Lets talk about the new Gem conversion [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doodakoff.5246

Doodakoff.5246

This thread is another example of us becoming more and more disillusioned with Anet and their choices. I dread to think what else will be implemented come next patch day and I wonder what the tipping point will be?

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

This thread is another example of us becoming more and more disillusioned with Anet and their choices. I dread to think what else will be implemented come next patch day and I wonder what the tipping point will be?

The Real Point of No Return! I’m quite stunned at the total lack of feedback on their end considering the backlash here, on Reddit, Ten Ton Hammer. What’s it going to take to get a response on the plans to fix yet another unwanted change? While I’m at it, where is management during all of this, are they oblivious or that uncaring that they can’t take two minutes to come and give us some feedback?

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

Posted by: Peachy Keene.9215

Peachy Keene.9215

There have been pretty much non-stop posts in this thread all day and yet the last “feedback” we got was 19 hours ago. Where are the devs?

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

So far there’s an overwhelming voice that says this update is bull. The only dev “input” we’ve heard with in these 30 pages is that they are open to suggestions, which is basically a passive-aggressive way of saying “yea, nah. We’re not going to change it back but, look! We’re open to suggestions : ))))))))))”

So as they say: “The only winning move is not to play.”
No, literally, let’s just boycott gw2 till they realize they need to clean up their act.

Already called my guild and told them that I wouldn’t be on and why. They agree with me so we will move on to something else until Anet decides to knock off the foolishness.

Yup, i think a good long boycotting is called for here. They know how to fix it. But seriously, that “suggestions” line was PRICELESS! Someone needs to call EA and tell them they been trumped. ROFL

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Jacobbs.9468

Jacobbs.9468

There have been pretty much non-stop posts in this thread all day and yet the last “feedback” we got was 19 hours ago. Where are the devs?

Having lunch, duh!

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Probably reading this and laughing at us.

Doodakoff.5246

While wiping away their tears of laughter with our crisp dollar bills.

Posted by: Monstrance.7403

Monstrance.7403

This is a rather obvious attempt by Anet to shoehorn us into buying gems. By eliminating custom amounts they expect people to spend money on gems rather than use gold.

Why, you ask? Because the gem payment system is utter BS that forces you to give them far more money than necessary

Want devil horns? They’re only 200 gems—but wait. You have to give us 10 dollars so you can have 600 gems left over.

What’s that? You don’t want anything for 600 gems? Well, give us another $10 and you can get that 800 gem item you want. You now have 600 extra that you won’t get rid of until you give us another $10. Repeat.

It’s a horrible, pathetic system that exploits us as customers. You know what, though? This is exactly what I expect now.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Excuse for new player (you take months old players for new player it seems but whatever) is just a lie. If a player couldn’t make the old gem store work, it means he couldn’t even power on his computer, and less use it, or use a mouse or a keyboard. He couldn’t even eat or drink alone.

There are parents to do that.

Proposition: Tickets are coming in by children who got GW2 as a gift and have a problem with basic math.

[/harshmode]

You mean like they cannot multiply? For example they have 100 times 9 and it equals 733?

Oh I know you’re not serious with this but . . . I am sorry to say this is sort of the case and I’ve seen it just asking them what five times twenty-five is. They reach for their cellphones to calculate it.

Ask them what five quarters is though, they’ll immediately tell me it’s a buck twenty-five.

Yes. People are that stupid, please do not doubt two things:

- The resourcefulness and conviction of people who want something bad enough.
- Human stupidity.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Oversleeping maybe? They live in Seattle, GMT-8.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

(edited by VergilDeZaniah.3295)

Posted by: Peachy Keene.9215

Peachy Keene.9215

Having lunch, duh!

I guess it’s taking a little longer than usual because they only wanted a couple of sandwiches but had to buy 400 of them.

Doodakoff.5246

Having lunch, duh!

I guess it’s taking a little longer than usual because they only wanted a couple of sandwiches but had to buy 400 of them.

I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Sailsd.9245

Sailsd.9245

Wait a second. What does the VIP cost again in China? Hehehehe, 5$ a month? Guess what would cost 5$ when buying gems with cash (*cough*its 400gems*cough*).

Posted by: Lilianne.5839

Lilianne.5839

They are ignorring the post because they are already bussy destroying the next thing for players, thats what they do in their meetings,, how to destroy fun for our players!

really anet get your heads out your azzes and listn to your players and make it RIGHT!!!

