Make shirtless an option!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hwarang.4789

Hwarang.4789

I’ve noticed that taking gloves and head gear off is an option whilst still keeping the item’s stats. It would be great if taking off top half of the armour could become an option too. I’d like to show off my toon’s muscles :P

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Would female characters get that option too? :p

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

If that were to happen, do you know how many female characters wold be running around shirtless? ~counts on fingers, then toes~ Well….a LOT.

I’m not necessarily opposed to that (I’m a guy after all), but I’m just putting that out there.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

I’d like this option too. I actually played one of my charr like this because it was the only way to see his nice fur pattern.
(and female characters have a bra/some kind of underwear so I don’t think it would be that controversial)

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

I support this Option.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Exun.7825

Exun.7825

If gloves, helmet and shoulder display is an option, it is because it isn’t inappropriate so Anet gives us the choice to tweak how our characters looks like. fighting naked is absolutely inappropriate.

You can already walk around almost naked in LA.

People need fences

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Would female characters get that option too? :p

They pretty much already do with duelist and human racial armor.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

This is ridiculous. If no one else is gonna say it, then ill be the one to do it.
A brief list as to why:
1. This would be unbelievably immersion breaking.
2. This would be inappropriate for a T-Rated game,
based on how a majority would use it.
3. This would be nonsensical in a combat-driven world.
4. This has no forseeable positive effect on aggregate
player experience, and in turn not be worth a second of
a developer’s time.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Holy friggin’ frak, ppl! When females go “shirtless” (i.e. when you take off their torso armor), they still have something covering their breasts, even if they don’t have breasts (Charr and Asura females).

You guys are being extremely immature if you honestly think such a suggestion will make boobies visible.

That all said, I’d prefer more torso armor that shows sections of the torso exposed on all grades of armor. Such armor was made for this Charr:

Attachments:

Posted by: robotosis.4872

robotosis.4872

As a male norn, I agree.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

a developer’s time.

Not sure how or why seeing a woman in a bra/bikini top is anything more than PG, to be honest.

Have you seen some of the armour designs? A fair few of them would be utterly impractical and some even a massive hindrance in combat

Players wanting the change makes it something positively impacting. look at mail carriers, they do bugger all for the game except change an animation you see for all of two seconds if you’re paying close attention, but they made it anyway

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

• cracks knuckles *

This is ridiculous. If no one else is gonna say it, then ill be the one to do it.
A brief list as to why:

the game doesn’t even have immersion so what exactly is it breaking?

firstly, the worst thing you can say in a argument is a statement about the so called majority, you are not the majority and the majority would think so to.
secondly, we have armor that is allot more revealing then simply removing the top armor, get off your high horses.

but a broom to fly on or a magic carpet that has absolutely no other use then cosmetic does?

a developer’s time.

except for your post all of them are possitive, you’re quite the glass half empty aren’t you.
also, what is worth the dev time according to you doesn’t remove the worth according to others, it’s more what Anet thinks is worth the time.

Exun.7825

This is not because things are not fully appropriate that it is morally acceptable to make it worse.

Rialen : I support what you said.

By the way I don’t understand why people always think that majority = truth (especially when they are part of the majority and make it an excuse)

(edited by Exun.7825)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

No thank you, i get tired of seeing people running around citys in game doing that already.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

At the very least make it possible for Charr and Sylvari characters – but really make it an option for all if that’s easiest.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

A brief list as to why:
a developer’s time.

Conan had no problems fighting toppless.

Attachments:

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Oh you dirty pirates!!!

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

If it’s how some of you wanna get your thrills and kicks then all power to you.. I guess for some it’s the closest they will likely ever get to the real deal.

Seriously though if your so keen to look at half naked body of humans, human like, cats, dogs and trees then I would hazard a guess there are far more educational sites you can frequent to get your kicks.

Personally I couldn’t care less what players dress up or dress down like in game, its not something I worry about but if the devs ever decide its remotely a good thing for the game then it should at least come with a stat penalty or such including the current allowances on helmets and such.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

For those worried about how immersion breaking it is and how immature it would be:

You can already remove ALL your armor in PvP. Removing it doesn’t really make a difference with most things being tied to the amulet.

I don’t really see people running around naked as often as you might think.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

What if, rather than making “shirtless” an option (as a checkbox in the chest armour icon), they released a new armour set- perhaps 3 armour sets, 1 for each armour weight.

