Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I have to pick carefully.

ba dum, tsssssss…

Molten Alliance Pick [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I don’t need to worry about resupplying myself with pickaxes – I am not “wasting” a spot in my bag … well, that was my reasoning. The animation was the cherry on top, honestly did not expect it

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

I’ve bought the pick, only for the conveninence. It’s so cool (And very less time spent) just go and mine without have to trade or buy minig picks =) .

I only will be very angry, if now Anet comes with an update with new nodes superior of orichalcum, this will mades me be very.. very ANGRY.

Posted by: toxmocker.9875

toxmocker.9875

I like that I can mine anything, but really, I don’t see a need to mine anything other than Mithril or Ori at this point. If they had put this out at launch……

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

I think it’s fair to say that if you buy the gems with gold (a bad idea for most players anyway!) and are discounting any convenience or other benefits of the pick, and you aren’t a hardcore gatherer…it will be a long time before you get a ROI for this purchase.

However, math wise, they’re completely pulling stuff out of their rear end. There’s no basis for deciding that the average person uses 20 picks per day. The daily based logic is complete nonsense…

dinominator.9862

However, math wise, they’re completely pulling stuff out of their rear end. There’s no basis for deciding that the average person uses 20 picks per day. The daily based logic is complete nonsense…

I wouldn’t expect that the pricing model is concerned with how many picks / day the average player uses. Making it 800 gems (or as someone figured out earlier, $10 US) seems like a nice, round number. It’s probably just an amount that they figure they could get for it based on what they’ve seen and what they know about their customer base.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The irony of things – the “iron” pick:
people give free suggestions to A-net through various threads asking some sort of more convenient gathering tools and they just take advantage of them through the gem-store asking money for what they found out for free not even spending one cent on a survey campaign

dinominator.9862

Freedom of speech can’t be expected on a forum owned and operated by a business, especially when some posts can be hurtful to the business.

(edited by dinominator.9862)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

‘ROI’ would imply this item is an investment.

it’s not.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

I’m certain many people bought it for the convenience, not to save gold. And well, the effects are just amazing.

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The numbers of OP is misleading since you need to also take into account the value of those that you mine.

1) How much Oricalcum can you purchase for 24g (est. val. of 800 gems)?
2) Calculate how much per Oricalcum sells for.
3) Calculate how many Oricalcum will it take to sell for 24g worth.
4) After selling all Oricalcum to pay off 24g, the rest are 100% profit.

In my experience mining just Mythril and Oricalcum, I can get 24g at a rate of 1g/day or 24days.

Therefore I will not see profit after 8yrs, lol, maybe just after a month at the latest.

Well worth it for me at least.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I like not having to carry a bunch of picks around. I just wish they had made a full set of tools, instead of just the pick.

Posted by: Flubble.8093

Flubble.8093

don’t just think about mining ori nodes, it’s a convenience item that will mine all ore nodes. saves carrying a few picks around for different nodes, you’ll never run out so no need to check on how many you have before adventuring out and never worry about fighting your way to a rich node to find you ran out of picks and have to do it all again.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

I understand the comparison to buying ori picks. But I prefer this comparison:
24g (for pick) / 3.2silver per ori= 750 ori mined pays for pick.
To put this in context, in the 7 months I have played the game I have mined somewhere in the region of 15 stacks of ori.
After this the pick is 100% profit.
3 other factors to consider:
1) convenience. Nothing like porting down to cursed shore for an ori run only to realize you’re out of picks.
2)It mines all ore equally, and I don’t feel like I need to carry around 10 different picks so I’m not wasting ori picks on copper.
3) animation is dope, well worth 800 gems imo.
And yes, I do own the pick

This, much better way of looking at it. Plus not needing to change picks for other types of materials since everyone’s so concerned about how many Ori picks they can buy for same price etc.

I only use my main mostly for mining so this was a great item for me.

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

dinominator.9862

I might consider buying this if it didn’t have the lava animation and made it so that mining was instantaneous and I didn’t have to manually loot the ore.

Instead of a flaming lava pick, I would like to see a super-efficient (maybe Asuran?) invention that manipulates the Eternal Alchemy to mine the ore simultaneously across multiple time dimensions and to use the same portal technology they already have to place it in your bags. Now that’s a time saver.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

it’s not.

What is ROI supposed to mean in this context anyway? Rate of increase?

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

don’t just think about mining ori nodes, it’s a convenience item that will mine all ore nodes. saves carrying a few picks around for different nodes, you’ll never run out so no need to check on how many you have before adventuring out and never worry about fighting your way to a rich node to find you ran out of picks and have to do it all again.

This is why this item is worth the $10 to me.

Especially considering i’ve spent $60 on games I don’t even really play after the first week. This pick will be with me for years.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

When has Arenanet ever priced something reasonably in their store?

edit: holy kitten going nuts about freedom of speech on here

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

Who mines just 7 nodes a day?

