More slick and elegant weapon skins please!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

100% agree. Theres so many nice skins in the game but most of them suffer from being oversized which makes them look odd.

I was considering getting the Ley Line focus because its the first non pink glowy focus which goes relatively well with infinite light. Unfortunately its too big so i have changed my mind. It would be perfect if it was half the size. They dont need to be huge to look nice anet!

They need to be huge to look nice from more than 5 feet away.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

100% agree. Theres so many nice skins in the game but most of them suffer from being oversized which makes them look odd.

I was considering getting the Ley Line focus because its the first non pink glowy focus which goes relatively well with infinite light. Unfortunately its too big so i have changed my mind. It would be perfect if it was half the size. They dont need to be huge to look nice anet!

We usually watch our characters quite close so no need to be huge.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

All these surfboard greatswords

Haha, so true.

I can’t bring myself to play a greatsword-anything because of this. Almost all swords and daggers are also oversized. Ah well, back to my engi who doesn’t have that problem.

Since to an engineer, big is always good, and that they gulp down those elixirs, some having random effects…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

It’s a bit of a catch22, make them small and realistic then they’re difficult to see in detail, but make them big and bulky and they look like crap (to many of us).

It’d just be nice if they balanced out those decisions a bit more, made more realistic and correctly scaled items. No need to get rid of the surfboards, or the giant focus items and what not, but just start giving us some more of the alternative to balance out the options.

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Infinite Light, Bonetti’s Rapier and the Lovestruck sword to a certain extent are the only good looking swords in this game.

While I agree that these 3 are all nicelooking swords, I can think of afew others that look pretty good. Canes Justice and whisperblade comes to mind.

Personally tho, I’d rather have some of the GW1 weaponskins tho:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/a/ac/Mallyx%27s_Edge.jpg/120px-Mallyx%27s_Edge.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/a/a1/Judgment.jpg/120px-Judgment.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/7/79/Demrikov%27s_Judgement.jpg/120px-Demrikov%27s_Judgement.jpg

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

All these surfboard greatswords

Haha, so true.

I can’t bring myself to play a greatsword-anything because of this. Almost all swords and daggers are also oversized. Ah well, back to my engi who doesn’t have that problem.

Since to an engineer, big is always good

Whaaaat? We’re all about precision!

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

Can you guys please not ask for a bunch for boring swords to be released? We have a enough of these in the form of basic skins when you get while you’re leveling up. While giant buster swords aren’t my thing either, I sure don’t want the majority of my options in this fantasy game to be boring practical kitten I could get irl. These designs already dominate the amount of unique skins we have, do you know how hard it is to find things like rifles that don’t look boring or awful? Ugh.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Can you guys please not ask for a bunch for boring swords to be released? We have a enough of these in the form of basic skins when you get while you’re leveling up. While giant buster swords aren’t my thing either, I sure don’t want the majority of my options in this fantasy game to be boring practical kitten I could get irl. These designs already dominate the amount of unique skins we have, do you know how hard it is to find things like rifles that don’t look boring or awful? Ugh.

There’s a Huge difference between Boring and Realistic,should look it up.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing a reappearance of the Tengu weapons that were available in the bonus mission pack. I had the Tengu sword and bow. They were puuuurty

Posted by: DivineRequiem.2710

DivineRequiem.2710

Agreed. Weapons in this game look hideous (with a very few exceptions which are very hard to get).

But a lot of you have a problem with a “realistic” look of them. There is already bezillion weps that look nothing special and dull. If you want realistic approach we’d have only weapons like

http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/media/Valiant/cf408.jpg

Its a fantasy game, I don’t care how short the handle is, how many belts it has or what it’s made of – I prefer the priory crystal weps over most other (at lest the swords) in that price range and don’t give a kitten about how inefficient it would be. I want them to look GOOD, not realistic :L Staffs look pathetic in this game. Staffs, focuses, scepters, they are suppose to be magical weapons, yet there is NOTHING magical about them. It’s a fantasy game, so I expect fantasy/magical feel about weapons as well – without tons of extra work…

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Ha ha. That is one great looking sword. DivineRequiem. I would LOVE to have that in game.

