in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

forum bug -_-

Mastery points, ugh [Merged]

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

One of the nice things I am really enjoying about Mastery Points is how I can just wander around maps and explore and stumble on them. It’s always a nice surprise when I randomly get them/find them around. Makes exploring feel more rewarding.

Yeah .. wander around Tyria and suddenly find ALL Ambrite Weapons is always nice.

Oh … wait ..

I never at all implied you could get every single mastery point from wandering around and exploring. I was specifically saying it is really nice there are so many around which can be gotten that way. So your comment is a bit dumb.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Even if the majority here don’t exactly like the Mastery points, let’s be honest; it’s not like ANet will take notice, realize their error and do something about it.

I feel like we should have kicked up a bigger fuss about them, like the hero point requirement for elite specs, and gotten them nerfed to be more accessible.

For me, any problems with mastery points didn’t show up till later.

1) people who have done particular content, like me, have lots of Tyrian mastery points. If you were a predominantly WvW player, you might well be scrambling for both hero points and Tyrian mastery points both and not playing WvW if you’re trying to get, for example, JP or map completion mastery points or going back to do old story lines.
2) putting the mastery points behind glitchy, time gated content wasn’t an obvious problem until you tried to do it. Have high ping and want to do an adventure? Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe you would like to do an adventure now, but it’s not available and you don’t know when it will be until you research it (bad design).

Neither of these were an obvious problem beforehand, at least not to me.

Actually that should have been an obvious problem for the devs at least considering it is a repeat of the problem with trait unlocks.

Well, yeah. You would think that wouldn’t you. I have no idea why the Devs don’t anticipate problems that should be obvious to them, seeing as it’s their job and they’ve encountered complaints about similar situations.

Putting account/character progression behind specific content turned out to be bad for traits and by extension they should have seen that it could be a problem for Masteries also.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Akrasia.5469

Akrasia.5469

I wish I had something to spend my excess Tyrian mastery points on.

The extra is for 2 reasons.

1. So players can play the way they want and get the points they choose instead of having to get them all. I wish there were even more points so I could just focus on the parts of the game I really like but now I have to do things like jumping puzzles which were never a favorite part of the game for me.
  2. I’m sure the extra will be used for future content so getting extra now saves hard working players time later. Look at how having all the hero points unlocked helped you to unlock your elites faster. Probably the same thing will happen with mastery points next time some major content comes out.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Even if the majority here don’t exactly like the Mastery points, let’s be honest; it’s not like ANet will take notice, realize their error and do something about it.

I feel like we should have kicked up a bigger fuss about them, like the hero point requirement for elite specs, and gotten them nerfed to be more accessible.

For me, any problems with mastery points didn’t show up till later.

1) people who have done particular content, like me, have lots of Tyrian mastery points. If you were a predominantly WvW player, you might well be scrambling for both hero points and Tyrian mastery points both and not playing WvW if you’re trying to get, for example, JP or map completion mastery points or going back to do old story lines.
2) putting the mastery points behind glitchy, time gated content wasn’t an obvious problem until you tried to do it. Have high ping and want to do an adventure? Maybe, maybe not. Or maybe you would like to do an adventure now, but it’s not available and you don’t know when it will be until you research it (bad design).

Neither of these were an obvious problem beforehand, at least not to me.

Actually that should have been an obvious problem for the devs at least considering it is a repeat of the problem with trait unlocks.

Well, yeah. You would think that wouldn’t you. I have no idea why the Devs don’t anticipate problems that should be obvious to them, seeing as it’s their job and they’ve encountered complaints about similar situations.

Putting account/character progression behind specific content turned out to be bad for traits and by extension they should have seen that it could be a problem for Masteries also.

As I recall the biggest problem/complaint about traits wasn’t doing the content. It was about having to do it on every alt. Most people didn’t have a problem doing it once. That and bugged events it was gated behind, which doesn’t seem to happen here.

Because you only unlock accounts once, it’s a completely different situation and not all the complaints that were levied against the trait system even apply to masteries.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

As I recall the biggest problem/complaint about traits wasn’t doing the content. It was about having to do it on every alt. Most people didn’t have a problem doing it once. That and bugged events it was gated behind, which doesn’t seem to happen here.

