Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

-This event is too similiar to the aether blade events almost a copy past event with less rewards.

-this event encourages tagging mobs and moving on and not completing events for the duration.

-this event is a gold sink by waypointing around everwhere to get to next event. makek waypoints atleast free.

- it would be nice is the event mobs could count as kills towards maxing out weapon type kill counts in achievements.

- low bloom rewards makes it harder to get multiple things you desire. unless you didn’t want average players to get a couple higher rewards from the list.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I rarely come here to post or reply but I just want the devs to know how important it is for us players to not be punished in any way by having a disconnect in the middle of a play session, more importantly if we are going to lose any progress we have made in a said event. If there was a way to “save” that progress for a few minutes so we have the time to log back in, it would be great, and yes I know we can do the next event in 30 minutes but for some 30 min are alot and dont have time for more.

We completely agree with you. The team will be working on a way to address this. I don’t know if progress would be saved, that’s a question for a designer or programmer. However, at the least, we don’t want someone to lose their rewards!

Could you clarify as im now confused – you said previously that nothing could now ben done to improve the event – but you say Dev’s are working on improvements? does this mean the event will come back soon?

I believe that Gaile means, “The team will be working on a way to address this for future events” not this one, of course, only she knows for sure.

I would love if they had some way of giving us our rewards lost due to crashes, I had a map crash last night about 30 seconds from the end and it’s very frustrating.

Posted by: Christonya.3856

Christonya.3856

The main problem I have with this event, is that the only way to gain max rewards from it is to aoe a pack of mobs and immediately run off to the next, it’s an event system that seriously encourages leeching and what GW2 is NOT about, selfishness. It’s part of why I love this game, see some one tackling a large creature? Help them, you get rewarded exp, loot, maybe event an event completion.

As it stands, with the way the event is right now, although it’s not ideal the biggest issue boils down to the fact that if you spend 3 hours a day (average game time) do each map once, getting 20 stacks for maximum rewards, you are awarded 35 tokens. for 4 days, thats 35*3*4 = 420. You can’t even get two rewards with that amount of time…. And to grind every event from start to finish and forgo sleep I don’t even think you can obtain all the items.

Posted by: soulwblood.1529

soulwblood.1529

Mechanics:

*Mechanics are balanced. Not too difficult and not too easy. For me they look good enough for lvl 15+ players.
*Scaling. As usual, a problem in large events, these should scale so mobs don’t die in a few hits (Maybe only spawning elites instead of normal mobs past 10 players would fix it)
*Keep people in the same event chain. In order to avoid people jumping from event to event, people should be encouraged, or even chained to complete a set of events. My idea would be to have a Champion with proper loot and difficult mechanics (Appropriated to the level) in the of the event chain.
Also to avoid people tagging the champion and running to the next, players in the event zone could still be locked into the zone, and Mordrem are perfect for that. Arena net could cause the area around the event boss to be covered in vines, preventing players from escaping until this monster is dead. Making this area big enough so players could move, but not get Out of Combat would be perfect, so no one would waypoint out.

Rewards:

*Mob loot = Even if they drop much, I believe Pressing F after a group of mobs is dead is satisfying!
*Chance of getting Blooms from dead Mordrem = This could be influenced by the amount of personal stacks. Much like Silverwastes MF boost. (This drop should be very, very rare too)
*Events should still give EXP, Karma and silver = Even though these rewards are mostly discarded most of the time, they are still events and work as such, they should give the same rewards as completing core game events.

To be honest, it’s very hard to believe that after 3 years, Arena Net is still unable to create events properly. But well, hope this will be just yet another experiment…

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Some posts in here that have the lynch mob mentality need to relax.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

ummmmmmm……..will there be a POI this Friday?

Posted by: Nova Stiker.8396

Nova Stiker.8396

I rarely come here to post or reply but I just want the devs to know how important it is for us players to not be punished in any way by having a disconnect in the middle of a play session, more importantly if we are going to lose any progress we have made in a said event. If there was a way to “save” that progress for a few minutes so we have the time to log back in, it would be great, and yes I know we can do the next event in 30 minutes but for some 30 min are alot and dont have time for more.

We completely agree with you. The team will be working on a way to address this. I don’t know if progress would be saved, that’s a question for a designer or programmer. However, at the least, we don’t want someone to lose their rewards!

Could you clarify as im now confused – you said previously that nothing could now ben done to improve the event – but you say Dev’s are working on improvements? does this mean the event will come back soon?

I’m sorry if my answer wasn’t clear. The devs are looking into a way to prevent people from losing rewards when they disconnect in the middle of an event. It is not possible to make changes to this event, but the information gained through player reports will help us address problems in the game and prevent them in the future.

I’m more concerned about getting rewards at all. Disconnecting is nasty but when events give nothing, mobs drops nothing, it’s even more frustrating.
Instead of rewarding players from doing as many events as possible before it ends, just reward them for doing them and killing stuff.

A lone moa offers more reward than killing Mordemoths entire army right now. Who the heck thought that was a good idea? Come on game designers, it doesn’t take a genius, just good people skills.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

We also are going to postpone our plans to organize an in-game event around the Mordrem Invasion this afternoon.

You do realize that just makes the event worse, by leaving it as it is rather than having some other activities added, right?

We encourage all of you who’ve participated in the Mordrem Invasion to please share your constructive thoughts on how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future. Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

I’m just going to quote what I put down in a reddit thread last night. But before that, I just want to state that I understand where some of the design concepts came from.

• No loot came from the fact that people abused the loot system during Scarlet invasions, focusing on farming mobs and especially champions rather than completing the event. By removing loot, the focus becomes geared towards completing the invasion instead.
  • No experience prevents low levels from being insanely overleveled without new players learning the things the new levels give them.
  • Finally, making the rewards personal based was because, no doubt, during Escape from Lion’s Arch we had a ton of afk leechers for the citizen rescuing.

So I understand where those changes came from, but I think things were taken ‘too far’.

ON REWARDS
The stacks from event completion is a neat idea, but there’s two major failpoints on the implementation. First off, disconnection ruins all progress. I think people would rather have chests per event instead. Second off, with 1 stack per event completion regardless of contribution, you get people tagging and leaving.

Solution to the second would be to tier stacks of the reward-calculating buff based on participation. For example:

• Bronze participation = 1 stack of Invasion Defender
  • Silver participation = 2 stacks of Invasion Defender
  • Gold participation = 3 stacks of Invasion Defender

This would keep people around longer. Then in addition, add a third chest at the end for map-wide event completion. Using the current Mordrem Invasion system, that chest should be set up as:

• 10 events completed = 5 Mordrem Blooms
  • 25 events completed = 10 Mordrem Blooms
  • 40 events completed = 15 Mordrem Blooms
    By having both personal and map-wide participation, you promote completion of events while pushing away from people afk’ing, and if that personal participation scales on multiple levels – how many events you do, and how much you participated in them – then there will be a desire to both stick around and to get as many as you can, pushing people to pay attention to what to do and figure out the fastest way to complete and event, rather than the fastest way to get participation for an event.

