Legendary weapons

Legendary weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

To sum up: they advertised A, they did not provide A, and say they refuse to provide A. Therefore they falsely advertised about A.

Wrong. They did not advertise A, and no reasonable person could argue that they did.

There is a difference between someone selling a box of chocolates that’s half-empty and someone offering to, say, make you a chair and then coming back a while later to apologise and explain that their lathe is broken and they can’t make you a chair right now.

This is the latter, and there is nothing in their advertising that any sane person could argue contradicts that.

Except that their tools are not broken, they are just choosing to use them on something else.

right now, anet is that one odd kid that always eats the glue.

I like you.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Legendary weapons

Posted by: evilunderling.9265

evilunderling.9265

I hope their business model could support that. Do you think they need the sales from ex-pack purchases to fuel the previous development?

That is a legitimate worry.

I think that if it’s a choice between watching the game die and watching the game sail over the line into pure cash-grab player-milking machine territory, I’d rather watch the game die.

And I think that if enough people start regarding the game as a pure cash grab player-milking machine, then it could end up becoming something not unlike a self-fulfilling propecy, with Anet forced to make that same choice. So I think they’re definitely in a place where they need to start worrying about that line, even if they’re not in a position to do exactly what I proposed.

(edited by evilunderling.9265)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

This was a decision that makes sense. Legendary weapons, no matter how awesome, have a very low impact on the game’s activities.

Here it is again.

Thats your opening argument. People presented counter arguments against that. Now you are shifting the goal posts. You didnt “clarify” so much as admitting your argument was proven completely false. You might as well have said legendary weapons dont cure aids, therefore they were rescinded

I fail to see how I didn’t discuss the counter arguments. I saw one; that Legendaries are impact for the economy. My response was simple and true; They aren’t being removed, so they still have that same impact; I never claimed they didn’t.

My claim is very simple; Legendaries are low impact content in the game; in otherwords, they are lots of work, little benefit to the game; low ROI. For some reason you’re stuck on not being able to make the connection between what I mean between low impact and return on investment, even though I have provided you with multiple clarifications, including again, this one. That’s not backtracking, that’s not shifting goalposts; that’s ALWAYS been my position.

If that was always your position it REALLY should have been in your first argument thwn shouldn’kitten Otherwise why is the onus on others to understand what you’ve misled

I think it’s rather disingenuous to imply I’ve misled you since I’ve clarified what I’ve said many times. Unfortunately, I can’t force anyone to read more than they are willing so if you’ve gotten stuck on my first post and can’t move on, I’m not willing to accept blame for that.

My position hasn’t changed; Legendaries are too low impact and not worth the effort to develop for what it brings to the game. MOB’s decision was a good one. I hope his next good decision is to provide double the Gemstore content, or more varied content. People making Legendaries doesn’t keep the lights on. There are other more engaging activities Anet should focus on to get people to play and buy stuff at the Gemstore.

Frankly, I think this is a sign Anet needs to review how they value their development time and efforts. Seems to me they are giving it away too cheaply in too short a time. In hindsight, seem to be a pay to access real time scheme would be more appropriate because players wouldn’t feel ripped off.

“You want access to these three new Legendary paths? OK you pay”. I would go for that.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Spira.4578

Spira.4578

Legendaries are too low impact and not worth the effort to develop for what it brings to the game. MOB’s decision was a good one. I hope his next good decision is to provide double the Gemstore content, or more varied content. People making Legendaries doesn’t keep the lights on. There are other more engaging activities Anet should focus on to get people to play and buy stuff at the Gemstore.

Frankly, I think this is a sign Anet needs to review how they value their development time and efforts.

You are so clueless. The only reason why any mats had any value is because legendaries were gold sinks. Removing them will also remove the will to farm for many players. Not to mention that mats will lose their price so the only valuable farmign will be fotm – which gives direct gold.
Most HoT maps will get deserted pretty fast because one of the main reason to farm them is to get the materials for the legendary weapons – same goes map completion and any kind of matsfarming (most of them will lose on their price).
1 thing will lead to another and players will lose their drive to play the content.
Legendaries have definitelly more importance than you’re giving them.

Cash shop won’t fix this issue. While they might gain some temporary financial boost from it, as soon as they would get stigmated as a pay to win game, many players would give up and not return. P2W usually repels customers,not attracts them.

And for your last part ““You want access to these three new Legendary paths? OK you pay”. I would go for that.”

We already paid for that. That’s why this whole argument happened.

(edited by Spira.4578)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

This was a decision that makes sense. Legendary weapons, no matter how awesome, have a very low impact on the game’s activities.

Here it is again.

