Leather Farm

Leather Farm

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Maniak.7069

Maniak.7069

I know we’ve barely had time to explore since the patch, and I’m probably just missing it, but has anyone found the “challenging group-farming spot for leather” that was mentioned last week?

Leather Farm

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I didn’t see it in the patch notes so…~shrugs~

Maybe I’m missing it too? Buried somewhere like the Gift of Battle update?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Curious about this too. Perhaps it is on the new map and we have to discover it

Leather Farm

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Wrapped in spoiler tags in case someone perceives something to be a spoiler.

“As players venture towards the north of the map, the centaur dominance becomes more clear. Bloodstone crazed centaurs stampede around the map, and getting caught in this stampede a single time is an almost certain death. We approach a centaur camp, where all centaurs drop a form of leather material. The developer leading us mentions that this is “the new leather farming location.”

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1841-head-of-the-snake-launched-impressions/

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Leather Farm

Randulf.7614

Thanks for the heads up Ayrilana.

Can’t say I am a fan of this idea. It locks the farm behind those who have access to ls3ep4 only and doesn’t benefit the wider playerbase. Better drops and salvage rates were the answer imo.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Can’t say I am a fan of this idea.

Neither am I, as it is impossible to solo-farm (unless you manage to run through in a hurry, but even then you are bound to die eventually, and the nearest waypoint is on the opposite side of the map).

Leather Farm

Randulf.7614

Neither am I, as it is impossible to solo-farm (unless you manage to run through in a hurry, but even then you are bound to die eventually, and the nearest waypoint is on the opposite side of the map).

In their defence it is meant to be group farmed.

But, that’s the big issue I have with it. Why is one quarter of the core mats farm locked behind a group? Metal, wood and Cloth are not. Leather should not be the exception. This was a design decision I cannot understand how it got approved.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

You don’t even get a bunch of t6 from it its mostly other leathers which explains the new low for t5 leather and why t6 leather hasnt budged. I did the farm a few times today and one time when i salvaged 40 patches i got 32 thick leathers and 3 hardened and some other leathers. This is our new hardened leather farm? Seems more like a thick leather farm to me which we didn’t need. Overall throughout the night for every hardened piece i got, i got a ton more thick.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Would have preferred an adjustment on overall drop and salvage rates as well. I’m sure groups will form eventually and you can LFG for it, but I’d rather not have to.

Leather Farm

Fremtid.3528

In b4 thick is at npc price again.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Can’t say I am a fan of this idea. It locks the farm behind those who have access to ls3ep4 only and doesn’t benefit the wider playerbase. Better drops and salvage rates were the answer imo.

If supply increases then the wider playerbase benefits (or suffers) whether or not they have access to LS3-4.

Leather Farm

Posted by: BlackDragon.2084

BlackDragon.2084

I don’t like it either. I mean this is one of the 4 main resources, why is it so hard to get? I mean this should be the one you can the easiest. Killing animals and taking off their skin. That’s it. So why is it so complicated and rare?
Also, if this is high level contend, even high level group content. What will player do who don’t have HoT or want to play/farm solo? Or just start playing the game? I think this is a bad idea, but I am curious how this will change the leather prices. Or if you can only farm high level Leather. I mean why making high end contend and then only throw mid and low level loot at you? Why not making one place for every leather tier? There are routes you can farm for every other metal or wood or what ever you need. But this is missing for leather.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

A leather farm locked behind a group and LS3 story?

For the GW2 team this is innovative. It is far better than the Bitterfrost berry-loot farm.

Leather Farm

Randulf.7614

If supply increases then the wider playerbase benefits (or suffers) whether or not they have access to LS3-4.

I understand the theory here, but these are core basic mats which everyone should have the option to farm directly or buy directly. They should be treated like the other core mats. Rarer, prestige mats would be more appropriate for niche group farms.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In their defence it is meant to be group farmed.