Personal tastes vary so much.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Seems some people find realistic weapons boring, because they tend to be minimalistic and practical. Well guess what.
Minimalism is not the lack of something, it’s the perfect amount of something.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

As someone who has way too many hours logged in the game, with 10 alts that need the perfect combination of nice looking weapons and armor, I often struggle with finding suitable weapons.

I was having real issues with daggers until the ascended skins were released and I fell in love with the white colored skins.

But the real struggle still remains for me and it is with the swords. Five of my chracters use that weapon but there are not enough slick weapons with nice texture, so I have to recycle skins. Add to that, that I grow tired of skins pretty quickly (unless it is something really shiny and required a lot of effort to acquire). So, what is the real issue with the skins that are available:

Bonetti’s rapier - while it is elegant, with nice color and slick movements, it is also way too common, really cheap to get and has no particle effects. I know many people like that, but I need my weapons to be shiny.

Lovestruck sword - once we got tired of the rapier, this sword was released. The problem is that it is shorter, the color is too matte, making it look cheaper. The pink glow makes it usefull only for a certain type of characters.

Fractal sword - the one that everyone lusts for and grinds fractals like crazy. But what happens when you manage to get it fairly early in the game, and have acquired 3 more of it till now. All my characters have been weilding it for years, and I am dying to get something different.

Whisperblade - slick and shiny pink sword. It is pink, and without the glow it is just a regular simple iron sword. If you already have the Vision of the mists, its appeal gets even smaller.

Jormag’s breath - the first “expensive” weapon I crafted. It is incredible how quickly one can grow tired of that constantly moving blue flame.

I am purposely excluding Infinite Light - because it is insanely expensive to craft and looks way too ordinary.

What is left? A small selection of cheap and average looking swords.

And why does the sword have to be thin? It is my personal preferance. While I enjoy wealding a giant broad greadsword, I believe the one handed sword needs to be elegant. But the recently released skins (in the past 6 months) have all had a combination of oversized weapons with unappealing textures. The Dragon Jade and Phoenix weapons look like plastic, The Lay Line are glowing stones, The Ambrite are too big, without effects. With the Sovereign Skins I feel that my character is using a piece of a shiny temple wall as a weapon.

I really look forward to the time when Anet will release a sword that is thin, has a slight curve and a glow (anything but fire). Tera has some really nice looking swords though.

I also find it hard to find a descend looking scepter. The ascended ones are pretty cool but also easy to grow tired of. The Mistforged hero scepter is filling the void for now.

I am however very satisfied with the selection of greatswords, staffs and longbows.

(edited by IceVyper.6810)

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

But a lot of you have a problem with a “realistic” look of them. There is already bezillion weps that look nothing special and dull. If you want realistic approach we’d have only weapons like

You need only look at the swords in GW1 to know that that isn’t true. Realism and esthetics do not cancel each other out.

I want them to look GOOD, not realistic :L

Realistic == good looking weapons

They tend to look bad when they are designed by people who don’t understand weapons. That is when we get carts with square wheels, swords that are unwieldable and cannot kill anyone, and bows that cannot fire arrows.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

While not being really realistic, this is also a sword I would love to see in GW2:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Elemental_Sword.jpg

I bet it would look awesome on a Guardian…

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Those are green drops, but the exact weapons skins are, as follows (same order as above):
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Runic_Blade.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Katana.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Envoy_Sword.jpg

(can check my post on the previous page for more realistic/elegant skins)

I really, really, couldn’t care less. I linked the weapons cause those are the ones I happened to have in close proximity.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

There is a theory that some undead take more damage from bludgeoning weapons and others from slashing weapons, I wonder if they are trying to design swords that count as both.

There are 4 damage types in GW2 (potentially a 5th, but no known in-game examples). One of those is “Physical”. There are no delineations like there were in GW1 into Slash/Pierce/Bludgeoning.

Chrispy.5641

Keyword. You usually watch your characters quite close. That’s all good, but what about the million other players who play this game. When I’m playing a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME, I like to see what other characters have equipped by a quick glance or look at them and if larger weapons get that job done, then it should stay that way.

I don’t exactly like your idea of squinting for ten seconds to see if that small sword at the character’s side is a Spanish style Rapier with a Cup hilt, or an Italian style Rapier with a Swept hilt, only to find that after five more seconds of squinting that its just a simple arming sword from an earlier period. yeah, that sounds really interesting, but….No!

