Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

To me the biggest complaint is simply the disconnects. I don’t have much in the way of lag problems, and well the event design has flaws but I’ve seen worse. There was a rewards bug but you have made a commitment to correct that problem.

The disconnects (I have had 4 today) are the worst. It speaks of something that simply has not undergone an adequate software QC process. Something you just cannot have in a limited time event like this. It is absolutely enraging to have a good stack disappear and when logging back in find yourself in a sparsely populated overflow instance knowing you either have to work twice as hard to recover the loss.

Four disconnects in one day equals the total disconnects I’ve had in the previous play I’ve had in this game, some 1500 hours or so. It is really that bad.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m not one to usually demand gifts from failed content or whatever, but I truly think y’all should consider sending each account one token that allows them to buy one item of their choosing from the vendor.

This event was so poorly designed in every aspect of the reward part that I considered it unplayable. It was so poorly done that the game’s reputation for designing events took a hit and I was left scratching my head as to how in the world did this get past quality control and the accumulated knowledge of how to set things up properly that y’all should have gained over these last 3 years.

Seriously, y’all need more than an acknowledgement on the forum that you goofed. There were so many people who weren’t able to get what they wanted because of the reward set up or who walked away from this event because they refused to grind like a crazy person in their “fun time.” A good way to repair fences would be to let each account get one of the rewards.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mikah.4510

Mikah.4510

The ONE thing yall could do to make this right is extend the event by a week. ONE thing and it would begin to make it fair. And ya can’t even do that. If this was supposed to draw in vets, it’s having the opposite effect.

Posted by: Sarif.1827

Sarif.1827

Suggestions:
1: Reward Tiers should be based on Zone Event Completion, Not some buff applied to each person (This has led to massive “Tag and Run” zergs and would fix this in the same breath.)

2: Lower the “Time to Reward” ratio… a great deal of people are rather unhappy about having to give up our entire weekend just to grind for the Pots. As of this posting, I still have over 8 hours left just to get one of the pots.

3: Stop with the “Southsun” Syndrome the Events Team seems to have… Small Time Frames plus Massive Grind in laggy zone servers does not equal a good time, nor does it help generate good interest in the game. This event reminds me of the first Halloween and Southsun events, which has/does/is hurting the game.

4: Host more events that bring back old Currencies (SAB anyone?) so that people holding on to old things don’t feel like it was a waste of time (Which this event has quickly become.)

5: Make a Lesson’s Learned Book and have it read, out loud, before the event teams begins to make anything more. Really… this event is a major step back for this game, and I’m (and others) quite disappointed by it.

I tried to get people in the guild to get back on to play with me in the event, and after explaining the event and the rewards, I got zero interest.

Leader and Founder of the Shattered Sky Community.
Guild Leader of Covenant of the First Flame [Soul].

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

~snip~

I think you guys get it, and I understand that some of you are pretty “hot under the collar” about the event. But please try to give us ideas we can work with — that’s to everyone’s benefit.

I think the problem is that some people are “hot under the collar” because a player base (at least I feel) should not have to give you ideas you can work with during a live event. This should have all been done before; because the devs I’m sure didn’t just wake up, get into the office early, and throw all this together on a whim.

The idea of minimal participation/grind rewards was exactly working as intended, and it’s this initial intent that some of the players hate. To come out after and say “we didn’t realise” shows or implies to some a lack of homework on the expectations of customers or a lack of interest/research into the way players act during events like this.

This alongside the HoT release problems a while back seems to show a systemic issue with checking expectations ( and bugs :P ) before release.

I hope it can do better in future.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Thanks for the candor and update, Gaile. This is what I expect from professional customer service.

Many of us HAVE posted direct solutions and suggestions. Perhaps addressing those would alleviate much of the frustration, and put proof to your assertion that ANet is listening.

(edited by Sytherek.7689)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Suggestions:
1: Reward Tiers should be based on Zone Event Completion, Not some buff applied to each person (This has led to massive “Tag and Run” zergs and would fix this in the same breath.)

Should they really?

The question is… What did you actually complete? The entire event is just a zerg event. You completed nothing.

No, I think reward should be individual per event, not related to the zone event at all. And each event have multiple stages.

Invasion Phase (xp/loot)
This is the “zerg” event where mobs spawn and try to kill you. You kill them. Of course scale with player counts. Mobs give loot and xp, just like any normal event. There would be 3-5 of these active on the map at once. It ends on a kill threshhold or whatever. This phase could be as complicated as the devs want (like, instead of pure killing, use catapults to kill a plant which then start the boss phase).

Boss Phase (actual event award)
When the invasion phase is completed, the big bad boss spawns. You kill him and get the relevant event award in a chest where he died (like normal champions). This would give the blooms for example.

And then you go to the next event and do it again, until the zone invasion event ends.

Is this really so hard? Its what GW2 have already done in the past. Its already perfect. No need to reinvent the wheel (and fail horribly at it). No kitten tagging – if you dont get the champ chest at the end, you dont get event relevant award.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: skillze.7689

skillze.7689

how to improve this event, make players get one buff that can go into negative time if they dont complete events (to stop afking), make the map get rewards the same for all players if the event completed reach the amount needed to get a reward or more if you get extra events done in the time limit.

all rewards should be equal for everyone in the map for players who do not have negative time buff on the player each event completed should add a small amount back onto the buff timer bronze should only add very small durations upto gold adding the correct amount to balance out the average it would take to stay just above the negative buff amount so you will get the end reward

(edited by skillze.7689)

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

Hello,

I asked the head of the GW2 Design Team about whether we would be making changes and rerunning it, extending it, or repeating it as it currently is designed. At this time, we are not going to extend the event, nor do we have plans at this time to repeat it, either amended or in its current form.