It’s just too badly done. Solo, it’s almost impossible to farm effectively, but in group it becomes laughably easy. There’s no real middle ground here.
“Challenging content” it is not. Merely a gate against solo players.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Leather Farm

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

I know we’ve barely had time to explore since the patch, and I’m probably just missing it, but has anyone found the “challenging group-farming spot for leather” that was mentioned last week?

this leather ?

Attachments:

Leather Farm

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

This makes me want to run it. GW2 is normally unfriendly for grouping. Most other maps are extremely solo-friendly where players just do whatever and loot.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

Leather Farm

Posted by: Lord Drekar.4619

Lord Drekar.4619

This leather farm is a great idea. Making it impossible to complete map exploration in this area without heading into it, is literally the worst thing that could have been done. Unless you are a thief or can stealth/survive a ridiculous level of punishment, you will not be able to solo map exploration here (or even do it with a 5-man party).

One of my guildies used 10 res orbs to get to this PoI just so she could finish map completion. Lined walls of snipers that can one shot you? assorted champs and veterans and elites in a huge mixture? a wall of charging centaurs pushing you back constantly? Map completion should not be locked behind a material farm. I love GW2, but honestly, this feels like pretty poor map planning.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

This leather farm is a great idea. Making it impossible to complete map exploration in this area without heading into it, is literally the worst thing that could have been done. Unless you are a thief or can stealth/survive a ridiculous level of punishment, you will not be able to solo map exploration here (or even do it with a 5-man party).

One of my guildies used 10 res orbs to get to this PoI just so she could finish map completion. Lined walls of snipers that can one shot you? assorted champs and veterans and elites in a huge mixture? a wall of charging centaurs pushing you back constantly? Map completion should not be locked behind a material farm. I love GW2, but honestly, this feels like pretty poor map planning.

I soloed my way up to the POI as a staff zerker ele relying on reflects from Magnetic Aura coming from earth 3, rebound, and Overload Earth. There’s a huge but obscure shortcut that takes you to the end of the trail, straight into the POI. Go from the peach tree eastward. There should be a path that takes you to a mastery point. Around that area is a hill that you can climb, full of debris. This debris is a jumping puzzle type of obstacle, and upon climbing it you can run directly to the POI.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Lord Drekar.4619

Lord Drekar.4619

I soloed my way up to the POI as a staff zerker ele relying on reflects from Magnetic Aura coming from earth 3, rebound, and Overload Earth. There’s a huge but obscure shortcut that takes you to the end of the trail, straight into the POI. Go from the peach tree eastward. There should be a path that takes you to a mastery point. Around that area is a hill that you can climb, full of debris. This debris is a jumping puzzle type of obstacle, and upon climbing it you can run directly to the POI.

I did find that path, and it did seem a little better than the main route. I was on a viper necro, and so don’t have much in the way of reflects, and death shroud is no protection, as the snipers just wipe that out and then continue on your health in a matter of seconds. I understand it’s meant to be a group farm, but it seems a little harsh locking map complete behind it. I eventually caved after an hour and used a teleport to friend to get up there (to a mentor who parked a character there just for that purpose).

It might get easier in a few days, when the maps are less full, but it was not easy to find a map I could join even to just teleport to someone.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

The farm is fizzling out before it even got started. The “low” prices of leather (due in part to the announcement of the farm), coupled with the rather tame drops (from the farm) just isn’t holding players’ interests. U net approximately 3-4 gold worth of leather from an hour of farming ; general opinion is that it ain’t worth the time.

Leather Farm

Fremtid.3528

Really the fact that the bloodstone hides salvage mostly into thick leather is a spit in the face to their promise to lower t6 prices and a kick in the balls to the players.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Did they remove the ability to mystic forge t5 for t6?

Leather Farm

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Can’t be easy if they don’t want to price to crash back to NPC.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Leather Farm

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I found the path you were talking about, but that final dash is….well I couldn’t get the POI with Elites and Champions just about one shotting me every time.

At any rate, I suppose that area is supposed to be a zerg-dream, but I have yet to see a single zerg go up there.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

At any rate, I suppose that area is supposed to be a zerg-dream, but I have yet to see a single zerg go up there.

