Mastery points, ugh [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I prefer the way skill points and skills were done as compared to Mastery points and XP.

With skills, you get enough skill points to buy them by leveling or by doing Hero challenges. Not by doing arbitrary content that may be bugged or require good ping/reflexes/enough people on the map/timers. What I would have preferred is the same system as skill points. You get some Mastery points from leveling and the rest you get from communing at “Mastery Challenges.” The mini games and the other things that now give Mastery points then give AP, which is a more appropriate reward imo. If they want to gate the Mastery levels more then increase the amount of XP required, not by gating them by doing adventures or content.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I have no problems with mastery points. I have every problem in the world with having to gain experience and meet some arbitrary requirement for the “right” to spend them. It’s either one or the other: Let the experience dictate without the mastery points or let the mastery points dictate without the experience bar.

To be honest, I’d rather have 1 mastery point awarded automatically each time the XP bar fills (like we had for skill points before they were converted into spirit shards).

Mastery points were suppose to encourage us to actually do a bunch of the old content. The problem is some of the old content I don’t care about, such as fractals. There is 1 mastery point for Tyria I’ll never ever be able to get http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_%28achievements%29#achievement4 For completing the story mode for 8 dungeons. Dungeons are dead, and ArenaNet has flat out admitted here on the forums that they don’t want us doing them anymore (hence why they nerfed the rewards) and want us to do fractals instead.

Then there are some mastery points for content I would love to get, but the content is way to difficult to do alone. Living story season 2; episode 2 through the last 1. I was able to get all achievements for episode 1 on my own some time before HoT launched, but got stuck in episode 2. Looking around on the wiki for some achievements it flat out says it’s better to do it with a group of players, or at least 1 other player. Which sucks because it’s content designed to be soloed but the achievements require you to get help. The other problem is the living story season 2 achievements are also required to get the luminescent armor skins, which is something I’ve been wanting for a long time.

Other content I would like to do but is too difficult nobody wants to do it: the Triple Trouble world boss event. You get 1 mastery point for each of the 3 wurm heads you defeat (it would probably take you 3 completions to get them all). Another mastery point for decapitating the great jungle wurm and then defeating each of the 3 heads in 1 play of the event. The problem: I only ever tried this event twice, and recently. Both times there weren’t enough players at a single wurm head to defeat any of them (I also have no idea how to decapitate the wurm). I tried a different wurm head each time. There seemed to always be at least 4 champion level enemies around the wurms at all times. Basically this is an event that requires a ton of players and nobody seems to want to do it.

And 1 mastery point is locked behind an achievement that is incredibly expensive http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fashion#achievement1 Requires you to soulbind (actually just purchase) 90 unique pieces of cultural armor. The cheapest way is to buy T1 cultural armor for all 3 weights for all 5 races. A full set of 1 weight costs 20 gold. So you’re looking at a total of 300 gold minimum…….for 1…..single…..mastery point. (you could just buy all the armor for a single race on a single character if you wanted)

Some other examples of expensive and/or time consuming mastery points to get:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ambrite_Weapon_Collection Requires at least a T4 Dry Top to purchase the recipes, on top of farming events to get geodes to purchase them, and only have a window of 20 minutes at a time for sandstorms to find maybe 5-7 buried chests to get the unidentified fossilized insects.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_Accoutrement Craft all 3 sets of ascended armor (1 for each weight).
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_armor#Crafting

Note that all three sets contain ingredients that can only be crafted once per day as these are time-gated refinement recipes. This means that crafting a complete ascended armor set will take a minimum of 24 days, unless the crafting components are purchased from the Trading Post.

So you spend less gold and wait 24 days, per armor set, or spend hundreds and hundreds of gold to buy the time gated materials on the trading post. All that for…..1…..SINGLE…….MASTERY POINT!

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Does “metroidvania” style of progression really work in an mmo anyway? It’s just annoying that I can’t do that event or play with those guys because I’ve not done enough grind yet. Not to mention everyone has been there and seen that already. Those places and things to see don’t seem special at all.