The Mordrem Invasion event will run through its allotted time. It ends at 9:00 AM tomorrow, Monday. As explained in my earlier thread, no changes will be made to the event beyond the fixes that were made on Thursday and, of course, the distribution of earned rewards for those who were impacted by that bug. (The bug ran from 9:00 AM until about 4:00 PM Pacific time. If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I hope this info is helpful to you. And thanks to those of you who provided constructive suggestions about the event — your thoughts are very appreciated. What’s constructive: “Rewards might be [this]” or “I like the rewards in [that] and suggest you adopt that system for this sort of event.” What’s not constructive: “Rewards are bad” (with absolutely no suggestions for how they might be improved).

I think you guys get it, and I understand that some of you are pretty “hot under the collar” about the event. But please try to give us ideas we can work with — that’s to everyone’s benefit.

Will we be getting the Daily chests handed out to us since the bug happened before the reset? This would be important to know for a lot of people’s calculations on how many blooms they need to farm before the event ends.

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

Instead, we’re going to continue to monitor for your feedback and collect information that will help us improve on these types of events going forward.

- Play test events internally from now on.

- Don’t recycle content with different colored skins and say it’s new.

- Stop adding content that can be mindlessly zerg’d. Waypoint hopping and blitzkrieg game play is novel at best. Anet wants to make the claim to challenge MMO content, then stop adding face roll events. A lot of us got tired of that from Blizzard.

- If you do add face roll content, then give us exp and loot from the mobs, not make us wait an hour for piddle-d!ck loot.

Posted by: Tormance.6387

Tormance.6387

What’s the point of offering specific suggestions as a way to improve this event when there are no plans to change it or repeat it?

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

What’s the point of offering specific suggestions as a way to improve this event when there are no plans to change it or repeat it?

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

For upcoming events maybe – and I hope there will be more invasion events.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I just found the most annoying — albeit funny — place for the mordy crier/nuisance in LA to stand. Right on the spot where the kodan merchant is.

I wonder how many other people gave up on this event before the weekend even started and are looking forward to it ending?

Posted by: Gregory Rocha.1364

Gregory Rocha.1364

So… I currently have 210 Blooms… I lost the first dailies… I still have 2 more to do, that would gave me 270 ‘till the reset…
Correct if I’m wrong. The 3 events chains, last for 3 hours: 30 minutes of the event in each area, plus 30 minutes break. And 1 hour of a break for the next chain… So… That would be 4 hours each chain of 3 events plus the break for the next… Yeah, ok… If you work, and study. You actually will have the max of 3 ~ 4 hours to play, tops! Like I do, and that because it’s weekend. Ok, cool! You gain nothing doing the event, just the blooms, mobs don’t drop anything, you get angry, and alot of strees and anxiety to not lose any event, so you can get many Mordrem Buff as possible for a better reward of 15 Blooms, at each chain…
I’ll have to work tomorrow, and go to the university, as a lot of person will have to do so too, I’m sure… After the daily reset, I would have to spend 3 hours to do the daily for more 90 or 105 blooms tops… I would probably end even more streesed and workout, ‘cuz a worked all day already and all weekend, and again, I’m sure I’m not alone here…
I play Guild Wars 2 since the launch, since the Betas, I pre-ordered when you guys posted it, now I pre-ordered the HoT expansion too, because Anet had in Guild Wars 1, such great events, you guys always gave us time to do things, everyone had a chance, people who worked, who wanted some time to enjoy the game, have fun with other players and friends, in Guild Wars 2, it was the same at the beggining, i got some friends to play, ‘cuz it was so cool! So fun!
Now… Just for my surprise… 1 month before the release of the expasion, you guys decide to do a 3 days event… With items many players wanted, like the toxic gloves, shoulders… And whatnot the epic Selfless Potions, that I lost because I had some issues at the time of Scarlet Invasion. So… I thought I lost my chance… then you guys go… And do that wonderful event… But I have to work… And you guys have a wonderful idea of a 3 ~ 4 hours event chain that give you 105 tokens daily, and 45 tokens at every 3 ~ 4 hours after the daily bonus… So… 7 hours of farm 150 tokens…? Okay pretty hard core for a event that don’t give any other thing than the box that you get with the 20 tokens in the daily bonus (the only good thing about the event, because the rewards are good, its a small chance, but still good), now… What was the intention of that event? Seeing how hardcore your players were? Like making us losing 7 hours of our day to just get 150 tokens?? Considering the event had 3 to 4 days of duration, if we spend those 7 hours in 3 days we could get one potion, and another reward, like a mini-pet or some extra boxes…? I don’t know why you guys gave us false hope to get something we wanted, atleast in my case, but that event was pretty poorly designed, I can’t give any “good” feedback, because it was to cruel for some players, It’s not because it’s weekend that we have that amount of time to play. I really got very sad with Anet lately, I really loved your first game, and Guild Wars 2, that’s why I still play… But that… I know you guys are working hard at ending the HoT, but if you don’t have enough time to do something, like a good event that can give all players the SAME chance… Don’t do it… Please? But yeah… Alot of haters and trolls will badmouth me later, will say I’m a crybaby or whatever… I really don’t care, and I know the world is not fair… But you guys always gave us the same chance… That’s why I got so sad with that event… Maybe my math is just not good enough, but yeah… Do what, now I will have to be glad to get 360 blooms, because I’m seriously not losing a day of work and 11 hours to farm anothers 90 blooms.
But yeah… Thanks for all the good events you did before, but that event sucked, really, really bad.
Have a wonderful day… ^^

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

Still hasnt been updated by forum, or by customer support.