Finally, have money and karma rewarded for event completions, giving some basic rewards provided for those with little interest in the vendor’s offers.

Then expand the event to have seven more days – a full week, if not two.

This would turn the event from a grindfest to a casual fun community event, which is what it was promoted as.

OVERALL VIEWS
It was overhyped and doesn’t fit GW2’s “stated philosphy”.

It is a grindfest, pure and simple. Little reward for high prices and limited time.

The rewards themselves are great. Gemstore items from Season 1 – i.e., no longer available – or assistance on some of the grindiest armor aside from Legendary/Halloween exotic weapons? Great. But the boxes give a paultry amount and for the rate of bloom drops the prices for everything else are too pricey, particularly for a casual game.

If they upped the rewards/downed the prices and extended this event for a full week rather than a weekend (didn’t they learn that lesson with The Lost Shores?), it’d be better.

The events are a bit too simplistic – a clear crossover of the Scarlet’s Minion Invasion! meta and the Toxic Offshoot events – but not terrible in the least. However, the rush to get credit and move on to the next before the 30 minutes are up just for the mere +5 Blooms ruins the experience.

And to add onto that, this very event was promoted as a community building event to promote Heart of Thorns? It’s a selfish event due to the lack of map-based rewards where you want to do as little work for as many events as possible, and doesn’t set a good example on the idea of rewards or event variety in Heart of Thorns either.

Overall, I’d rate a 4/10.

Good concept, but terrible implementation.

TL;DR
Pros:

• Excellent reward options, offering no longer obtainable stuff.
  • Promoted well.
  • Mixes two highly praised design concepts of Season 1, one of which many folks wanted a return of.
  • Neat mechanics.
  • Doesn’t overlevel new players, thus pushing them out of their element (like past events).

Cons:

• Too short duration (one weekend is not enough – The Lost Shores should have told you this!).
  • Too much pressure to ignore mechanics.
  • Too pricey rewards/little currency rewarded, furthering the stress of point #2.
  • Quantity of RNG drops designed to help hasten crafting is too low to make much difference in said crafting.
  • Promoted too well. Ends up not being what was promoted.
  • Doesn’t reward ANY old currencies (I’m looking at you, Karma).
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Rainiris.1975

Rainiris.1975

I have two suggestions:

1. Change the rewarded blooms to one per completed event in the map to everyone that has completed at least 5 events. This doesnt directly mitigate leeching, but encourages participation.

2. Re-activate this event every once in a while in pair to Living World updates (weekend after every update?). This fights content drough and gives core players something to look for, while also doubling the options for HoT players.

Posted by: NightShadow.1429

NightShadow.1429

I have problems with the fact that the personal rewards are encouraging people to play incredibly selfishly and just tag an event then move to the next one in order to get 20 stacks because the rewards are so darn low to begin with!

I get that some of the possible rewards are gem store items, and that’s great… but people would have to farm almost this entire event and have no life outside of Guild Wars 2 for 4 days in the hopes of getting more then one reward. This is because the amount of blooms you are able to get are a very FINITE amount, you can only get a max of 45 every 4 1/2 hours plus the 60 a day from the bonus chest… it’s just not worth it to even participate, after almost two days I’m already burnt out.

Why were the rewards not for map wide accomplishment with a minimum participation of 5 events (or however many to help with people just afking in the map)? Why have a map wide counter when it means nothing? It doesn’t matter how many incursions the map has defeated if you personally have only done 5 events.

I’ll be happy enough if I manage to get enough bloom for the toxic glove skin…

On top of that, this was supposed to encourage new players and recruiting for guilds… new players would be hard pressed to even tag anything or understand what’s going on with the speed that the mobs disintegrate. The top level rewards are also mostly out of reach of new players sitting at a 10g price point (on top of the blooms they’re almost never going to get).

“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Posted by: Pyr O Desolation.5017

Pyr O Desolation.5017

Thank you Gaile for your patronage in the community, I’ve seen lots of trolling in the mapchat and very few have come on the forums in comparison. Coming composed in a discussion without a doubt will get you farther. that being said, these are my suggestions :
1. disable wp costs for mordrem events. not all guilds have the reduction of wp costs unlocked and most who do see it as a waste of influence.
2. mordrem events do not reward players to the extent of exp, karma, or accumulating coin. i see that gaming is an adventure, but when coin and exp fuels its progression, i feel the content of this event is lacking valuable mechanics.
3. tag and run i know many have said before, but perhaps if tagging mobs is all players will contribute rather than do as is needed to complete the events, they should be rewarded less than those using the seige provided.
4. i think the tiers of participation should count towards the rewards obtained. i.e. copper, silver, and gold. in this sense tag and run, will get you less rewards for having participated less in the events.

It’s not always about winning, sometimes its about losing without feeling used.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

This all started with the horrible pre-event set up for the triple trouble worm and now we are at the point where the concept of reward has completely broken down.

Giving us loot, xp and some materials is actually the aim of the game, not some sort of crime. Why, at this point, do we even have magic find if we can never actually use it?

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

Can Anet describe to us, in specific detail, what went they think right and wrong for this event? I think that would encourage discussion about what players desire and what dev’s understand is good.

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

These tweaks would drastically increase event participation:

ALL waypoints contested for 30 minutes – putting vets and newbies on a similar playing field.

SW-style wiggle chest upon event completion, based on participation – reducing the impact of disconnects and giving a greater sense of accomplishment.

Short-lived gathering node spawned upon event completion – discouraging tag-and-run tactics. Maybe a stacking speed/vigor buff?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We are aware of an issue where if you disconnect during the event you will not be able to rejoin. If you experience this, you will be able to participate in the events that follow the one from which you disconnected. For instance, if you were disconnected during the Kessex Hills incursion, you’ll be able to get into the next stage when it takes place in Diessa Plateau.

Sorry but…so what? Who cares? There’s no carry over from one map to the next. It’s like saying “well, if you’re doing world bosses and you get DC’d you can always go and do the next world boss.” Yes, of course you can, but how would that answer an issue of consistently not getting rewards for content completed?

Happy to explain: We got questions about this, because the events come in a wave of threes over a four-hour period. So someone who disconnected in the first of the three “waves” of the four-hour event asked if they needed to wait for the entire cycle to begin again or if they could go to the next point of incursion. The answer is, they can do 2 of 3 or 1 of 3, and are not required to do all 3 of 3 to get rewards. I hope that explains it a bit more clearly.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

We have been tracking player response and recognize that this event has not gone as intended. We’re at a point where we can’t change anything more about this event for this weekend without risk to the greater portion of the game. We also are going to postpone our plans to organize an in-game event around the Mordrem Invasion this afternoon. Instead, we’re going to continue to monitor for your feedback and collect information that will help us improve on these types of events going forward.

We are aware of an issue where if you disconnect during the event you will not be able to rejoin. If you experience this, you will be able to participate in the events that follow the one from which you disconnected. For instance, if you were disconnected during the Kessex Hills incursion, you’ll be able to get into the next stage when it takes place in Diessa Plateau.

