their character. Introduce a system where they are drip-fed new and better gear, and they feel compelled to play along. After all, there is no possibility to “catch up”… you are always going to be down X laurels and who knows why you might want those? Or maybe they just quit.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

(edited by Fortuna.7259)

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I hate the dailies. It feels like you log on to do a chore now.

Completely grindy objectives that really need another look. How is going into a low level lake to kill aquatic monsters anything but a stupid time sink? Or having to go to a map with dead NPCs if you haven’t got the revives?

The majorly unfortunate thing about dailies is they even out more towards 4-5 hours of “not paying attention” and getting them anyway play, or an hour focusing on them. That’s a really bad design for something that’s really so inconsequential.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

I hate the dailies. It feels like you log on to do a chore now.

Completely grindy objectives that really need another look. How is going into a low level lake to kill aquatic monsters anything but a stupid time sink? Or having to go to a map with dead NPCs if you haven’t got the revives?

The majorly unfortunate thing about dailies is they even out more towards 4-5 hours of “not paying attention” and getting them anyway play, or an hour focusing on them. That’s a really bad design for something that’s really so inconsequential.

And the old dailies weren’t any worse?

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

And the old dailies weren’t any worse?

I didn’t do those. I’ll do these only to an amulet I guess and never again. So your point is kind of moot they replaced lame with lame.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

I like the laurels/daily idea.

Keep in mind that dailies existed before laurels did. They were not as rewarding to do and I had no motivation to complete them.

With laurels and the rewards they bring, are now motivating me to do my dailies again. I know it will affect other players in a similar fashion.

The end result? More active players for GW2. That’s good news!

Also, how can you not like the rewards that the daily offers? I’m wondering if you can find pre-cursors in those exotic boxes…..? hmmmm interesting.

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

Laurels. Thoughts?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Let’s see a definition of “entice”:

Entice: to attract artfully or adroitly or by arousing hope or desire.

No, that definitely is not what I mean… nothing artful about saying “dodge 15 times every day and we’ll give you a few more stat points.”

Coerce: to compel to an act or choice.
Compel: to cause to do or occur by overwhelming pressure.

Now I wouldn’t exactly use the word “overwhelming” when describing the pressure, but it is a pressure. Yes, “coerce” is pretty much what I mean.

As hard as it is for you to understand, people have satisfaction from achieving the pinnacle of their character. Introduce a system where they are drip-fed new and better gear, and they feel compelled to play along. After all, there is no possibility to “catch up”… you are always going to be down X laurels and who knows why you might want those? Or maybe they just quit.

Hey, way to pick and choose a single interpretation of “entice” when what you ignored is the last bit: “hope or desire”. You’re expected to “desire” what is the end result. But, hey, I don’t expect you to do that when you think there’s compulsion to do the Daily . . . for some reason, now, even though they always gave you:

- Lots of experience doing each achievement part.
- 5 Silver at the end, plus a Mystic Coin you could sell for another silver if you didn’t want it.
- Later, a Jug of Karma worth a base 4500 Karma.
- Sometimes, rarely, a BLC item.

That’s coercion? Looks like enticement to me. And none of this covered what the old system had you do; the coin you could make selling what you gathered, or from events, or loot from the kills.

Now they added Laurels, and something to trade Laurels for: the Ascended Amulets. The rings you can get doing Fractals, which is what you need the rings for later, but the amulet is only through Laurels currently. Of course, you can still do just fine with the rings from doing Fractals but now that there’s an amulet ArenaNet is twisting your arm to do dailies.

You’d be better off pointing to the miniatures and cat tonic and saying how collectors are utterly screwed over with the Laurels than whining and whimpering about Ascended gear. I mean, I can understand why though. When it comes to the pink gear the official forums are like an echo chamber . . . you get more people agreeing with you if you say the words “gear treadmill”.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

1. Remain calm.
2. Hear me out.
3. Share your thoughts.

The new patch brought the laurel system as we know. With it the new ascended amulet. By a rough calculation it would take 20 days to obtain that single item.

What bothers me is that it requires an uninterrupted 1h per day (time for daily + time for monthly roughly divided across the 20 days) x 20 days streak. I am fully aware that the developers have more ways to obtain items planned out for us in the future. But is this a good start?

What I’m trying to say is that a little flexibility would be nice. I don’t think binding laurels to dailies that are lost once skipped is a good idea.

Would it be better if we had a weekly system?

[EDIT] I apologize if this sounded like I’m looking at it as a chore. The point I’m trying to get across is that perhaps there should be a more flexible way to handle laurels. Like something else other than the daily quest, with a weekly cap sort of thing.

If you compare how long it takes to get any ascended gear with the effort required to get exotic gear it seems that the whole raison d’être of ascended gear is to be a massive time sink for OCD players.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: celicynd.9420

celicynd.9420

Secondly,
Dodging, i find it ridiculous for Rangers. Why?
Pets

I turn my pet to peaceful and usually have no issue…. easiest way to get dodges on a ranger is equip a greatsword. spam 1, get dodge quota super fast.

Laurels. Thoughts?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Why no back pieces? in laurel vendors?
Why isn’t Ascended dropping from mobs like every other piece of equipment does in game?

Why yet another time sink that very few want, suppose to be added in game at launch, sorry you implementation tells me otherwise.