Legendary weapons

Legendary weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It’s not even legendaries. They got away with murder this xpac.

Here you have an xpac priced at $60, the same of the base game.

But only with 4 maps, instead of the 23 in the base game. 3 raids, but NO dungeons. 1 “soon” to be released fractal.

3 armorsets instead of the 20+ of the base game, same with weapons, only a fraction.

Like, HoT isn’t even 1/5 of the content and rewards the base GW2 was, which cost the same $60.

All in-game rewards from vanilla release changed models into RNG extremely rare drops and immense gold grinds, with most new armor/weaponsets now on gemstore.

Dungeon token system completely gone in terms of acquisition models.

They reneged on everything in their manifesto and turned into your average F2P game where everything is tied to a gold economy and cash grabs driven by huge gold and RNG gates to acquire items to encourage people to buy gems and convert to gold if they don’t want to spend half a year to acquire enough gold to get a legendary weapon.

Look at precursor hunts, it’s a farce. People wanted a scavenger hunt so they wouldn’t have to pay a fortune for precursors, and instead they did a scavenger hunt that ends up being more expensive than the vanilla precursors themselves on TP.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

But only with 4 maps, instead of the 23 in the base game. 3 raids, but NO dungeons. 1 “soon” to be released fractal.

3 armorsets instead of the 20+ of the base game, same with weapons, only a fraction.

Like, HoT isn’t even 1/5 of the content and rewards the base GW2 was, which cost the same $60.

All in-game rewards from vanilla release changed models into RNG extremely rare drops and immense gold grinds, with most new armor/weaponsets now on gemstore.

They reneged on everything in their manifesto and turned into your average F2P game where everything is tied to a gold economy and cash grabs driven by huge gold and RNG gates to acquire items to encourage people to buy gems and convert to gold if they don’t want to spend half a year to acquire enough gold to get a legendary weapon.

Look at precursor hunts, it’s a farce. People wanted a scavenger hunt so they wouldn’t have to pay a fortune for precursors, and instead they did a scavenger hunt that ends up being more expensive than the vanilla precursors themselves on TP.

And here I thought people wanted scavanger hunts for the easy way to work towards a specific precursor without having to pray to rng jesus

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

*$50

NSPride <3

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And here I thought people wanted scavanger hunts for the easy way to work towards a specific precursor without having to pray to rng jesus

Both, actually. We had the rng way, and we had the “paying through the nose” way. What people wanted was a way based not on rng, not on gold/mat sinks, but on effort.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I just want to say thank you for not adding more legendary weapons to the game I’m sure I’m in the minority but hey – our voices exist, too and you should hear them. Thank you.

Still very much confused by these posts. You’re literally thanking them for not adding content somebody else paid for simply because you don’t necessarily plan to play that content. Pure selfishness.

No they are actually thanking them for not wasting time on more grind content that they have most likely never used, never wanted and don’t care about..

Now Anet can focus on actual real in game content over some fancy overpriced graphics to show off in Lions Arch..

I do agree though what Anet did to you guys is wrong and just was a bait and switch on customers.

But to me if they never made anymore useless legendaries and those hideous grinds to go with it the game will be much better off for it in the long run.

Bullkitten, You’re literally thanking them for kittening over their customers. Where is that “real content” they were focusing on huh? It has been nearly 2 months since this post and 7 months since HoT launch, where is season 3? Where is raid wing 3? Where are new fractals? Where are the balance changes to dungeons to account for the massive power creep? Oh nowhere, anet just doesn’t get it, and it seems you never will too.

This game has and always will be bout horizontal cosmetic progression, legendaries were one of the original games selling points and they were the 1st expansion primary A second set was promised back in 2013, we didn’t get them. A second set was promised with a PAID expansion with HoT and we didn’t get them. So when they sell a 2nd expansion and it doesn’t sell, they have nobody to blame but themselves and people like you.

I agree with you to a point, the content never arrives and they remove other content they promised.. What can i say other than its Anet!

That said for casual people like me who never ever even bothered on a precursor let alone a legendary, having the others removed is not going to ruin my life.. If i could buy a Legendary in the Auction house for say three hundred gold i’d buy one.. maybe.. (they are kinda ugly as sin to me.. very few look good)

Honestly as things go Legendaries were more con than pro to me, my kitten is large enough to not need that treadmill or carrot, so them going is not an issue..

