[Merged] Your opinions of the LFG tool

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheReturning.8251

TheReturning.8251

Today i started my one looking for group to kill teqautl thing in the open world section. There also was a group of 4 players looking for random stuff to do in i don’t know what map anymore. But because i was 1 and they where with 4 the lfg system merged or partys to make 1. This is really annoying because i was looking for something else then they where. So please remove this automatic merging.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

I actually can’t believe the flak the OP is getting.

If he asked for an option where his party was only for under-80s to teach them the dungeon he would be hailed as a saint, but because he wants to play with likeminded individuals and clear a dungeon quickly he is berated for it. You guys …

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

I like the merging but there should be some way to block people from doing it if they keep abusing it. Also it would be nice to see which dungeons have the daily chest left and which ones you have never done (and maybe also show other players that same info).

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

oh wow 13 months wasn’t enough to do that

It’s the constant struggle between forces of good and evil. It’s never too late to join the fight.

lol okay

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

FYI I have guild full of how you say it? Mindless? I just tried New LFG system how its work and write here a bit feedback.
What I write is maybe elitist and I get it many ppl are against it because they are simply casual. But after year of playing I have enought teaching basic strategies in dungeons every run. And trust me with bad non geared player can be usualy 10 mins long path take over a hour.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Seems like all the OPs problems would be solved by joining a guild of like minded individuals.

In the interests of objectivity, the same could be said for those who don’t want to / can’t adhere to some strict level / gear / build requirement.

However, the only people I can see the OP’s suggestion hurting is the new players who use it and haven’t found a guild yet for whatever reason.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Plague.3174

Plague.3174

It’s not their fault if people don’t read what you are looking for and they just wanna join.

I got a lvl 12 who joined for fractals lvl 30 yesterday but it’s not arena net’s fault. It could happen the same with the gw2lfg. People join, ping gear they have in their bags and then equip the mf gear.

It’s up to players to use it properly and you cannot blame anet for that.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Guild has nothing to do with it.. you can still run guild and place an LFG whether your new old, casual or hardcore… whilst also acting as way of reducing all that endless map spam LFG messages – all ANET need to do now is eliminate all the desperado guild recruiting spam as well
I have absolutely no issues with players placing all their elitist requirements into their LFG, its their party they want to get running so its up to them.. makes it easier for players like me avoid such groups tbh.
The LFG is aimed at serving all kinds.. if you want to be elitist but are too lazy to specify your requirements then that’s your fault, likewise if your not reading the LFG specifics for a group and you join blindly then expect to be kicked.

No matter what the LFG looks like or includes within it tooling their will always be those for it or against it.. show me an MMO forum that doesn’t blurt out the same for and against arguments.

Personally I think its all we need in game, will hopefully reduce the map spam and so far seems pretty efficient in filling groups quickly compared to the likes of another MMO that shall not be named

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

It sounds like you want to exclude the vast majority of the community. You can create a guild of like minded elitists and happily find a group within them. Leave the LFG tool for the masses who don’t need to rely on party compositions to carry them through content.

Guild Wars 2 was designed with no trinity as a central goal. Why on earth would they allow you to discriminate against classes with the lfg tool? That would be accommodating the mind set they designed their game to work against.

If you really have such elite requirements for your groups, form an elite guild of people who care about what you care about and leave the lfg tool for everyone else to enjoy. The lfg tool is supposed to help players get together, not give them another way to exclude people.

colesy.8490

“help players get together” by excluding those who want smooth runs?

You’re a joke, Shiren. At least be up front and just say “good, I don’t like elitists” rather than trying to add some moral justification to your view.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

what i need:

WVW: commander XY on EB

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Worthless ATM.

Only 1 or 2 post in some categories. People with it don’t even know it.

In other words: Impossible to give an opinion yet.

Not worthless imo its simply being rolled out in a controlled beta so its usage and coverage will be lighter to start with…. I have had no issues picking up players or picking up a group.
Only those who have access can join groups so its not going to be overly busy yet.. I myself only got access to it yesterday, so as more player gain access it will become more useful I am sure. Added to that I would imagine ANET are already assimilating comments and discussing any tweaks/improvements they might deem useful.
The only thing I think might be useful is instead of auto joining a party there should be an accept request option for the group leader in case the “need zerk warrior” LFG keeps getting hit with eles, necro’s etc as not everyone likes kicking players from groups / being kicked from group. The rest looks kinda fine to me, simple design not encumbersome to the eye and does what it says on the tin.

