Mage/warlock class

Mage/warlock class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GodAmongUs.9713

GodAmongUs.9713

Hi. I was wondering if there will be any mage/warlock class. Because I feel that the game really lacks the mystery and the variety of skills they can add. The ele is too much using substantial skills and the mesmer is the opposite. Why can’t there be a classic mage with classic skills like fireballs, illusions, magical seals, calling mythical creatures healing, teleporting summoning storms and such.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Smitty.9432

Smitty.9432

fireballs – ele
illusions – mesmer
magical seals – ele/mesmer
calling creatures – necro, guardian
healing – guardian, ele
teleporting – mesmer, ele, necro, thief, guardian
summoning storms – ele

I don’t see the problem here. If you’re asking to put it all into one class it would be OP..

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Gandalf.5803

Gandalf.5803

All those skills are available between Mesmer and Elementalist, also Necromancer. Isn’t it better that they have managed to create 3 different professions, rather than one generic mage?

I don’t see any point in this…

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

To be honest, I don’t know what you mean. You want a class that has some spells from other, already available, spellcaster classes?

Because I feel that the game really lacks the mystery

Please explain

The ele is too much using substantial skills and the mesmer is the opposite.

Please explain

fireballs,

Elementalist

illusions,

Mesmer

magical seals,

No idea what you mean by “seals”

calling mythical creatures healing,

Necromancer

teleporting

Mesmer

summoning storms and such.

Elementalist

Looks to me like you’re not looking for a new class with its own unique mechanics and style, but rather are annoyed that you can’t have everything in one package (I want the warrior’s greatswords skills, and a pet, and turrets!)

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

what do you mean “warlocks/mages”? All of the magical abilities you ask for are in game, plentiful. Guess you want the wow classes transfered 1:1 into GW2. Well, if you want to duplicate that game, why not play the original I wonder?

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m not sure what you’re looking for here. Perhaps a single class that embodies the aspects which have been split into the 3 cloth wearing classes of GW2?

fireballs → Ele, satff, auto attack (its even aoe)

illusions → mesmer, see any number of clones and phantasms

magical seals → depends on what you mean by this, but mesmer mantras come to mind

calling mythical creatures – > necromancer, minions / elementalist, glyph of elementals

healing → ele, water line / guardian / engineer / even necro I think (still leveling these)

teleporting → elementalists, teleport (utility) and ride the lightning, mesmers, blink and portals. Although, what I think you’re talking about here might be more along the lines of the city teleports in WoW, at which point I must ask….what would be the point? Insta-map travel via waypoints….

summoning storms → elementalist, glyph of storms

The things you seek exist within the game. ANet stated that they did cover all the base archetypes in their classes. The difference is that they made them into 3 classes instead of just 2.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Id suggest going back to WoW.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: ProTech.8402

ProTech.8402

I really like ranged magical dps classes so I can dps from afar without worrying about dieing. I could choose from three classes in WoW.

Fire and Frost Mage → Elementalist
Elemental Shaman → Elementalist
Balance Druid → Norn Elementalist

Nice selection right there. I hate Warlock and Arcane Mage so Mesmer and Necro are not applicable here. So there is at least one class which would be perfect for me the Elementalist. So I can deal massive damage from range to the enemies. Well the best build for an Elementalist is Dagger/Dagger which is short range and the massive damage is just not there. It can survive if you are level 80 with Exotic gear and you know what you are doing. Not if this is your first character and you don’t know that you can dodge. Let just say I died a lot during leveling. It was also disheartening that I use combo fields to stack might dodge switch attunements and heal, to just kill normal enemies, while a Warrior simply hit it a couple of times and it died.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: bunnyandbear.5734

bunnyandbear.5734

Mage / Warlock is pretty well covered by Mesmer and Necromancer professions. I really don’t see the need for another cloth armor wearer. I think it was previously stated that another profession will be added in the heavy armor category since medium and cloth armor professions both have 3 each but heavy only has 1. Plus another heavy armor wearer could actually be a magic caster this time instead of melee focused as that would be really interesting for some kind of ranged DPS focused heavy armor wearer.

Mage/warlock class

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think it was previously stated that another profession will be added in the heavy armor category .

Colin stated if they decided to do another profession, it would be heavy, so that yes we would have 3 options in all 3 categories. He also went on to state thakittens not likely, since they feel that they covered the base archetypes, and went on to state that we’re more likely to see more weapons for the existing professions, rather than a new profession. (Recent live stream)

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: GodAmongUs.9713

GodAmongUs.9713

I don’t think that they have covered all the skills. What about gravitation control, changing form, light and darkness, calling magical creatures, energy prisons and more.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I don’t think that they have covered all the skills. What about gravitation control, changing form, light and darkness, calling magical creatures, energy prisons and more.

