Lets talk about loss of exclusivity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Nothing should ever be exclusive.

I’m OK with a trinket type thing being exclusive, like a “Halloween 2014” balloon you can whip out whenever you want to prove you were there, but weapons, armor, and recipes should always return, especially in a game with a wardrobe.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Isn’t devaluation the risk you take investing in something? Why should anyone be entitled to see items grow in value?

thwip

Someone hit a bullseye.

Once you acquire items for future investment, you risk devaluation. Especially if they are seasonal and you hold it for the same season to roll around again.

If you’re complaining about this, then you just suffered a common loss associated with investment.

If you’re complaining because you lost points in “special snowflake” That’s a you problem.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Expecting content based on annual events to be exclusive is kind of silly.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Mini Candy-Corn Elemental has been at Laurel Merchants for some time now.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

To be honest I don’t mind all that much as long as it’s equally hard to obtain. Reducing the price is a really annoying move.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Isn’t devaluation the risk you take investing in something? Why should anyone be entitled to see items grow in value?

Thing is this is more of a bragging right investment. Since all of this stuff was bound to your account anyway, having it was an investment in collector’s value.
I take this update as a slap into the face to veterans who played since the beginning and as a sign that anet is too lazy to make new rewards despite earning 100m $ a year with the game.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I thought this was an excellent move. Halloween and festivals are for fun and exclusivity shouldn’t go hand in hand. I understand something like Liadri or maybe even a hard jumping puzzle and you having something to show off, but when its just a case of farming X number of materials or throwing gold at the TP…then no, thats not the same thing.

This is a massively improved and fairer system over last year’s debacle imo

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Thing is this is more of a bragging right investment. Since all of this stuff was bound to your account anyway, having it was an investment in collector’s value.
I take this update as a slap into the face to veterans who played since the beginning and as a sign that anet is too lazy to make new rewards despite earning 100m $ a year with the game.

revenue and profit are two very different things. Game development is a very expensive process.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Bragging rights have no monetary value. I agree there should be some new ideas, but just keep that in mind.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I still have my Emissary of the Mad King title, it’s exclusive. So is the Celebration Hat skin. There’s plenty of exclusive stuff left in the game. I’m honestly glad they’re bringing some stuff back.

The only thing’s that should remain exclusive imo are some of the titles, and the Celebration Hat. (The hat since it was a ‘you were there for the headstart’ thing.)

That said, the rare weapon skins/etc. should remain rare.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Seriously, people are still whining about exclusivity or prestige with all the actual problems this game has?

“Now everyone else has a chance to get it, this sucks! Forget them, I got mine! I have it, now I don’t want anyone else to get even a chance to get it too!”

That’s what everyone who argues for this silly exclusiveness for items from certain festivals sound/read like every time.

What about people who weren’t around for the last two Halloween events? What about people who couldn’t play during them due to other things going on?

I was around for Blood and Madness, but not Shadow of the Mad King, as I got the game after that time. It was already in the middle of the first Wintersday event when I started. So by the topic poster’s logic, I (and anyone else who joined after those events) should never have a chance at obtaining the items from then I we want to.

And even then, I would not be arguing for the new skins/items for Blood and Madness to not return, because that’s just selfish and stupid. Same with Wintersday. The holiday events should bring back all the previous rewards and bring in new ones as well, to show that these events have grown and improved with every iteration.

Really, the only valid reason one could have for whining about this is if they make their money off selling these “exclusive skins” on the Trading Post at jacked up prices. And even that’s still a selfish and greedy reason to do so.

Oh noes, how dare people have a chance at items from before so we can’t be completely special snowflakes or sell them later at ridiculous amounts of gold.

Just shameful.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

You have to consider though, that ‘exclusivity’ in a game is also a way of saying ‘I was there.’

It’s fine for you to want stuff, but you weren’t there. Does that mean that the people who were there don’t deserve any recognition of that fact? Do they not deserve to have something to show for being with the game longer then you?