As we mentioned yesterday, we will be taking care of those of you who did not get your rewards, so look for those in your in-game mail in the coming days.

We encourage all of you who’ve participated in the Mordrem Invasion to please share your constructive thoughts on how we can improve on these types of experiences in the future. Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

Thank you.

Thanks, I appreciate the response and acknowledgement about the event as it is now and that you are looking to improve future events though this experience. It is one thing I really like about Anet is they are willing to try things and if they do not work, take the criticism and suggestions and look for new and interesting solutions.

I would definitely take out the hopping around the map looking for an event to complete. It was difficult for me to get 10 events in during the time allocated in the map and I felt bad leaving any event incomplete as I am slightly OCD and like to tidy up before I move on….lol. It would be more meaningful to get partial credit (less reward) for hopping around vs helping each event complete fully. Also with the mobs most of the time you could only get there in time to hit maybe one or two things and it was over.

Since this is a limited event and it is hard to accumulate the blossoms for higher end things, instead of the 3 or 4 things I was interested in I have picked only one now and am hoping I do get enough to get it. Possibly this event could recur and pop up occasionally (every other week or some sort of schedule we could figure out) to allow folk to eventually accumulate the number of blossoms for multiple items.

Posted by: Yue.5974

Yue.5974

Was looking forward to this event. Sadly I was quite disappointed.

The rewards for this event are really cool! But the amount of time needed to even get a small portion and the horrible drop rate for the Blooms just ruins the event for me. Along with the fact that people just running and tagging things is more rewarded than actually helping the events succeed.

Another problem is that when someone DC’s they do not get a reward even if that are able to build up stacks again upon reconnecting to the map.

Also, for an event “aimed” at the new players, this is just bad. They come with their lower level charas, may have trouble keeping up and tagging things. Likely do not have all the waypoints. They also probably do not have enough gold for the rewards. On top of that, they gain no experience, karma or gold. I cannot imagine this as an event that will leave a good impression and urge them into buying HoT if they have not done so yet.

In short, what I feel would help make this event better.

-Better Bloom rewarding
-Group rewarding
-Mob loot or experience at least so new players can gain levels
-Some gold rewards to help the new players or remove the gold needed for the rewards
-Fix the issue where if you DC you get no credit even if you are able to get over 5 stacks again on reconnect

Character Name: Yue, Rynorr Soulshielder, Rose Yuenü and 28 others xD
Guild: The Eternal Blades Of The North[EBoN]
Server: Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Schadenfreude is our Friend.6950

Schadenfreude is our Friend.6950

Some concrete suggestions for rewards changes:

-Please cap personal rewards stacks at 10 instead of 20, and make the blooms scale per stack. Encouraging more than 10 stacks rewards “tag and run” gameplay, and gives incentives to selfishly tag mobs and leave to get more stacks at another event, instead of staying and actually contributing/trying to fight the Mordrem. A 20 stack max also means players are toxic, and trying to compete to get stacks, instead of cooperating to finish events.

-Increase map rewards to compensate. Newbies who can’t tag that many events will appreciate it, and get closer to rewards even if they play less/get fewer stacks. Combined with a cap of 10 stacks for personal rewards, this should encourage event completion and cooperation over selfish play to maximize personal payoff.

Another option is to add a SW-Vinewrath debuff- attacking one vine crawler means you can’t tag or get credit for another event until that one dies. This might allow giving karma/exp/copper for event rewards, since people won’t be able to tag tons of mobs/events, but can only get drops/rewards for one event at once.

For future iterations, consider making it more of a meta-event like Triple Trouble or Vinewrath- we defeat 30 invasions to trigger 3 main bosses, which all must be defeated within 5 minutes. Or the zones could be divided into “fronts”, with successful battles getting us closer to fighting the Mordrem commander of that front, and bonuses for winning every front. This would encourage people to divide up evenly instead of zerging, in order to trigger all events/complete the metaevent. Long series of repetitive battles is just boring- especially if I need to do it for hours to even think of getting a decent reward.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

Here’s what I posted in the other “constructive feedback” thread – cross posting here for completeness:

I’m trying to find something constructive to say here, but it’s really hard, since I feel the event is really really wrong, and for a number of reasons (all of which have been stated countless times):

• The events feel quite stale, like old bread – it’s 3 basic events that’s been done to death, so already from the start it didn’t feel very inspiring to take part. I more felt like “ok, I’ll try this once, but I sure hope there’s a decent reward”, and that’s not right – events really should be entertaining to give the “yes! I like this” feeling instead. I wish I could come up with ideas on how else to design this, but alas, I’m no game designer.
  • Due to the reward structure, it really encourages people to “tag and run”, since that’s the only readily available way to get to the 20+ that seems to be required for maximum drops. A far far better design would be to base the reward on how many events you really stayed to completion, and then lower the required number for maximum reward., possibly coupled with a count of how many events the map cleared. That would give people an incentive to stay for event completion, and also work together on getting many events done.
  • Since the events themselves, and the mobs, do not give any reward whatsoever (no XP, loot, karma, or anything) it becomes a substantial cost just to zap around to the different events, and in the end we have nothing to offset the cost. (Sure, for veterans it might not be too bad, but even so having to WP maybe 110-15 times during an event runs up to 25 silver, which may be a significant cost to many, especially the newer ones the event is supposedly for.) The events themselves should at least grant enough silver to not lose us that much money, plus some karma and a random piece of loot, blue or better – nothing fancy, just a little something.
  • The limited duration of the event, coupled with the high number of blossoms (?) required for items makes it feel really grindy if one wants a nice item. For me, it just made me walk away from the entire thing, and I have no plans whatsoever to take part in them, but for those who desperately want the items, it’s going to take a huge amount of playtime just to work these events. A possible solution here would be to either let the event run for the “usual” 2 weeks, or to make a substantial change to the cost structure for the items, such that people with less playtime could get the items.
  • If the event is really for the newer players (as has been said by many, though I personally haven’t seen that in writing), having the items cost quite a few gold on top of the very limited number of blossoms, also seems strange – a new player probably won’t have lots of gold to dish out on a vanity item. This could possibly be changed such that the cost becomes a factor of the total play time accumulated by the account? If I’ve played 10 hours, items cost 10s, while if I’ve played 5K hours they might cost 50g (just throwing numbers around here as an example)

Overall, I would recommend that you take down the event and re-think the entire structure, then come back with an event that feels more balanced.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Ideas for improvement:

• XP, Loot, Karma, Event Reward Tokens, and Gold dropping from individual enemies that are tied to the event.
  • The Event vendor should not charge gold for rewards. When they do, it can’t be considered a reward. On top of that, with no gold dropping from the enemies in said event, the vendor is relegated to being a gold sink.
  • The zones being used during an event should have dynamic events endemic to the zones cancelled during the special event so that they aren’t overlapping. It’s haphazard and makes the special events feel tacked on.
  • Rewards should be plentiful. This is the first content you have given us in 8+ months. To have it be less rewarding than the content that has been in the game for 3 years doesn’t inspire desire to participate in the new events.
  • The new AI for Heart of Thorns should be employed in the enemy design of the Mordrem spawning in the new event. You say we can’t have old events like SAB back because it doesn’t work with the new server tech and yet you fail to deploy the new tech in a new event? That’s a head scratcher at the very least.
  • There should be new loot to go along with returning loot. There are vets that have all those rewards. To go without any new playable content in this game for 8+ months and then get what is supposed to be new content and have the rewards be old rewards doesn’t inspire desire to return.
  • A boss encounter should have been included. New creature designs from HoT should have been included.
  • Champion Bags from slaying Champions should have been included.
  • A title could have been included.
  • Achievement points could have been rewarded.