Thats your opening argument. People presented counter arguments against that. Now you are shifting the goal posts. You didnt “clarify” so much as admitting your argument was proven completely false. You might as well have said legendary weapons dont cure aids, therefore they were rescinded

I fail to see how I didn’t discuss the counter arguments. I saw one; that Legendaries are impact for the economy. My response was simple and true; They aren’t being removed, so they still have that same impact; I never claimed they didn’t.

My claim is very simple; Legendaries are low impact content in the game; in otherwords, they are lots of work, little benefit to the game; low ROI. For some reason you’re stuck on not being able to make the connection between what I mean between low impact and return on investment, even though I have provided you with multiple clarifications, including again, this one. That’s not backtracking, that’s not shifting goalposts; that’s ALWAYS been my position.

If that was always your position it REALLY should have been in your first argument thwn shouldn’kitten Otherwise why is the onus on others to understand what you’ve misled

I think it’s rather disingenuous to imply I’ve misled you since I’ve clarified what I’ve said many times. Unfortunately, I can’t force anyone to read more than they are willing so if you’ve gotten stuck on my first post and can’t move on, I’m not willing to accept blame for that.

My position hasn’t changed; Legendaries are too low impact and not worth the effort to develop for what it brings to the game. MOB’s decision was a good one. I hope his next good decision is to provide double the Gemstore content, or more varied content. People making Legendaries doesn’t keep the lights on. There are other more engaging activities Anet should focus on to get people to play and buy stuff at the Gemstore.

Frankly, I think this is a sign Anet needs to review how they value their development time and efforts. Seems to me they are giving it away too cheaply in too short a time. In hindsight, seem to be a pay to access real time scheme would be more appropriate because players wouldn’t feel ripped off.

“You want access to these three new Legendary paths? OK you pay”. I would go for that.

I don’t mean to be an kitten , but without legendaries, what’s there in post-story HOT besides the zerg grind?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

A choice was presented to us via this thread: live content or legendary weapons. But why not both? They sold HoT to us with the promise of both pieces of content. Deliver what you sold to us.

Along that path, Anet has limited resources. Mike says he can’t spare 6 to continue working on legendary weapons (content we paid for) but around 70 are working on content that no one paid for yet.
My main point is that they should prioritize on delivering a product they sold if their resources were spread thin, instead of working on a new one that no real life money has gone into. In regards to the next expansion, here are quotes from Mike:
“My goal now is sustainability: we shouldn’t ever have to sacrifice Live to ship an expansion.’’
Source with information on the 70 working on next expansion:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/
An example for those that are confused about my point: I buy 2 cakes from CakeCo. by pre-purchasing when their cake shop opens. I get 1 cake immediately and was told to wait on the 2nd cake. I wait. A week later, I was told that work on my 2nd cake was put on hold indefinitely but they have enough resources to cook a 3rd cake that I can buy. I don’t want to buy the 3rd cake. I want the 2 cakes that I spent money on already.

Point 3 deals exclusively with Legendary weapon promises. Below is a timeline of the legendary weapon promises and when they were broken. Take special note of the March 2015 Lindsey Murdock Blogpost.
• 2013- New Legendaries are promised. This was before expansions were ever going to be a thing in GW2. They never came.
• 2014- Nothing on the Legendary front.
• January2015- PAX South. HoT Announcement. Colin and Mike take the stage and announce that Legendaries are coming with HoT. These weren’t supposed to be behind a paywall. They were supposed to come out two years prior!
• March 2015- Linsey Murdock Blogpost- “From brainstorming to testing and bug fixing, building everything for a new legendary weapon reasonably takes about a month, not including the art for the weapon. That’s about a week per themed collection and a week for the economics, recipes and other random tasks.”
• August-September 2015- It’s announced that we are getting 3 new legendaries at launch with more to come on regular intervals.
• March 2016- Legendaries are halted indefinitely.

There are several things we are told in this timeline. Also, if Lindsey described it so clearly that making a legendary takes about a month to reach artists stage, these past 4 months, Anet should have maybe 3 or 4 new legendaries, not just the shortbow. I had heard the comment that designing the legendary journey might be holding them back, but Lindsey knew that journey-designing was part of these new legendaries. She STILL gave an estimate of a month before art + testing. Art + effects should be no problem, seeing as how we received multiple new outfits + over 130 gemstore skins. So either her article underestimated the time used for legendaries or Anet had pulled them a long time ago and is just releasing info now.
Regardless, legendary weapons were sold as part of the HoT package. People who paid for HoT already paid for these.
Here is link to Linsey Murdock Blog: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