You say that people who wants stuff to be exclusive is greedy, but your post is full of hypocrisy.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

There is no concept in gaming that makes my eyes roll more than exclusivity.

Y’know, I had that ball cap from when the game started. The Wardrobe change somehow stole that from me. It’d be kind of nice if I could have that back now.

I miss being all ballcap hipster with my jaunty GW2 hat. It was a symbol of my dedication to the game and would have stood as a beacon to my two years invested. I started using that in LFG as an indicator. “Ballcaps only” runs. I needed to make sure I was only with experienced players. Took an hour to fill, but I got quality.

…Okay, so that middle paragraph is actually bunk. Fake, lies, chicanery.
But I would like a second shot at that hat. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The very word “exclusive” is a bad word.

What kind of kid will keep other kids from paying with hi toys?

A grounded one that is not having desert for the next month. That kind of kid.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

You have to consider though, that ‘exclusivity’ in a game is also a way of saying ‘I was there.’

You have titles for that. That is the one thing Ill let slide as far as “exclusivity” goes—because they are just that. Titles. A bunch of words you can out over your head that others may see. Although, I don’t care about titles at all, so maybe I’m a bit biased in that regard.

It’s fine for you to want stuff, but you weren’t there. Does that mean that the people who were there don’t deserve any recognition of that fact? Do they not deserve to have something to show for being with the game longer then you?

Really, they can’t remember they were there for themselves? They just need something more besides titles or some extra/different in-game dialogue from NPCs to validate them being around for those particular events? I’ve been around for pretty much all the holiday events barring the first year’s (save Wintersday) and I don’t feel the need to brag about it or have something to show it off. While I do have items from those times, I wouldn’t feel the need to deny other players the chance at getting them.

You say that people who wants stuff to be exclusive is greedy, but your post is full of hypocrisy.

Feel free to elaborate how. This post of yours has done nothing to indicate any hypocrisy that I can see.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Y’know, I had that ball cap from when the game started. The Wardrobe change somehow stole that from me. It’d be kind of nice if I could have that back now.

Talk to the black lion armor guy with whoever was wearing it.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I take it as good stewardship of resources. IP takes time to create, and the more times you can bring it back into use, the greater your return on investment.

The more stuff that gets locked away permanently, the less return ArenaNet is getting from the development time, and the less stuff there is for players to experience/acquire in game. It’s taken quite a while for them to hear us saying “Don’t make content temporary”. We don’t need to undermine that with “but I need proof that I was there when”.

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

My primary reason to play gw2 is to show ppl that i AM one of the first people who played it. With all the knowledge built up towards where i am now.

I feel very very sad that everything ‘should’ be available to everyone. Right now the only skins i have is the skins ppl either cant/dont bother to buy because i do like my individualism.

Seeing even 1 person with the same type of armor really gets me out of the mood for playing this game, it makes me feel like im one of the millions of ppl who spend all all there time for crappy updates, rehashes of content and literally killing of exclusivity.

I remember when i picked up the GW2 celebration hat. I felt that they would make it a seasonal thing in gw2 just as gw1 to showcase you are a dedicated gamer.

If eventually every skin is for sale eventually i will quit hands down. I mean why would i even bother to continue playing if every person looks exacly the same. doing exacly the same 1 button spam at PvE.

I am a collector in that sense. And it feels they really want to rip all the gw1 nostalgia from me.

And if they do. Im out. id wrather have my gw1 memories then my gw2 because in my eyes it was the better game in almost every aspect so far. (rediculous RNG only on yearly birthday gifts) Good PvP, Good GvG, Exclusive stuff for collectors, Gods and the entire story behind them and how favour back then worked. SERIOUS story, not some half kitten baked teen novel with cheesy comments in between your so called ‘save the world project’ (directed to you scarlet) But actuall world destruction events where actually legendary places where hidden, hard content to finish besides the normal routes, a whole bunch more cool clothes, The mursaat and everything how it unfolded slowly you got to the root of things where the evildoers where. Now its just.. Goto land A kill 20k zombies kill dragon. Wooptiedoo like zombies arent outplayed or unoriginal.