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

If I want 100 gems I want 100 gems.

PLS remove this CRAP!

Edit: I want 4 things added:
1: I want the precise conversion rate added
2: I want to be able to choose the exact amount both in gems and gold.
3: I want the graph back
4: I want A-Net to treat me like an adult, being 40 yrs old I guess I’m entitled to it

and for all I care you keep the new screen for the ‘not so smart’, but I -HATE- it.

I concur. This is NOT what we asked for. Important part of the currency exchange is speculation: How will the value of gems go up or down. Therefor we need that graph! Furthermore lots of situations require to just get some extra gems, not 400 – 800 – and so on. So get us back the old input where we chose ourselves the amounts to be exchanged!

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Agreed. Played a couple of times today and felt kinda sickening to be honest. Not at all fun. Was thinking about a couple of Gem Store items but I think I’ll just walk away from ’em. Anet has their NCSoft meeting around 5pm pdt. They will say something after that. Not sure I care at this point.

The one move you always have in a tug of war is to drop the rope.

It’s settled: Rope dropped

Shame to see it all end this way though. I remember when it was a Game…

Posted by: Zoxea.9564

Zoxea.9564

Everything works as expected. Move along please.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The Real Point of No Return! I’m quite stunned at the total lack of feedback on their end considering the backlash here, on Reddit, Ten Ton Hammer. What’s it going to take to get a response on the plans to fix yet another unwanted change? While I’m at it, where is management during all of this, are they oblivious or that uncaring that they can’t take two minutes to come and give us some feedback?

Something tells me the lack of any reassurance on this matter means that a whole bunch of team members were just “following orders,” as companies sometimes go, and nobody is really sure what to say. It may even be that they can’t be reassuring because they’re getting pressured from on high.

Either way, this would have been the perfect opportunity for them to show that their communication has improved. Every hour that ticks by with them giving us little more than (love ya Gaile!) barely-knows-what’s-going-on-with-this-change PR responses is an hour of people feeling like Anet just can’t get their communication together.

That said, I hope the effects aren’t as bad for the company as the mood would make it seem. Cause honestly, that’s a lot of jobs in limbo.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

They are ignorring the post because they are already bussy destroying the next thing for players, thats what they do in their meetings,, how to destroy fun for our players!

really anet get your heads out your azzes and listn to your players and make it RIGHT!!!

The worst part is that the devs that CAN do stuff about this are the ones that don’t play the game. The ones that play the game usually don’t have any actual authority on these changes and are stuck taking the flak from other players while these guys hide behind the forums. I feel kind of bad for the devs that actually enjoy this game and play it.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Having lunch, duh!

^ —- My day has been made.

Ps. My heart goes out to the devs that knew this was a bad idea but could do nothing to stop it.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Still waiting on an answer as to how this is supposed to help new players when the lowest amount of gems costs more gold than a new player would reasonably have. Not expecting one, TBH, but still waiting…

Yes, especially when they must save 42g and 300 skill point to buy TRAITS.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

I personally don’t mind, even if I know that greed is behind the decision.

My problem is all the people who have an uneven number of gems and have no way to use them. With the current “at least 400 gems or nothing” system, they’ll ALWAYS have gems to spare.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

From the perspective of one that quit the game a few months ago and is just checking in now to see if the state of the game has changed, I find myself unsurprised by this. The remaining members of my most prominent guild hoped I would return eventually but I truly don’t believe it will happen. ArenaNet is not the company it once was, nor is GW2 as a result, and I think more people are coming to that realization now too.

Understand that the guild that I left behind was far more faithful than I was in this game, after all they did hold out longer than I could, but I have already received messages saying that more of them are quiting now because of this. Even the most loyal can only take so much, right?

My suggestion would be to Revert ASAP. But you don’t want my suggestion, I’m sure. Not just because I stopped playing months ago… but because I don’t support your decision in this. Am I right?

Good luck to those of you still playing GW2.
Good luck to ArenaNet… I will still remember you as the company you once were.

Take care.
- Az

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: LordDragonHeart.9352

LordDragonHeart.9352

So far there’s an overwhelming voice that says this update is bull. The only dev “input” we’ve heard with in these 30 pages is that they are open to suggestions, which is basically a passive-aggressive way of saying “yea, nah. We’re not going to change it back but, look! We’re open to suggestions : ))))))))))”

No, literally, let’s just boycott gw2 till they realize they need to clean up their act.

