Max Level 100 confirmed?

Max Level 100 confirmed?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Q:

I have heard from several people telling the max level will be increased to 100.
I also noticed by now that there is a level 98 test sword in game to test levels from 81-100.

I would find it quite useful to have more trait points. Also seeing more level differences in later added areas of the world would make it seem less like “Okay now almost all of the whole rest of the map is all 80”.

Has it been confirmed already that level 100 will be max level?

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

(edited by GreenNekoHaunt.8527)

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There have never been any confirmation about a possible level cap increase at all, though it have been hinted at.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

the thing is, if they did increase the cap then they would need to find away around the Laurel Dilemma as well as the current exotics, we know legendary would scale up but what about these other things? if they do not then they have well and truly gone against everything they said to begin with in GW2 and will probably loose or be on thin ice with a lot of fans.

increase it right and it will be fine, increase it wrong and well….all hell will break out, at least on the forums and probably in the press, also what about all the current content, dungeons etc they don’t scale properly now with the ease of runs and such so will they increase the scaling? i know they have talked and have a system in place slowly rolling out (as far as i could tell, grenth is using it atm)

i would rather stay at 80 but have some other advancement if need be at all.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

the thing is, if they did increase the cap then they would need to find away around the Laurel Dilemma as well as the current exotics, we know legendary would scale up but what about these other things? if they do not then they have well and truly gone against everything they said to begin with in GW2 and will probably loose or be on thin ice with a lot of fans.

increase it right and it will be fine, increase it wrong and well….all hell will break out, at least on the forums and probably in the press, also what about all the current content, dungeons etc they don’t scale properly now with the ease of runs and such so will they increase the scaling? i know they have talked and have a system in place slowly rolling out (as far as i could tell, grenth is using it atm)

i would rather stay at 80 but have some other advancement if need be at all.

I see no problem with current exotics with the exception of mystic items crafted with the mystic forge, the crafting levels that won’t fit the resources found in higher sections and the ascended items.

There’s actually no problem with dungeons. You’re leveled down to the dungeons level and there probably will be more dungeons coming then that scale from 80 to 100.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Rissou.7213

Rissou.7213

To be honest makes no sense with your comment:

“Also seeing more level difference in later added parts of the world would make it seem less like “Okay now the whole rest is all 80”.”

If level gets upped to 100, everyone will be level 100

Thief.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

To be honest makes no sense with your comment:

“Also seeing more level difference in later added parts of the world would make it seem less like “Okay now the whole rest is all 80”.”

If level gets upped to 100, everyone will be level 100

Your max level will be 100 but in all lower areas you’re leveled down to the effective level of the area of the world you’re in. If you could level up to 100 there wouldn’t be like 50 new level 80 areas but instead more areas from 80-90 85-95 90-100 and 100.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Urgh… I hope they don’t up the cap. If I have to replace my lvl 80 ascended gear I will blow my top.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Urgh… I hope they don’t up the cap. If I have to replace my lvl 80 ascended gear I will blow my top.

As I said. The ascended gear is one of the things where I would see a problem. While you have to say that the current way to get the ascended gear won’t stay. It will be easier or at least less expensive to get. They just added this way so you could at least get ascended gear and to make a time gap to work on other things during this. It’s the same with legendaries. They’re all time consuming to keep people busy and to give people a goal after finishing story and world map.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

If the cap gets increased to 100, I’m 99% sure that I’ll quit the game… I’m just not gonna put that much effort to be competitive again on all my characters… I’ve put in too much time into gearing to start all over… no way… I think ANet would make a massive mistake if they increased the level cap…

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Every patch, the level cap is increased, the salvage rate of ectos is nerfed, Mystic Clovers are rarer, and JBoots are 1% slower.</sarcasm>

Every time I have seen the devs answer questions about raising the level cap, the response is of the form “We’re not saying we won’t do it, but we don’t plan on it.”

When you consider the amount of work that is currently being done to balance traits and classes, distribute gear, etc… the chances of a change that is this fundamentally disruptive is really, really low.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Max Level 100 confirmed?

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

“We’re not saying we won’t do it, but we don’t plan on it.”

Funny how the devs say they do not plan on it yet:
- test weapons from 81-100.
- make obvious places to for level 90 and level 100 vendors for pvp.