This post covers all of my issues with this event, from both a veteran’s and new player’s perspective.

My only message to anet for future events, please reward players appropriately for their time. This has been stated over and over and over in player feedback for all of the events that have happened these past 3 years.

I will no longer tolerate anything less. There are many games available that handle rewarding player’s time much better than was demonstrated with this event.

Posted by: Seraxus.6403

Seraxus.6403

1.) With regards to each individual event I feel that they should be a little more tough. So mobs are harder to kill which ensures that more players can get involve in each event as i see many running around desperately trying to get a hit on even one mob before it is killed. The rewards could scale with time required to complete.

2.) The stacking is a good idea however the diminishing returns for 10 and 15 blooms is steep and I often find I couldn’t be bothers to get 10 entire stacks more to get only 5 blooms. It needs to be worth the time spend doing it.

3.) People have IRL stuff to do and this event gives the bare minimum rewards to maybe get one decent item or making the top items impossible to get if you are busy for even one of the days. ei. Rewards are very small and should probably be increased just slightly.

4.) I feel that if there was a map wide/total objective to complete in order to get extra rewards, which would cause a bit more community building instead of tagging and leaving. so completing XX amount of events over all (of course making it a challenge to achieve) would then give everyone on the map a little more motivation and an extra reward for good performance.

5.) I feel that maybe a singular event that breaks up into a few multiple events would work best. as it gets more people involved, promotes team work, less people trying to chaotically tag each event to get stacks and so just running around and killing a mob and moving to the next event which kinda makes the event lose meaning.

6.) A final BIG event could be good. right at the end of everything if an objective has been achieved by the community then a rewarding and challenging event follows at the end.

7.) Would enjoy a little more structure as it is all very chaotic and feels more like a grind fest than anything.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

indeed, magic find is a kittenin joke… spent a year increasing it to 200% (casual player here)…. still loot the same ol kitten ery day. Dont see a kitten bit o difference in loot drops. WTF is magic find for? cant be used on bags, cant be used on chests, cant be used in events… where the hell CAN you use it other then kittenty mob drops?

feels like loot is a kitten punishment in this game. Im not saying it should be handed free all the time, but but a .0001% increase is ridiculous…

Posted by: Drazio.4207

Drazio.4207

Gaile one question is it possible put the Items from the Event Vendor into the Gem Shop for reduced price or even full Price?.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think the key thing I’d say about this is that, okay, this event has not really worked out and the rewards are a bit of a mess. It would however be really good if we could get some kind of confirmation as to whether or not the Mordrem Blooms are just for this event or if we’ll see them come back around again in a future event. That would make a huge difference between being able to casually enjoy some of the events over the course of the weekend or potentially just ignoring it because the grind to get some of the rewards is excessive.

This would be a great question to get an answer to now. I’ve given up on the event now but if we knew that the blooms would be useful in future events then I’d probably do another round or two this weekend. If not then I’ll probably just cash in the blooms I have and skip the rest.

Posted by: Elias.3204

Elias.3204

My only feedback at this point would be: Good job – you’re doing EXACTLY what I would like to see you folks doing. That is, asking for feedback, fixing bugs, redesigning, moving forward, and constantly improving this game. Thanks.

Posted by: Anaktas.7390

Anaktas.7390

Add a ladder on GvG. We want ladder not esport.

P.S add a couple days on the duration of the event also.

Commander of Seafarer’s Rest.
Eternal Illumination[EB] Guild Leader.

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

I think we need to start looking at this first from the foundation with a few questions. I am in no means an expert, but this is what I am thinking.

Foundation Questions

Who is the event intended for?

• Newcomers vs Veterans
    • Do you want this to be for level 80’s?
      • Can we drop the market on a certain crafting material?
      • Can we bring back some unique skins that haven’t appeared in a while?
    • Do you want this to appeal to everyone?
    • Can FTP accounts participate?
      • Will they be able to afford the reward pricing and the travel costs?
      • Can they level from it in preparation of a new expansion or another event?

What does the event require the user to do?

• Will they have to travel through the whole map? (Do they need to use waypoints?)
    • If huge travel time – consider adding gold to compensate WP cost
    • If low travel time (small area) – gold not as important as WP cost is no longer thought of
  • Can these events be completed via solo, small group, or big zerg? Explain one versus the other
    • Can a solo person or small group do the same as a big zerg?
    • Does it require you to be in a big zerg?
    • How much should the event scale if a big zerg appears?
  • Will they clearly understand where to go and what to do?

What will be the ROI for the user compared to what already exists in the game?

• What are the Rewards?
    • Can they earn XP to level their characters?
    • Can they earn gold / karma to buy new items or skins from current in game vendors / the TP?
  • How will users get the rewards?
    • Completion by map as a whole
    • Individual Event Completion
    • Mix of Both Individual and Map-Wide
  • Does this provide an incentive compared to other current events in game
    • Halloween Maze farms are quick and enjoyable
    • Silverwastes drops a lot of material / items for users to break down or sell

What is the time frame?

• How long does the event last? (A week, few days, a month, permanent)
  • Reasonable based on the event? (drop rate)
  • Reasonable based on reward structure? (vendor pricing)

Problems: Promotion and FTP

I am not insulting FTP. It was a good move. The problem was that I believe this event was invented and developed before FTP accounts were considered based on the reward structure.

Another issue could of been the promotion of the event. First intended for Guild Recruitment and then appealing to the FTP / new players. This type of an event is not something to start a new account on.

I think a Festival like the Queen’s Gauntlet would of been a better move.

The event itself has:

• No XP / Money / Karma Gain
  • Quick events that you hope you can tag in a mindless zerg but would take too long individually
  • A reward buff that pushes the “tag event” mentality to new players to get more blooms
  • Small reward output based on time sync needed for everything in a limited timframe

If I was a new character, I would go back to the normal story or events. If you are a new non-FTP account, you get all of these Tomes and level up scrolls for a daily login. Does the XP gain in a limited event really hurt the game? Does the small amount of gold per event to help with the WP costs hurt the game?

Yes, you could walk, but you then are not getting to all of the events fast enough.

Season 1: Scarlet Invasion Comparison

From a design standpoint, I would say a good majority of people liked the Scarlet Invasions. There was a few different types of events going on in the map that scaled to how many people went there. At the start, yes, there was a champ train problem, but that was fixed. You had to spread out in the map to divide and conquer to win which results in the best rewards. This was reflected in the Battle for Lion’s Arch and the Scarlet / Assault Knight battle.