The armour set would be themed towards shirtless-ness. Males would have no shirt (or perhaps some kind of trinkets), females would have a crop-top, fancy lingerie or something covering the breast area (I don’t think we’ll ever see humanoid characters completely topless for social reasons).

Otherwise, it’d be neat to see “tattoo armour”, like what we saw in GW1 for Monks. The armours were often designed to show as much skin/tattoos as possible, whilst still covering up the necessary areas.

I realise that norns already have tattoos, but there are already facial tattoos purchasable from the gem-store. The necro starter skins also appear to be tattoo-like. I’ve seen a bunch of people use these tattoos over the top of their norn tattoos with awesome results!

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I would definitely like this option, anyone against it can just not take advantage of the option (just like with gloves, shoulders and helm).

Posted by: Vrita.7846

Vrita.7846

If you want “shirtless” you could always go Sylvari. Their T1 cultural light coat is probably the smallest piece of “clothing” in this game. With that being said, the reason I went with as little clothing as possible on my Sylvari is because of their unique glow patterns, since you can’t see any of that wearing the many dresses and robes in this game.

Attachments:

Coulter.2315

If you want “shirtless” you could always go Sylvari. Their T1 cultural light coat is probably the smallest piece of “clothing” in this game. With that being said, the reason I went with as little clothing as possible on my Sylvari is because of their unique glow patterns, since you can’t see any of that wearing the many dresses and robes in this game.

I want a shirtless human male though not sylvari.

Vrita.7846

Is he a heavy class? The Scallywag Chest is probably your best bet, if they’re medium or light, I’m not sure.

Coulter.2315

Is he a heavy class? The Scallywag Chest is probably your best bet, if they’re medium or light, I’m not sure.

Light, no armor is sufficient, hence my wish for the option.

Vrita.7846

Light, no armor is sufficient, hence my wish for the option.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The closest thing to “shirtless” for light armor is the feathered vestments. I feel like they could make an option for males to go shirtless, females don’t really need it because a good chunk if their armor is skimpy as it is.

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

If shirtless was an option I could level a second ele as Charr!

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

No, that’s just stupid. I could understand if it was a racial/class lore thing, but to give everyone that option is just immersion breaking.

Hiding shoulders, gloves, and helm only, makes more sense since battles can be fought without them. It’s very rare that people would go into battle without some chest and leg protection, unless they’re some indigenous tribe.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if they finally make an option for straight standing charr then that would make things a ton better
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Charr_ritualist.jpg

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I don’t see how anyone can even bring up “immersion” as a reason to oppose anything anymore. If you are still able to be “immersed” in a fantasy world with baseball caps, plushy backpacks, and a ridiculous array of comical PvP finishers, you should be able to see a shirtless character without completely losing it.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

If that were to happen, do you know how many female characters wold be running around shirtless? ~counts on fingers, then toes~ Well….a LOT.

I would assume that if such an option were ever added, they’d put the females in bikini tops or tank-top t-shirts. Frankly I would hope the t-shirts because otherwise silly conduct would ensue (just look at any elf-heavy region in other MMOs)…

Otherwise you’d have the problem the Conan game had… while it “added realism”, the game is basically nothing but a horde of people running around on female toons without clothing…

That or… I need to put up with that situation long enough to get past the noob levels and see people doing something other than sillyness…

Helmets are usually a ‘hide option’ in MMOs because we’ve all gotten used to the Hollywood idea where main actors even in combat action flicks take off their helmets before any scene with dialog so that the actor can get ‘screen time’ for his resume.

Shoulders got the option after some MMOs started added silly huge shoulders, and others counter-reacted by telling players “even if our art team starts going nuts like those other guys, we won’t make you put up with it.”
- I think I recall this even being a conversation between the community and devs here when this game was in development and people were listing reasons they wanted to come here from other MMOs. Shoulder-Mania is a problem, and Game-Devs need a 12-step program for it…

I can’t see any reason to allow shirtless. This isn’t a KungFu or Rambo simulation… :P
- Nor is the genre ‘Sword and Sorcery’ but is instead ‘Steampunk’.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Kichwas.7152

if they finally make an option for straight standing charr then that would make things a ton better
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Charr_ritualist.jpg

That guy had a spinal problem. He was deformed. As a child, he got jokes of “human back! human back! you got a human back. Your momma must have… [insert kittens here]”

He was rejected, and had to move to Shing Jea, and live among humans, in order to study the art of the Ritualist…

Now he stalks in the night, the back corners of the Black Citadel, looking for young Charr cubs that tease other deformed children, and kidnapping them to use as zombie minions for his dark Shing Jea rituals.