Also, based on what was said to us before, some of the legendaries (or at least skins and effects) already exist. Colin’s seen some of the new legendaries (besides the 3 already released), they were there, and doubts of them not coming out were squashed. The 6-man-team was obviously doing something, are resources so thin that they had to halt indefinitely in the middle of completing their work?
Add this to the Lindsey quote of basically taking a month for a legendary, shouldn’t there be several legendaries being beta-tested at the moment? Why put it off indefinitely it really doesn’t add up. Did Colin just straight up lie?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/40n8gp/state_of_the_game_2016_post/cyvo6mx
“Colin: We’ve said it before – but i’ll reinforce we’re working on more legendary weapons: YES.”
and…
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://dulfy.net/2016/01/08/gw2-jan-8-guild-chat-livestream-notes/
Colin: “I have seen some of the new legendaries, they are amazing”
Keep in mind that the latest quote about the existence of these are in January 8th.

In regards to communication issues and from people wanting to blame Colin, please read this quote.
“Colin:
While as game director I didn’t set communication policy, I am really excited to see the things happening like this AMA. It’ll be a great advantage having Mo in this role as he can both set policy, and game direct simultaneously.”
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/d0o6cyn
Between this quote, knowing that Mike was president of Arenanet and boss of Colin, and reading multiple reviews from a website with glass ceilings or something :P, I think it’s fair to say that Mike was not new to this whole situation while it was going on. Not only was he not new to this situation, he had more control than Colin about the communication situation/state of HoT/shipping content timelines … I mean, he WAS the bigger boss.

Please note that I am not trying to attack anyone personally. I am using direct quotes from Anet staff such as Colin, Mike, and Lindsay.
I am trying to bring the facts together so that we can look at what’s happening holistically.
Information and knowledge is power

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

Legendaries are too low impact and not worth the effort to develop for what it brings to the game. MOB’s decision was a good one. I hope his next good decision is to provide double the Gemstore content, or more varied content. People making Legendaries doesn’t keep the lights on. There are other more engaging activities Anet should focus on to get people to play and buy stuff at the Gemstore.

Frankly, I think this is a sign Anet needs to review how they value their development time and efforts.

You are so clueless. The only reason why any mats had any value is because legendaries were gold sinks.

I can’t be that clueless; at least I understand that legendaries are NOT being removed and are still gold sinks.

I don’t mean to be an kitten , but without legendaries, what’s there in post-story HOT besides the zerg grind?

I don’t know but it doesn’t matter because that’s a hypothetical question … we aren’t without legendaries; Anet isn’t removing Legendaries from the game, they just aren’t making new ones.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Here it is again.

Its not disingenuous; I have taken account of your clarifications, and they are for moot. If your original argument was clearly specified I would have no need to make a rebuttal. See how that works? Why should I have to be the one to adjust my argument to the business aspects of this decision when it was never my intention to argue on something that I have no interest in arguing about in the first place?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

SAB will be the next victim.

Can’t be a victim since it’s already dead.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

So…i am stuck with Kudzu as my only legendary longbow option…i was hoping…..you know (sobbing) …. for a more….manly legendary….longbow….

There there. I’m sure the next longbow will be a nailgun.

Legendary weapons

Ramoth.9064

You are so clueless. The only reason why any mats had any value is because legendaries were gold sinks.

I can’t be that clueless; at least I understand that legendaries are NOT being removed and are still gold sinks.

I don’t know but it doesn’t matter because that’s a hypothetical question … we aren’t without legendaries; Anet isn’t removing Legendaries from the game, they just aren’t making new ones.

Because not everyone wants to make a staff, shortbow, axe and pistol. What if you bought HoT wanting another legendary greatsword? That’s one person that has now been taken out of the the HoT related economy. That is game impact.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

70 people need to be pulled from the xpac (which nobody wants) and tasked to fixing the kittening game that everyone has already purchased.

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

Because not everyone wants to make a staff, shortbow, axe and pistol. What if you bought HoT wanting another legendary greatsword? That’s one person that has now been taken out of the the HoT related economy. That is game impact.

That’s right, it is game impact. It’s simply not enough of one for Anet to consider funding it to develop it, that’s why it’s low.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

70 people need to be pulled from the xpac (which nobody wants) and tasked to fixing the kittening game that everyone has already purchased.

Well, to be fair I would like more elite specs. Don’t see why an expansion is needed for those though since game content can be sold via the gem store….