- Realistic is fine, but the weapon has to be big enough to notice the individual details, otherwise it will get lost and look the exact same as every other weapon made the same size. At that point, what is the point in wasting resources to make a bunch of swords that all look the same?

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: Thomas.3890

Thomas.3890

Look this is an MMO, everyone will have a different opinion on what looks good,
or is a good use of the developers resources.

Just because you have a different point of view on what looks good does not make
your taste more (or less) valuable than others.

As shown with the interest in Bonetti`s rapier and Belinda`s odachi/katana,
there is a substantial group that likes these skins.

I would pay up to a 1000 gems if that meant I could get a skin like the one linked
by DivineRequiem.2710
(http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/media/Valiant/cf408.jpg).
What looks bad to one person might look perfect for the other.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Keyword. You usually watch your characters quite close. That’s all good, but what about the million other players who play this game. When I’m playing a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE PLAYING GAME, I like to see what other characters have equipped by a quick glance or look at them and if larger weapons get that job done, then it should stay that way.

I don’t exactly like your idea of squinting for ten seconds to see if that small sword at the character’s side is a Spanish style Rapier with a Cup hilt, or an Italian style Rapier with a Swept hilt, only to find that after five more seconds of squinting that its just a simple arming sword from an earlier period. yeah, that sounds really interesting, but….No!

- Realistic is fine, but the weapon has to be big enough to notice the individual details, otherwise it will get lost and look the exact same as every other weapon made the same size. At that point, what is the point in wasting resources to make a bunch of swords that all look the same?

This is going to sound terrible but I personally do not care what others can see. I care about what I can see of my Character.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

(edited by Lambent.6375)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing a reappearance of the Tengu weapons that were available in the bonus mission pack. I had the Tengu sword and bow. They were puuuurty

I loved the Tengu shield.

The amount of shield skins that I would be caught wielding can be counted on one hand in GW2…. less so if you count the ones that don’t clip on my charr’s armor.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Azhure.1857

We are not asking for all weapons to be like what we’re suggesting. We ARE asking for more options for us. It does not have to be one way or another in the case of weapons skins. Diversity here is NOT a bad thing.

Some of us like slim weapons. We like the detail on them and the beauty – we don’t need them to be giant adult play toy like paddles in order to /flex and feel kitten.

The OP’s suggestion shouldn’t even be an issue.
You don’t like sleek weapons? Don’t use them.
You like large weapons instead? Okay, go use them.

Shocking, I know.

Azhure.1857

This is going to sound terrible but I personally do not care what others can see. I care about what I can see of my Character.

That doesn’t sound terrible at all, Teofa. Please remember that when you purchased the game you didn’t do it to play by other players rules or expectations, only your own. You are within your rights to want this. Its not like you’re asking for a shield with a giant hand flipping everyone the bird on it and then you’re saying you “don’t care what others do or do not see on your character”.

Personally my characters are not in game for other people’s amusement and/or inspection. They are there for ME.

Chrispy.5641

That doesn’t sound terrible at all, Teofa. Please remember that when you purchased the game you didn’t do it to play by other players rules or expectations, only your own. You are within your rights to want this. Its not like you’re asking for a shield with a giant hand flipping everyone the bird on it and then you’re saying you “don’t care what others do or do not see on your character”.

Personally my characters are not in game for other people’s amusement and/or inspection. They are there for ME.

So…..Guild Wars 2 is a single player game now?

Azhure.1857

So…..Guild Wars 2 is a single player game now?

Don’t know where I said that?

Tell me… when you dress in the morning, is it so you can be stopped and inspected by everyone or do you dress for yourself? Granted there are exceptions to this but lets keep this thread PG shall we?

Don’t think anyone in the real world would stop someone and say they’re not allowed to wear a certain shirt because the print on it isn’t large enough.

Azhure.1857

You can get smart with me all you want.

But only ArenaNet can tell me what I am allowed to wear and/or wield in this game, not you or anyone else. And guess what? There are already some weapons in game that are sleek and the game hasn’t broken nor caused anyone to go blind because they’ve had to look “closely” to see exactly what every passerby is or isn’t wearing/wielding.