Bat-Charr is looking for him.

Coulter.2315

I can’t see any reason to allow shirtless. This isn’t a KungFu or Rambo simulation… :P

Are you under the impression that ONLY KungFu, Rambo or Sword&Sorcery people ever go about shirtless? Seems like a very narrow view. GW2 is a mix of many different art styles and looks, all people are wanting is another option.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

You already have the option… just take off your shirt! Some players do that. Maybe not in high level fractals and WvW, and somewhat rarely in PvP, but in general PvE just… take your shirt off?

Coulter.2315

You already have the option… just take off your shirt! Some players do that. Maybe not in high level fractals and WvW, and somewhat rarely in PvP, but in general PvE just… take your shirt off?

Then I lose Rune Bonus in PvE and take extra damage in PvP, I want to do more than sit in town.

Kichwas.7152

Are you under the impression that ONLY KungFu, Rambo or Sword&Sorcery people ever go about shirtless? Seems like a very narrow view. GW2 is a mix of many different art styles and looks, all people are wanting is another option.

No but I -AM- under the impression that those are the primary 3 genres where you can run around ‘without an outfit’ and not be killed in seconds by somebody with a sharp stick or fast moving metal stone.

In the genres where we have been conditioned to remove our helmets and/or shirts thanks to Hollywood – this is actually a very good way to end up missing a head… or a body, depending on which end ends up in the camera after your first encounter with the enemy… but we accept it because its how actors get billing for the resume…

In the history of Asian military campaigns, the guy doing spin kicks while wearing a farmer’s outfit ended up dead… thanks to the guy in armor with a big sword… and in wars from WWI up to modern day, the Rambo hero that took off his helmet… decorated the cammo of the guy next to him with brains thanks to the sniper… and as for Sword and Sorcery… an armor style that comes from the ancient Greeks… (because actual other low tech cultures did have armor – just made from wood, bone, leather, shell, etc) well, back then pretty much everybody ended up dead, and war was grizzly… and then Romans came along, dressed in armor, and conquered them so fast nobody even had time to change the religion or switch out the local statues…

We’re in a Steampunk MMO.

This genre isn’t known for shirtless barbarians and shirtless Shaolin guys with nunchuks. Nor is it known for actors who have accents even in their native language, and hang out in film noir jungle scenes talking about depression…

- Shirtless isn’t in the script for this genre.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Coulter.2315

No but I -AM- under the impression that those are the primary 3 genres where you can run around ‘without an outfit’ and not be killed in seconds by somebody with a sharp stick or fast moving metal stone.

Just as, in the genres where we have been conditioned to remove our helmets thanks to hollywood – this is actually a very good way to end up missing a head… or a body, depending on which end ends up in the camera after your first encounter with the enemy… but we accept it because its how actors get billing for the resume…

In the history of Asian military campaigns, the guy doing spin kicks while wearing a farmer’s outfit ended up dead… thanks to the guy in armor with a big sword… and in wars from WWI up to modern day, the Rambo hero that took off his helmet… decorated the cammo of the guy next to him with brains thanks to the sniper… and as for Sword and Sorcery… an armor style that comes from the ancient greeks… well, back then pretty much everybody ended up dead, and war was grizzly… and then Romans came along, dressed in armor, and conquered them so fast nobody even had time to change the religion or switch out the local statues…

This genre isn’t known for shirtless barbarians and shirtless Shaolin guys with nunchuks. Nor is it known for actors who have accents even in their native language, and hang out in film noir jungle scenes talking about depression…

I’m a Mesmer playing with the expectations of my opponents and forcing them to believe there is weakness when there isn’t, what they see is what I tell them to see and if I want them to see me topless I can.

I am an Elementalist I weave a current of air around my body that deflects as well as the most intricate silk.

I am a Necro I have caused the top layer of my skin to die and created an armour from the putrifying flesh hard as leather.