If i did the event prior to 5pm on thursday, do I get the daily rewards, or just the missing blooms from not getting the correct amount? It would save me 3 runs, of an event I don’t want to continue doing, but feel like it’s my only chance to get toxic gloves.

Posted by: Cyrus.4105

Cyrus.4105

Hello,

I asked the head of the GW2 Design Team about whether we would be making changes and rerunning it, extending it, or repeating it as it currently is designed. At this time, we are not going to extend the event, nor do we have plans at this time to repeat it, either amended or in its current form.

So development time (albeit a significantly low amount, which shows) went into creating an event that was never intended to return? What was the big deal in 2013/14 about ensuring that any events added to the game will be rolled out in the anticipation of returning, in order to fill out the ingame calendar with a roster of interesting and varied activities?

This was the first and ONLY bit of content we’ve gotten in 2015 outside of the completion of S2 (which, if it weren’t for the massive break at the end of 2014, kinda would’ve happened then) and the redesigned LA. Those things were good and fun, but people were right to wonder where the Crown Pavilion events were, where Dragon Bash went, etc.

The event was subpar, everybody knew that, but I think a significant number of the current defenders of the Mordrem Invasion have been doing so with the assumption that there’d be an opportunity in the future for ANet to bring it back later in a much better state, as you’ve done before with the Gauntlet and such. Hell, even the Toxic Offshoot events are still appearing every now and then, going strong just short of two years after becoming irrelevant to the story.

I’m addressing ANet as a whole as the “you” in this, Gaile, so please don’t assume I’m lumping criticism upon your head as well. I’m grateful for your interactions with the community and I respect that you aren’t a person who’s directly able to act upon my suggestion.

That said: I’d urge that you reconsider this event not returning. You’re already leaving the NPCs up, there’s little reason to leave them running at uncommon intervals throughout HoT. Even Scarlets Invasions from Clockwork Chaos continued to run for months after they officially “ended”, Toxic Offshoot events still take place. You finally added a proper way to distribute skins and minis that previously were sitting on the gem store EXCLUSIVELY, and it’s sat behind a full weekend of grinding events that are ultimately unfun, unrewarding, and due to the time-gated nature of their existence encourage people to tag events and run in order to try and eke the most mileage out of the few days we’ve had.

That’s gameplay counterproductive to the manifesto you presented to us a long, long time ago, and whilst sweeping it under the rug and eventually pretending it never happened is one way to handle this backlash, another is to take the words of the community to heart. All this time we’ve felt like our words are falling on deaf ears, the only intervention taking place at the very start when the event was literally so broken people didn’t even get rewards.

People have issue with these unrewarding events (which also, by the way, have no value in terms of karma, XP, or even silver coins) reward you with a pitiful number of blooms, and are then expecting to shell out GOLD to spend these blooms! An event which has nearly zero income associated with it expects me to spend my gold (earned elsewhere, obviously) to try and get SOME sort of reward from my time invested into these invasions? What? Although I know it’s the nature of MMO communities to whine about their porridge not being how they like it, this is one instance where I feel that shrugging it all off as such is going to be a very, very negative thing.

But hey I’ve already bought HoT Ultimate Edition some months ago, so feel free to just gloss over my post. You’ve already got my money after all.

Cyrus Neveris – Watchers of the Vale [WoV]

(edited by Cyrus.4105)

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

Here’s a suggestion: design events that at least match the rewards we’d get if we spent the same amount of time farming the Silver Wastes. I’m sure it is still possible to give everyone who participated some form of reward for doing so beyond the paltry blooms we earned.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

What i dont understand is:
There have been so many wonderful events where the event system and reward system where fine. Queens Jubilee, Halloween, Wintersday, Zhepherite Sanctum for example.Of course there are Always exploiters, that is something what will never change in any online game regretably, its in their nature. But nerfing is never the right solution, it only hurts the fair gamers. The event felt like a Unhealthy Grind to me, so i never looked back after the first day.

Posted by: Xainou.1502

Xainou.1502

The way this event was handled just makes me very sad and mad. Please rethink your decision there, Anet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who didn’t farm their behind off on the first day, being left in the dark about the actual rewards. And now in the end, despite doing all the dailies and some extras on top, I won’t be able to get the single reward that I want. Nor do I remember how much blossoms I missed the first day. Meh.

I’m sure noone expected the rewards to be so low, and considering you didn’t want to fix that, please give us another way to get the rewards we farmed for.

Posted by: scath.9814

scath.9814

Event isn’t coming back, but will Blooms? (sorry if this has been addressed, redirected here from Reddit and haven’t seen this anywhere)

Spend em or keep em?

“You ever wonder why we’re here?”

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

How about turning off the events of the map being invaded, so that way we don’t have to deal with the Toxic mobs nearby for example.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Bianca.8943

Bianca.8943

Well on top of playing while it was bugged and not receiving a good amount of rewards, i’ve disconnected about 5 or more times now with the error saying “client lost connection to server etc.” and as a result lost all my stacks that would’ve resulted in an additional amount of rewards I should’ve received. I’m sure i’m not the only who this has happened too, will there be compensation for that as well?

Posted by: Eyvindr.9327

Eyvindr.9327

Thank you for the information.