They work. Too bad ANet either ran out of ideas, time or interest because many of the HoT masteries are just fillers to waste time. That is most if not all of the exalted line and at least half of the Nuhoch line.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Does “metroidvania” style of progression really work in an mmo anyway? It’s just annoying that I can’t do that event or play with those guys because I’ve not done enough grind yet. Not to mention everyone has been there and seen that already. Those places and things to see don’t seem special at all.

It can work, but let’s be honest. ANet did it wrong. Masteries is NOT the way to approach it.

So, how would it be done right?

Let’s look at the Glider for an example. After the first story mission in VB, you should have found one of the few Tengu that works with the Pact (explain him as an assistant to the Tengu smith that Trahearne recruited.) He could explain that Tengu know how to make personal gliders, and that he’d been showing his friends on the airship how they worked, which happened to save some of them. He’s made a few more, but with scavenged parts so they’re not the best. He gives you one, and off you go.

Later in the story, you recover some better parts, and come back to see him. He upgrades your glider to use updrafts. Repeat that for the other upgrades, maybe combining a couple of them so there’s fewer trips back.

Jumping Mushrooms? The first Itzel you save teaches you how to use them. Reading Exalted? The egg teaches you while it’s giving you those other abilities. And so on.

That’s how it should work. In a Metroidvania game, you reach the room or defeat the boss, and you get the new ability. There is no grind to it, just a “can you do this?” check. Can you find the chamber with the bombs? Can you find the power-up to give you mist form? Jump is upgraded to high-jump, which is upgraded to space jump, which is upgraded to screw attack. Find the ability to turn into a bat, then upgrade it to spit fireballs, upgrade that to have sonar, and finally upgrade to damaging sonar. The ability is never gained by “Run around in the Marble Gallery/Crateria and kill everything that moves until you hear a ‘ding!’”.

The problem for ANet is that without these abilities being locked behind Masteries, it becomes very clear that what’s left is a kind of faction grind, and that became old back in my EverQuest days.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

I dont know why you even need mastery points.
Why not get the skill when you get the experiance needed.

^ This. The xp grind is tedious enough.

Palador.2170

I dont know why you even need mastery points.
Why not get the skill when you get the experiance needed.

^ This. The xp grind is tedious enough.

Agreed on both parts.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I prefer the way skill points and skills were done as compared to Mastery points and XP.

With skills, you get enough skill points to buy them by leveling or by doing Hero challenges. Not by doing arbitrary content that may be bugged or require good ping/reflexes/enough people on the map/timers. What I would have preferred is the same system as skill points. You get some Mastery points from leveling and the rest you get from communing at “Mastery Challenges.” The mini games and the other things that now give Mastery points then give AP, which is a more appropriate reward imo. If they want to gate the Mastery levels more then increase the amount of XP required, not by gating them by doing adventures or content.

This would also be my preference. Apparently, ANet could not resist the idea of tying progression to playing specific things to try to get more people to do more of “everything.” I wish they’d cut that crap out. Placing rewards in specific content is fine with me, I just dislike that progression is one of them.

The Mastery system is almost the opposite of leveling progression, where anything and everything feeds progression. Anything and everything still feeds the bar, but the bar does nothing useless you also do the specifics. It feels kind of like revenge of the developer. “We designed a game where we thought you’d play for fun. You won’t play stuff without rewards? We can do that. Now, how do we make them play our stuff?”

Khisanth.2948

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Well, I just refer to here.

There does seem like a lot of mastery points tied to story and other boring stuff, but fortunately I have autoloot and most fractal mastery so I can just forget about the rest.

It seems like a fast way to get some would be to get some of the racial story ones….

Doing the same chapter on a different race will not give additional points.

Posted by: Phoenix.6917

Phoenix.6917

I like mastery points.

There are 17 more tyria mastery points than required to max them all. So there are plenty of options
For HoT there are 22 more mastery points than required. Good luck.

Yes, but the plenty of options in Tyria are all around completeing things that are not part of my “love to play gw2” experience.