Light armour done and thats all I care about anyway. I’m justifying it this way to humour you, nothing but a bit of fun. You’re trying to put your rules and constructs on a world which doesn’t match any notion of your design. We have quaggan backpacks – get over your desires to control what people wear and what we look like.

Kichwas.7152

You’re trying to put your rules and constructs on a world which doesn’t match any notion of your design. We have quaggan backpacks – get over your desires to control what people wear and what we look like.

Actually no.

I’m putting what the already existing conventions of this game are. I’m not the one who set the genre here. If I did things would have ended up very different – the over-abundance of all this steampunk is what drove me away from GW2 for the last 2 years; if we were to make my list of how things should have gone- we’d be having conversations about Elona and Kaineng City; and the armor style genre conventions those two allowed for.

That there are costume items doesn’t change that.

You are the one advocating for a change – so the burden to justify it and explain why your toon shouldn’t end up dead for not wearing gear, is on you.

Coulter.2315

You’re trying to put your rules and constructs on a world which doesn’t match any notion of your design. We have quaggan backpacks – get over your desires to control what people wear and what we look like.

Actually no.

I’m putting what the already existing conventions of this game are. I’m not the one who set the genre here. If I did things would have ended up very different – the over-abundance of all this steampunk is what drove me away from GW2 for the last 2 years; if we were to make my list of how things should have gone- we’d be having conversations about Elona and Kaineng City; and the armor style genre conventions those two allowed for.

That there are costume items doesn’t change that.

You are the one advocating for a change – so the burden to justify it and explain why your toon shouldn’t end up dead for not wearing gear, is on you.

I did just justify light.

Medium

I’m a Ranger I have used my knowledge of the wilds to create an oil that when put on my body can deflect any blow.

I’m a Thief the extra weight slows my reflexes and I can avoid critical hits just as easily with having access to greater freedom of movement.

I’m an Engineer I’ve design a microfilament suit tough as hardened leather waifer thin and see through.

Heavy

I’m a Warrior, Conan is my hero.

I’m a Guardian the power of Dwayna protects me through faith alone.

All done, also if you’ve been gone 2 years stop trying to mess up what current players want xD

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

If it’s how some of you wanna get your thrills and kicks then all power to you.. I guess for some it’s the closest they will likely ever get to the real deal.

Seriously though if your so keen to look at half naked body of humans, human like, cats, dogs and trees then I would hazard a guess there are far more educational sites you can frequent to get your kicks.

Personally I couldn’t care less what players dress up or dress down like in game, its not something I worry about but if the devs ever decide its remotely a good thing for the game then it should at least come with a stat penalty or such including the current allowances on helmets and such.

Going to wager you do care. Otherwise I don’t even see a reason you’d post in this thread let alone hope that a penalty would be incurred for a purely cosmetic choice.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

this only makes sense if you get to dye your under garments on females.

I dont see how it would really work with human females, besides light armor which already has tops that are basically bras. Imagine someone running around in full forgeman gear wearing no top. It would look downright silly. The best way to do it woudl be to do what someone suggested above, create an armor set for all weights (armor not outfit!) that focuses on shirtlessness and gives the ability to dye the bra on females and also gives legs that work without a shirt.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In the genres where we have been conditioned to remove our helmets and/or shirts thanks to Hollywood – this is actually a very good way to end up missing a head… or a body, depending on which end ends up in the camera after your first encounter with the enemy… but we accept it because its how actors get billing for the resume…

In the history of Asian military campaigns, the guy doing spin kicks while wearing a farmer’s outfit ended up dead… thanks to the guy in armor with a big sword… and in wars from WWI up to modern day, the Rambo hero that took off his helmet… decorated the cammo of the guy next to him with brains thanks to the sniper… and as for Sword and Sorcery… an armor style that comes from the ancient Greeks… (because actual other low tech cultures did have armor – just made from wood, bone, leather, shell, etc) well, back then pretty much everybody ended up dead, and war was grizzly… and then Romans came along, dressed in armor, and conquered them so fast nobody even had time to change the religion or switch out the local statues…

This genre (as you put it) has people running around in light clothing, that does not necessarily even cover vital organs, with no helmet. Heavy armor exists in the setting that does not cover vital organs. Cloth or leather clothing is not any better for stopping a bullet or heavy shrapnel than would bare skin.

