Molten Alliance Pick [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amaris.9135

Amaris.9135

P2W in other MMOs = pay to be on top, while in GW2, P2W= pay to be the first on top. And the “convenience” is a word invented by A-Net to replace the P2W as invented renown hearts to replace the kill 10 rats concept, and the scouts instead of the quest log,
They just hired a psychologist to invent words to distract people from the real thing.
Other MMOs are based on gear so that is the general idea of what a P2W is, so people think that of the endgame.
The endgame in GW2 is based on grinding skins to look better, so all they have in the shop is going around that philosophy.
Even the “we don’t think grinding is fun” from their Manifesto has turned out to be a false statement while everything in the game is based on grinding.
Look at this, you cant even finish your storyline like in a normal single player $60 game without grinding between levels.

Uhhhh. are you serious? Convenience was not a word “invented” by anet, having a flashy resource gathering tool does not put you “on top” of anything, and while it’s NOT a single player, you can for sure finish the story without grinding.

Even if you have to grind up a few levels it takes like an evening. If you’re lazy. You ever played final fantasy? Did you know you have to grind up levels before you can advance the story in that too?

How am I even supposed to pretend to take this seriously?

This.

I can’t even think what the big fuss is about ‘grinding levels’ to advance in your storyline. Levelling is very smooth, just walking around gives you exp (if you find a new zone), whereas in a lot of other games you do have to ‘grind’ to advance in your personal story.

Most of the MMO’s I’ve played, had a personal storyline in it, and it was ALL tied to your level. You had to kill mobs over and over to level, so you could deal with your next part of the story. The same thing applies to GW2, the only thing here is that levelling is a breeze and you gain exp without even thinking about it, you don’t even have to touch mobs if you don’t want to. But then, why play an action based MMO if you’re not going to slaughter bunnies and sheep?

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

spending 10$ for pixels and pixels that aren’t even useful is kinda funny imo.

That argument could be used for nearly anything from the cash shop, really.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I bought one with real money.

Yes, its just pixels but atleast next week Ill still have those pixels. You wont have your six pack anymore.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

i bought 2. Why? It saves me the trouble of restocking on picks and it has a shiny effect that makes people jealous.

It was a direct purchase, and i support that. It’s not in the black lion chest so i don’t have to RNG for me. And i don’t have much time to play so i can’t farm cof all day and night. It’s much easier to work an hour, than grind the game for 5.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

1/ I bought the pick with real money

2/ some people bought it with gold > gems which were put into the system by a paying customer in the first place.

One way or another, every single pick was paid for with real cash.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Oh and the primary reason I bought it was not because of the effects, not because of the unlimited uses but because I want to support Arena.net for making an awesome game. That alone makes it worth it.

If a.net is to keep putting awesome stuff in the game on a monthly schedule, someone has to fork over the cash. I’m very happy to do my bit for the GW2 community. I’m happier paying Arena.net a bit out of free will than being forced to hand over half my income in taxes … just saying.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Bought with rl money. Never have enough gold to turn into gems. Also I kinda like supporting Anet, when I do use gems.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

The logical assumption would be arenanet would like not to anger tons of paying customers by making this not upgradeable in the future.

The tooltop states that it is on the same level as the orichalcum pickaxe.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

The logical assumption would be arenanet would like not to anger tons of paying customers by making this not upgradeable in the future.

The tooltop states that it is on the same level as the orichalcum pickaxe.

Actually the tooltip says “Used to mine all metals.” The website wiki says same as orichalcum. But my sentence was saying that they could simply upgrade its usefulness in the event new ore is introduced, as to appease those players.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

i got 12. it takes me much more time to farm enough gold to buy a pick than to earn 10 bucks. i have 15 chars total, not sure which of them will have picks. my 3 main chars already got 1 each. the remaining 9 are resting, didnt decide who will have them yet. maybe ill buy more, not sure though. i believe we might have more unlimited tools in the future with different skins. im pretty sure anet made more than $ 1 million with the picks if they really have the active playerbase they say they have. some friends got one or two picks as well, i can count at least 5.

btw, cant wait to buy 12 axes and 12 sickles. a chainsaw skinned axe would be awesome.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

The real question is…who cares?
What people do with their money is their business. Do you people with all the snide comments here wait in store line-ups and criticize the items complete strangers have in their shopping carts as being a “waste” or “not something you’d ever spend money on”. No, you don’t. This is the same thing here.
So…who cares what people spend their own money on?