There were plenty of other complaints.

Content levels not matching up with the level of the traits they rewarded was another big one, and plenty of people didn’t like how just playing naturally, levelling and going through the story, didn’t bring you anywhere near the places you needed to be to unlock traits.

It was quite terrible for more reasons I care to remember.

Vayne.8563

Content levels not matching up with the level of the traits they rewarded was another big one, and plenty of people didn’t like how just playing naturally, levelling and going through the story, didn’t bring you anywhere near the places you needed to be to unlock traits.

You’ve just supported my point. Masteries are all level 80, so the content you need to play will always be level appropriate. Again another complaint that has nothing to do with the mastery system.

And you know there are complaints about everything but the main complaints are pretty much the ones I listed and maybe the one about not level appropriate, none of which applies to the mastery system.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Well, I have no problem with the mastery system. Some of the masteries themselves are uninspired, bordering on the pointless, or obvious speed bumps, but acquiring the points works just fine as far as I’m concerned. People should realize that the answer to many of their complaints are in the name of the system: “Mastery”.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

People should realize that the answer to many of their complaints are in the name of the system: “Mastery”.

Except that a lot of the points are locked behind things that have nothing to do with what you’re attempting to “master”. I mean, I sure don’t see the connection between burning vines with a flamethrower or shooting targets with a bow and arrows and learning to mine a rare mineral.

Honestly, I think the Mastery System would be much improved if they just got rid of the Mastery Points entirely. You’d still need to earn EXP to fill the bars, but you’d not be running into walls of content you dislike or can’t do.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You’ve just supported my point. Masteries are all level 80, so the content you need to play will always be level appropriate. Again another complaint that has nothing to do with the mastery system.

And you know there are complaints about everything but the main complaints are pretty much the ones I listed and maybe the one about not level appropriate, none of which applies to the mastery system.

Mastery points are different than Mastery XP. The XP is only gated by region. The points, like trait unlocks, are gated behind specific content. Arguably, point unlocks are worse because a significant number of them are lengthy, expensive to get or tied to mini-games that have little to nothing to do with with GW2 lore, story or normal gameplay. The only things in point unlocks’ favor is that the unlocks are not tied to specific Masteries and there is a very small surplus.

Were the surplus greater, thus affording more choice, I’d have less of an issue with the point unlock system. Perhaps this will change over time, perhaps not.

The anti Trait 1.5 thread was long enough that perhaps you don’t remember all of the issues brought up. I remember complaints about tying unlocks to specific content. Some of them were from WvW-centric players. Yes, character-based was a specific complaint, but that ANet took only that from that ponderous thread is — I find — amazing.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

People should realize that the answer to many of their complaints are in the name of the system: “Mastery”.

Honestly, I think the Mastery System would be much improved if they just got rid of the Mastery Points entirely. You’d still need to earn EXP to fill the bars, but you’d not be running into walls of content you dislike or can’t do.

Yeah, that way we can all just find the place that grants the most xp and farm it. Then we can all come here and complain about how grindy the game is and that all the maps are empty.

/end sarcasm

The only negative thing I can say about the mastery system personally is I would have liked there to be enough points where the adventures are totally optional (meaning you could get enough points without touching a single adventure). Some people are really bad at those adventure mini games… Tyria I can’t complain about; been playing over two years and already had more than enough points at HoT launch.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, I have no problem with the mastery system. Some of the masteries themselves are uninspired, bordering on the pointless, or obvious speed bumps, but acquiring the points works just fine as far as I’m concerned. People should realize that the answer to many of their complaints are in the name of the system: “Mastery”.

Perhaps, but for about 1/4 of Central Tyria points, “mastery” seems to be about having to sit through tons of boring dialogue and gameplay that is too trivial for anyone with some experience with the game.

At the same time, 100% map completion for Central Tyria which would reflect mastery of the land far more than anything else yields only one point. The exact same for tagging the Karka Queen.

Compare this to HoT, which compacts a lot more mastery points into a smaller time window with the story, and while there’s some mastery points that are gated which is terrible, at least the grand majority of them do not require much more than updraft and bouncing mushrooms. Outside of adventures, it really is all on you, except DS which is sorta lame for those reasons.