The content not coming, well what can i say or do about that, i’ve moved on for now because hot is too punishing and core tyria give zero rewards.. No reason to waste my gaming time in there (at this moment).

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Aragorn.5462

Aragorn.5462

Reviving this because I’m hoping with the end of the content drought next week that ANET will be able to provide us with an estimate on when they plan to continue working on the promised content that came with the expansion we bought approx 9 months ago. Thanks!

Legendary weapons

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

Reviving this because I’m hoping with the end of the content drought next week that ANET will be able to provide us with an estimate on when they plan to continue working on the promised content that came with the expansion we bought approx 9 months ago. Thanks!

Don’t hold your breath.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

Hey , we can at least hope . I still feel somewhat cheated on this subject , and at the very least can hope they will deliver promised content. The one that’s still on the HoT page.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The old legendary formula was fine. No need to change what already works, otherwise you get a disappointing mess like what happened here with the new legendaries.

Instead they should have focused on variety and quantity for every game mode.

How about 2-3 GvG maps (10v10) with a unique set of legendary precusors if you want your game to keep a strong population for the next 2 years?
How about legendary versions of the fractal weapons?

I think they forgot that people bought gems to finish legendaries.

There was so much potential with the old system where it didn’t take 2 years to implement 4 skins in the game.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

The old legendary formula was fine. No need to change what already works, otherwise you get a disappointing mess like what happened here with the new legendaries.

How about 2-3 GvG maps (10v10) with a unique set of legendary precusors?

There was so much potential with the old system where it didn’t take 2 years to implement 4 skins in the game.

2 Years?

Its almost been four.

The whole “building precursors” thing was something that was promised to us way back in 2012 and said to arrive in 2013.

I don’t understand how people can continue to defend how long this is taking.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How about 2-3 GvG maps (10v10) with a unique set of legendary precusors?

2 Years?

Its almost been four.

The whole “building precursors” thing was something that was promised to us way back in 2012 and said to arrive in 2013.

I don’t understand how people can continue to defend how long this is taking.

You may have misread the date on the Blog you linked. Also, ‘promises’ with disclaimers aren’t really promises.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Fuji.6284

Fuji.6284

Please stop hating on Anet. They have simply shifted their effort towards creating more gem store items in the Black Lion Trading Company for all of us to enjoy. Creating new legendary weapons would not serve that purpose. Thank you.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I don’t look for legendary journies to be worked on until after the next expansion releases. It will be a huge kittenstorm if they are locked behind the 2nd expansion.

That’s if they even go back to them…… I think they are hoping that they can drag it out long enough that people will stop asking for them. They already got most of the money they are going to get out of us for HoT.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I know I’m a bit late commenting here, but I’ll put my two cents in.

Crafting new legendaries was one of the new features that ANet was selling for the expansion. Sure, it can be argued that it wasn’t the most important new feature, or the most discussed, but it was still a selling point for some people and may have indeed been the grain of rice that tipped the scale in favor of buying it for some. After all, only those who bougth the expansion could craft the new legendaries, thanks to the system being locked behind masteries.

While I will personally not cry over the lack of new legendaries, I do still feel disappointed. Not just disappointed by a lack of shiny new toys though, but rather by the implications of unfulfilled plans and empty words. We were told that there would be new legendary weapons for each weapon set except for underwater weapons, and now that statement is being overturned and rendered false.

What will happen next? What statement or promise will be overturned next? How can you instill faith in your playerbase over promised content or ideas, when you do a 180 on the content you’ve said you’d add, but then chose not to? How do we know that we’ll get all the content we’re told about for the next expansion? Can we in faith make a sound purchasing decision based on what we’re told, when half the time what we are told never comes to fruition? Hell, even legendary armor is taking forever to add to the game. It was meant to be added with Raids, but 8 months + after launch, we still don’t have them. For all we know, those will be scrapped as well, and there’s certainly no reason to have faith that they’ll definitely make it to the game.