I have only 1 more tip for anet. FIRE half of your devs and put the GW1 DEVS on GW2.

Even the holiday events where better in every single way.

Its a shame gw1 is dead and i cant be bothered to play with those graphix/controls anymore.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I take it as good stewardship of resources. IP takes time to create, and the more times you can bring it back into use, the greater your return on investment.

The more stuff that gets locked away permanently, the less return ArenaNet is getting from the development time, and the less stuff there is for players to experience/acquire in game. It’s taken quite a while for them to hear us saying “Don’t make content temporary”. We don’t need to undermine that with “but I need proof that I was there when”.

Stop saying we. There are people who enjoy temporary content.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Gibson.4036

Seeing even 1 person with the same type of armor really gets me out of the mood for playing this game,

Wow. That’s a pretty extreme standard to hold. If everyone felt that way, ArenaNet would have to develop hundreds of thousands of unique armors.

Gibson.4036

Stop saying we. There are people who enjoy temporary content.

No. There were many of us who asked them to stop making things temporary. Enough that ArenaNet acknowledged it as a request from players. Therefore, “we”.

Why is it so many people read “we” as “everyone”? If only one other person agreed with me, it’d still be “we”.

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

Seeing even 1 person with the same type of armor really gets me out of the mood for playing this game, it makes me feel like im one of the millions of ppl who spend all all there time for crappy updates, rehashes of content and literally killing of exclusivity.

Really?

There’s not millions of armour sets to go with millions of players. Chances are high that you’re going to see similar geared people.

Even the rarest things dropped in the thousands.

Posted by: Harbinger.5129

Harbinger.5129

I don’t get this thing of exclusivity I read at least once in every online game. It sounds something very selfish to me and also just a way to make some egos even bigger.

If I want something, say Glorious Brigandine, I know I have to grind for it. If out of sudden that same item begins to be available at vendors, more power to those who are interested in it just like me and won’t to have to SUFFER to get it. And it’s not because I grinded for it or payed for it, it means I’m the only rightful owner.

I hate when people say “You want a legendary? WORK for it”. I already have a real life job, in which I have to work (sometimes a lot). I don’t WORK in games. I PLAY games. And if you need a virtual item to inflate your ego, instead of games, you might need a therapy.

(edited by Harbinger.5129)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Actually, the thing being overshadowed by the Gem Conversion farce is also Gem related. The removal of the Gem conversion graph and a mysterious jump of ~22% in the cost of converting gold to gem, which is significantly higher than any jump in the same timeframe in the games history.

And they removed the gold/gem conversion call from the API.

You don’t need a tinfoil hat to smell this fish.

Let’s say there are 10,000 gems in the pool before the patch hit, keeping the price at 10g a gem.

You get that little notification of ‘new build in 15 min’! What is going to happen with the people who wait till that notice to buy gems? They are going to buy. They are going to buy as much as they can. What happens to that pull of 10k? It dwindles fast. That 10g rises because of scarcity. For arguments sake, when it hits that there are 5000 left, it doubles to 20g a gem (I’m using fake numbers, I don’t know the actually algorithm).

You saw the same thing happen with candy corn once the patch it, it got to over a silver in price. Is that another conspiracy as well? Or was it the market being the market with supply and demand?

And since you have looked at the graphs before, you can usually always see a definite spike when a patch comes out, showing gem costs going up.

Note I don’t agree with their system either and have already made a suggestion on Gail’s forum post. I believe this just goes to show again that their current info policy is horrible and just angers players. Don’t blame them for not being able to tell us sooner so we can give pre-feedback before post, blame the higher ups who believe that releasing that ‘top secret’ project early because ‘we want to only release stuff ’when its done’.

If people hate it and give feedback en masse explaining why its bad, then clearly its ‘not done’.