Already called my guild and told them that I wouldn’t be on and why. They agree with me so we will move on to something else until Anet decides to knock off the foolishness.

Yup, i think a good long boycotting is called for here. They know how to fix it. But seriously, that “suggestions” line was PRICELESS! Someone needs to call EA and tell them they been trumped. ROFL

We should spread the word to the people online. Let them know we can actively do something to force Anet’s hand. Anyone?

Posted by: Jacobbs.9468

Jacobbs.9468

Having lunch, duh!

And they got their change back in condiment packages.

Posted by: Claenden Dannagh.8346

Claenden Dannagh.8346

Signed. x100.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Made myself a habit of purchasing gems for 10 gold each day. So that one day, when I want smth, I don’t think “that’s so expensive!”. Now I can’t do that.
Today I purchased gems for the thing I needed, got a leftover of 200, and really not planning to buy gems soon.

In, taking into consideration 1 day – ANet made a right decision: I purchased 400 gems, not 200 I needed. 200 Gems profit!

But in how many days from now that profit will turn to loss, adding every day?

Brilliant.

Here’s the thing though. And I think it’s the heart of the issue.

Arena.net DIDN’T get 200 gems profit from you. They got effectively NOTHING from you. And that’s THEIR problem here, see. Gold to gem conversions have been going up steadily without fail because more people have been converting to gems rather than buying them with IRL cash.

And don’t think that the executives don’t see that. This entire change is all about making the gold to gem conversion process as difficult and irritating as possible. Hell, if it wouldn’t amount to outright revolt, I bet you the gold to gem process would have been gone yesterday.

Because, ya know, as irritating as it is now, you STILL have more options than someone who buys gems with cold, hard cash. And Arena.net wants you doing THAT, because THAT is money.

Which is also why you probably aren’t going to see any significant change on this score. They really couldn’t care less that you keep your gold. They wrote you off as a drain to their cash model long ago. They’re now targeting the F2P crowd that is well used to this model, and have come to accept it. Because THAT crowd spends money. They spend a LOT of money. And probably far more than everyone complaining in this thread put together.

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

I think change of the GEM conversion system was very unfortunate. It just added one more obstacle to prevent players to use the system.

But what extremely facinates me is the MAGIC they did with prices. It skyrocketted from 14.5 G / 100gems to something above 20G.

graph from tentonhammer.com
[img]https://cdn.tentonhammer.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/GemSpike.png?itok=ewbTE1uZ[/img]

Pretty sure that’s the spike that comes with every major patch that offers new items, as well as the changes to the conversion options, forcing people to pay a minimum of 70-80 gold for gems, or another $10.

Posted by: daxcip.2609

daxcip.2609

They should just change it back and add a big popup like this:

“You are about to exchange X Gold for Y Gems.”
“Please Type in this confirmation-code : 5234 ____”

This should be enough to prevent too many support tickets regarding accidental inputs.

The current System is just a step backwards in flexibility.

Vlad Morbius.1759

Something tells me the lack of any reassurance on this matter means that a whole bunch of team members were just “following orders,” as companies sometimes go, and nobody is really sure what to say. It may even be that they can’t be reassuring because they’re getting pressured from on high.

Either way, this would have been the perfect opportunity for them to show that their communication has improved. Every hour that ticks by with them giving us little more than (love ya Gaile!) barely-knows-what’s-going-on-with-this-change PR responses is an hour of people feeling like Anet just can’t get their communication together.

That said, I hope the effects aren’t as bad for the company as the mood would make it seem. Cause honestly, that’s a lot of jobs in limbo.

I know I’ve posted many times that I think the whole situation is out of their hands but still there has to be someone there with their head screwed tightly to their shoulders and know that silence is not helping. I do feel bad for the existing staff but more so for all those before them and those still there that have thrown their heart and soul into building the game only to watch what is happening today. That has got to be disheartening and quite depressing to say the least.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Do people really think that abusing the company and more specifically their employees will help?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Having lunch, duh!

This is great. One of my all time favorite posts.

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

They wouldn’t touch this toxic thread with a 10-foot pole.

I’ll happily stick my 10-foot pole into it, though.