I don’t really think it’s necessarily about difficulty.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Yeah, that way we can all just find the place that grants the most xp and farm it. Then we can all come here and complain about how grindy the game is and that all the maps are empty.

/end sarcasm

People already do that, even while Mastery Points are in the system.

And to be clear, any place that offers a major advantage on Mastery EXP should be looked at and brought into line for risk/time/reward. I think that’s true with or without the Mastery System. When there’s an obvious “best way” to gain any reward it creates farms and a push towards grinding.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

“that way we can all just find the place that grants the most xp and farm it”

Well at least it would be the players choice to do it. As it stands mastery points force you into certain content. With experience only, the player would get to choose the content they enjoy. I don’t like this growing trend of the devs to mandate certain content. Heck, they even admitted to nerfing dungeon rewards so that players might seek other content.

Posted by: LionChain.7694

LionChain.7694

You know, it’s funny…I once made a post a while ago talking about this exact type of thing, and I ended up with like a dozen responses from people basically telling me to suck it up and just do the mini games and do the content that I don’t like doing, and people saying things like, ‘oh what, you want mastery points to just be thrown around like candy’ or ‘just do the minigames, it’s not like theyre hard anyway, all of them are super easy’…. T.T …..anyway, yeah, for me, I hate the minigames in HoT and I’m not really interested enough in the Living Story achievements (the entertainment quality of it nor the rewards) to repeat all those episodes a bunch of different times just to get ONE mastery point for completing each Act in the HoT story. I like the OP’s suggestion of giving a mastery point per achieve (maybe a couple extra ones for the harder achieves), so that way, each player can max out their masteries by going for achieves/playing content that they actually enjoy and are good at. Because let’s face it, not everybody is great at everything in this game.

I actually had an idea for gaining mastery points that was inspired by how you can get hero points by doing WvW. What if when you complete the Magus Falls reward track in PvP, the last chest you get at the end gives you the option to receive a central tyrian or HoT mastery point? And yes, the reward track would still be repeatable.

Vayne.8563

Mastery points are different than Mastery XP. The XP is only gated by region. The points, like trait unlocks, are gated behind specific content. Arguably, point unlocks are worse because a significant number of them are lengthy, expensive to get or tied to mini-games that have little to nothing to do with with GW2 lore, story or normal gameplay. The only things in point unlocks’ favor is that the unlocks are not tied to specific Masteries and there is a very small surplus.

Were the surplus greater, thus affording more choice, I’d have less of an issue with the point unlock system. Perhaps this will change over time, perhaps not.

The anti Trait 1.5 thread was long enough that perhaps you don’t remember all of the issues brought up. I remember complaints about tying unlocks to specific content. Some of them were from WvW-centric players. Yes, character-based was a specific complaint, but that ANet took only that from that ponderous thread is — I find — amazing.

I remember most of the issues brought up, but issues brought up is not the same thing at all as issues that people felt strongly about. or issues that are strongly supported by the community. I dare say mounts are brought up all the time. Probably more people bring up mounts that lesser complaints about the skill system.

I don’t like many of the adventures and in Australia, can NOT get gold on them. I’ve said in several threads I didn’t think mastery points should be in adventures. That said, I’ve gotten 161 mastery points spent (I didn’t do the raid ones), and out of those masteries, I did very very few of the adventures, for the most part only the easy ones.

I agree there could be more options. I disagree that the options that are there are so long and tedious that they can’t be done particularly if they were meant as a long term goal, which apparently they were. Is there such a huge downside to not having the top tiers of Nuhoch or any of the 12 point ones really?

I don’t think so. This isn’t like a trait where it’s necessary to play the game, and it isn’t like a trait in that you don’t need to do it on every character. It’s a account wide progression meant to be long term that people can slowly work towards.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I actually like the way they handle the Tyrian mastery points. I have no opinion on HoT, because I’m not there yet.

But in Tyria – You have three mastery paths:
Fractal Attunement – For those who like running fractals. There are Mastery points for running fractals. Don’t like running fractals? WHY THE HECK ARE YOU PURSUING THIS MASTERY TREE!?

Pact Commander – You’re commander of the Pact. There are enough mastery points attained to max this out by being the pact commander – Personal story, living story, and taking out the Open World’s big threats to the pact. Don’t want to be the Pact Commander? You don’t deserve to master being Pact Commander.