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

is no one considering the possibility of a new kind of ore being introduced in expansion packs

Im hoping thye dont, and also hoping for no level increase.

Mind you theyve said no expansion is being planned at present, just continual content updates, which purchases like this pay for.

The more people buy this, the less likely they need to do standard expansions

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Not only an infinite mining pick is useless because the normal ones are cheap but spending 10$ for pixels and pixels that aren’t even useful is kinda funny imo. Like not because its new YOU have to buy something as worthless…

You don’t understand the most basic thing in economy: something’s price is what a customer is ready to not use for something else.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I bought it, not because i had to but because i wanted to support Anet.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

The animation is cool enough. Still deciding on whether I should get it, but if I do, I’ll get by real $ as gold-gem ratio now is…..

Posted by: smeen.4237

smeen.4237

I’m going to buy it with real money, yes. I tend to buy a gem card every month, it’s not that expensive and I want to support Anet as much as possible since they made the first and only MMO I actually kept playing.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

I one bought with real money.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Even if you have to grind up a few levels it takes like an evening. If you’re lazy. You ever played final fantasy? Did you know you have to grind up levels before you can advance the story in that too?

How am I even supposed to pretend to take this seriously?

It doesn’t matter if you need to grind half of level or a few levels, the point is you are not able to do your storyline continuously without “the extra distractions”.
I can go from start to finish in GW1 without doing anything else than the primary quests and missions. I don’t need a “certain” level to be able to do them.

And that Final Fantasy example is lame. All Asian games are based on grinding so you could take 100 more games as examples, that doesn’t mean they are doing the right thing.

And yea, the mining pick put you on top and is a game breaker because it is not for everyone. Look at the ori materials price

Posted by: Cyzaine.8061

Cyzaine.8061

I bought it with cash.

Hurry up and release the infinite sickle and infinite axe so I can buy whose with cash too!

[CC] of {JQQ} – Fighting the good fight since BWE1

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I’m just wondering how successful this is, because the gemstore is a weird combination of a cash shop and ingame shop.

If things are priced too high, people will usually not use real money. If priced too little, people will use ingame gold as well.

What is the middle ground where ANET earns profit? I’ve been reading a lot of stories about the pickaxe, so I’m just wondering about it.

They still indirectly benefit from people buying gems with gold. This raises the price of gold to gem conversion which will shift more people to use real money than in game money.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I bought one. Had 800gems sitting in my acct for a while with nothing else really striking my fancy. Debated it for a couple days. Finally, I bought it when I ran outa mining picks mid-rich ore node. Figured: this is the convenience factor. And I like it.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Yohimbe.1876

Yohimbe.1876

I bought it with cash.

Hurry up and release the infinite sickle and infinite axe so I can buy whose with cash too!

./signed. Or get fancy and release a infinite-3-tools-in-one slot contraption that covers all harvesting and mining. And I would pay cash for that.

Chay Darkhaven – SBI
Leader of The Ethereal Guard
Huzzah!

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

I bought it with cash.

Agreed, $160 more from me once they get released for my 10 chars.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

Just curious, so I’m surveying. Who actually bought a a Fusion Pickaxe with real money instead of gold to gems?

I did. Most expensive virtual item I’ve ever bought, but instantly knew I was going to buy it. $10 is peanuts, considering I’ve played GW1 nearly 5000 hours and plan to do the same with GW2.

$10 is the least I can do for Anet, LOL.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

why would you buy it with any kind of money?

Real life cash may be easier to come by than in-game gold for some.

Not only an infinite mining pick is useless because the normal ones are cheap but spending 10$ for pixels and pixels that aren’t even useful is kinda funny imo. Like not because its new YOU have to buy something as worthless…

Have you ever bought a DVD ?

Useless pixels on a disc, why buy those ?

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

ophidic.1279

Convenience and looks. duh.

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

OMG HAHA I love this comment.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

The main reason I bought it was to avoid the “You have no gathering tools equipped.” I’ll be way out in the middle of a zone, and see some rare ore, or ore I want, and I will only have 1 use left on my pick. So then I would have to wp back to town or back to a merchant that sells them. It wasn’t about the cost of buying new picks for me, it was about the convenience of not having to buy new picks while in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Shikigami.4013

“Counterquestion: I paid €40 for the game, the pick costs €10 in gems. Do you think 4 of these picks are worth as much as a complete game account?”