The supporters of this thread are NOT asking for the removal of fat cartoonish weapon skins… They’re asking for more of what they like.
You have no authority to say they can’t have that. Just as we have no authority to say you can’t wield fat/large weapons.

Chrispy.5641

Is there two different Azhure’s posting or is the forum’s edit function just lost on you?

Edit : Oh wait. That’s getting smart with you, right?

Azhure.1857

I’ve seen another Azure before, which is no surprise. But no other Azhure.
Any other questions?

Thomas.3890

Is there two different Azhure’s posting or is the forum’s edit function just lost on you?

Edit : Oh wait. That’s getting smart with you, right?

Could you please refrain from personal attacks? It isn`t beneficial to the discussion and it only makes you look bad. (It`s not really gentlemanly of you to try and get this into bickering territory and possibly get the thread closed.)

Chrispy.5641

Yeah….you have no idea what I posted, do you? From my first post in this thread, I pointed out that a possible reason that many weapons were designed to look larger than realistic sized was because this is a multiplayer game and it made sense for the weapons to look big, and slightly unrealistic.

The coment that I made at the top of this page was made on the assumption that you read this whole thread, and knew what I had posted earlier, but obviously you don’t care about that. In the next post after that, I said that there is no point in designing a bunch of similar looking weapons because it would be a waste of time, I posted that on the assumption that you and everyone else read the whole thread. You ignored that too.

Seriously, ever heard of editing posts instead of posting 2-3-4 times in a row? You still failed to answer that, which just supports my statement again, that you don’t like reading. There are posts of people complaining about those big, ugly looking weapons and not just asking for more elegant looking ones. A good example is this post I am about to reply to.

You need only look at the swords in GW1 to know that that isn’t true. Realism and esthetics do not cancel each other out.

I want them to look GOOD, not realistic :L

Realistic == good looking weapons

They tend to look bad when they are designed by people who don’t understand weapons. That is when we get carts with square wheels, swords that are unwieldable and cannot kill anyone, and bows that cannot fire arrows.

You do know that Bonetti’s Rapier isn’t a realistic weapon for this game, right? The Blade is about a foot too long, and the handle looks like it was made for two hands (or a big fat charr hand). Either way, the unrealistic length of the blade (when compared to a Human/Norn/Sylvari character) would throw the entire thing off balance, and get you killed just as fast as any other unrealistic weapon in this game. It would be great for parrying and stabbing, you know, actual rapier stuff (in which case, the blade length would be right, but the thickness of the blade…..yeah….once any weapon heavier than itself clashed with it, its done. also, don’t forget the handle length compared to human characters would still be horrible unbalanced). almost all sword attacks in this game are of the slashing variety, something that rapiers aren’t good at doing, unless you are fighting something composed of only flesh. The moment it clashes with armor (or thick Drake scales, or anything else thicker than skin), it would be rendered just as useless as any ‘unrealistic’ weapon in this game.

Then again. This is a fantasy game. Nothing has to be the perfect realistic design to be functional, since a chainsaw swings just as effectively as what is essentially Glass
They just need to look good, and big enough to look unique and distinguishable from other weapons of the same type (….otherwise, again, what would even be the point of making them if they all look the same on a computer screen?)

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Thomas.3890

Then again. This is a fantasy game. Nothing has to be the perfect realistic design to be functional

You are correct, it doesn`t have to be realistic looking. Doesn`t mean they aren`t allowed to be realistic looking.

We are merely asking for weapons we like, not for weapons someone might like/recognize from afar. And that`s all we are asking for: more skins on the other side of the spectrum.

It seems like you don`t want this to happen. Why? What is there to gain from preventing more options for other people? I`m truly curious as to why.

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

I will just be here. Literally whacking enemies with a rapier sooner than stabbing with it, because my character is unable to comprehend how to wield a thin blade.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I will just be here. Literally whacking enemies with a rapier sooner than stabbing with it, because my character is unable to comprehend how to wield a thin blade.

My slightly off kilter GW Monk Mercenary keeps saying “The pointy end goes in the other mans” but honestly, some designs don’t allow it.

Chrispy.5641

Then again. This is a fantasy game. Nothing has to be the perfect realistic design to be functional

You are correct, it doesn`t have to be realistic looking. Doesn`t mean they aren`t allowed to be realistic looking.