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

That’s right, it is game impact. It’s simply not enough of one for Anet to consider funding it to develop it, that’s why it’s low.

they have been promising new legendaries for 3 years. clearly they thought it was a big deal enough to work on for years. now theyre just dropping it. so no, its not a low impact thing. its endgame content, and its a goal that anyone can work towards, any time, forever. its not a temporary event like ls1 or mordrem invasion. its not a “do once and never touch again” like ls2. its content that anyone can pick up, anytime, and provide an absolutely massive questing and farming goal. it boosts the economy ingame and it enhances gem store outfit sales/fashion warsing. its a big kittening deal. literally 100% of the people i know personally who play gw2 havent logged in all weekend and express no interest in doing so. im bored and playing alone and have been since this was announced. its made a LOT of people very angry, and its basically the “straw that broke the camels back” of broken promises and abandoned projects.

Legendary weapons

Ramoth.9064

That’s right, it is game impact. It’s simply not enough for Anet to consider funding it to develop it, that’s why it’s low.

Lmao. Your assumptions on their game impact are baseless and doesn’t even have circumstantial supporting evidence. Take away the gold sinks in the economy and you break one of the core pillars of an MMO.

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

Well, to be fair I would like more elite specs. Don’t see why an expansion is needed for those though since game content can be sold via the gem store….

But anet hasnt announced that a second elite spec is “coming soon!” they havent said anything about it, much less promised it would release with X, and that 18 new elite specs are slated to come, 2 per class, only to release 1 for revenant and announce the project was on hold “indefinitely”, which is exactly what theyve done here.

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

That’s right, it is game impact. It’s simply not enough for Anet to consider funding it to develop it, that’s why it’s low.

Lmao. Your assumptions on their game impact are baseless and doesn’t even have circumstantial supporting evidence. Take away the gold sinks in the economy and you break one of the core pillars of an MMO.

Anet is not removing Legendaries from the game. Legendaries are not the only way to get gold from people. Those are not assumptions. Any risk you find with the economy because of this decision can be addressed in other ways … if it needs to be. These are not real concerns to be honest; we already know Anet is more than willing to make necessary changes to things in the economy to keep it where they are comfortable.

Furthermore, those are not my assumptions on game impact, they are in fact, based on Anet’s own decision to scrap Legendary development as a business decision.

they have been promising new legendaries for 3 years. clearly they thought it was a big deal enough to work on for years.

Maybe they did feel that way for 3 years, but that’s not really relevant now. No, what is clear is that they have come to acknowledge that of all the content they are developing NOW, Legendaries is the lowest priority for them.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

The only reason why any mats had any value is because legendaries were gold sinks. Removing them will also remove the will to farm for many players. Not to mention that mats will lose their price so the only valuable farmign will be fotm – which gives direct gold.
Most HoT maps will get deserted pretty fast because one of the main reason to farm them is to get the materials for the legendary weapons – same goes map completion and any kind of matsfarming (most of them will lose on their price).
1 thing will lead to another and players will lose their drive to play the content.
Legendaries have definitelly more importance than you’re giving them.

I can see this happening over time at a somewhat faster rate due to this change, but I don’t think it will be a sudden, drastic shift. There are still a lot of players making existing legendary weapons, or using many of the same materials to craft ascended armor and weapons. It will take time for that demand to settle, but there are some other considerations that could impact that now.

Demand for weapons and the materials to make them will always be in a decline unless there is a steady influx of players to maintain it. Every person that completes a legendary, means one less person in need of its materials. This will always be a part of the economy, but right now the influx rush from HoT and f2p is over, and we’re in an ongoing content drought.

Without new items coming in to bolster that demand for both new and old players, demand could start to drop off at a faster rate. But, even without new legendary weapons, the past 3 years have seen other uses for these materials added. This can either continue to decline, or new changes/additions can turn it around and increase demand.

There is also the added impact of players that have been building up shared/common materials in preparation for unreleased weapons, that now have an unneeded surplus of materials to dump back into the market. If nothing else is added to use up those materials, players will have little reason to not sell them.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

At this point I’m convinced you’d believe it if they shovelled kitten in your mouth and told you it was sugar.

What they decide as a business decision to represent the most amount of work done with the least amount of effort is not a direct, qualitative measure of GAME IMPACT.

I’m not sure what convinces you of that. It’s not a stretch of the imagination that they cancel development of specific content because it’s just not justified based on what players get for the amount of resources put to it. In fact, that’s probably the best reason to cancel content.

If this decision was oh-so-beneficial for the players why is it not met with thunderous applause?

Oh, that’s an easy one … because people think subjectively and selfishly. They don’t actually care what’s good for the game; they care what’s good for themselves.

Oh and just to be clear, I didn’t claim it was beneficial for players anywhere so I don’t agree with your statement there. I’m just providing a reason why players aren’t happy with the change like you asked.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

At this point I’m convinced you’d believe it if they shovelled kitten in your mouth and told you it was sugar.