Perhaps next it will be living story. Or the quarterly updates. Or the addition of new armor or weapon sets. Who knows? But one thing’s for certain, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to put my faith in ANet with the decisions they are making lately, which is sad, because I truly believe in the potential of this game. Hopefully the new living story adds something worth being excited about, otherwise it might be time to move on.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Both, actually. We had the rng way, and we had the “paying through the nose” way. What people wanted was a way based not on rng, not on gold/mat sinks, but on effort.

And that is what we got.

Describe this effort, please, that does not require materials nor gold to achieve, but still has value. Crafting a precursor after gathering every material is not hard, it just takes time to gather the materials, time being the effort.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

And that is what we got.

Describe this effort, please, that does not require materials nor gold to achieve, but still has value. Crafting a precursor after gathering every material is not hard, it just takes time to gather the materials, time being the effort.

At this point I don’t really care whether they add with old formula or the new – as long as we actually get them. And next expansion is not an acceptable time. In regards to the new method of acquisition – I’m actually enjoying the Chuka & Champawat collection. Yes a lot of resources are required , but that’s the only way to make them valuable and it actually feels rewarding when you cross the finish line .

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And that is what we got.

Describe this effort, please, that does not require materials nor gold to achieve, but still has value.

So, skill, effort and time investment do not count at all?

Crafting a precursor after gathering every material is not hard, it just takes time to gather the materials, time being the effort.

Yes, precisely. There’s no effort required in t2 collections. Just mats and gold sink – the same as in buying from tp. Except, quite often, buying off tp is cheaper.

If you want an alternative to “paying through the nose”, it shouldn’t be “paying the same or more, and do a lot of other things on top of it”. Because that’s no alternative at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

And that is what we got.

Describe this effort, please, that does not require materials nor gold to achieve, but still has value.

Crafting a precursor after gathering every material is not hard, it just takes time to gather the materials, time being the effort.

Yes, precisely. There’s no effort required in t2 collections. Just mats and gold sink – the same as in buying from tp. Except, quite often, buying off tp is cheaper.

If you want an alternative to “paying through the nose”, it shouldn’t be “paying the same or more, and do a lot of other things on top of it”. Because that’s no alternative at all.

This is pretty spot on, at least half of the precursors cost more to craft than to just buy outright.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: MomentofWeakness.1246

MomentofWeakness.1246

Give us the legendaries!

Its Choo – 250,000 Kills in WvW and Counting…
WvW Commander – NA PST
Sexiest Level 80 Charr Guardian In The Game

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

And that is what we got.

The effort is going out and collecting the materials. Would you prefer having to collect something else that takes as much time, that is account bound?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Sarnax.8357

Sarnax.8357

I know we are beating this dead horse, but for me, making Legendaries was my end game. I have around a dozen and I LOVED the collection series. But I understand if they can no longer spend the time on building out the collections. I’m sure its a ton of work. With that said though, why not just release them like they did with the original batch? The one thing I would hate to see is them not released at all until AFTER the new expansion. Because they would STILL have the same concerns and issue then as they do now.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

After the new expansion there will be ANOTHER expansion that will be far more important to them than delivering on the promise they broke. Either they will put some resources on it or they won’t but in my mind a new expansion will consume all of their focus so the only chance is if they have some bandwidth after Living Story is under control.

Personally I will have a lot of problems getting excited about a new expansion if the Legendary drought continues once the upcoming phase of Living Story is complete.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I know we are beating this dead horse, but for me, making Legendaries was my end game.

If it’s any consultation, the pursuit of cosmetics is still present in the game. Granted, it’s been reduced to a cash shop purchase of what is essentially a virtual scratch-off lottery ticket, but new weapon skins will still be available for those of you who consider cosmetic upgrades an end game pursuit.

Legendary weapons

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Playing the lottery is not an end game pursuit. Buying scratch off tickets is just as bad as pouring your hard earned gold into the Mystic Toilet hoping for a precursor. The precursor collections where perfect little ‘end game’ stories we could work on with seemingly MUCH less (developer) work than Living Story.