We are merely asking for weapons we like, not for weapons someone might like/recognize from afar. And that`s all we are asking for: more skins on the other side of the spectrum.

It seems like you don`t want this to happen. Why? What is there to gain from preventing more options for other people? I`m truly curious as to why.

I already answered your question, and explain several of the issues present in designing small, no detail weapons. I have explained it from a design perspective, From an ‘easy recognition’ perspective, from an egotistical MMO “I want to Look cooler than you” perspective, and from a ‘form over function and function over form’ perspective. I see no point in repeating anything I have said. It might help if you read, even if the post isn’t directed towards you.

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

I just can’t wrap my head around how you all asking for something practical in a fantasy mmo. You have your basic weapon skins, the rapier, infinite light… Most karma skins actually fall into what you seem to be wanting. The game already has this kitten, the only thing Anet needs to add for sure is Belinda’s greatsword, that kitten was great.

Point is, there isn’t enough unique and cool skins in this game to begin with. Especially not for staves and rifles. I would appreciate it if people would actually lobby for more cool things to be added to this FANTASY game instead of stupid crap I could buy irl. You want a realistic sword? Go get a karma skin, they fit that bill perfectly.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Point is, there isn’t enough unique and cool skins in this game to begin with. Especially not for staves and rifles. I would appreciate it if people would actually lobby for more cool things to be added to this FANTASY game instead of stupid crap I could buy irl. You want a realistic sword? Go get a karma skin, they fit that bill perfectly.

The fantasy game argument again? Look, video games are an art form. I think there’s nothing wrong with calling the artists out on their responsibilities. Fantasy is no excuse for dumb designs.

Some of these weapons may be fantasy, but they are not weapons. They are like wagons with square wheels, or like wooden chainsaws, or a rifle with a plugged barrel. They can’t work, not even in a fantasy game. Even a fantasy bow still needs to be able to fire an arrow. Even a fantasy sword still needs to be able to cut things. Fantasy is no excuse for poor research or poor art design.

Once artists actually research the subject, they can come up with far better looking fantasy weapons that at least do what they are intended to do.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Thomas.3890

I already answered your question, and explain several of the issues present in designing small, no detail weapons. I have explained it from a design perspective, From an ‘easy recognition’ perspective, from an egotistical MMO “I want to Look cooler than you” perspective, and from a ‘form over function and function over form’ perspective. I see no point in repeating anything I have said. It might help if you read, even if the post isn’t directed towards you.

I did not find where you answer why you want to prevent others having more options.
I`l check again. Maybe you could give me a quote?

As for the issues:

1) difficulties from a designing perspective:

So you are saying it is technically impossible, or crazy hard to make something like the mithril swordskin and do this:
- make the guard thinner
- make the blade more pristine like the surface of this dagger (http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/gw2-soulshard-dagger-2.jpg)

2) easy to recognition perspective
This is based on the premise that there is a need for this, as I have explained there isn`t for us.

As for some examples that it can be done in a multiplayer setting (this was using the older gw engine):
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0c/Forgotten_Sword.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/48/Bartholos%27_Shining_Blade.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a1/Judgment.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/c/c7/Rajazan%27s_Fervor.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/f/f5/The_Holy_Avenger.jpg

It seems it wasn`t a problem in the game`s predecessor?

“It wasn`t a full mmo” —> How about some examples from Gw2 that are detailed yet small:
-http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gw2-komalies-sacrificial-blade-champion-weapon-skins.jpg
- http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gw2-antons-boot-blade-dagger-champion-weapon-skins-5.jpg
- http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/gw2-glimmerfang-dagger-2.jpg

Or examples from other games:
Mount and blade:
http://www.medispective.com/Portals/0/images/MountAndBlade/paradox-interactive-will-launch-mount-and-blade-2_thumb.jpg

http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110324/mountblade_withfireandsword_11_17491.jpg

3) I want to look cooler than you perspective
How does this in any way have any validity to it? Looks are subjective. If I say I think the mithril sword skin looks cooler than Zap you have no grounds to say otherwise.

4) form over function and function over form’ perspective:
What? Are you saying form/looks is more important than function? If so I believe we are back to point 3.

And function over form means realistic swords would still be more useful.