• There were elements in place that required coordination (some of it tougher than others)
  • There were elements in place that contained unique experiences compared to the rest of the game
  • There were rewards in place that allowed players to feel like it was worth the effort to participate in this event (also achievements, but that is a minor detail)
  • There were elements in place that compensated you in traveling across the map to complete the event

Improvements to Mordrem Invasion

Quick Wins

• Add XP / Karma / Mat Drops (No Champ Train)
  • Lower Vendor Pricing on Both Gold and Blooms

Crazy Concept

Idea 1:
This would take A LOT more time to implement, but when I see Mordrem Invasion, I think Silverwastes. I can see somehow taking one of the Forts or Outposts in Diessa / Brisban / Kessex and holding that from waves of enemies. Brisban I can imagine a camp down in The Gallowfields with Mordrem attacking from both directions or a Husk throwing rocks from up above.

Idea 2:
Again, A LOT more time to implement. Using Kessex as an example. There is a giant train of enemies coming from Lychcroft Mere that marches through the map to Delanian Foothills where you have a main base of operations. Think of it as the Mordrem are escorting a Dolyak and that Dolyak has a bomb.

In between those 2 points are small checkpoints you can create to slow down / kill the horde of enemies. This can be an endless supply of respawns or a large amount of enemies at a time that would eventually go down to 0. It’s an event against overwhelming odds type of scenario where you hold off until the time is up or you clear them all out.

They ignore players or some of them do to rush to the next objective. To prevent scaling, they destroy the checkpoints faster / hit harder when there are way too many players. Think of it like an “Outmanned buff” in WvW but the Mordrem get the buff.

Interaction with the World

One thing that would also take a long development cycle would be the interaction of characters in these maps already with new events that appear later.

For instance, in the Tower of Nightmares, I would of liked to see the Centaurs attacking the Toxic Alliance in some way using their siege weaponry. Another idea: there would be several events where we aided the Centaurs or they came to rescue us in a “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” scenario. To go along with that – the Quaggan could of attacked the Toxic Krait in a new events underwater by the Tower. Maybe even some of the Bandits by the shore could have an event where they request assistance.

Basically, taking the characters that are in these maps already and making them feel a bit more alive like they are dealing with the same problems the character is dealing with. The events that normally transpire can either still happen or they halt entirely because this threat is lingering.

Take that idea and apply it to the Mordrem Invasion. (Easier said than done – I know).

(edited by Outlaw.3421)

Posted by: Exile.2745

Exile.2745

It would be handy after this thread to have a follow-up post outlining the detailed changes you intend to make after this fiasco. It’s one thing saying you require feedback to address your errors but it’s quite another to show you intend to own those errors and implement the feedback, or else this thread just becomes an ANet pity party where we all list our wishes for what ANet might become. Kinda like when you blow out the candles on a birthday cake.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Most people are complaining about loot and rewards, but I could give a fig about that. I’d rather the events be fun, challenging, and have an effect on the world. Rewards should be there to supplement the MMO experience, never become the experience. I’ve posted similar thoughts years ago when you had a very similar event with Scarlet’s Invasion and much of that applies here. I will reformat it here with appropriate replacements.

Summary: I continue to be dismayed that the team that put together this promotional video is content releasing content that under utilizes the dynamic event system.

At request of Fabri the Suspicious, a suspected Order of Whispers member, Innkeeper Klement needs to retrieve dwarven artifacts from False Lake to prevent the local pirates from potentially unleashing trouble on the area. As players we dive into the lake to collect the artifacts guarded by skelk, sharks, and other dangers. Upon collecting them the Innkeeper thanks us and returns to the inn. Should you follow you’ll learn that one of the artifacts found is of Stone Summit make, an old summoning stone that should be dealt with. Unfortunately, the local pirates followed you and have other plans for the artifacts. Should they succeed, they use the artifact and get turned into incinerated husks and you as the players must defeat them to save the inn. Should the pirates fail, you are sent on an escort mission with the artifacts to Vanjir’s Stead. After successfully escorting the caravan the Asura from the priory who helped with the escort offers to aid is disposing of the summoning stone, as it is “risky business”. If you follow the asura you find out that to destroy the artifact we must kill the demon bound to it. The demon, Lord Ignis, is summoned and we as the players must defeat it to complete this chain of events successfully. Doing so spawns a new merchant.

This is an example of one of my favorite and memorable dynamic events in Guild Wars 2. It’s what I think dynamic events should be. Events that have a story, a chain of consequences that can lead an event to multiple outcomes, characters that exchange dialogue with each other to help provide exposition, characters that allow for players to interact with them to provide exposition should they have missed the story so far, changes that mean something to the world (different enemies appearing, new merchants, destroyed buildings… even a bear skin rug made me smile after helping a norn hunt a veteran arctodus). Other things I enjoy that this event doesn’t have are multiple branches that start in separate areas, but join for an epic conclusion (e.g., Ogre Wars, and now the Vinvewrath encounter). I also think events should be challenging, but that is not the point of this post.

I’d like to contrast these events with the events added in the latest release. The Mordrem Invasion does have story, but it’s largely disconnected from the invasion events, and when this event passes there will be nothing to indicate it ever happened. The invasion lacks purpose, as none is provided in zone during the event or prior to it for why the Mordrem are attacking. The only information provided is through the UI not the NPCs (except for one vendor). The Mordrem aren’t there to gather power or resources, to attack important objectives, or even to kill people (intentionally). In fact the zone acts as if they aren’t even there at all. In Dissea Plateau the charr still want you to help them shoot off fireworks for Meatoberfest despite the Mordrem appearing right outside their doorstep and the other outposts, mines, and farms carry on their day to day business despite all the horrible creatures attacking the local wildlife in their vicinity (accidentally of course). Without these elements the Mordrem Invasion comes off as meaningless… just evil for the sake of doing evil (while being highly inefficient about doing that evil). Without these elements the event lacks effect on the world both prior, during, and after the event is completed. Without these effects on the world the dynamic events in Guild Wars 2 lose what sets them above and beyond what other games offer in their versions of dynamic events, which are largely just portals opening with monsters coming through in random locations across the map. The portals must be sealed to stop the monsters. In this case the portals are plants, and the plants must be destroyed.

This is also not a problem with just this patch, but dynamic events in the prior living story releases as well. Flame and Frost had random portals appearing with dredge/flame legion that had to be sealed to stop their forces. Secret of Southsun had random champion instigators appearing without discernible reason connected to the event that had to be quelled to stop the uprisings. The Ancient Karka Queen attacks for no discernible reason, but at least summoning her is an involved, multi-step process. The Queen’s Pavillion had legendary bosses appearing with some story reason, but there was no interesting chain of events to spawn them and they are largely just loot pinatas. Dry Top continued this trend in Season 2, but thankfully many of the other events added in Season 2 had more thought and effort put into them. I’m particularly fond of The Silverwastes, though it isn’t without its problems. 1

Having some dynamic events like these is fine as filler material, but I wouldn’t make it part of major releases or events that are supposed to introduce new players to what makes GW 2’s events great. Going forward before you introduce new dynamic events, whether it be huge invasion type content or small events like hunting an arctodus so Edmund can get a new rug; I think the content creators should ask themselves:

• Does this event and surrounding environment give enough story context for why the player is performing the activity?
  • During the event, should a player arrive late; is there spoken or text dialogue that can catch a player up?
  • Are the NPCs acting appropriate to the context of the tale you are telling with the dynamic event?
  • Can the NPCs make meaningful impact on the world around them should players succeed/fail at the task at hand?
  • Does the impact have lasting effects on the surrounding area or the zone at large so that the players feel like they did something meaningful?
  • Can those effects be changed back to the previous state by player and NPC actions or are they on a timer? If the latter, try to go for the former.