Might be coincidence..
Well thanks for your responds. I guess this question won’t be answered till the time has come… We should all mentally ready ourselves not to rage and be surprised.

Honestly though… I’m still gathering my level 80 exo armor and ascended gear. It would be a kitten shame to lose those ascended items but… I wouldn’t mind a level increase much. In fact I would find it quite sweet to push myself to search and gather and collect the said items again. I would also enjoy an increase in crafting levels for new armor, weapons, sigills, runes, meals, potions and more.

“The variety of a game increases the player range and amount as well as fun of the game.”

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Funny how the devs say they do not plan on it yet:
- test weapons from 81-100.
- make obvious places to for level 90 and level 100 vendors for pvp.

Test weapons are just that, test weapons. There are quite a few thing that are/have been in the .dat-file that does not appear in the game itself.

PvP ranks does not have to be the same number as levels.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

If the cap gets increased to 100, I’m 99% sure that I’ll quit the game… I’m just not gonna put that much effort to be competitive again on all my characters… I’ve put in too much time into gearing to start all over… no way… I think ANet would make a massive mistake if they increased the level cap…

Can i have your gold in advance?

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

It would make sense that the 80s legendaries would be different than level 100 legendaries because there will obviously be newer and harder to get mats.

I’m not sure if most of you guys only played GW1 and never played a mmorpg before but you have to realize that stuff goes obsolete in mmorpgs.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If you’ve played around with the builds of many classes, you’ll notice that the trees are perfectly tuned for level 80. You cant really get everything you want to, you always have too few trait points. I do not see the point to disturb this. Since the only thing level 100 could possibly mean is more trait points…

I’d rather they spend their time on the actual content than satisfy the needs of the ones that feel 100 is a better number than 80 for no other reason than the fact its a bigger number.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

I think lvl 100 will be for expansions when we’ll have the full map with lvl +80-100 areas.
Of course if you’re level 100 you will be downscaled when you go to the current maps.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

A level cap will be the final sign I need that they have fully abandoned the GW1 playerbase. Three campaigns, and an expansion, and the level cap never went above 20. Leveling in this game already feels like needless padding, which I’ve expressed before, but this is the sort of nonsense for why I picked GW1 over games like WoW.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I truly do not like the idea of raising the level cap. As others have said, it would be in blatant disregard for a large majority of the GW1 fanbase.

Kegmaster

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Serelisk.6573

It would make sense that the 80s legendaries would be different than level 100 legendaries because there will obviously be newer and harder to get mats.

I’m not sure if most of you guys only played GW1 and never played a mmorpg before but you have to realize that stuff goes obsolete in mmorpgs.

Why? Please explain to me carefully why we need to realize that… because all that sounds like to me is a terribly designed game.

Kegmaster

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I heard it’s only lv 100 mounts, not lv 100 players…confirm/deny?

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I believe a vast group would just up and leave if this ever happens, so i guess its up to Anet, but i think a level cap raise would be really bad for the game, especially with its limited end game and very little build variations..

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Level cap increase is a TERRIBLE idea. I really hope anet is intelligent enough not to do it.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

I wouldn’t care for a real level cap increase but more allocatable trait points would be pretty sweet.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

Personally, I hope they never increase the level cap. All that does is make current content outdated and not as viable anymore. I’ve seen that problem happen in every game I have played that increases level caps. Sure, there is the side kick system, but really how many of us would go back to Orr to farm/for the events if there were 20 levels between it and the highest level content? It will still be dropping materials for the lower tier. And, with a new cap means you will need to re-do all of your armor as well. They used to have a “no grind” policy, and new gear would certainly be a huge grind. GW doesn’t need more levels imo, although I totally understand I have little say in what the devs think is best.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I just can’t see the need to raise the max level.

First of all, they need to make new map, new dungeon, new armor/weapons, even new craft.

Second, why raise the level for no reason? Everything is downscaled anyway. tbh, I think lvl80 is already too many.

You could say more trait. But with the current trait, I already think there’s a balancing problem waiting to be solved. Until they fix it, I really beg them not to raise the level/trait.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Using the principles of Guild Wars 1, the sooner the cap, the better.

@ “Okay now almost all of the whole rest of the map is all 80.”