Yup that about sums up what a rip off it is.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

It is “soulbound on use.” Altaholic here, and I’m definitely not buying eight of them.

Oh well i bought 9 of them one for each of my characters your choice but i like them and i have alts. Oh and before you say i am rich i work at walmart how rich can i be?

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I might consider buying this if it didn’t have the lava animation and made it so that mining was instantaneous and I didn’t have to manually loot the ore.

Instead of a flaming lava pick, I would like to see a super-efficient (maybe Asuran?) invention that manipulates the Eternal Alchemy to mine the ore simultaneously across multiple time dimensions and to use the same portal technology they already have to place it in your bags. Now that’s a time saver.

Umm dude you dont have to manually loot the ore. Check your settings ingame.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Shikigami.4013

“Counterquestion: I paid €40 for the game, the pick costs €10 in gems. Do you think 4 of these picks are worth as much as a complete game account?”

Yup that about sums up what a rip off it is.

This question was posed about the character slot enhancements a while back, I think. Where you could get 5 with a new game account, but only get 4 for the price in cash.

The answer then is the same now: no, it’s not worthwhile except for the convenience of having things in a single place. (Or in this case, single pick.) Same as when GW1 was cheap as dirt and the Xunlai Expansions cost $10 each.

It was a “rip off” then, and is now, if you want to look objectively and weigh it as an economic thought. On the other hand, it’s also more economical to get bread, cheese, and meat rather than to go out for fast food. Strangely, those businesses are still busy day in, day out

Bottom line: people are idiots about their money. Myself included.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Everybody is complaining about the price, well then don’t buy it. Those who do buy it, are probably more concerned about the animation and the convenience, not the ROI on the investment. If you’re a cheapo, don’t buy it. Plain and simple.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: ExaDal.2017

ExaDal.2017

Ten dollars for never having to remember to buy picks or remember having to change according to the metal I’m collecting.

I think is a good price.

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

I got my ROI less than a second after I mined my first node with it. I bought it as a toy, not to save gold. I think for many folks the unlimited part wasn’t about mining nodes, it was about being able to have the effect an unlimited number of times. Even if some ubernode is added that I can’t mine with it, I won’t be sad because it will still work on all the other nodes.

In that case it should be upgraded for the ubernode just like legendaries should stay the best item obtainable in game

In fact it should be a legendary molten mining pick!

ophidic.1279

I might consider buying this if it didn’t have the lava animation and made it so that mining was instantaneous and I didn’t have to manually loot the ore.

Instead of a flaming lava pick, I would like to see a super-efficient (maybe Asuran?) invention that manipulates the Eternal Alchemy to mine the ore simultaneously across multiple time dimensions and to use the same portal technology they already have to place it in your bags. Now that’s a time saver.

Umm dude you dont have to manually loot the ore. Check your settings ingame.

He wants ore pickup like how you pick up gold in D3, by just going close to it and not having to be bothered to pushing the F key and waiting a whole few seconds.

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

It doesn’t matter if you need to grind half of level or a few levels, the point is you are not able to do your storyline continuously without “the extra distractions”.
I can go from start to finish in GW1 without doing anything else than the primary quests and missions. I don’t need a “certain” level to be able to do them.

And that Final Fantasy example is lame. All Asian games are based on grinding so you could take 100 more games as examples, that doesn’t mean they are doing the right thing.

And yea, the mining pick put you on top and is a game breaker because it is not for everyone. Look at the ori materials price

What is WRONG with you? Leveling a character in an RPG is a distraction? Again, Final Fantasy or any other game… my point is that the grind is MUCH GREATER than in guild wars. Period. Or are you that self-entitled that you feel that you should be free of the shackles of character progression?

You can get an ori pick for 300 karma I saw someone mention. There is no difficulty in getting an ori pick. This molten pick is mainly for convenience and looks. It’s just like an unlimited calling plan versus a pay as you go plan. Don’t like the crap with pay as you go, pay more for an unlimited plan. Big hairy deal.

Jumping puzzles are obviously not for me, and I can’t get all that loot at the end of them… is that a game breaker too? It’s frustrating, but not a game breaker. I just get my loot elsewhere.

Elyl Jrend

(edited by ophidic.1279)

Geotherma.2395

OMG HAHA I love this comment.