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

To be fair, Shiren’s suggestion is good. If you want to speed farm. A farming guild is more efficient than the lfg tool.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

You’re a joke, Shiren. At least be up front and just say “good, I don’t like elitists” rather than trying to add some moral justification to your view.

Your idea of “smooth runs” is abusive and insulting to the majority of GW2 community. Not really what this game is about.

Although I suspect that devs will eventually cave in and implement at least some of elitist-friendly features into LFG.

Posted by: Amria.2461

Amria.2461

I want give you a bit feedback from today dear devs:-)

I am glad you add LFG tool but it need much mure feature before majority of players starts prefer it before gw2lfg.com

I tried today make a speed run party, I was very specific what I looking for (level, gear, ect) a must kick about 20 people what are I dont know.. lets say were too casual to understand what I want in description. I also feel bad for that kicking because its wrong.

So here is list of features what may prevent this misunderstandings (lets say it will be some checklist what dont allow players without those specifications even see party offer in roster):
- Level restriction
- Class restriction
- Gear rarity and stat type restriction
- Let party creator see players gear and build (like in SPvP)

Also instead of creating party and waiting for players to join make something like list of currently avaible players. Player fit some quick description and wait till someone pick him from the list. Also some system to rate players by other players will be great it learn some people behave better.

I have the solution to all your problems: Lower your expectations.

I know, it’s radical and scary and you don’t want to, but it’s sometimes necessary to get things done. Dungeons in GW2 are so brainlessly simple that you don’t need things like gear checks and specific classes to do speed runs. Shocking I know.

QFT. Seriously, you can play whatever the hell you want, all the dungeons are a cakewalk if you know what to do.

If you’re only interested in playing with people who are:

1. At a certain level
  2. Playing a certain class
  3. Using a certain build
  4. Wearing of a certain rarity AND stat combination

Then maybe you ought to find yourself a guild with similar interests.

Hell, even just a couple friends who you know are good at the game, then you’re only playing roulette with a few pugs.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

“Play how you want” maxim works both way.

Let me guess. You want 4 warr + mes don’t you?
You know, you are the reason why we don’t have gear check.

That’s a bad composition. Are you still farming cof?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

So here is list of features what may prevent this misunderstandings (lets say it will be some checklist what dont allow players without those specifications even see party offer in roster):
- Level restriction
- Class restriction

yes for your first two, these seem reasonable and should also be rather easy to implement. It suits noone to have to kick/to be kicked because the party leader is looking for something specific. But a big no to the last 2, people are already way to concernced about other people´s way of playing. Imo, they should even remove the ability to link gear in chat. It only causes antagonism in the game.

colesy.8490

Your idea of “smooth runs” is abusive and insulting to the majority of GW2 community. Not really what this game is about.

Although I suspect that devs will eventually cave in and implement at least some of elitist-friendly features into LFG.

I literally do not care what class people bring as long as it’s not necro (no group utility, so basically a leech class), and they’re using the right gear and traits. I don’t see how that’s abusive or insulting, in fact it’s more open-minded than we were in the speed running community a few months ago where it was run war/guard/mes or get out.

If ANet allow players to actually accept/decline people trying to join via LFG and if n my wildest dreams they actually implement a gear check, that would be great. Even if gear check was just set to an option, that way people who don’t care won’t switch it on, and people who actually value efficiency and their own time will be able to keep bads out of their group.

AntiGw.9367

I literally do not care what class people bring as long as it’s not necro (no group utility, so basically a leech class), and they’re using the right gear and traits. I don’t see how that’s abusive or insulting, in fact it’s more open-minded than we were in the speed running community a few months ago where it was run war/guard/mes or get out.

If ANet allow players to actually accept/decline people trying to join via LFG and if n my wildest dreams they actually implement a gear check, that would be great. Even if gear check was just set to an option, that way people who don’t care won’t switch it on, and people who actually value efficiency and their own time will be able to keep bads out of their group.

The devs have said that the tool is designed to let you find a group “as fast as possible”, in the sense that by using it you accept the chance of literally anyone suitable joining your group. Suitable as far as in “recommended dungeon level” suitable, mostly.

Having extreme expectations like filtering “bads” does not help that goal. Instead it makes it more difficult to actually form groups and only prolongs the process. It’s not there to help you find the optimal speed-clearing group, it’s there to find you a group right now.