The Mordrem invasion gets somethings right. It has multiple objectives that spread players out and also gets players to the old zones, but they still don’t do the activities there as the activities there are completely disconnected from the invasion. However, these successes were not made without removing much of what makes dynamic events above and beyond other game’s offerings. Basically, we traded getting new and interesting dynamic events like we had at release for the rifts from Rift.

1 -The Vinewrath encounter is a bit unintuitive. It’s weird that the Pact so easily abandons their fortifications after you win it. It’d be nice if it had a bit more of a back and forth to it, like the Straights of Devastation meta event. It’s also jarring to be suddenly evicted from the vine wrath room after killing your champion.

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

This is not a good sign for HoT….

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

The main problem with this event is that it’s not rewarding enough. It is only a 4 days event yet the rewards cost too much blooms.
You literally need to have played the whole 4 days to get your 450 blooms reward if you don’t want to grind like a zombie for hours and hours, doing nothing but running around and slaying every mordrem you encounter.

In these sorts of events, you should be able to get your rewards without necessarly playing every day for several hours.
Either keep the same system but give the players more than only 4 days, or chnage the way the players get the blooms.

For examples : you could get blooms by:

1) Doing the events as usual
2) If enough players succeed X challenge (not impossible or too kittene right?), gain Y amount of blooms
3) take flame-launchers or charrzookas and shoot at particular targets to drop blooms for everyone
4) Use the jumping puzzles and incorporate a “mordrem event” in them, like time challenges or handicaps. And when you succeed, you gain blooms
5) The more poeple you have in one group, the more blooms you’ll gain.
6) When the mordrems retreat, they scatter around blooms you can collect by running around the map.
7) creating a collection of mordrem related items you can only get if you have done the 3 maps rotation.

I’m sure you can find more ideas. The point is that you should be able to gather enough blooms by playing normally, without farming for hours a boring event as a lot of people have jobs / school and can’t play for hours everyday for 4 days…
Also, with these ideas, players could have the choice of what to do. If they don’t like to run and zerg everything, they can focus on the collection, on the jumping puzzles and so on.

Posted by: Wingmaster.6503

Wingmaster.6503

Seriously?? How does this help those, like myself, that have disconnected? We still lose all the tokens from that event. We can join the next event even if we don’t disconnect so how does this help at all? It seems that ANET is still missing the point here. No drops from mobs, little to no rewards for completing 30 mins of game play, (by no rewards I am referring to a dc at any time during the event), constant disconnects from the game, and an unattainable goal because of the limited amount of rewards. This does not make for good player moral by any standard.

I would really enjoy a lengthy discussion with a dev about some of the issues I see in this game. I know it is very unlikely that this will happen but I put it on the table and offer an open ended invitation to any that would like to join me on any TeamSpeak for a good conversation.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Please share your ideas and feedback in this thread.

What I would have preferred for rewards is to have each individual event on the map give personal reward based on bronze-silver-gold participation. Then at the end of the 30 minutes give everyone on the map that’s participated a certain amount (say 10 points, with bronze offering 1 silver offering 3 and gold offering 5) a bonus based on how many events were completed in total map-wide.

I wouldn’t care that much about the reward if the event itself was more interesting. I thought for sure it would be something cool when I went on the website and saw the story about the Mordrem Guard. But then I get in game and it’s the exact same enemies we’ve been farming for months, with some very basic mechanics that we’ve seen elsewhere in the game. It’s not special, it’s just… there. Just an excuse to give rewards, but then you don’t really give those very well either.

I missed a lot of the event content in this game , but I think back to various holiday events in GW1 and early GW2, to the events at the end of the Beta Weekends a few years ago… Then I look at this. I don’t know where the event team took a turn, but good lord did they ever.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

I think we need to start looking at this first from the foundation with a few questions. I am in no means an expert, but this is what I am thinking.

Foundation Questions

Who is the event intended for?

• Newcomers vs Veterans
    • Do you want this to be for level 80’s?
      • Can we drop the market on a certain crafting material?
      • Can we bring back some unique skins that haven’t appeared in a while?
    • Do you want this to appeal to everyone?
    • Can FTP accounts participate?
      • Will they be able to afford the reward pricing and the travel costs?
      • Can they level from it in preparation of a new expansion or another event?

What does the event require the user to do?

• Will they have to travel through the whole map? (Do they need to use waypoints?)
    • If huge travel time – consider adding gold to compensate WP cost
    • If low travel time (small area) – gold not as important as WP cost is no longer thought of
  • Can these events be completed via solo, small group, or big zerg? Explain one versus the other
    • Can a solo person or small group do the same as a big zerg?
    • Does it require you to be in a big zerg?
    • How much should the event scale if a big zerg appears?
  • Will they clearly understand where to go and what to do?

What will be the ROI for the user compared to what already exists in the game?

• What are the Rewards?
    • Can they earn XP to level their characters?
    • Can they earn gold / karma to buy new items or skins from current in game vendors / the TP?
  • How will users get the rewards?
    • Completion by map as a whole
    • Individual Event Completion
    • Mix of Both Individual and Map-Wide
  • Does this provide an incentive compared to other current events in game
    • Halloween Maze farms are quick and enjoyable
    • Silverwastes drops a lot of material / items for users to break down or sell

What is the time frame?

• How long does the event last? (A week, few days, a month, permanent)
  • Reasonable based on the event? (drop rate)
  • Reasonable based on reward structure? (vendor pricing)

Problems: Promotion and FTP

I am not insulting FTP. It was a good move. The problem was that I believe this event was invented and developed before FTP accounts were considered based on the reward structure.

Another issue could of been the promotion of the event. First intended for Guild Recruitment and then appealing to the FTP / new players. This type of an event is not something to start a new account on.

I think a Festival like the Queen’s Gauntlet would of been a better move.

The event itself has:

• No XP / Money / Karma Gain
  • Quick events that you hope you can tag in a mindless zerg but would take too long individually
  • A reward buff that pushes the “tag event” mentality to new players to get more blooms
  • Small reward output based on time sync needed for everything in a limited timframe

If I was a new character, I would go back to the normal story or events. If you are a new non-FTP account, you get all of these Tomes and level up scrolls for a daily login. Does the XP gain in a limited event really hurt the game? Does the small amount of gold per event to help with the WP costs hurt the game?