Legendary weapons

Linken.6345

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hot-new-legendary-weapons/

From brainstorming to testing and bug fixing, building everything for a new legendary weapon reasonably takes about a month, not including the art for the weapon. That’s about a week per themed collection and a week for the economics, recipes and other random tasks

From your own blogpost MB since all but the art take 1 month, how can 12 more legendary weapons take more then max 2 years?
When your team crank out blacklion sets quickly and it surely aint the artists doing the other work during the month right?

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

there’s really no point in asking anet quetions in this thread. MO dropped the news, didn’t like the responses he got and after that not a single anet representative has written in the thread. Why? I don’t know since I don’t work for anet (thank the Eternal Alchemy for that) but their lack of interest has convinced me that it’s exactly that reason, lack of interest. They simply do not care.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

there’s really no point in asking anet quetions in this thread. MO dropped the news, didn’t like the responses he got and after that not a single anet representative has written in the thread. Why? I don’t know since I don’t work for anet (thank the Eternal Alchemy for that) but their lack of interest has convinced me that it’s exactly that reason, lack of interest. They simply do not care.

It’s just sad for them at this point. They lost players and they can never sell any legendaries again in another expansion because they lied about them with the first expansion.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

lol, looking back. This post is the turning point that made me quit the game.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Legendary weapons

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I’m pretty sure that they can’t say anything conclusive. So there’s no reason to respond.
If there was any change, or different decision regarding the subject they actually have something valuable to say and a reason to respond.

At least I don’t see any value in them coming here saying “Sorry! We’re just here to admit that there’s still no change!”every month or so.

Since the first legendary after the first 3 took 6 months or so I’m pretty sure it will take that long for them to come up with something else as well.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Lemuria.3195

Lemuria.3195

lol, looking back. This post is the turning point that made me quit the game.

All I can really say to that is that it didn’t take much apparently.

Legendary weapons

Linken.6345

I’m pretty sure that they can’t say anything conclusive. So there’s no reason to respond.
If there was any change, or different decision regarding the subject they actually have something valuable to say and a reason to respond.

At least I don’t see any value in them coming here saying “Sorry! We’re just here to admit that there’s still no change!”every month or so.

Since the first legendary after the first 3 took 6 months or so I’m pretty sure it will take that long for them to come up with something else as well.

I would rather have them saying something then silence tho even if its bad news.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

there’s really no point in asking anet quetions in this thread.

Sure, there’s a point. It’s just not very useful to presume that there’s going to be an answer anytime soon. If I cared that much about skins or what ANet said, then I’d be asking often (as I have about other topics).

MO dropped the news, didn’t like the responses he got

There’s no evidence of that. I didn’t expect any further response from him.

after that not a single anet representative has written in the thread.

Not sure why anyone would think that there’s something they can say at this point. Until they are actually ready to start adding the next legendary (which might never happen), what could they possibly say that would address any of our concerns about the situation?

Why? I don’t know since I don’t work for anet (thank the Eternal Alchemy for that)

Again, I can only speculate: there’s no value in them responding. Any words they use would be dissected by supporters and critics alike, to the point that they’d be meaningless.

but their lack of interest has convinced me that it’s exactly that reason, lack of interest. They simply do not care.

Again, there’s no evidence of that. A lot of us want them to respond; that’s not a good enough reason. Frankly, I think they do care about fixing, improving, and adding to the game and they decided that the best way to do it was to cancel legendaries for the foreseeable future, because that was in the way.

They knew it was a horrible decision and would be met with scorn and derision at best and they did it anyhow, because they thought it would be worse if they kept on the same course as before.

tl;dr there’s no reason for ANet to respond; their lack of response if consistent with their stated goal of doing better with the rest of the game first.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Legendary weapons

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I would rather have them saying something then silence tho even if its bad news.

It wouldn’t really be news if there’s nothing new to say really. I mean, sure, they could visit this topic each month and say something, but what is the point if there’s no change in plans? It would just be busy work and a reminder to them of something they couldn’t deliver on. The news on this is still the same as the last thing MO said, and that is that it’s indefinitely suspended. If that changes they will most likely bring that news with great joy, as it is also for the developers a black page in their book.