Let me give some examples of why big blades would be bad aside from the weight (no gravity in Tyria? Or they use magic to make it weightless) from a functional standpoint:

- surface area: have you ever tried to hold on to a large surface when it`s windy?

- obstruction of the users view

- material needed to build a big blade: there is no need to use that much orichalum or wathever they use to build it. It would only make it more expensive.

Those are some reasons within the rules of the “fantasy” setting of mmo`s that would make realistic looking swords still more usefull.

It might help if you read, even if the post isn’t directed towards you.

And here we are again with the thinly veiled personal attacks.

At that point, what is the point in wasting resources to make a bunch of swords that all look the same?

For all the people that like them?

(edited by Thomas.3890)

Posted by: Jandopo.2107

Jandopo.2107

Guys, enough with this “it’s a fantasy game, keep realistic stuff out of this”. Stop abusing the term “fantasy”.

Do you know The Lord of the Rings? Yes. Is it Fantasy? Of course. Do people in LotR wield stuff like this?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Crystal_Guardian.jpg
Hell no!

Like everyone said, it’s ok to have some TERA-style weapons, of course!
But I’d really like to have more skins like this:

Expecially that Shining Blade.

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Can we please have realistic swords like the beautiful swiss sabre.

Attachments:

Chrispy.5641

Suggesting that you read the thread is a personal attack? Might I suggest that you take a deep breath man. Not everyone is out to get you. And this is not a thinly veiled personal attack on your mind’s health or anything.

Also….

1 – So, you want more daggers?

2 – speaking of daggers, Could you show me a good sword weapon in Gw2 that isn’t a dagger. all 3 examples from this game that you showed me were daggers. Those are supposed to be smaller than swords, and in all the examples you showed me, those daggers are quite large for daggers, and most daggers in this game might as well be considered short swords.

3 – Looks are subjective, and maybe there is a subjective reason for many daggers being so large in this game and that swords are made even larger to compensate. (and if you read my posts in this thread, you would have found out that my favorite weapon skins in the game are the Mithril sword and greatsword. Like I said. Read the thread.)

4 – I actually meant in an earlier post that Form over Function and Function over Form are both meaningless in a Fantasy game.

Guys, enough with this “it’s a fantasy game, keep realistic stuff out of this”. Stop abusing the term “fantasy”.

Do you know The Lord of the Rings? Yes. Is it Fantasy? Of course. Do people in LotR wield stuff like this?
Hell no!

Are you talking about the movies or the books? It doesn’t really matter, considering that almost every weapon in the stories had some otherworldly quality or other because they were forged with magic (eh heh….sorry, totally physical weapon smith skills that no longer exist. Magic had (almost) nothing to do with most of them), or exotic metals like Mithril. Sure, they might ‘look’ like weapons ripped straight out of history , but because of the qualities of the weapons, and the mythical things they could do, the characters in Lord of the Rings (and the Hobbit, and Silmarillion) may as well have wielded weapons like the crystal guardian.

and weapons out of history is debatable because most of the weapons in that story are never fully described. We don’t actually know what they look like. The talking meteor sword from outer space, Gurthang, may as well have been a unrealistically curved sword whose black metal edges were literally on fire. ((Oh look, I also used the Fantasy argument again…))

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: Crixler.2857

Crixler.2857

I mostly agree with this topic. I can’t stand the over-the-top weapons, such as the fused skins. But I also think going too realistic can be a bit boring.
My favorite weapon skin in the entire game is probably Khrysaor. Perhaps it’s not the most realistic thing in the world, but it’s definitely far from stupidly stupid, too. I’d like to see more weapons like it.
I also really like Bonetti’s rapier. The Ebon Vanguard skins are nice, but the coloration on them can be a bit hard to work with at times.

I think Fire Emblem tends to have a pretty good balance between realism and fantasy when it comes to weapons and armor, and I would love to see some skins with that sort of feel to them.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5a/MarthFE3DS.png
http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/fe_awakening_marth_thumb.jpg
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/15/151939/2203813-ephraim.png
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/8ab787ee5c317a0303c85914eb6348d71400851782_full.png
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120213184932/fireemblem/images/0/0d/Hasha_roy.jpg
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080206011524/fireemblem/images/d/db/Fess-ephraim.jpg
http://static.zerochan.net/Tiamat.%28Fire.Emblem%29.full.54153.jpg
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130506033614/fireemblem/images/b/b8/Alm_%28FE13_Artwork%29.jpg
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100602204003/fireemblem/images/c/c3/Myunit_m.png

Lots of reasonably realisticish looking weapons and armors that still manage to look distinctive.