-EVERY item in a Living story section (which I find impossible no matter how hard I try, and by try I mean grind through repeating the story trying to achieve all 17 items)
-fractals (which I do not enjoy doing very often), this includes achievements in fractals and hoping you finally get trophy (i.e., spoon) to complete a collection.

That’s it. I’ve looked at the full list. I’ve gotten every other one. I just want more options.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Do most people NEED to finish masteries? If you’re not going for a legendary, you can’t skip a lot of masteries. If you don’t do fractals or raids there’s a few more you wont need. Some HOT masteries have little benefit and can be ignored.

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

I wish they would just get rid of mastery points altogether. I’m pretty much stuck on progressing because of these stupid things, and it’s not like the XP grind isn’t bad enough but it’s doable.

Palador.2170

Do most people NEED to finish masteries? If you’re not going for a legendary, you can’t skip a lot of masteries. If you don’t do fractals or raids there’s a few more you wont need. Some HOT masteries have little benefit and can be ignored.

Ah, but that’s content they don’t do. Is that really how ANet wants this to work? People ignoring content A because it’s locked behind content B? The less content we do, the sooner we’re done and wanting more. And content unplayed or barely played is wasted development time.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

The surplus isn’t enough to the point where you have a variety of options how to acquire them, dependent on your personal playstyle and interests.

And their existence as a type of “duel leveling system” is just another arbitrary way to stretch the little content there is in HoT.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

Other content I would like to do but is too difficult nobody wants to do it: the Triple Trouble world boss event. You get 1 mastery point for each of the 3 wurm heads you defeat (it would probably take you 3 completions to get them all). Another mastery point for decapitating the great jungle wurm and then defeating each of the 3 heads in 1 play of the event. The problem: I only ever tried this event twice, and recently. Both times there weren’t enough players at a single wurm head to defeat any of them (I also have no idea how to decapitate the wurm). I tried a different wurm head each time. There seemed to always be at least 4 champion level enemies around the wurms at all times. Basically this is an event that requires a ton of players and nobody seems to want to do it.

The first wurm after reset on NA is hosted by a group of regulars. I’ve been going the past 3 nights and last night we had a kill. All wurms are explained by the commanders without TS3/Vent and we have a great time. The spawns after that are hosted by EVOS/TTS who will advertise taxis in LFG (45-30 mins before the timer), just as the post reset team does. The only downside to TT is the wait to get set up and it’s best to get in the map early to make sure there’s a spot for you. In an unorganised map, it’s going to fail as I found out in the past myself. Being an EU on NA servers, TTS/EVOS run too late for me so the post reset team is perfect timing for me. I got my cobalt decap last night (and 2 MPs), and will be running with the post reset team for fun after I’ve got my achievements and MPs. If you can make it on for that run, I highly recommend it

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

I think the system is worse for new players. Next up are veteran players who didn’t do certain achievements before HoT because they have no interest in them, for instance jumping puzzles or replaying personal story parts several times to get the achievements. Anet have this habit of putting various rewards in game modes or repetition that people on the whole don’t like or even hate doing.

To me this is the wrong way of doing things . Instead of trying to get people to play content they don’t like for rewards they want, they should improve that content to make it more fun, or in the case of mastery points have enough in the core fun parts to max it out. Their attitude seems to be, we made this other content and if you want cool stuff then you have to play it whether you like it or not. I personally think that is one of the things that holds GW2 back.

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

I think there are a lot that feel this way. I do. What bugs me the most is tying mastery points to these mini games I would never choose to play.

THIS. Gating collections and mastery points behind solo only mini games is absolutely punishing. The Adventures have nothing to do with advancing the lore of Guild Wars, They are one of the few pieces of content that is not playable in some kind of group. Completely contrary to the basic structure and playstyle of the game.

What were they thinking???? We bought this expecting a MMO not a collection of lightweight console games.

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Now, how do we make them play our stuff?"

This exactly…sums up the source of the problem right there.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Why in the world would Anet do a system that can’t be done easily from the achievement menu (which, is the worst thing I’ve seen ever and has many bugged steps in many achievements, we all know some of them…).

If there is a necessity for a guide, this is it, but there doesn’t seem to be a single one out there for mastery – and I am stuck needing three.