There were numerous zergs earlier when the patch hit, but the interest waned dramatically. If this farm was supposed to boost leather supply, it’s failing in that purpose.

Leather Farm

Fremtid.3528

Did they remove the ability to mystic forge t5 for t6?

It costs a stack of thick leather 5 crystalline dusts and 1 hardened leather (which has actually gone up not down since the patch. To upgrade in the forge for 10 hardened leather which (surprise) costs more to make than 10 leather is worth.

Leather Farm

Fremtid.3528

It wouldn’t be cost effective even if thick leather were half the price it was right now and people aren’t going there for the thick leather they want t6

Leather Farm

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

forget the trading post price, is it possible to forge the leather you want with the leather you get? people get so hung up on the trading post…it is possible to grind mats if you really want them.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

forget the trading post price, is it possible to forge the leather you want with the leather you get? people get so hung up on the trading post…it is possible to grind mats if you really want them.

If you do want to go this way Justine here’s a tip:

On the West side of this map you can find a nice area/event where ghosts feature which are very kind to leave behind incan-dust when they die. I’m pretty sure these are needed in that upgrade process. If not for the leather maybe for more of the tier 6 dust if people are low on that.

Either/or I made a mental note of this spot when I was passing through as I need a ton of this dust atm for guild upgrades.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Leather Farm

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

not sure why adding a skinning tool and tie the tiers of leather to the various mobs depending the lvl of the zone you would be so hard?

Leather Farm

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

I’m gonna sum up that farm in one sentence. “Challenging” and “Farm” do not go together.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

now that is a real waste of revive orbs
considering how much they can be worth it certain situations (especially when you cant get help from other players that easy)

It is pretty easy to get to the PoI even solo…
At least if you dont take the front way and walk 20x longer through centaurs…
If you just use the other way Anet provied by climbing up the ruins from southwest then you just have to run like 10 meters before entering the PoI-room
And those 10 meters can easily be survived with
blocks/reflects/invuls/dmg reduction/stealth/teleports/rush skills/pets or minions as bait

Also your friend could have just waited 1-2 days until people farm the map effectively and im sure a zerg will form at some point who can just steamroll the centaurs together … like anet intended it
And if you really want to get it solo then just use the sneaky way i mentioned

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Leather Farm

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

now that is a real waste of revive orbs
considering how much they can be worth it certain situations (especially when you cant get help from other players that easy)

It is pretty easy to get to the PoI even solo…
At least if you dont take the front way and walk 20x longer through centaurs…
If you just use the other way Anet provied by climbing up the ruins from southwest then you just have to run like 10 meters before entering the PoI-room
And those 10 meters can easily be survived with
blocks/reflects/invuls/dmg reduction/stealth/teleports/rush skills/pets or minions as bait

Also your friend could have just waited 1-2 days until people farm the map effectively and im sure a zerg will form at some point who can just steamroll the centaurs together … like anet intended it
And if you really want to get it solo then just use the sneaky way i mentioned

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Leather Farm

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

The new farm spot does its job.
Its not broken like AB was (good riddance) but it still provides a decent amount of leather.

The only thing about is how hard it is to reach the POI. Not every class has a perma stealth or million reflects.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Thanks for advising of the alternative route. I went the idiot way last night (what glorious failure!); it was a bit much for a simple PoI. XD

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Leather Farm

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Stealth is your friend. Thief and Engi can farm like crazy here. Run around, open stashes, and no one touches you.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Leather Farm

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The new farm spot does its job.
Its not broken like AB was (good riddance) but it still provides a decent amount of leather.

The only thing about is how hard it is to reach the POI. Not every class has a perma stealth or million reflects.

Made it as revenant. No reflects or stealth.

My trick was glint/shiro, use staff+ sword/sword. Rotate blocks from staff 3 and staff 5, swap to sword for seord 4 block.

Rotate your heals.

When you are in Shiro, use impossible odds as it gives you superspeed and superpeed makes you move really fast in combat as you dodge.

Use Glint heal when you expect big hits from snipers and you have no dodges or weapon blocks.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Doric Lake centaur camp its the leather farm.