I know that I’m in the minority but I like the reward system of Mordrem Invasion. I think the amount of rewards and item prices were calculated pretty nicely in comparison to how some of them were obtainable in the past.

That is of course if we take into account that players would be able to obtain 5 daily bonuses for each map. 5 days of daily map bonus plus let’s say 10 events gives 450 blossoms which is quite nice. The main issue for me were obviously bugged rewards during the first evening. I saw that they are bugged so I went to bed, so I will be compensated with only one daily boost.

If you plan to do more events with similar style of temporary implementation maybe try to give us exact information about rewards and how to obtain them so that we can do some math and see what we can farm for. And obviously try to implement it without bugs since the duration is quite short For players with less play time maybe you can do shorter wait times between events, maybe like 10 minutes of wait time + 30 minutes of event with larger pauses between invasions. I know it is difficult to fine tune this so that everyone is happy but I’ve heard many complaints about big downtimes.

EDIT: And also somehow fix the reward buff so that we can maybe go offline or change maps. I didn’t mind the port and tag event strategy even though a lot of players think it doesn’t really support group play.

(edited by Eyvindr.9327)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Yes, Jana, correct. We’re actively reading and participating in this thread to let players know we understand they have concerns about the event, to gather as much consensus about the concerns as possible, and to use that information to plan future events.

It’s interesting to read the feedback as whole. While some things leap out as a general piece of feedback that seems very broadly felt — and it’s really good for us to know this info — others seem very individual.

Lag or disconnects, for instance, have been tracked and reviewed by the network team, and no pattern has yet been found. Someone at one location may have perfect ping, and someone else in the house next door may have lag. The team is investigating each ticket but please note that forum posts don’t help, so please submit a ticket. The specific instances I’ve read about today in network team e-mails point to the customer’s ISP. (This is data from a traceroute, which is solid, impartial data.) Now, that’s not to say that every instance is a result of ISP issues, but again, the lag and the event do not seem connected and a ticket is the only way for us to figure it out, or help you figure it out.

Back to the broader topic: We’ll continue to read the constructive posts and to use your suggestions to the benefit of future event planning.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Naeleen.7601

Naeleen.7601

Basically there are various reasons a lot of players have been greatly disappointed by this event. Having discuss this with my guild and friends, here are some conclusions and feedback that were gathered up:
- The event was set to last for a very very short time frame; it is possibly the quickest event of this type we had in Guild Wars 2 thus far.
- Given the frequency of the events cycle and the rewards available, one would have to endlessly grind these events non-stop day and night, and still would not be able to acquire all available rewards.
- The invasion events were announced as a way to introduce new players to co-op map-wide world events, help said new players find a guild to join, and guilds to recruit more members likewise. Unfortunately, the way this ended up to be, tagging 1-2 mobs and teleporting away just to get credit for the event completion and increase your stacks buff… I do not think it’s a very productive way of introducing map-wide world event content to new players.
- Still focusing on what a new player should earn from these events: mobs did not grant experience, nor loot. Event completion did not grant karma, experience, coins. Really, really repelling for players who still try to learn the game; I was disappointed to see Lv 16-19 players laying dead and asking for help, while everyone (including myself sometimes, I shamelessly admit) were ignoring them because… stacks must be earned.
- No one is perfect, that includes machines and game servers. We all have experienced that random kick from the server (sometimes even without experiencing any minor or major lag spike at all). It was extremely disappointing to see friends and guildies losing 20+ stacks because of client crashes, their internet connection loss, or the worst… unfairly kicked for no obvious reason from the game. This system is highly punishing and totally negates time spent on events which are supposed to be, and are, fun, but instead are converted to frustration and anger (i..e. “Oh #(!*#(!@! I lost my stacks and only 1-2 minutes remaining until the time is up, great…”)
- Map-wide events are fun and entertaining, until they are spread across the whole map AND require your personal contribution in most (if not all) of them. Tagging 1-2 mobs, running out of combat, teleporting, loading…loading…loading…, running to next ev… oh it’s already completed :/, teleporting elsewhere, running to the next event, tagging 1-2 mobs, and so on. You probably realize something is not working well

How such events should be:
- Each individual event should give minor rewards upon completion (see Silverwastes, Dry Top, etc.). This greatly decreases any amount of frustration caused by random client crashes, diconnections etc., because the player at least earned something prior to getting thrown out of the instance.
- Slain monsters should always give experience and have a chance to drop loot/coins. I believe a vast majority of players hated Silverwastes events, for example, because mobs would not drop any loot, hence we ended up seeing LFG getting flooded with “SW 50%-90%” groups. Barely anyone wants to bother building up the progress until it’s Breach/Vinewrath time. So yea, please design events with mobs dropping loot.
- Design a map instance player slot reservation system, which will preserve the position of a disconnected player on that same instance for X amount of minutes (I think 5 minutes is a fair amount of time to regain connection and log back in the game), also preserving any possible buffs and stacks the player has earned thus far. However, manual teleportation outside of the map, visiting PvP, WvW, Home instance, Hall of Monuments area, should automatically remove that player from the “reserved instance slot”, to avoid any kind of exploitation. Players will love you so much for this feature!
- Events spawning across the whole map is a nice thing, as long as a player’s attention is not required in every single one of said events. It’s much more fun if the map is divided in let’s say… 8-12 smaller areas, each spawning 3-4 events around said areas, so players just run around from event to event without having to teleport and well, sadly, literally “stealing” event completion from those whose loading times are longer. Best example of this would be how Dry Top organized runs work; groups of players are spread around the map and complete events in a certain order for maximum efficiency and rewards.