What a horrid mess.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

I hate the current mastery system as well but let’s be honest here, we all know Anet won’t do anything about it.

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

I am stuck at 149, can’t get the last ones because I suck at doing/completing adventures mainly due to high ping and my inability.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Tyria points are garbage; about half the points are story related and some involve multiple playthroughs. And the rest; about 10 of them don’t revolve around completely banal and/or boring gameplay— the exploration achievements which offer a whopping 2 points total (1 more if you did world compleition), and the boss ones for 8 more. It really just feels like they slapped the points on randomly.

Maguuma masteries have a much better balance that involve you playing for a full variety of content, and doing challenging things like taking advantage of mechanics to reach strongboxes and insights. I thought that was nice, though the adventures part is annoying.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

I’ve unlocked all the Mastery Points in Maguuma, except for those tied to collections (I think) and those godawful Adventures. Now I’m stuck. Almost completed “training” on one line and don’t have enough Mag Mastery Points. Sigh

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I don’t mind the masteries or the experience.

Could there be more masteries available for a wider variety of playstyles ? Sure and i’d be perfectly fine with it even being that i have max masteries.

Khisanth.2948

replaying personal story parts several times to get the achievements.

That will NOT give additional points. Personal Story gives 1 point per chapter completion the first time that chapter was completed on any character. The achievement panel is just misleading for those.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

The only thing I disagree with is being unable to continue gaining mastery XP until you unlock the mastery. Why can’t I fill it up and then start filling up the next bar? You wouldn’t get access to the actual mastery skill until you unlock it with MPs, but you should at least be able to start filling up the next bar in the mastery line.

This. Maybe it makes too much sense.

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Yeah, I have to endure things I don’t like to get the last few Tyria mastery points. It sucks, and made me resentful.

Posted by: sparc.3649

sparc.3649

Is it just me or is the mastery system terrible design? Whatever happened to the old philosophy of “play the way you want to play”? Now in order to increase that stupid little number beside your name or make use of gaining experience you have to do tedious little tasks that you normally wouldn’t do by way of achievements.

The stupid Tyria masterys were one of the main reasons i stopped playing,
beside the absolute lack of new armor sets.

And yes .. its mostly the design change that its now “play what WE tell you to play”

Yep, they sure did take their statement about “wanting you to be able to jump in the game and have fun” (“by doing whatever you WANT to do”), and THEY FLUSHED IT DOWN THE TOILET.

NOW, NO, we don’t want you to do whatever you want – we want you to log in and play these STUPID mini games to progress your mastery points/ranks >.<

ANET, kitten liars!!!

/—————————————\
© sparc.3649 ~ LPC ~ Anvil Rock
\—————————————/

sparc.3649

Just ignore Malediktus, he is one of that 27/7 AP farming guys with over 30k ap.

Sure that HE loves getting mastery points.

But im pretty sure that most other people hate it.
MP´s are definitly the most disappoiting feature of HoT, and probably the main (or only) reason when i leave the game.

Making achievments a “must have” is nogo.
Achievments have to be a option for people who like them, not more.

I want any other ways to get MP, gold, auric dust, leyline sparks, fractal relics, magneticshards or anything else.

I would even buy them in the gemstore for real money, everything is better then farming achievments.

This ^. I would literally be willing to do almost anything else to get these mastery points…other than doing the content they are tied to….story achievements and adventures.

Me too, too bad ANET apparently lied when they said they want us to be able to get in the game and play how WE wanna play. Nope, sorry, you get in and do what THEY want you to do. That’s how it is now!

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

sparc.3649

I think there are a lot that feel this way. I do. What bugs me the most is tying mastery points to these mini games I would never choose to play.

THIS. Gating collections and mastery points behind solo only mini games is absolutely punishing. The Adventures have nothing to do with advancing the lore of Guild Wars, They are one of the few pieces of content that is not playable in some kind of group. Completely contrary to the basic structure and playstyle of the game.

What were they thinking???? We bought this expecting a MMO not a collection of lightweight console games.