How much it impacts the economy, we will see, theorically, it does its to mantain leathers in a “not so high value”, because if a leather piece its at 1s, theres a huge chance they will not be farmed actively. This will specially be more notorius when the new map end its ls chapter cycle and players migrate/disperse in to other maps.

It doesnt help players so that they naturally get good quantities of leathers with playing around in all the game, neither will adress leather prices totally imo (for rentability in the farm they will not drop that much).

As its now it looks like a palliative, that will be more effective at the start but will lose a lot of power in 3 months. In any case, time will say.

Imo a better solution will be to increase salvage leather drops or/and pelts from animals and monsters. That way it will not be forced and the prices will end in prices similar to ores.

Leather Farm

Randulf.7614

65 hides from the leather farm got me 50 thick leather and 5 hardened leather.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

You don’t even get a bunch of t6 from it its mostly other leathers which explains the new low for t5 leather and why t6 leather hasnt budged. I did the farm a few times today and one time when i salvaged 40 patches i got 32 thick leathers and 3 hardened and some other leathers. This is our new hardened leather farm? Seems more like a thick leather farm to me which we didn’t need. Overall throughout the night for every hardened piece i got, i got a ton more thick.

This.

I trudged my way up there solo, running with as much swiftness as I could muster, got mad enough to use revive orbs in Sharpshooter Alley (thanks for hating on melee some more, ANet…), but I managed to thug a few boxes on the way up.

My reward (aside from a great jump-off point to explore the northern section of the map) was 2 thick leather sections.

Woo. :|

That aside, I do look forward to dragging guildies in and doing it properly, but still, the leather rewards are not what we were hoping for.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Leather Farm

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

not sure why adding a skinning tool and tie the tiers of leather to the various mobs depending the lvl of the zone you would be so hard?

It’d be even easier to give zone-level appropriate loot to mid-level zones and have all armors give the possibility of salvaging cloth or leather in addition to whatever else they drop, since they all use it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Leather Farm

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

The reason the leather farm is already failing is because it’s boring. Just endless mobs. Why not tie the leather drops to meta events so its at least something different here and there and people are out actually doing the events. Hell i would have been happy with AB ML chests being changed to dropped leather…at least then a meta chain would be getting done.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Leather Farm

Randulf.7614

There are are a lot of ppl at the leather farms Ive been at, which makes me wonder if there are enough ppl doing the main map events

Leather Farm

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

Did leather “farm” for an hour.

Anet, you have failed, again.

- More zerg content, which people have screamed at you not to put into the game.
– More risk is not worth the reward content.
– This is supposed to be the heralded answer to leather shortages? – Rofl. Good luck when no one is doing it in two weeks because prices tanked and thick leather will too in the next couple of days.
- Also, good luck getting a group that’s willing to do it when the above happens.

Back to Silverwastes.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

But that means the farm does what they wanted it to do: It’ll tank the price. Perfect.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Leather Farm

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

But that means the farm does what they wanted it to do: It’ll tank the price. Perfect.

The point is that it will temporarily tank it, people lose interest, leather rises, but not back to the point people are willing to do it again because they are already onto a new map or activity. Obviously a new source of leather will, in the long run, reduce the price of leather. That isn’t in question. The question is whether it will reduce the price a meaningful amount in the long run. Also, this farm seems to only address the cost of thick leather and nothing else.

Finally, you have to compare whether it makes more sense to do this underwhelming leather farm or to just farm SW and buy leather at a higher price.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

This is true, but it still would have made more sense to simply tweak the drop and salvage rates.

Leather Farm

Posted by: TheVindelator.8239

TheVindelator.8239

A small tweak to the salvage rates of hardened leather and none of this would be an issue really.

It’s crazy that thick leather is vendor priced and hardened is so out of balance with cloth.

Leather Farm

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It won’t. People are still doing it only because they haven’t realized yet that it’s not really worth it. T5 leather (which is what you get mostly from this) was never a problem, and t6 won’t be impacted at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November