Mesmer and Necro can pull targets to them.
Mesmer and Ele can knock targets away.
Necro can change forms.
Norns can change form.
Ele and Necro have pets.
Ele can AE stun.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Elementalist and Necromancers summon pets/magical creatures. Elementalist have magnetic powers~ close enough to gravity.

You’ll have to wait for them to add Dervish as a Shapeshifter into god based monsters, otherwise make a Norn/Necro till then.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Smitty.9432

Smitty.9432

No idea what gravitation control is. Lifting people? Closest thing is knockbacks.

changing form – Norn animal transformations, ele tornado, warrior rampage, necro plague/lich form, and so on

light = light fields, dark = dark fields

magical creatures = ele glyphs of elementals, hounds of balthazar and spirit wolf elites

energy prisons = ele air staff static field, guardian hammer circle ward, necro fear wall, etc.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Think he just wants his class from another MMO (in which we shouldn’t mention the name of) copypasta’d exactly as is into GW2.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Sounds like someone wants to play WoW without playing WoW.

Mage/warlock class

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Again, all these things are covered by the various classes. Please look at the skills. We have knock backs, we have immobilizers, we have swap mechanics, we have form changing, we have critter pets/summons, etc etc etc.

This.Is.Not.WoW. If you want the WoW class, then please play WoW. Otherwise, all the stuff you seek is available in the classes that already exist.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: sanictoofast.9317

sanictoofast.9317

OP necro is as close as it gets to warlock. theyre both magical bombers and have dark themes, if you don’t think they’re bombers then you need to play that class longer then 15 minutes

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

They have pretty well nailed the archetypes between the Elementalist and the Necromancer alone.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Hi. I was wondering if there will be any mage/warlock class. Because I feel that the game really lacks the mystery and the variety of skills they can add. The ele is too much using substantial skills and the mesmer is the opposite. Why can’t there be a classic mage with classic skills like fireballs, illusions, magical seals, calling mythical creatures healing, teleporting summoning storms and such.

Wait, what? There can’t be a “classic mage” because that would render a couple classes redundant. The overwhelming majority of your list of skills are already present in game in some form, they’re just not bundled into one. And what exactly would be a “magical seal”? Did I just fall for a troll thread? :/

Whispers with meat.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: sonicwylde.2906

sonicwylde.2906

Because all the professions use a school of magic, they are all technically mages (read the lore of GW1 and GW2).

But Elementalists cast a classic fireball with both scepter and staff, they can summon creatures, weapons, Glyph of Storms summons elemental storms, they can teleport as well as a gap closer, water elemental heals, they also heal, boon, etc

Mesmers do illusions, seals, create clones, teleport, portal, etc

etc.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Because all the professions use a school of magic, they are all technically mages (read the lore of GW1 and GW2).

But Elementalists cast a classic fireball with both scepter and staff, they can summon creatures, weapons, Glyph of Storms summons elemental storms, they can teleport as well as a gap closer, water elemental heals, they also heal, boon, etc

Mesmers do illusions, seals, create clones, teleport, portal, etc

etc.

I was thinking about this the other day and technically Engineers and Warriors don’t use magic. All the other classes, however, do. I mean, yes, Warriors can channel fire into their skills, and then you also get into the problem of racial skills (tell me that asking for God’s powers isn’t magic) etc, etc, but for the most part those are the two professions that don’t use Magic. I was also thinking Ranger, but their attack channel spirits of the wild and other magical beast stuffs. And don’t tell me that Thieves don’t use magic. They can shadowstep, among other things.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: sonicwylde.2906

sonicwylde.2906

Signets are a form of magic as well, thus all but engineers can use magic, so I would sya the only real profession that has no actual magic is Engineer (humans/norn with the calling on gods/spirits an exception but that is race based)… at least from what I have read anyway

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

All those skills are available between Mesmer and Elementalist, also Necromancer. Isn’t it better that they have managed to create 3 different professions,

Nope because they’ve segmented various parts of what makes a mage a great class, each segment is the lesser for it. My ideal class would be a mixture of ele and necro. They could solve the issue by having dual classes like GW1 did.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Mage/warlock class

Esplen.3940

All those skills are available between Mesmer and Elementalist, also Necromancer. Isn’t it better that they have managed to create 3 different professions,

Nope because they’ve segmented various parts of what makes a mage a great class, each segment is the lesser for it. My ideal class would be a mixture of ele and necro. They could solve the issue by having dual classes like GW1 did.

And then make PvP broken and WvW require players to have specific combinations. Not to mention the massive power overload (not even creep at that point) to the extent of forcing new tiers of enemies which won’t be noob or pug friendly, which would cause the game to become more elitist since only the elitist would run the new content and all players would try, but most would just fail.