And then there’s Legendary Crafting – Also known as “Doing every piece of random kitten the developers decided to throw into the game”. If you find earning the Random Stuff Mastery Points tedious, yet expect to craft a precursor or legendary… you’re gonna be in for a very, very bad time.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t mind mastery points. I only have a hundred of them, maybe it’ll get more painful as I progress further, but they’re good.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: SkyFrog.9742

SkyFrog.9742

So now i have to grind those maps with SADISTIC Level of design just to be able to progress with main story? WTF? This is NOT what we asked for

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, it’s a real pain.

Also, avoid using the Royal ‘we’ on this forum. Some people like it to be clear when it’s just like, your opinion, man.

Posted by: SkyFrog.9742

SkyFrog.9742

Yeah, it’s a real pain.

Also, avoid using the Royal ‘we’ on this forum. Some people like it to be clear when it’s just like, your opinion, man.

You cant really enjoy this can you? What are you? A robot? You enjoy inflicting pain on yourself? You enjoy grinding? Have you got no life?

Vayne.8563

Yep, I enjoyed it. Because like the original game, the story isn’t something you’re meant to do and fly through. In the original game you had to level. You had to do events in the open world to get to the next story. This isn’t that different.

I mean you need a handful of mastery points to do the story, not all the masteries anyway. And there are tons of XP buffs you can take that all stack. Guild XP buff, fireworks, food, utiltiies, celebration booster, birthday booster and a good old fashion XP buff.

This long grind people are talking about, some of us call playing the game.

Dashingsteel.3410

Actually it is very different from the original game. Yes, you have to do events and map clearing to get to the next story in the original game, but you get to choose which events to do. In HoT because of mastery points, you don’t just level as usual but have to do specific often tedious tasks to get the points. I don’t know why experience wasn’t enough to satisfy the mastery bar demands. The mastery points are a real turnoff and an inhibitor to player freedom.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Actually it is very different from the original game. Yes, you have to do events and map clearing to get to the next story in the original game, but you get to choose which events to do. In HoT because of mastery points, you don’t just level as usual but have to do specific often tedious tasks to get the points. I don’t know why experience wasn’t enough to satisfy the mastery bar demands. The mastery points are a real turnoff and an inhibitor to player freedom.

OP was referring to the story and mastery you need for that. Getting points for just that isn’t an issue.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I despise it. Masteries in Tyria are QoL. Masteries in HoT are required.

That was the mistake.

Vayne.8563

Not for just doing the story though. There are plenty enough points that are just communes, or lock boxes to get the story done, not to mention some VERY easy ones you can get from adventures.

For the story you only need gliding, updraft use, bouncing mushrooms and exalted lore, which is I think five points.

You get one point for just finishing the first story so you need four more. There are two communes right in the first zone. So those communes will get you through the first stories, each of which gives you a mastery point.

Getting later mastery points, I absolutely agree that they are harder to get. They’re also account bound and you only have to do them once, or it would be intolerable. However for a single time and done progression system, I find it acceptable.

There are obviously areas where it could be improved though.

Dashingsteel.3410

Another difference with HoT and original game is gathering experience. As in the original game, events are usually the best way to get big chunks of experience. However, in HoT you are going to need there to be a populated map to help you complete those events. Without enough players on the map, you resort to killing mobs which aren’t that great for exp. In the original game, many of the events can be done solo, so it is easier to get exp.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

You cant really enjoy this can you? What are you? A robot? You enjoy inflicting pain on yourself? You enjoy grinding? Have you got no life?

Yes, speaking for myself, I’m having a great time I’ve really been enjoying HoT, and as for the game as a whole, I don’t think I’ve ever had to do any real grind… of course I haven’t really gone down the legendaries/ascended crafting route, so I can’t speak for that, but then again I’ve never found any need for those things for any aspect of the gameplay.

Thankfully not grinding for things is no hindrance to any of the gameplay in GW2. I’m not sure what you think you need to do that is grindy.

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

Why don’t we just get a (neutral) mastery point whenever we would level up on a level 80 character and then spend it where ever we like (HoT or Tyria)?
I personally wouldn’t even mind, if masteries would then be character and not account bound.