What they decide as a business decision to represent the most amount of work done with the least amount of effort is not a direct, qualitative measure of GAME IMPACT.

I’m not sure what convinces you of that. It’s not a stretch of the imagination that they cancel development of specific content because it’s just not justified based on what players get for the amount of resources put to it. In fact, that’s probably the best reason to cancel content.

If this decision was oh-so-beneficial for the players why is it not met with thunderous applause?

Btw. Don’t try and weasel your way out of the fact this is not the original argument ^^.

Oh, that’s an easy one … because people think subjectively and selfishly. They don’t actually care what’s good for the game; they care what’s good for themselves.

multiple people have already stated how legendaries help the game. they help the economy and they help aesthetics. they are a massive gold and resource sink for ascended mats, t-2-6 cloth/wood/ore/leather, karma, dungeon token, and probably a thousand other misc items im forgetting like cores and omnomberries. they are a goal to work towards for the people who “have everything” and give new and old players quests to do. they are a huge factor in fashion-warsing, which is a significant gemstore seller, both for black lion skins to match the legendaries, and outfits and armors and now gliders. they are endgame content, and they are not a tiny thing, they are a big godkitten deal. even if you dont like legendaries and never plan to have one, there is no way you can claim with any truth that they are insignificant to the game as a whole.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I… still don’t get it.

I mean is all this really over the new legendary’s ending with a new shortbow? We did get new legendary’s.

Not many, but they delivered on the promise of new legendary weps and the process of crafting them VS RNG.

How many more were you expecting? And are they really at all that big a deal? Moreover it’s not like they said no new legendary weapons ever again.

I see so many people here who have been utterly critical of Anet in the past suddenly up in arms over legendary weapons?

Like it’s a wonder some of you are still even here at all but of all things you can be mad about, it’s… legendary weapons?

A peripheral part of the game aimed at only the hardcore audience? Really? That’s the torch you want to take up now? Hahaha… alright.

Stay salty, friends.

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

Btw. Don’t try and weasel your way out of the fact this is not the original argument ^^.

multiple people have already stated how legendaries help the game. they help the economy and they help aesthetics. they are a massive gold and resource sink for ascended mats, t-2-6 cloth/wood/ore/leather, karma, dungeon token, and probably a thousand other misc items im forgetting like cores and omnomberries. they are a goal to work towards for the people who “have everything” and give new and old players quests to do. they are a huge factor in fashion-warsing, which is a significant gemstore seller, both for black lion skins to match the legendaries, and outfits and armors and now gliders. they are endgame content, and they are not a tiny thing, they are a big godkitten deal. even if you dont like legendaries and never plan to have one, there is no way you can claim with any truth that they are insignificant to the game as a whole.

There’s no question they are good for the game. I’m not happy they are being taken out. I do understand Anet’s decision though and I accept it if it’s what they have to do to get things on track. That’s not really what the question here is though. That’s not what the context of that particular post was about.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Silverstone.4539

Silverstone.4539

Anet are destroying their own community.

To be fair this has been happening for a while. But this is like the final nail in the coffin for some (indefinitely suspend legendry weapons). After bad balanced patches, neglected game types, now also broken promises on top of broken promises. some of the people in game are not happy. There is a toxic atmosphere in many game types I’m finding now. Along with a helpless feeling. I want to help fix it all but can’t. it’s also not my place to.

I for one feel betrayed by the company, there by effecting my mood and how I conduct myself while playing their game. It is a slow and systemic failure by Anet that has lead to all of this. I don’t want to walk away, but one can only do so much, and take so much.

Been playing GW from 2005

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

I… still don’t get it.

I mean is all this really over the new legendary’s ending with a new shortbow? We did get new legendary’s.

Not many, but they delivered on the promise of new legendary weps and the process of crafting them VS RNG.

How many more were you expecting? And are they really at all that big a deal? Moreover it’s not like they said no new legendary weapons ever again.

I see so many people here who have been utterly critical of Anet in the past suddenly up in arms over legendary weapons?

Like it’s a wonder some of you are still even here at all but of all things you can be mad about, it’s… legendary weapons?

A peripheral part of the game aimed at only the hardcore audience? Really? That’s the torch you want to take up now? Hahaha… alright.

Stay salty, friends.

“How many more were you expecting?” We were expecting the 16 that were promised. thats not a number that anyone pulled out their kitten , thats the exact number that ANET told us.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

How many more were you expecting?

Just the 16 that they promised us.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I… still don’t get it.