If that is your reason, then I would assume that after they increase to 100, someone else like you would come in and suggest 120. Then after more expansion, 140, and another 160, then Unlimited Edition!

The whole point of max leveling is so you dont have to feel “Oh, I am too under level to run in that big area with my guildies because I go to work 9-5 every day and my guildies play like 24/7.” Me being level 80 now, I don’t really have to feel behind incomparison to all my guildmates, I hope you understand what I am saying. In other words, just let me enjoy the new “expanded” contents and area without having to spend 2 weeks to reach level 100 before doing so. In GW1, get to level 20, and about 80 or 90% of the other areas are level 20 areas. No need to worry about leveling now, just find stronger weapons and capping skills (oh how I miss you Signet of Cap)

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

One more thing, the more traits you provide, the more OP Elementalist gets. Balancing would be HELLLLLLL

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

Lvl cap will be increased ,probably with DLC . Are you serious ? Game must evolve , they will add better gear etc. People right now are complaining about end-game and you don`t want to improve it . You don`t want new gear because you got exotic set and you don`t want to waste time getting new gear , please don`t make me laugh .

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

Out of all the ways of vertical progression, increasing the level cap is the least problematic one, because unless the game doesn’t give you enough xp and forces you to repeat content, you can progress naturally and max out simply by experiencing content.

However, level cap raises are not without problem either. Sitting through an one hour movie is much less taxing than watching a trilogy back to back.

As long as available trait points aren’t increased, level cap increases wouldn’t have been a gamebreaker for me, but I had preferred not to have them at all.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

They will… I just know they will.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Sorry but increasing the level cap to 100 would be the worst change I ever saw in this game so far. I have 5 level 80s with maxed gear and I couldn’t be bothered leveling them all to 100. For me, from level 30 on the pve zones get stale. You have unlocked all skill abilities, have control most of the interesting class mechanisms, and all the zones you pass are actually the same as the zone before, with the exception that they look different. But then you still need to get 50 levels (actually already endgame).
It only gets exciting again from the moment you reach 80 and get to play WvW and dungeons on a full scale.

I have passed those 50 boring levels 5 times already. If they made me redo 20 levels on each character + farm for better gear, I would probably quit the game. There are a lot of nice other games out there, so hey, Guild Wars 2 was fun, but no thanks.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

One more thing, the more traits you provide, the more OP Elementalist gets. Balancing would be HELLLLLLL

Wait, the class that gets nerfed every time there’s a content patch?

Opposed to the class that does 4 minute CoF runs and still receives buffs every single patch?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I’m not putting my hand up for either side of this debate, just playing a bit of Devil’s Advocate.

It seems like some people think that exotic items are only available at level 80. They’re not. Just because most people never use them doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Having to get level 100 exotics as an upgrade to your level 80s (I think most people have found themselves wearing stupid things at level 80… like a lvl 30 helm or a lvl 40 ring), would be no more, or less, annoying than it is to equip at level 80 is now. And anyone that thinks it’s a chore to do that has never played other MMOs where it can, very literally, take you months to even have a chance of getting specific level cap gear.

I don’t remember what game it was, but I can remember somehting that had a good system for some items. Instead of having to throw them away when you find something better, specific items leveled with you and increased power as you leveled up. This would be the ideal solution for Legendaries and Ascended items – say a 2% increase to every stat (since the stats are all there twice on Ascended items) with every level.

As much as I would love more Trait points, I highly doubt that that will happen. I think a far more likely possibility is that an entirely new Trait line is added for each class to increase possible build diversity without an increase in Trait points. Another possibility is that a new Trait line is added with an additional 10 points to spend, which would give us access to more points without being too over-powered. What I think would be most likely, however, is that we get “Ascended Traits”. 10-20 points to spend anywhere in four Ascended Trait lines (each maxing out at 20 points) that are unlocked at level 80.

As far as the actual leveling process goes, there’s no point in complaining about that at all. There are very few games where it is as quick and easy to level up as it is in GW2. I also have the suspicion that the people who complain about how “long” it takes to get to 80 are the same that complain that there is nothing to do once they get there.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Serelisk.6573

Lvl cap will be increased ,probably with DLC . Are you serious ? Game must evolve , they will add better gear etc. People right now are complaining about end-game and you don`t want to improve it . You don`t want new gear because you got exotic set and you don`t want to waste time getting new gear , please don`t make me laugh .