Yes, you could walk, but you then are not getting to all of the events fast enough.

Season 1: Scarlet Invasion Comparison

From a design standpoint, I would say a good majority of people liked the Scarlet Invasions. There was a few different types of events going on in the map that scaled to how many people went there. At the start, yes, there was a champ train problem, but that was fixed. You had to spread out in the map to divide and conquer to win which results in the best rewards. This was reflected in the Battle for Lion’s Arch and the Scarlet / Assault Knight battle.

• There were elements in place that required coordination (some of it tougher than others)
  • There were elements in place that contained unique experiences compared to the rest of the game
  • There were rewards in place that allowed players to feel like it was worth the effort to participate in this event (also achievements, but that is a minor detail)
  • There were elements in place that compensated you in traveling across the map to complete the event

Improvements to Mordrem Invasion

Quick Wins

• Add XP / Karma / Mat Drops (No Champ Train)
  • Lower Vendor Pricing on Both Gold and Blooms

Crazy Concept

Idea 1:
This would take A LOT more time to implement, but when I see Mordrem Invasion, I think Silverwastes. I can see somehow taking one of the Forts or Outposts in Diessa / Brisban / Kessex and holding that from waves of enemies. Brisban I can imagine a camp down in The Gallowfields with Mordrem attacking from both directions or a Husk throwing rocks from up above.

Idea 2:
Again, A LOT more time to implement. Using Kessex as an example. There is a giant train of enemies coming from Lychcroft Mere that marches through the map to Delanian Foothills where you have a main base of operations. Think of it as the Mordrem are escorting a Dolyak and that Dolyak has a bomb.

In between those 2 points are small checkpoints you can create to slow down / kill the horde of enemies. This can be an endless supply of respawns or a large amount of enemies at a time that would eventually go down to 0. It’s an event against overwhelming odds type of scenario where you hold off until the time is up or you clear them all out.

They ignore players or some of them do to rush to the next objective. To prevent scaling, they destroy the checkpoints faster / hit harder when there are way too many players. Think of it like an “Outmanned buff” in WvW but the Mordrem get the buff.

Interaction with the World

One thing that would also take a long development cycle would be the interaction of characters in these maps already with new events that appear later.

For instance, in the Tower of Nightmares, I would of liked to see the Centaurs attacking the Toxic Alliance in some way using their siege weaponry. Another idea: there would be several events where we aided the Centaurs or they came to rescue us in a “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” scenario. To go along with that – the Quaggan could of attacked the Toxic Krait in a new events underwater by the Tower. Maybe even some of the Bandits by the shore could have an event where they request assistance.

Basically, taking the characters that are in these maps already and making them feel a bit more alive like they are dealing with the same problems the character is dealing with. The events that normally transpire can either still happen or they halt entirely because this threat is lingering.

Take that idea and apply it to the Mordrem Invasion. (Easier said than done – I know).

It always appears that they do not design the game in this manner. It would appear they said, "let’s have some modrem invade, and throw in a way to get old stuff, OK all set, go…….. Oh woops can we have some suggestions please?.
Game design is in how the game plays, and the rewards that come from playing, and it appears to me that Anet has no clue what that means.

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

I can’t help but think that if you guys had continued doing the bi-weekly living story stuff, you’d have had sufficient experience in these sorts of events to avoid exactly these problems.

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

I can see why anet disabled loot from monster kills…i mean..otherwise there would be some vines that players would “lock” and harvest the endless waves of monsters that spawn.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

I can’t help but think that if you guys had continued doing the bi-weekly living story stuff, you’d have had sufficient experience in these sorts of events to avoid exactly these problems.

And I think that is something else to note too right? Expectation management of Expansion vs Living World.

A lot of people wanted an expansion. I don’t blame them. At first, a lot of people did not like the 2 week updates. I think Season 2 was a step up from that with having it unlockable and replayable and even the end of Season 1 was good.

This year has been kind of empty for lack of a better term. We had the first year and a half / 2 years getting 2 week updates all the time. In my mind, I have become a bit spoiled by it. There wasn’t a full on press for an expansion then.

Now, we have the expansion coming, and all we really did get was an improved Lion’s Arch? (Sorry if I am forgetting something)

I am not saying I am not grateful for the content that was provided and the extra features included, but things like Mordrem Invasion / Chinese New Year were just small events to keep us occupied.

It didn’t have that Living World quality. It was almost if the Living World needed to continue until the release of the expansion, but that would require a huge development effort that is very unreasonable.

Posted by: Exile.2745

Exile.2745

I can see why anet disabled loot from monster kills…i mean..otherwise there would be some vines that players would “lock” and harvest the endless waves of monsters that spawn.

As someone who has some very limited experience in programming, even I can say for certain (and I mean I’m super seriously right now you guys) it’s not at all beyond the realms of possibility to anticipate for this and build in ways so that this cannot occur. This level of pre-planning has simply not occured and it’s just not acceptable for what is a paid product. Instead of doing the hard work of writing to code to stop people abusing the event they went with the “rotten apple” principle and just removed rewards. It’s lazy and it’s unfair for the players of the game. I know I probably sound really preachy but this is basic stuff.

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

I just finished Kessex Hills. I made sure and checked and I had 9 stacks, we ran out of time on the last one or I would have had 10. I didn’t put the effort into it that some are, I wasn’t tagging and running. I got 5 blooms, that’s it, one chest of 5. That is the 3rd time today that I did an entire zone, was there for the entire time and had stacks of at least 9-10 and got only 5 blooms.

There were things that I wanted to buy with those blooms but I am not going to spend 24 hours a day for the next 3 days trying to get enough blooms. In my opinion this event is an epic failure.

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

Ideas for improvement:

• XP, Loot, Karma, Event Reward Tokens, and Gold dropping from individual enemies that are tied to the event.
  • The Event vendor should not charge gold for rewards. When they do, it can’t be considered a reward. On top of that, with no gold dropping from the enemies in said event, the vendor is relegated to being a gold sink.
  • The zones being used during an event should have dynamic events endemic to the zones cancelled during the special event so that they aren’t overlapping. It’s haphazard and makes the special events feel tacked on.
  • Rewards should be plentiful. This is the first content you have given us in 8+ months. To have it be less rewarding than the content that has been in the game for 3 years doesn’t inspire desire to participate in the new events.
  • The new AI for Heart of Thorns should be employed in the enemy design of the Mordrem spawning in the new event. You say we can’t have old events like SAB back because it doesn’t work with the new server tech and yet you fail to deploy the new tech in a new event? That’s a head scratcher at the very least.
  • There should be new loot to go along with returning loot. There are vets that have all those rewards. To go without any new playable content in this game for 8+ months and then get what is supposed to be new content and have the rewards be old rewards doesn’t inspire desire to return.
  • A boss encounter should have been included. New creature designs from HoT should have been included.
  • Champion Bags from slaying Champions should have been included.
  • A title could have been included.
  • Achievement points could have been rewarded.

This covers all of my complaints.