Stay salty, friends.

No, this is not about being salty, this is about content. This expansion offered very little content and removed a decent amount. We are not even complaining about that, that ship has sailed and we have no choice but to take it. The game has 3, yes THREE, new legendaries, which is horribad but so be it, we accept it, that ship has sailed. Now you announce ONE MORE is coming, and thats that for who knows how long????

WvW has been all but shut down, it hasnt received love besides maps no one can find anyone on, which is more than a punishment than anything else.

They refuse to balance pvp and some classes are out right worthless.

PVE content is getting less and less updates with less content than usual. Legendaries were something people made during content droughts, now we dont even have that, and more droughts than ever.

Its not JUST the legendaries dude, its all the nonsense surrounding it. You dropped your white cape btw.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: WingedLass.7456

WingedLass.7456

Okay, so… There’s a huge list of things people would like to be different and/or developed… I haven’t played from the very beginning, but from what I understand the first few months was looking for direction on what to do with the game (and gem store items).

Since I have started playing, 2.5 years ago, I have greatly enjoyed Living World updates, as well as events like Halloween, Wintersday, Labyrinthine Cliffs, Queen’s Gauntlet and all that. Instead of those kinds of events, we have gotten mostly instance-based updates. The progress towards HoT saw an increase in those, and a decrease in bigger events.

Now there’s HoT, and it’s like they had so many brilliant ideas they all wanted to put in that it all became a tad bit messy, not quite fitting together and not seeming like a cohesive structure at all. I am not saying it’s not enjoyable – I have to confess to complaining about the fact that HoT maps are very difficult to achieve anything on by oneself, as well as the limitations of not having all mastery lines completed and some other things. On the other hand, I have so far really enjoyed gliding, and the new maps are beautiful, if impractical. You win some, you lose some.

The news on the Legendaries bothers me. Not because I’m an avid crafter of Legendaries (in fact, Nevermore is so far taking me 2 months already because I don’t want to rush it), but because it seems to add to the chaos of everything Anet is (and is not) working on.

I won’t argue with more Living World. Over the past months, about half of my friends list and the higher ranked members of my guild have drastically reduced their playtime, along with some heading off to other games like BDO, BNS or even EVE. Living World might encourage players to log on occasionally again. The increasing disappointment with Anet, however, will not.

Every single good update, be it Living World or otherwise, is countered by the apathy people are developing towards GW2 and Anet. “Nothing will happen anyways, it’s Anet…” I still find enough to like in GW2 to keep playing, but I’m not blind to the issues either. I have stopped playing WvW, I have stopped doing dungeons, and I have to confess I just really miss my friends.

I could add some other things I disagree with, but what I really just want to say is: take a deep breath. Things are going off the deep end. Instead of throwing out desperate (and poorly-developed) saving throws in hopes of people not leaving, or adding more Black Lion weapon skins or gem store outfits and gliders, stop that for a second and think about a direction you want to head and that you can sustain. The way things are going isn’t working, and approximately 90% of the current response is dissatisfied, if not more. We don’t need another expansion. We don’t need super-elaborate world boss reworks (although Shatty was awesome – for one week). We don’t need new outfits and gliders every other week. What we need is for you to take a deep breath and start thinking about what it is you want.

We’re gamers. We understand issues with coding, we understand issues with bugs and we understand that some things take time. We don’t like it, but we do understand. If we’re told where it’s going wrong, that is. It’s no doubt become clear that most people wonder why you can’t just take some people off developing the new expansion and have them help out on Living World/Legendaries (and if it’s the way it sounds, then I agree – current events are not good marketing for anything new you develop). The current way of communicating is not improving the situation – there’s news, but it’s vague enough that everything seems rather worse than perhaps it is.

At least, I really hope so.

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

Alright.

“Man, why isn’t Anet ever transparent with us?! If they would just tell us what they’re doing people won’t get so mad about things chang—lolnvmlegendariesrsrsbsnss BURN THE WITCHES”

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

Alright.

“Man, why isn’t Anet ever transparent with us?! If they would just tell us what they’re doing people won’t get so mad about things chang—lolnvmlegendariesrsrsbsnss BURN THE WITCHES”

you missed the part where this is just the 50th thing that anet has promised and then abandoned partway through. this entire game is a series of half built ideas and discarded projects. when is the last thing anet said they were going to do, and then DID, 100%?

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Alright.

Was there a point to this quote or are you just drunk?

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

Alright.

It’s over your head. You can get back to being mad.

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Alright.

Going with drunk then.

Legendary weapons

Felahr.9830

Alright.

no it isnt. its nonsensical and youre just trying to pick fights and be argumentative. this affects you too, you know. its just one more thing that anet said they were going to do, and didnt. whats next?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Alright.