As for exclusive stuff. Eh….it is still inclusive. You have one chance a year to get the item. To be fair with the wardrobe addition, bringing back old stuff that people might have destroyed eventually is fair for me at least. This stuff may not appear next year. And the raffle will award only so few that they will still be exclusive.

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

As someone with a lot of the exclusive stuff, I wouldn’t care nor mind if others had a fair(er) shot at having it. I’d probably feel better about the state the game, even.

Hope that helps, OP~

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

So you bought a lot of candy corn, what’s exclusive about that? Seriously. John Smith said they messed up last year with the drops and amount required for rewards and now it’s being corrected. Deal with it.

If these items had taken actual skill to get, you might have an argument. But they didn’t so sadly you don’t.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

When the HoM stuff gets sold in the cash shop, then we’ll talk lol. Emphasis on when.

Those were only achievable by dedication, better than what we have now where some rich person can buy keys or gold to unlock prestige pony bows that irk many players.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

On the one hand… I get it. People want to stand out and be counted. Part of that’s just human psychology and it’s not going anywhere, so the allure of exclusive items isn’t going anywhere either.

On the other hand, making new stuff for every yearly holiday update is development time that can be spent on other things; new game systems, new content, maybe even expansions (cough cough cough).

Development is always a game of tradeoffs. You do X and that leaves you less resources to do Y. I can’t really defend Anet specifically because for all I know, their development process is a royal mess and isn’t getting much done.

But the flip side is also possible; they may be getting more work done on cool new stuff at the expense of a couple seasonal shinies. I don’t expect that to appease anyone, but it’s something to keep in perspective with any MMO.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

Seeing even 1 person with the same type of armor really gets me out of the mood for playing this game,

Wow. That’s a pretty extreme standard to hold. If everyone felt that way, ArenaNet would have to develop hundreds of thousands of unique armors.

I would assume he means his entire outfit not if someone else happens to have the same shoulders,I’d change too, in fact I refused to wear my obsidian armor for so long in GW1 because so many people were running around in it.

I don’t get this thing of exclusivity I read at least once in every online game. It sounds something very selfish to me and also just a way to make some egos even bigger.

If I want something, say Glorious Brigandine, I know I have to grind for it. If out of sudden that same item begins to be available at vendors, more power to those who are interested in it just like me and won’t to have to SUFFER to get it. And it’s not because I grinded for it or payed for it, it means I’m the only rightful owner.

I hate when people say “You want a legendary? WORK for it”. I already have a real life job, in which I have to work (sometimes a lot). I don’t WORK in games. I PLAY games. And if you need a virtual item to inflate your ego, instead of games, you might need a therapy.

You’ve just said my absolute pet peeve. In the same way you wouldn’t walk up to someone in any other hobby and go to them oh you WORK at your knitting/sports car/miniatures/cards I would expect you not to try and pull that excuse here either (fairly sure someone would punch you for it). Work is a term used to denote the investment of effort, something you’ll end up doing in anything you like. In the same way I’d practice before a competition the hours of work invested into getting an item are part of the FUN of the payoff, without it it would be pretty boring (Anyone whos played on a private server for an MMO can attest to that).

If you don’t want to invest the effort for a legendary that’s fine but don’t attempt to undermine the people who did by demanding your own easy way to get it. You’re attempting to demean the other side to invalidate their point (you need therapy comment).

Specifically on the example you used glorious armor, that item is a statement that you play a lot of pvp, placing it on a vendor just renders it a meaningless item another one of about 2500 skins that are worthless and mean nothing. Treat each item like a trophy proclaiming your abilities and story from “I was there” to “I beat the hardest fight in the game” to “I can jump really well”

Perhaps it would help explain my point of view more if I explained that I care more about how someone came to possess an item rather than what skin the item has (as long as its still unique), I want to know the story that item tells and I judge you and your character based on what I can see. That said I would expect the best/most complex skins to be behind harder to get methods otherwise why bother I don’t play MMO’s as some dressup game.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Conski Deshan.2057

So you bought a lot of candy corn, what’s exclusive about that? Seriously. John Smith said they messed up last year with the drops and amount required for rewards and now it’s being corrected. Deal with it.