I hope this feedback helped thank you for reading.

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

This event could be infinitely better with a few simple changes:

- We earn extra blooms by the amount of events finished in the map. Over the 10~ or so times I’ve done it, the average of events was 30~ or so. People would actually try to finish them instead of just tagging since everyone wins that way. AFKers would still exist, but if they did that… that’s less rewards for them anyway. This would also reduce the amount to grind (it’s repetitive, and it’s even worse since it’s kinda boring) for the rewards.

- Mobs may not drop loot just like the Silverwastes ones, but they should at least give exp. Everyone would play along even with their low level characters since they’ll be getting something at least. Currently, it’s an event aimed only for the 80s with all the waypoints for more blooms and that punishes lower levels.

That said, it could also be improved by removing what makes it bad in the first place:
- Too grindy
- Map-wide rewarding those willing to WP everywhere
- No rewards per mob killed or event completed
- No exp per mob killed or event completed
- Personal benefit over group benefit
- Unchallenging, repetitive, uninteresting

Posted by: Realizer.6120

Realizer.6120

This really is quite sad, I feel bad that Gaile has to be the one reading all these posts. It’s not her monumental fail. It’s game devs mistake, the bad part is they are handling it like politicians. In a nutshell admitting they can’t handle game wide events, and forcing Gaile to read through all these comments, knowing she can’t do anything about game devs being blind.

Posted by: Bioectomy.9217

Bioectomy.9217

It felt like I was being actively punished for daring to fight the Mordrem rather than bopping them on the nose and running to bop their friends down the street, but that’s a feeling that’s been talked to death.

The tempo of reward versus time felt so slow that most people I talked to gave up after the blossom rewards were fixed and they realized just how staggering the grind was for so small of a carrot as some old cash shop skins. This does not mean the rewards need to be better, it means the rewards need to be easier to obtain. I don’t feel like there’s a way to maintain some delusion of inflated ‘value’ on returning items that were part of older content cycles while simultaneously not angering people who might want to try farming for them from the current event, whatever it may be.

The idea of a stacking buff should probably be rewarded from being at the event upon completion rather than just from tagging it, though I don’t know how feasible that would be. Even then, the idea seems flawed, and while it may have been dreamed up as a way to reward players, I can’t imagine it not coming off as feeling like a punishment for those with low stacks instead. But, if the stacking mechanic must remain, it has to be a smooth curve, not a tiered reward so that you end up with 19 stacks and feel frustrated that you only got what you ended up with.

Put. Loot. On. Mobs. This is not a thing that can be debated or discussed, as long as mobs do not have loot, as long as there is no tangible reward beyond some event currency, as long as this temporary event is MAGNITUDES less profitable to run for veterans than whatever the default farm is, people will be upset. It’s a temporary event, it’s allowed to be a little crazy.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

I just think the reasonable thing to do would have been/would be to extend the event – revisit it before HOT or do a different event that uses Blossoms as currency with the same rewards.

Yes all the pages of ideas we have given are useful for future events but come on guys and gals – the event didn’t even work for the first day!

Many people like me either logged in and did an event or two got nothing and left or went to the forum saw nothing saying it had been fixed until the middle of the night UK time and had to start the next day – there was nothing around online saying you had to do different maps for the bonus either – even Dulfy was utterly confused.

I simply cant make 450 for the shoulders and gloves in time – I would have been able to ( with a kitten lot of grinding) if the event had run properly from the get go. So now I will have the shoulders for my several hours farming every day which is nice but not the other item and many many people who really were after the selfless will not make it either.

And then I will have a load of blossoms sitting in my bank that I don’t know if I will get a chance to use – so it would be nice if you could at least make sure there are more opportunities to get more blossoms and it would have been really good if you have not let people farm thee event thinking a solution would be put in place when it wasn’t clarifies until only a few hours before the end of the event…

Posted by: GeezerGan.8120

GeezerGan.8120

The event was a bit short. We can all attest to that. Whether that’s a good or bad thing, I’m not sure.

The amount of bloom rewards were fine. GW2 players are just too used to grinding events that will allow them to purchase ALL the rewards offered by event vendors and I feel like some players are upset that this is not the case with the Mordrem invasion event. Personally I’m completely fine with events like these that offer limited rewards during a limited time.

The initial reward bug was unfortunate but it happens, right? The issue was addressed and rectified quickly and players retroactively awarded blooms. That’s great.

Event mobs not dropping loot and event completion not awarding karma was a bit discouraging. Maybe reduced amount of karma and loot drop could be awarded if ANet feels like it might affect the economy.

My biggest gripe was how the event encouraged tagging and running to obtain the largest stack of defender buff. This was a big NO-NO in a game like GW2 where acts of helping each other and cooperating are rewarded.

Overall, the event was more than fine for a limited time event, but the tagging and running nature of it all really turned me off.

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

Yes, Jana, correct. We’re actively reading and participating in this thread to let players know we understand they have concerns about the event, to gather as much consensus about the concerns as possible, and to use that information to plan future events.

It’s interesting to read the feedback as whole. While some things leap out as a general piece of feedback that seems very broadly felt — and it’s really good for us to know this info — others seem very individual.

Lag or disconnects, for instance, have been tracked and reviewed by the network team, and no pattern has yet been found. Someone at one location may have perfect ping, and someone else in the house next door may have lag. The team is investigating each ticket but please note that forum posts don’t help, so please submit a ticket. The specific instances I’ve read about today in network team e-mails point to the customer’s ISP. (This is data from a traceroute, which is solid, impartial data.) Now, that’s not to say that every instance is a result of ISP issues, but again, the lag and the event do not seem connected and a ticket is the only way for us to figure it out, or help you figure it out.