Edit: basically what IWN said above me.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I just don’t get why the collection side of things apparently takes so long. Like design a few icons, go to an existing NPC or take part in an existing event..like..there was nothing legendary about this journey at all. It was just pointless port and fetch. Then a hideous crafting sink like always…. When you see what some other devs do in similar time frames with much less manpower, makes you wonder wtf these 300 people do day in day out.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I just don’t get why the collection side of things apparently takes so long. Like design a few icons, go to an existing NPC or take part in an existing event..like..there was nothing legendary about this journey at all. It was just pointless port and fetch. Then a hideous crafting sink like always…. When you see what some other devs do in similar time frames with much less manpower, makes you wonder wtf these 300 people do day in day out.

I second that concern.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Legendary weapons

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the first few take a little time, but new ones shouldnt really take that long, or require highly specialized devs.

most likely, they probably didnt like the implementation, and wanted to re iterate on it.
there will probably be new legendaries, or something virtually the same, but rebranded in the next expansion, which would explain why they took the legendary devs for the expansion, since item/collection development is their strong suit.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: gilgil.4057

gilgil.4057

anythingggg ? every little info would be nice

Legendary weapons

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They are on hold untill some time in the future.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The last we heard was that the precursor collections took too long to design so they stopped making them and assigned those people to work on other things.

Under the circumstances I think it’s unlikely that’s going to change any time soon.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

anythingggg ? every little info would be nice

I wouldn’t expect “little info” about this topic. At this point, anything that ANet mentions, hints at, or otherwise obliquely references legendaries is going to generate a ton of attention. Therefore, they are going to wait until they have something substantive to tell us.

I am acting as if there never will be another legendary weapon in the game and that if there is another, I will hate the skin. That way, if there actually is a new one that I like in the future, it will be an awesome surprise.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Legendary weapons

Posted by: cormega.6238

cormega.6238

Im guessing it will be close to 5yr anniversary before we will get new ones. I want a longbow, but not the Kudzu. The new stormbow skin is sexy, so im using that until then.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The last we heard was that the precursor collections took too long to design so they stopped making them and assigned those people to work on other things.

Under the circumstances I think it’s unlikely that’s going to change any time soon.

The forums blame the Precursor Collection, but we don’t really know what happened.

They’ve been indefinitely suspended. As far as we’re concerned, they’re a canceled project. It’ll be a pleasant surprise if they’re picked up again.

Legendary weapons

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I personally will be upset if they start hyping another expansion before they start putting out new Legendary weapons and I bet a lot of others feel the same way.

Legendary weapons

Sartharina.3542

I personally will be upset if they start hyping another expansion before they start putting out new Legendary weapons and I bet a lot of others feel the same way.

You can be as upset as you want, but that’s the way it’s going to be.

Legendary weapons

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

You don’t know that. Losing customers over this is a very real possibility.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

They are on hold untill some time in the future.

Not on hold. Indefinitely suspended:

So, after shipping Chuka and Champawat, I’ve asked that we indefinitely suspend work on new legendary weapons. This team of developers will instead shift their efforts back to Living World style content, building new journeys and events for everyone to participate in.

The phrase is PR speak for “cancelled,” but they don’t want to say cancelled because that has a certain finality to it.

As far as we’re concerned, they’re a canceled project. It’ll be a pleasant surprise if they’re picked up again.

Exactly this.

This is definitely going to happen. It was a certainty the moment legendary weapons were announced to be indefinitely suspended.

What I don’t expect to happen is for new legendary weapons to be announced as part of the new expansion.

Legendary weapons

Sartharina.3542

They currently have ~100 employees working on a new expansion pack. They currently have 0 working on legendary weapons.

Do the math.

Legendary weapons

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

They currently have ~100 employees working on a new expansion pack. They currently have 0 working on legendary weapons.

Do the math.

Assignments can and do change, hence their suspension. Your ‘logic’ means nothing.

Legendary weapons

Sartharina.3542

Do the math.

Assignments can and do change, hence their suspension. Your ‘logic’ means nothing.

It took them 6 months to make a single Legendary Shortbow. The next expansion is intended to launch within 2 years. Do the math.

Legendary weapons

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

I too I remember being shown an official quote where new legendary development has been put off indefinitely at this stage. It’s a shame, but for the amount of time it seems to take, I can understand refocusing on other aspects of the game.