They are basically implying that certain individuals will have to use other means to find groups, the LFG tool is not designed to support that, both for social and technical (and probably also financial) reasons.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Since it was ‘unlocked’ for me I’ve been running my PUGs through the in-game LFG. Ran at least two paths of TA, CoF, CoE, SE and AC.

Here’s a couple things I noticed.

- Not nearly as many listings as gw2lfg.com, as I imagine many people still don’t have it available or haven’t bothered to check.

- Joining a party is nice and streamlined, but some people post LFGs without adequate details, or don’t bother checking the details of the group they try to join or merge with. This resulted in a bit of “zomg, this is p2 you guys!!!” raging/quitting. It does seem that the tool would benefit from some basic features such as a distinction between story and explorable mode, speedclearing vs no-skip, and setting a level requirement, Hopefully the final version includes these.

- There’s quite a few more dungeon newbies, ranging from simply inexperienced to just plain bad. Been grouping with a few uncommunicative players who don’t ask for help, or even say they’re leaving when it becomes too much for them. They just straight up quit. Say what you want about PUGs, but most of the gw2lfg.com community had at least some basic standards for behaviour when dungeoneering.

I think this’ll improve eventually, but the website will probably still be the go-to for the more experienced crowd for some time to come.

haviz.1340

Umm you know that I was describing OP ? .__. And I don’t want gearcheck.

You assumed he had wanted warriors only with one mes.

Posted by: EpicHedgehog.1754

EpicHedgehog.1754

- Class restriction

NO! I don’t want things like “you are not guardian/warrior, gtfo”

and than “WHAT??? YOU ARE NOT FULL ASCENDED? GTFO NOOB”

i agree only for the higher level of fractals, so someone can see how much AR do you have

Not good at english ^^

AntiGw.9367

- There’s quite a few more dungeon newbies

That’s to be expected.

One player I partied with in fractals said something like “I never tried fractals until now. Hate looking for group.”. This tool actually increases people’s interest in dungeons, which is great.

haviz.1340

Anet introduced that ascended tier for a reason. I cannot fathom it was simply without a reason.

Posted by: Laundry.5120

Laundry.5120

People like the OP (one only needs to check his sig) are exactly what GW1 wasn’t catered for, and how GW2 is exactly catered towards.

If I understand correctly, he wants a list of pre-determined cookie cutters to join with him to farm so they can farm better.

Lavanderie – 80 Mesmer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Electrique – 80 Engineer/Gaiscioch/Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

A level restriction would be great, even if implemented in a very limited way. The LFG tool is out for only a few days and I’m already getting sick of all the people with lvl 30 characters trying to get into AC explorable.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

I do not really do speedruns and probably would not fit into the OPs desired group, but I do not get why you guys are so offended.
He wants to play with such and such toons. That is not discrimination, its his own business who he plays with and none of ours. If he does not want to teach newbies or play with necros, that is his own problem and you can’t force him to do otherwise via the lfg. Neither should you.
Personally, I would not want to be in a party that (for whatever reason) has different expectations than those I can fulfil. Frustrating for both sides. I would rather join one that has expectations I can fill. That does not mean that said party is better or worse – just not compatible.
And the “find a guild with like minded individuals” is a bit irrational. Everyone can join a guild of like minded individuals and thus no lfg tool is needed. So devs could say exactly the same. “Why you need lfg, eh? Go find a guild and run dungeons with guildies”. But I think we all agree that we did need an lfg.
Having said this, no gear/build check pls. I think the best way would be to just allow the party members to accept or reject the new member, just like when someone clicks to join a party outside the lfg tool.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t see why anyone would be against this… we can either have it put in place, or you can have people getting kicked from 50 parties in a row because they don’t meet the requirements for the dungeons. If you don’t want to join his party then here is a novel idea… don’t hit join…

But for those of us who would rather have smooth simple runs and not have to go through the process of teaching people how to play the game every time we do a dungeon, something like this would be nice. I’m all for helping people, but I don’t want to teach people that there is a dodge button every time I want to do a dungeon.

Posted by: Primernova.5791

Primernova.5791

Speed-runs, are kitten for an MMORPG, just as bad as zergs. It’s ZERO fun.

Class elitism is kitten for an RPG, but that’s on the devs. No trinity.

GW2 can support a LFD system, but if everyone wants FOTM gear and CLASSES, you have destroyed that fragile system before it has even been implemented.

DPS being the only stackable stat? kitten OFF Anet!

GET a BrAiN!

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

There was only one reason I’d ask people to ping their gear when they joined my dungeon parties.