“who does things i don’t do”

compelling argument

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

it’s not.

Return On Investment.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The pick is just the beginning There will be the other tools too in some future “Live story” events. The store starts to be full of convenience items which slowly but surely will turn GW2 into a P2W game.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Biggest thing holding me back on buying this isn’t the over-the-top price, it’s the character-bound issue.
If I could use it on any of my characters, I’d have bought one as soon as I found out about them.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

ophidic.1279

it’s not.

Return On Investment.

Ahhhh… I suppose that stands to reason. Thanks!

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

If the cost was lower, people would complain about the gem store selling advantages. As it stands now the pick is just a cosmetic item.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

ophidic.1279

The pick is just the beginning There will be the other tools too in some future “Live story” events. The store starts to be full of convenience items which slowly but surely will turn GW2 into a P2W game.

Ok it’s not pay to win. That is an incorrect statement. You said yourself, “convenience items”

No one is winning any harder if they don’t have to check their store of picks to make sure they have enough/proper grade. Does that mean people who buy the Mystic Forge Conduit off the trading post are also paying to win?

Do you know what winning is in this game? Aside from PVP matches, and completing the story, there really isn’t any “winning” to be had. This isn’t like APB where you can buy better more accurate more powerful weapons.

If ascended gear was gems only I MIGHT agree with you that might be pay to win, except ascended gear doesn’t give a huge edge.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

The numbers of OP is misleading since you need to also take into account the value of those that you mine.

1) How much Oricalcum can you purchase for 24g (est. val. of 800 gems)?
2) Calculate how much per Oricalcum sells for.
3) Calculate how many Oricalcum will it take to sell for 24g worth.
4) After selling all Oricalcum to pay off 24g, the rest are 100% profit.

In my experience mining just Mythril and Oricalcum, I can get 24g at a rate of 1g/day or 24days.

Therefore I will not see profit after 8yrs, lol, maybe just after a month at the latest.

Well worth it for me at least.

The OP numbers are not misleading. It is correctly stated. Yours however can be misleading. Lets Explain:

OP is making a plain comparison between the Molten pick and the Orichalcum pick. Both of them return the same amount of Ores when mining, so the ore price can’t be used as a factor for the ROI. Bearing this in mind, OP is absolutely correct in his assessment about the ROI “Gold”.
However not all return can be quantifiable regarding the gold only but the visual effect and convenience as well as already stated.

/Cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Yeah it wont be cost effective for a long time but…

IT LOOKS GREAT!

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

When i seen the lawa effect i bought it imminently. Absolutely worth it. Not to mention its like legendary pickaxe lol.

Posted by: Aiden.6209

Aiden.6209

But.. But… It makes mining so much more cool! (or hot?)

[JDGE]

Aztro [Engineer] Extro [Warrior] Xilent [Thief] Tyrax Deathrain [Ranger] Krogax [Guardian]

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

The only people concerned about ROI are the people who buy gems from gold, and considering ArenaNet don’t make cash from such people, why would or should they care?

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Posted by: Killing Joke.4371

Killing Joke.4371

Posted in GW reddit board:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1citm3/60000_uses_before_the_molten_alliance_pick_is/

did some math to figure out how long it would take to make that purchase worthwhile

What about comparing time spent making ~$10 to time saved not buying mining picks?

We aren’t contractually tied down to rationality!

THERE IS NO SANITY CLAUSE!

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

The irony of things – the “iron” pick:
people give free suggestions to A-net through various threads asking some sort of more convenient gathering tools and they just take advantage of them through the gem-store asking money for what they found out for free not even spending one cent on a survey campaign

Yes because giving something to the community that they want as a viable means to make money when they charge no monthly fee, and pump out monthly content updates is taking advantage of people.

They are on the store for a limited time and for less than the price of most mmo subs.

You don’t want to spend 10 bucks this month on something then don’t, but saying they are ripping off people or taking advantage… comon.

How dense can you be, they are a company running a Free to play game. They need to make money off of things viewed as valuable to the community, not give them away.

Infact you don’t even have to spend RL money to get it if you have the gold. Think some people need to come back down and get off their high horses of morality.

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

I could have told you that this pick was for hardcore miners without doing the math.
Plus it has a cool molten effect, and you can’t put a price on that. :O

Yes you can. Cost like 799 gems that “cool molten effect”, if not more.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

This is like trying to figure out the ROI of the hoodies. Honestly, if the ROI of the pick was obvious, then everyone who can afford it would get it and everyone who can’t is SOL. That’s pay-to-win. The high price and the super-long-term-investment-for-pennies nature of this item is exactly the way it needs to be.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

meh, its a nice effect and a quality of life upgrade, I can now forget about the annoyance of carrying space mining tools, and the annoyance of using ori picks on low level nodes in lower level zones (ok its not a major issue, but it bugs me).