Sounds fun!

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Dual-classing would be a balance nightmare. It was in GW1 (the sheer number of skills didn’t help with that either).

Not only would they have to balance the how the main profession’s skills would work with each other, but how every other profession’s skills would work with the main professions skills.

As for the segmentation, that’s explained in the lore.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

And then make PvP broken and WvW require players to have specific combinations.

Um this has pretty much happened anyway and other games manage to do it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

Esplen.3940

And then make PvP broken and WvW require players to have specific combinations.

Um this has pretty much happened anyway and other games manage to do it.

Really? I never knew that I was forced to run my Mesmer with a specific secondary class or build in WvW. Never got that memo.

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

Um this has pretty much happened anyway…

So your solution is to add another element that would make it worse?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

How would it be worse if it already exists?

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

Esplen.3940

In what ways does it exist, please do tell.

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

Really? I never knew that I was forced to run my Mesmer with a specific secondary class or build in WvW. Never got that memo.

Most major WvW guilds require players to run with specific load outs. If your guild doesn’t require it bully for you but that wouldn’t change under a dual classing system.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

Are you really saying something can’t become worse if it exists? o.O

[Balance team only has to balance the skills tied to the profession]

is made worse by

[Balance team has to not only balance the skills tied to that profession, but with all other suitable skills that they could potentially use from all other professions]

Most major WvW guilds require players to run with specific load outs. If your guild doesn’t require it bully for you but that wouldn’t change under a dual classing system.

No, but it can be made worse.

That one profession you bring for a specific utility or two now becomes obsolete, because another profession can bring it.

I mean, can you imagine a Permastealth thief with Portal?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

is made worse by

[Balance team has to not only balance the skills tied to that profession, but with all other suitable skills that they could potentially use from all other professions]

Like I said other games manage it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

is made worse by

Like I said other games manage it.

Not really. You still get the builds that are pretty much must-have, with others lagging behind, and the builds that are plain useless.

Yes, it’s the same as single professions, but more of the devs time can be spent balancing them single professions to get more viable builds, because they’re focusing on balancing just them skills, and not them skills and their compatibility with the skills of seven other professions.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Hi. I was wondering if there will be any mage/warlock class. .

I, personally, would love it if GW2 came out with a Ninja class. Ninjas are known for being invisible, their wall climbing ability, and 1-strike kills.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

Hi. I was wondering if there will be any mage/warlock class. .

I, personally, would love it if GW2 came out with a Ninja class. Ninjas are known for being invisible, their wall climbing ability, and 1-strike kills.

The only problem with invisibility and one-strike kills is the non-existent room for counter-play.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

Not really. You still get the builds that are pretty much must-have, with others lagging behind, and the builds that are plain useless.

Yes, it’s the same as single professions, but more of the devs time can be spent balancing them single professions to get more viable builds, because they’re focusing on balancing just them skills, and not them skills and their compatibility with the skills of seven other professions.

Class balance is horrible anyway with many useless builds.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

And again I ask; how would introducing dual-classing help that?

Answer: It won’t.

We’d just end up with even more useless builds, and even more work to get more viable builds, meaning it would take longer to get certain builds brought up to scratch, and others taken down a peg.

And, as you pointed out, class balance is horrible, so the whole ‘other companies manage it’ doesn’t really apply, since we aren’t talking about other companies.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

morrolan.9608

I’m not saying it will I’m saying that given that balance is horrible anyway its not a reason not to have dual classes.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m not saying it will I’m saying that given that balance is horrible anyway its not a reason not to have dual classes.

I’m really struggling to see the logic in ‘well, it’s bad, so lets throw something in that’ll make it worse and even harder to balance, instead of focusing on improving what we have’, not going to lie.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

NewTrain.7549

The house is on fire, that’s bad. So instead of putting water on it (good), let’s dump gasoline on it, because well, it’s already on fire, right?

What great logic.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

The house is on fire, that’s bad. So instead of putting water on it (good), let’s dump gasoline on it, because well, it’s already on fire, right?

What great logic.

/thread

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

What great logic.

You know that there are people in the world who literally fight fire with fire, right?

PS: not condoning dual classes in GW2, just being a smartkitten here.

Mage/warlock class

TheDaiBish.9735

What great logic.

You know that there are people in the world who literally fight fire with fire, right?

That’s lighting controlled fires to prevent fires though.

Not pouring fuel onto an already lit fire, making that fire worse :P

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mage/warlock class

NewTrain.7549

What great logic.

Okay…but fighting fire with fire is not fighting fire with gasoline.

Mage/warlock class

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Lol why is this thread still alive…