GW2 has elements of steampunk, but also elements of high fantasy, sword and sorcery, and myriad other subgenres of fantasy literature/gaming.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I don’t see how anyone can even bring up “immersion” as a reason to oppose anything anymore. If you are still able to be “immersed” in a fantasy world with baseball caps, plushy backpacks, and a ridiculous array of comical PvP finishers, you should be able to see a shirtless character without completely losing it.

This person gets it. All armor pieces should have a toggle-off box, and they should sell various kinds of undergarments on the gem store. I don’t see what the big deal is in having those options, especially now with how outfits function in game.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I’m all for this, especially for my norn and char characters. The char fur pattern is almost entirely covered up and the norn have these great massive tattoos that are often completely hidden.

Worrying about whether it would be realistic seems silly to me in a game where a good portion of the armor shows a tremendous amount of skin as it is, especially since the exposed area is almost always around the stomach or chest leaving the most vital organs completely exposed. Major arteries are also consistently exposed, while the shoulders and ankles and wrists are almost ridiculously well guarded. And that isn’t immersion breaking? Some people find strange things to care about.

If we’re going to get really silly about it, we need to get rid of any armor that has a lot of ridges, especially any armor that conforms to the breasts. Ancient armor was designed to deflect the blade away from the body so most of the power of the swing is wasted and directed away. Designing armor so that it wraps around the breasts like a bra would be deadly because it would catch the blade and force a majority of the power of the swing inward, a design flaw that is quite frankly deadly. Honestly if anything it might be more realistic for female warriors not to wear this terribly unrealistic armor that directs the blow into their chests; the added mobility would probably be more useful than the critically vulnerable armor. The same is true although to a lesser extent with all the male armor with sculpted chest pieces.

Honestly opposing this option seems like drawing an arbitrary line when we’ve already crossed so far over the line of realism it isn’t even visible anymore.

Exun.7825

[…] and they should sell various kinds of undergarments on the gem store […]

And maybe also some vertical bars so people could /poledance.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Then I lose Rune Bonus in PvE and take extra damage in PvP, I want to do more than sit in town.

Yeah, but come on… PvE is faceroll enough, you’ll be 100% fine without rune bonus and chest piece stats in open world, and probably dungeons too.

And while I personally wouldn’t PvP without chest piece, I see shirtless characters fairly regularly in unranked.

I’m just saying that if you want to ditch the chest piece bad enough, you can do it.

Coulter.2315

Yeah, but come on… PvE is faceroll enough, you’ll be 100% fine without rune bonus and chest piece stats in open world, and probably dungeons too.

And while I personally wouldn’t PvP without chest piece, I see shirtless characters fairly regularly in unranked.

I’m just saying that if you want to ditch the chest piece bad enough, you can do it.

I only play PvP and lvl 50 Fractals, I just would like the option to have my character look how I wish while playing – as do the majority of posters in this thread. If you’re not against the idea (as you advocate removing the top) why not support the addition of a toggle button?

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

A brief list as to why:
a developer’s time.

Conan had no problems fighting toppless.

In the Age of Conan game, both male and female characters can go around topless – a vanity armour slot allows this, should the player so wish. Topless ladies running around actually didn’t happen as often as one would think (least I hardly ever saw anything). Although, it is an 18-rated game.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I only play PvP and lvl 50 Fractals, I just would like the option to have my character look how I wish while playing – as do the majority of posters in this thread. If you’re not against the idea (as you advocate removing the top) why not support the addition of a toggle button?

Because I don’t necessarily want to deal with the fallout of every troll character running around in a yellow bra. :/

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Going to wager you do care. Otherwise I don’t even see a reason you’d post in this thread let alone hope that a penalty would be incurred for a purely cosmetic choice.

Sorry to disappoint ya but no I don’t.. I grew out of trying to stair at fleshy pixels many moons ago, but like I said whatever floats players boats is fine with me.
As for stat penalties it wouldn’t make much sense to go into world boss events, or any kind of event/raid etc naked without a penalty of some kind to your stats.
Heck why spend the time gearing up or buying outfits etc if all ya going to do is run around without them on .. but if players wanna waste the gold and in many cases real hard currency to then play naked fantasies .. well as I said all power to them, its money well spent in terms of filling the coffers back at HQ