Lol

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

Posted by: BLANE.8346

BLANE.8346

With the endless supply of weapon skins coming out of the gemstore is it really that difficult to add new legendaries?

Hopefully there’s a good trade off for this

Legendary weapons

Razor.9872

With the endless supply of weapon skins coming out of the gemstore is it really that difficult to add new legendaries?

It is quite possible they already have the skins ready or close to ready for many of the legendaries. The issue is more likely in relation to the precursor scavenger hunt.

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Snake Antelope.9583

Snake Antelope.9583

holy bats*it crazy batman…

5-6 people making this thread their personal battleground for opinions…

can’t see the forest for the trees

An expression used of someone who is too involved in the details of a problem to look at the situation as a whole.

everyone one of us in game.. in the forums.. all paid for this experience.

its just a game..

:)

to any waiting for a response from anet.. don’t hold your breath.

have any of you seen anet do something over the years that a portion of the community rails against.. and they come back and say anything?.. let alone.. whoops.. you guys are correct.. we’ll fix this now..

anet has shown this heavy handed stance since the great 600 nerf in gw1.. they do what they want and that’s the end of it.

:|

personally i’ll continue to play until i don’t.. not a moment sooner or later.

if i was mike.. i’d laugh and say.. as if the community knows what they want…

when opinions are the flavor of a dispute against a product that has failed to honor its statements.. opinions aren’t needed to state a factual reason for disagreement.. and only add to the confusion.. as well as the non willingness to read 36 of 39 pages of dribble by the company employees.

facts people.. facts that can be peer reviewed…

so says my opinion.. guess im no better than the rest..lol

(edited by Snake Antelope.9583)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I… still don’t get it.

Stay salty, friends.

Its not solely about the legendary weapons, although its understandable alot of people who bought the exp mainly for legendaries would be upset.

Most of us are more angry that anet advertised 16 legendaries as part of their expansion. We paid them money for this feature in our product. They then failed to deliver the feature marketed and advertised.

They did not give us the product we paid for. It could have been living story, guild halls, maps, anything that was cancelled and people would have had the same reaction as its not acceptable to take money people have given for a specific product and not provide it. In fact its borderline false advertising, only the ‘suspended’ part can protect them from consumer rights, but its still unethical as they are essentially using a loophole to avoid proper business conduct.

And yes while it hasnt actually been cancelled and just suspended, I dont see how they can say this fulfills their advertisement of ‘regular intervals’ of legendary releases. Not to mention how, given anets track record, its unsurprising that many plays see indefinitely suspended as cancelled. Sooo many projects that have been suspended have never been revisited. (SAB, dungeon rework, fractal leaderboards, wvw overhauls, clipping issues, home instance development)

I would like to mention that, had legendaries been a free content update like originally planned in 2013, then I would fully support this decision. But they werent.

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

I don’t think the difficulties with legendaries is making the skin. I think it’s the fact that Anet has now burdened the already complex creation process with activities that need to be tracked and checks against mastery completion.

I think the tradeoff is just to add more items that give effects because really, that’s the value added by owning one.

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

I… still don’t get it.

Stay salty, friends.

Its not solely about the legendary weapons, although its understandable alot of people who bought the exp mainly for legendaries would be upset.

Most of us are more angry that anet advertised 16 legendaries as part of their expansion. We paid them money for this feature in our product. They then failed to deliver the feature marketed and advertised.

They did not give us the product we paid for. It could have been living story, guild halls, maps, anything that was cancelled and people would have had the same reaction as its not acceptable to take money people have given for a specific product and not provide it. In fact its borderline false advertising, only the ‘suspended’ part can protect them from consumer rights, but its still unethical as they are essentially using a loophole to avoid proper business conduct.

And yes while it hasnt actually been cancelled and just suspended, I dont see how they can say this fulfills their advertisement of ‘regular intervals’ of legendary releases. Not to mention how, given anets track record, its unsurprising that many plays see indefinitely suspended as cancelled. Sooo many projects that have been suspended have never been revisited. (SAB, dungeon rework, fractal leaderboards, wvw overhauls, clipping issues, home instance development)

I would like to mention that, had legendaries been a free content update like originally planned in 2013, then I would fully support this decision. But they werent.

Alright, I get it. I hope you and others who feel the same can talk to support and work something out as far as a refund goes.

If nothing else if you can initiate a chargeback, you’ll get your money back and your account closed and you can put the whole thing behind you.