Posted by: Cekay.2614

Cekay.2614

well, yeah must have 15 letters

Attachments:

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I know I’ve posted many times that I think the whole situation is out of their hands but still there has to be someone there with their head screwed tightly to their shoulders and know that silence is not helping. I do feel bad for the existing staff but more so for all those before them and those still there that have thrown their heart and soul into building the game only to watch what is happening today. That has got to be disheartening and quite depressing to say the least.

Indeed. I would certainly not want to be a dev on this day.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Do people really think that abusing the company and more specifically their employees will help?

Haven’t you noticed, it’s the only way for them to acknowledge the playerbase’s concerns.
Well, apparently support tickets by new players saying the currency converter is confusing seems to grab their attention too.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Arena.net DIDN’T get 200 gems profit from you. They got effectively NOTHING from you.

This entire change is all about making the gold to gem conversion process as difficult and irritating as possible. Hell, if it wouldn’t amount to outright revolt, I bet you the gold to gem process would have been gone yesterday.

Because, ya know, as irritating as it is now, you STILL have more options than someone who buys gems with cold, hard cash. And Arena.net wants you doing THAT, because THAT is money.

They’re now targeting the F2P crowd that is well used to this model, and have come to accept it. Because THAT crowd spends money. They spend a LOT of money. And probably far more than everyone complaining in this thread put together.

Sad but true.

As I said before, the only thing that will be lost from a player who decides “hey, I dont want to spend any money on this and get cash shop items for free” and quits because he cant do that is the memory required to render his avatar in the world.

The players in game are just going to fork over 400 gems if they can, and get on with their lives.

It’s really, really bad for players, like myself, who may have leftover gems and want to supplement that with gold conversions, but seeing as how many of the players apparently cannot do math, ignoring the uneven gem balance would probably be less strain on precious brain cells.

“But I’ll tell my friends not to play!!” wont even fly either, because I’m sure those used to the F2P, cash shop model have friends too.

Of course, this is all just assuming you need the gem store at all.

could just pretend the whole thing doesnt exist and leave it as a perk to people who actively and consistently support the game.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Made myself a habit of purchasing gems for 10 gold each day. So that one day, when I want smth, I don’t think “that’s so expensive!”. Now I can’t do that.
Today I purchased gems for the thing I needed, got a leftover of 200, and really not planning to buy gems soon.

In, taking into consideration 1 day – ANet made a right decision: I purchased 400 gems, not 200 I needed. 200 Gems profit!

But in how many days from now that profit will turn to loss, adding every day?

Brilliant.

Here’s the thing though. And I think it’s the heart of the issue.

Arena.net DIDN’T get 200 gems profit from you. They got effectively NOTHING from you. And that’s THEIR problem here, see. Gold to gem conversions have been going up steadily without fail because more people have been converting to gems rather than buying them with IRL cash.

But they DID, because you can only buy gems with dollars in increments of 800.

And I was like, FINE, as long as I can micromanage the leftover gems, and getting value out of the excess gems I bought WITH ACTUAL MONEY that they DID profit from, by topping up to a round amount with in-game gold, or converting back into in-game gold.

lordkrall.7241

Haven’t you noticed, it’s the only way for them to acknowledge the playerbase’s concerns.

I suppose potentially losing the forums altogether (or at least any sort of employee interaction) does not cross peoples minds at all then?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

Just going to say:

I appreciate having the flexibility to convert odd amounts. I have been buying gem cards to purchase items and rounding out the leftover gems with gold-to-gem conversions. This new interface means it’s going to be a pain to zero out leftover gems that way. I think having a basic gem-gold currency conversion tab (new version) and an advanced tab (the old version) is a good idea.

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

We should spread the word to the people online. Let them know we can actively do something to force Anet’s hand. Anyone?

on page 15 or 16, we had a number of gemstore whales agree not to spend anything until this is resolved. Frankly, from the tone of this thread, I’m pretty sure the majority of posters will hold off. I can’t even bring myself to log into the game, this is so distasteful.

Vlad Morbius.1759

The vast majority are not abusing but are asking for updates. There are good and bad on both sides, people who spew venom and those who defend poor decisions. They have the feedback they need, a response is being asked for so now the ball is squarely in their court wouldn’t you say?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I know I’ve posted many times that I think the whole situation is out of their hands but still there has to be someone there with their head screwed tightly to their shoulders and know that silence is not helping. I do feel bad for the existing staff but more so for all those before them and those that had thrown their heart and soul into building the game only to watch what is happening today. That has got to be disheartening and quite depressing to say the least.