Slap in my shiny new pick, enjoy the effect and never have to worry about it again.
Here’s hoping for infi-axe and sickle.

(I really dont get why we even need tools to harvest, it adds nothign to the game experience, and seams a very clunky and pointless mechanic).

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

What’s the estimated ROI on those quaggan backpacks?

Posted by: Chrispytoast.3698

Chrispytoast.3698

Never having to worry about your pick again? Priceless

Save the orphans of Divinity’s Reach
Send Gold to: Chrispytoast

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

The convenience of never having to check how many picks I have on-hand and of what type is well worth it in my book. I bought 3.

ROI lol. So I payed $30 – less than a lunch in a decent restaurant, a pleasurable but short experience (45 minutes to an hour at most).

Somehow spending a few bucks on a leisure hobby interest is not what defines an “Investment” in my book. If and when we start talking in tens of thousands of dollars then you might be in the ballpark.

Any monies spent on games unless one is producing them as a lively-hood is not an investment, it’s a leisure expenditure.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

This is how I think about it. Everyday I gather.
45 ori x 3.2 silver =1.44 gold and 250 mit x 43copper = 1.07 gold
That’s 2.5 gold a day, only from selling ore, not the mention the orbs/crystals you find.

ROI (really ROI? In a game?) is 10 days or less if you put your back into it.

I love resource gathering, I love going around lvl 80 maps and gathering up stuff, so it’s totally worth it for me. But seriously, it’s a cool looking item. That alone should warrant the 800 gems purchase. I would encourage Anet to release the sickle, axe and salvage kit.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

If more gathering tools are going to be introduced in the gem store, what the heck are they going to look like? We really going to chop down trees and gather berries with lava?

dinominator.9862

If more gathering tools are going to be introduced in the gem store, what the heck are they going to look like? We really going to chop down trees and gather berries with lava?

You might end up having to eat those words… :-/ I don’t think it’s any less realistic than picking your ore out of a molten lava pit (which all logic dictates should now be melted and mixed into the lava).

Leo G.4501

But the ore isn’t destroyed, just melted. Burning your logs and food destroys the logs and food

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

That cool molten effect can be seen from miles away in WvW. Good luck mining….enjoy the effect and the repair costs.

Leo G.4501

That cool molten effect can be seen from miles away in WvW. Good luck mining….enjoy the effect and the repair costs.

Are they still visible during stealth?

Posted by: Toxophile.6215

Toxophile.6215

I’m thinking the lava effect is going to get old pretty quick. That plus the fact it is character bound, and the pretty steep cost for something only a single toon can use. I think I will just keep using the karma picks. And who mines copper at level 80 anyhow? lol. But that all being said, and with the current restrictions, if they had priced it at 400 gems, I would have been certainly bought at least 1. If it stayed account bound after use, I would have bought it at 600.

dinominator.9862

But that all being said, and with the current restrictions, if they had priced it at 400 gems, I would have been certainly bought at least 1. If it stayed account bound after use, I would have bought it at 600.

What are you basing your numbers on? It seems just as arbitrary as 800.

ophidic.1279

LOL, carry a regular one into wvw? Good point though.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

If the cost was lower, people would complain about the gem store selling advantages. As it stands now the pick is just a cosmetic item.

This is inevitable. No matter what happens, taking away or adding something to the game will result in someone complaining about it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnpleasableFanbase

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

That’s 2.5 gold a day, only from selling ore, not the mention the orbs/crystals you find.

This calculation just doesnt make sense. You could still make your 2.5 gold / day (well, less half an orichalcum and 2,5 mithril picks, which total 6 silver) without having to buy a 20-25g unlimited mining pick. So, what you are actually saving by buying the pick is only 6s / day… not 2.5g / day.

So, in your case (which I think its an exception – gathering basically every orichalcum node on the world + 83 mithril nodes every day) it would take you almost one year (more considering the actual gems price) to compensate your expenses.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

This calculation just doesnt make sense. You could still make your 2.5 gold / day (well, less half an orichalcum and 2,5 mithril picks, which total 6 silver) without having to buy a 20-25g unlimited mining pick. So, what you are actually saving by buying the pick is only 6s / day… not 2.5g / day.

So, in your case (which I think its an exception – gathering basically every orichalcum node on the world + 83 mithril nodes every day) it would take you almost one year (more considering the actual gems price) to compensate your expenses.

So it cost me 25G, I make that back in 10 day (to compensate my expenses) and now have a cool item. It’s not that hard to understand. Well I guess I’m not talking about ROI, because I’m not doing an investment for max gains, I’m getting a cool item.

(edited by Tower Guard.5263)