Back to the broader topic: We’ll continue to read the constructive posts and to use your suggestions to the benefit of future event planning.

I obviously can’t speak for everyone here… But I seriously doubt people are all that concerned about why they were getting disconnected. It’s not like there was a massive outcry about everyone getting disconnected…

I think the DC issue has entirely to do with losing progress as a result of the DC. My computer overheated at one point and it was as if the last 25 minutes we entirely wasted. Because there was ZERO reward until the end. It should have given X blooms per event completed (not tagged) plus your standard greens/blues/trash, at the very least.

Posted by: Immobilize.7461

Immobilize.7461

how to improve this event, make players get one buff that can go into negative time if they dont complete events (to stop afking), make the map get rewards the same for all players if the event completed reach the amount needed to get a reward or more if you get extra events done in the time limit.

all rewards should be equal for everyone in the map for players who do not have negative time buff on the player each event completed should add a small amount back onto the buff timer bronze should only add very small durations upto gold adding the correct amount to balance out the average it would take to stay just above the negative buff amount so you will get the end reward

Agree with this, also would be nice if rewards are giving out in stages, with a bonus in the end. That way people who have to leave before the event run it’s course will not feel it wasted of their time.

Also might consider giving 1-6 tier loot weapons/armor out on completed mini events etc. While I agree single mobs should not drop loot, so we don’t zerg mobs and ignore event objective, getting nothing to after the event, how ever nice the rewards are, feels like we ain’t getting anything. (edit: also with the option that you only get reward from 1 event at the time, to prevent tag event jumping)

And please don’t make events in a loop where we have to play at least 3-4 hours a day, to get all daily rewards. While I like playing this game, I don’t like the requirement of playing at least 3 hours before I can leave again.

(edited by Immobilize.7461)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I see a couple of valid questions:

• Will blooms be useful in the future?
  • Will the items currently on offer be returning?

I will ask about those tomorrow — it’s the weekend here in Bellevue — and will answer as soon as I know more. I’m sorry that I cannot give that information today, but I truly do not know the answers to those two questions.

A note, please: The moderators continue to report comments to me with questions about their value. I think I covered this, but as a reminder: Someone commenting “I don’t like this” or “I did it and I quit” or “I had lag and it’s your fault” isn’t helpful. Why? Not because that person is being “negative” or because we’re in denial about what they believe is a network issue, but because they are not offering any points of action, any suggestions, anything that helps us with the objective of this thread.

Commenting "Rewards would be improved if you [offered this] or “I’d like to see this event again if you [did that]” is the sort of info we’d very much like to see. Why? Because we want constructive ideas that help us make future events that are fun, meaningful, rewarding, and involving.

There are many, many helpful ideas in this thread, both large and small, new and old. Thank you to those who are contributing in a constructive way.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Realizer.6120

Realizer.6120

The event was a bit short. We can all attest to that. Whether that’s a good or bad thing, I’m not sure.

The amount of bloom rewards were fine. GW2 players are just too used to grinding events that will allow them to purchase ALL the rewards offered by event vendors and I feel like some players are upset that this is not the case with the Mordrem invasion event. Personally I’m completely fine with events like these that offer limited rewards during a limited time.

The initial reward bug was unfortunate but it happens, right? The issue was addressed and rectified quickly and players retroactively awarded blooms. That’s great.

Event mobs not dropping loot and event completion not awarding karma was a bit discouraging. Maybe reduced amount of karma and loot drop could be awarded if ANet feels like it might affect the economy.

My biggest gripe was how the event encouraged tagging and running to obtain the largest stack of defender buff. This was a big NO-NO in a game like GW2 where acts of helping each other and cooperating are rewarded.

Overall, the event was more than fine for a limited time event, but the tagging and running nature of it all really turned me off.

It’s not a problem for people who don’t work 45+ hours a week, but for those that do that, and school, makes it practically impossible to get 450 in any reasonable amount of time. For the kids, and retired folks, I’m sure they did fine, but for the middle aged working class person, it didn’t work out.

Posted by: snowwie.9543

snowwie.9543

I believe it would have been better for the rewards to be map-based, so you get a small amount for completing the event but at the same time a bonus for the amount of events completed on that server/map. Like on the Silverwastes.

Posted by: winters.3521

winters.3521

Hello,

The Mordrem Invasion event will run through its allotted time. It ends at 9:00 AM tomorrow, Monday. As explained in my earlier thread, no changes will be made to the event beyond the fixes that were made on Thursday and, of course, the distribution of earned rewards for those who were impacted by that bug. (The bug ran from 9:00 AM until about 4:00 PM Pacific time. If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I hope this info is helpful to you. And thanks to those of you who provided constructive suggestions about the event — your thoughts are very appreciated. What’s constructive: “Rewards might be [this]” or “I like the rewards in [that] and suggest you adopt that system for this sort of event.” What’s not constructive: “Rewards are bad” (with absolutely no suggestions for how they might be improved).

Thank you for your response and clarification on the possibility of this event recurring in whatever form applicable.

I do ask one further question however; The Mordrem Blooms will be a one time currency for this event only, or will they make an appearance as a currency for an event in the future and/or part of the Heart of Thorns expansion?

Posted by: Ironwill.5389

Ironwill.5389

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback,
I think this is a mistake from a player retention perspective, but can understand wanting to let the event slide into obscurity (much like southsore..)