Obviously this would give a lot more freedom to the players and put pressure on the devs to add more meaningful masteries to spend the exceed mastery points on.

Seeing that a good deal of the current masteries is basically a Reputation Grind (like in WoW) it’s pretty clear where the problem is. Lack of content due to lack of ideas fixed by introducing systems that force players into content they normally wouldn’t do in order to squeeze out as much play time as possible.

(edited by xlion.3065)

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I don’t think the design is bad, but I do think too many are required to max anything and most of them are locked behind painfully tedious and/or time-gated tasks.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I already earned 166 mastery points. It was quite fun.

What I didn’t need to do:
- majority of hard/medium difficulty adventures on gold medal
- any raid boss except for VG and Gorseval
- any hard farming achievements like Luminate Backplate
- any HoT story meta achievement (I didn’t reopen HoT story after doing it once)

What I had to do:
- play the meta event chains on all maps
- check achievement panel and learn what jobs I have to do during those meta
- explore the maps, learn to navigate them
- Complete DS couple of times, doing every possible event during the progression, going back to some hero points after the meta completion
- TD> exploration points + participation on meta chain events
- AB> the same
- VB> the same

Overall experience:
It was fun. Thank you ArenaNet, this was a good idea and this point acquisition helped me with learning to navigate the maps, understanding the meta chain, and overally having fun. I still am only 134 mastery level, so it will take some time to spend those points, but my journey for them is over. Now I can, if I feel like it, try out gold medal adventures or HoT story achievements, so I have even more things to do.

edit: I already had enough of central Tyria points at the launch of HoT. I believe doing Season 2, personal story on all races, Bioluminescence, and fractal achievements over the 3 years of playing got me majority of them. Central Tyria points were never supposed to be easily maxed out, but rather a reward for veteran players. And it is not like they are overly important to max out.

(edited by Mortifer.2946)

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Idk what you’re talking about.. I got 161 mastery in 11 hours according to anet (spoiler this isnt true, they dont have blocks in place to stop you from accidentally applying HoT to an account that has it so I made a mistake) but I’mma go with I’m master pve overlord.

Attachments:

Posted by: Cambios.7451

Cambios.7451

This is more a problem right now for Tyria than HoT, but it is frustrating in either one.

There are too few ways to earn Mastery Points and they are forcing me to do types of content that I do not enjoy.

For example: I hate jumping puzzles in MMOs with a passion. Controls simply aren’t responsive enough and the combination of latency and character model/environment inaccuracies makes it brutally not fun. I suffer enough just getting all my vistas, but I sure as heck am not going to spend hours upon hours to do a ton of pure jumping puzzles.

Right now my XP bars are maxed for all 3 tracks in Central Tyria, and I only have 3 mastery points. I really want to train 4/5 Pact Commander, but need 2 more points.

I spent ~18 gold on tier 1 cultural armors because the achievement said I only had to unlock 18 skins. As soon as I unlock the 18 skins, it changes to 36 skins! WTF? That’s confusing as hell. The same thing happened when gathering badges in Silverwastes. Why the tease and the false goal?

I tried doing story missions, but I got through level 70 story already on one character (that I stopped playing), so now on my 2 active characters I won’t get any mastery points until I pass the level 70 story missions. So I have to do 10-70 story missions for no mastery points.

Figuring out what is actually going to give me a mastery point can be confusing or frustrating. But worst of all, I can’t just earn them doing the fun things I want to do.

I would love to see them have an additional XP bar option you could switch to that was simply “Fill this bar and get +1 mastery point.” Then you always had something fun to earn with XP and you could earn it however you wanted. Then after getting some points you could switch back to actually progressing a mastery track.

QUESTION: Is the easiest way to get some Tyria mastery points to just buy the Living World Season 2 pack and blast through those story missions?

Are they long/slow or are they relatively quick and easy solo?

Thanks,

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are only 2 Jumping Puzzles that award a Mastery Point.

To find what content awards Mastery Points, just open your Hero Panel, and click on the tabs with red stars for Core Tyria MPs.

You can also consult the Wiki (via the link above) and search: Mastery Point unlocks.

I found the LS S2 episodes relatively easy, but YMMV.