Thomas.3890

Suggesting that you read the thread is a personal attack? Might I suggest that you take a deep breath man. Not everyone is out to get you. And this is not a thinly veiled personal attack on your mind’s health or anything.

Also….

1 – So, you want more daggers?

2 – speaking of daggers, Could you show me a good sword weapon in Gw2 that isn’t a dagger. all 3 examples from this game that you showed me were daggers. Those are supposed to be smaller than swords, and in all the examples you showed me, those daggers are quite large for daggers, and most daggers in this game might as well be considered short swords.

3 – Looks are subjective, and maybe there is a subjective reason for many daggers being so large in this game and that swords are made even larger to compensate. (and if you read my posts in this thread, you would have found out that my favorite weapon skins in the game are the Mithril sword and greatsword. Like I said. Read the thread.)

4 – I actually meant in an earlier post that Form over Function and Function over Form are both meaningless in a Fantasy game.

Hell no!

Are you talking about the movies or the books? It doesn’t really matter, considering that almost every weapon in the stories had some otherworldly quality or other because they were forged with magic (eh heh….sorry, totally physical weapon smith skills that no longer exist. Magic had (almost) nothing to do with most of them), or exotic metals like Mithril. Sure, they might ‘look’ like weapons ripped straight out of history , but because of the qualities of the weapons, and the mythical things they could do, the characters in Lord of the Rings (and the Hobbit, and Silmarillion) may as well have wielded weapons like the crystal guardian.

and weapons out of history is debatable because most of the weapons in that story are never fully described. We don’t actually know what they look like. The talking meteor sword from outer space, Gurthang, may as well have been a unrealistically curved sword whose black metal edges were literally on fire. ((Oh look, I also used the Fantasy argument again…))

Ok seems you didn`t meant it that way, my apologies. Things can be misinterpreted without body-language.

For point 1, I was just pointing out that the texture on that dagger (and some of the newer champion weapons) might give some basic swords a more regal/pristine look.

For point 2: that`s a bit harder, as good sword skins is the thing we are asking for. The models I think might be closest to realistic, would be the honor of humanity sword skin (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/45/Honor_of_Humanity.jpg)
(seems like a mix between the Pompeii and the Fulham type II gladius styles)
and the iron sword skin (and re-textures). I still would make some changes to them (like shortening the handle on Honor of Humanity), but they are pretty close.

I used the daggers to give examples of the level of detail I would like to see ( for example on models like the mithril sword skin). It`s true that most daggers in the game are pretty large.

3: I`m sure the reasons you gave (easier to recognize them / give detail) are good.
But as I pointed out in my post there are plenty of examples in the previous game that fit the bill of being more realistic.
(If I`m not mistaken the GW2 engine is a heavily modified version of the GW1 engine)

- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0c/Forgotten_Sword.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/48/Bartholos%27_Shining_Blade.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a1/Judgment.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/c/c7/Rajazan%27s_Fervor.jpg
- http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/f/f5/The_Holy_Avenger.jpg

And great to hear you like the mithril skins as well.

(And before, I skimmed the rest of the previous posts as it was very late for me, seems I overlooked some information.)

Chrispy.5641

I put together a quick image showing the unrealistic size of swords and daggers in this game. I compared the Mithril sword and ebon vanguard dagger to an actual sword.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Ebon_Vanguard_Dagger.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Mithril_Sword.jpg

The actual sword is a mostly accurate replica of an arming sword. Not sure of which time period, but probably late medieval/early renaissance (probably early renaissance because of the detailed cross guard). 35"(90cm) total length, 28"(71cm) blade length. If you look really close, you can see the words ::

Stainless Steel
Made in Pakistan

That is totally not the point though!!! the point is that I needed a very basic sword to get a size comparison that had a straight blade. The black area of the handle on the replica is roughly the size of my hand (about 3.25"(8.5cm) across). I copied pictures of the Dagger and Sword and up-scaled them until they fit in the relative area (inside the green lines), and that the hand gripping the hilts (as seen in the screenshots) were the same size as my hand would be if I was holding the sword/dagger in real life.