The rewards weren’t bad, just unbalanced for the amount of gold/time and the event blooms too low to make the event rewarding. (more blooms/faster events/lower price etc would have made the event a little better)
I would point out that a masterwork essence of luck at 10 blooms (i.e. one half hour event, plus an hour wait max) assuming you get to 10 stacks of the buff, is pretty stingy.

Perhaps a rare or exotic version would have been more optimized for the opportunity cost. (seriously, for the wp costs to get those 10 blooms you could buy blues to salvage and get a better return… I assume it was a way to help new players max out their luck and was accidentally undersized)

In terms of the daily rewards, a more targeted reward choice (more chests with fewer option inside) might have helped people, expecially with at most 12 chances to get something from the rewards chest.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

I believe it would have been better for the rewards to be map-based, so you get a small amount for completing the event but at the same time a bonus for the amount of events completed on that server/map. Like on the Silverwastes.

I think this ( with a Champ at the end of each mini event that you need to get credit on for some extra rewards) in combination with less emphasis or non at all on personal buffs would have made it so-much-better.

I Imagine it would be like a wvw in pve feeling of community – everyone in Kessex working to slay every event on the map – you could even incentivise it by having the maps compete Against each other for some extra bonus on top – like the wvw Tournies with bronze silver and gold.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

I think the boss phase in the Silverwastes is a perfect example for good reward design: You get a personal, decent reward if your boss succeeds, but you get an even better reward if the map succeeds as a whole.

This basic design principle should be applied to all types of massive open world content. After a baseline reward for participating and meaningful contribution, all the effort you put in should benefit everyone on the map, including yourself.

Also, hasting from event to event isn’t fun. Hasting to an event and arriving late is even frustrating. In that sense: Less, but more impactful events would make things way better.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

(edited by aRestless.6213)

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

I will ask about those tomorrow — it’s the weekend here in Bellevue — and will answer as soon as I know more. I’m sorry that I cannot give that information today, but I truly do not know the answers to those two questions.

A note, please: The moderators continue to report comments to me with questions about their value. I think I covered this, but as a reminder: Someone commenting “I don’t like this” or “I did it and I quit” or “I had lag and it’s your fault” isn’t helpful. Why? Not because that person is being “negative” or because we’re in denial about what they believe is a network issue, but because they are not offering any points of action, any suggestions, anything that helps us with the objective of this thread.

Commenting "Rewards would be improved if you [offered this] or “I’d like to see this event again if you [did that]” is the sort of info we’d very much like to see. Why? Because we want constructive ideas that help us make future events that are fun, meaningful, rewarding, and involving.

There are many, many helpful ideas in this thread, both large and small, new and old. Thank you to those who are contributing in a constructive way.

Gaile , i understand you need better feedbacks , but this is not a new game , this game have 3 years , and still you made this kind of alpha event with a lot of error and bugs… i don’t want to be rude , but idk… i feel like you did this event only for do something.. without a real reason , passion and logic ; i don’t know if you played this event , but this event show to new player/ftp player the worst attitude of the gw2 community , ppl who only tag event and don’t help other player to finish the event , ppl who don’t ress because they have to tag a lot of event… it’s really strange that arenanet with all the experience they have after 3 years can’t thought about made this event rewards map based: give blossom based on how much the entire map (overflow) play with coordinations…. and strategy splitting the ppl with logic.

I think creating this morderm invasion was a big mistake.. and who worked on this event have wasted time for nothing…
if you want to show somethink good to new player you can simply bring back 2 of the better content you ever created: SAB and Twisted Marionette.

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Given that the vendors will remain in game for some time to come, I think a more prudent question would be: Would it be possible for future events to also offer blooms, and simply allow the vendors to remain indefinately?

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

Hello,

Main feedback, as always:
Dedicated players should be able to get many of the rewards, if not most. It’d be nice to see currency income or reward price match that goal. Let casuals pick one or two out. Let the dedicated get a few rewards. Let the hardcore afford many or even most.

Implementation could be as minor as raising bloom reward or lowering bloom cost (especially that insane gold cost that seems entirely out of place), or as complex as adding wiggly chests per event with blooms based on bronze/silver/gold participation and a chance of getting a reward like scarlet’s box or a mini egg, again based on participation.
This might keep people on events rather than tagging and running, and might keep people active throughout the event time frame rather than rushing 10 stacks of the defender buff and then AFKing somewhere safe until it’s all over.

Specific feedback to ANet:
I don’t want to sound rude, but I think one of the reasons players are “hot under the collar” on this topic is It feels like you’re not communicating. We players have no idea how an event like this made it into the game. We have no idea what the review process was like when the complaints began pouring in. And we have no idea why you would decide to leave something like this completely unchanged.

Is it as simple as “Busy on HoT, we’re all putting in overtime to meet the deadline”?
Could it be “No one’s in on the weekends so the event could not be changed much after it went live”?
Perhaps “The event actually worked out exactly as we had planned and we’re satisfied enough with the outcome that we see no point in adjusting it”?

It might be unpopular for ANet to come out and say “we didn’t want new players to get speed-leveled by events and flooded with karma” and “we wanted to keep old skins and effects somewhat prestigious for the sake of the people who earned them when they were new” but some kind of explanation of thought process and reasoning would go a long way towards relaxing the community.

By my reckoning players have provided dozens of pages of feedback and have received in return a handful of defensive replies with the intention of encouraging players to be more constructive rather than provide players any new information beyond the bare minimum: “This will be patched.” “Devs know about the feedback.” “Event will not be changed.” None of the context around those things has come to light. It makes me feel sorry for the community team squeezed between unhappy players and devs that’re probably worn thin by their upcoming deadline.