Good luck.

Posted by: Aer.3970

Aer.3970

I love jumping puzzles. I also have a mesmer.

Look in the achievements tab in your Hero panel, and see what jumping puzzles have a red MP next to them, then hit me up in game and I’ll get you to them.

If there are no red MPs next to jumping puzzles, still whisper me and I’ll see if I can help you.

Posted by: Cambios.7451

Cambios.7451

There are only 2 Jumping Puzzles that award a Mastery Point.

I think I saw at least 3, but that was kinda just an example of content I have zero interest in that holds some pretty important (and scarce/limited) mastery points.

To find what content awards Mastery Points, just open your Hero Panel, and click on the tabs with red stars for Core Tyria MPs.

I am starting to figure it out, but man it is confusing at first.

The way it will say things like “Soulbind 18 cultural armor pieces” and have a mastery point listed, but then you unlock 18 and it changes to “oh sorry, we mean 36!” and I now understand it will ultimately require even more than that.

I see now that there are internal tiers to these achievements, but wow that is not super clear at first and it really baits you into chasing something that ends up being tons harder than it seems.

You can also consult the Wiki (via the link above) and search: Mastery Point unlocks.

I consulted the wiki a lot, but even that can give mixed messages.

For example, story quests. The Hero page says “Storming the Castle” gives a mastery point. I just completed it on my Ranger and got nothing.

I assume the reason I got nothing is because I did the same level range story quest already for norn, and it probably only gives you the point once. But that is yet another thing that is not made clear on the wiki or in the hero panel.

Not to mention, dang that stinks.

I found the LS S2 episodes relatively easy, but YMMV.

Good luck.

Thanks.

I might go ahead and buy LS S2 if that’s an easy way to get a pile of mastery points.

Posted by: KuroiArt.7349

KuroiArt.7349

Mastery Points are gained through achivements – (getting to a point / achive something).

There have come new problems with the system I personally highly dislike:

1) No reward for playing – You used to get level ups and gain more skill points. Not as if it mattered as a value however I loved that I gained something for killing useless mobs in PvE.

Now We get no anything for doing so. You can get mastery points only through achivements. What If I’m not keen on buying a set of cultural armors for over 100g and I don’t want to grind/waste time on SilverWASTES just to find and kill all legendary bosses? – What if I’m not into farming achivements ‘cause that’s just NOT fun?

Suggestion: Give us please a low ratio of exp or whatever to get mastery points by playing the game.

2) Even if the achivements are the only way to get M.P. there’s hardly enough options to choose from. You got 4 mastery points more for both HoT and Tyria that are over the limit – meaning you can do other achivements instead of the ones you don’t like.

Even with the 4 M.Points dodged due to sick costs/time consume in the achivements You can’t get to max without doing sickly-time-consuming achivements.
Please remmember – THIS IS A GAME – it’s made to be fun.

Suggestion: If not #1 option then please give us more options to get mastery points so you can get all skills without having to grind achivements

3) Adventures (fun? mini-games to max out mastery points) – srsly please.. If you want to make hardcore mini-games for leaderboard give people some reward for that! I don’t want to waste my time trying to freakin get that gold 50 times to finally get another mastery points. That’s so frustrating & AND NOT FUN!

Suggestion: Not all players are hardcore – REWARD Hardcore players for the hardcoreness they do! YES! – Give casual players options to max all basic stuff like Mastery System by playing and having fun! – Please IT IS A GAME not your life..

I have spent over 1,100 hours into this game. I play to have fun & relax!
Now I got to ~110 mastery points I don’t want to farm/grind all the achivements.
I can’t get all the mastery points in Tyria unless I spend a lot of gold & time..
With all maxxed characters all I get to do are fractals/raids (raids – that have no real LFG system implemented..)

Dashingsteel.3410

Op, you have my sympathies….. Mastery points as you stated do indeed force players into content they don’t enjoy. I don’t know why filling the mastery bar with experience isn’t enough to get the mastery. Mastery points really take away the “play your way” concept that gw2 started with.

Good luck with the points. I chose not to pursue them since it involved content I really don’t like so I will be stuck on 30 mastery rank forever.