Yep, we can thank ANET for this!

“hey buddy, come help me with this dungeon”
“hey buddy, come help me with this fractal”
“hey buddy, come help me with this X Y Z (WHATEVER)”

VERY common, this IS a MULTIPLAYER game right? We enjoy doing things WITH others, right? I know I do…

Too bad ANET has decided for us that we cannot have people HELP us with these STUPID kitten mini games .

Good Going ANET, you’ve sealed the deal that unless you change something about all this BS, I will not be sending another red cent your way!

You’ve really taken your initial (during GW2 launch back in’12) “statement” and FLUSHED IT DOWN THE TOILET. Now it’s what YOU want us to do, not what WE want to do. Then on top of all this, you have us doing SINGLE PLAYER kitten!? Seriously!? This is an MMO last time I checked!!!

Get your act together anet!

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

Omg why the complain? Mastery points are just fine and very cool to get.

There are lots of guides in the youtube which they are really easy to get. And once you get them you can level it using XP boost doing Dragon Stand runs, which every 5 runs you level 2.

This kitten took me about a week to get MP 140.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Uhm so i am one of those people that dont care much about mastery stuff.. but somehow you HAVE to get that annoying stuff to even complete a map.. ?

What i really dont get is why do people need to do jumping puzzle boring stuff? there is a max mastery points issnt it? and you get mastery points just by doing those annoying maps. what am i missing?

sparc.3649

Not to mention, NOW anet wants to decide WHEN you can do it too. Just try going to any of the “adventures” (stupid mini games), at the “wrong time” and it will tell you that you cannot do it…

Good Going ANET

Good Going… Now you’re going to dictate EXACTLY, HOW and WHEN I’ll do WHAT. WAY TO GO (back on your word). So I’ll tell you what, I’m going to dictate exactly how I’ll never transfer another red cent to your bottom line unless you change this kitten!

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

(edited by sparc.3649)

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

One of the nice things I am really enjoying about Mastery Points is how I can just wander around maps and explore and stumble on them. It’s always a nice surprise when I randomly get them/find them around. Makes exploring feel more rewarding.

Posted by: redcomyn.4651

redcomyn.4651

Many of the mastery points require going through jumping puzzles. I hate jumping puzzles, also not very good at them. Some of the points I can’t get to no matter how many times I try. The same with hero points. A couple of HP’s in Verdant Brink are suppose to be soloable, but I can’t get to them, even though I saw others succeed. I fail every single time. I really, really hate jumping puzzles.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

I think the mastery system is fine, but I’d like to see some “Red Mastery Point” locations added to the map to discover, like the “Green Mastery Points” are in HoT.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Is it just me or is the mastery system terrible design? Whatever happened to the old philosophy of “play the way you want to play”? Now in order to increase that stupid little number beside your name or make use of gaining experience you have to do tedious little tasks that you normally wouldn’t do by way of achievements. For me, i hate doing jumping puzzles, they frustrate me and i’m plain not good at them, but Anet deems fit to force me to do these annoying little things to progress. If i don’t want to, then tough, i’m stuck with a little gray exp bar that wont move until i do.

I like where they are going with making experience useful (To an extent) but it was just so poorly implemented. Instead, why not give those points for every achievement and make excess points turn into something useful, spirit shards perhaps? Or even make it so you gain one just for filling the exp bar?

As it stands i have no reason to gain exp anymore and no desire to pursue those annoying little achievements

Please Devs, Fix this! This one little system has diminished my will to play almost completely. I’m sure i’m not alone in this either.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest..

I’m actually pretty good at jumping puzzles etc. Have completed and helped many people with them. But at the same time I just can’t stand them anymore.

Trying to do jumping / vertical puzzles in this game on alts is giving me nausea and has caused me to basically abandon half my toons. I will just never complete the elements necessary for HPs on them and they are just no longer worth playing without elite specs.

I liked this game for its combat system and for WvW, I already have a job where I rack my brains out solving engineering puzzles all day long 5-6 days a week and when I log on to be entertained, I am certainly not looking for more puzzles.