If these items had taken actual skill to get, you might have an argument. But they didn’t so sadly you don’t.

Timed exclusives are actually one of the more common types of exclusives used in MMO’s otherwise more and more people eventually obtain it.

It’s on principal that it required 10x the amount of resources/input last year and is now being devalued which would not be fair on players who got it. For the record I didn’t have either of the minis before yesterday but I still think it was unfair on those who did.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Perhaps it would help explain my point of view more if I explained that I care more about how someone came to possess an item rather than what skin the item has (as long as its still unique), I want to know the story that item tells and I judge you and your character based on what I can see. That said I would expect the best/most complex skins to be behind harder to get methods otherwise why bother I don’t play MMO’s as some dressup game.

I get this and I hold the same point of view as you. But you’re complaining about the wrong items imo. I find nothing exclusive about an item only available for one festival (and I do believe in GW1, previous years’ rewards were available during festivals.) The Mask of Night literally meant nothing imo. No one is impressed that you joined the game a year earlier than them. I find nothing exclusive about buying thousands of candy corn. Really, there’s a lack of actual good exclusive stuff in GW2… fractal skins (sorta.. ruined by horrid rng), Liadri title/mini and HoM skins come to mind. If they started giving those things away, I’d be right there complaining with you. But not these halloween items, sorry, especially when they were very poorly handled last year.

Conski Deshan.2057

I get this and I hold the same point of view as you. But you’re complaining about the wrong items imo. I find nothing exclusive about an item only available for one festival (and I do believe in GW1, previous years’ rewards were available during festivals.) The Mask of Night literally meant nothing imo. No one is impressed that you joined the game a year earlier than them. I find nothing exclusive about buying thousands of candy corn. Really, there’s a lack of actual good exclusive stuff in GW2… fractal skins (sorta.. ruined by horrid rng), Liadri title/mini and HoM skins come to mind. If they started giving those things away, I’d be right there complaining with you. But not these halloween items, sorry, especially when they were very poorly handled last year.

To be honest in any other game I wouldn’t even be bothering (heck this is the only MMO forum I’ve ever posted on). You’re right on both accounts , both that the festival exclusive were released 8 years later ( I consider that to be after the game “ended”) and that Gw2 has very few quality exclusives.
It’s why I’m trying to protect the few that do exist, believe me the instant they introduce one of the new raid dungeons/ultra hard challenges/whatever that has skins only >1%/.1% of the playerbase can get I won’t care about these as much as they’ll make much better trophies.

I am kinda surprised by how negative the reaction here was though, From looking at other MMO forums (warframe particularly comes to mind) anyone who even thinks of asking for something to be less exclusive no matter the acquisition methods gets ripped apart (considering most of their exclusives are just time limited grinds).

Posted by: FONGORE.7410

FONGORE.7410

Evidently posting a link to Dr Seuss The Sneetches is infraction worthy & a “inflammatory”. How ever I still feel the video is still on topic & is no way meant to “derail a thread”.

Trying to rap my head around on how it is not on topic when the whole video is about exclusivity of stars on their bellies. And Sylvester McMonkey McBean continue to sells the sneetches the stars on their bellies over & over again.

Sorry to the moderator who’s opinion felt that it was not relevant to the topic. And choose to delete my post & give me a infraction for posting a link to a classic children story.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Just a quick post because I want it on record that I personally don’t care about exclusivity AT ALL. Happy to share.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Same. I’m more than happy for newer players or players who missed out to have the chance to get the same stuff we did.

I’ve never understood or supported exclusivity; it smacks of a “I want something that you can’t have, just so I can feel superior to you!” stance. To me, that’s a selfish and poisonous attitude which should not be tolerated or encouraged.