If the events are in low-leveled zones, make it as good as or better than regular leveling for new players. This includes all regular rewards from events and enemy drops included with doing the event. From a lvl 80 perspective, why would I farm these events when I could farm so much better almost anywhere else?

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Drazio.4207

Drazio.4207

I just finished Kessex Hills. I made sure and checked and I had 9 stacks, we ran out of time on the last one or I would have had 10. I didn’t put the effort into it that some are, I wasn’t tagging and running. I got 5 blooms, that’s it, one chest of 5. That is the 3rd time today that I did an entire zone, was there for the entire time and had stacks of at least 9-10 and got only 5 blooms.

There were things that I wanted to buy with those blooms but I am not going to spend 24 hours a day for the next 3 days trying to get enough blooms. In my opinion this event is an epic failure.

Thats why i think they should cancel the event and put the items into the gem or laurel shop.

Posted by: rSwitch.4563

rSwitch.4563

i wonder how much arenanet actually tested this considering they somehow didn’t notice they made the vinecrawler spawners’ bodies immune to bombs but not the ground around them

(edited by rSwitch.4563)

Posted by: daray.2954

daray.2954

It’s frustrating to be part of a large group, only to have 75% of that group (following a commander) suddenly take off, leaving the last 10 or so players in the red circled area to finish up the last 25-50%. This results in multiple deaths, and in last night’s case, at least 5 silver to teleport back to the nearest waypoint, run back down, to help the remaining players try to finish it up.

This happened last night, and because the majority of the group took off after getting in a handful of kills, the 1/2 hour timer ended, that individual event failed, wasting game money and time (really could’ve run off to do another 2-3 events in the time it took to try to clean up that last one.). Multiple wipes to full death for those that stuck it out to try to finish it up.

i have made the the same experience. it seems to be the way most people want to play to get most out of this event but it’s frustrating and a far cry from what i expect from playing a game.

Posted by: Sefja.4807

Sefja.4807

Disconnects are a really frustrating problem, because you lose all your events stacks and don’t get any rewards.
How about this solution for future events? A player, who disconnects/goes offline, has about 10 min. (or similar) to relog until these events stacks expire (same solution could be applied to the magic find stacks in the silverwastes).

Posted by: Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

For the first time in a long time, I’m pretty unhappy with the state of the game. As in, ‘should I keep playing?’ unhappy. I know your resources are ‘dedicated’ to working on HoT, but rewards are basic mechanics that you guys improved upon in the dry top and silver waste segments. If temp events for HoT are going to be as backwards as this, I will not waste my time.

Before I push on let me clarify something. As a person who bought both the scarlet and toxic armors, I’m not at all offended that you made them obtainable for other players. I’ve had them FOR MONTHS. I’ve show boated and enjoyed them long enough. Other players being able to earn them through team based (or god forbid guild based) content is awesome, not detrimental to me. The problem I have is that for most players who work on weekends (myself included), the rewards of this track become essentially too little for too much time to farm. Why would I touch this stupid event when I can go make gold to gems, and it gives no karma or xp that I can farm on my alts?

Everyone in here has echoed some amazing comments about how to make the event better. In short i echo the agreement that champs should drop single blooms, completing each individual event should award between 2-5 based on how many events you’ve COMPLETED. Not tagged and run off to tag more. Maps should have a success/failure based mechanic to either reward or introduce additional challenges for a failure. Map based success should be the twenty bloom drop, NOT as a daily.

Furthermore there should have been achievements attached to this. It may seem small but even with crappy rewards achievement points would have given me a reason to farm it.

Finally: Stop dropping the kitten ball on ‘guild’ events. We haven’t had real guild based content updates, and this was advertised in that light. For god’s sake the game is called ‘Guild Wars 2,’ ADD SOME INCENTIVE FOR GUILDS TO DO THESE TEMPORARY EVENTS. Or at least don’t bloody advertise it as something that guilds would want to recruit for, then have the content offer NOTHING guild related. As it stands the only ‘recruitment’ guild should be doing at this moment is recruiting people to do LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE IN THE GAME.

I apologize if this comes off completely gruff, but asking for the communities guidance on this gave 5 pages of ideas that should have been on the drawing board day 1. It’s the equivalent of my 7 year old pretending he can’t read if only to make me do it for him. Don’t use free to play as an excuse on this either. Free to play individuals should be able to have fun with the game and not used as an excuse for why to make things empty for a hollow grind.

EDIT: Oh one more thing. If you changed the type of boon given from the event to the same type as the temporary buffs (you know, xp/crafting/call of the mists type thing) THEY WOULD STILL WORK IF PEOPLE GOT DISCONNECTED. It’d probably take some coding work but why not use something that is ALREADY IN THE GAME ENGINE to fix the problem?

(edited by Shadow Dragon Bob.7160)

Posted by: Agrotera.1254

Agrotera.1254

It’s frustrating to be part of a large group, only to have 75% of that group (following a commander) suddenly take off, leaving the last 10 or so players in the red circled area to finish up the last 25-50%. This results in multiple deaths, and in last night’s case, at least 5 silver to teleport back to the nearest waypoint, run back down, to help the remaining players try to finish it up.

This happened last night, and because the majority of the group took off after getting in a handful of kills, the 1/2 hour timer ended, that individual event failed, wasting game money and time (really could’ve run off to do another 2-3 events in the time it took to try to clean up that last one.). Multiple wipes to full death for those that stuck it out to try to finish it up.

i have made the the same experience. it seems to be the way most people want to play to get most out of this event but it’s frustrating and a far cry from what i expect from playing a game.

Call me selfish but if 75% of your group ran off and left you then run right behind them. Why should you stay, and die numerous times, just to finish the event for them so that they get credit? Let it fail, go find another one to do. While you are at it I would find another group.

you can’t fix stupid

Posted by: Xhex.9728

Xhex.9728

I have a question regarding the rewards from yesterday. While I know I will receive them within the next days, I wanted to know approximately how much I can expect. (Need to organize my day to get enough tokens afterall).
So do we get “all” bonus chests from every map plus the ones we were not credited for, or “just” the bonus + regular reward in what we participated in?

I am asking because I did not receive anything at the very first event and as (as far as I remember) you guys never retroactively rewarded us (apart from Karka 2012 iirc) I did not expect to get anything and hence would not want to play the bugged event, therefore “left” out the rewards you now would give us.

Keep up your good work and spirit

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Can we get an explanation as to why this event can’t be changed in any way? I mean it was coded in in the first place. . . what stops from it being edited what so ever?

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

This event sucks so much even the devs don’t want to play it with us cries

2 Minute long laugh from this one, thanks for keeping constructive!

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

I’m sorry if my answer wasn’t clear. The devs are looking into a way to prevent people from losing rewards when they disconnect in the middle of an event. It is not possible to make changes to this event, but the information gained through player reports will help us address problems in the game and prevent them in the future.

Ok thanks for clearing it up – good for the game – bad for this particular event though.

I just wanted another chance at the second Toxic item – I mean this is serious, my Asura Necro in currently on a bender in some dodgy Charr Tavern because she will NOT step out unless she is matchy matchy.

Throw us a bone!