So overall I can’t stand these puzzle and adventure “features” and it is one of the main factors aside from WVW issues which has led me to basically stop logging on. Went from playing casually 5 days a week + long weekend sessions, to only casual weekend sessions, some weekends none at all.

Add to that my primary game mode being WVW and when I get out to Tyria, I have a whooping 33 mastery points since the expansion launched ….

One of the things that could have allieviated this situation is if at least some of the masteries were awarded retroactively, especially the ones from map completions, since by default it is not just grinding, but re-grinding of hated stuff I had to force myself to do in the first place and just won’t do it anymore.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Noa.7490

Noa.7490

Even if the majority here don’t exactly like the Mastery points, let’s be honest; it’s not like ANet will take notice, realize their error and do something about it.

sparc.3649

Even if the majority here don’t exactly like the Mastery points, let’s be honest; it’s not like ANet will take notice, realize their error and do something about it.

They will when they get hit where ANY company will notice…, Their bottom line (IE: DO NOT give them any [more of] your money!!!)

Ultimately that is all ANY company cares about, gaming companies included, is their bottom line. They couldn’t care less if we’re actually “happy” with their product – as long as we’re giving them money; they’ll continue to do whatever they see brings in that money.

At this point I have lost track of how many people I have successfully gotten to purchase this game AND expansion. My household alone has SEVEN accounts (whole family games: wife, kids, and me); and even though they may not play any more (some of them) I have had approximately THIRTY (“real life”) friends buy this game too. I’ve even gotten “random people” (in my guild) to purchase HOT as well.

But guess what ANET – until you stop ignoring this issue, I will NO LONGER be recommending GW2, HOT, or ANY of your stinkin’ products!!!

At this stage “in the game” I wouldn’t even make a recommendation to my worst enemy! Now that’s saying a lot! Get the picture here anet! Before it’s too late!

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I feel like we should have kicked up a bigger fuss about them, like the hero point requirement for elite specs, and gotten them nerfed to be more accessible.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I feel like we should have kicked up a bigger fuss about them, like the hero point requirement for elite specs, and gotten them nerfed to be more accessible.

For me, any problems with mastery points didn’t show up till later.

1) people who have done particular content, like me, have lots of Tyrian mastery points. If you were a predominantly WvW player, you might well be scrambling for both hero points and Tyrian mastery points both and not playing WvW if you’re trying to get, for example, JP or map completion mastery points or going back to do old story lines.
2) putting the mastery points behind glitchy, time gated content wasn’t an obvious problem until you tried to do it. Have high ping and want to do an adventure? Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe you would like to do an adventure now, but it’s not available and you don’t know when it will be until you research it (bad design).

Neither of these were an obvious problem beforehand, at least not to me.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Many of the mastery points require going through jumping puzzles. I hate jumping puzzles, also not very good at them. Some of the points I can’t get to no matter how many times I try. The same with hero points. A couple of HP’s in Verdant Brink are suppose to be soloable, but I can’t get to them, even though I saw others succeed. I fail every single time. I really, really hate jumping puzzles.

I’m the opposite. I love jumping puzzles and I actually wish there were far more mastery points available and set within jumping puzzles. Those of us who like them would be able to do more jps and ignore the rest. Those who hate jps could ignore jps and do the other points. Win-win for all. But I suppose the argument would be that some would do both jps and everything else and accrue way too many points. :/

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Actually, the general theme of this thread may be similar to the one below and possibly be a candidate for merging.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Not-Enough-Tyria-Mastery-Points-Sources/first#post6015536

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I agree with you op…… I wish the developers would have stayed with the original gw2 system. Experience was enough to develop your character. Sure there were skill points back at the first but you didn’t have to do them. You could just continue to level past 80 and earn skill points.
The new player experience started the play as you want decline by attatching traits to specific events. The hero point system cemented the decline of play as you want as leveling beyond 80 only gave you currency.
Now with HoT we have mastery points. I guess the developers have certain pet content that they want us to play. No more play your way… Nope… You have to play the way the Anet staff wants you to play or your character doesn’t develop any further.