The game can evolve without just increasing numbers… they can add new maps, new monsters, new stories, new lore, more armor, more weapons, more achievements more fun, and never have to increase the level cap.

The only things that objectively come out of raising the level cap is that there’s a bigger barrier to entry for some content, i.e. gated content. By raising the gear ceiling, you’re effectively making the efforts of players who worked however hard they did to get the first one totally obsolete. Why would anyone want the above just because of an arbitrary change of numbers…?

Kegmaster

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

We don’t need vertical progression. We need horizontal progression. the company that made gw1 understood this. Sadly, I don’t think many of them are left.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

I’m confirming it here.

Some guy on a forum, confirming this.

Also, mounts, playable dragons, dual-wielding longbows.

Behold: Opinions!

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

For Gods sake, no increase on the level cap. But after ascended gear were added, nothing could really surprise me anymore. If the devs think that adding treadmill will get GW2 more WoW (and WoW clones) players, they will do it.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I’m confirming it here.

Some guy on a forum, confirming this.

Also, mounts, playable dragons, dual-wielding longbows.

Level 100 mounts only but player level cap at 80 still so you can only look at mounts not ride them. I swear some guy told it to me and he said he has an uncle who works for Nintendo who’s got a good friend at a.net who told him.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

new cap = new expensive armors.

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

If the level cap goes up I will not buy the expansion. Maybe I will continue playing the lvl 80 content, but probably not for long.

GW2 doesn’t need a level cap increase at all, it already takes long enough to get a twink to lvl 80 and exotic gear, no need to make this situation even worse.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Many people have played MMO’s that they know going into the game, they will have to upgrade gear each and every time the game gets an expansion or level cap increase. They ‘know’ when they start playing, this is the key to the issue.
GW2 was not marketed as that type of game. Most people have taken their meager earnings and put it all towards ascended & exotics to gear up multiple characters. They are not doing this with the thought in mind that all this will change when the next level cap increase occurs.
If it was clearly stated that the level cap will increase, then I would wager that most people would gear differently than they do now.

I don’t think Anet is in a hurry to increase the level cap. They are still working on balance, tool tip accuracy, & bug fixes. An increase would be a nightmare to balance if it was implemented any time soon.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Rumors, nothing but rumors

RIP in peace Robert

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Just because a thing has been done in the past does not make it a good idea in the future. I’ve only seen a couple MMOs raise their level caps without creating huge problems, and in both cases those were games where the higher level had been planned for from the beginning, and they essentially shipped uncompleted and then added the higher level content as a free patch. Like if this game had shipped with only 60 levels, but the developers let everyone know the 61-80 content was already in advanced testing and there was nothing like Legendaries or Ascended Gear squatting at level 60 to fool people into thinking that was the progression plateau.

A level cap raising expansion would hemorrhage players. This has always been the case in other MMOs that I’ve witnessed. However, many of them drew back old players or brand new ones with those expansions in sufficient numbers to call it an overall success, and we can’t be sure that wouldn’t happen here.

Basically, it would be a bad idea if their goal is to keep my business, but the potential new business they could gain may make them decide I (and others like me) am an acceptable loss.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

A level cap increase will probably happen eventually. I hope no time soon though. This game is still quite alive and dynamic at 80. A level cap increase will not provide anything positive at this time.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

IIRC originally Anet said there would be no max level, then changed their minds w/ a lukewarm we’ll revisit this in the future.

Also, if they do raise the cap and you rage quit can I have your stuffs? (I think I’m in first)

Zet

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

Even if it happened, I’d imagine it would come at the same time as Trait line revamps and expansions so your wish is not going to be granted, OP!

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

i wish to be 100 beter number then 80 anytime and i love gear progres to bad gw 2 dosent have it

Max Level 100 confirmed?

Serelisk.6573

IIRC originally Anet said there would be no max level, then changed their minds w/ a lukewarm we’ll revisit this in the future.

Also, if they do raise the cap and you rage quit can I have your stuffs? (I think I’m in first)

Zet

It was also talking about a clear plateau of power when they mentioned that. Raising the actual power cap with each expansion is much different, and much worse of an idea.

Kegmaster