What is a DVD? I have all these Blu Ray thingies… you kids and your new fangled technological gizmos!

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

You need like what, over 600 used pickaxes for it to be worth?
Way to waste your money.
And it’s soulbound too. By that time gw3 will be out.

Why do people never think before they buy? Learn to use your brain and do some math.

Edit: Here, for the people who never learned math:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1citm3/60000_uses_before_the_molten_alliance_pick_is/

(edited by Arekai.5698)

Geotherma.2395

Way to waste your money.

Why do people never think before they buy? Learn to use your brain and do some math.

Way to tell people what to do with their money. If you bought GW2 you wasted money using your criteria. because couldn’t you have used that $60 to buy a book to learn something? Or maybe to buy new shoes which have real value? Or heck, the 10 seconds you took to post this rubbish you could have been in game and made at least 10 silver off an ori node or an end maw event? Stop wasting your money/time foolishly.

And by the way math wiz, 30 ors a day with that pick is about 1g. 20-25 days and you have your money back if you do just 30. But then again, people don’t buy this solely to make back money. They buy it for convenience.

Before calling people stupid for spending their own money might wanna think a little deeper than “puddle” level before making yourself sound ignorant and condescending.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Leuddian.3057

Leuddian.3057

Yep I bought the pick with cash…also bought just about 90% of my assets using the gem to gold feature.

Honestly considering how much I pay for my coffee every morning and all those after work happy hours I go to…spending ~$10 a week on GW2 isn’t all that a lot.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Even if some ubernode is added that I can’t mine with it, I won’t be sad because it will still work on all the other nodes.

In that case it should be upgraded for the ubernode just like legendaries should stay the best item obtainable in game

In fact it should be a legendary molten mining pick!

I expect it will be, but even if it isn’t, I’ve gotten my enjoyment out of it.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: agauos.8794

agauos.8794

Real money. I’ve spent quite a bit of money on diamonds, more than I want to admit.

Charr/Warrior – Level 80; Norn/Mesmer – Level 80; Charr/Engineer – WIP;
Sylvari/Thief – WIP; Human/Necromancer – WIP

ophidic.1279

Way to waste your money.

Edit: Here, for the people who never learned math:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1citm3/60000_uses_before_the_molten_alliance_pick_is/

Because it’s not even worth a half hour of my time in IRL money. It’s not like I rented to own a home theater system. God, people can be so cheap.

Elyl Jrend

ophidic.1279

I threw $60 away on Diablo 3. I stopped playing it after a week. I’ve already gotten more mileage out of this pick than I did Diablo 3.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Everybody is complaining about the price, well then don’t buy it. Those who do buy it, are probably more concerned about the animation and the convenience, not the ROI on the investment. If you’re a cheapo, don’t buy it. Plain and simple.

Actually, no. Not many people were complaining about the price. Quite a few stated they will not buy it because it is soulbound, quite a few others stated they will not buy it because they think it is too expensive or “not worth it”, and yet others stated that they did not care about the price and bought one for each of their alts. All of this is content that you would expect in a forum thread about the picks, because you know, this forum is for expressing yourself and not for staying silent.

The only point of your post however is to complain about other people making posts. So who contributed to the discussion and who did not? Think about it, but don’t reply just for me, I am not interested in an answer.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

I’m sure they appreciate your input.

Geotherma.2395

There is 20 other posts like this one. Did it really need its own thread to complain about the fact that you think it cost too much in “your opinion”?
1. Not everyone bought them with gold.
2. People did not buy them for their “super money saving awesomeness”
3. They are in the gem store, so they are convenience items.
4. The gem store has never been, nor will it be, a way for players to get ahead of others who don’t use it.
5. It is OPTIONAL

It saves space.
It costs $10-The price of a fast food meal + snack, a small toy, a case of beer etc etc.
It looks cool (opinion)
It mines any ore

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: Provost.6210

Provost.6210

There is 20 other posts like this one. Did it really need its own thread to complain about the fact that you think it cost too much in “your opinion”?

Yes.

Also, mine has the math behind it and, if you ask politely, I can send you a complimentary lightning rod you can staple to your forehead.

Posted by: Sericenthe.5310

Sericenthe.5310

I threw $60 away on Diablo 3. I stopped playing it after a week. I’ve already gotten more mileage out of this pick than I did Diablo 3.

So true. What a pile that game was.

Seri Kali [Me] – 80 Necromancer -Yak’s Bend