Posted by: Magical Things.8465

Magical Things.8465

Gaile,

I think one big part your missing that has been repeated several times is that we shouldn’t have to give the development team constructive ideas on how to fix a seriously broken event. You have the data. You know what has worked in the past from all the very well constructed holiday events, living story, etc. Your asking for us to provide constructive ideas on an event that was so far from the normal “recipe” of past GW2 events that it failed miserably.

This was a simple event for the development team to release compared to the complexity of an expansion such as HoT. What keeps coming to mind is if the development team can’t release a live temporary event not totally broken then why should us as a community have faith that the expansion won’t have grave consequences upon release. While I have realistic expectations coming from a development background, sure there will be unforseen events and some features broken. But for the development team to respond with “have faith you’ll get your rewards in a few days” is very unsettling. Who are they that I should trust so fully with my invaluable time?

I’m not one to demand unreasonable rewards or concessions. At this point I really don’t care if I receive nothing from the event. I do hope that this failed event is addressed with the development team so that another utter failure isn’t released in the future. These are the things that cause people to loose faith in the development team. Something you really don’t want if you want those sales from the expansion.

Thanks for your continued understanding and communication.

Posted by: LadySilverHand.6841

LadySilverHand.6841

….If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I am curious if those affected by this (like myself) need to submit a ticket for it, or to simply wait?

<3 Thank you for the fun, Anet~

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

The event it self was a good idea will give it that. I know was intended for old players an new players to join forces on the battle field and all that.
*But I think it was handled the wrong way, the amount of rewards the blooms compared to the cost of getting anything from the Bloom-vender is to off balanced specially for new players.
*To many Tag an runs going on, they don’t help finish the events or help the people who are trying to fight the Mordrem back.
*Like many have said the rewards should be based on number of incursions stopped not the stack to help cut the taggers down. During the invasion of LA the events where based on numbers stopped for better rewards. To me that seemed to work.
*Also the mobs should least give exp, even some random minor loot that is map related. Champs should drop Blooms maybe 1-5.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

….If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I am curious if those affected by this (like myself) need to submit a ticket for it, or to simply wait?

Valid question, thanks for asking: I’ve seen the spreadsheets for distributions passing by in an e-mail. At this time I would say that you do not need to submit a ticket to receive rewards that you earned but did not receive during the period when the bug was active. Participation and missing rewards were recorded in game data, and distributions will be made based on that data.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hello,

Very bad, very poor decision, IMHO. The event should, at the very very least, extend to Friday. But if that’s what your head thinks, that’s what we suffer. :/

But how about this question: Will Mordrem Blooms be used in the future, or should we use them all before the vendors disappear?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Good
- Nice rewards to choose from with blooms
- Good incentives to do different maps
- Fun events, could be a little more elaborate (like having to plant the bombs instead of throwing them, but you’d have to kill another type of enemy to receive protective slime so you can place the bomb), but for once it wasn’t ‘’hack down a boss in 4 minutes’‘. Might be a bit of personal bias that I prefer more thorough mechanics.
- Decent amount of blooms, albeit only when you’re getting daily map rewards (more later).

Bad
- Doesn’t make sense that there’s absolutely no XP / Karma / Silver for completing an event.
- Look at what you did right in Silverwastes. Mobs don’t give loot there, the events do. Why choose to abandon a working model?
- No real value in sticking around an event. Either do it like you already are doing… again, you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. You already have proper designs that make this work nicely. (See Toxic Offshoot events, or see map wide rewards in SIlverwastes)
- Overall way too easy
- Scaling issues, not much feedback to give other than it was done poorly (there’s super easy events where mobs die in 1 hit, and there’s moments where you’re level 18 at a level 27 event)
- Blooms hold decent value, but you can only earn a decent amount if you get the daily map reward. Considering the event is so short. This makes it so that you either have to grind a lot to get what you want, or you can only choose a couple rewards. This feels very punishing to the people who want more than 2 skins or 1 potion.
- Daily rewards; miss out and you’re screwed. Not a nice philosophy. These only work with long term dailies (look at daily login, good system).
- Way too short in duration.
- Having more maps or simply not putting a daily cap on the map rewards could’ve solved a lot of your reward issues.
- No real reason to be in a guild, really confusing advertisement.
- Not knowing wether blooms will be obtainable in the future is really bad communication.
- No real reasons to cooperate with other people, the event rewards make it a very selfish event.
- Gold barriers on the rewards are too punishing for new players, while it was advertised for them specifically.

All in all, I really don’t get why the event was done so poorly. It boggles me.

The saddest part is, almost all the bad things could’ve been fixed easily. This isn’t some major overhaul to the event and therefor I find it very sad that it left so many people with a bad taste in their mouth. This wasn’t a proper quality event, and not because the event itself was poorly designed.

I also don’t get why you wouldn’t rerun the event… many people want the shinies that are being offered but are held back by the immense grind that it takes to get more than a decent amount of blooms.

(edited by eekzie.5640)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Scarlet invasion was map wide effort. Either people choose to do all the events and fight Scarlet at the end OR they decided to farm. The Mordrem Invasion is, kill one enemy and then waypoint to the next location. Kill one enemy, then waypoint again. Was Scarlet Invasion so bad that a map teamwork event is no longer encourage for invasions? If it was unforseen players would act this way, then I understand. But the event seems to encourage individual gain versus team play.