That was to see if they were magic find leechers.

That problem is now solved. I see no reason to know some one’s gear any more.

The reason being you cannot ask people to ping their skill level. You have to see it in action regardless of gear.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I found out today that if you change maps it will de-list your advertisement. I think a lot of players expect this not to happen.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I haven’t seen it yet. I would agree major events shouldn’t be the soul purpose of the LFG we should be able to post for general PVE

And I agree with party vote kicking it worked well in other games without it tho there’s this tendency for people to get rid of incoming players by class I’m sure.

As far as mouseover zone information?! I’ve been asking for that ever since other titles new titles have come out with it. The ability to look at the map and see the events happening over the entire zone would have been much better than looking at the map and seeing nothing!

We shouldn’t be relying on map chat to know which events are up I agree!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Rozbuska.5263

Let me guess. You want 4 warr + mes don’t you?
You know, you are the reason why we don’t have gear check.

No I am en Engineer. 4 Wars in speed run its like 4 months behind meta:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Rozbuska.5263

There was only one reason I’d ask people to ping their gear when they joined my dungeon parties.

The reason being you cannot ask people to ping their skill level. You have to see it in action regardless of gear.

Reason are speed clears. You cant do it if you have ppl in PTV gear no matter how skilled you are.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Azure Prower.8701

Reason are speed clears. You cant do it if you have ppl in PTV gear no matter how skilled you are.

And why would you want to speed clear? Rewards are nerfed in farming dungeons such as CoF p1.

Only exception I would think of is FotM. But PUGing that at high levels is not really an option.

If you want speedy gold per hour. Champ farms are the new thing.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Lol, the people who for whatever irrational reason dislike zerker speed clears have way more hate in them then the people doing the speed clears. I guess ‘play how you want’ doesn’t apply if you like to play quickly, eh? Such hypocrites.

Rozbuska.5263

Speed-runs, are kitten for an MMORPG, just as bad as zergs. It’s ZERO fun.

So you say staying in one path for hour instead 10 minutes is actualy fun? Well If you enjoy it its your choice:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Rozbuska.5263

And why would you want to speed clear? Rewards are nerfed in farming dungeons such as CoF p1.

Champs are boring and I dont need money really its more about perfection not rewards:-) If you want farm money just go speed clear SE P1 first 3 bosses over and over. Its about 40g per hour.

Its not about CoF1 you just play multiple dungeons once. CoF1,2, AC 1,2,3, CM 1,2,3, TA 1,2,3 HotW 1,3 SE 1,3 CoE 1,2,3 Arah 1,3. With speed clears you did it all in about 3 hours. Its actualy lots of money:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: SgtSarcasm.1653

SgtSarcasm.1653

I would just simply like to be able to click Yes/No when someone else tries to merge party with mine, rather than being forced to merge and having no say in it.

Khaine [80 Guardian] – Night of Wallachia [80 Warrior]
Minister of Fear [80 Necromancer] @Far Shiverpeaks EU

Azure Prower.8701

Champs are boring and I dont need money really its more about perfection not rewards:-) If you want farm money just go speed clear SE P1 first 3 bosses over and over. Its about 40g per hour.

Its not about CoF1 you just play multiple dungeons once. CoF1,2, AC 1,2,3, CM 1,2,3, TA 1,2,3 HotW 1,3 SE 1,3 CoE 1,2,3 Arah 1,3. With speed clears you did it all in about 3 hours. Its actualy lots of money:-)

What ever floats your boat.

I run zerker on most of my characters, but I don’t care what other people run as. Whilst you’re wasting your time here and in game trying to find perfect matches with your “speed runs”. I would be already in a dungeon and just having fun playing the game with others.

Rozbuska.5263

I run zerker on most of my characters, but I don’t care what other people run as. Whilst you’re wasting your time here and in game trying to find perfect matches with your “speed runs”. I would be already in a dungeon and just having fun playing the game with others.

I have guild for that I use that LFG tool out of curiosity:-) I just want give Anet some feedback how to improove LFG tool.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Azure Prower.8701

I have guild for that I use that LFG tool out of curiosity:-) I just want give Anet some feedback how to improove LFG tool.

Seems to be a non-issue when the solution is to have a guild. You just solved your own issue.

…wut?

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

I say yes to class restrictions. You will just end up kicking everyone that doesn’t meet your class requirements anyway. No need to waste anyone’s time.