I honestly wasn’t expecting the Ebon Vanguard Dagger to be almost as big as the real world sword is. Its like 30"+ total in length, and it looks like a reasonably sized dagger in the game, at least compared to the sizes of the swords.

The Mithril Sword is the correct size of a longsword, also known by a name that would get censored if I typed it in the forums (hand and a half sword or kitten Sword…see?). Its actually the same size as a Real world Claymore. Its total length is over 50"(127cm) and if it were ripped out of the game and weighed, it would probably weigh 5-6lbs. They were designed for both 1 and 2 handed use, depending on the actual fighting style and strength of the user. You could swing it around with one hand if you really wanted to, but because of the weight, you would probably hurt yourself.

Both the Mithril Sword and the Replica sword are correct in size, the difference is that one was made to be used by One or Two hands(mostly 2 hands) and the other wasn’t. The dagger just isn’t realistic at all, as its the same size as a one handed sword like the replica shown.

Now, probably none of you needed that lesson at all, but think of it like this…..Looking at your computer screen from about 2 feet away (and looking at the screenshot as presented in this post, not on a separate page), you should still be able to tell that that Sword is a Mithril Sword, and that dagger is an Ebon Vanguard Dagger. Looking at the realistic sized sword, you can’t even see the detail in the hilt until you clicked on the image and saw a much larger version.

I actually wouldn’t mind seeing a more detailed sword like the one I showed. The pistols and rifles in the game show a time period approaching colonial times in the real world, but the melee weapons mostly look completely locked in the dark ages. Its going to be the same size as the Mithril sword just to see any detail, even up close, and it would in fact be unrealistically large, otherwise it would be the same size as the daggers in the game.

That’s why I am saying that you won’t see realistic swords in Guild Wars 2 (in size). If you want them to be realistic in form, then they can’t be realistic in size. They will look bigger than they are supposed to, and that’s not really such a bad thing (lets you see all the details!).

Attachments:

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The only thing were asking for is more sleek designs. And less completely over the top inflated designs. I like a lot of the new big weapons. But they are too big for my taste. Id absolutely love them if they were just a bit smaller or a bit thinner on the blade. Focus’s are always way too big. Greatswords often are too broad, they could cut the width in half and you would still be able to see the sword clearly from a distance. Is it so unreasonable to accept that some of us want more variety of sleek designs?

At the moment i have a choice of 4 greatswords, 3 swords, 2 focus’s and 1 dagger that i like and fit this concept. But on the big side theres a huge amount of choice and many of them have really nice designs which could easily be adapted to more slender and realistic sizes and shapes (they dont have to be completely realistic just a bit less over the top). Im just fed up with all my characters having greatswords the size of trees and focus’s that are twice the size of bowling balls.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’m glad so many people are in the same boat.

I’ve got a disco ball and some loud music prepared for the day they finally give us a thin dagger that isn’t 2-4 feet long.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

IMHO this is anet’s best weapon design they should allow us to use it.

Attachments:

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I just want more 1h swords that can actually function as swords and don’t look like paddles or something that would break my wrist while being impossible to stab someone with it.

Like these. WTF even are these?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twin_Sisters
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Alderune%27s_Last_Stand
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ak-Muhl%27s_Jaw
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ley_Line_Sword_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherized_Sword_Skin
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordus_Sword
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Resonator
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Spatha ugly in gw1 and ugly/impractical in gw2, why would you bring it back? Why???

Whats with the absurdly thin grip on these two? They just float in the character’s closed fist they’re so thin. It’s a rookie modeling mistake at best.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Etched_Blade
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ceremonial_Sabre so sad because it’s a very nice sword but the grip is just hilariously bad and it looks even worse next to the ceremonial dagger which has an almost too thick grip.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Good heavens are people always trying to suppress someone else all the time? Some people want more realistic weapons, myself included and there are people crying about it? Why? It’s obvious up close what most people are using or by animations. It’s a stupid argument and the worst part is there is a ton of huge, fat swords and goofy looking stuff in game already. Let people have some realistic look skins or katanas or whatever. The last few weaponsets have been nothing but gaudy stuff so you anti-realistic weapon weirdos can be happy.