Welcome to online gaming of this decade.

Because I can promise you there’s a massive divide right now, not just at Arena.net, but at just about every developer and their publishers. This sort of thing isn’t unique to Guild Wars 2, guys. It’s EVERYWHERE.

Publishers used to covet the Blizzard and World of Warcraft revenue train. But they’ve come to realize that no one is going to be able to corner the market like that ever again. Even Blizzard knows that at this point.

But there’s a new market they covet. The market that made simple-minded games like Farmville and Candy Crush Saga the biggest money makers of the last five years. Executives and publishers see THAT money, and start to salivate. They’re trying to lure and entice THAT market, appeal to their interests, give them a payment model they are already familiar with, and the promise of a fuller more immersive game than they will find on their iPhone.

Will THAT gambit work? Who knows… but every single kitten MMO publisher on the planet sure as hell seems to be trying.

Vlad Morbius.1759

I suppose potentially losing the forums altogether (or at least any sort of employee interaction) does not cross peoples minds at all then?

Does the game dyeing due to poor decisions not cross peoples minds at all, or the lack of feedback to the concerns voiced?

lordkrall.7241

The vast majority are not abusing but are asking for updates. There are good and bad on both sides, people who spew venom and those who defend poor decisions. They have the feedback they need, a response is being asked for so now the ball is squarely in their court wouldn’t you say?

Sure a response would be nice, but when people are abusive like they are in here I don’t really think anyone at ArenaNet is all that interested in actually giving a response.

People also have to keep in mind that things takes time. They need to make decisions and such before giving an actual response.

If people really want a response, maybe they should start by understanding that the red posters are actual people as well?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Krimz.2640

Krimz.2640

I’m really hung up on the fact this was once again a change for “confused new players.”

If the new players you’ve started to cater to are so uber-casual that they can’t grasp something as simple as the gold-to-gem exchange interface, do you expect them to stick around once they get into the more complicated aspects of the game? Do you think they’ll have the patience to grind up 150+ gold for a single outfit? Are you going to dumb everything else down to the point the game is full of nothing but bored, facerolling casuals?

as if it isn’t casual enough. that’s beside the point, though.

I, along with what seems to be everyone else, am not buying into this reasoning. :s

I honestly thought Guild Wars 2 would be doing pretty well.

(edited by Krimz.2640)

Posted by: Big Erk.2058

Big Erk.2058

While wiping away their tears of laughter with our crisp dollar bills.

Hope they get paper cuts.

lordkrall.7241

Does the game dyeing due to poor decisions not cross peoples minds at all, or the lack of feedback to the concerns voiced?

The game is not close do dying. Nor will this change kill it. The vast majority of the players probably don’t even know/care about this change nor what is happening (or not happening) on the forums.

The thing is if people keep abusing the devs and the company they might simply decide that it is not worth posting at all or even have a forum for anything other than supports (as in Guild Wars 1). Which could quite easily mean that they would just close them down.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Pretty sure that’s the spike that comes with every major patch that offers new items, as well as the changes to the conversion options, forcing people to pay a minimum of 70-80 gold for gems, or another $10.

No. Also yes. But mainly no.

The spike is higher and steeper than any update ever. The reason is kind of because it’s patch day with a holiday content update. But it’s probably because the volume of Gold->Gem is way above what you could expect during this period.

The reason for that is why we’re posting here – players have a minimum Gold -> Gem purchase of 400 Gems. This baseline is obviously pushing Gems purchased by gold way above normality, given the trend we’re seeing.

It seems calculated to remove gold savings at record high gem costs to exhaust this stream. Once it has dried up sufficiently it’ll nudge players into using cash, along with the model they’ve adopted which has the same goal.

(edited by dace.8019)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, apparently support tickets by new players saying the currency converter is confusing seems to grab their attention too.

And here is what I was afraid of with them continually responding to outcries the most and people feeling okay to throw tantrums rather than hold discussions. This sentiment, right here, that the only way to get an answer is to threaten, belittle, and in general make a scene.

Welp, I now know what I must do to get my asura-firing trebuchet.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.