KuroiArt.7349

KuroiArt.7349

Op, you have my sympathies….. Mastery points as you stated do indeed force players into content they don’t enjoy. I don’t know why filling the mastery bar with experience isn’t enough to get the mastery. Mastery points really take away the “play your way” concept that gw2 started with.

Good luck with the points. I chose not to pursue them since it involved content I really don’t like so I will be stuck on 30 mastery rank forever.

I couldn’t agree more. GW2 is a game not Life – it’s made to be fun – Anet guess forgot that we are players and we don’t live in the game as they do..

Posted by: Attis.8367

Attis.8367

From another such thread:

Easy points:
8 personal story
8 completing LS 2 story (not the achievements)
2 Tequalt
1 Karka Queen
1 LA exterminator
1 Dry Top skritt queen
1 for first character reaching lvl 80

That’s 22 points without doing fractals, dungeons, JPs, LS achievements, difficult bosses or rare spawns. And that’s easily enough to max out Pact Commander (19 needed).

As for Fractal Attunement, it pays for itself in terms on MP’s…11 needed, 14 available. Most of the time I get these by accident, asking the group if we could work towards it, or creating a LFG stating it was a MP run. But if you don’t do fractals, this line is useless to you and you can ignore it.

Legendary crafting is a funny one… to craft a precursor, you will need to do lots of different content (Fractals, JPs, specific champs/events, specific achievements, mini dungeons, max level crafting) If you think getting the MPs required to max this mastery out is too much, precursor crafting is more of the same but arguably much harder and definitely more expensive. As someone who has crafted Dusk, I can guarantee the MP requirement is only a mild obstacle in the grand scheme of precursor crafting. If this crafting process doesn’t appeal to you, you can ignore this mastery line too.

TLDR:
Core Tyria masteries ARE tuned to your gameplay preferences:
Pact Commander for everyone: enough easy MPs
Fractal Attunement for the fractal runners: enough MPs in fractals
Legendary Crafting: crafting process requires you to do lots of different and sometimes annoying/difficult content, thus reflected in the remaining MPs coming from all sorts of content (some of which are annoying/difficult)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Of course people will always chime in that there are a whole 4 points more in central tyria than you need. Of course, that does not address that most likely you will have to grind content you do not like to get the number of points to max things as 4 points is not a lot of wiggle room.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Of course people will always chime in that there are a whole 4 points more in central tyria than you need. Of course, that does not address that most likely you will have to grind content you do not like to get the number of points to max things as 4 points is not a lot of wiggle room.

Your counts a little off. I have all of the core masteries finished and there are still 17 uncollected mastery points

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

Was having this exact conversation yesterday. WvW & sPvP ranks should give mastery points.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I would have to check the numbers. Some that are listed are not available (IE, if you do a PS with two different races you get less points than you will think you should).

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

I can’t get all the mastery points in Tyria unless I spend a lot of gold & time..

I have all mastery points in Tyria and I haven’t spent a lot of gold & time.

There are more Mastery Points than you need to max. out Mastery Tracks.

There are 66 Central Tyria mastery points available of which you need 49.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Of course people will always chime in that there are a whole 4 points more in central tyria than you need.

4 ???

There are 66 Central Tyria mastery points available of which you need 49.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

suggestion – get mastery points by playing the game

Yep, agreed.

I have spent over 1,100 hours into this game. I play to have fun & relax!

Yet you don’t sound relaxed. You might be playing it wrong.

Now I got to ~110 mastery points I don’t want to farm/grind all the achivements.

So erm.. .don’t then? Do something else?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

There are 139 total mastery points available in the expansion. You need 117 (112 if you don’t raid) to max out the masteries. That leaves 22 (27) free. There are 30 mastery points in the adventures. Therefore, I will have to do adventures to max out masteries.

It sucks as I am no good at adventures. It took a full day to get three completions of the Wintersday JP and I imagine I will have to devote a full day to get each adventure (doable ones, anyway) to gold. I’m going to have to do adventures despite this.

Suggestion to the OP: Put the work in and get them done.

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

My biggest issue with mastery points is them being locked behind silver and gold Adventure rewards. If that would be “scaled down” to bronze and silver, you would get enough points to train the vast majority of mastery tracks by “playing the game”, leaving gold rewards for those keen on leader boards.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)