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

Alright.

no it isnt. its nonsensical and youre just trying to pick fights and be argumentative. this affects you too, you know. its just one more thing that anet said they were going to do, and didnt. whats next?

Alright. Name me these 50 things they’ve promised but did not deliver.

If even a quarter of those aren’t outright BS, most of it’ll be hyperbolic infused half truths constructed to make you seem less full of it.

But you know? You are right about the legendary weapons. Indeed, they broke their word on being able to offer 16 new legendary weapons.

You know, kind of the same way a parent may break their promise in getting their kid the number of clementines they requested.

“Sorry sweety, you asked for 16 but I could only get you 4, I’m thinking we need to invest in more foodstap—”
“THEN I WILL BURN DOWN OUR HOME AND CURSE YOUR EXISTENCE”

I find the community response to this a wee bit over the top though.

It’s not for nothing and they’ve explained they’re trying to get resources into more vital areas of the game VS legendary weps.

That’s not an unreasonable trade off for most people. But I mean if you’re hardcore into legendary weps, I’m sorry for your loss.

Another example of that would be legendary crafting. It didn’t come until a lot later from when it was first hinted at as a concept.

A lot of things in development change or ultimately flesh out differently.

That’s part of the development process. If this was some very major feature or content, I could totally understand the backlash.

Given it’s legendary weapons, I have a hard time following the strife.

They just aren’t that big a deal to me. But if I’m in the minority with that, excuse my plebe opinions and continue in your completely justified anger.

Legendary weapons

Razor.9872

Hakuna Matata

It’s a wonderful thing!

~It means no worries, for the rest of your days~

~It’s a problem free ~ philosophy~

Hakuna Matata!

<3

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

But you know? You are right about the legendary weapons. Indeed, they broke their word on being able to offer 16 new legendary weapons.

You know, kind of the same way a parent may break their promise in getting their kid the number of clementines they requested.

“Sorry sweety, you asked for 16 but I could only get you 4, I’m thinking we need to invest in more foodstap—”

It’s not a good analogy. A parent/child relationship is not even remotely similar to a business/consumer relationship.

Comparing apples and oranges here.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Alright.

Alright. Name me these 50 things they’ve promised but did not deliver.

If even a quarter of those aren’t outright BS, most of it’ll be hyperbolic infused half truths constructed to make you seem less full of it.

I find the community response to this a wee bit over the top though.

It’s not for nothing and they’ve explained they’re trying to get resources into more vital areas of the game VS legendary weps.

That’s not an unreasonable trade off for most people. But I mean if you’re hardcore into legendary weps, I’m sorry for your loss.

Another example of that would be legendary crafting. It didn’t come until a lot later from when it was first hinted at as a concept.

A lot of things in development change or ultimately flesh out differently.

That’s part of the development process. If this was some very major feature or content, I could totally understand the backlash.

Given it’s legendary weapons, I have a hard time following the strife.

They just aren’t that big a deal to me. But if I’m in the minority with that, excuse my plebe opinions and continue in your completely justified anger.

Changing what you say to a child about what you will buy is not the same as a customer buying a product and after paying for it, the company says it’s not going to deliver the product to you for an unknown amount of time.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

It’s not a good analogy. A parent/child relationship is not even remotely similar to a business/consumer relationship.

Yes, literally.

But if the best you have for me is to tell me my analogy sucks, we agree. My analogy sucks. I’m trying to convey a point, not be Shakespeare.

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Yes, literally.

But if the best you have for me is to tell me my analogy sucks, we agree. My analogy sucks. I’m trying to convey a point, not be Shakespeare.

The point is, your analogy does not, in fact, actually make any kind of a logical point. It’s not a matter of eloquence. It’s a matter of logic and the ability to actually communicate.

Legendary weapons

Obtena.7952

Yes, literally.

True, that analogy sucks. This one is better:

Anet: Hey guys, if we don’t realign our resources to deliver high value content to you, this whole thing you know as GW2 won’t exist in a few short years.

Ok, before you say it, that’s not an analogy but it is true.

Legendary weapons

CETheLucid.3964

Changing what you say to a child about what you will buy is not the same as a customer buying a product and after paying for it, the company says it’s not going to deliver the product to you for an unknown amount of time.

How is that any different thematically? Will buy VS will do someday?

Legendary weapons

Celtic Lady.3729

Yes, literally.

True, that analogy sucks. This one is better:

Anet: Hey guys, if we don’t realign our resources to deliver high value content to you, this whole thing you know as GW2 won’t exist in a few short years.

Ok, before you say it, that’s not an analogy but it is true.

So, you think that GW2 is flirting with bankruptcy, and that’s why they’ve decided not to deliver all their HoT content?