Mastery system could have been awesome if experience only was enough to achieve the masteries. I don’t need the devs picking and choosing the content for me.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

Agreed!

Although I like achieving things and I actually got out of my comfort zone a bit to get some of the mastery points, the ones I have left now to get are mostly unobtainable for me. They would require me to go into (shudder) dungeons or fractals and I am not interested in either. I’d rather eat a box of hair.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

One of the nice things I am really enjoying about Mastery Points is how I can just wander around maps and explore and stumble on them. It’s always a nice surprise when I randomly get them/find them around. Makes exploring feel more rewarding.

Yeah .. wander around Tyria and suddenly find ALL Ambrite Weapons is always nice.

Oh … wait ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

sparc.3649

Not to mention what just happened to me: So I wanted to do “shooting gallery” right, so I head on over – oh, it’s kittening locked. Okay so I go to do the event to unlock it – guess what, it’s just me. Takes FOREVER to do. Finally at some point a FEW people (like 3 others) join me – LUCKILY because ofc these events aren’t all soloable (to unlock s/g). By the time we get it unlocked we have JUST enough time for one MAYBE two tries before – guess kittening what – NIGHT TIME.

kitten you anet

kitten you

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

sparc.3649

Actually, the general theme of this thread may be similar to the one below and possibly be a candidate for merging.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Not-Enough-Tyria-Mastery-Points-Sources/first#post6015536

Actually, at least my own posts, have been about ALL of the game, NOT just Tyria.

This whole entire “mastery system” sucks the big one!

Heck I’d even be okay with it if ALL 163 points were sprawled out all over the world. I don’t want to have to do these stupid kittening SOLO mini games, and I don’t want to HAVE to get them from story OR ACHIEVEMENT HUNTING either…

I’d be A-O-K with the system if all points were just insights and strongboxes sprawled out all over…

/—————————————\
\—————————————/

Posted by: gethane.1234

gethane.1234

I want to thank you for posting this. I went to the first TT after reset, looked in LFG for a taxi to “organized TT” or something like that, and it was very well organized, explained exactly what to do (we did amber) and we were successful. Two mastery points. Yay! Now I just need cobalt head.

The first wurm after reset on NA is hosted by a group of regulars. I’ve been going the past 3 nights and last night we had a kill. All wurms are explained by the commanders without TS3/Vent and we have a great time. The spawns after that are hosted by EVOS/TTS who will advertise taxis in LFG (45-30 mins before the timer), just as the post reset team does. The only downside to TT is the wait to get set up and it’s best to get in the map early to make sure there’s a spot for you. In an unorganised map, it’s going to fail as I found out in the past myself. Being an EU on NA servers, TTS/EVOS run too late for me so the post reset team is perfect timing for me. I got my cobalt decap last night (and 2 MPs), and will be running with the post reset team for fun after I’ve got my achievements and MPs. If you can make it on for that run, I highly recommend it

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I want to thank you for posting this. I went to the first TT after reset, looked in LFG for a taxi to “organized TT” or something like that, and it was very well organized, explained exactly what to do (we did amber) and we were successful. Two mastery points. Yay! Now I just need cobalt head.

You’re more than welcome! I got all my TT achieves and titles with this group a couple of weeks ago, still love going along for the fun and to help others out. The commanders who host do an amazing job and I’m glad I stumbled across this group as well as paying it forward to others who don’t know about them

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Khisanth.2948

For me, any problems with mastery points didn’t show up till later.

1) people who have done particular content, like me, have lots of Tyrian mastery points. If you were a predominantly WvW player, you might well be scrambling for both hero points and Tyrian mastery points both and not playing WvW if you’re trying to get, for example, JP or map completion mastery points or going back to do old story lines.
2) *putting the mastery points behind glitchy, time gated content wasn’t an obvious problem until you tried to do it. Have high ping and want to do an adventure? Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe you would like to do an adventure now, but it’s not available and you don’t know when it will be until you research it (bad design). *

Neither of these were an obvious problem beforehand, at least not to me.

Actually that should have been an obvious problem for the devs at least considering it is a repeat of the problem with trait unlocks.