No to level restrictions, as people will join on their alts and switch to their mains PLENTY of times – I do it all the time, play an alt until the party fills up etc. Ask them to bring a lvl 80, if they don’t – kick.

Absolute no to gear/build check. There is no one superior build and honestly and would make people check gear/builds that have no clue what they are talking about, read somewhere that THIS build is pro for Arah and kick everyone that doesn’t use that build…nonsense like that XD Absolute NO to gear/build check in general in this game. I already don’t like it in sPvP – lol where’s the challenge if you know exactly what your opponent is running?! O_o But that’s off topic now I guess.

haviz.1340

Seems like people who like to praise “play how you want” show more hatred than mean elitists.

Posted by: GekoHayate.2451

GekoHayate.2451

Only exception I would think of is FotM. But PUGing that at high levels is not really an option.

Because… if you only spend 6-10 minutes in a path instead of 30+ minutes you can use that time for other things…

For example, since cof gets tossed around so often… even with the nerfed dungeon rewards running 2 cof p1’s in 12-20 minutes total with an optimal group is more profitable than running 1 cof p1 in 30 with an non optimal group.

Its not hard to understand.

Are their more efficient ways of farming gold? Yes, but this is about TIME efficiency of a specific task.

Now I understand the purpose of the built-in LFG tool, its simply to form a quick party not necessarily an optimized party. Personally I would like to see a level filter, as I can see people kicking low-levels (actually seen it a few times in TA and AC). Regardless of whether you agree with the practice it happens and It wastes the time of everybody involved. I won’t care either way if it isn’t though, and if I want an 80 only party I can always go back to LFG sites or my guild, which is what I usually do anyways.

Another thing I would like to see is a check-able option with a filter system or a visible badge/icon in the LFG tool for the characters that have completed story mode and can unlock explorable.

Havroun of Karp – Disciples of Magikarp [Karp]

(edited by GekoHayate.2451)

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Although everyone can just play with who they want and although the lfg tool honestly does need a bit added to it to help the filtering cause right now it’s extremely simplistic I think the idea of adding stuff like a gear check to it is ridiculous.

Gear doesn’t make a good player, the stats from rare, to exotic, to ascended change little and barely impact someone’s performance. Especially in PvE where most things are pretty easy.

I’ve seen many legendary wielders run around like headless chickens not having a clue about what they were doing, while I saw new players doing a dungeon for the first time being able to take orders amazingly well.

If you just exclude new players totally they’ll never get the chance to improve, after all we all had our first times. Everyone has to learn.

Yesterday on the lfg tool I got one or two players to do fractals level 10 who had never done fractals before, it took me literally a minute of explaining to them what to do in major parts and everything went extremely well.

In fact much better than how it goes when I’m with some more expert players.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Today, we did a level 10 fractal with a level 33 mesmer guildie that went in there for the first time. He didn’t go down any more often than the rest of the group.

Earlier this week, I did an AC story mode run (level 35) on my level 25 thief because I didn’t knew my level was too low. I got defeated a few times, sure, but overall I held up a lot better than anyone expected, including myself (think I went down maybe 5 times or so). Even ressed my teammates a few times.

So no, not required. This game is more about player skill than gear in any form. Gear checks are a relic from other games that we do not need.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

Today, we did a level 10 fractal with a level 33 mesmer guildie that went in there for the first time. He didn’t go down any more often than the rest of the group.

Earlier this week, I did an AC story mode run (level 35) on my level 25 thief because I didn’t knew my level was too low. I got defeated a few times, sure, but overall I held up a lot better than anyone expected, including myself (think I went down maybe 5 times or so). Even ressed my teammates a few times.

So no, not required. This game is more about player skill than gear in any form. Gear checks are a relic from other games that we do not need.

I understand people’s obsession with perfect gear because in most other MMOs and games similar to this gear was the sole thing which defined your characters and ability. But I imagined at this point players of GW2 would have understood that gear isn’t what defines skill in this game.

I guess if you’re so thick headed where you’re not willing to play with different types of players to find out how everything works, you’ll never find out that gear isn’t what defines skill here.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Why the OP’s Requests will likely not be implemented. Those being left our is a design decision.

How will the OP’s request conform with that philosophy to get in and out as fast as possible.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

You’re exactly the reason those things aren’t “features” of the LFG and hopefully won’t ever be.

There isn’t a single dungeon or fractal in the game that requires strict gear sets and team compositions.

Anet needs to do everything the exactly opposite of what people like you say.